Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

18 minutes ago, Archery said:

I work in a federal office.  Just about everyone was in today, but the halls were silent as the grave.  And in other news, as of January 20, my 22 year career will end, as I CANNOT stand in any courtroom and say that I represent this administration.  I can't do it. 

You're quitting your job over this? Please tell me you've already got a backup plan lined up.

• Love 1

Reminder to Be Civil to your fellow posters, that's the overriding site rule. Report instead of engaging with any posters not following this rule.

There's also no requirement to justify your opinions.

• Love 6

I have "discovered" a good way to reduce election anxiety (well, I didn't discover it, it was always there, I jsut started using it).  The wonderful thing is the ignore feature offered by PTV.  Someone posting ridiculous nonsense that is making your blood boil?  Just hold the curser over their name until the window pops up.  Then choose "ignore user" (in the gray bar). Then you select exactly what parts you want to ignore (posts, messages, etc).  Be sure to click on  "Update Preferences" before you go back to where you were before.  Then, you won't have to see any of that poster's posts again - instead, where their post would be, you will see one line - "You have chosen to ignore so-and-so's*** posts"

*** if there is a poster named "So-an-so"  am not ignoring you.  

• Love 14

I come out of my self-induced seclusion today once in a while to check with these comments. Two things had occurred to me when I watched Melania and Barron on the stage last night. I couldn't watch it, but saw them assemble there. I still get the impression that Barron has ADS (autism spectrum disorder). His behavior is just not reactive or typical for a 10 year old boy. But then what typical 10 year old boy has an entire floor of Trump tower all for himself? I wondered if he'll be given an entire floor of the White House or will he have to rough it maybe with the Lincoln bedroom as his new hangout? Michelle Obama wants one thing set in stone before she leaves the White House, her beloved garden. Hillary had reassured Michelle Obama that she would be the protector of Michelle's garden in back of the White House. I wonder if Melania intends to put on her jeans and don her gardening gloves to invite young black children to be active participants in the growing of tomatoes and lettuce in the Michelle Obama garden. Okay, obviously that thought was preposterous, but still....it did cross my mind.

There's so many little bits and pieces of history that's going to be totally lost on the Trump family who are very accustomed to waiters, butlers, maids, housekeepers, cooks, and various service people. Will they feel as though they've been transported to a cabin in the wilds of Maine and have to rough it living in the quarters of the White House? Will Melania understand that Dolly Madison was more than just a brand of ice cream? Will Barron appreciate the fact that black slaves built the walls that surround his poster bed? Will Donald feel the momentous tingle of sitting in the oval office where John-John played under JFK''s desk or the declaration of war against Japan was signed by FDR?

I'm one of those that is deeply appreciative of our National treasures and tumultuous but illustrious history. I'm proud of what got us to where we are. I was offended to my core when Trump dared to stand at Gettysburg where Abraham Lincoln gave the most incredible speech ever given by a President in our history and chose to talk about how the first thing he intends to do as he takes over office is to sue the 12 women that accused him of sexual molestation. I know that Lincoln rolled over a few times in his grave, I would have. It's been a habit over the past 8 months to turn on my laptop and TV at the same time, and turn to CNN or MSNBC while I google online or post on Twitter or Facebook defending Hillary Clinton. All that stopped yesterday and I have to do everything in reverse. Today I've played poker on a poker website with live players (free stuff) and I've watched back to back episode of Toddlers & Tiaras. Anything but normal, anything to escape and anything to avoid anything about this fiasco and anything to avoid 'his' face or voice. All I can say now if I could say anything to him or to his supporters is "Show Me".  Just do it and show me you will make my life better in any way.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, galax-arena said:

You just know that all the people who insisted on voting for Trump because they're single issue voters when it comes to abortion and those precious babiiiieeeeessssss would be getting secret abortions by the dozen if we had an in utero test that could detect whether a fetus would end up gay. 

What I want to know is how many abortions Trump has paid for in his lifetime.  I will be feeling no compassion for the states that went red when the shit hits the fan for them.  Less tax money coming in, less help they will get.  Talk about voting against your interest!  Glad I live in CA.  At least I can get stoned today.  

I feel for my LGBTQ and black/Hispanic/Muslim friends today as well as women.  Guess they want to keep us barefoot, pregnant, and out of the way.  Its a white man's country right now.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, even here in blue Massachusetts, in my town 35% of the voters chose Trump.

I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that.

3 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

I have "discovered" a good way to reduce election anxiety (well, I didn't discover it, it was always there, I jsut started using it).  The wonderful thing is the ignore feature offered by PTV.  Someone posting ridiculous nonsense that is making your blood boil?  Just hold the curser over their name until the window pops up.  Then choose "ignore user" (in the gray bar).

I had completely forgotten that we have that option here - thank you!

• Love 2

I wonder Melania intends to put on her jeans and don her gardening gloves to invite young black children to be active participants in the growing of tomatoes and lettuce in the Michelle Obama garden. Okay, obviously that thought was preposterous, but still....it did cross my mind.

I wonder if there's something Barrack Obama can put in place to make sure the White House gardeners keep tending the garden. It seems so minor. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

NH Senate race called, Maggie Hassan defeated Kelly Ayotte, so there's something. Backing Trump, then not, then again (or did she start with not?) didn't save everyone.

Good!  Ayotte deserves to be defeated especially after claiming that nectarine nightmare was a "role model" for young people.  I'm so glad she got called on it and suffered the consequences for her flipflopping and foolery.

• Love 5

I have a fear that Trump will go full tyrant and set out to persecute his enemies and critics in the press. I feel like this is something he absolutely WILL do, and that freaks me out. I don't trust the GOP to stand up to him, because I think they're just going to flatter his ego so he signs their bills. But that means they let him ride roughshod over free speech and freedom of the press? They're already ok with bringing torture back.

• Love 17
59 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

But he also has Republican House and Senate backing. Which likely allows him great freedom. And that? PETRIFIES ME.

McConnell said first thing they are doing is repealing the ACA.  Well done repubs.  No plan in its place and no plans to fix it.  Just gone and now they can.  Makes me VERY happy I have insurance through work and as someone with a very expensive disease I am happy I don't have to buy it since I would be denied due to my preexisting condition if repealed.  I don't understand how this can happen.  But apparently the middle of the country has no problem with electing a man who is a proud sexual predator.  

My family in Poland was texting us all night.  Their comment was Putin is sipping champagne right now and they are scared shitless.  This is a country that is very conservative and THEY are scared.

• Love 19
8 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

I come out of my self-induced seclusion today once in a while to check with these comments. Two things had occurred to me when I watched Melania and Barron on the stage last night. I couldn't watch it, but saw them assemble there. I still get the impression that Barron has ADS (autism spectrum disorder). His behavior is just not reactive or typical for a 10 year old boy. But then what typical 10 year old boy has an entire floor of Trump tower all for himself? I wondered if he'll be given an entire floor of the White House or will he have to rough it maybe with the Lincoln bedroom as his new hangout? Michelle Obama wants one thing set in stone before she leaves the White House, her beloved garden. Hillary had reassured Michelle Obama that she would be the protector of Michelle's garden in back of the White House. I wonder Melania intends to put on her jeans and don her gardening gloves to invite young black children to be active participants in the growing of tomatoes and lettuce in the Michelle Obama garden. Okay, obviously that thought was preposterous, but still....it did cross my mind.

There's so many little bits and pieces of history that's going to be totally lost on the Trump family who are very accustomed to waiters, butlers, maids, housekeepers, cooks, and various service people. Will they feel as though they've been transported to a cabin in the wilds of Maine and have to rough it living in the quarters of the White House? Will Melania understand that Dolly Madison was more than just a brand of ice cream? Will Barron appreciate the fact that black slaves built the walls that surround his poster bed? Will Donald feel the momentous tingle of sitting in the oval office where John-John played under JFK''s desk or the declaration of war against Japan was signed by FDR?

I'm one of those that is deeply appreciative of our National treasures and tumultuous but illustrious history. I'm proud of what got us to where we are. I was offended to my core when Trump dared to stand at Gettysburg where Abraham Lincoln gave the most incredible speech ever given by a President in our history and chose to talk about how the first thing he intends to do as he takes over office is to sue the 12 women that accused him of sexual molestation. I know that Lincoln rolled over a few times in his grave, I would have. It's been a habit over the past 8 months to turn on my laptop and TV at the same time, and turn to CNN or MSNBC while I google online or post on Twitter or Facebook defending Hillary Clinton. All that stopped yesterday and I have to do everything in reverse. Today I've played poker on a poker website with live players (free stuff) and I've watched back to back episode of Toddlers & Tiaras. Anything but normal, anything to escape and anything to avoid anything about this fiasco and anything to avoid 'his' face or voice. All I can say now if I could say anything to him or to his supporters is "Show Me".  Just do it and show me you will make my life better in any way.

Given that the Drumpf family didn't seem civic minded enough to register to vote until this year, I doubt that they will fully appreciate the enormity of the history of the White House.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Drumpf didn't want his wife bothered with Michelle's garden.  It would be another F.U. to the Obamas.  Remember how vindictive he is.  Given that Drumpf likes to parade Melania around like a trophy, can you even see her in a pair of jeans or comfortable around children who aren't her own?  Can you see her sitting in a classroom like Michelle or the Bush First Ladies and reading to school children?  The only Black children who I can see being invited are the children of those Black clergy members who sold their souls to this wolf in wolf's clothing for a few shekels of silver for their churches' building funds.  Can you see the Drumpfs comforting Americans after a tragic event such as a mass shooting or hurricane?

I shudder to think how they will try to make over the White House to mirror the gaudy and tacky furniture and furnishings they've become accustomed to.

• Love 13

I shudder to think how they will try to make over the White House to mirror the gaudy and tacky furniture and furnishings they've become accustomed to.

I do think there are limits to how far they can redecorate. They can't just spray all the walls gold.

• Love 3

I can't think of any major way how my life will change, and my soul is still cold. Last night, I woke up less than two hours after going to bed, with thoughts of You-Know-Who fucking things up. Even if the Congress Republicans decide to limit his influence for the good of the nation, I'm still ashamed to be an American. At least Dubya had political experience. And at least there was a glimmer of hope that Gore would prevail. We have nothing now. Anything is in play. Opponents-turned-stooges could get Cabinet posts. Chris Christie will probably be content on becoming Chief Taint Cleaner. Our economy is going to crash. We might get into new wars. I am legit scared. And YKW will use his office to settle scores.

And what the fucking fuck was wrong with Hillary? Yes, she has baggage, and she probably took ambition lessons from Lady MacBeth, but she was so much better than the alternative. She's not coming back, and we're going to be poorer for it. And the scary thing is that Obama probably would have lost to the angry white vote. I'm a white guy, and I am not in the 63 percent. No fucking way, not even for kicks in the blue state of New York.

I don't see any hope on the horizon. I can't see it. Please, somebody tell me things will work out, and we won't be fucked and grabbed by the crotch over and over again. And don't say "Michelle 2020." I think most of this country is sexist and racist enough to vote down another First Lady, even if she's never sent an e-mail in her life.

If I had the money to move, I'd go to New Zealand. I'd like to be close to Paddington, the unbelievably handsome Shar Pei.

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I have a fear that Trump will go full tyrant and set out to persecute his enemies and critics in the press. I feel like this is something he absolutely WILL do, and that freaks me out. I don't trust the GOP to stand up to him, because I think they're just going to flatter his ego so he signs their bills. But that means they let him ride roughshod over free speech and freedom of the press? They're already ok with bringing torture back.

And you know what? I actually hope he does. I hope he goes full on tyrant with the republicans that wouldn't support him. I hope he goes on a litigation tirade after the women that came out claiming he touched them inappropriately. I hope he tries to do even half of what he has threatened to do even if it includes trying to send Hillary Clinton to jail. That will be a wake up call for everyone that he's actually as insane as we know he is. For now, he's going to bathe in a long term orgasmic episode of narcissist oblivion.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

They weren't registered to vote until THIS YEAR?????

It was my understanding that his children couldn't even vote for him in the New York primaries because they hadn't registered in time.  There were some amusing pictures being circulated online yesterday showing Drumpf, Melania and Qusay and his wife at the polls and they seemed quite confused by the process.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Janet Snakehole said:

OMG. 

How ridiculous would a Ye Presidency be?

He'd wear Adidas track suits to state dinners.

The State of the Union would be a hot track he dropped, and would probably debut on the billboard top 100. 

Kim Kardashian would be the First Freaking Lady. 

Truly terrifying that it's a viable possibility. 

Even more terrifying that a part of me desperately wants it to happen. 

• Love 2
Just now, HumblePi said:

And you know what? I actually hope he does. I hope he goes full on tyrant with the republicans that wouldn't support him. I hope he goes on a litigation tirade after the women that came out claiming he touched them inappropriately. I open he tries to do even half of what he has threatened to do even if it includes trying to send Hillary Clinton to jail. That will be a wake up call for everyone that he's actually as insane as we know he is. For now, he's going to bathe in a long term orgasmic episode of narcissist oblivion.

But are there ANY Republicans in congress who would stand up to this kind of behavior? They haven't all year. I'm scared that we have to put our faith in them to protect constitutional norms when they just got away with blocking Obama's SCOTUS pick and it payed off. We are going to NEED real conservatives to stand up to tyrant behavior if and when he veers in that direction. Them saying that they'd bring back torture already is a horrible sign.

I'm so worried. I am seeing hopes that he turns out more Berlusconi than Mussolini, but he was kept pretty in check by the legislative caucus in Italy. I fear that Republicans are willing to throw all this stuff away.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

OMG. 

How ridiculous would a Ye Presidency be?

He'd wear Adidas track suits to state dinners.

The State of the Union would be a hot track he dropped, and would probably debut on the billboard top 100. 

Kim Kardashian would be the First Freaking Lady. 

Truly terrifying that it's a viable possibility. 

Even more terrifying that a part of me desperately wants it to happen. 

You know, part of me is like fuck it. You guys can have your four years of the Donald, we can have our four years of Yeezy. Let's just give in to the shit show. Then maybe we'll have to compromise on a sane rational candidate in 2024.

In other news, there's this https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-picks-top-climate-skeptic-to-lead-epa-transition/?wt.mc=SA_Twitter-Share

• Love 1

Myron Ebell, director of the Center for Energy and Environment at the conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute, is spearheading Trump’s transition plans for EPA, the sources said.

The Trump team has also lined up leaders for its Energy Department and Interior Department teams. Republican energy lobbyist Mike McKenna (His lobbying clients in 2016 include Koch Companies Public Sector LLC, Southern Company Services, Dow Chemical Co. and Competitive Power Ventures Inc., according to public disclosures.) is heading the DOE team; former Interior Department solicitor David Bernhardt is leading the effort for that agency, according to sources close to the campaign.

ARGH GARGH GARGH. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

And you know what? I actually hope he does. I hope he goes full on tyrant with the republicans that wouldn't support him. I hope he goes on a litigation tirade after the women that came out claiming he touched them inappropriately. I open he tries to do even half of what he has threatened to do even if it includes trying to send Hillary Clinton to jail. That will be a wake up call for everyone that he's actually as insane as we know he is. For now, he's going to bathe in a long term orgasmic episode of narcissist oblivion.

Yes, I'm with you. Do not legitimize him with your cooperation and platitudes, let everyone see him for the sociopath that he is. Let him do all the deranged crap he promised. Let him take revenge on all his Republican enablers. I hope he goes down in flames and takes his weasel pals with him. That's the only way to make sure a Trump never happens again.

• Love 4

Holy shit I just realized what happened? We've all been abducted to The Upside down:

The Upside Down is the parallel dimension inhabited by the Monster. It is a dark reflection of the dimension inhabited by humans, containing the same locations and infrastructure, only it is dark and cold, covered in ropy, root-like veins and a kind of web, with spores floating in the air.

Upside Down | Stranger Things Wiki | Fandom 

Apologies to those who haven't seen Stranger Things . 

Now I'm off to find my Christmas lights to communicate with the real world . 

• Love 6

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/11/6-women-who-did-shatter-the-glass-ceiling-last-night.html?mid=twitter_cut

Not only will the newly elected Senate have more women than ever before, but three of those new female senators are women of color — that brings the number of female minority senators to four. 

Women also made history in the House of Representatives, with voters electing the first Indian-American woman, the first Somali-American Muslim woman, and the first Vietnamese-American woman to serve in the chamber. And although both houses are still overwhelmingly male, hey, it’s a start. Below is a complete list of all the women who made history this election cycle, all of whom are Democrats.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I also loved Tim Kaine's quote from William Faulkner:  "they kilt us, but they didn't whup us."

I first read this as William Shatner and was trying to figure out which episode that quote came from......

First laugh I've had in over 24 hours. Thanks, I needed that.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, rcc said:

I think "jeans" are not allowed to be worn by a Trump. lol

Pretty fuckin sure he wears mom jeans

6 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I have so many people to unfriend these days.

Fuckiing dying Mom tablet won't let me erase above quote

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, random chance said:

Yes, I'm with you. Do not legitimize him with your cooperation and platitudes, let everyone see him for the sociopath that he is. Let him do all the deranged crap he promised. Let him take revenge on all his Republican enablers. I hope he goes down in flames and takes his weasel pals with him. That's the only way to make sure a Trump never happens again.

Yep, Obama and Hillary are true patriots, which I clearly am not, because I want failure. I want him to burn it all down unfortunately the folks that voted for him won't suffer any more than I will so...But I don't care, I will not be supporting the klan and neo-nazis in the oval office.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Keepitmoving said:

Yep, Obama and Hillary are true patriots, which I clearly am not, because I want failure. I want him to burn it all down unfortunately the folks that voted for him won't suffer any more than I will so...But I don't care, I will not be supporting the klan and neo-nazis in the oval office.

I'm not actually sure that doesn't make us patriots. Obviously his failure isn't going to make my own life any better, but I'll take the hit because that's the only way to make sure his ilk never comes back. I don't want to be better off than the people he's targeted just because I'm white and I kept my mouth shut.

• Love 1

I finally ate something for the first time in nearly 24 hours, and I barely tasted it.  Numb with grief, I guess. 

I probably shouldn't be so drained at the mere thought of getting back to work tomorrow and giving serious consideration to saying, "Fuck it; I'll get myself back together by Monday, but I'm taking a long weekend to mourn before I start dealing with the anger in a positive way" -- I'm a civil rights attorney with a focus on women's rights, so it's never been more important for me to do my job.  I want to heed Hillary's call to keep fighting the good fight.  And I will.  Soon.  But right now I'm just fucking exhausted, because we just jumped so far backwards.  I haven't felt this despondent about the future of people's rights in our country since the PATRIOT Act. 

• Love 22
50 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

I come out of my self-induced seclusion today once in a while to check with these comments. Two things had occurred to me when I watched Melania and Barron on the stage last night. I couldn't watch it, but saw them assemble there. I still get the impression that Barron has ADS (autism spectrum disorder). His behavior is just not reactive or typical for a 10 year old boy. But then what typical 10 year old boy has an entire floor of Trump tower all for himself? I wondered if he'll be given an entire floor of the White House or will he have to rough it maybe with the Lincoln bedroom as his new hangout? Michelle Obama wants one thing set in stone before she leaves the White House, her beloved garden. Hillary had reassured Michelle Obama that she would be the protector of Michelle's garden in back of the White House. I wonder if Melania intends to put on her jeans and don her gardening gloves to invite young black children to be active participants in the growing of tomatoes and lettuce in the Michelle Obama garden. Okay, obviously that thought was preposterous, but still....it did cross my mind.

Is there some kind of law that says the President HAS to live in the White House?  Trump said, win or lose he'll be on Pennsylvania Ave.  He just opened his brand new Hotel there, so I think he and the rest of them can live there.  Leave Michelle's garden the hell alone.

I'm also down for Trump crashing and burning. Its such a shame his failures cant be targeted just to the idiots who voted for him.

• Love 3

This will be the first time in my life that I won't be able to watch inauguration day festivities. I've watched it, and have just love the ceremonial aspect in the transfer of power even back in with Gore/Bush Jr., I still watched it.

It is painful because I wanted to get a last glimpse of the Obama's but not this time.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Aquarius said:

I am also ashamed to be a white woman.  I'm ashamed to be white, actually.

I live in a very red area of NJ, traditionally white and rural.  The demographics are changing around here, and with that, racially-tinged hatred has been on the rise. Being white and surrounded by whites, everyone assumes I feel the same way, so I hear things.  I hear really awful things.  Sometimes from friends.  Sometimes from family.  My town forum is a hotbed of unapologetic racism; some of the things I read my neighbors spouting take my breath away.  All of this is upsetting and infuriating but it is the reality around here.  And yet, of course, racism does not exist.

You can't be your neighbors' keeper though. In fact, if you are FROM that area that's traditionally... like you've described then maybe even have a little pride that you've broken the pattern. If you moved there and just live among them, then that's different.

It's never going to be as hard being a white person ashamed of being white as it is to be a black or brown person PERIOD. But don't downplay the fact that being aware of your position, sensitive to your privilege, makes you one of the good guys, not one of the jerks.

• Love 11

Obama and Clinton may be gracious but f that noise. The GOP don't play that way. On January 20, 2009 the GOP pledged to make Obama a one-term president. They failed but they made damn sure to obstruct him every way possible. I'm sick of showing up with a knife to a gun fight. "When they aim low, we go high" was lovely but it is no way to win an election.  

After the 1988 wipeout of Dukakis, Clinton swore to run a campaign where he would swing back at everything the GOP threw at him. Hence, the War Room. At some point the Democratic establishment grew complacent and tentative. We need to become ball-kickers again.

We need to lick our wounds and after an appropriate but short period of mourning get out there. Make yourself feel better by looking at the electoral map of voters under 30 - a sea of blue. This is the future. Remember that the majority of voters did not vote for Trump. The country is not lost. Then let's go out and recruit new progressive talent - start locally, grow at the roots. No more rich billionaires moving to open seats to buy a new toy for themselves. The 2018 campaign starts now.

If anything forewarned is forearmed.  I don't know if you guys were, but I was oblivious to the decades-long machinations of the Kochs and the Bradley's and the Mellon's until a few years ago. We are onto them. 

Sheriff Joe Arpaio was voted out of office last night. The voters of Massachusetts soundly rejected a ballot initiative that would have expanded the charter school quasi-privatization of public education. All is not lost.

And to try to put a positive spin on this: this was a storm brewing for a long time. A Clinton administration might have staved this off for some time, but not for a long time. The Trump administration may be a clown show, but it might be preferable to a Cruz/Walker/Ryan administration because those three guys play to win. 

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 17