Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

2 minutes ago, Padma said:

I'm not convinced about voter fraud either--although I would like to be reassured this was on the up and up. It is very weird to me that ALL polls showed a solid win for Hillary--including the RNC's own internal poll and Trump's own as well. They showed him losing key states by -2 -- and no such thing as winning Wisconsin and Pennsylvania--ridiculous!!! 

I was just discussing this with my husband.  

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

The thing is, I don't know if they really know what it means for them either. I do not entirely know what this man believes in. And I have been paying attention. I do not know how he plans to enact his policies, whatever they are. And I don't think a lot of people do either. Too many people this election cycle voted on "feelings." 

We know some of his real feelings from books written about him from before the election. 

Let's just say he doesn't strongly believe in the religious stuff (note: his current advisors all Do though),  but strongly believes in gaming the system in every way.  Hes massively impatient,  hates to be told about details,  yells by default at people even if the fault was his,  is chinsy with gifts,  tips and bonuses,  doesn't pay vendors  at all,  or negotiates bigger discounts after the fact,  is casually racist--often not overtly mean but belittling.   He hates political correctness.  He likes to teach people lessons to cow them and make them tow the line. 

Oh wait.  Still not policies! 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 14
22 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Please don't.  Because being part of any demographic, no matter how you slice and dice it, does not equate you with being all the worst aspects that some in that same group possess.  There are many people, appointed representatives, who put everyone of a "select" demographic in the same rotten basket.  That horrible Paul LePage comes to mind.  Don't do it to yourself and don't do it to others.  Said with all sincerity.

Totally agree!  Be ashamed of those individuals who have done wrong and ill but remember no matter WHICH demographic one is part of that there are ALSO good and virtuous folks within and it's THOSE individuals we should aspire to emulate no matter what others may say about any groups. Be proud to be human!

• Love 5

I'm so upset I honestly don't know what to do with myself. How is it possible that America has voted this misogynistic, racist, asshole who doesn't believe that global warming is real into the presidency? I wish nothing but bad things on everyone who voted for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein (including the 2 candidates who didn't drop out knowing that they would take away votes) just to express their displeasure at their presidential choices. I hope you're happy now. We're about to become the laughing stock of the world, say goodbye to health insurance for everyone, say goodbye to clean air, say goodbye to a livable minimum wage, say goodbye to abortion rights. I can't even hope he dies in office, because then Mike Pence is the President. We're screwed.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, FuriousStyles said:

LMAO....and your point in bringing this up is to say what exactly?

Clearly Obama being elected did NOTHING to strengthen race relations in this country.  Black people came out in droves to get him elected in 2008.  He received over 95% of the black vote....and similar numbers in 2012. Yes of course many whites voted for him too but it was the black and young vote that carried him.

My response was to a previous post.  My point was when this nation was founded (topic in that post) black people could not vote let alone run for president.  Race relations have changed, clearly. 

1 hour ago, HumblePi said:

I'm sorry to resort to name calling about your boss but she's a twat. Women like her live in a one-dimensional universe and it's all about them. Women like her don't understand that 'locker room' talk happens but that talk is just not acceptable for a President of the United States whether it's in a bus or in a boardroom. It's a character flaw and a deep one. It illustrates a man that is without respect for women and he he can't respect women then he can't respect minorities, other religious, or people in the LGBT community. Basically, he doesn't respect anyone. So whether or not she was able to pay attention to this election she will certainly speak up and complain when things happen that actually affect her shallow little life.

Speaking for myself only, I'm going from shock and dismay, to depression and tears and eventually I'll reach apathy when I just really don't give a shit about this country or what happens to it.  That's the dangerous point that a lot of Americans are going to be reaching very soon.

Back in the day, I knew some local bands and often hung out with them backstage, and I rarely ever heard them speak in the disgusting way Trump spoke about when it comes to women.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Padma said:

I agree with all of that except for the "not overtly mean" part.  We've seen his meanness many times on stage. Also, Barbara Res, the woman in charge of building Trump Tower, wrote in her memoir that "He can be charming, but he is not nice." And Tony Schwartz agreed with her that he is manipulative, but without empathy or conscience. In his words, "a sociopath".

But even worse than Trump are all the horrible people he pals up with. There is not one of them I look at and think, "Oh, that's a smart, honest person who really cares about people."  Not one. They are all liars, phonies and sycophants blinded by greed and/or ambition.

The only thing that makes me laugh is that (1) no way in Hell does Donald Trump want to live in a dingy 200 year old mansion in "the swamp" and (2) no more carefree days weighing his press clippings as he gazes over Central Park, cheats a few people, then heads up to his Louis-XIV-inspired 20,000 foot residence, ready to fly to Mar-a-lago tomorrow for a round of golf. Hahaha. The press pool is with you all the time, sucker, including no more gold-platted PRIVATE flights on your 757. Sure, you'll leave all the real work to others, but now you're trapped in Washington. HAHAHA.

Oh, and guess what else? Now you HAVE to show your taxes.  And have an official medical record!!!! You will not enjoy your "golden years" now, you jerk. Hahahaha.

BBM (Bold By Me)

YES! HAHAHAHAH

Maybe we'll see our first lady-elect posing half naked yet gain. DIGNITY!

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Padma said:

Oh, and guess what else? Now you HAVE to show your taxes.  And have an official medical record!!!! You will not enjoy your "golden years" now, you jerk. Hahahaha.

Is this true?  Are you sure that Trump won't weasel out it, because he sure has done it already.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

I mean, that confirms that a large part of the problem was Clinton herself. She didn't reach voters, couldn't inspire them to come out in large enough numbers. Lost too many to third party candidates. The DNC really should be kicking themselves now, they screwed this whole thing up so badly.

Not to put to fine a point on it: she's a woman.  That's why a sizeable group didn't vote for her.

39 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

gayness can be cured, you know, by smoking

&

33 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

Or by praying on it like Mike Pence does, or by conversion therapy, then there's always the good old fashioned hiding in the closet again.

Worked for Mr. Michelle Bachman.

• Love 3

My child was scared to go to school today because the trump supporters in her class (5th grade) have been relentless for weeks.  After she was done crying we tried to give her the tools to deal and not tolerate any bullying comments.

I am so sorry for her. I can only hope there are still school administrators and teachers out there who will promote tolerance and respect and compassion and responsibility and all of the things we've evidently failed to instill in our children.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

McCain couldn't win Pennsylvania.

Romney couldn't win Pennsylvania.

TRUMP won Pennsylvania. 

I'm looking at a map of PA counties from the 2012 election and comparing it to this election. IMO, despite the rhetoric, HRC didn't "lose" PA. Trump clearly did win it. In the traditional Democratic bastions of Allegheny and Philadelphia Counties (where Pittsburgh and Philly are), she received more votes than Obama did in 2012. She outperformed what Obama did in several other counties, too, and was fairly close to his totals in the more rural areas.

The big difference was that there were WAY more votes cast for Trump than for Romney. He brought out voters who didn't vote before.

For example, in 2012 Northampton County results were:

Obama....  65, 014....  51.6%

Romney....  59,242....  47.1%

Others....  1,627.... 1.3%

In this election, Northampton County results were:

Trump....  71, 384....  50.0%

Clinton.... 65,936....  46.2%

Johnson....  3,647.... 2.6%

Stein....  1,363...  1.0%

You can see that Clinton did comparable to Obama, actually getting a few more votes than he did in 2012. But you can also see that there were more than 16,000 more votes cast in that county this year than in 2012, and the vast majority of them went to Trump.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, InsertWordHere said:

CNN just said Trump got fewer votes than both McCain and Romney. That's somewhat positive right? Grasping at straws here.

He's still president-elect, so no, there are no straws to grasp.

50 minutes ago, Syd said:

I just dropped by to gloat, as promised. #GaysForTrump #WeDidIt !!!!!

Sweetie, when the Trumpstapo comes a' knockin', you'll be at the head of the line.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

Sorry I don't have the link (this was sent to me via email), and I don't know if this is kosher, but I have to say Michael Moore (who I was honestly tired of hearing from) had a solid piece today that I wanted to share. 

Morning After To-Do List:

1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably. 

2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn't let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must "heal the divide" and "come together." They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off. 

3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn't wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that's about to begin. "

4. Everyone must stop saying they are "stunned" and "shocked". What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren't paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all "You're fired!" Trump's victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that. 

5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: "HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!" The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don't. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he's president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we'll continue to have presidents we didn't elect and didn't want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there's climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don't want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the "liberal" position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above).

Let's try to get this all done by noon today. 
-- Michael Moore

Very good letter. I only disagree with him (as usual) about #4. Yes, okay, economic despair. But let's not forget that overall the Trump voter was financially BETTER off than the average American. And let's not ignore (as Moore does in his email) the RACISM, RELIGIOUS & ETHNIC BIGOTRY, and OUTRIGHT SEXISM that was at the heart of Trump's support--from his birtherism onward to his actual hate-filled campaign.

And I -definitely- agree with #5. I've been doing it all day. No, it doesn't change anything, but at least "America" needs to know that a MAJORITY of voters chose Hillary, not Trump. Somehow that is very important to me. (And we all know what he would have done if the situation had been reversed....)

• Love 19

Some moron in the comments of a Washington Post story said the same thing -- that the media took Trump literally, but not seriously, while his supporters took him seriously, but not literally. No, I felt like writing, the Trumpistas believe he will build an actual wall that Mexico will pay for. They believe he will deport all the illegal aliens. They believe he will bring back manufacturing jobs, when his own products are made in China and elsewhere.

I know I'm trying to play sensible, optimistic ray of sunshine but I have to take another break. I'm doing that a lot today. Jumping between hope and misery. I've lived this. I have seen my parents go from thinking Trump was a racist idiot and a joke to convincing themselves to like him after listening to Fox News day and night. After this election result, I believe Trump supporters will also gradually convince themselves that they always thought he was speaking metaphorically about border control just as they've swallowed all of his other blatant, contradicted by hard evidence lies. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, galax-arena said:

This old joke comes to mind...

2016: There's no way that Trump's gonna be President.

2017: President Trump can't do that, can he?

2018: This is your emergency broadcast system announcing the commencement of the annual Purge. All crime, including murder,will be legal for 12 hours. All emergency services will be suspended. Your government thanks you for your participation.

May I add:

2019: We welcome you to the 1st annual Hunger Games.

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

He's still president-elect, so no, there are no straws to grasp.

I am aware of that. I meant in terms of respect for my fellow countrymen. There are people who voted for McCain and Romney but refused to vote for Trump (or just didn't vote at all or possibly couldn't vote because they're dead). I can live with the Republicans who were anti-Trump no matter what. I honestly wish Mitt had run again. I could have stomached him. 

• Love 8

I was trying to think of some way to show solidarity today that wouldn't be cultural appropriation (like wearing a hijab would be) if anyone has any ideas let me know. I'm in a red state.

I don't know how much you have to fear for your personal safety or how large a statement you want to make. But... graphic tee? Perhaps a homemade one? First suggestion I thought of... "LOVE WINS."

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, simplyme said:

You can see that Clinton did comparable to Obama, actually getting a few more votes than he did in 2012. But you can also see that there were more than 16,000 more votes cast in that county this year than in 2012, and the vast majority of them went to Trump.

So someone needs to do some investigation and find out if that county really has 142,000 registered voters.  Seriously, Clinton gets virtually the same number of votes that Obama got and Trump mysteriously gets 12,000 more than Romney?  Plus another 3,600 to Johnson?  Is that really possible?  Someone needs to find out.

• Love 4

I think he'll tire of the job quickly.  He won't do it, just delegate it.  Too bad Kasich didn't take him up on that offer.  I don't agree with Kasich, but he's not as bad as Pence.  Kasich as governor here hasn't changed much for me, honestly.  And we know Kasich has a backbone, unlike most of the GOP.  Here I thought Kasich would be in the catbird seat when the Orange one went away.

God, I keep remembering months ago when I was dating this guy and I remember watching the first big debate with all the Republican candidates and then going to talk to him about it and how Kasich seemed like the only sensible one and I was sure he wasn't going to make it as the pick but I hoped we'd get through with someone who wasn't saying crazy, hateful things.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

So someone needs to do some investigation and find out if that county really has 142,000 registered voters.  Seriously, Clinton gets virtually the same number of votes that Obama got and Trump mysteriously gets 12,000 more than Romney?  Plus another 3,600 to Johnson?  Is that really possible?  Someone needs to find out.

I don't like conspiracy theories or accusations of shenanigans, but I couldn't help but get an unpleasant feeling when Trump was being so adamant about voter fraud that everyone was coming out and saying that there was no chance of it happening. 

And then Edward Snowden came out and said that it's perfectly possible to hack electronic voting machines and changing the totals. Every time Hillary got close to Trump in those swing states, he suddenly added another big chunk of votes to his total.

If this was a movie, then the fix was definitely in. But in real life? I don't know, it just feels desperate to even suspect it.

• Love 5

I went to the movies today (Hacksaw Ridge--great) and tried to be extra kind to any POC.   I really wanted to blurt out , "I'm sorry, so sorry."  Then I started worrying that they might thinking I'm smiling at them because I'm happy about the results.  Grrr.   

Most people I have to work with are either non-Trump or just apathetic.  I'll be back at work tomorrow and hopefully no cretins come out of the woodwork.   "Popular Vote" has just become the phrase I'm most likely to use, and will definitely bring up any time Trump's mentioned.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, random chance said:

One of the things I'm seeing elsewhere online today is a lot of blame for those of us who didn't convince our Trump-loving family and friends to vote for Hillary. Are you freaking kidding me? All this year I couldn't even get out a "hey how are you" before they launched into their Hillary screed. They got all their talking points from Fox News and Trump's surrogates, I couldn't even get anywhere countering their "facts" with actual facts. They didn't give a flying goddamn about the facts. Trump could lie to their face and they'd know he did and they'd still manage to spin it so that he was really telling them the truth - how the holy hell would I have a chance at persuading them to vote for Hillary? Our conversations went like this:

"Hillary eats babies to stay young."

"Fact, which you can Google so you don't have to take my word for it -- Hillary has never eaten a single baby."

"Many people have seen her do it! Have you seen Chelsea's babies lately? No, because she's eaten them! Also, she murdered Scalia and faked the moon landing, and she wants to turn us all gay and take away our guns. Trump will make America bigly again by bringing back sock hops and banning lady pants suits! Yeeeehaw!"

I mean that was the level of conversation for God's sake, where in there am I going to be convincing them to vote for her? It's like blaming me because I couldn't persuade a house fly not to eat crap.

This was my experience too with my relatives. They were so determined to hate Hillary and support Trump that there was no reasoning with them on anything. 

7 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

May the odds be bigly in your favor.

May the odds be yugely in your favor. *gag*

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5

80% is still great - higher than the percentage of Asians who voted for her (grr) - but the 14% difference gave me pause.

In my experience (the plural of anecdote is not data), 1) Asian American immigrants find a lot of the rags to riches/hard work ideology Republicans espouse appealing 2) a high number of Asian Americans are religious 3) Asians can be hella racist.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

This was my experience too with my relatives. They were so determined to hate Hillary and support Trump that there was no reasoning with them on anything. 

May the odds be yugely in your favor. *gag*

It doesn't matter if the odds are bigly or yugely in your favor cause they're rigged either way.

22 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

It probably is possible and points to a reason that the polls were wrong.  They focused just on likely voters, not possible voters.  I doubt any poll tried to reach unregistered voters to ask them, "Did you vote in 2012?  Are to planning to this year?"  So  people the pollsters reached did pretty much vote as expected, but nobody asked these others.  That's my theory anyway.   Trump angered and scared them enough to vote.

• Love 8

I can't even hope he dies in office, because then Mike Pence is the President. We're screwed.

What if Kasich is our designated survivor? Sorry, my jokes are shit right now. I've spent my first waking hours texting two of my best friends (a Native woman who has already been going through economic/job and health issues and a gay man who has a trans sister living in a Southern state). And once again I have a fucking headache. 

I can't do four years of this. But it won't always be as bad as it is in this moment. We will win small victories and we will win the war. We will endure. I know fear and hopelessness and helplessness is so tempting right now. But you can't just lay down and give up. Then the outcome is assured. Wouldn't you at least like the chance of winning? And now I'm going to get out of bed and face the pundits (on TV and on the couch) in the other room. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

To be honest, I live in a rural part of NY.  It's completely possible. In 2008, Obama won my county. In 2012, he lost it to Romney by a large margin. This year, Trump had 4,000 more votes than Romney, which is significant in a small county with a declining and aging population.

Most people I know voted Trump.  The Simply family all voted HRC, though my father considered voting Trump for a while and then considered third party. Traditionally, none of us are straight ticket voters anyways. Hell, I haven't belonged to a party in years and think they're ruining the US.

Now I have to figure out how to stop my mother from bitchslapping any of the neighbors. :P

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

God, I keep remembering months ago when I was dating this guy and I remember watching the first big debate with all the Republican candidates and then going to talk to him about it and how Kasich seemed like the only sensible one and I was sure he wasn't going to make it as the pick but I hoped we'd get through with someone who wasn't saying crazy, hateful things.

Unfortunately, Governor Kasich struggled to be heard above the din.  Imagine.  Someone who was desperately trying to discuss policy without wallowing in the muck of insults, barbs about penis size, and slanders about other candidates' family members and spouses.  But, he couldn't get any play.  The mainstream media did a masterful job of turning this political campaign season into a reality TV show.

Kasich was the one candidate that Team Hillary was worried about, but as someone once said, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.  At least he stuck with his principles and refused to campaign for or support Drumpf in any way when so many others in his party (who know better) capitulated to save their own sorry hides.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

My response was to a previous post.  My point was when this nation was founded (topic in that post) black people could not vote let alone run for president.  Race relations have changed, clearly. 

And my point was that all of that happened before Obama was elected. Since his election race relations havent changed.  One could argue they've gotten worse.  Obama getting elected was a huge moment for this country.  No doubt. But so far thats all it was, a moment.....not a movement.  And short of a miracle, everything he's done for race relations and just people in general will be undone if the GOP have anything to say about it.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

One of the things I'm seeing elsewhere online today is a lot of blame for those of us who didn't convince our Trump-loving family and friends to vote for Hillary. Are you freaking kidding me? All this year I couldn't even get out a "hey how are you" before they launched into their Hillary screed. They got all their talking points from Fox News and Trump's surrogates, I couldn't even get anywhere countering their "facts" with actual facts. They didn't give a flying goddamn about the facts. Trump could lie to their face and they'd know he did and they'd still manage to spin it so that he was really telling them the truth - how the holy hell would I have a chance at persuading them to vote for Hillary? Our conversations went like this:

"Fact, which you can Google so you don't have to take my word for it -- Hillary has never eaten a single baby."

"Many people have seen her do it! Have you seen Chelsea's babies lately? No, because she's eaten them! Also, she murdered Scalia and faked the moon landing, and she wants to turn us all gay and take away our guns. Trump will make America bigly again by bringing back sock hops and banning lady pants suits! Yeeeehaw!"

I mean that was the level of conversation for God's sake, where in there am I going to be convincing them to vote for her? It's like blaming me because I couldn't persuade a house fly not to eat crap.

Oh Jesus. I needed that. It's funny because it's true. And it's horrible because it's true. But it gave me a laugh I really needed right now.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

May the odds be bigly in your favor.

This was actually one of the funnier moments on CNN one night when they were debating whether Trump was saying bigly...or big league. My vote is for bigly because I mean, of course he'd say bigly.

I hope making America great again starts with education and using words that actually exist. 

• Love 7

The happy reactions from some, not only because their candidate won or even because of Hillary hate, but because millions of their fellow citizens are distraught, is really disheartening. I am seeing this reaction from Libertarians and some Bernie or Busters as well, not just Trump supporters. When Obama won both of his elections, I didn't gloat. I wasn't happy that almost half of the country was upset, although I will say it's interesting that the upset against Obama seemed to mostly manifest as anger, where the upset this time seems to have caused despair. I tried to make peace with them because I realized it's tacky to be a sore winner.

• Love 20
28 minutes ago, random chance said:

One of the things I'm seeing elsewhere online today is a lot of blame for those of us who didn't convince our Trump-loving family and friends to vote for Hillary. Are you freaking kidding me? All this year I couldn't even get out a "hey how are you" before they launched into their Hillary screed. They got all their talking points from Fox News and Trump's surrogates, I couldn't even get anywhere countering their "facts" with actual facts. They didn't give a flying goddamn about the facts. Trump could lie to their face and they'd know he did and they'd still manage to spin it so that he was really telling them the truth - how the holy hell would I have a chance at persuading them to vote for Hillary? Our conversations went like this:

"Many people have seen her do it! Have you seen Chelsea's babies lately? No, because she's eaten them! Also, she murdered Scalia and faked the moon landing, and she wants to turn us all gay and take away our guns. Trump will make America bigly again by bringing back sock hops and ban lady pants suits! Yeeeehaw!"

Oh my God...thank you so much for this...I really needed the laugh.

Look for those of you who voted for Hilary, this is not the time to lay down and die.  This is the time to rise up and fight (not literal violence).  The Democrats have got to take responsibility where things went wrong.  If our foremothers and forefathers just said, "well slavery and misogyny is just the way it is and curled up in a ball and hid, think about where we would be?  Women and minorities would not have the vote and every inch of respect earned has and will always be a fight.

When I hear of Trump supporters harassing voters, I am like where are the Dems protecting their constituents?  Don't just say get out and vote, help organize buses and other things so the disenfranchised can be heard.

I live in a red state and do you know why, because liberal strongholds are much too expensive for regular people.  I just read a story about a 66 year old woman, who earned a six figure salary in San Francisco now being homeless, because she can no longer afford rent in the city.  She is a single woman and has proudly supported herself her whole life and is being thrown into the streets by this supposedly liberal and progressive town.

Get all the rage and sorrow out of your system the next few days.  After that this is not the time to be emotional, it is the time to be strategic and smart.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I don't know how much you have to fear for your personal safety or how large a statement you want to make. But... graphic tee? Perhaps a homemade one? First suggestion I thought of... "LOVE WINS."

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Seriously, Clinton gets virtually the same number of votes that Obama got and Trump mysteriously gets 12,000 more than Romney?  Plus another 3,600 to Johnson?  Is that really possible?  Someone needs to find out.

38 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't like conspiracy theories or accusations of shenanigans, but I couldn't help but get an unpleasant feeling when Trump was being so adamant about voter fraud that everyone was coming out and saying that there was no chance of it happening.

It certainly would have been the perfect crime. Figure out a way to do it, accuse the Dems of it thus forcing them to explain how it couldn't possibly happen, and then do it. And of course now they can't admit they suspect you - they're on record saying it can't happen.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, random chance said:

It certainly would have been the perfect crime. Figure out a way to do it, accuse the Dems of it thus forcing them to explain how it couldn't possibly happen, and then do it. And of course now they can't admit they suspect you - they're on record saying it can't happen.

This is why Trump said the system was rigged, unless he won.  We can't argue it was rigged because any future election will be in doubt.

24 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

Obama getting elected was a huge moment for this country.  No doubt. But so far thats all it was, a moment.....not a movement.

Just like the 15th Amendment was a "moment", but it took another 100 years for black people to get the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act (which is now gone).  It may take another 100 years to move again forward.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

The happy reactions from some, not only because their candidate won or even because of Hillary hate, but because millions of their fellow citizens are distraught, is really disheartening. I am seeing this reaction from Libertarians and some Bernie or Busters as well, not just Trump supporters. When Obama won both of his elections, I didn't gloat. I wasn't happy that almost half of the country was upset, although I will say it's interesting that the upset against Obama seemed to mostly manifest as anger, where the upset this time seems to have caused despair. I tried to make peace with them because I realized it's tacky to be a sore winner.

Right.  Contrast that with the butt hurt rage that manifested itself before Hillary was even in danger of being elected.  I won't forget the assassination threats by Drumpf's more rabid supporters or the threats of sedition by GOP lawmakers who were hellbent on derailing her would-be presidency. 

• Love 15

I really don't believe there was any (or much) fraud or rigging, outside of the constant attention and legitimacy given Trump by the media. I think there was a gross underestimation of the level of unrest and bigotry that Trump was able to tap into.  I don't think Bernie could have won either. I don't know who could have.  At this point, after watching what happened last night, I'm not even sure that Obama (were he allowed to run a third time) could have beat him.

• Love 10