Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

On 11/4/2016 at 9:55 AM, Menrva said:

This is Trump in food form: orange, artificial and surrounded by nuts.

trump cheese.jpg

He is so cheesy!  

This is close, but I would not say Trump was "sharp." Although, "mild" wouldn't work either.  Did they have any "Obnoxious Cheddar" at the store? I would settle for one just like the one pictured as long as it was also moldy - I can overlook the "sharp" if it was rotten and spoiled.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

He is so cheesy!  

This is close, but I would not say Trump was "sharp." Although, "mild" wouldn't work either.  Did they have any "Obnoxious Cheddar" at the store? I would settle for one just like the one pictured as long as it was also moldy - I can overlook the "sharp" if it was rotten and spoiled.  

The way I see it,Trump is like head cheese but dumber, less sharp than sharp cheddar (but more orange) and stinks worse than limburger.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Padma said:

Weirdly, they said he cancelled the rally in Michigan and is instead going to....Minnesota?????

I think it's Wisconsin that he cancelled, I've no idea why Cheeto Jesus thinks he can win here - except that the stupid first quadrennial high school mock election elected him here in Minnesota.  No GOPer has won here since Nixon in 1972.  See:  Scott Walker, Governor of Wisconsin vs. Mark Dayton (uber liberal) Governor of Minnesota, also home of Senator Al Franken vs soon to be defeated Senator Ron Johnson.

On 11/3/2016 at 11:03 PM, ruby24 said:

I think Hillary's going to outperform her polls, especially among Hispanic voters and women. But I want to say something about 538, because I notice a lot of people are very dependent on it. I'm not this year.

I'm someone who's followed Nate Silver since the very early days of 2008, when he first started doing this, and through 2012. He is NOT the same guy that he once was. He's become a shrieking hysteric, his numbers are all over the place, his comments are downright bizarre and he sounds nothing like he used to...the only thing I can make of it is that his entire attitude was flipped when he whiffed it on the Trump nomination, and he was so humiliated (after his near perfect record up until then), that he no longer has any confidence in the data. His model isn't the same one that he used before either.

I hate to say this, but I just don't trust him this time around. He literally said weeks ago that anything could happen, from a narrow Trump victory, to a narrow Hillary one, to a Hillary landslide. Oh, really? Thanks, that's helpful. He's covering all his bases because he doesn't have the confidence in his model that he did before, in my opinion. There's also too many crappy polls out there weighted into the averages.

So I am not reliant on him like I was in the last two elections. He's become too erratic.

I actually think his results seem to skew towards Hillary winning a lot of stuff other sites say is questionable. And THAT's why I think people should be wary. The most dangerous think anyone can do now is feel even a little bit complacent. Don't even assume if you live in solid blue state that the vote isn't critical.

Honestly what I fear is late on the night of the 8th and into the 9th. I hope police departments all over are on high threat alert, and because there's going to be some spillover between law enforcement personnel and militant Trumpeteers, that even the watchdogs have other watchdogs on them that night/morning. For the first time since the 1960s I fear the US may see firebombed voting venues, or wherever else the crazies want to most visibly show their anger if their desired Dictator doesn't win. ESPECIALLY if the selfish evil fucktard doesn't concede (as it seems he won't). He wants to see cities burn so he can turn it around and blame his opponents, then ride into the sunset (aka a new TV deal) where he spends the next few years crowing about how he got cheated and how the crooks stole the election from him.

• Love 6

Does anyone know where to watch or read Tony Schwartz's interview today with Joy Reid? I just caught the end of it--where he tried to describe how Donald "doesn't like to introspect because it would be too scary to try to look and see that nothing is there."

He has such contempt for Trump, so many specifics about his nasty personality and he is not afraid to share them. He is also one of the few people who has worked with Trump and is not bound by an NDA. I always enjoy hearing everything he has to say, and Joy is a good interviewer who actually listens and responds. I did hear the end, where Tony seemed very confident that Trump is NOT going to win.  Would love to watch the whole thing, if anyone knows where it is.

• Love 8

I've decided to be strong and not go on twitter until after the election. Yesterday, seeing more articles regarding potential attempts to block supreme court nominees in the future sent me over the edge. 

My apartment building has a TV in the lobby, and it is always on CNN. I hate when I have to walk by. I should get up the courage to ask them to put it on something harmless, like HGTV. The urgent care center I have used has their TV on HGTV usually.

Speaking of courage, my friend and I are going to try to make calls tomorrow for Hillary. We both have a good amount of social anxiety and hate phone calls, but we're going to give it a try since this is so important.

• Love 20
Just now, gatopretoNYC said:

I usually drink wine, but I might have to invest in some harder stuff for Tuesday.

I don't know if it was here or Twitter, but I saw a photo of a liquor store that said "We Can't Guarantee Stock For Election Day."

• Love 16

As I was saying over in the main Trump thread, this guy with a gun thing at the Trump rally terrifies me until we hear more. I am terrified, shitting bricks, that this is going to be spun/perceived as TPTB ordering a hit on Trump (even if not said like that outright, just implied), or even if not that far, this is going to play out with him being spun as a hero.

We're so close to Tuesday that the reporting on this tomorrow may be the last images/newscycle many people get. And if they wake up Tuesday thinking Donald J. Trump was so "dangerous to the powers that be" that they had to take a run at him, and that it shows he's so incredibly brave for even standing up there? Then fuck. ALL of those traditional Red States, at the very least, go right back to him.

Scared now. Please let me be wrong and paranoid about this, with this coming off as a total non-event that nobody talks about on the Sunday shows, which doesn't get in the papers and falls off Twitter by tomorrow. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Padma said:

Does anyone know where to watch or read Tony Schwartz's interview today with Joy Reid?

Ha! I had no idea she was a journalist, I followed her on Twitter because her comment on something cracked me up.

Thanks to whoever created this thread (whomever?), it will be a lot easier to stay on topic here. It seems like these last seven days of the election have lasted about a freaking year. I bought wine today in case it's all sold on on Tuesday. (Or people armed with muskets are looting in the streets - who knows!)

• Love 5

This is my only safe space.  My family and friends already think I'm too obsessed with all of this, and they have no idea I have my little safe house on the Internet. 

I hope that after Tuesday I can go back to not giving a shit about politics.  I normally am bored to tears by elections. This whole being pants-shittingly terrified is new. 

• Love 19

I guess one way I'm luckier than a lot of you is that my entire family is for Hillary, so I don't have to put up with family conflict over others' stupidity. They are all nervous, too. I guess jerky Curt Schilling should ask us why we support Hillary and previous Democrats, since we fit with his observation that Jews tend to vote for the Democratic party.

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, random chance said:

Ha! I had no idea she was a journalist, I followed her on Twitter because her comment on something cracked me up.

She has her own show, AM Joy on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and pops up frequently during the day as well.

She'll most likely be 1/5th of MSNBC's returns coverage on Tuesday.

• Love 3

Donald Trump was just rushed off the stage at a rally by the Secret Service.  Apparently, someone yelled"gun."   The whole thing sounds a little hinky to me.  Wouldn't you assume there are guns at Trump rallies?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Pixel said:

This whole being pants-shittingly terrified is new. 

This describes my feelings exactly. I never pay attention to polls, but now every time I hear there's a new one & it's not in favor of my candidate, I have trouble breathing. 

• Love 5

Well, I've got myself stocked with Johnnie, Robert Mondavi and Moet Rose. The first two, I'll be glugging like crazy Tuesday evening. I hope to pop the cork on the Moet Tuesday night.

Sláinte!!!!!

Salute!!!!

à la vôtre!!!!

G'nite! And remember to turn your clocks BACK!

• Love 11

His videos fit in a lot of threads, but this particular one seems very relevant to this specific Anxiety topic.

Olbermann says: "Be Angry But Not Afraid"

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

It's Friday, 3:30 pm here, is it too early to start drinking?

Too early?  I've been drunk for a month.

I think I'm going underground between now and Election Day; every new storyline (and that's exactly what they are) just makes me anxious and angry, and even my cat's supreme cuteness is becoming powerless in the face of such terror.

See y'all on the other side.  May Nov. 9th break with me marveling at how utterly dance in the street and weep with relief thrilled I can be with a centrist president under circumstances so horrifying my mind could have never conjured them up. 

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, backformore said:

For people experiencing actual anxiety, there are several phone apps that can be helpful.  I like MindShift.

Sweetie, here I am, up in the middle of the night because I was sensible and didn't drink.  I'm having one now.  Are we there yet?

• Love 8
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:55 AM, Darian said:

I realized I had a dental cleaning Wednesday that I had already rescheduled twice. I called to reschedule and apologized and said, "I just...the election...I can't," and the receptionist said, "Oh, my God. I'm supposed to work that day." And I said, "If you call in sick, I won't tell on you." And we laughed, and I rescheduled. I don't know if she's for Hillary or Trump, but she got it right away.   

The question of "What ELSE are you doing on Election Day?" is interesting.  I tried to find a place to volunteer driving voters, but there's no Dem Central, only GOP Headquarters--and HAAAAAA, that's not happening. 

I decided to just hole up here and get double-vision watching the stats update.  Oops, need to cancel that haircut first, because I'll get my eye poked with scissors when I whip around to glare at two Trumpers high-fiving about locking up Crooked Hillary.  No go, hair woman is booked until her baby's due date.

Suddenly the dog has to have dental surgery.  Okay, so drop dog, vote, haircut, pickup dog, DRINK.

Now I've been invited to a small gathering of like-minded people to watch the results.  (And around here, that would be really, really small--like "fingers of one hand" small.)  I don't want to go, though.  They aren't "into it" as much as I am--I feel tense and anxious and I don't want to make polite chit-chat and admire grandchild photos.  I want to come home and do the Live Chat.

Here's my question:  I kind of tend to self-isolate too much anyway, but it feels like a momentous occasion that I want to focus on 100%.  Is it unhealthy to blow off real live flesh & blood people to spend the night with Rachel Maddows and PTV people?

(Note:  way too far to drive for a brief drop-in.)

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:58 PM, fastiller said:

Sitting at the hairdresser. One of the employee's husband is here, talking to another customer about how wonderful DJT is and how terrible HRC is. P.TV family, give me strength. 

Breathing.

Bingo.

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, candall said:

The question of "What ELSE are you doing on Election Day?" is interesting.  I tried to find a place to volunteer driving voters, but there's no Dem Central, only GOP Headquarters--and HAAAAAA, that's not happening. 

I realize you're already booked up (and good luck with your dog) and may have even been doing this,, but for anyone else who may be interested, you can make calls from home, which I've been doing when I don't go to the campaign office. It's wicked easy. You can even do practice calls with other volunteers. Thank you for trying, though, and we will get through this! I don't think skipping that gathering is unhealthy at all.  I was disappointed that I couldn't attend a gathering or host one (it's medical, long, boring) but as this has gone on, I couldn't imagine being somewhere I have to social. Whatever works...

• Love 5

I hope this makes everyone laugh as much as I did.

My part of Brooklyn is hooked in with Staten Island for voting from Congress and State Senate, so both are held by Republicans.  There's not even a Democrat running for State Senate.  My husband just told me he's writing in David S Pumpkins.

• Love 13

Another practicing (though close to perfection) self-isolationist here and I can't imagine being with a group of any size Election night. For one thing, I'm sure someone would speak right when I wanted to hear something on the teevee. I can sometimes barely watch with my husband around. He's having a difficult time remembering that I'm the only one allowed to talk over the teevee. lol

I'll stock in groceries but probably small plate and/or nosh stuff. That will help to temper the oceans of beer I plan to consume. I'll post 'til I can't.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, DollEyes said:

The way I see it,Trump is like head cheese but dumber, less sharp than sharp cheddar (but more orange) and stinks worse than limburger.

Might I suggest this as Trump in food form?

438c376b-83f4-4b5b-addf-ef988c5cd8fc_1.e

Goes well with crackers too.

Edited by DeLurker
Additional snarkage needed to be released.
  • Love 8

I've been meaning to post for days since I discovered this thread. This has become a refuge for me. I live in a very, very red state and have only a couple like-minded co-workers to vent about Trump with. My family is out of state and split - siblings, nieces and nephews support HRC but many cousins love Trump and it's getting to the point I don't want to log onto Facebook because they flood the newsthread with pro-Trump shit.

I have been a nervous wreck lately. Back when HRC was up to 87% chance of winning on 538, I was still nervous. People kept saying she had it locked up and I was of the mind, it ain't over till it's over. Well, you can imagine how I've been the past week, watching her polls dropping like a rock. And I just can't believe they've dropped SO MUCHjust because they found some emails on her aide's computer. Seriously! I can see that having some affect but not like what we're seeing now. What the hell is going on??!!

Months ago I scheduled to take Wednesday off because I knew if Trump won, I should not be at work the next day. I'm afraid I will just lose my shit if I see someone smile about it. I'll need a day to calm down. Plus I know I'll be hung over on Wednesday because Tuesday night I'll either be celebrating (hopefully) or drinking to forget.

I'm normally a red wine drinker but I bought a bottle of Absolut just for Tuesday night.  Serious times call for serious liquor.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, candall said:

I kind of tend to self-isolate too much anyway, but it feels like a momentous occasion that I want to focus on 100%.  Is it unhealthy to blow off real live flesh & blood people to spend the night with Rachel Maddows and PTV people?

I had no idea there was a term for it. Self-isolate! Yes, that's me! The idea of spending election night with a group of people is horrifying. Having to be polite and conversational, ugghhh. "Oh look Trump won another state. Who wants more buffalo wings?" No can do.

9 hours ago, backformore said:

For people experiencing actual anxiety, there are several phone apps that can be helpful.  I like MindShift.

We live in amazing times.

2 hours ago, starri said:

My husband just told me he's writing in David S Pumpkins.

I love your husband.

1 hour ago, NewDigs said:

Another practicing (though close to perfection) self-isolationist her

12 minutes ago, scout305 said:

I've been meaning to post for days since I discovered this thread. This has become a refuge for me.

My people!!!!

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, scout305 said:

Seriously! I can see that having some affect but not like what we're seeing now. What the hell is going on??!!

I think it's a form of brainwashing, to be honest.   Trump and his handlers repeat the email mantra at every opportunity.   Email email email email lock her up lock her up lock her up email email email email ... with the effect that the word email has been endowed with a dark, evil connotation.   The repetition at the rallies and in the media (because they media hangs on Trump's every word) has weaponized email as a trigger word, not unlike one a hypnotist might use to make a man bark like a dog, that instantly fills the mind with hatred, dread, illusions of conspiracies, and the certainty that only Donald Trump can lead us into the light.

In a way, it's ingenious what they've done.   They had nothing on Hillary.  Benghazi?  Meh.  Disingenuous coming from the party that sent 5000+ American soldiers to their deaths in Iraq on false information.   So they seized on the email and through sheer repetition and the process of political osmosis made half the nation believe that email is something Hillary ought to be jailed for if not publicly executed.   Meanwhile I bet three-quarters if not more of the deplorables couldn't explain to you what the email scandal is about.   Joseph Goebbels would be proud.  

The Breitbart party gambled on the insecurities and ignorance of the American public, and they won.

We may hate them, but it's one hell of an achievement.   

• Love 19

There was already a discussion about possible issues with Silver's model, so I wont go into that. But I'd also say that this is pretty normal in the last week: The race always tightens, how much the FBI stuff helped with that is the question. I'm not sure anyone can really tell. I'd also argue that the super high polling numbers HRC had after the debates were never going to last, that was also an artificial high. That, at the end of the day, the Republican voters would go back to voting for Trump and would come out of the woodwork in admitting that was never in question IMO.

Four years ago the media narrative was also that the race would be a toss-up between Romney and Obama, it wasn't that close in the end. I've no idea what the outcome of this election will be, but the media has a vested interest in declaring this a horserace no matter what. That gets them viewers and drama. It also seems to me that polling has become increasingly unstable and unreliable, I'd venture a guess that the internal polling of the campaigns is much better than the various outfits who are throwing out contradictory polls at the last minute.

• Love 7

I will echo others sentiments that I am happy I have this thread. And can't wait to spend Tuesday with you on the live thread.  Anyhoo, I know we have gone over many topics ad nauseum.  But the sane part of my brain wonders Not what the supporters see in the Republican candidate, but what do they want? I think about that documentary someone posted, the Sociopath and how we got here. They show the supporters at the rallies and they all echo the he's going to build a wall, and he's a businessman and he tells it like it is, etc. But what exactly is it that they think he's going to do or can do?  What do they want exactly? Is there someone here who could could just bullet point what they would want.  I get outlaw abortion and all the guns they can own .  But is it jobs? All the money they want, going to the doctor, dentist whenever and wherever they want?  Do they want cops to protect them, do they want wars or no wars? Do they care about college education?

Cause when I see those supporters I get scared.  But I wonder who's the last president they actually liked and why?

And like the one person on the documentary who said (and I agree) they don't want to go back to 1950's they want to go back to the 1850's.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, katha said:

The race always tightens, how much the FBI stuff helped with that is the question.

Not a whole lot, from the way Hillary has rebounded in most of the polling.  Unless you're Nate Silver and have un-skewed them.

I really hate that I'm thinking about him like that, but the apoplectic fit he had on Twitter after that Huffington Post article really left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, starri said:

Not a whole lot, from the way Hillary has rebounded in most of the polling.  Unless you're Nate Silver and have un-skewed them.

I really hate that I'm thinking about him like that, but the apoplectic fit he had on Twitter after that Huffington Post article really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I follow a lot of nerds and media types, and I think it was Sam Stein that tweeted yesterday that he didn't like it when people fight.  lol

His deadpan about most things is amusing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, random chance said:

Having to be polite and conversational, ugghhh. "Oh look Trump won another state. Who wants more buffalo wings?" No can do.

Right!  I joined these same people for the third debate, during which everyone was focused and interested--but up until it started, and the minute it ended, pure unadulterated social occasion!  ACK!  No one wants to see Rachel Maddows eat Kellyanne Conway's lunch in the post-debate throw down??

I had no idea there was a term for it.  Self-isolate!  Yes, that's me!

Oh, me too, and at this rate I may have to have my obituary posted on PTV to generate any reaction beyond:  "Who?"

Thanks for the feedback and support.  See you all on Live Chat.  I'm With Her Forever!

• Love 11

If you want a little reassurance, see Huffington Post election prediction Huffington Post Prediction

If you are afraid to become confident, think of what Brian Stelter said on Reliable Sources--that his fear is there will be a late-breaking smear of Hillary on Monday night/Tuesday morning, when it's too late to get out the fact checking to voters. Actually, the way the Trump campaign works, that makes (scary) sense.

Worse, to me, is the fake flyers telling students and other targeted Clinton supporters how to "vote by phone" and "vote online and by text". A friend got one in Connecticut. They look completely legit.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Padma said:

If you want a little reassurance, see Huffington Post election prediction Huffington Post Prediction

If you are afraid to become confident, think of what Brian Stelter said on Reliable Sources--that his fear is there will be a late-breaking smear of Hillary on Monday night/Tuesday morning, when it's too late to get out the fact checking to voters. Actually, the way the Trump campaign works, that makes (scary) sense.

Worse, to me, is the fake flyers telling students and other targeted Clinton supporters how to "vote by phone" and "vote online and by text". A friend got one in Connecticut. They look completely legit.

If Trump wins, will this be the first Presidential victory by lies and dirty tricks?   I can't think of another example from history offhand.

No one will be able to deny that a Trump win would be directly owed to the Comey fiasco.   How can he preside over the nation when everyone knows he got there not by merit, but by repeated lying, cheating and dirty political tricks?   Who will respect the man or the office?  

I had no idea there was a term for it. Self-isolate! Yes, that's me! The idea of spending election night with a group of people is horrifying. Having to be polite and conversational, ugghhh. "Oh look Trump won another state. Who wants more buffalo wings?" No can do.

My election night dinner party in 2004 definitely went sideways when W. started collecting the electoral votes. I basically abandoned ship, told my guests they were on their own, and was ranting and raving while refreshing web pages looking for hope. My then-fiancee put me on news blackout for 3 days after that heartbreaking disappointment.

This year, with the horrifying possibility of Trump winning, I'm taking a different approach. As a Canadian, I'm feeling extremely powerless and terrified about the possibility of him winning, so I booked a trip to Bali and am leaving late on Tuesday night. If the election isn't decided by the time I leave Canada at midnight PST, I'm taking a Xanax and bunkering down on a plane for a 13 hour flight to Taipei. I'm way beyond alcohol so I'm going pharmaceutical for this one.

If the worst case scenario happens and Trump wins, I'll get in one last trip before he's inaugurated. Then I'll just get my affairs in order and wait for the mushroom clouds.

• Love 9

Hugs @Jodio.  I'm glad that I can't stay motionless for too long in the event of bad news, since I'm finally going to get to see my daughter dance in person for the first time since she's been in college.

Our girl looks exhausted speaking at a church this morning, her voice is croaking.

I think I've put my finger on the reason I can't escape anxiety about the next couple days, there are zero cockey data campaign folks in the media saying "we got this" like we saw in the last two campaigns.  It's making me worry about the internals that we don't get to see or know about until post election.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

I think I've put my finger on the reason I can't escape anxiety about the next couple days, there are zero cockey data campaign folks in the media saying "we got this" like we saw in the last two campaigns.  It's making me worry about the internals that we don't get to see or know about until post election.

I've seen a lot of comments that the way Trump has been going is similar to the way Bob Dole ended his campaign in 1996.  Furiously throwing things at the wall in the hopes that something will stick.  He conceded WI, which he could theoretically win (it went for Al Gore and John Kerry, but barely), and decided instead to campaign in Minnesota, which hasn't voted for a Republican since Richard Nixon.

I'm not super pozzie right now.  I'm terrified and I'm going to remain terrified until I hear the words "NBC Projects that Hillary Clinton..." But I'm trying to not surrender to despair.

Keep going.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, starri said:

I'm terrified and I'm going to remain terrified until I hear the words "NBC Projects that Hillary Clinton..."

Let's put it this way, if and when you hear the words, "NBC (CBS, ABC, Fox, CNN) projects that Hillary Clinton will win the state of Florida.", you can relax.

• Love 7
Just now, AimingforYoko said:

Let's put it this way, if and when you hear the words, "NBC (CBS, ABC, Fox, CNN) projects that Hillary Clinton will win the state of Florida.", you can relax.

That, or NC.  I'm going to do my damned to cling to hope.

1 minute ago, Grommet said:

I've decided to not fight my post op inability to stay awake for more than 2 hours at a time. I'll be over here with my pal percocet, snoozing away the days until the election.

Care to share?  At some points in the last six weeks, I've considered a medically-induced coma until after the republic falls.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Based on conversations with my brother and co-workers:

1. Stick it to liberals - OK Get It Nothing New There.

2. Women back in their place as incubators with legs. really? What is it about  women that men are scared of?  don't you want someone whose your  equal? makes their own money, has opinions and wants to hang out with you ?

3. The Christian nation we were never meant to be how are other religions effecting this country? 

4. Gays back in the closet and/or criminalized. Hopefully doesn't happen . rights have been hard fought. 

5. A cocoon of comforting, homogeneous whiteness I like the Melting pot. 

6. Guns, guns, guns. ok get it. but really how many guns do you need?

7. Big strong daddy figure who will keep them safe everyone wants to feel safe. just not smothered . 

8. Ability to say the N word. again really ? Why? 

9. Did I mention that they really enjoy sticking it to anyone on the left?

10. To become rich by butt kissing and enabling the ultra-wealthy. so make money but put in minimal effort? 

*This list reflects a very small sample size. Trump voters in other areas might want different things.

Edited by callmebetty
  • Love 3