Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

My only tiny sliver of silver lining is being spared the stomach-churning spectacle of President Clinton being pilloried, investigated, impeached, and called a demon for four years. I was fully expecting nothing to get done during her presidency, but at least we wouldn't have stood to lose all the progress we've slowly and painfully gained in the last 50 years.

Emotionally, things for me are getting worse, not better. Online screening tests tell me I'm severely depressed, which feels about right.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 11

He may not be qualified, but I don't think Trump will just step back and let others decide. There were stories throughout the campaign about tensions with Pence and about his temperament and how he holds grudges etc. That's indeed where a lot of the uncertainty comes from, no one knowing how active he wants to be as President and what his agenda might be. He threw out that infrastructure program in his speech, I don't think the Republicans will love that, though the Dems in congress might go for it. I've read they've already scrubbed all that stuff about banning Muslims from immigrating into the country from his website, building that wall "was just a metaphor". They're already walking back all of that, and it's only the second day. How will the people who voted for these promises react to that?

And even Cheney, who arguably ran the country for quite a bit, ultimately lost some power in the Bush admin. At least it looked like it from the outside looking in: Cheney/Rumsfeld in the first term and a bit in the second and then once it started going south in obvious ways, Bush and Rice kinda started to step in and froze Cheney out and started to do what they thought was "damage control". So even if the people around Trump think he'll be easily led, that doesn't have to be the case. In the end, even Bush jr. broke away from Cheney to some extent. What any of that means for anything is anyone's guess, of course...

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Getting a little feeling back. Not enough, though. I want to do something to make life better . . . mine and others' . . . but this is a ball that's too big to handle. I know that bitching about what happened won't solve shit, that I can compare You-Know-Who unfavorably to comic book characters (short list: Atrocitus, Larfleeze, Sinestro, Hulk, Darkseid, M. Bison), but that doesn't do much except provide catharsis. All I can do is not say the really dark stuff I want to say, not because it would be taboo, but because I don't want to descend that far in my rage.

I am thinking of changing my avatar to this sketch I got in April. Right now, it's Deadpool by Steve Dillon, the only sketch I ever got from the co-creator of Preacher, who passed away last month.

imho Stick with Deadpool. I don't know who or what Deadpool is (sorry) but it sounds quite descriptive of how many are now feeling.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Padma said:

Is it wrong to imagine an uproar over Russia ADMITTING contact with Drumpf (repeatedly) and then the EC throwing it to Clinton?  Why, why, why won't the FBI report on this?  Will the media???  Where's our press????

Yes, Russia Was Close to Drumpf Campaign Advisors (Plural)

Seems like no one in the media cares, now. Collective apathy? Just burned out on it all? Don't think the story will get ratings? Pick your reason.

As for Russia, it is astoundingly typical of Putin's govt to admit to this. They thrive on confusion and misdirection. They have no qualms about brazenly admitting something horrible, and no qualms about brazenly lying when everyone knows they're lying. It's all part of Putin's strategy of uncertainty. 

Plenty of people have been saying for months that the links were there, but (and this is becoming the traditional refrain) Trump's supporters just did not want to listen.

• Love 8

lordonia . . . you know what would have happened had Hillary won? Nothing. Not a damn thing. She would push her agenda, only to get blocked by obstructionist Republicans, which is what has happened over the past six years. On the other hand, she wouldn't have to become the first President to get a perp walk, with Fox and YKW crowing about it. And if she wanted to get reelected, the Republicans would stumble in finding the best candidate to oppose her. Remember, those guys went from a war hero to an out-of-touch billionaire to counter Obama.

ETA: If Russia has taken part in the campaign and if the Electoral College rebels . . . well, that would be awesome. I mean, the nation would be divided, and no amount of drum circles could fix it, but at least we'd have somebody halfway sane in charge.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

The good news is that birds aren't nesting or having babies at this time of the year.

Neither are the squirrels fwiw. The second squirrel birthin' season (they have two litters per year) ended about a month or so ago. But why are all the trees coming down?!?!?!?!? :(

It's not just the humans I am terrified for under Trump. It's all the innocent critters and their habitats, too.

• Love 6

To the suggestion of just getting over it and trying to achieve unity during the Trump administration, fuck that. I want to hang on to my anger. I want to let the anger motivate me to do everything I possibly can to ensure that the next round of congressional elections results in more Dems in power, and that 4 years from now, the country overwhelmingly votes to remove Trump from office. My biggest fear (aside from the harm Trump and his cronies are about to inflict on the country at large) is that those of us who are angry right now will slide into a sense of apathy.

I am a white woman with good health insurance through my employer, and many of the changes we are likely to see during a Trump administration will not affect me personally. But they will affect my daughter, and even if they didn't, the overt racism, sexism, and homophobia exhibited by Trump and Pence are so offensive that any sentient being should repudiate them. 

As a side note, something a bit unexpected happened today. My son lives in Hong Kong, with his wife who is a native of Hong Kong, and their child. They have been trying for the past year to get approval for her to move with my son and their child to the States, in large part because the political situation in Hong Kong is getting hinky and looks to get even worse. It has taken a ton of paperwork and so forth, but she finally had her interview a couple of weeks ago. The immigration officer called them on Monday and said they still needed some additional documentation (essentially they wanted something saying my son would have a job over here, so she wouldn't starve once she moves). The day after the election, the same official called them back and said he has approved her request, but they need to move as soon as possible. My son and I are both interpreting the reversal on the additional paperwork to be that because of Trump's stance on immigration, the office handling requests is trying to expedite any that are still in the pipeline because policy may change dramatically.

• Love 23

One thing I really worry about Trump doing is doing what he and Republicans constantly screamed about Obama doing-- he will use an executive order to turn this nation entirely red (conservative), so that places which are normally blue and liberal (L.A., Chicago, etc.) will now have to become red, and will be forbidden from being blue. He may act like, "Obama used executive orders to try to turn this nation entirely liberal and force all of us to be liberal!" when what he apparently wants to do (and I might be wrong) is use executive orders to turn this nation entirely red.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Padma said:

Is it wrong to imagine an uproar over Russia ADMITTING contact with Trump (repeatedly) and then the EC throwing it to Clinton?  Why, why, why won't the FBI report on this?  Will the media???  Where's our press????

Yes, Russia Was Close to Trump Campaign Advisors (Plural)

I don't know why it's not everywhere, Padma (it  would be if HRC's campaign had been in contact with Russia). I always knew Trump was, at heart, a traitor to the USA in that all he cares about is lining his pockets and feeding his insatiable ego, and if he needs the help of a foreign power to do so, he'll do it  -- and do it bigly. And his followers will cheer him on anyway because the 1950s America they long to reclaim where women, gays and blacks knew their place (in the bedroom, in the closet and in the back of the bus) becomes magically stripped of the KGB, once headed up by Trump's best political fuckbuddy, Putin.  In the end, Trump's voters may have helped Russia win their ongoing Cold War.

Edited by film noire
"Orange Julius Caesar War" more historically accurate
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, glowlights said:

Neither are the squirrels fwiw. The second squirrel birthin' season (they have two litters per year) ended about a month or so ago. But why are all the trees coming down?!?!?!?!? :(

It's not just the humans I am terrified for under Trump. It's all the innocent critters and their habitats, too.

Send the critters to my backyard.  And then start a GoFundMe page for more cat food!  ;-)

Edited by walnutqueen
I WILL beg for food for the critters!!!
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

The good news is that birds aren't nesting or having babies at this time of the year.

But you know me, Ari333 - and I'd be chaining myself to one of those trees ...  ;-)

I know you would , WQ !

The little squirrels have nowhere to go.  If I could let them inside I would . I now, I know, they'll find another tree and build another drey. (sp?)

The birds have to go somewhere to sleep don't they? Sorry for the off topic. I'll take my tree rant to small talk.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, glowlights said:

even if the animals are not having babies now, they have to sleep somewhere. And IDK why they are chopping all that beauty down. It was lush and so pretty. I'm guessing money. So they don't have to get the leaves blown away.

Sorry guys for my disruption on the tree thing, but I'm feeling so many losses.. What looked lovely now looks dead and desolate.... the way I feel now. Ok, NOW off to small talk for further ranting about animals.....

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, honeydo7 said:

I am afraid during Trump's presidency, police shootings against unarmed black men, attacks on gay & transgender Americans, violence against women & children,burnings of black churches, mosques, temples, synagogues & planned parenthood clinics.  Because these racist, anti-semitic, bigots, claiming to be "Christian Patriots," think they now have the right to threaten, injure or harm people,Trump has repeatedly told them are"Un-American," "Un-Christian,"  "Illegal," or "Terrorists." While Republican politicians in Congress & across the country defend these horrific incidents, saying "no worries..... just good old boys out having fun!"  DonaldTrump is not & will NEVER be my president!

Oh it's coming and I won't waste one ounce of concern until I know who they voted for. I saw all those protest and rolled my eyes. But then I realized that the protestors  were in states that Hillary won so I gave them all the benefit of doubt that they pulled the lever for her.   Because if you're bitching now because the old white lady was too " evil"to vote for then suffer away. There were only two people who had a chance of winning, that was known going in. I don't care about any we should of picked Bernie whining if you sat home or chose pothead Johnson. You should have picked the "evil" corporatewhite lady, and then primaried her with a "real" young, energetic progressive in 2020.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4

Ok, I was able to blow off some steam by watching online the videos for the rap (song? is it a song?) Fuck Donald Trump.  Wrong.  Probably.  I'd never have thought of it with the Bushes, McCain, or Romney.  As someone said, they had a clue or some sort of plan.  Agent Orange - nah.

Now he's playing nice?  He's a con man through and through.  Never trust him, never turn your back on him.

Talking with someone earlier, who said he has no idea what it all entails.  None.  Nope.  Probably started out as a way to promote his brand, stroke his massive ego.  Now he's just basking in the "glory".  When the hard work comes and more criticism rolls in, he won't like this at all.  I could see him quitting.

Then, sigh, we have Pence.  Surely someone has dirt on him?  I mean all these "I'm so religious" anti gay, anti women people always seem to have a huge scandal.  Thinking of the preacher who said those in the Orlando shooting deserved it, only to be charged a month later with molesting young boys.  There have been many more.

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, Padma said:

Is it wrong to imagine an uproar over Russia ADMITTING contact with Trump (repeatedly) and then the EC throwing it to Clinton?  Why, why, why won't the FBI report on this?  Will the media???  Where's our press????

Yes, Russia Was Close to Trump Campaign Advisors (Plural)

The sad thing is that even if corporate media did report on it, I won't be watching.  I know that Rachel and LOD have been beating this drum for weeks, but I just can't bring myself to watch MSNBC right now.  I know that Rachel will keep fighting the fight in her own way and I fear for her and other journalists who have been telling the truth about that nectarine nightmare for months.  I just can't with MSNBC, which has become Fox-lite.

It highlights the hypocrisy of President Obama's detractors.  Obama has been tarred with the "He's not one of us" brush by race-bating haters like Sarah Palin, John Sununu and Newt Gingrich.  Not to mention the hordes of voters who were more than willing to buy into that nonsense.  Meanwhile, Drumpf's campaign have been consorting with our enemy for his and Putin's gain.  Not only that, Drumpf couldn't even bring himself to openly criticize Putin even during the debates.  Even more illuminating, I heard that Putin was the first foreign leader to call and congratulate him. 

And, that SOB Comey couldn't even bring himself to sign off on a report by other intelligence agencies that Russia was trying to influence our election.  Why?  Did he ever given a logical explanation for this?

I know that there's enough blame to go around (including the candidate herself and her close advisers) for this devastating loss, but I have to say it:  WE WUZ ROBBED!

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

I actually happened to hear in Trump's acceptance speech for the Republican nomination the very words "I will protect LGBT people from ISIS!"*

*Yeah, right-- only in so far as you change and become no longer LGBT.

That's what I was thinking as soon as I heard those words come out of his mouth!

Thank you! I had forgotten about that one. I remember now it was a huge feather in the cap of supporters trying to pedal him as some progressive or savior to LGBT causes.

Nevermind that ISIS poses no immediate threat to LGBT people in America (outside of the general threat they pose to the entire populace). Instead its the law makers and politicians in the US that do. Those are the people the LGBT rights movement have had to fight all these years to get what they've gotten. I wish he had said he'd protect LGBT people from his ghoul of a running mate. Now that would have been something. 

Gosh to go from Obama to this. The Canadian coverage of the election had some amazing panelists making some amazing points. One of the most poignant ones for me was when she noted. That not long ago the White House was bathed in rainbow light for a historic win for minority rights and now someone who believes in conversion and shock therapy is in there....

The protests give me hope though. I see his supporters saying what is the point and that they are meaningless. They are not! Make your voices heard (safely). 

Edited by Couver
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

Ok, I was able to blow off some steam by watching online the videos for the rap (song? is it a song?) Fuck Donald Trump.  Wrong.  Probably.  I'd never have thought of it with the Bushes, McCain, or Romney.  As someone said, they had a clue or some sort of plan.  Agent Orange - nah.

Now he's playing nice?  He's a con man through and through.  Never trust him, never turn your back on him.

Talking with someone earlier, who said he has no idea what it all entails.  None.  Nope.  Probably started out as a way to promote his brand, stroke his massive ego.  Now he's just basking in the "glory".  When the hard work comes and more criticism rolls in, he won't like this at all.  I could see him quitting.

Then, sigh, we have Pence.  Surely someone has dirt on him?  I mean all these "I'm so religious" anti gay, anti women people always seem to have a huge scandal.  Thinking of the preacher who said those in the Orlando shooting deserved it, only to be charged a month later with molesting young boys.  There have been many more.

YES.

I had the tv on and was unable to change the channel fast enough . I heard a few words from, rump. (Lower case "r" intended) He sounded sedated like someone put him on a sedative or something. Not that sedatives are evil, just interesting in this case... and the timing. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Couver said:

Thank you! I had forgotten about that one. I remember now it was a huge feather in the cap of supporters trying to pedal him as some progressive or savior to LGBT causes.

Nevermind that ISIS poses no immediate threat to LGBT people in America (outside of the general threat they pose to the entire populace). Instead its the law makers and politicians in the US that do. Those are the people the LGBT rights movement have had to fight all these years to get what they've gotten. I wish he had said he'd protect LGBT people from his ghoul of a running mate. Now that would have been something. 

Gosh to go from Obama to this. The Canadian coverage of the election had some amazing panelists making some amazing points. One of the most poignant ones for me was when she noted. That not long ago the White House was bathed in rainbow light for a historic win for minority rights and now someone who believes in conversion and shock therapy is in there....

The protests give me hope though. I see his supporters saying what is the point and that they are meaningless. They are not! Make your voices heard (safely). 

BBM

Yes to your whole post, but big ole yes to the bolded (by me). BBM

I hope to hear more chanting and see more signs waving. I did wonder what those 15 people in NY did in the protest to get arrested. I thought peaceful protests were legal.  

• Love 1

I will never, ever look at this country the same way again, no matter what happens. This is one of the biggest tragedies in history. I hold onto the fact that Hillary won the actual votes to see that the majority didn't want this, but I weep for the future. More of his type will come and our institutions and the Constitution itself is in grave danger. I feel outright despair. More so because I am in real fear that the Republican party is going to fall to fascism and the total subversion of democratic norms. If both of our parties do not stand up for our way of life, we are in huge, huge trouble.

The only hope is abolishing the electoral college.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, glowlights said:

Okay! How big is your backyard? All the wild horses are going to need safe harbor. And how do you feel about burrowing owls?

My backyard is not nearly as big as my heart, but it's a fuckin jungle out there and I have 3 bedrooms full of junk someone could empty into a dumpster to make stalls for the horsies.  I love all animals, but owls are particularly deeeelightful.

Back when I was doing songbird rescue, my girlfriend housed a bunch of baby barn owls in her bathtub, and every time I went to pee they'd rock back on their little heels, snake their baldy pink heads back & forth, and HISS very loudly at me.

This election makes me want to hiss like a baby barn owl.

• Love 6

Baby barn owls unite! hehehe. Big hugs, WQ

I think I'm going to deal with my immediate anxiety by putting in some South Park DVDs and vegging out. And also, I cant wait to see what Family Guy and South Park do with Trump. At least I can enjoy that. It will be brutal and I will love every minute of it. There . I said it.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I will never, ever look at this country the same way again, no matter what happens. This is one of the biggest tragedies in history. I hold onto the fact that Hillary won the actual votes to see that the majority didn't want this, but I weep for the future. More of his type will come and our institutions and the Constitution itself is in grave danger. I feel outright despair. More so because I am in real fear that the Republican party is going to fall to fascism and the total subversion of democratic norms. If both of our parties do not stand up for our way of life, we are in huge, huge trouble.

The only hope is abolishing the electoral college.

BBM

So. MUCH. WORD.

(YES)

I feel anxiety for HRC. To lose after all this must feel horrible; but to lose to that orange turd must be extra devastating.

I also feel for Obama , having to be civil and cordial to this jackass. It's the right thing to do  but I cant imagine that it is easy.  

• Love 12

My cousin and I met today for lunch and for emotional support.  He's my age and has opposite political views than his parents who are conservative Republicans.  He's more a pragmatic, centrist Democrat.  He said that he was disappointed they voted for Trump because it isn't in their best interests.  His father is close to retirement and his mother has numerous health problems that date back decades.  She's been on her husband's health insurance for almost 20 years because of how difficult it would have been for her to get health insurance coverage prior to Obamacare on her own with all her pre-existing conditions. 

We live in Wisconsin and asked if my father had voted for Paul Ryan in the House.  I told him no because my father loathes the man, whom he views as a phony and not working for Wisconsin's best interests.  He thinks that the Ryan/Trump relationship will be interesting.  Over the top Midwestern nice from Ryan in public but in private and behind closed doors with the potential to become Trump's own Inspector Javert. 

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, ari333 said:

even if the animals are not having babies now, they have to sleep somewhere. And IDK why they are chopping all that beauty down. It was lush and so pretty. I'm guessing money. So they don't have to get the leaves blown away.

Sorry guys for my disruption on the tree thing, but I'm feeling so many losses.. What looked lovely now looks dead and desolate.... the way I feel now. Ok, NOW off to small talk for further ranting about animals.....

So sorry about the trees.  I don't know about squirrels, but birds only use nests for laying eggs and raising babies.  They sleep roosted on a branch, on one foot.  They'll find a place to sleep tonight. :-)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

I'm immediately reminded of a segment on CNN (sigh, CNN...) a few weeks ago where one of the reporters was out interviewing people waiting outside a Trump rally somewhere. He was talking to this middle-aged couple who, among other things, criticized Obama for taking time to campaign on Hillary's behalf. They were outraged at the idea, because that has never happened. No president actually campaigns on behalf of a candidate for election. How dare he? The reporter gently tried to inform them that, yes, this has happened, happens all the time, for example Reagan was out for George H.W. Bush back in '88, and the couple just vehemently insisted that that never happened, it doesn't happen and Obama is completely out of line. They were fact-checked right to their face and they still didn't believe what they were being told.

That's because it's only wrong when the Black guy is doing it.  I remember the pearl clutching that occurred when President Obama was pictured with his feet on the desk in the Oval Office.  Oh, and there was another picture of him dressed casually--blue oxford shirt with rolled up sleeves and no tie and jacket.  These folks lost their damn minds and had to be fact-checked with pictures of their patron Saint Ronnie with his feet on the desk and dressed casually.  Even in the face of photographic evidence, there was still grumbling in some quarters that Obama should have more respect for the office.  It's just like Joe Scarborough squawking about Obama playing golf at "elite" courses.  What the actual fuck?  He's the President of the United States!  Where else would he be playing?  But, I guess Joe would feel more comfortable if Obama was playing at some broken down course in some inner city neighborhood.  

I don't even bother with people like this.  They believe what they want because it's more comfortable for them to squawk and complain about anything Obama does, no matter how nonsensical.  

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I think I'm going to deal with my immediate anxiety by putting in some South Park DVDs and vegging out. And also, I cant wait to see what Family Guy and South Park do with Trump. At least I can enjoy that. It will be brutal and I will love every minute of it. There . I said it.

South Park has been "covering" the election, with Mr. Garrison standing in for YKW and Caitlyn Jenner as his running mate. A lot of this season has hinged on Member Berries; sentient fruit that reminds people of the past in a favorable way. If those things existed, I would totally blame them for what happened to us.

I kinda wish Obama would be a lot colder, especially since his successor (pause while vomit builds in mouth) constantly claimed he was not an American. But that's the burden of being the standard bearer. He can't bring himself to ruin the chances of somebody who's not 100 percent white, so he won't even have his dogs have an "accident" on YKW's leg.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

I shudder to think how they will try to make over the White House to mirror the gaudy and tacky furniture and furnishings they've become accustomed to.

21 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I do think there are limits to how far they can redecorate. They can't just spray all the walls gold.

Please, when has he ever had to follow the rules? 

First, he will replace all the white with pink marble, then will affix giant gold letter in the front that that spell TRUMP.  He will then replace the Lincoln Bedroom Suite with a giant rotating 360 degree water bed.  I also imagine a "yuge" hot tub in the rose garden, where he will invite all the leaders of the world to unwind.  All female white house staff will wear Hooter waitress outfits that he will personally inspect to make sure their looks are "up to par".

I also believe he will keep all of his promises to the people who voted for him...the same day he can make winged unicorns fly out of his ass.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Please, when has he ever had to follow the rules? 

First, he will replace all the white with pink marble, then will affix giant gold letter in the front that that spell TRUMP.  He will then replace the Lincoln Bedroom Suite with a giant rotating 360 degree water bed.  I also imagine a "yuge" hot tub in the rose garden, where he will invite all the leaders of the world to unwind.  All female white house staff will wear Hooter waitress outfits that he will personally inspect to make sure their looks are "up to par".

I also believe he will keep all of his promises to the people who voted for him, the same day he can make winged unicorns fly out of his ass.

Those winged unicorns are flying out of his lying ass straight to my backyard, where they'll at least be fed.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, film noire said:

I don't know why it's not everywhere, Padma (it  would be if HRC's campaign had been in contact with Russia). I always knew Trump was, at heart, a traitor to the USA in that all he cares about is lining his pockets and feeding his insatiable ego, and if he needs the help of a foreign power to do so, he'll do it  -- and do it bigly. And his followers will cheer him on anyway,  because the 1950s America they long to reclaim where women, gays and blacks knew their place (in the bedroom, in the closet and in the back of the bus) becomes magically stripped of the KGB, once headed up by Trump's best political fuckbuddy, Putin.  In the end, the Russians may have won the Cold War.

This is the maddening thing!  Hillary has a server that "might have been hacked by our enemies" but WASN'T.  Trump has a secret server in Trump Tower that connects to Russia directly and it's "no big deal". 

Putin gets Russian intelligence to hack into Democrats' email, gives them to Assange to release for Trump to use against her and it's "no big deal".

The FBI Director won't sign on with 17 intelligence agencies about Russia covertly influencing a U.S. election for Trump--and he won't talk about investigation into Russian ties to the Trump campaign--but he influences the election for Republicans by putting out harmful rumors about Clinton's email (then "oops!" nothing to see there!)

Today we learn that the Russian government has had MANY contacts with SEVERAL high ranking Trump campaign officials. 

Could it be any more obvious that RUSSIA interfered with our election to throw it to Donald Trump????  He STILL lost the popular vote (but oddly defied every single poll--including his own--to win the electoral college).

An election was stolen. This guy with connections to RUSSIAN intelligence, is about to begin a series of classified intelligence briefings.

Yet the media spends HOURS on his photo ops today in DC.   I despair!!!!!

(I hope it's okay to link this again, but everyone should know!!!!)

Russia Tied to Trump Campaign

And WHO ARE all these Trump insiders with close ties to the Russian government? He's going to be President!!!! Is he a Fifth Column?  Don't American citizens deserve to KNOW what these connections are????

Edited by Padma
  • Love 15

Here are the Washington Post and the New York Times on the Russian diplomat story. From the latter:

Later, the Foreign Ministry in Moscow said Mr. Ryabkov had been referring to American politicians and supporters of Mr. Trump, not members of his campaign staff. The contacts were carried out through the Russian ambassador in Washington, who reached out to the senators and other political allies to get a better sense of Mr. Trump’s positions on various issues involving Russia.

I am somewhat withholding judgment on this story for now because it's still developing, but: Which senators? Names, please.

My attempts to not cry today failed before I even got out of bed. Maybe tomorrow.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 7

I live in NYC; I spent my teen years at a Quaker boarding school in Ireland.  I have family and friends in Ireland and all over the rest of Europe.  Most of those friends have only visited the US (a few lived here, but most just did the vacation or business trips here).  I'm amazed at the number of Facebook posts I've seen from these people and the loud concern they have.  It makes me wonder how G8 or other international meetings will go.

The other thing that these posts have pointed out to me is just how much they all know about how US elections work.  They know who the parties are and what each parties' planks are.  They know about the Electoral College.  They know about the primary system.  They know about (& have questioned me about) the importance of Iowa and New Hampshire during the primaries.  

I'm not a PhD holder (I only have an Associates), but I know about the political systems in Ireland, England, and many of the other European countries .  I learned about them during secondary school and I've kept myself educated on which leaders are in which party.  I'm truly truly frightened at how little many Americans know about the politics of our allies.  I fear that'll only get worse and worse over time.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, candall said:

THIS POST NEEDS TO GO GREEN IMMEDIATELY!!!

I've been dealing so hard with my own fears and anxiety, I was thinking I'd accomplished a little something this morning when I finally managed to pause the political television/internet discussions and tried to watch stupid Survivor, even though it took me four false starts because "AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  SO not important!"

You are awesome, Shannon L.  And I think this is exactly what Hillary was talking about in her concession speech--WE have to watch out for/protect each other and people who are being threatened (because the gov't sure won't be.)

I'm printing out your post to stick on the fridge.

Good job.  Thanks.

Wow. Thank you, candall, and everyone who liked my post.  I have to say that I don't expect a lot of calls given that I live in a safe, dark blue, area of CA, but I had to put it out there because there is still some fear here and I would do it even if I lived in one of the deep red states. 

Here's something that scares me:  I saw that 53% of the white women in the country voted for Trump.  That means that  all of them who have or will someday have sons are possibly perpetuating the idea that "locker room talk" is ok and that "boys will be boys".  My God, are we still that far from fixing this behavior? 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Wow. Thank you, candall, and everyone who liked my post.  I have to say that I don't expect a lot of calls given that I live in a safe, dark blue, area of CA, but I had to put it out there because there is still some fear here and I would do it even if I lived in one of the deep red states. 

Here's something that scares me:  I saw that 53% of the white women in the country voted for Trump.  That means that  all of them who have or will someday have sons are possibly perpetuating the idea that "locker room talk" is ok and that "boys will be boys".  My God, are we still that far from fixing this behavior? 

Yup, very far. I have heard so many women defend this using those exact phrases. They even applauded it because they are tired of "pc" culture. 

• Love 5

Yesterday's bewildered daze has lifted a bit, and while I am, indeed, going to give myself a long weekend of mourning, I have committed to getting back in the trenches next week. 

Including helping conduct a Legal Observer refresher training course for those who've been trained and served as one previously but not in a while (colleagues will simultaneously give a training course for new Legal Observers).  If you're unfamiliar, Legal Observers are deployed to protest marches and other public demonstrations to serve as the eyes and ears of the legal team defending the rights of demonstrators.  They observe and document the activities of law enforcement and interaction between law enforcement and demonstrators (arrests, uses of force/intimidating displays of force, interference with access to public spaces, etc.).  This trained documentation is so helpful to lawyers needing to evaluate the constitutionality of government conduct (when representing demonstrators who were arrested, bringing a civil action against the police, etc.).

The National Lawyers Guild, the ACLU, and other civil rights organizations offer Legal Observer training around the country, so if it's something you may be interested in doing, now is a good time to check if training is being offered in your area any time soon.

• Love 14

I wonder how long it will take our Orange Overlord to create a dummy logging business and begin chopping down the remaining old growth redwoods around here, to line his pockets with more ill-gotten gains?  You just know he's going to declare public parks of all types open for business.  Anyone want to make any bets?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, hoosier80 said:

Yes, I was thinking the exact thing about Pence a few days. He's too ultra conservative to not have a predeliction for something . 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

I think this is absolutely correct.  What's been driving me crazy about the result is not the party affiliation of the winner.  It's how completely devoid of content his entire campaign was.  No real plans, no real solutions.  Just constantly restating the "problems" (immigration, jobs, terrorism, the ACA) and saying "I'll fix it.  Trust me.  I know how to do this."  Any specifics were ridiculous to the point of being unbelievable.  Stop immigration with a wall.  Ban/extreme vet all Muslims coming into the country to end terrorism.  Tell China to stop raping us.  Concerning prosperity, he made meaningless claims like we'll have so much prosperity we'll be begging him to make it stop already!  Hyperbole to the extreme. 

But in the repetition these empty claims somehow became fact.  He said he knew how to do it so many times he was never asked to demonstrate that he could.  He said we could trust him so many times he became trustworthy.  Like an infomercial where they show you a flimsy piece of plastic pulling a pickup truck so many times that you believe that it can, despite having a better than basic understanding of tensile strength.  Then he wrapped it all up with "HURRY!  THIS INCREDIBLE DEAL WON'T LAST!"

The thing is, I'm not so sure he even understands that he pulled a huge con.  I think he has a habit of oversimplification and a sense of grandiosity that makes him think HE would be able to deliver what others couldn't.  When in reality, he's no more qualified than Uncle Henry, who shouts similar sentiments about how to fix the country's problems at the television every night.

Well, he's the ultimate salesman.  As someone who used to do part-time telemarketing on behalf of Time-Life Libraries, one of the jobs of the salesperson is to convince the consumer that he NEEDS the product you're selling.  Even when the customer tells you she's broke, has to wait until her husband comes home to decide, or already has too many books as it is.  Time-Life discovered that most consumers hate making decisions for themselves and want the salesperson to nudge or make the decision for them.  We were trained to pounce on any objection or uncertainty that the customer had.  We had two scripts to work from.  One was a pitch for the great books and series of books based on what we knew the customers' reading habits were.  The second script contained responses to typical objections that customers may raise.  "I can't afford it." Says the customer.  "Oh, you can't afford it, Mrs. Johnson?  Well, that's WHY we send you the book and you can examine it for 30 days.  If you don't like it, you can always return it.  But, if you find that you DO like it, then you can go ahead and BUY it!  Okay?"  "Okay!" Says the customer.  "Well, my husband and I typically make these decisions together."  "That's WHY we send you the book to examine for 30 days--so you and your husband can look it over together and THEN you can decide.  Okay?"  "Okay!" Says the customer.  "That's great!  Let me confirm your address.  Do you live at 3535 Sucker, er, Sycamore Street?"

We discovered even with those books, most people are too lazy or busy to return the books even with free postage. Then more books in the series arrive like clockwork every 30 days until the series is complete.  Since the books were so great, they practically sold themselves anyway.

Now, imagine a skilled salesperson like Donald Drumpf, who is also a con artist.  Notice how fast he talks?  Notice the adjectives to describe his vague platform?  He tapped into voters' fears, discontent and insecurities.  He then fed them promises using a few patented phrases, all ending with, "I alone can fix it!"  "Okay!"  They said.  They didn't even ask about details, including cost and the amount of time it would take to fix the problems.  He stood on a debate stage and promised his supporters that should he become president, he would get a special prosecutor to look into Hillary's situation.  More red meat for the rabid Hillary haters who want her locked up.  But, it was like one of those added bonuses that a salesperson promises if you CALL IN THE NEXT 30 MINUTES!

Now, that he has sold the product and his duped customers bought it, his top advisers are trying to walk the promises back.  "Wellll...he won't really lock Hillary up."  "Welllll...that wall thing?  He only meant that in a metaphorical way!"  Never mind how stupid that sounds because how is someone going to pay for a "metaphorical" wall?  

Unlike Time-Life Books, Drumpf's promises were never real and they're not great products.  It was all bully bluster to fire up the base, including the alt-right.  At some point, they will figure out they've been duped and that the product they were sold is no more valuable than doo-doo soiled toilet tissue.  They will spend the few months trying to figure out if he really meant what he said while hoping and praying he does nothing to mess with their Social Security and Medicare.  The question is whether they will become violent when the reality of what they voted for hits them.

• Love 7

This Is Not America https://g.co/kgs/jJn6cv

Been listening to this and It's a Mistake by Men at Work.

Sample lyrics for This is not America:

This is not America, (sha la la la la)

A little piece of you
The little peace in me
Will die (This is not a miracle)
For this is not America
Blossom fails to bloom this season
Promise not to stare
Too long (This is not America)
For this is not the miracle

• Love 1