Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

13 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I have a personal question I'm wondering if someone can maybe answer. I'm a Type 1 diabetic who's covered now under the medicaid expansion in my blue state of Washington (which I'm very grateful to live in, now more than ever). That was part of the ACA. What happens if they dump Obamacare? Can individual states (the blue ones I suppose) still do things to keep people covered?

You may stay eligible for medicaid anyways.  For sure for this upcoming year I'd say.

12 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

thanks for doing that. I tried to google homes in Cape Breton and kept getting a 'connection was reset' notice. I tried other websites for Canadian properties and the same thing. Then I went to other various websites not at all related to Canada or homes and they all pulled up fine, it was only the Canadian property links when blank when I clicked on one. Oh, and they look expensive but keep in mind the Canadian dollar is only worth 74% of the US dollar, that's why people are planning to relocate there.

There was a site that was hinky but I got to these two:

http://www.capebreton-properties.com/0-for-sale-at-cape-breton.htm

http://www.century21global.com/for-sale-residential/Canada/Ontario?subtype=1&sort=sizepersqmDesc&pageNo=2

• Love 1

I wanted to reach into my teevee and snatch Andrea Mitchell bald. Her question to Panetta about how could Hillary talk to Orangutan and "accept him" as President after she said we couldn't trust him with nuclear codes, in a sneering tone. I've always been indifferent to her, but now I see what everyone is talking about. Loved Panetta's response. And the only reason I'm watching on MSNBC is because CNN's camera looked like it was worked by someone who was sobbing, it was so shakey. And it was making me dizzy. I did love what that Princeton professor said earlier about Orangutan, and the guy that Tamron was talking to, referring to how he "slimed his way" to the Presidency.

• Love 13

My poor father sounded heartbroken on the phone last night.  My mother passed away a month ago from cancer and thoroughly loathed the orange creamsicle zombie.  The last card I gave her was from a Wisconsin based artist who dresses up her cat with the cat dressed as You Know Who, which she loved.  She thought that the cat would make a better president than the actual person.  He said that it would have devastated her knowing that he had been elected.  He switched from Kasich in the April primary to HRC after Trump got the nomination because he was able to overcome his personal dislike of her to recognize that she was the more capable candidate and better for the country. 

He's worried about another recession happening.  I'm not sure he can handle a third recession in less than 20 years, especially after he lost his job in 2009.  He knows that the unemployment safety net isn't as strong as it was then thanks to the nihilistic Tea Party.  

My sister is angrier.  She couldn't believe that people could be so stupid to vote for him.  Her reaction was very succinct when Ohio went red "F*** Ohio", which is her general feelings towards the state and its sports teams.  She asked me how people in Wisconsin could have voted for him and my response was the same people voted for Scott Walker three times (2 elections and a recall).  Both of us are still in a state of shock about last night. 

• Love 13

I'm glad this thread is still helping people through this.  But I'm having a real hard time.

I decided to go to work today, regardless of how numb and angry I felt, and for my maturity, I was rewarded by a bunch of my coworkers gloating over Trump winning.  Saying how it showed that everyone was tired of the "elitist celebrities" telling them who to vote for.  Even worse was how my boss -- who is a woman like me and was pretty much indifferent to both candidates -- acted like it wasn't such a big deal.  Even worse was that she didn't think the "locker room talk" was so bad, that's she's heard worse from other people.  I said nothing.  I kept my mouth shut, because as a rule, I don't talk politics at work.  But I was seething so much on the inside that I stuffed pieces of kleenix in my ears so that I wouldn't have to listen.  It did not work.

Like I said before, a lot can happen between now and January.  I'm still not entirely convinced that there wasn't any voter fraud, especially when I heard about machines acting up in some places, and there were groups of Trump supporters that still picketed polling areas to harass and intimidate certain voters.  And maybe one of these days, those tax returns will show up to bite him in the ass.  But the latter would still mean we'd be left with Pence.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Like I said before, a lot can happen between now and January.  I'm still not entirely convinced that there wasn't any voter fraud, especially when I heard about machines acting up in some places, and there were groups of Drumpf supporters that still picketed polling areas to harass and intimidate certain voters.  And maybe one of these days, those tax returns will show up to bite him in the ass.  But the latter would still mean we'd be left with Pence.

He might still get nailed to the wall with that fake university, but I doubt it. No judge would have the balls to take action against a president elect. And the Democrats probably don't have the political capital to ever try to impeach him.

He's probably more in danger from the GOP, if he doesn't just do whatever he's told. They'd be better served with the hideous Pence in office.

• Love 2

I'm in the UK so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes and apologise if I get anything wrong. 

I stayed up all night (didn't go to sleep until 10am UK time) and I watched the BBC coverage. First of all I have a question, which is that Trump did his acceptance speech before every media outlet accepted that the 'projected' result would be his win. I'm pretty sure he started it before even Fox news confirmed it. Is that the usual thing? Do you guys just go on projected votes? What would happen if at the last minute in the last few wards of the state the voting switched it (because let's face it, most of the states were pretty close)? Sorry, it's just in the UK, no constituency is actually declared or even 'projected' and treated as though they have been declared (which is the vibe that I got) until every single vote is counted. As a side note you guys are really quick at counting votes.

And second I just wanted to comment on the way the international media and politicians treat Trump. We've had politicians in the UK go against what they've previously said about Trump and I think that it's really disappointing that they've done that. I don't think that it sets a good precedent for the state of global affairs, essentially politicians (like Theresa May and Boris, as well as Hollande) who have a lot of power bowing down to awful pressure to have a 'good relationship' with a man who doesn't even care about the people of his country, let alone the people of other countries. I don't know if I've recieved a biased report of his campaign (though I've been getting all of my information from the BBC and they fact check everything) but the general mood in the UK has been weird. Particularly with Brexit just happening (and with the fact that it might not happen because of the court decision) and the international outrage from American at that result, everyone is a bit surprised that Trump was even a contender. 

I hope you're all doing okay. I remember back in June I cried a lot, and I've cried today too. I think the thing that's most getting at me is the fact that my entire family has depended on the NHS a lot (from everything to my braces, to physical conditions and also mental health), so the idea that not only does America not have something like that in place, but that people are actively trying to get rid of Obamacare which alleviates a significant amount of cost (and stress and everything else that comes with being sick) astounds me. I'm quite worried for the people, particularly with chronic conditions, that aren't going to have that safety net any more. 

• Love 18

I woke up not feeling great. President Trump. This is so different from any bad decision the American made in the past. This was a decision made in 2016 and with full knowledge of the ways he is unqualified and the ways he is awful and this still happened. As of now, I still have not lived to see the election of the first female president of the United States. I will slowly recharge over the day and I am about to go read all the comments posted while I slept but right now I physically feel like I woke up hungover and I don't drink.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I woke up not feeling great. President Trump. This is so different from any bad decision the American made in the past. This was a decision made in 2016 and with full knowledge of the ways he is unqualified and the ways he is awful and this still happened. As of now, I still have not lived to see the election of the first female president of the United States. I will slowly recharge over the day and I am about to go read all the comments posted while I slept but right now I physically feel like I woke up hungover and I don't drink.

While we've elected bad presidents before, but until the 1940s, none of them had the power to destroy the world. I'm not sure Conman Don, with his thin skin and grudge-holding, will be able to resist nuking someone.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 7
Just now, FuriousStyles said:

The election of Donald Drumpf means we're moving backwards.  When the KKK can crawl out from under the rocks they live under and celebrate THEIR candidate being elected, we have a HUGE problem.  

Apathy is a terrible thing. It seems like a lot of people who show interest in online protest movements and even physical protest movements, simply can't be bothered to go and vote when they have the power to make a genuine difference.

It's an issue of disengagement with democracy, and it's happening across the western world. It lets people like Trump into power, and once they're there, they're very difficult to get rid of. 

The only thing I find solace in right now is, the baby boomers can't last forever. In a few more years, even apathy amongst millenials and minorities might not matter as much.

• Love 7

My stomach has been a pile of nerves since last night. Feel asleep at 5am, woke up at 8am and have been up on and off since then. I've never felt such a sense of despair. Their is only a tiny sliver of hope in that, prior to 2008,Trump was considered a lifelong Democrat or at least a moderate. I am really hoping he used the conservatives to get the vote, and will turn out to be more moderate then we expect. Its not that big of a hope, because I believe Trump is mentally ill. Even if he is  impeached, Pence and Ryan are so, so much worse. This is terrible.  I don't know what to say.

I'm a white woman, and I am currently embarrassed by and disappointed in other white women. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by AgentRXS
I'm so out of it , I had to edit like 5 times. Sheesh,
  • Love 23
16 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm glad this thread is still helping people through this.  But I'm having a real hard time.

I decided to go to work today, regardless of how numb and angry I felt, and for my maturity, I was rewarded by a bunch of my coworkers gloating over Trump winning.  Saying how it showed that everyone was tired of the "elitist celebrities" telling them who to vote for.  Even worse was how my boss -- who is a woman like me and was pretty much indifferent to both candidates -- acted like it wasn't such a big deal.  Even worse was that she didn't think the "locker room talk" was so bad, that's she's heard worse from other people.  I said nothing.  I kept my mouth shut, because as a rule, I don't talk politics at work.  But I was seething so much on the inside that I stuffed pieces of kleenix in my ears so that I wouldn't have to listen.  It did not work.

Like I said before, a lot can happen between now and January.  I'm still not entirely convinced that there wasn't any voter fraud, especially when I heard about machines acting up in some places, and there were groups of Trump supporters that still picketed polling areas to harass and intimidate certain voters.  And maybe one of these days, those tax returns will show up to bite him in the ass.  But the latter would still mean we'd be left with Pence.

I'm sorry to resort to name calling about your boss but she's a twat. Women like her live in a one-dimensional universe and it's all about them. Women like her don't understand that 'locker room' talk happens but that talk is just not acceptable for a President of the United States whether it's in a bus or in a boardroom. It's a character flaw and a deep one. It illustrates a man that is without respect for women and he he can't respect women then he can't respect minorities, other religious, or people in the LGBT community. Basically, he doesn't respect anyone. So whether or not she was able to pay attention to this election she will certainly speak up and complain when things happen that actually affect her shallow little life.

Speaking for myself only, I'm going from shock and dismay, to depression and tears and eventually I'll reach apathy when I just really don't give a shit about this country or what happens to it.  That's the dangerous point that a lot of Americans are going to be reaching very soon.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 21
9 hours ago, NextIteration said:

I'm reaching for gallows humor now but seriously - Melania is going to be FLOTUS.

After I left the thread last night, I curled up with my blankie and as many dogs and cats as I could fit on the couch and watched the acceptance speech.  I started giggling a little bit at newly coronated FLOTUS Melania, then he started the appreciation list (-slash-cabinet roster) . . . Ben Carson?!?  Nosferatu Guiliani??  Chris Fucking Christie?  When the camera landed on OMAROSA, I was howling.

Something in my brain asked, "Why are you laughing at this?"  And then I realized I was having an hysterical breakdown.  True story.

5 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

[...]

but, like Anne Frank, I want to believe in the ultimate good in people.

And that exact belief is how I knew people in this country wouldn't really elect him.

5 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

Someone in this thread quoted Curio as saying that Obama was a great president because there had been no big scandals while he was president and a few other similar facts.

I would like to say that when a president does almost nothing, there will be almost no scandals as well as almost nothing else. Surely that cannot be a valid criteria for greatness in a president.

My hatred and contempt for Obama breaks through all kinds thresholds. I think he has to be one of the very worst presidents the US has ever experienced. I just shook my head in despair on most every day of his presidency. What a Plucker!  I use the word, "Plucker" as in "MotherPlucker" because it would not be appropriate to call any sitting president a "MotherFucker". But I can't think of any other name to describe this dolt!

I loved the fact that he was so verbally abusive towards Trump at that White House state dinner. But now, he will have to swallow his pride as he hands over the keys to the Oval Office to Trump. What a revolting development!

Fuck you Obama. Could you not have thought of anything more destructive to do other than to become President of the USA? I think History will look back on you as one of the biggest chumps that ever entered politics. I just can't believe that Americans voted you into a second term. So embarassing. So sad. Lord have mercy on the USA. They are gonna need it. In spades!

This is the election sticking in your craw today?

4 hours ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I called into work this morning, I'm not in the mood for people today.

Check.  I feel very grateful to be able to hole up, process, and lick my wounds for awhile.  I called and canceled an appointment I've had for weeks.  I told them it didn't look good for tomorrow either, I'd have to let them know. 

Recommending you not miss Hillary's concession speech.  It's almost surreal for its grace.

Edited by candall
  • Love 14

I am also ashamed to be a white woman.  I'm ashamed to be white, actually.

I live in a very red area of NJ, traditionally white and rural.  The demographics are changing around here, and with that, racially-tinged hatred has been on the rise. Being white and surrounded by whites, everyone assumes I feel the same way, so I hear things.  I hear really awful things.  Sometimes from friends.  Sometimes from family.  My town forum is a hotbed of unapologetic racism; some of the things I read my neighbors spouting take my breath away.  All of this is upsetting and infuriating but it is the reality around here.  And yet, of course, racism does not exist.

I don't know why, really, but I always sort of thought it was just a vocal minority and not indicative of whites in general.  Maybe because of what I watch and read, which gives me hope.

When I heard Trump start to veer in a racially-charged direction, I thought, okay, some will go for it.  But not most of us.  If he was a more qualified candidate, sure, because I'm not naive enough to think those things are non-starters with the average white voter.  If he was more of a likable person, even.  But to be what he is . . .  which has been on display for years . . . no way will most white people go for this.

Then to see those demographics.  I have no words.  I guess I had no business believing the the majority of us are above that.  It's so upsetting.

This is a lot of disappointment for me to process, on a lot of levels.  But I can't descend into despair and self-hatred.  Or really any kind of hatred.  Tonight I'm going to treat myself well.  I'm going to the library after work to get a good book, and I'm going to take a Jacuzzi and sip some wine.  Politically things won't be better or look better but at least I don't have suffer with this personal angst and crushing hopelessness.  That at least is within my control.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Oh FUCK ME, I won't be able to visit the Hall of Presidents for a while. Fuck. We want to take our toddler to Disney World in a couple years. I could not sit through that shit. Thank you for reminding me to avoid that.

We were just there a few months ago, and I am so glad we did Hall of Presidents - because we will not be going back into that attraction until sanity meets up with this country again.

• Love 7

I also sort of wonder if he turns on a dime now and just drops a lot of the stuff he was saying on the campaign trail. Was it all for show?

Oh, I definitely think some of it was, but that's no relief -- he's going to appoint a slew of people for whom those are genuine beliefs and goals.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, I definitely think some of it was, but that's no relief -- he's going to appoint a slew of people for whom those are genuine beliefs and goals.

It'd be fucking hilarious if he actually went ahead and appointed the most moderate Republican govt we've seen in a generation. He won't, but it'd be hilarious if he actually lived up to his words of wanting to govern for all of America.

Ryan, McConnell, Giuliani, Gingrich and co would have a collective fit.

CNN just said Drumpf got fewer votes than both McCain and Romney. That's somewhat positive right? Grasping at straws here.

I mean, that confirms that a large part of the problem was Clinton herself. She didn't reach voters, couldn't inspire them to come out in large enough numbers. Lost too many to third party candidates. The DNC really should be kicking themselves now, they screwed this whole thing up so badly.

But those people who voted 3rd party to punish the DNC, or because they didn't like Clinton? And those who didn't bother to vote at all? They deserve every bit of the apocalyptic shitshow that's about the descend on the USA.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

LMAO....and your point in bringing this up is to say what exactly?

Clearly Obama being elected did NOTHING to strengthen race relations in this country.  Black people came out in droves to get him elected in 2008.  He received over 95% of the black vote....and similar numbers in 2012. Yes of course many whites voted for him too but it was the black and young vote that carried him.  And has there ever been a president so openly disrespected as him?  I think about the Congressman who screamed "You lie" while Obama was giving a speech, I believe it was a State of the Union Address.  I read an article a few years ago that said America is more segregated now as its ever been during the 50s and 60s. 

There is no such thing as a post racial society. America will ALWAYS have a race problem. 60 million people (and some of their offspring) proved that yesterday.

Frankly Im getting really sick and tired of people talking about progress. We've made so much progress?  I suppose if the alternative is waking up in chains and working the fields then YES I'm thrilled at the progress we've made as a country. But when is the time going to come for actual equality?  I remember during one of the recent protests seeing John Lewis stand infront of the cameras calling for peace and protesting one of the many black lives taken this year.  I thought to myself, damnnn this man was doing this 50 years ago! 50! And he's still fighting the same fucking fight. We're having the same conversation over and over and over and over again. Somehow saying Black Lives Matter is offensive to some. Somehow not standing for the National Anthem (which has racist content in it) is more offensive than the reasons people might not be standing.  The election of Donald Trump means we're moving backwards.  When the KKK can crawl out from under the rocks they live under and celebrate THEIR candidate being elected, we have a HUGE problem.  

I am trying to understand your comment "LMAO" because I was responding to a comment that had incorrectly stated that Barack Obama has been President for 4 years.  Little quick to laugh and judge, aren't you?

• Love 3

Is it too much to hope that Trump has been playing the long con this entire time, and he's secretly a liberal who has been posing as a Republican this election, and that's why he's been so vague about his policies? He's an actor and played the role of a crazy conservative to get elected, and now that he's in the office, the GOP majority have to follow his orders, otherwise they'll look like fools. Trump will say a speech about how "conservative" it is to put more money into education and invest in clean energy, and his advisors will be like, "Umm, those are super liberal issues though..." and Trump will be like, "No they're totally conservative, and you're a p***y if you don't agree with me." And then Congress will begrudgingly vote for Trump's liberal ideas because they don't want to lose their jobs or look like they disagree with their Republican president. 

It's a long shot. I remember this random documentary she was featured in about rich kids where she just seemed kind of lost and oblivious. And she hasn't been particularly vocal than any other female businesswoman who says vague pro-women things. And I don't know how much she will or is even interested in opposing her dad. But perhaps Ivanka will get some things through. Maybe she'll take an interest in education or female entrepreneurship or something that doesn't seem overly liberal but will have some benefit counteracting the bad. Basically, perhaps she'll adopt the kind of platform that the First Lady normally champions.

Also, I can't think about Melania and cyberbullying too long. Because if I do that, I remember all the things Trump has been tweeting. And then I go into my "WHY AMERICA!?!" spiral.

• Love 2

Trump has been a Democrat in the past. He has expressed his support for pro-choice, and he truly doesn't seem to have anything against the LGBT community (that I'm aware of). But I don't know whether all of that has just been the expedient choice for him. He's probably not liberal or conservative, he's just Trumpian.

• Love 10

This old joke comes to mind...

2016: There's no way that Trump's gonna be President.

2017: President Trump can't do that, can he?

2018: This is your emergency broadcast system announcing the commencement of the annual Purge. All crime, including murder,will be legal for 12 hours. All emergency services will be suspended. Your government thanks you for your participation.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, doesntworkonwood said:

I'm in the UK so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes and apologise if I get anything wrong. 

I stayed up all night (didn't go to sleep until 10am UK time) and I watched the BBC coverage. First of all I have a question, which is that Trump did his acceptance speech before every media outlet accepted that the 'projected' result would be his win. I'm pretty sure he started it before even Fox news confirmed it. Is that the usual thing? Do you guys just go on projected votes? What would happen if at the last minute in the last few wards of the state the voting switched it (because let's face it, most of the states were pretty close)? Sorry, it's just in the UK, no constituency is actually declared or even 'projected' and treated as though they have been declared (which is the vibe that I got) until every single vote is counted. As a side note you guys are really quick at counting votes.

Usually a candidate will wait to make their victory speech until their opponent concedes.

In a typical American election once a candidate has accepted that they have no path to victory they will privately call their opponent, and congratulate them on their victory. The victor usually then holds off on making remarks and allows the loser to make a concession speech, then the victor will make a speech. If an opponent refuses to concede and the victor is confident that he has won (usually after several news outlets confirm their projections) then the victor may choose to make a victory speech even though his opponent is still contesting the election. 

In this case Clinton privately called Trump to concede the race and probably told him she has no plans to make an address tonight and would make a speech tomorrow. It's unreasonable to ask him to hold off that long to address his constituency and he made the speech immediately following the phone call. If Clinton had wished to make a concession speech soon after conceding on election night it's likely the Trump camp would've allowed her that luxury.

It doesn't really matter what the media says. A candidate will usually not concede until it is impossible for them to win the race, Clinton's camp made that determination, and she accepted that result. Once she accepts the result it's safe for Trump to declare victory.

It should be noted that in no way is a concession legally binding, the vote is counted down to the last ballot regardless of what the candidates say and if Clinton had somehow won against the most optimistic projections of her team, she could and would become President even though she had previously conceded the race, unless Trump challenged the final vote tallies.

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, doesntworkonwood said:

It all came down to the number of electoral votes that each State has, those are based on the population numbers of each state. The more populus a state is the great number of electoral votes they get. So despite winning the popular vote which Hillary Clinton did, she lost the electoral votes and couldn't reach the number of electoral votes needed to elect her as President which is 270. The math didn't add up even before those last few remaining states results hadn't come in yet because those states didn't have enough electoral votes to get her to that 270 number.

• Love 3

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!! Trump's being elected-ugh, just typing the words makes me wanna hurl-is horrible enough, but that he actually won because of angry and apparently stupid White people is nauseating, infuriating and downright disgusting. I'm not even remotely in the mood to make nice where they're concerned. If I didn't have 'yall, I'd be bouncing off the walls right now.  The minority voters who voted for Trump are sellouts IMO. They may feel like the Democrats forgot or ignored them but rest assured the Republicans lead by Trump will treat them like shit, if not worse. Trump was endorsed by the KKK, for fuck's sake-who, to put it mildly, aren't known for tolerance for minorities. 

With the Republicans running all branches of government, not only will Obamacare be history, Roe Vs. Wade, marriage equality and the Voting Rights act are on the line. As for criminal justice reform, with Ghouliani, aka "Mr. Stop-and-Frisk," as AG, it ain't happening. As for the independents who voted for third-party candidates, they're spoilers, plain and simple. Those who want more political parties are going about it all wrong. They should start small by running for school boards, city councils, mayors, state house.senate seats and then eventually Governors and Presidents. Real political parties are built from the bottom up, not the top down.  

I'm sad, but I won't give up because that's exactly what they want. My heart may be broken, but I'm not. 

• Love 15

The minority voters who voted for Trump are sellouts IMO.

I noticed a pretty big discrepancy between the number of black male voters and black female voters for HRC. 80% of black male voters went for Clinton, while 94% of black female voters did. 80% is still great - higher than the percentage of Asians who voted for her (grr) - but the 14% difference gave me pause. I know that Clinton has gotten flak for not caring enough about POC but, like, Trump will inarguably be worse. Was the thought of a female leader that abhorrent?

I got into my first argument with someone (a Korean guy) who said that the people decrying Trump as hateful while calling Trump supporters racist were being hypocritical. And when someone responded to him saying that she was scared of a Trump presidency, he asked why. WTF! Male privilege is a bitch, I tell you. And I suppose he couldn't give a shit that Trump was smearing various POC groups because we Asians didn't get as much of it. Anyway, I just linked him to an article explaining why "you must tolerate my intolerance" is a load of bullshit and then I defriended him. I have respect for people who have the energy to argue with idiots, but I'm not one of them. 

• Love 12

Hearing BAB tell viewers to get on their knees & pray for the new president made me crazy......didn't know if I wanted to scream or barf!  Right-Wing, Obstructionist Republican politicians hated President Obama so much hate & were determined to win this election at any cost; the Constitution & Bill of Rights be damned.....so they appealed to voters using fear against others, calling them "Un-American," "Abberations,"screaming, "Send them back where they came from!" calling people "murderers," "rapists," "illegals," & "terrorists," demanding "Rights for Whites," calling our country  a "Nation of Christians," even attacking others because of different religious affiliations. I believe CNN's Van Jones was correct, when he said yesterday's election results were "White Backlash." against minorities. So today I'm telling Barbie to go ahead & pray for this hateful new president who's made it clear he's ready to take away health insurance from millions of Americans, a woman's right to choose, close mosques, temples or synagogues if he suspects those houses of worship are "security risks," made it acceptable to demean disabled Americans & we can't forget his equally repulsive anti-gay VP who wants gays to receive conversion therapy & intends to criminally punish all females, even twelve-year old girls, for having their periods.  But be aware, Barbie, from the moment the election results became clear, a resistance movement started growing throughout the country, made up Americans of all colors, religions, sexual orientations & ethnic heritages who hate everything "your" republican party now stands for & now we're going to do whatever it takes to make sure that HATE STOPS NOW!  See you around, church, cutie......

• Love 7

I also read that most white women voted for him, what do you guys make of that?

I want really good hard data. I can't deal with headlines right now. I want to know the census data of how many people are in this country broken down by demographics. I want to know how many people voted and did not vote broken down by demographics. And then we can go from there. My not-based-in-fact assumption is that the women who voted for him were white women who enjoy their position in a paternalistic structure or who were at least comfortable enough in their privilege to not be concerned. But I take comfort in knowing many people did not support him. And for those who did, at some point we're going to have to learn that we can't just pursue our own self interest (or what we believe our self interest to be). Education and compassion. I feel like a broken record but I'm a broken record that is still playing and I will keep playing as long as I am able.

Not surprised by the outcome. This country was founded by people that owned people, stole land & denied women the right to vote. This country has always been deplorable. 

No, I disagree with that. America was founded by people who were products of their time. These attitudes changed over time -- we fought a civil war that led to the abolition of slavery; women gained the right to vote. America took a leading role in WWII to defeat fascism and in the post-war era. Trump's election represents a step backward, but, like Anne Frank, I want to believe in the ultimate good in people.

Not to mention there have always, ALWAYS been dissenters. There have always been those who understood the difference between right and wrong. And now there are more of us than there were before. And we are in a more powerful place in society. And we are more vocal. And we must not allow ourselves to be dragged back into silence and suppression. We are better than that. Even if it gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, he will be our president. But that doesn't mean accepting it as the new normal. I will ALWAYS REMEMBER his background, everything he has said and done and hold him accountable. I will be engaged with policy developments. We can't let this be business as usual. We can't just block legislation but we need to be more engaged than ever in babysitting this future president. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

I am also ashamed to be a white woman.  I'm ashamed to be white, actually.

Please don't.  Because being part of any demographic, no matter how you slice and dice it, does not equate you with being all the worst aspects that some in that same group possess.  There are many people, appointed representatives, who put everyone of a "select" demographic in the same rotten basket.  That horrible Paul LePage comes to mind.  Don't do it to yourself and don't do it to others.  Said with all sincerity.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 18
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

As I sit here in a daze, after a night in which I never slept for more than an hour at a time, I've finally realized what today's feeling reminds me of: How I've felt the day after a loved one died.  The surreal feeling where I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact yesterday's event really did happen and this is my new reality now.  The numbness, the mental and physical sluggishness.  The inability to decide what to do with myself, or to concentrate on any task I try to busy myself with.  And the depression.  My god, the depression; right now, I feel like I don't want to ever leave my house again.

I've been disappointed and even disgusted with presidential election results before, but I have never felt anything remotely like this on the day after.  This is something very different.  It's as if I've woken up in an unrecognizable, terrible world in which all my worst fears about people have been realized.

Thank you. Thank you. This is how I'm feeling. I couldn't articulate but this is how I feel as well. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

gayness can be cured, you know, by smoking

Or by praying on it like Mike Pence does, or by conversion therapy, then there's always the good old fashioned hiding in the closet again.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

As I sit here in a daze, after a night in which I never slept for more than an hour at a time, I've finally realized what today's feeling reminds me of: How I've felt the day after a loved one died.  The surreal feeling where I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact yesterday's event really did happen and this is my new reality now.  The numbness, the mental and physical sluggishness.  The inability to decide what to do with myself, or to concentrate on any task I try to busy myself with.  And the depression.  My god, the depression; right now, I feel like I don't want to ever leave my house again.

I've been disappointed and even disgusted with presidential election results before, but I have never felt anything remotely like this on the day after.  This is something very different.  It's as if I've woken up in an unrecognizable, terrible world in which all my worst fears about people have been realized.

Yes, this is exactly where I am too.  And I'm not sure where to go with it.

• Love 3

I want Michelle Obama for 2020. People will be BEGGING to have the Obamas back in the White House, and she will bring the Obama turnout.

Now that personality and cult of personality is literally everything, that's what I'm looking for. Trump is going to degrade the office of the presidency so badly.

There's also Gavin Newsom, if he wins the governor's race in CA in 2018. He's very likable, very cool, very progressive. I think he would reach young people and possibly, as a white man (ugh) some of that white working class vote. We need Obama level minority turnout or to peel off some of that vote, and it looks to me like personality, authenticity and likability, and enthusiasm from that is all that can do it on the Democratic side (and in the right states- Hillary won the popular vote and that will haunt me forever).

And it won't matter a bit that he's only a 2-year governor or if Michelle never holds elected office between now and then. Qualifications will never matter again.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Good luck with that whole gay rights thing, with Pence in effective charge.

Why would anyone need gay rights? What with your tax payer dollars paying for conversion therapy.

Mike Pence is gonna be a freaking train wreck as the most powerful VP in history. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

I can barely find words...as a closeted optimist my whole life, I cannot find one small thing to say "Well, we got that going for us at least".  I've always been able to find a way to look at things, no matter how bleak, and say "It'll somehow work out".  I look at this situation and I can't even feel bad for myself - I worry about the real and immediate concerns that others face by this.  And I hurt for them because of that ugly reality and the known and unknown ways it will manifest.

I'm raw and numb at the same time.  I feel so alone, yet I know by reading here I am not.

I'm worried about myself because of the economy,  health care,  Medicare., social security and...  Not wanting to die in a nuclear war.

I worry about friends,  because many of them may get raped,  beaten by cops or vigilantes,  a few maybe jailed or deported for their mere ethnicity  etc

I see so little light here.  They have the Senate and Congress too.  Only cabinet and Supreme Court is for now blocked (because 2/3 is needed in senate). 

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Please don't.  Because being part of any demographic, no matter how you slice and dice it, does not equate you with being all the worst aspects that some in that same group possess.  There are many people, appointed representatives, who put everyone of a "select" demographic in the same rotten basket.  That horrible Paul LePage comes to mind.  Don't do it to yourself and don't do it to others.  Said with all sincerity.

Thank you for that reminder.  I will try to keep that in mind.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sweets McGee said:

Yep. This is my biggest WTF takeaway from these results.

I strongly disagree. After all, Hillary is a white woman who gave her heart and soul to trying to make this country a better place. She took on that monster on behalf of all of us. I'm proud to be a white woman inspired by her--and in doing so, no part of that "other America" who supported Trump.

And I don't see how Obama, of all people, can say we're all "one team". If there was anything this horrible campaign (and, frankly, the last 8 years) made clear to anyone listening to a Trump speech or his (truly deplorable) followers, there ARE two Americas.

One of them, btw, gave Hillary Clinton the majority of the votes.  Trump, oh so ironically, lost the popular vote and only won because of the "rigged system", the electoral college that he, mysteriously to me, was able to exploit at the end, in spite of every poll showing we should expect a different result.

I will not now indulge pundits who talk about how "Americans chose Trump". No, less than half of us did.  As far as I'm concerned, after his hateful campaign and the cowardice of the GOP in not opposing him, if he wants my support, he'll have to earn it through the quality of his leadership. (no, not holding my breath).

• Love 16

I have a job interview tomorrow, so I'm trying really hard to focus on that and compartmentalize. But wow--this whole election cycle has been pretty devastating. Sometimes I wonder if Trump would have won if Bernie Sanders had obtained the democratic nomination. OTOH, if it's true that Bernie supporters voting 3rd party candidates cost Hillary her victory, that would be pretty sad too. I also know some republicans who voted third party becasue they didn't want to vote for either Trump or Clinton. I donno... The FBI letter about reopening the investigation dealt a pretty hard blow to Clinton in the days leading up to the election I think (which is pretty stupid as nothing came of it). As a non-citizen living in the US, I can only wring my hands in sorrow at this point. 

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

It'd be fucking hilarious if he actually went ahead and appointed the most moderate Republican govt we've seen in a generation. He won't, but it'd be hilarious if he actually lived up to his words of wanting to govern for all of America.

Ryan, McConnell, Giuliani, Gingrich and co would have a collective fit.

I mean, that confirms that a large part of the problem was Clinton herself. She didn't reach voters, couldn't inspire them to come out in large enough numbers. Lost too many to third party candidates. The DNC really should be kicking themselves now, they screwed this whole thing up so badly.

But those people who voted 3rd party to punish the DNC, or because they didn't like Clinton? And those who didn't bother to vote at all? They deserve every bit of the apocalyptic shitshow that's about the descend on the USA.

Breitbart. Com Guy helped run his campaign.

We will be getting people 1 step away from goose stepping. 

• Love 5

Yeah, upper-middle-class white Christian men with six-figure salaries who have NO CLUE what this means for everyone else. It is infuriating.

The thing is, I don't know if they really know what it means for them either. I do not entirely know what this man believes in. And I have been paying attention. I do not know how he plans to enact his policies, whatever they are. And I don't think a lot of people do either. Too many people this election cycle voted on "feelings." 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

First, really, compliments to you on the incredible self-control. I luckily was not around anyone who is not grieving for our country as I am. I do not think I would be able to be quiet--I'm so angry, and so sad.  Obviously, that is the best choice in that circumstance, but requires excellent self control.

I'm not convinced about voter fraud either--although I would like to be reassured this was on the up and up. It is very weird to me that ALL polls showed a solid win for Hillary--including the RNC's own internal poll and Trump's own as well. They showed him losing key states by -2 -- and no such thing as winning Wisconsin and Pennsylvania--ridiculous!!! 

I would rather think it was a mass outpouring of support from some of America's stupidest and/or most hateful people, but I'm just not sure.

• Love 10