Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

9 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I could have said a few more things, but decided to quit while I was ahead.  He walked as far away from me as he could get and still hand out what he described to people coming in as "election information".....no mention of what kind of election information.  Good times, indeed.  Onward!

And that is how you go high! Thank you. Well done. And thank your family for their service. 

• Love 11

Hillary Supporter Here!!.  I can't take it, I don't think I can hold out 8 more days.   I live in Florida and I'm waiting to cast my vote on 11/8 (I like the whole Election Day experience).   I'm on teetering on the edge this week watching the polls.  Every time I look at 538.com I hold my breath.    I"m trying not to watch too much news this week, but i just can't help it.  

Love this forum btw.  I get more real news here from everyone then the cable channels.

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

So yesterday I attended church with my grandmother, my cousin her wife, my parents and husband. As we were leaving I was walking with my grandmother to her car when a Trump supporter who had been up the road putting up signs came running up, certain that we would be supporters of a certain candidate , handed us a  flyer and told us that as Christians we need to pray about this election and spouting the usual bigotry,   well my grandmother, a big mouthed southern broad and liberal as they come said "Lord honey, what do you think I spent the morning doing? I prayed to our good Lord that he not turn that beautiful white house orange, now I thank you for your time but I am going to brunch with my granddaughter right here, my granddaughter over there and her wife who just gave me the most beautiful great grandson anyone has ever laid eyes on and my son and daughter-in-law, we're going to eat, say another little prayer then discuss where we're going for lunch on the 8th after we help elect a God fearing woman as  president, have a blessed day", this poor fool just stood there, shocked and could only mutter "Oh, oh" I love that woman and after a rough weekend of election news, I had a good laugh.

Let me know if your grandma ever decides to run for office.  I will vote for her, even if I have to commit voter fraud to do it.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 24
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Well, I worked the polls again this morning...it was a little better.  I think a lot of people got most of their venting out last week.  I still get some smirks and eye-rolls..maybe a few "not on your life"...but that was it.  I actually am starting to thrive on this.  I live in a southern state which MAY go blue this year.  Our  burg is somewhat divided along racial lines; most of the Republicans are church-going fundamentalists...most of the minorities are Democrats.  I am a female, white, senior-citizen (a tad over 65) and I am the last kind of person the Repubs think is "not one of us"... lol   I like to dress up, maybe wear a strand of pearls and my trusty Birkenstocks with socks.  A cliche' or what?  Oh, apparently this weekend was a full one for our opposition:  they tore-up our Clinton/Kaine signs, moved some of our local senate signs to their tent and pulled up the braces around the pegs for our tent...hoping, I guess, that the wind would blow it over.  Sorry to disappoint.  Good Lord, I will be glad when this is over. 

My trusty opposition hander-outer lectured me this morning on Bengaaaazzzzi.  Obama hates veterans,  Hillary is evil, Democrats are unpatriotic etc.  I sweetly told him my father was a survivor of the Bataan death march and survived 4 years in a POW camp, my brother did two tours of Vietnam and our son is a veteran of Iraq/Afghanistan.  I sweetly asked him if he was a Vietnam Vet; he would be the right age.  "Well, no, didn't have the honor, etc."  sputtering and mumbling.  I could have said a few more things, but decided to quit while I was ahead.  He walked as far away from me as he could get and still hand out what he described to people coming in as "election information".....no mention of what kind of election information.  Good times, indeed.  Onward!

When you say you worked the polls - what do you mean?  and tents?  really?  I've never seen anything like this.  Arent there rules about not doing any campaigning near polling places?

• Love 4

Folks, I've been printing out your posts from my Hotmail account. I regret to inform you that I have been subpoenaed by the FBI for being a nasty woman and must likely be detained at the Ministry of Love for a while. I love Big Orange Blob Brother.

You know, as I was scooping out pumpkin guts from my Jack O'Lantern, I decided that Republicans are just like those g*ddamned pumpkin innards. Seem easy enough to remove when no longer needed, but holy h*ll they don't go without scraping your knuckles raw trying to scoop out all the slime. And, no, it's not worth trying to separate seed from goop. All trash. Be gone.

But maybe I was in a mood because I reread 1984 a few months ago and then last weekend I reread A HandMaid's Tale. Those worlds are bigly, hugely better than a democracy governed by a woman who gets pneumonia and knows someone who printed emails.

I am not an optimist by nature, but I am trying to cling to the sliver of hope that maybe enough people don't want to spend the next four years under a restrictive theocracy with entertainment provided by TrumpTweets.

Meanwhile, I don't even want to put out a Clinton yard sign because neighbors have  Bernie sign up and I don't even want to go there.

Small comfort: I am but a few hours from the Canadian border if anyone wants to meet up and caravan after Nov. 8. Or 28th. Or whenever the orange fool says we can vote or if we really even need to bother. 

Also...baby sloths! I know, they're so 2015. But we had one at our big fat gay wedding and I can't get a refund now if Pence pushes back marriage equality and my marriage becomes "unofficial." 

https://youtu.be/dL-VrVlv3Xo

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 15
23 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

But maybe I was in a mood because I reread 1984 a few months ago and then last weekend I reread A HandMaid's Tale.

Oh dear Lord, is it that bad for you?  It's like junior year lit all over again.  And between all the typical teenage angst and perpetual catastrophic doom, lit was the high point.  For most of my friends "lit was the high point" had very different meaning.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

But maybe I was in a mood because I reread 1984 a few months ago and then last weekend I reread A HandMaid's Tale. Those worlds are bigly, hugely better than a democracy governed by a woman who gets pneumonia and knows someone who printed emails.

Since you mention Handmaid's Tale: BBC Music Radio 6 (in my opinion, the best radio out there) has been running a series on Sundays called "Paperback Writers".  Last Sunday (10.23.2016) it was Ms. Atwood's turn: Paperback Writers: Margaret Atwood.  It'll be archived at their site until about 11.22.2016 (30 days or so). 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't care if this makes me a bad American and/or weak. As I am currently jobless (over a year now, and I'm wondering if it's because of this fugly election cycle that no interviews are forthcoming even though I'm seeing tons of advertisements looking for paralegals), if the WORST should happen, and that Tangerine Tinted Piece of Shite/Orangutan wins, my first call is to my parents for a plane ticket and I'm heading to India until a Democrat takes over the office again.

I dealt with enough racism, prejudice and getting the shit beat out of me because I was the only East Indian in my neighborhood during my elementary school years, then fearing for myself and parents post 9/11, to the point where I added blonde highlights, to take away from how Indian I look. There was such a mob mentality after that, that stupid people couldn't differentiate between Sikhs (who also wear turbans) and how Bin Laden wore his turban--two different styles, but still Sikhs were being murdered because it was assumed they were muslims.

Though it sounds I'm being pessimistic about the outcome, I'm not. I have to believe that there are more sane voters than insane and racists.

One thing that this whole election has done, in my personal opinion of course, is to educate those that were open to the truth and really wanted to know more and to reveal those who are blind to truths and can't accept change. Sometime prejudices can be overcome very simply and one of the best ways is to get to know that neighbor who is different, that co-worker who is outside of the circle, that guy who is so quiet because he's a different color or from a foreign country. Get to know them as a person, not as a stereotype. There are good, there are bad, and there are great people of all colors, races and religions and we have to stop being blind to that.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

One thing that this whole election has done, in my personal opinion of course, is to educate those that were open to the truth and really wanted to know more and to reveal those who are blind to truths and can't accept change. 

I might've posted this elsewhere at p.tv: John Fugelsang has said that America is like an old couch and that Trump is the blacklight (showing us the stains we don't see in the daylight).

• Love 15
2 hours ago, potatoradio said:

You know, as I was scooping out pumpkin guts from my Jack O'Lantern, I decided that Republicans are just like those g*ddamned pumpkin innards. Seem easy enough to remove when no longer needed, but holy h*ll they don't go without scraping your knuckles raw trying to scoop out all the slime. And, no, it's not worth trying to separate seed from goop. All trash. Be gone.

Yup, the more they stick together, the slimier they get.

Reading all these posts makes me realize how lucky I am.  I live in a very blue state, so I am not subjecting to much Trump propaganda, except what is covered on the national news. I only know one person who said he would vote for Trump (unfortunately, it is my father) and I don't know if he still supports Trump after the tape surfaced.  I only have two facebook friends that post political stuff  - one posts funny anti-Trump stuff and the other thinks everyone should vote for Johnson.  Fortunately, the Johnson supporter lives in Washington State, which is also very blue - I would love to see Hillary get a huge share of the popular vote, but at least his vote for Johnson won't keep her from getting electoral votes.

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 5

So Halloween was a very fun distraction from election madness for me today. I took pictures of my kids all dressed up, and squealed over all the cute little kiddies. Many, many Pikachu, ninja turtles, superheroes and zombies (also zombie versions of typical costumes: zombie princess, zombie superhero, zombie football player, etc.). My kids dressed up as an Egyptian mummy queen, Spider-Gwen and Thor (Jane Foster version). Also candy was a nice distraction too…

Thanks to everyone for continuing to post adorable animal pics and videos. They are becoming indispensable to me!

• Love 7

Word on the street is that her numbers are holding despite all this nonsense over the weekend.  Nearly 24 million votes have already been cast (not counting the woman in Iowa, a Trump supporter, who got caught trying to vote twice).

Comey even has Fox News after him, so this whole story is about to be massively discredited.  The impact on the numbers is negligible.

Enjoy Halloween folks.  This whole thing will be over soon.

• Love 13

I only got TEN trick or treaters today. Our weather was very, very nice today too.

My grandkids are going to get A LOT of candy the next time I see them

(they'd better hurry before my husband eats it all..I buy the good stuff.)

How many trick or treaters did the rest of you get?

Or are you a 'shut the shades, turn off all the lights,

and pretend you're not home' kind of person? ;-)

2.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
Added 'of'
  • Love 21

Or are you a 'shut the shades, turn off all the lights, and pretend you're not home' kind of person? ;-)

Bingo.  Well, nothing quite that dramatic (I turn the motion detector off so the porch light won't go on), but, no, I don't participate.  I don't like kids, so spending an evening being interrupted by random ones does not sound like something society can reasonably ask me to endure.  (I rarely went trick-or-treating as a kid - I thought it was dumb - so I don't feel like I have a debt to repay or anything.)  Besides, it's Monday.  That's a football night.

But if there are any little girls roaming my neighborhood in pants suits, I hope they got good candy!

• Love 8

There are, sadly, two Trump signs on our street, even in one of the bluest counties in our blue state. My kids refused to trick or treat at their houses. "I wouldn't take candy from them. I don't trust it," one of them commented. My little one blew a raspberry at the sign. Fortunately, I was walking with a like-minded group… 

• Love 17
On 10/30/2016 at 8:19 AM, 33kaitykaity said:

The author has been doing this weekly thread for years.  I always squee at least once.  

Your Sunday LOLcats (dial-up warning) Tricks And Treats Edition

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018902002

Democratic Underground has been my "talk me down!" home for more than a decade, since the not-nearly-so-bad-as-it-seemed-at-the-time days of W.  

Because it is one of the more visible liberal sites on the web, there are troll infestations from time to time.  But the folks are friendly and welcoming.  Give it a try!

And SalmonChantedEvening's Sunday LOL cats postings are a wonder stress reliever.

• Love 6

I dipped a toe back into the msnbc waters tonight. Chris and Rachel made me feel a little better about the electoral college and the early voting numbers. I'm saving Lawrence for the morning so I can start the day with David Fahrenhold.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Grommet said:

I dipped a toe back into the msnbc waters tonight. Chris and Rachel made me feel a little better about the electoral college and the early voting numbers. I'm saving Lawrence for the morning so I can start the day with David Fahrenhold.

I was hoping for something scathing from O'Donnell. Didn't see his show, but his mini interview on Facebook had me ?????????

No words. I can't believe he actually thinks Comey is an honorable man and that he didn't violate The Hatch Act.

• Love 3

I ventured back into news with msnbc "All In" .  The first 20 minutes were so satisfying I turned it off because I was afraid some further segment would ruin it. Rewatching at midnight--just that first 20 minutes. It was great. (Thanks for the heads up on L'Od...I'll pass. Comey is NOT an "honorable man" imo--confirmed even more today with his double standard on Russian hacking. I don't want to hear the apologists any  more.) Sheldon Whitehouse joined Harry Reid as one of my new favorites this week. 

Edited by Padma
  • Love 9

I'm so fortunate that my best friend's birthday is today.  We went out for a fabulous dinner at a French bistro near the Capitol.  Had wine.  And more wine.  And mousse! No kids at the door.  And no TV news! 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was hoping for something scathing from O'Donnell. Didn't see his show, but his mini interview on Facebook had me ?????????

No words. I can't believe he actually thinks Comey is an honorable man and that he didn't violate The Hatch Act.

O'Donnell has hated Hillary for a long time so you won't see anything positive about her on his show. The most you can expect from him is 'neutral'. I'm not surprised he's praising Comey.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, shok said:

O'Donnell has hated Hillary for a long time so you won't see anything positive about her on his show. The most you can expect from him is 'neutral'. I'm not surprised he's praising Comey.

I didn't know that.  Now what he said isn't so shocking. But I'm still ??? him.

• Love 1

Checked Five Thirty Eight this morning and Hillary's chances of winning (still good, but still....) have dropped 10 points since Thursday!  It's going to be a brutal week. 

How about baby elephants who want to be lap dogs?:

• Love 7

I'm just worried that even the best outcome next Tuesday shows the rest of the world how vulnerable we are to marginal demagoguery and hate.  And I don't think we will have a best outcome.  I think even if Hillary wins, there will be enough false suspicion on the whole process that we will not get a repeat of that historic night when President Elect Obama took the stage that night and gave such an incredible speech and truly gave me as a young voter a sense of hope that the Cheney-Bush years could be reversed and a nation healed not just internally but abroad as well.  Our stock has dipped so low just letting this creature be the Republican candidate.  And even if he loses I don't see him going away.  Let alone attention seekers who now see that even the highest office in the nation is subject to ego and blatant unmitigated personal gain.

I'm a bit more optimistic than I was last Friday because I do think the media has woken up and realized just how close to the edge we are when the FBI director tries to influence the election and even worse, influence it for the likes of the Orange Beast.  I know tht might sound odd, but if Comey had done his little tricks in a Clinton versus Jeb Bush election I would be just as angry but I would not be so scared.  Because there would be more of the foul flavor of Establishment Neo-Cons trying to hold onto power.  But the fact that coupled with everything we know about Russia, and Comey has to know more , and he still decides to try and play kingmaker via innuendo (at the worst, I still think he is pragmatic enough to realize he was throwing a grenade and just hoping for damage of any kind).  Its' like we are seeing some kind of version of the Manchurian Candidate where the director of the FBI not only gets involved in the election but also seems to be trying to download or just plain hide Russian culpability.  All while a man is the Republican candidate and is open in his admiration for a dictator who called him "shiny" and holds him up as the example for how a leader should "lead" his nation.

My three wishes for next Tuesday:

1.unseasonably warm weather in places that it is normally chilly; temperate in places it might get unseasonably warm

2.an active media that realizes ratings and ad revenue only go so far and its time to pull their heads out of their asses and find their principles if they have any

3.the majority of right of moderate Christians realize that this creature is not Christian does not represent Christian beliefs and they have the sense to realize the status quo might not be to their liking, but a Putin praising racist misogynistic creature who has no history of true charity is their worst fear to be in the White House; because as the saying goes 'you might find fault with another person's faith, but its pretty certain someone else is finding fault with yours'  Or as my grandmother uses to say "someone is always trying to be a better Christian than the rest of us; which totally misses the point"

• Love 12

I'm going to have a panic attack before this election is over. I swear the media is trying to hype things and make the election close. After the last debate and HRC riding high, it was getting boring. It was too certain that she would win by a wide margin and that's not good ratings. They are building up this latest email non-scandal like it's some big bombshell.
The polls scare me though. Even if Hillary wins, there are still what, 40-45% of the people out there who would actually want The Orange One for president. Yikes!

• Love 8

Yes -  I keep checking the 538 site.  though the numbers are still  encouraging,  Hillary's lead in the polls has been slipping, bit by bit, every day.  

AND -  Trump has ties to Russia, but the "scandal"  everyone is talking about is that they found more emails!   WTF?  I know too many people who are convinced (because they hear it implied)  that the emails contain some evidence of criminal activity.  People who hear the headline news, but don't take the time to listen to or read the story.   These same people have NO IDEA what I'm talking about when I say Trump has ties to Russia.  They don't believe it.  because, gee, if that were true, you'd think it would be all over the news. 

It is giving me a lot of stress.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Menrva said:

There are, sadly, two Trump signs on our street, even in one of the bluest counties in our blue state. My kids refused to trick or treat at their houses. "I wouldn't take candy from them. I don't trust it," one of them commented. My little one blew a raspberry at the sign. Fortunately, I was walking with a like-minded group… 

You've taught your children well...

• Love 11

I live in a smallish town that is very religious and very passionate about their guns. There are Trump signs eveywhere and one Hillary sign on the outskirts. While I appreciate knowing where not to go for help if my car breaks down, I also feel overwhelmed. A new sign featuring Hillary's face behind bars has popped up on a local lawn. I've seen Killary bumper stickers on the cars of people I know. I tell myself that my backwards hamlet doesn't reflect the rest of the nation, but I know it's hardly unique either. It's like I feel embarrassed and lonely and repulsed.

The scary thing is that a few businesses have Trump signs in their windows or on their property. They must be confident that they won't alienate too many people. It makes me question their business practices. 

• Love 15

Yes, I won't buy from a business that supports Donald.  They go on my permanently banned list.

Thankfully there are no signs at all on my street or the surrounding streets.  It's pretty diverse (white, black, Vietnam immigrants, Bosnian immigrants, retired couples, young and middle-aged families) and I think no one wants to alienate the neighbors with their politics.  There was a lady talking loudly about Cheetos the other day at the store (embarrassing her two companions in the process) but everyone who could hear her were either rolling their eyes or laughing at her.  

• Love 11
14 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

How many trick or treaters did the rest of you get?

Or are you a 'shut the shades, turn off all the lights,

and pretend you're not home' kind of person? ;-)

Zero.  I live in a suburban neighborhood where houses are 30 feet apart, my porchlght was on, no Trump sign in my lawn (no signs at all) and we had no trick-or-treaters.  However, I am at the end of a cul-de-sac, there is a bend in the street so you can't see this far until you start walking down the street (and you can't see my porchlight until you get to my driveway anyway), and many of my neighbors keep their houses dark. We have never had our doorbell ring more than 5 times on any Halloween in 30 years.  On the plus side, when the kids were little, my husband and I both got to take them trick-or-treating and/or to the school's Halloween carnival and no one felt guilty that we were collecting candy but not handing out any.  

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I live in a smallish town that is very religious and very passionate about their guns. There are Trump signs eveywhere and one Hillary sign on the outskirts. While I appreciate knowing where not to go for help if my car breaks down, I also feel overwhelmed. A new sign featuring Hillary's face behind bars has popped up on a local lawn. I've seen Killary bumper stickers on the cars of people I know. I tell myself that my backwards hamlet doesn't reflect the rest of the nation, but I know it's hardly unique either. It's like I feel embarrassed and lonely and repulsed.

The scary thing is that a few businesses have Trump signs in their windows or on their property. They must be confident that they won't alienate too many people. It makes me question their business practices. 

I am keeping in mind which businesses have Trump signs. They don't need my business.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I removed the Trump sign from the place my husband works. It's a small artist studio, and while he was inside doing some necessary weekend work, I tore down the sign outside. He was happy I did it. The guys he works with (who own the business) support Trump, but I pointed out that if I didn't know him, seeing that sign outside would mean they had lost my business for a good long time (until I got over it because Trump was a distant memory), and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 10

A few years back the founder of Girls Who Code Reshma Saujani ran for office in NYC.  My boss (who is also my brother) wanted to put a "Reshma for House" (I think?)  sign in the office window.  It took me about two weeks to convince him that even if the politician is the bestest bestest bestest thing in the multiverse, it's a bad idea to show your political stripes, even in a city like NYC.  You get one person who disagrees with her politics and you lose their business and you can't tell how many people they'll steer away from you for it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, fastiller said:

A few years back the founder of Girls Who Code Reshma Saujani ran for office in NYC.  My boss (who is also my brother) wanted to put a "Reshma for House" (I think?)  sign in the office window.  It took me about two weeks to convince him that even if the politician is the bestest bestest bestest thing in the multiverse, it's a bad idea to show your political stripes, even in a city like NYC.  You get one person who disagrees with her politics and you lose their business and you can't tell how many people they'll steer away from you for it.

Exactly. Honestly, I'd have removed a Clinton sign too. It's a bad idea to publicly support a candidate as if it's your company supporting them. But, I can't deny it felt good to remove a Trump sign. 

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 8
22 minutes ago, Pixel said:

It's a bad idea to publicly support a candidate as if it's your company supporting them. But, I can't deny it felt good to remove a Trump sign. 

I was truly surprised at how long it took for my brossother (my brother/boss) to get the point.  He's a bright guy, usually.

And I would imagine that it did feel good to remove the Drumpf sign.  

• Love 5
On 10/31/2016 at 9:49 AM, PatsyandEddie said:

If you don't want to use an actual voodoo doll out of respect then use marshmallow people. My daughter and I used to make them throughout her teen years as a way to express frustration or anger over friends,BFs,assignments etc. Simply attach them together,draw faces on them and stab away. Turns into a fun event and we all know how good laughter is. 

Or there's the Donald Trump pinata! Available from Walmart. (not looking for hillary, not looking...)

On 10/31/2016 at 2:09 PM, MissT said:

Hillary Supporter Here!!.  I can't take it, I don't think I can hold out 8 more days.   I live in Florida and I'm waiting to cast my vote on 11/8 (I like the whole Election Day experience).   I'm on teetering on the edge this week watching the polls.  Every time I look at 538.com I hold my breath.    I"m trying not to watch too much news this week, but i just can't help it.  

Love this forum btw.  I get more real news here from everyone then the cable channels.

For the first time ever I voted early. I voted yesterday afternoon for the first woman president of the UnitedStatesofAmerica. 

I got such a rush and a boost it was amazing. I wanted to cheer and hug people but slapped that goofy little "I Voted" sticker on my shirt and walked, nay, strode, proudly from the library.

And the relief is with me today. A bit blunted but if felt so good to do something. 

And not waiting in line for hours was a huge bonus.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 13

I felt the same way for the first time in my life as a voter. I was SO happy to vote for Hillary and not to vote for that despicable little man Trump. It felt good. I can't remember hating a presidential candidate like I do this year.

• Love 10
21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Nate Silver is the owner of the website Five ThirtyEight.
"Poll results aggregated from HuffPost Pollster, RealClearPolitics, polling firms and news reports".

All of the models he's displaying clearly point to an overwhelming Clinton victory, so I hope his information is accurate.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

Nate Silver is the owner of the website Five ThirtyEight.
"Poll results aggregated from HuffPost Pollster, RealClearPolitics, polling firms and news reports".

All of the models he's displaying clearly point to an overwhelming Clinton victory, so I hope his information is accurate.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

Nate's stats are solid. I assume he's liberal, but he's not biased when it comes to running those numbers and explaining what they mean. 

• Love 4