Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

26 minutes ago, random chance said:

I believe that's the only way forward now - his people have to be shown (not told) that he's a piece of crap. He's a boil and they're the only thing that can lance him. And it is going to suck for them.

I don't think it'll make a difference. People who supported W loved what he was doing and approved of everything...until it got so bad they couldn't ignore how it was affecting them. It didn't make them look at the policies they believed in and rethink them. They just blamed it on him for not doing it right or not doing it enough and voted for someone even more extreme. To hear some people talk about W when he'd gotten so unpopular you'd think he was voted and supported by aliens.

• Love 7

I wish PBS wouldn't be so quick to pull their programs' current season episodes from their website, on demand, etc.  I could use the escapism.

And I'll probably stop watching Designated Survivor.  I wasn't that good in any case and I can't handle a White House based show now (nor will I likely give House of American Cards a second chance).

• Love 3

My child was scared to go to school today because the trump supporters in her class (5th grade) have been relentless for weeks.  After she was done crying we tried to give her the tools to deal and not tolerate any bullying comments.

I am horrified. I cannot get myself together today. I am just so sad.  I cannot believe that after Obama, this happened.  It's too much to process.  I felt high the last few days I was so excited to vote for Hillary.  This is horrific.

• Love 24
3 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

She should just stand on stage, give the country the finger and say, 'good luck. You'll need it.'

If she had the emotional demeanor and spitefulness of Trump, she'd do exactly that. But she's smart, she knows that putting forth an angry and vengeful speech would do a whole lot of damage, more than we can imagine. The is why she knows when and how to use diplomacy, something Trump will never learn.

Just for laughs, I'll post a tweet from a comedian from last night as the news of his win was being realized on social media.Twitter.jpg

• Love 14
1 minute ago, HumblePi said:

At this point, the wall is an unrealistic pipe dream. There won't be money there to build it. The wall was never something that was even remotely possible, it was only a talking point that Drumpf used to make people that hate Hispanics hopeful. It's never going to happen.

I wonder how his supporters will react when they realise one of the main rallying calls of his campaign is something he has no intention of following through with? Well, two, if you count locking Hillary up, which it seems like he's not going to try to do either.

Honestly, if he had run on a platform of cleaning up Washington and reinvigorating the American economy through govt spending, without any of the racist crap, I might even have supported him. Of course, if he'd done that, he'd never have won the nomination or the presidency.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

I wish PBS wouldn't be so quick to pull their programs' current season episodes from their website, on demand, etc.  I could use the escapism.

And I'll probably stop watching Designated Survivor.  I wasn't that good in any case and I can't handle a White House based show now (nor will I likely give House of American Cards a second chance).

I was in the middle of a West Wing rewatch, and it's suddenly soured for me completely. Every time I hear the words 'president', 'White House' or anything similar, I feel queasy. And I was gearing up to watch Designated Survivor at some point soon. Dammit.

• Love 2

Just a reminder to all those Trump voters who believe (his) "Taking Back THEIR Country" gives them the right to threaten, intimidate or murder those of us, they consider "inferior," because of our skin color, ethnic heritage, religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, college educations or professions & don't want women making decisions about their own bodies..... be careful what you wish for......because we're not going anywhere & we will fight back against you haters "tooth & nail."  

• Love 24

I watched them slowly walk out after Podesta came out and said GO HOME!. For whatever reason she chose not to come out. Yeah, the first sign should have been her campaign slogan. HER. It's all about her.

Am I missing something that the only thing I thought with her delaying her concession speech was that it was because it was like 2 in the freaking morning and people wanted to go home and her taking the time to give her speech now would just make it even later when Trump finally got to his acceptance speech when she was done?

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

But we don't have the deep fear of an enforcement squad coming into our workplace or home to yank us out and deport the father of five legally born US children. We aren't a Muslim mother who will be afraid for her life going out to buy a loaf of bread or drop her child off to school. I won't be someone that's LGBT that had planned on fulfilling a dream by marrying their partner. I won't be a black man walking down the street in Chicago being afraid he's going to be shot in the back. So, it's comparing apples to oranges.

For now.  But for all we know, after he deports all the immigrant people of color, he'll start on all immigrants, which includes my husband.  Then it will be children of immigrants.  He has four years and the backing of the other 2 branches of government,  he and his ilk may be unstoppable.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I wonder how his supporters will react when they realise one of the main rallying calls of his campaign is something he has no intention of following through with?

One Trump talking head just said that it wasn't a physical wall, but a "metaphor" for tighter borders.   The re-spin is going on overdrive.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Hmm. Now that you mention it, yeah I think she gave the middle finger to her supporters last night. I felt for them. I didn't get the impression that they were the Go lows. I watched them slowly walk out after Podesta came out and said GO HOME!. For whatever reason she chose not to come out. Yeah, the first sign should have been her campaign slogan. HER. It's all about her. I feel for the ones who sincerely wanted her to win. I wish the others, the go lows, would try to find a way to listen to Michelle's Go high comment. 

The election hadn't been officially 'called' at the point that Podesta came out and told everyone to leave. Her concession speech to them and to the nation hadn't been finalized. I really imagined her staff trying to put together a concession speech that wouldn't sound like sour grapes or even inflammatory in any way. To their credit, all those thousands standing in line since 3 in the afternoon then waiting until 2 a.m. didn't go ballistic or riot as his supporters would have done immediately. Disappointment, sadness and disappointment can instantly turn into anger, fear and protesting.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I am so sad today. Sad down to my bones. I cried last night like I don't remember crying before. Not even when my father died. I wasn't one of those people who voted for Hillary because she was the Democratic nominee and not Donald Trump. I voted for her because I love her. Because I've always wanted her to be my President. Because I fell in love with her in 1992 when she said she wasn't some woman standing by her man. 24 at the time, I had never met a woman like that before. They didn't exist in my family or among the people that I knew. A strong, confident woman who was a mother, an Attorney and a wife. A wife who was supportive of her husband but earned more money than he did. Someone with her own mind who wasn't afraid to speak what was on it. Then my heart broke for her during the terrible White House years with constant investigations and a betrayal by her husband. But she always just kept on going. Doing what needed to be done. I don't always agree with her and she is not perfect, but I still love her. 

I bought a good bottle of Champagne last night. I couldn't wait to celebrate with my husband and my daughter. I told her I wanted to sit close to her when the results were coming in. She might not know it now I told her, but some day she would tell her own children that she held her mother's hand when our country elected our first woman President.  She would tell them that it meant everything to me. She would tell them that it was the best day. I am so angry that the memory is something else entirely. I am so angry with the country that I love. I am embarrassed today. 

I also cried all night, and I am still crying.  I voted with my daughters and told them I would wake them up when she was giving her victory speech.  I cannot stop crying. I have always loved Hillary and it felt like I waited forever to vote for her.  My heart is shattered.  

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

At this point, the wall is an unrealistic pipe dream. There won't be money there to build it. The wall was never something that was even remotely possible, it was only a talking point that Trump used to make people that hate Hispanics hopeful. It's never going to happen.

At this point the wall wont be there to keep Mexicans out...it'll be there to keep Americans in.  The Canadian Immigration website crashed last night and thats just the beginning.  Unfortunately my job doesnt allow to me to kick up and leave but if I had a couple million stashed away I would be moving asap.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

One Drumpf talking head just said that it wasn't a physical wall, but a "metaphor" for tighter borders.   The re-spin is going on overdrive.

"And it just got ten (metaphorical) feet higher."

Haha. So the new truth and no-nonsense politics promised didn't even last a day? This really is Brexit all over again!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Hmm. Now that you mention it, yeah I think she gave the middle finger to her supporters last night. I felt for them. I didn't get the impression that they were the Go lows. I watched them slowly walk out after Podesta came out and said GO HOME!. For whatever reason she chose not to come out. Yeah, the first sign should have been her campaign slogan. HER. It's all about her. I feel for the ones who sincerely wanted her to win. I wish the others, the go lows, would try to find a way to listen to Michelle's Go high comment. 

Well don't worry, I'm sure there won't be any more women with the temerity to try to make it "all about them" for the foreseeable future. At least until Elizabeth Warren in 2020, I hope.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

I am still in shock and wondering if I should have even come into work today. Luckily I work for a non profit where our core values are one of support.  So it is a friendly environment. 

As an African-American and Gay man I am saddened about how this will affect my communities.  The next VP believes in conversion therapy for fuck’s sake. All of the advances that the LGBT community has made are at risk of being overturned. What the republicans have done with voting gerrymandering will only increase and affect countless if not all predominately based communities of color.  It’s a scary thought to realize that you are now potentially a target and there is no recourse for protection. As Bill Maher stated on his show SHIT JUST GOT REAL! He also said when Fascist get power they don’t let it go and when 2 branches of government are right leaning and has influence on the third I totally see them initiating changes that will ensure their strangle hold on power.

This will become an even bigger “US vs. THEM” country with the US being very small and the THEM being larger than we think. 

I’ve taken a sabbatical from News TV. I just can’t bring myself to hear the Trump surrogates gloat and pat themselves on the back for distorting the truth, outright lying and playing on the fears of people for their own personal gain.   I can’t even take solace in the fact that when it is proven that Trump is a huckster that can’t make good on any of his vague promises and I can have an I told you so moment. Why? Because to get to that point how many lives will be ruined? OK you want to repeal ObamacCare. What’s your plan to replace it with? When you end it and strand 20 million people without healthcare what are they going to do while you figure it out? When the lesbian mother is fired from her job not based on performance because her boss is an evangelical what protection is she going to have? When the Gay couple of 30 years is fighting for their spousal rights when one of them is incapacitated fighting against a bigoted family member going against their expressed wishes. What then? The list can go on.

Yes, SHIT JUST GOT REAL and life shattering.  But I will remain resilient, I have to!

And as Governor Mike Pence remarked about the explosion of HIV related cases in Indiana due to his blocking of funding for Planned Parenthood and HIV screening, "I'll go home and pray on it".

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

And, wait until Paul Ryan is given a blank check to privatize Social Security and gut Medicare with his Ayn Rand-loving self.  As I told one of my friends this morning, it infuriates me that a lot of young Black people didn't bother to vote because they weren't "feeling the candidate."  Well, when their grandmother's Social Security is privatized and she's forced to move in with them and their parents, I don't want to hear nary a peep.  Just the thought of Ghouliani instituting his stop-and-frisk policy nationwide to address the "inner city problem" should have been incentive enough to send their asses to the polls.  

See this?  Is what terrifies me.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

One Trump talking head just said that it wasn't a physical wall, but a "metaphor" for tighter borders.   The re-spin is going on overdrive.

You must be shitting me. God.

So Trump was insisting on making Mexico pay for the building and construction of immigration policy. Riiiiiight.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

Oh--a metaphor that Mexico was going to pay for?  Please!

Not even sworn in yet and the lying and backpedaling has already started.

• Love 10

The media (who shares some blame) has already forgotten that the FBI, Russian Intelligence (inc. Putin) and Julian Assange played a role--probably a decisive role--in this alt-right victory (let's say, with 3 branches of govt under control, rightwing coup).

Let's not us forget it. Trump did NOT just win from a populist message and a bunch of angry dissatisfied voters.

Also, I am, let's say "surprised", that EVERY poll, including the RNCs and Trump's own pollsters--and all the exit polls--saw a clear Hillary victory. Apparently the RNC told the press last Friday they were showing him losing by 2pts in almost every battleground.

If there -wasn't- voter suppression or cheating this time (and I wonder) I'm sure they'll have it all in place next time.

I feel sorriest for the children, for immigrants and for minorities, including religious minorities who will feel the rise of hate and bigotry, see the bullying and anger, as they now take our nation backwards to an uglier time.  

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

I’ve taken a sabbatical from News TV.

I've got Discovery ID on the tv now as I work.  I can't even watch the local news.  I know my co-worker, whom I'm to divide up work (well I do the bulk - have to show her everything - which is another painful story) was a Cruz supporter, so I'm, sure she voted for Orange.  It'll be judge tv shows, Springer, and some mindless crap on the rest of the day.  

Sorry, won't be watching inaugural.  Can't bear to watch HRC speech now.  Devastated and gutted.

NYCNJbear06, hang in there.  Not everyone is full of hate.  I've been crying all night and day for those groups that will be directly impacted.  I'm an old white straight female.  I don't know of your struggles personally, but it doesn't mean I don't care.  I do.  I'm crying as I type this.  Please believe me that not all white people in the midwest (OH here) are against you.  We are with you, and all those who will be hurt by this election.  I am so saddened by all the hate.  I thought we were finally above that all.  

Someone on the radio yesterday said that we should be behind whomever wins, hope they do well.  I guess maybe, but he's been proven to be a vile human being.  Pence is no better, just not as obvious at first glance to be as vile.  He's truly a wolf in sheep's clothing.   If they turn out to do some good things, then ok.  Until they actually do something good, then I am on guard.

Ok back to work and to grab another Kleenex.  Crying so hard I cannot see the screen.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

Women's rights have been set back 100 years. All the advancements made by women rights activists has been stalled now for an interminable amount of time. Bottom line as far as women's rights go, the score is Men-100 Women-0. Donald just validated men's mentality that says it's okay to call a woman a bitch. It's okay to take liberties with her body. It's okay to diminish their roles in business and public life. It's so awful but it's the least of our worries right now, sad to say that, but woman will again take a back seat priority in this administration.

Forgive me but I can't bear to Google for the exact quote and source, but essentially white women put Trump over the top. White women could have stopped him. And they didn't.

I don't even begin to understand it.

• Love 17
30 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I wonder how soon the Trumpistas will start screeching that criticizing the president is unpatriotic at best and treason at worst. 

The only funny thing to me was when my son came in last night and said that Trump was speaking graciously about Hillary and the Deplorables were booing him and wanted him to get back to the "lock her up" speeches.

(I couldn't watch, so this remains urban legend to me.  I'm sure someone told him the markets were tanking and if he wanted to save his $250 million stock portfolio he'd better make nice. But it did give me a bitter laugh to imagine them turning on him, even for a moment.)

Edited by Padma
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, ChiCricket said:

This is what I wrote to my sister this morning.:
       "You're  still my sister, and I love you, but having you GLEEFULLY announce this morning to me that you voted for a misogynistic anti-Semitic ,racist, and homophobic person like Trump has made me lose all respect for you.
 .   Congrats on your candidate winning, I guess, but I am sick at heart for this country.

I guess now I know how you REALLY feel about my nonwhite family and friends, my Jewish family and friends, and my friends and family who are LGBTQ.

Only Christian and pure White are ok in your book if you voted for Trump. That's my honest opinion, and I won't apologize for saying it ..EVER. //end rant/

Ps been crying ever since I sent it, but don't regret doing so.

Not to worry, you aren't alone. Shock last night overpowered reason and there's millions of people that were voicing your exact sentiments at that time. This shock and dismay isn't going away, not for a long time. There's only going to be a very gradual feeling of resignation albeit a deeply depressed resignation.

• Love 7

Early this morning I called the only other strong Hillary supporter I know - my shrink - and left her a message about how distraught I was and how maybe I could use some valium.  A little while ago she called me back to commiserate and then said "About those valium, were you serious?"  And I said "When I called you, I was probably just joking, but you know, the longer I think about it the more I realize I probably could use a couple to get me through the next few days."  I told her something I've felt all along, the reason for my extra anxiety over this election: it didn't matter if the polls said he wouldn't win, once he was on the ballot there always existed the possibility that he could.

My financial advisor wanted to meet with me back in September to talk about strategies to deal with different election results, but for a couple of reasons we never did get together.  I emailed him this morning to ask if there was still anything worth talking about.  He said I'd be fine, he'd done some hedging over the last few weeks, he finished it off by saying not to make any emotional decisions based on the election. But it's hard, because I really am upset and unsure about the future of the country.

Going from the high of the Cubs winning the World Series last week to this pit of despair I'm in right now is indescribable.

• Love 12

I'm dreading the inevitable complacency in America that will set in. I'm dreading seeing all the media talk show hosts who ridiculed Trump for the past year begrudgingly inviting him onto their shows with open arms and laughing about some stupid pop culture thing. I'm dreading watching all the Hollywood actors and singers who were so adamantly against Trump go to the White House in 2017 to celebrate a fancy dinner party with the Trump family. I'm dreading people not caring about politics anymore. But if anything, people need to be involved in politics now more than ever. Americans need to know what the hell the Executive, Judicial, and Legislative branches do, and that Congress is made up of both the Senate and the House of Representatives. Can most Americans even describe what each of the branches do? Can most Americans even name their state's Senate representatives? People need to travel the world more and become friends with other people who have different viewpoints than them. People need to not give up after this election.

Stephen Colbert mentioned taking a break from politics for a while, but I disagree. Complacency is exactly what got us where we are now. We need to focus on the next 2018 elections and show that democracy can work. Get involved with local politics. Volunteer. Phone bank. If Bernie was able to create a political revolution in less than a year, surely a disgruntled America who wants to see change can do the same. Maybe it will take some riots or protests to get there, but we can't be complacent.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

Someone on the radio yesterday said that we should be behind whomever wins, hope they do well. 

No. Nobody is going to guilt me into doing that. The only way things change is if he fails utterly and goes down in such epic flames that nobody will ever, ever again consider voting for the likes of him.

• Love 24
3 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

This is what I wrote to my sister this morning.:
       "You're  still my sister, and I love you, but having you GLEEFULLY announce this morning to me that you voted for a misogynistic anti-Semitic ,racist, and homophobic person like Drumpf has made me lose all respect for you.
 .   Congrats on your candidate winning, I guess, but I am sick at heart for this country.

I guess now I know how you REALLY feel about my nonwhite family and friends, my Jewish family and friends, and my friends and family who are LGBTQ.

Only Christian and pure White are ok in your book if you voted for Drumpf. That's my honest opinion, and I won't apologize for saying it ..EVER. //end rant/

Ps been crying ever since I sent it, but don't regret doing so.

I have genuinely stopped talking to people who voted Brexit (fortunately, most of my friends voted to Remain), because I cannot abide the thought processes that went into making that decision. I'm not sure if I would cut off communication from a direct relative over it, but I would definitely think about it. Especially over Trump, whose campaign was more divisive and poisonous than even Brexit. You have more forbearance than I, I think.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Padma said:

The media (who shares some blame) has already forgotten that the FBI, Russian Intelligence (inc. Putin) and Julian Assange played a role--probably a decisive role--in this alt-right victory (let's say, with 3 branches of govt under control, rightwing coup).

Let's not us forget it. Trump did NOT just win from a populist message and a bunch of angry dissatisfied voters.

Also, I am, let's say "surprised", that EVERY poll, including the RNCs and Trump's own pollsters--and all the exit polls--saw a clear Hillary victory. Apparently the RNC told the press last Friday they were showing him losing by 2pts in almost every battleground.

If there -wasn't- voter suppression or cheating this time (and I wonder) I'm sure they'll have it all in place next time.

I feel sorriest for the children, for immigrants and for minorities, including religious minorities who will feel the rise of hate and bigotry, see the bullying and anger, as they now take our nation backwards to an uglier time.  

Of course, the media has forgotten about the rogue elements in the FBI, as well as their breathlessly leaking documents from Wikileaks, some of which were faked.  The media definitely needs to be dragged for its role.  I hope they are proud of themselves with their fear of being called liberal and their false equivalence.

This is the other thing that frightens me about the elevation of this sociopath.  Any investigations will be stonewalled or nixed altogether.  Nor, do I have any reason to believe that those who were defrauded by Trump "university" will be vindicated.  Look at what he's already gotten away with; why should that be any different?

I'm just so thoroughly disgusted that this unqualified shit stain is the president-elect.  Think about this for a moment.  For a lot of jobs now, you have to have a degree, some aptitude for the job required and skill.  In addition, you have to have a desire to learn.  Yet, Drumpf was elected by a segment of the population to lead this nation.  The sad thing is that the level of discourse has gotten so bad that his supporters don't care.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, random chance said:

Forgive me but I can't bear to Google for the exact quote and source, but essentially white women put Trump over the top. White women could have stopped him. And they didn't.

I don't even begin to understand it.

Yep...saw the demos on CNN.  White women both educated and non educated voted for Trump at a very high clip. Both over 65% I think.  

• Love 2

I woke up today hoping it was a nightmare. It's already getting disturbing and scary when I saw a pic of the KKK celebrating on the streets of NC. 

I can only hope that Congress can stand up to him and reign in him and not allow him to walk all over them like he did in during the election. 

• Love 4

Someone do me a favor and google this: "homes for sale in Cape Breton" or "homes for sale in Ontario".   Do that please and let me know what you come up with on google search.  Google a few of them, not only one

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

The reason? When I was four years old, my parents took me to Disney World. I remember visiting the Hall of Presidents like it was yesterday (it was 28 years ago).

Oh FUCK ME, I won't be able to visit the Hall of Presidents for a while. Fuck. We want to take our toddler to Disney World in a couple years. I could not sit through that shit. Thank you for reminding me to avoid that.

• Love 5

I've seen a lot of people say they're avoiding the news. I hope that means they take a big hit in ratings and advertising this sweeps month.

Also, it occurs to me that when they call him President Trump the T will get lost, so that it'll be President Rump. (This cheered me up ever so slightly for a microsecond.)

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, random chance said:

No. Nobody is going to guilt me into doing that. The only way things change is if he fails utterly and goes down in such epic flames that nobody will ever, ever again consider voting for the likes of him.

Word. I hope it's not as bad as I think it'll be, but I also don't hope people end up liking him as president.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

I'm just so thoroughly disgusted that this unqualified shit stain is the president-elect.  Think about this for a moment.  For a lot of jobs now, you have to have a degree, some aptitude for the job required and skill.  In addition, you have to have a desire to learn.  Yet, Drumpf was elected by a segment of the population to lead this nation.  The sad thing is that the level of discourse has gotten so bad that his supporters don't care.

Yes, this is the thing exactly.

I'm sad for the loss, because there goes the legacy of the last eight years.  And that's hard enough.

But what's wrenching my gut is how horrible this candidate is, how incredibly unqualified and a horrible person besides.  It's disgusting and terrifying and I really feel like this country has gone over a cliff.  It's like waking up in a world where the laws of gravity no longer apply.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

I disagree.  Attitudes changed over time?  Nope. Even after the Civil War we had Jim Crow for decades.  To this day the justice system is skewed against black people.  13% of the population but 50% of the poluation in prison. War on Drugs was a war on blacks.  Oh and lets not forget The Voting Rights Act was recently overturned. 

Racist attitudes havent changed...just the way they manifest itself.

Barack Obama was our president for 8 years.   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

He is so unstable and so unqualified that I'm really scared about what happens with someone SO unfit for office in this job.

I also sort of wonder if he turns on a dime now and just drops a lot of the stuff he was saying on the campaign trail. Was it all for show?

• Love 7