Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

OK, clearly my emotional state has taken a turn. I promise I will stop sulking and feeling bitter but I need a little more indulgence tonight. I'm not totally sure how we fix this. And I think that's OK... as long as we're trying to fix it. So I'll open it up. I don't think it's just a matter of blanket hate that will be solved by everyone having someone in their family who comes out or learning of a friend who has had an abortion. There are people in this country on both sides with valid concerns. We need to have our best minds thinking of solid solutions. We need to be accepting of what they say (listen to the recent Planet Money episode on the focus group rejecting economist's proposed plans). And after a healthy, productive debate we need to move forward on actually solving those problems. There issues with the level of political discourse and with the way we vote that need to be addressed in more than thinkpieces every four years. Gerrymandering, voter registration/suppression/access to voting stations, the electoral college, etc. And for the love of God, we can't keep weighing whoever is the most entertaining or charismatic or blah blah blah so heavily. We need to talk about issues. Not scandals. Not warped versions of the issues. But solid fucking facts and well-justified theories/plans. We can't keep voting on "feelings." Feelings don't run a country. Feelings don't give you any indication of what to expect in the real world. Stories are powerful but we need to stop giving them so much power during elections at the cost of facts and logic and reasoning and the opinions of people who are educated and informed about the topics at hand. 

• Love 8

Yeah, my relationship between television news and me receiving news is done for awhile.  I'll read the news but I will NOT listen to voices that make me want to claw a wall.  I'll stay informed, but not that way.

• Love 10

I hope we can survive this as a nation. I hope that my fears about throwing away democracy won't be true. He just....he has no ability to take anything seriously.

MAYBE he was alway lying about a lot of his positions on things- I always knew he didn't give a fuck about gay marriage, abortion, most social issues and therefore he won't ACTUALLY try to target people, round them up, etc. Maybe he'll just want to play celebrity in the White House and spend his time throwing parties, etc, like Berlusconi. That's all bad obviously, but I guess what I'm holding onto is that he's more clown than actual Hitler? God, it's such a thin thread, right? And power corrupts, which is my fear. But hopefully our institutions are strong enough to survive this? And his presidency will be a disaster and we take it back in four years, and maybe in the mid-terms too. 

Foreign policy though. Whoa. That is so concentrated in the executive branch. I'm really scared about that. Is Mike Pence basically going to be the acting president? Someone reassure me that we're going to be okay.

• Love 6

There issues with the level of political discourse and with the way we vote that need to be addressed in more than thinkpieces every four years. Gerrymandering, voter registration/suppression/access to voting stations, the electoral college, etc. 

Here's the issue: Voter registration/suppression/access to voting stations is only going to get worse now that the GOP controls everything because they're the ones who have been pushing for more voting restrictions. My home state of Wisconsin has been making it harder and harder for people to vote because of Scott Walker, and now they just re-elected Ron Johnson. It's going to get worse before it gets better. This election was our best chance to make those things better, but we failed. 

Foreign policy though. Whoa. That is so concentrated in the executive branch. I'm really scared about that. Is Mike Pence basically going to be the acting president? Someone reassure me that we're going to be okay.

That's what scares me the most. I wish I could reassure you, but I'd have to lie.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 10

Someone reassure me that we're going to be okay.

I think I might be all inspirational and resilient talked out for the night. But I'll say this. The people who didn't vote for Trump know the ways in which he and his positions are limited. And small-minded, hateful mobs have power in numbers but they are also limited. And those limitations can be exploited. If you stay miserable and hopeless, you let them win because then you can't fight back. Love and joy uplifts you. It's so much easier to sustain yourself on it than on hate and anger. Feelings and fear are easy weapons in the moment. But intelligence and reason will win out. We will strategize. We will outmaneuver. There are those among us who understand (apparently far better than Trump and some of the people around him) what power he will actually have. And when they challenge our rights and freedoms we will defend them. Progress is not a steady upward trajectory but we cannot give one bad president the power to undo years of hard won gains. 

Bad things will probably happen. There is no denying that. And the fact that we elected this goober is an embarrassment and a travesty. But we will get past it. And hopefully we will learn. And maybe if we get through enough elections into the future, he'll be another Millard Fillmore. Seriously, tell me something about Millard Fillmore. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Curio said:

From Michelle Obama—a Harvard Law School graduate—to Melania—a former model. This is the America we live in.

Indeed. Welcome to the new America where twitter popularity and celebrity wins you the presidency. 

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Selina K said:

I have always been a person who valued intelligence, education, curiosity, and knowledge.

and I feel like America just gave me the finger and took a dump on everything I believe.

Can you be my person?  If only for a moment?

• Love 3

Here's the issue: Voter registration/suppression/access to voting stations is only going to get worse now that the GOP controls everything because they're the ones who have been pushing for more voting restrictions. My home state of Wisconsin has been making it harder and harder for people to vote because of Scott Walker, and now they just re-elected Ron Johnson. It's going to get worse before it gets better. This election was our best chance to make those things better, but we failed.

I refuse to believe nothing can be done. I'm not exactly sure how something can be done. But there are people who are. And if it takes some people watching CSPAN and getting people motivated to do it then that's what needs to happen. If the NRA can get their relatively small but vocal number of supporters to push through their legislation then surely the rest of us can have a voice if we can only figure out how to make ourselves heard.

• Love 9

I don't remember if we discussed this, but I hope everyone took action to protect their assets. I moved my retirement and 401k to cash funds a couple of months ago. The stock market will be ... volatile for a while.

I fear Trump's rabid inner circle more than I do him. Rudy Giuliani as Attorney General, Don and Eric as cabinet members, Brietbart in charge of the press ...

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I think I might be all inspirational and resilient talked out for the night. But I'll say this. The people who didn't vote for Trump know the ways in which he and his positions are limited. And small-minded, hateful mobs have power in numbers but they are also limited. And those limitations can be exploited. If you stay miserable and hopeless, you let them win because then you can't fight back. Love and joy uplifts you. It's so much easier to sustain yourself on it than on hate and anger. Feelings and fear are easy weapons in the moment. But intelligence and reason will win out. We will strategize. We will outmaneuver. There are those among us who understand (apparently far better than Trump and some of the people around him) what power he will actually have. And when they challenge our rights and freedoms we will defend them. Progress is not a steady upward trajectory but we cannot give one bad president the power to undo years of hard won gains. 

Bad things will probably happen. There is no denying that. And the fact that we elected this goober is an embarrassment and a travesty. But we will get past it. And hopefully we will learn. And maybe if we get through enough elections into the future, he'll be another Millard Fillmore. Seriously, tell me something about Millard Fillmore. 

I will never question our spirit. But what happens in between now and then? Practically speaking, what happens to Obamacare? Are the Republicans really going to rip 20 million people's healthcare from them? (Some of those people live in red states under Republican governors who expanded it).

• Love 8

Trump disturbs me. Pence terrifies me. My only hope is that Trump has painted himself as the only savior of this nation. When he fails to deliver on well, everything, I have to believe disgruntled voters might turn blue again. Both parties have some serious fixing to do.

I get the anti-establishment vibe. I do. But Trump is not qualified to run this country. I fear for immigrants, muslims, women, for the lgbtq community. But I have to believe his power won't last.

But I fear for the Supreme Court changes and whatever the hell he will do to our foreign policy. 

I plan to to be angry and sad for awhile. Then its time to fight but take the high road and ccounteract all the hate and negativity as much as possible. 

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 15
6 minutes ago, Pollock said:

But I'm confident that you'll rise up to the occasion as individuals. You'll volunteer, you'll help, you'll harass your representatives when they're about to pass an injust law, you'll fight for education, you'll make sure that every American who wants to CAN vote next time. To summerize : at your level, you will be sabotaging hatred and this will not happen again.

Thank you @Pollock. That made me cry but also feel strengthened.

• Love 4

We've made it through Republican presidents before. But this guy is a wildcard. He can't take criticism, which makes me fear for the press, frankly. I also wonder how Republicans govern now, aside from the Supreme Court, which will I guess stay 5-4 for now. God. I hope the liberals and even Kennedy can hold on there, I really do.

I really find myself wondering about Obamacare. Are the Republicans going to strip that healthcare from everyone, even though it benefits many of their own voters even in some red states where the Republican governors expanded medicaid? (Like Ohio). That's 20 million people. That'd be a radical move. And I would think it would hurt them. They never answer these questions because they haven't had to. And now they do. I'd like to hear some real answers now that governing is in their hands.

Is the most likely scenario that Mike Pence is acting president now? Is that what's going to happen? 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I refuse to believe nothing can be done. I'm not exactly sure how something can be done. But there are people who are. And if it takes some people watching CSPAN and getting people motivated to do it then that's what needs to happen. If the NRA can get their relatively small but vocal number of supporters to push through their legislation then surely the rest of us can have a voice if we can only figure out how to make ourselves heard.

Sweet dreams, darlin'.

9 minutes ago, lordonia said:

I don't remember if we discussed this, but I hope everyone took action to protect their assets. I moved my retirement and 401k to cash funds a couple of months ago. The stock market will be ... volatile for a while.

I fear Trump's rabid inner circle more than I do him. Rudy Giuliani as Attorney General, Don and Eric as cabinet member, Brietbart in charge of the press ...

I don't have ASSETS.  i have a mountain of debt and a Casa de Deplorable that will be all mine in 2018.  I was fucked before, and now I'm just double-fucked.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I hope we can survive this as a nation. I hope that my fears about throwing away democracy won't be true. He just....he has no ability to take anything seriously.

MAYBE he was alway lying about a lot of his positions on things- I always knew he didn't give a fuck about gay marriage, abortion, most social issues and therefore he won't ACTUALLY try to target people, round them up, etc. Maybe he'll just want to play celebrity in the White House and spend his time throwing parties, etc, like Berlusconi. That's all bad obviously, but I guess what I'm holding onto is that he's more clown than actual Hitler?.

I don't think Trump is Hitler. I do think he is an egotistical whiny crybaby manchild with a paper thin skin. It depends on what one thinks is worse, I suppose, stupidity or evil. Although Trump isn't stupid. It's more like, what is the least damaging, no self control v evil.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I don't think Trump is Hitler. I do think he is an egotistical whiny crybaby manchild with a paper thin skin. It depends on what one thinks is worse, I suppose, stupidity or evil. Although Trump isn't stupid. It's more like, what is the least damaging, no self control v evil.

I really, really hope you're right. But he was once seen as a clown too. Hopefully our institutions are strong enough to bear this out, because he WANTS to be Putin, he really does. You don't think he's going to target the press and everyone who makes fun or criticizes him? He's being given all this power and that's what power does to fragile egos. The Republicans have shown no ability or desire to stand up to him, despite the fact that they all know he's unfit for this office. Will they change now? Will any of them put their country before their party?

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

We've made it through Republican presidents before. But this guy is a wildcard. He can't take criticism, which makes me fear for the press, frankly. I also wonder how Republicans govern now, aside from the Supreme Court, which will I guess stay 5-4 for now. God. I hope the liberals and even Kennedy can hold on there, I really do.

I really find myself wondering about Obamacare. Are the Republicans going to strip that healthcare from everyone, even though it benefits many of their own voters even in some red states where the Republican governors expanded medicaid? (Like Ohio). That's 20 million people. That'd be a radical move. And I would think it would hurt them. They never answer these questions because they haven't had to. And now they do. I'd like to hear some real answers now that governing is in their hands.

Is the most likely scenario that Mike Pence is acting president now? Is that what's going to happen? 

There's no way Pence will be running the show. As I understand he wasn't Trump's pick and they barely tolerated each other during the campaign. Trump is all ego. There's no way he'll settle for being a talking head which ironically enough is what he is. He will want to run things. His ego won't allow him to do otherwise. 

That said, I wonder how long he'll last on the job. The love and accolades of campaigning fueled his ego. Once he takes office the accolades and love are over and the real work begins. I don't think he'll be able to handle the lack of love and "positive" attention. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 7

Sweet dreams, darlin'.

Don't patronize me. Whether it will be done is unlikely but whether something can be done is not so much of an impossibility that we should stop trying. The strongest and smartest among us need to step up and guide the way. 

You don't think he's going to target the press and everyone who makes fun or criticizes him?

They may not have been able to stop him from getting elected president but the press and the larger entertainment industry won't be going down without a fight. You can't silence everyone and these days, unless you make people "disappear" it's hard to completely silence someone. Even if someone lost their job at a newspaper, for example, there are so many ways to communicate with the world at large.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Curio said:

What I find baffling is this idea that America was so bad that we had to make it "great" again. Whether you liked him or not, Obama was a pretty damn good president. Smart, eloquent, no scandals. How did this happen?

And on a shallow note - Obama is so handsome. Trump is . . . not a 10.

• Love 9

There's no way Pence will be running the show. As I understand he wasn't Trump's puck and they barely tolerated each other during the campaign. Trump is all ego. There's no way he'll settle for being a talking head which ironically enough is what he is. He will want to run things. His ego won't allow him to do otherwise. 

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think we now need to consider what role Melania and his children could actually play in the government and in shaping policy and ideology. GARGH.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think we now need to consider what role Melania and his children could actually play in the government and in shaping policy and ideology. GARGH.

Melania? None. His kids are a different story.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Enero said:

That said, I wonder how long he'll last on the job. The love and accolades of campaigning fueled his ego. Once he takes office the accolades and love are over and the real work begins. I don't think he'll be able to handle the lack of love and "positive" attention. 

Yes, this is my biggest question. I can't help but think Pence WILL run the show, because I'm telling you, he is going to HATE this job. Hate it. He'll only want to do the symbolic part of it, have parties, etc. But he will want to abuse whatever power he has for vengeance quests to people who criticize him.

I have to think whoever he's got around him are going to be the ones running things. So who's that going to be? Gingrich? Giuliani? Christie? These people were once IN government, so they presumably have some idea how to do things, and then will it be like essentially dealing with a normal Republican administration? But what about the nuclear codes? (Gah, I get shudders thinking about it! He doesn't understand why we don't use nuclear weapons!)

Speaking of Chris Christie, I gotta be honest...we all know now that he's a corrupt asshole in the Nixon model, but I'd even take him over this man-child. I can't believe I find myself hoping for ANY ounce of responsibility to come out of these soulless Republicans who all know they've placed a completely unqualified person in the most powerful position in the world. Please make them try not to let everything get destroyed, for the love of god. If there's any sense of responsibility in these people to not blow everything up, let them exercise it.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 6

I'm not ready to call him president. Maybe in 4 years as he's leaving office... 

I'm not as sad as I thought that I would be. Poor Hillary has to be torn up. I blame the media. The media should blame themselves. If they were responsible and wanted to do their patriotic duty, they would never let another candidate go unchecked like that again. 

Who am I kidding. They made a lot of money off of Trump. I hope they all go broke. 

Maybe Trump will change the bankruptcy laws, since he's so familiar with bankruptcy. 

• Love 7

I'm not as sad as I thought that I would be. 

I teared up. But I think I'm all talked out now. And probably honestly both mentally and emotionally exhausted. It's 5 am. No one's going to do a surprise recount. It is my fervent hope that our best and brightest will not give up the fight and will help us figure out where we go from here. Personally, I have a life to sort out. It will not be easy but I am fighting my instincts to curl up into a ball and hide. I am using what I have... my words... to try and keep others from faltering. But no more tonight. Well, really this morning. But I'll be back, don't worry. :)

• Love 6

Because I have no childre to tell my stories to ..

Long, long time ago, my nude beach BFF & I crossed the border to buy cheap t-shirts at the Army&Navy store in Bellingham, Washington.  She dragged me into a chocolate shoppe, where some idiot told us Ronnie was elected.  Alzheimers and an astrology-practising turkey vulture with nail polish First Lady.  I STILL moved to America.  Don't make me regret eveything i ever did, USA.

• Love 9

There needs to be a massive push to educate the American public on how politics works. Most people I know don't even know what the Senate and House of Representatives does. The media has made the word "politician" so venomous that we'd rather put a fucking reality TV star with zero experience into the White House instead of a highly qualified, intelligent candidate who has had decades of experience, all because the word "politician" scares people. There's a reason many lawyers become involved with politics (and many become successful presidents), and it's not because they're evil—it's because law and policy go hand-in-hand. Many of my friends refused to vote in this election or wrote in a third party, yet they're the same people who will complain about marijuana not being legalized. (And now they'll get to wait another four years.) I went out and knocked on doors and phone banked during this election, and it's utterly depressing that my work went towards nothing. 

• Love 18
44 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

I'm sorry - I have no hope here.  I'm terrified, absolutely terrified.

Me either! I am worried that after Trump officially takes the oath of office, that that V.P. of his (Mike Pence!) will make every move, immediately if not sooner, to turn this nation into a fundamentalist Evangelical Christian theocracy!

• Love 7

Welp, it's 3 am and i have zero chance of sleeping tonight.

Much appreciation to those who have tried to make positive statements. I'm skeptical, but I needed to hear it. :)

Honest to God, this feels like the worst dream ever. I keep thinking of how President Obama will have to turn over the keys to the guy who challenged his very right to the job for five years. It makes me sick.

Edited by bref
  • Love 18

Well, shit. The American Brexit has happened.

I am devastated. I knew the race would be close, but my heart sank when I saw the election returns from the first few states. Hillary was behind right from the beginning. How did the pollsters and pundits get it so wrong? Most of them kept saying Trump would not be able to get the required 270 electoral votes, but he took them easily. How did the Republican Party screw up so much in the first place that a buffoon like Trump got the nomination, out of 17 candidates? This time a year ago, I was sure that Jeb Bush would get the nomination. Obviously I'm no good at predictions either.

In hindsight, I feel that I should have seen this coming. I never thought the "global village" concept would last in the long term, because I observed that people around the world kept separating themselves into ethnic/racial/religious/national/etc. tribes instead of coming together for the common good. The European Union was a start toward unity for mutual benefit, but now it appears to be in danger of falling apart. America has just said "fuck you" to international cooperation and development, not to mention saying "fuck you too" to progressive American citizens.

I kept reading articles saying that the composition of America was inexorably changing, that whites would soon be in the minority (I'm white, BTW) and that blacks and Hispanics would have greater numbers and therefore greater political power. I read that women would rally behind the fist viable woman Presidential candidate. Well, there was scant evidence of that in this election. Another flawed prediction. The status quo won.

In an attempt to keep calm, I posted a few days back that no matter who won the election, on November 9 life would go on as usual: the electricity would be on, grocery stores would have food, gas stations would have gas, and so on. I also said that the stock market would not crash. I was wrong about the market. For example, look at this headline from Reuters: "Dollar, Mexican peso, stocks topple as Trump heads for White House." The article says: "The U.S. dollar sank and stocks plummeted in market mayhem on Wednesday as investors faced up to a shock win for Donald Trump in the U.S. presidential election that could upend the global political order... European shares looked set to follow with losses of more than 4 percent... free-fall in chaotic trading as once again polls and betting markets proved woefully wrong... Sovereign bonds, the Japanese yen and gold surged while the Mexican peso went into near free-fall in chaotic trading as once again polls and betting markets proved woefully wrong...'Markets are reacting as though the four horsemen of the apocalypse just rode out of Trump Tower,' said Sean Callow, a forex strategist at Westpac in Sydney. "Or at least 3 of them - it might be 4 when the prospect of a clean sweep of Congress sinks in..." ' http://in.reuters.com/article/us-global-markets-idINKBN1340DE

I am frightened and discouraged to see dictators and right wing groups around the world congratulating Trump. President Vladimir Putin of Russia; President Erdogan of Turkey; the trash-talking President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines; Marine Le Pen of the far right National Front in France; and so on. I guess by this time tomorrow we'll see Julian Assange of Wikileaks gloating about the Trump victory and how his fucking Wikileaks helped tear Hillary apart.

At home, we'll be stuck with the Breitbart type Republicans like Newt Gingrich. NG is from my state and we know how bad he is. I'm afraid we can also expect to see the corrupt Chris Christie and the unhinged Rudy Giuliani given positions of power in the Trump administration. And last but not least, we'll probably have to endure seeing the smirking face of Kellyanne Conway all the time, as White House press secretary or something.

I pray we can make it through the next four years without another major recession, a civil war or riots.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Love 19
2 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

I am frightened and discouraged to see dictators and right wing groups around the world congratulating Trump. President Vladimir Putin of Russia; President Erdogan of Turkey; the trash-talking President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines; Marine Le Pen of the far right National Front in France; and so on. I guess by this time tomorrow we'll see Julian Assange of Wikileaks gloating about the Trump victory and how his fucking Wikileaks helped tear Hillary apart.

And worse yet, Big Religion-- Tony Perkins, Pat Robertson, and all those other big religious jokers!

• Love 3

Sadly, I don't think it's that easy to immigrate to Canada. From what I understand Canada only wants people with specific skills and occupations.  

Shakes head at self. I'll be a zombie tomorrow - a very depressed zombie -  but I just haven't been able to get to sleep.

• Love 4

I can't sleep. I worry about having nightmares. I actually find myself wishing that decent Republicans will try to serve somehow to surround him with as many baby-sitters as possible, just so that you know, the government isn't DESTROYED as a result of this. I would rather he have as many adults around him as possible to protect us from the real threats that I'm now scared of.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

I kept reading articles saying that the composition of America was inexorably changing, that whites would soon be in the minority (I'm white, BTW) and that blacks and Hispanics would have greater numbers and therefore greater political power. I read that women would rally behind the fist viable woman Presidential candidate. Well, there was scant evidence of that in this election. Another flawed prediction. The status quo won.

This is why the GOP wants to make it more difficult to vote. America made so much progress as a country in the past 8 years, and to suddenly know it's going to shift backward... Fucking 'member berries, man. The only good thing about all of this is that the pendulum always swings back the other way eventually. 

• Love 6