Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

I don't know if you will find this nearly as amusing as I did, especially if you're not familiar with the Online Dating topic on here but I thought I'd share in case it might make you laugh too. My life has turned into a sitcom. I was almost back to my apartment and who did I see standing in a doorway talking to a girl but this guy I went out with (three dates, it wasn't really dating) whose most notable features were his roving hands and propensity for trying suction his mouth to mine at any opportunity. And yeah, he definitely saw me. Aside from the unlikelihood of running into someone in NYC (it really feels like someone scripted this) I just found it hilarious. He wasn't as cute as I initially thought he was and something about it just made me "this too shall pass." Life goes on. I think that's important to remember.

Anyway, if I don't chime in again, happy voting tomorrow to everyone who hasn't sent in their early votes yet.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't know if I'll be able to eat tomorrow.  I do know I'll have to remind myself I can't take an Ativan with alcohol, because I am going to be really tempted to dig out one of those pills; I've already started having some physical manifestations of anxiety, and other than one totally random incident years ago that was, by process of elimination, ruled an anxiety attack (and resulted in the Ativan), that is something that only happens during periods of extreme and acute emotional trauma. 

That is what this election has reduced me to.  I've been appalled before, and thoroughly disenchanted with my fellow Americans, but this is an entirely different ball game.  This man is more dangerous and less qualified than George W. Bush could even conceive of being.  I can't believe a Trump presidency is even a possibility.

The Philly event is making me feel a bit better.

I thought "Thunder Road" sounded sad, like a swan song for a dream of the past.  

I feel like watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy, because I know how that battle turns out.

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!

• Love 3

Well, I have broken out the emergency box of cake mix from the back of my kitchen cupboard. A cake mix I bought when I moved into my house in 2009.  "Do cake mixes spoil?", I asked myself.  I decided that I am too stressed to care.  I mixed that sucker up, put it in the oven, licked the spoon clean and am now eating the leftover batter from the mixing bowl with a spatula like I did when I was a small child.   

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 13

I went yesterday to drive by the early voting place in Franklin County, OH.  If it was too crowded or a long line, I'd just say forget it and vote Tuesday at my regular voting location.  The road that the voting location is on, at least 3 lanes for the length of the road, was jam packed.  A normal 15 to 20 minute drive was over 1.5 hours.  I didn't even get to the building before turning around.  Saw a few Obama bumper stickers from last time, so I felt more encouraged than in a long time.  A friend said the same road was jammed on Saturday also.  The location used to be the site of a shopping mall, converted into office space, so the parking lot is pretty large.  If that lot was full, it'd be something akin to Christmas shopping season.

Now I'll do the let's get up at 5 a.m. to be at the voting location by 6 a.m. tomorrow.  Rats.  I know of at least two co-workers who voted really early and were in and out within 5 minutes.  Off to shower and to bed I go.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, gatopretoNYC said:

I couldn't not watch the results as they come in tomorrow night. Will be watching with my hubby. I'm really hoping for Florida to go blue, so I can relax a little bit, on the earlier side. I'm basically glued to MSNBC for the next 30 hours while I'm awake, and not voting. Or getting some thank-you-for-voting gifts that some businesses near me are giving out.

Once Florida (hopefully) gets called for Clinton, I will be good. I will get on Facebook and drink some Trumpster tears.

Edited by Janet Snakehole
Changed repub to Trumpster, bc I do believe there are some very same republican out there that I feel pretty bad for in this election
  • Love 7

Maybe I should have saved this for tomorrow, but to all my fellow Galavant fans, remember:

Its a good day to die...

(Oh please, this isn't Game of Thrones)

We're NOT gonna die,

Lets end the song and grow some stones AND VOTE!!!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I have been on a news diet for the past several days only watching Chris and Rachael on MSNBC.  I cannot say it has worked all that well, I bought Cheeze Its today.  I have been eating low carb and said fuck it.  A friend said they looked like Trump.  Talk about a buzz kill.

I might get some tortilla chips and salsa con queso tomorrow. Something about destroying a melty super-fake-orange mess with a name, ironically, in Spanish, is appealing to me.

Plus, it's yummy. And the spice will help me drink more wine. :)

• Love 7

I was planning on getting to my polling place at 6:30am. Now I'm thinking I should get there earlier.

I've been all over my Facebook with posts reminding people you cannot vote via text or online. Where to report voter suppression or issues. A friend of mine called, concerned because she never received her vote by mail ballot and just realized she couldn't vote... online. She said she could do everything else online it never occurred to her that she couldn't vote that way. I helped her figure out what she will need for a provisional ballot and what to do / what to expect. What concerns me is where there is one, there is more., 

• Love 5

Wednesday is my birthday. I hope to have a(nother) historic election as a gift. My friend is bringing me out to dinner tomorrow for my birthday. I will be checking polling & p.tv after dinner.

G'night all. Be calm. Good vibes.

• Love 10
Just now, fastiller said:

Wednesday is my birthday. I hope to have a(nother) historic election as a gift. My friend is bringing me out to dinner tomorrow for my birthday. I will be checking polling & p.tv after dinner.

G'night all. Be calm. Good vibes.

We'll be good tomorrow. Happy birthday!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, starri said:

I am suddenly, amazingly calm.

I saw some live and it was beautiful.  But clicking on those photos, seeing that crowd like that...just...wow.

Thank you.

• Love 7

Oh my God, do not miss the first 15 minutes of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. Fantastic.

It's up on the cyber now:

Special guest shows up about two minutes in. :)

Edited by gatopretoNYC
To add video
  • Love 11

Re the emails, Sam Bee's show tonight had a dramatic reading of a selection of them, delivered by Sarah Paulsen. DELIGHTFUL. Check out tonight's episode of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (on TBS) to see it (I'm pretty sure it's streamable).

• Love 5

Yes, an outdoor park setting would be great, but someone on one of these threads posted a picture of the enormous glass ceiling at the Javits Center.  It's gorgeous--great swaths of glass, with girders and spotlights creating this three-dimensional architectural phenomenon.

GLASS CEILING!!!!

I've been thrilling about Hillary and her Final Glass Ceiling ever since.

• Love 5

I received a super late email from my boss. Apparently my company gives 2 paid hours to vote. I was going to get up to be in line by 630 so I didn't get stuck working late but now I'm tempted by sleeping in and  waiting in line. 

• Love 2

Jesus Christ, you guys. Tits up, let's do this. I already voted but on the agenda for today is TREAT YO'SELF (overindulge in delicious foods), think "what would Melania do?" as I try to keep my 19-month-old son from throwing tantrums, and go to the dentist. Going to the dentist is my election-day tradition, designed to ensure that my dental visits don't seem all that painful, by comparison.

Those who might be looking to Treat Yo'self as well, try a Chestnut Praline Latte from Starbucks. They are mad delicious and you shan't regret it.

• Love 10

Good morning one and all.  Weather on the east coast is lovely, so turnout should be good.  Philly transit is running.

Did my bit.  Surprisingly quickly too.  There was a bird flying around the school gym where I voted.  

One last confirmation that DJT isn't the right person: in one of his speeches last night he said that if he lost it would be (paraphrasing, but imagine his usual hyperbole) the biggest, mot tremendous waste of time "of my life".  Again: his life, not anything about the folks he fooled into thinking he would be a good President.  Narcissism, thy name is Trump.

Just 11 weeks or so till the official start of campaign 2020!

Edited by fastiller
  • Love 14

If this wasn't one of the busiest times of year in my job, I would be sorely tempted to stay up until 5am my time which is when a result is predicted. As it is, I'm going to try and get up an hour early so I can hopefully process all that's happened overnight. 

Good luck you guys!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, fastiller said:

Good morning one and all.  Weather on the east coast is lovely, so turnout should be good.  Philly transit is running.

Did my bit.  Surprisingly quickly too.  There was a bird flying around the school gym where I voted.  

One last confirmation that DJT isn't the right person: in one of his speeches last night he said that if he lost it would be (paraphrasing, but imagine his usual hyperbole) the biggest, mot tremendous waste of time "of my life".  Again: his life, not anything about the folks he fooled into thinking he would be a good President.  Narcissism, thy name is Trump.

Just 11 weeks or so till the official start of campaign 2020!

Wow, what a giant turdblossom. Don't let the door smack you in the ass on your way out, Donnie. Have a Happy Birthday, fastiller!

I voted at 6:45 this morning. My husband was there at 6 am. People had been lining up since 5:45 am. We always vote, every election. The NY primaries were on September 11, 2001 and my husband was supposed to have a meeting at the World Trade Center at 8 am that day. He decided to reschedule it at the last minute so he could go vote. Because he decided to go vote, he wasn't there when the attacks began. So now, we always vote. Because voting can save your life.

• Love 24
27 minutes ago, Darian said:

I have a link to a Facebook live video of people at Susan B. Anthony's grave honoring her. The link actually shows the video, so I hesitate to post it (is it allowed?) but you can find it at this page. I am crying (again? still?)

Thank you.  You don't know how much I wish that Rochester was closer to Western Massachusetts so I could do that this week.  I think I'll save my I Voted sticker and make that part of the trip back after my daughter graduates in the spring.  They are talking about the suffragettes - part of my daughter's graduation celebration tradition is the Laurel Parade - 

4474055ee37a240fded7ceeb617a98e9.jpg

laurel1sml.jpg

Peace%20Laurel%20feathered.JPG

621d6751ce7101fb18980e963818ca02.jpg

Laurelchain.jpg

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 14

@gatopretoNYC, Thanks for the Colbert!

@ClareWalks, Dentist for me too, :( must be a theme. I think I've seen others upthread with appointments.

I heard Ted Koppel (I think it was him, everything is starting to run together) this morning say it has been like 18 months of sucking on a bad tooth, time to get it out :)

• Love 5

Since I don't have anything really purple, I wore white and lavender when I went to vote and gave silent thanks to all of the women who fought for this day. I asked for 2 stickers so I could wear one on my coat and one on my shirt while I'm at work but maybe I'll save one and try to swing by Rochester the next time I go to Buffalo. PTV road trip! Who's with me? 

Nervously avoiding news...someone tell me when it's safe to look.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ABay said:

Since I don't have anything really purple, I wore white and lavender when I went to vote and gave silent thanks to all of the women who fought for this day.

Even though I didn't want to co-opt it, I ended up in my white coat (which I promptly spilled coffee on), a purple shirt, and a red, white, and blue tie.

• Love 8

In almost 62 years, I've been able to count the number of times I've puked on one hand. Thanks 2016, for making me use my OTHER hand.  Not quite a VOMIT,  but a 3:00 a.m. Dee sandwich cough up ... guess that counts, eh?

Edited by walnutqueen
The Walking Dead AND Trump ads ad nauseum
  • Love 1

I have a hair appointment at 6pm eastern tonight.  Thinking of doing something crazy because, hey, why the hell not?  It's a crazy kind of day.  Thankfully, my cell phone provider offers free streaming without using data so I can keep up with results.  ;-)

I voted a few weeks back because I'm a military spouse not currently in my state of residence.  So I can kick back today on my couch with a glass of whatever I like (I'm not driving tonight).

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

Thank you.  You don't know how much I wish that Rochester was closer to Western Massachusetts so I could do that this week.  I think I'll save my I Voted sticker and make that part of the trip back after my daughter graduates in the spring.  They are talking about the suffragettes - part of my daughter's graduation celebration tradition is the Laurel Parade - 

Oh, my gosh! Thank you for sharing those. I edited only for scrolling. I figure this thread's going to move fast today. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, ABay said:

Nervously avoiding news...someone tell me when it's safe to look.

That's me too, but I keep thinking "what if I miss something that is significant?" so I am questioning  whether I have the resolve to keep myself news free until when things get wrapped up.

• Love 1

Ok, for those who want to avoid the news, but want to know when it's safe to come out, do you have a plan for that (good grief, I spent hours yesterday asking people to support Hillary, Hassan and blue down the ticket and asking if they had a plan to vote. I think I am stuck)? Like a friend or relative or anyone who can alert you by phone or text or PM? I'm being serious, because if you really want to be on blackout, you should be able to. I'm doing that for a friend (texting her to let her know when it's safe to get back online or turn on TV. I don't have that kind of willpower for this, but if you do, I hope it works. It won't be easy.  

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Ptv!

Well, yeah, lol, but what I mean is, threads here will updates people may want to avoid. Even the show threads might. I assume people who want a news blackout wants a news blackout.  The friend I'm texting later is avoiding everything but Netflix and books. No radio, no social media, nothing. I was thinking if people were checking threads to see if it was safe yet, they'd find out it wasn't and learn more than they wanted. Am I being dense? I'm exhausted today. 

• Love 1

I'm more nervous than ever after reading Trump supporters have said today, they can't wait to celebrate Trump's win so they can "start building ovens," for all those Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, Asians, Muslims, Catholics.......sickening!  After "The View," I'm tuning back into classic tv reruns & classical music radio until the polls close.  G-d Hear Our Prayers!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

A local Mexican restaurant is having a "Bad Hombre" election special today, wear your "I Voted" sticker and get a free margarita and sombrero. So that's where I'll be should anyone need me.

There's a burger joint down the block from me that's doing the same thing with their "Conflicted Burger" (one beef patty, one veggie patty).  

• Love 4