Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

10 minutes ago, magdalene said:

From classy Michelle to trashy Melania.  I am not watching her prance around the White House.  

I'll lose my health insurance as soon as the ACA is repealed.  Thanks to the fucking morons who elected this racist and fascist who doesn't have a single empathetic bone in his body. 

I hate everybody who voted for Trump and I wish them all bad karma.

Today I started to cut family out of my life and out of my  will who voted for Trump - I know who they are because of their gloating. They are not getting a penny. Their children are not getting a penny either. I have the memory of an elephant and once my good will is gone it's gone for good.

Today I ran into an aquaintance  who has been pro Trump - I refused to acknowledge her and rather enjoyed her confused and hurt expression.  I will not be friends with any Republican or support any of their causes.

Today I haven't watched any CNN or MSNBC.   I have to take a long hiatus from any political programming.

I have a lot of fury in my heart. I feel like one of those knitting women with the cold eyes in A TALE OF TWO CITIES.

I know the Democrats have no power but I hope they can find a way to make it as hard for Trump as possible.

I am praying that these four years pass quickly and that he does leave after these four years.

Sing it sister!  I hope no one goes to the inauguration, Easter celebration, or watches the state of the union.  He may be president (threw up a bit in my mouth) but he doesn't have to get the respect of the people by watching him on a platform.  We need to make sure in 2/4 years that those that wish to take us back to the 50s never get into Washington again.  

I had to explain to a millennial what a Trump presidency means to their rights to do as they see fit with their body and that they never should have taken that for granted.  There are consequences folks and it sucks for the states that voted for him since those that didn't seem to be better off financially and don't take  so much federal $$.

• Love 15

Then pull it together and quit fucking crying about the doomed future! Quit with the victimhood. We lost.. So pull it together and strive for a change at the next opportunity. Let's go! Don't bend over. This is what was expected of this side from the other side. No fight. Just tears. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

I am so beaten down at this point. I need someone to talk me out of embracing apathy. It may be the only way to get through the next 4 years.

You should embrace apathy for awhile if it helps. You should do whatever gets you through the initial stages of grief (we all should), with no guilt. It was a body blow, nobody should be expecting us to leap up off the floor immediately with a hearty "now I fight back!" (Unless you're a comic book hero.)

• Love 19
13 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

And to try to put a positive spin on this: this was a storm brewing for a long time. A Clinton administration might have staved this off for some time, but not for a long time. The Trump administration may be a clown show, but it might be preferable to a Cruz/Walker/Ryan administration because those three guys play to win. 

But what if the clown only wants the title and lets Pence make all the decisions?  That's what concerns me.  Pence is just as extreme as those three and the republicans now have all three branches of government for at least three years. 

HumblePi:  I agree with your whole post and here's something else that makes me ill:  He's now eligible to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

callmebetty:  I loved your Stranger Things post.  May I share it?

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, HumblePi said:

And you know what? I actually hope he does. I hope he goes full on tyrant with the republicans that wouldn't support him. I hope he goes on a litigation tirade after the women that came out claiming he touched them inappropriately. I hope he tries to do even half of what he has threatened to do even if it includes trying to send Hillary Clinton to jail. That will be a wake up call for everyone that he's actually as insane as we know he is. For now, he's going to bathe in a long term orgasmic episode of narcissist oblivion.

I honestly don't understand where even the wheels of government (muchless all of us) go from here.

• We will have a President, a sitting President, who has NO plan to properly put his businesses in a Blind Trust. He (and his kids in fact) publicly displayed ignorance of what a Blind Trust really is.
  • IF (big IF) he's held to his word, at some point he may release Tax Returns. What if they illustrate lies in things he said? It's not actionable--you can't be removed simply for having lied during the campaign (and it would take an impeachment with a REPUBLICAN congress anyway).
  • We will have a President with at least 30 major lawsuits in the next year, a good number which personally name him as a party, including at least one potential criminal trial. So how does this even work with a sitting President? Is he immune to normal trials and can only face a Special Prosecutor and needs to be impeached FIRST, or do pre-existing cases not need that?  Are they all delayed until he's no longer in office? Argh!
  • We will have a President where, even more than Obama with a Republican Congress, is not going to be able to get approvals for ANY cabinet position, Justice, high level civil servant. I mean really... how long down his list of nutty allies will Trump have to go to get sign offs on ANYTHING?  We will get disgusting stuff like Katrina Pierson for Press Secretary (I'm assuming Kellyanne Conway gets something even higher) but who else will be ABLE to work for Trump? It will be gridlock from Day 1, far worse than ever before. Now add to that the fact that Trump is an idiot. A man who HATES details. Who delegates everything.  How's this all going to work?  Ivanka (the only "assistant" of Trump's who would be approved of universally) can't do ALL of the jobs herself, you know!!!
  • Comey. Even under these circumstances (Trump winning) how does this joker stay at the FBI? Another person to approve a replacement for and no confirmation possible, I bet. The highest ranked career Assistant Director is going to have to basically run the joint for a long time I bet.
  • Supreme Court: In theory there is no fixed number. If another dies, it's not like 7 is any more "wrong" than 8 (although by tradition both are considered "worse" than 9). I am wondering actually if the Supreme Court actually has the power, or the will, to stop Trump "real time" if he tries to govern via illegal actions (having people arrested improperly, Executive Orders which violate laws, etc.)

Ugh. Enough for now. My head hurts.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 16

We need to lick our wounds and after an appropriate but short period of mourning get out there. Make yourself feel better by looking at the electoral map of voters under 30 - a sea of blue. This is the future. Remember that the majority of voters did not vote for Trump. The country is not lost. Then let's go out and recruit new progressive talent - start locally, grow at the roots. No more rich billionaires moving to open seats to buy a new toy for themselves. The 2018 campaign starts now.

I live in NY. Almost everyone on my ballot was a clear vote for a Democrat. By that I mean, in many races that was the only option unless you wanted to go rogue and write someone in. Tell me how to help get out the vote in other states (bearing in mind it is not practical for me to actually go to those states).

I am so beaten down at this point. I need someone to talk me out of embracing apathy. It may be the only way to get through the next 4 years.

Feed yourself a steady diet of love and hope. You think you cannot find your enthusiasm because the opposite of enthusiasm and energy is fear and sadness. It is not. That is a the lie they want you to believe. Choose love. Choose hope. That is where you'll find the reserves of energy to push you forward. I woke myself up today knowing there would be people I would need to talk through this. We're going to need you in these four years. There will be people these four years who will need your support and who will lift you up when you need theirs. You are not alone.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

Just went for a walk around my complex, ran into a neighbor and she immediately told me she is in shock and feels like she's grieving.  And I saw a "Fuck Trump" sign in a neighbors window.  I suspect that person will get a warning from the Homeowners Assoc. But I felt a little better.

Well I am thinking about buying Fuck Trump tshirts and giving them out as Xmas presents.  I also am downloading YG's Fuck Donald Trump.  My new anthem.  I do agree we need to move on and mobilize for the future.  However, I don't think one day of grief is asking for too much.  I don't think a week is too much.  The mask was ripped off many people we know and we don't like what we see.  Takes a minute to process.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, Curio said:

From Michelle Obama—a Harvard Law School graduate—to Melania—a former model. This is the America we live in.

I saw the picture of the new first family. I'll break it down:

An old orange man, shuffles when he walks if no one is looking, seriously mentally ill and on meds

An eastern european whore as first lady

3 seriously intellectually challenged male heirs

2 daughters and 2 daughters-in-law who have been cosmetic-surgically enhanced to all look alike so the old orange man could have a run at them

god help our republic.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, SoDak girl said:

I just need to say this, and not on FB as I made a short statement this morning, and have not gone back to that subject since then.  What I need to say is this:  If you start your BS excuse for voting for the republican with the words "I voted for him, but I am not a racist " then YOU ARE A RACIST.  If you hear that language from ANYONE and you do not say that is offensive and you cannot say that around me, then you are a racist.  If you heard/saw that guy saying those awful things and still voted for him, you are a racist by not rejecting the language and the attitude, then you are implicitly giving the message to all that you are OK with that attitude.  Same goes for misogynistic or homophobic or xenophobic or islamaphobic language, if you do not state that this is NOT OK, then you are that misogynist, or homophobe, etc. There is no gray area.  It is all black and white and your white privilege cannot protect you from the guilt of that sin.  This is soooooo awful.  How do I explain it to my 4 year old grand-daughter? Just heartbreaking for all of us. 

A basket of deplorables, as Hillary once said and I agreed with her...I hated how she had to take those words back, because the The Trump supporters were offended...Now these deplorables have taken us down with them..

• Love 15
17 minutes ago, SoDak girl said:

I just need to say this, and not on FB as I made a short statement this morning, and have not gone back to that subject since then.  What I need to say is this:  If you start your BS excuse for voting for the republican with the words "I voted for him, but I am not a racist " then YOU ARE A RACIST.  If you hear that language from ANYONE and you do not say that is offensive and you cannot say that around me, then you are a racist.  If you heard/saw that guy saying those awful things and still voted for him, you are a racist by not rejecting the language and the attitude, then you are implicitly giving the message to all that you are OK with that attitude.  Same goes for misogynistic or homophobic or xenophobic or islamaphobic language, if you do not state that this is NOT OK, then you are that misogynist, or homophobe, etc. There is no gray area.  It is all black and white and your white privilege cannot protect you from the guilt of that sin.  This is soooooo awful.  How do I explain it to my 4 year old grand-daughter? Just heartbreaking for all of us. 

I said a similar thing today....sometimes things are not black and white and there is room for discussion. Not here. This is black and white, right and wrong.  No excuses....you supported him, then you support what he is and what he stands for and WE HERE KNOW WHAT THOSE THINGS ARE.

I feel hopeless. I really do.

• Love 6

ut what if the clown only wants the title and lets Pence make all the decisions?  That's what concerns me.  Pence is just as extreme as those three and the republicans now have all three branches of government for at least three years

I agree, this is a concern. In many ways I would want a somewhat engaged Trump, not a "I just want the title" Trump, because Trump is refreshingly uninterested in social and cultural issues for a Republican. He could care less about funerals for miscarried or aborted fetuses or conversion therapy - but the concern is he cedes that to his Veep, who cares deeply about that stuff. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Sing it sister!  I hope no one goes to the inauguration, Easter celebration, or watches the state of the union. 

And those who do show up will be wearing trash like t-shirts with "you can grab MY p****!" and swastikas and so on.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Just went for a walk around my complex, ran into a neighbor and she immediately told me she is in shock and feels like she's grieving. 

I am hearing that from everyone and experiencing it myself. My body is feeling the same way it did when I heard about the death of a family member or friend. Hungry but can't eat, tired but can't sleep, on the verge of tears but too shocked to cry, numb but achy at the same time. And I don't know when I will stop feeling this way. I do know that eventually I will cry and I also know that eventually I am going to get so furious. I am full of hatred for all who voted for him and all who voted for Johnson and Stein and I don't see this going away until he and Pence are gone. 

• Love 18

Instead of continuing to be depressed about Trump, I'm going to take time to celebrate

my new state senator Tammy Duckworth.

Not state senator, US senator.  And I am so happy she won!  And you're right, I have things to celebrate in my state, too, and need to take time to do that.  As I just emailed a despondent friend, other than the death penalty statutes disaster (and, you know, our many popular and electoral votes for Hillary being all for naught), things went well in CA.  We legalized marijuana, expanded parole options for non-violent felons and authorized sentence credits for rehabilitation and education, put decisions on trying juveniles as adults in the hands of juvenile court judges, banned single-use plastic bags being handed out in stores (something already in place in many cities here that will now be state-wide), protected a source of Medi-Cal funding, extended a tax that funds education and healthcare, repealed the ban on bilingual education, implemented gun control measures, and elected Kamala Harris to the Senate.

• Love 11

You know what's making me angry? How people are starting to act like, okay, it's over, now we need to come together and support each other etc., blah blah blah...I mean, did they watch the same election I did????? This monster and the people behind him are evil.  This was not a normal election where you have differing political beliefs but try to respect each other as best you can. 

I'm going to be honest. I don't know how to fix this. But I have to hope that smarter, more diplomatic minds than mine are trying to figure it out. The idea of "waiting it out" is foolish. Not only can a lot of damage be done before those supposed backwards generations die off, but they're instilling those same ideologies and values into countless young people. The time has come for changing minds and making people listen. The time has come for education and compassion. People have to understand their history. People have to understand exactly what they're advocating. You can't rail against X, Y, Z scary people and hold the moral high ground when you truly understand the rights you're denying people and the violence you're advocating. We have to say it over and over until it starts to get through. 

We cannot act like this is the new normal and blame the game of bipartisan politics and the typical rhetoric that gets trotted out. I agree with that. We have to make moderate Republicans and apathetic Democrats and whatever groups aren't poisoning themselves and the rest of us by feeding on fear and hatred understand THIS CANNOT HAPPEN AGAIN.

• Love 6

Ok so Im clearly grasping at straws here but for the longest time I thought Trump's candidacy was a ruse cooked up by both Trump and Hillary (they were friends at one point) to ensure her victory.  Now I think the ruse was to ensure HIS victory. Like wouldnt he be the perfect Trojan Horse.  Use the worst parts of the Republican Party to get himself elected and then actually work from within to help the common man.  No? Ok yeah that was the wishfullest of wishful thinking ever.

• Love 5

I have enjoyed this board to post about TV and media and stuff. But this political section has really been a life saver for me yesterday and today. I would have torn my hair out by now if I hadn't this place to read and post and vent. 

Thank you guys for all your great posts!

• Love 14

Well I've stopped crying, but now it's just a numbness.  I've always loved history and especially Presidential history.  We've had some real losers before, but this is a real shitstain on our history.

He has no plan.   As soon as those jobs he promised do not appear out of the sky, the people who voted for him will turn, bitching at their reps and senators.  Because you have some that are lifers, they want to retain that job and will put the heat on the Orange one.  Midterms will be telling.

I wonder how many who voted for the Orange are actually using some form of ACA.  Probably don't even realize they will be cut off.  Reminds me of a picture of a Tea Party rally where a woman had a sign saying "Government get out of My Medicare".    She wasn't talking about privatizing it - had no clue it was a government run program.  That's another scary thing, how many borderline illiterates we have in this country.  They hear a soundbyte and are all "oh it's the truth".  There's no real reading or in depth thinking in a lot of areas.

I've had a steady tv diet of Law & Order, daytime shows (Jer-ry), court shows, CSI Miami, and now sort of re-watching Pride & Prejudice.  None of it I've really watched.  Thank goodness for this forum, you've kept me sane (somewhat) today.  

• Love 13

I will add that this is the only safe place I can discuss these things, aside from very few close friends and my husband.  I am so grateful because I have been reading here all night and all day.  I could hardly eat today and I am still trembling.  And I am beyond sad and I can't find any distractions. My mind just keeps going back to it.  Becuase it will not go away and evil did win.  

Obama wrecked me today.  Hearing the sadness in his voice just wrecked me.  

• Love 9

As if I wasn't cynical enough, I'm feeling that those dollars that I contributed to Hillary's daily begging for support, all those hours I've spent online fighting on her behalf defending her against haters, and those few hours spent making phone calls at democrat headquarters and canvasing, then something malevolent is setting in. My mind is beginning to believe the conspiracy theories that Hillary was a pawn and part of the whole scheme of things to get him elected. That she was somehow a part of the 'new world order' plan to take over the world. She is after-all one of the top ten percent. It just all feels too unrealistic, too subversive and planned including the help of the media that put this man in the seat of the most powerful man in the world.

I'm over-reacting but those dark thoughts keep creeping into my brain.

Edited by HumblePi
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I decided to go to work today, regardless of how numb and angry I felt, and for my maturity, I was rewarded by a bunch of my coworkers gloating over Trump winning.

I am so grateful I live in a county that went more than 2-1 for Clinton and an office where *everyone* was in mourning. People admitted that they were looking at jobs overseas, someone suggested that we open a branch in Australia just so we could all leave, we even opened a bottle of leftover champagne at lunch as a sort of wake, since America committed suicide last night. But she had a good run.

I appreciate this thread. I don't feel better per se, but I just don't want to feel alone. And reading these responses, along with deciding to go to work today, has actually helped. Better to find good people to be around than to wallow in this pain.

• Love 12

I will add that this is the only safe place I can discuss these things, aside from very few close friends and my husband.  I am so grateful because I have been reading here all night and all day.  I could hardly eat today and I am still trembling.  And I am beyond sad and I can't find any distractions. My mind just keeps going back to it.  Because it will not go away and evil did win.  

Obama wrecked me today.  Hearing the sadness in his voice just wrecked me.  

Edited by Revlonred
  • Love 4

I am in Ca and some of us were black humor joking today that maybe CA should part from the Union.  I am hoping that maybe Ca can get some kind of AC thing going when the ACA goes bye-bye. Grasping at straws here.

If I could move anywhere I would choose New Zealand. It is so beautiful there.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I honestly don't understand where even the wheels of government (much less all of us) go from here.

This. The whole Trump "organization" is so inept and unqualified that I can't imagine how this transition will work. The Obamas should just leave the keys on the table and drive away.

• Love 10

In 2010, to fill the seat vacated by Ted Kennedy's death, there was a special election in Massachusetts. The GOP ran Scott Brown, a lightweight backbencher from the state Senate with hints of famewhoredom (he was a former nude model, his wife was a newscaster, his daughter on American Idol.) The Dems ran Martha Coakley, a solid but unexciting AG because it was understood that it waa 'her turn." She was a terrible campaigner, he was unrelenting. He won in a major shock victory that nobody saw coming.

The state Dems were shocked, but after the shock wore off they got their ass in gear, and from the ashes emerged Elizabeth Warren, who has been a far better senator than Coakley could ever have been. 

It can happen, people. We can use this as an opportunity. 

To quote Steve Winwood, "When there's noone left to leave you, even you don't quite believe you, that's when nothing can deceive you."

• Love 18

Thank you all so much for being here. I feel like there's a deep dark hole waiting to open up and swallow me. 

My co-worker today admitted he enjoyed the suffering of liberals. I replied that he just told me a lot about himself and refused to engage any further. To anyone out there gloating and lapping up those sweet lefty tears, well, you're showing the world who you are. 

• Love 23

For me, it's the EPA.  I know "government regulations" are bad words, but without clean water and breathable air, we're all dead.  I live in rural Iowa, and I worry about decreased oversight of large livestock confinements. 

For my friends, I worry about loss of health care, defunding of Planned Parenthood, and backward steps with regard to personal liberty, like gender equality and gay marriage.

What worries you?

• Love 6
Just now, NinjaPenguins said:

My co-worker today admitted he enjoyed the suffering of liberals. I replied that he just told me a lot about himself and refused to engage any further.

That is sick. Anyone who looks at half the country so terrified for its civil rights that they are CRYING and says "haha! Suckers! You lost!" is a sick, evil person.

• Love 24
39 minutes ago, Revlonred said:

How people are starting to act like, okay, it's over, now we need to come together and support each other

And what's the alternative? Civil war?

Like all elections, people will be upset for a week or so, and then life will get back to normal and everything will go on the same as before. It always does.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

But what if the clown only wants the title and lets Pence make all the decisions?  That's what concerns me.  Pence is just as extreme as those three and the republicans now have all three branches of government for at least three years. 

HumblePi:  I agree with your whole post and here's something else that makes me ill:  He's now eligible to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

callmebetty:  I loved your Stranger Things post.  May I share it?

But of course. We're all friends here.

• Love 1

I volunteer for a wildlife rehab center. Today, a turtle was brought in because unseasonably warm temps brought it out of hibernation and it got hit by a car. Every staff member was so upset and frustrated at the thought of a president who doesn't believe in climate change and who will do nothing to support wildlife refuges or preserve habitats. It was like a funeral for every patient in there today. It still helped a little bit to do something, but I was a zombie for most of it. This is plain old grief and I have no idea when it's going to subside. I can't turn on the television today. I have to leave the room if my wife does. I cancelled dinner plans tomorrow when one of the people backed out and I realized I'd be stuck with the person who wants to do nothing but complain about her awful job. Two words, honey: bigger problems.  

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

In 2010, to fill the seat vacated by Ted Kennedy's death, there was a special election in Massachusetts. The GOP ran Scott Brown, a lightweight backbencher from the state Senate with hints of famewhoredom (he was a former nude model, his wife was a newscaster, his daughter on American Idol.) The Dems ran Martha Coakley, a solid but unexciting AG because it was understood that it waa 'her turn." She was a terrible campaigner, he was unrelenting. He won in a major shock victory that nobody saw coming.

The state Dems were shocked, but after the shock wore off they got their ass in gear, and from the ashes emerged Elizabeth Warren, who has been a far better senator than Coakley could ever have been. 

It can happen, people. We can use this as an opportunity. 

To quote Steve Winwood, "When there's noone left to leave you, even you don't quite believe you, that's when nothing can deceive you."

This is OT but I remember Martha Moakley.  I was living off and on in Hopkinton at the time and I remember she was the prosecutor in a well-publicized trial against a British nanny accused of shaking little Matty Eapen to death.  As I recall, the nanny was found guilty but the judge imposed a really light sentence (something like a month?), after which she went back to England.   I left there shortly after the trial, but I do remember Moakley as being rather unexciting, so I wasn't surprised that Scott Brown won.