Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

I've noticed that every time the Cubs win the World Series during an election year, the Republican candidate is elected President.

Still, I've decided not to blame the Cubs.  Instead, in the spirit of Americans coming together, I've decided to blame a foreign sports team, the Western Bulldogs of the Australian Football League.  They won the AFL Grand Final this year for the first time in 62 years.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

So I guess Ted Nugent, Mike Tyson and Scott Baio will be the entertainment  at the inauguration.

One of the very, very few things that provides a small bit of comic relief right now is imagining Trump's people trying to line up some top tier talent for the inauguration, only to be told every time, "Not only no, but hell no."

• Love 24

In case my inspirational, optimistic, and joyful songs aren't everyone's cup of tea, this one helps me sometimes when I'm in a dark place. For the people who like those other songs, this one might not be for you.

• Love 1

So, at 6:30 this morning I texted the lass asking her if she'd hate me if I didn't come.  I got back a not very happy text back, but do what you gotta do.  I replied that I needed a few hours.  I ate more bad food and took a long nap.  We talked again an I told her I'd do my best to get it together and get packed.  I'm almost done packing - and I'm pretty sure that I'm going for it.  It will take my mind of this disaster.

• Love 3

I was looking at the popular vote numbers and got curious about voter turnout. It's less than 50%. I got curious about the numbers, so I looked up some numbers. Trump and Hilary both got just under 60 million votes. The US population (counting citizens only), is 295 million people. Only 20% of the population voted for each of them. The difference between them is almost nothing percentage-wise when you count all citizens. I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse.

I don't get how so many people can not vote. I know some people think that with the electoral college their vote doesn't matter, but it's so depressing when you look at the numbers like that.

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't get how so many people can not vote. I know some people think that with the electoral college their vote doesn't matter, but it's so depressing when you look at the numbers like that.

Last night at a city council meeting, one of the council members said she didn't vote.  "I don't like either of them, so I stayed home."  So there were millions more like her, I suppose. 

• Love 1

@KaveDweller If I'm understanding your numbers correctly, then maybe it'll make you feel slightly better, KaveDweller, to realize that everyone in that 295 million was not eligible to vote (underage, etc.). But still, low voter turnout continues to be disappointing.

I cried. Cracked watching Full Frontal. I don't feel any better. My soul still feels like it's going to throw up at any second. And I got "Hurt" playing in my head. Not the Nine Inch Nails original . . . the Johnny Cash cover. Damn it, why did Logan reintroduce that in the trailer?

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I cried. Cracked watching Full Frontal. I don't feel any better. My soul still feels like it's going to throw up at any second. And I got "Hurt" playing in my head. Not the Nine Inch Nails original . . . the Johnny Cash cover. Damn it, why did Logan reintroduce that in the trailer?

All day I've had "It's the End of the World as We Know It" by REM stuck in my head - except I don't "feel fine." Quite the opposite. Glad to have this forum to come to and glad that the vast majority of my friends and colleagues feel the same. I have alternated between needing shoulders to cry on and just being numb all day long.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

@KaveDweller If I'm understanding your numbers correctly, then maybe it'll make you feel slightly better, KaveDweller, to realize that everyone in that 295 million was not eligible to vote (underage, etc.). But still, low voter turnout continues to be disappointing.

Oh, good point, I forgot about age. I made a point to take out people living in the US who aren't citizens, but not that.

According to this, there are about 231 million eligible voters. So the percentage of people who voted for Hilary Clinton is 25.6% and the percentage of people who voted for Donald Trump is 25.5%.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

Maybe I will feel differently in a few days, but at this point I wish that the Northeast and the West coast could pull off their own Brexit and just form a new country with a sane president and sensible legislature.

I don't know if this is the answer but I wish it could be tried out/attempted. I saw a couple of people saying people had mocked Texas in 2008 when they wanted to do the same thing. I didn't. 

• Love 1

Fuck the god damn electoral college. Only 5 times in our history has this happened- 1824, 1876, 1888, 2000 and 2016.

That is wrong. This should never happen. The person who wins the votes should win the election, period. The country didn't vote for this man, the system gave it to him anyway. Never stop protesting him. Ever. Swarm his shitshow of an inauguration.

• Love 19
55 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

I'm glad to find this thread.

On Election day, I didn't read any news, listen to any news, or watch TV. I was so worried that Drumpf would win, I just couldn't bear to cope with the anxiety of watching the predictions.  So I went to bed, not knowing who our next president would be.

During the night, I had a dream that I was consoling Hillary because he won. I explained that he wasn't going to have fun being the president, and it was going to be way more work that he bargained for, and that he would get sick of having to be held accountable every day for the next four years.

I woke up this morning and waited a while to turn on NPR. I thought, if I have to hear the bad news, I want it from NPR. So I clicked on the radio, while still in bed, and I heard the words "that was Hillary giving her concession speech." I shut the radio off and cried.

I cannot believe that a man with a personality disorder is now our president. I just feel utterly sick.

He will NEVER be "president" to me. He will always be a reality-show fool that I used to enjoy making fun of when he was on The Apprentice.  I can literally never see him as a real professional politician, let alone POTUS. I just can't. He is a fake, a huckster, a con, a sociopath, I could go on. I can't even stand to hear the sound of his voice. Anytime it would come on over the past year, I would turn the radio off.

None of this has anything to do with policies or political views.

This man is a disgusting human being and it is truly terrifying that he is now the leader of the United States.

I co-sign everything you said.   Did not watch any election coverage and fell asleep feeling hopeful and anxious at the same time. Woke up around 230 am and couldn't bare to turn on tv so I checked this thread.  Saw immediately that man won. I burst into tears and have been feeling despondent yet resigned ever since. I too had been looking forward to Nov 9th so he could fade into oblivion only to find out as you call him a disgusting human being will be the leader of the free world.  I found him appalling on the Apprentice and stopped watching that show after a few seasons.  This is what our country has come to that a reality tv star will be the most powerful man in the world. It just boggles my mind. This thread has been a lifeline for me. Have read every comment. I refuse to watch any news shows or read any papers or mags. Not ready to see any images of him. My updates post election have come from this thread and a few radio shows. 

• Love 10

For anyone who is scared about the implications for the ACA, this blog has some good, detailed information that explains that it most likely won't (can't?) necessarily all come tumbling down in one fell swoop. 

http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2016/11/09/day-one-and-beyond-what-trumps-election-means-for-the-aca/

I think this is an area where it is important to send letters to our local and state representatives.

I find myself wondering... a year or two for now, when healthcare costs are still a huge problem for millions of Americans... who are the Drumpf voters going to blame then??

• Love 6

According to this, there are about 231 million eligible voters. So the percentage of people who voted for Hilary Clinton is 25.6% and the percentage of people who voted for Donald Trump is 25.5%.

Yet some of the very same Republican pundits who denied Obama had a mandate are claiming Trump has one.  Only a quarter of the population voted for him, and more people voted for her, but that's a mandate.  Okay.

People with no impediments to voting who don't vote should be called out (it's their right to opt out, but it's also our right to judge that decision), but the most disturbing issues for me are a) the number of people made ineligible to vote in the first place by our "new Jim Crow" laws, b) the places where voting is made cumbersome, voters are mislead and intimidated, etc. and c) gerrymandering of districts.  (And, golly gee, it must be a coincidence the majority of those disenfranchised by A, B, and C are statistically likely to vote for Democrats.)

• Love 18

I've been reading here for a while without posting, but just wanted to say thank you to everyone. It's been nice to know that my small circle of the world isn't alone in feeling the way we are, and that we're not alone. I'm grateful that my husband, parents, and the majority of my Facebook feed (largely POC and/or female and/or LGBT) understand. I cannot imagine living in the same house or having someone in my immediate family (I can't speak for my extended family's decisions during this election) be an enthusiastic Trump supporter. My heart goes out to those of you struggling with that. I don't know how I could even deal with that right now.

I was crying on and off last night and spent most of it completely terrified of this president and everything he encouraged out of certain people in our society. I was mostly numb today, although I could feel the pressure building, but what sent me over the edge and into crying again was seeing comments on Facebook about how the only people afraid of walking outside under Trump are people afraid of chalk, and also making fun of people possibly getting triggered or needing a safe space. Mocking and belittling people's genuine fears, not having an ounce of empathy or compassion that they may actually feel this way and be afraid of what their own country might do to them, especially in light of hateful comments people are already receiving on the street, was just too much. People who look like me - US citizens, born in these borders - have been through this before with the internment camps, and 70+ years later, we're still seen as others and not Americans. So yes, I'm genuinely afraid that it's possible again given the rhetoric of this election. Not to mention all the other reasons people might be terrified outside of just race and ethnicity. The inability or unwillingness to even try to understand from people who I've known in person and thought had some compassion, I just don't know how to process that right now.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread is here, and I'm thankful for this support group since I can't bear to watch the news or some of the other stuff I usually do, and Facebook/Twitter these days can be a minefield.

• Love 24

You guys, Seth Meyers' segment tonight was so good. Him getting emotional got me emotional all over again.

I have to say, he's probably been my favorite person this election. His "A Closer Look" segment digs deeper than most other ACTUAL news pundints.

I love his "Were at Late Night, we'll be watching you." threat at the end. People like him and the amazing Samantha Bee aren't going to take his shit. 

Edited by YesWeCantNotKnope
  • Love 20
5 hours ago, Syd said:

Serious question. Is there anybody here that is happy with the Trump victory? I thought the liberalism was only in a few forum threads. But if I'm wrong, I'll gladly vamos. 

Putin probably is. But I don't think he has an account here. 

2 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

For anyone who is scared about the implications for the ACA, this blog has some good, detailed information that explains that it most likely won't (can't?) necessarily all come tumbling down in one fell swoop. 

http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2016/11/09/day-one-and-beyond-what-trumps-election-means-for-the-aca/

I think this is an area where it is important to send letters to our local and state representatives.

I find myself wondering... a year or two for now, when healthcare costs are still a huge problem for millions of Americans... who are the Drumpf voters going to blame then??

They'll blame Hilary for not running a better campaign. 

They'll blame the system for not allowing Trump to fulfill his campaign promises.

Trump will likely blame illegal immigrants, democrats, Obama, pretty much anybody except himself. 

• Love 23

Wow, so yeah- it's going to be pretty difficult for them to just toss away the ACA altogether. Huh. And it seems to me like they really can't do it with no plan to replace it, or it's a full on catastrophe. Which means if they really want to do this they HAVE to come up with their own health care plan. And not only that, but it will take at least two years to get all that together- but McConnell says they'll do it in the first week? How? Hmmm. It actually looks to me like their easier bet would be to just stop defending it in the courts and chip away at it that way. Any drastic action is going to cause a massive disruption, that would be far more disruptive than implementing it was.

I don't know if they do it. I assume they're going to figure out how hard it is, if they think it's just going to be easy.

• Love 3

The electoral college needs to go. He didn't win. She did. The media would treat is as a total scandal if Hillary didn't win the popular vote and there were protests in the streets.

It's simply not fair. The 2000 election caused mass partisanship going forward because of the whole debacle, and now this happens again, where the winner of the vote doesn't win? This is not going to end well. Voters will feel disenfranchised. It's not really democracy if the winner of the vote doesn't win the election. He doesn't have a mandate for shit if he didn't win the vote! This is going to get worse and worse.

We have to abolish it. Even though he's an idiot, Trump's tweets regarding it as being antithetical to democracy were right. This thing is outdated at best, but I honestly don't think it should have ever been in use. I want this to be a new movement, because people's votes just aren't counting and look at what happens because of it. No. This is wrong, period.

• Love 13
21 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Some three months ago, my husband, retired from the Navy, was offered two jobs out of the blue at virtually the same time. One was in Virginia, the other in Nova Scotia. Of course, Nova Scotia was a far more exciting prospect, but since selling our house in Connecticut and both moving was not an option for a variety of reasons, we finally decided that the logistics of maintaining two households and commuting back and forth for brief visits every few weeks combined with Canadian/Nova Scotia taxes (each takes their own hefty share) did not make the Nova Scotia job really tenable...we'd end up clearing very little on it when all was said and done, so he accepted the job in Virginia. We joked, at the time, that we'd end up regretting it if Trump was elected...It really was not even on our radar that this was a real possibility. But it is actually becoming a real regret.

A Canadian legend to help you say farewell to Nova Scotia : ) 

Edited by film noire
2 hours ago, crayon78 said:

Mocking and belittling people's genuine fears, not having an ounce of empathy or compassion that they may actually feel this way and be afraid of what their own country might do to them, especially in light of hateful comments people are already receiving on the street, was just too much.

Especially some who fear that this nation will sooner or later be a theocracy; those people who mock those fears saying "Trump only said that to rally his base; it won't be a theocracy"-- what if it really does become like that? What will they say then?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

As an attorney, though not one that specializes in Probate but who has friends who do, if there are people that you want to ensure don't inherit anything from your estate, the best thing to do is to actually name them in the will and leave them $1.00. This way they cannot even attempt to argue that just forgot about them, that you may not have been in the right state of mind, etc.

I have family drama of my own, it has nothing to do with the election and started long before that, but basically my mother and my sister were both asking me for money to support my lazy ass sister who refuses to work and is 10 years older than I am, has an RN, but is trying to claim disability. 3 states have denied her this. She and her husband have now moved back in with my mother and step-father for about the 10th time as they keep getting evicted (their credit is so bad banks won't even give them a checking account) and my mother actually had the nerve to send me an invoice for $1000 per month to support my sister. I ignored it and haven't spoken to my mother for over a year now. This was complicated when my father passed a year ago as he had disowned my sister as she had stolen from the entire family, beaten me on several occasions, refused to call anyone unless she needed money, spent time in jail, etc. She lost her RN job because she has had a long term drug problem and was taking drugs from the kids she was treating on the pediatric oncology ward. As I was executrix of my Father's will, my mother blamed me for my sister not inheriting anything (my parents had been divorced for over 25 years). The first thing my mother said to me when I told her my Father passed was "Well, we need to talk about his estate." My Father was just 61, and he made it clear to anyone that would listen (lawyers, doctors, his financial advisor, my step-mother, my aunts and uncles, etc.) that he only had one child and it was me.

I have a rare neurological condition, and it is managed and I work as an attorney for one of the largest tech companies in the world, travel world wide, split time living between southern CA and London (married a Brit and have dual citizenship). However, should anything happen to me, even if I get hit by a bus crossing the street or something, I made sure how my estate was handled was iron clad and that they wouldn't inherit a thing - other than $1.00 each.

Back on topic, I spend most of my time working abroad, but have been at our home in Southern CA for a couple of weeks now. We threw a party last night for the election and were all devastated by the outcome. I snuck off to the master bedroom to cry more than once. My husband and I have been seriously considering moving back to the UK and making that our permanent home. My company has offices all over the world and he and his father own a company that takes them on projects around the world, so where we physically live doesn't really matter. We have an exit plan, and I think when we go back to the UK for Christmas and New Years, we may just stay. We will keep our home here, but will likely rent it out for a while.

I'm glad I didn't have to face anyone today and had planned on taking the day off regardless of who won because of the party, but I am completely numb. I'm fortunate to live in a very liberal area of Southern CA, so I don't really have much fear of Trumpsters and I did make it to the grocery store today, but I feel for those who have legitimate fears about just doing every day things. It isn't right. That is not America - that is not what this country fought so hard for. Everything feels upside down now and I keep holding out some hope that between now and mid-January, something can still be done, especially as its known Russia hacked Hillary's e-mails, so why wouldn't they be able to hack the voting machines? I just can't believe that so many Americans would prefer him over Hillary. That man has offended pretty much every group at one point or another. He is not about unity - he is dividing this Country. I just hope that, as many have said, his supporters start to realize real fast what ignorant assholes they have been because he can't do anything he said would. He will make this country worse than it was in 2008 and Obama came in and spent 8 years trying to clean up the horrible mess that was left for him. He did the best he could. Trump won't care when people start to lose their homes again, their retirement funds, their 401ks, their jobs, etc. He has no interest in it. He won't care about destroying relationships with allies that we've had for decades. He won't care about nuclear warfare being a possibility. He won't care about China perhaps wanting to call in some of our debt early. The man won't care about anything except hearing "Hail to the Chief" whenever he enters a room and hosting State Dinners and showing off Millania. This whole thing is so sad and depressing.

I always knew I liked you, Rapunzel, but this post has officially sealed my utmost LURVE for you.

• Love 8

I hope everyone at those protests voted especially the ones in Philly ,Miami and New Orleans and any of the other cities where Hillary lost that state. That said, the protests give me hope that people , especially younger people, will get fired up and get involved. 

• Love 10

I live in NYC and work for the state thru which I get my medical coverage and the other benefits you'd typical get with a gov't job. I thank God everyday for this job and after the results of the election I'm even more grateful.  However, the one thing that has been worrying me (if only in the abstract) is terrorism.  I imagine the leaders of Isis or whoever licking their chops at a chance to carry out 9/11 levels of attacks.  Trump's idiocy, complete lack of awareness and yes his TEMPERMENT I fear is going to cost us lives. 

I was watching the news last night as they spoke about how Trump will start being briefed about sensitive foreign policy information and the like and one person who's familiar with the process said that once the president-elect gets a hold of information it often sobers them.  As much as I would love for Trump to fall flat on his ass just to teach all the idiots who voted for him a lesson (because how do you vote for someone you think is unqualified for the job you're voting him for)...on THIS topic I hope he's on his game. 

• Love 3