Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

From the NBC  website:

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg appeared to be wearing her dissent "jabot" on Wednesday —one day after an incredibly divisive and contentious presidential campaign ended in the election of Donald Trump.

When the justices took the bench this morning Ginsburg appeared to be wearing her "dissent" jabot.

Ginsburg wore the embellished collar ruffle meant to show disagreement and stray from the majority opinion on decisions before the high court. But there were no court decisions slated to go out on Wednesday.

• Love 20

I work for a public university so I'm fortunate enough to have good government worker insurance.  Same with my sister, which was useful before, but even more beneficial now with the uncertainty about what will happen with the ACA.  Our mother passed away last month from breast cancer, which had metasized and spread to her bones and lungs.  It's uncertain how much of it was genetic versus completely random, but it worries us.  We both plan on using that medical history to get mammograms done earlier.  Before we thought that waiting until we were 35 would be enough because there's was no way that Trump would get elected.  Now, we're both planning on getting them done ASAP within the next year to make sure we still have the protection of the ACA. 

One of her sisters married someone who has MS and all of their kids are either carriers or have the disease.  The oldest, a son, was diagnosed in early teens, and has tried to get on disability multiple times.  He's been denied because he doesn't have a significant work history and is able to work.  His real problem is that he has a shitty attitude and is lazy.  The longest he held a job is for maybe 18 months as a working adult.  One of his sisters was thought to be a carrier and was diagnosed with MS in her mid 20s.  As a result, she's decided not to have children.  Her sister is also a carrier.  It wouldn't shock me if all of them and their mother voted for Trump.  The mother, my late mother's least favorite sister, blamed Obama for her son's repeated denials for disability.  It's going to bite them in the butt when their insurance rates increase astronomically with the repeal of the ACA and it becomes more difficult to get disability under a Trump/Pence administration.  I'm going to miss my mother enjoying some schadenfreude at their expense.  

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Syd said:

Serious question. Is there anybody here that is happy with the Trump victory? I thought the liberalism was only in a few forum threads. But if I'm wrong, I'll gladly vamos. 

Hi Syd--

I think the serious answer is that the designated title of the thread is "The Election Anxiety Support Thread," so probably the majority of the posters are feeling anxious and most people are seeking and/or providing mutual support, irrespective of liberalism or conservatism.

Personally, I'm very anxious, and I'm doing my best to muster up some support for people who are even more anxious than I.  I noticed earlier someone posted that s/he "dropped by to gloat," so that's not a particularly helpful contribution within the context of the anxiety/support dialogue, but I'm wide open to someone who's happy about the results and willing to share--that person might have a perspective I haven't even considered.  As the mod noted, no one needs to justify an opinion, so no pressure, but uh, what's the encouraging word?

• Love 14
1 hour ago, parisprincess said:

To those (no one here) who say "Get over it" or "Time to move on", let me just say this: For over a year, that disgusting piece of shit offended me repeatedly, and now I'm suppose to forget about it in a day or two?

Exactly. I'll move on when I'm good and ready and not a minute sooner.

1 hour ago, maraleia said:

turn off CNN and MSNBC because they need to suffer for the horrible job they did in "covering" this election

Not even a hardship. It'll be months --maybe years -- before I can bear to watch them again.

I had a look at that Wiki of Trump's endorsements. I guess he's going to drain the swamp right into his Cabinet.

Edited by random chance
added something
  • Love 21
13 hours ago, potatoradio said:

I volunteer for a wildlife rehab center.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, Pixel said:

But dammit, give me 48 hours to wallow in misery before you tell me to suck it up. 

Yup.  I'm starting to bounce back, but not there yet.

11 hours ago, random chance said:

Wow that swamp is emptying out fast.

As a UF alumni, The Swamp only means Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I still feel cold, and it's not the weather. There is no amount of polish that can make the turd look better.

True story:  My grandmother was quite the character.  She wore jeans and smoked a pipe back in the 30s.  It did not matter when she was born, she always would have been 20-30 years ahead of her time.  She got invited to the wedding of the snoddiest snob in their small town (mostly everyone did it was that small) and all the great unwashed were expected to feel so grateful.  Gram found a lovely cow turd, let it dry out, gilded it (painted it with gold paint), and put a wall hook on it.  Snod was so delighted with it, it hung on her walls for decades.

8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And You-Know-Who tweeted about how bad the Electoral College was in 2012. Apparently, irony wasn't done kicking us in the balls for 2016.

The Electoral College was getting a good wind up.

4 hours ago, Iris987 said:

I can't believe that ignorant yam is going to be president. And while it won't impact me as directly as you guys, we are all global citizens and are all going to feel it when he makes some catastrophically stupid decision based on who looked at him cross eyed. And I'm just so sorry.

Thank you for caring about our politics and your sentiments.  And thank you for "ignorant yam".

38 minutes ago, molshoop said:

Ginsburg wore the embellished collar ruffle meant to show disagreement and stray from the majority opinion on decisions before the high court. But there were no court decisions slated to go out on Wednesday.

She really is the Notorious RBG.

I had on a mixed CD I burned years ago because I am on an all news blackout.  It had 21 Guns by Green Day.  The lyrics describe how I feel:

Do you know what's worth fighting for,
When it's not worth dying for?
Does it take your breath away
And you feel yourself suffocating?
Does the pain weigh out the pride?
And you look for a place to hide?
Did someone break your heart inside?
You're in ruins

I need some time to regroup and I am finally feeling that ripple.  It is barely there, but it is there.

My thoughts are not exactly cohesive.  And I may be taking liberties with spelling.   I lurve you guys.

Edited by DeLurker
Apologizes:
  • Love 11

@Syd if you are happy with the Trump victory, I would love to hear some encouraging words and some positivity about his upcoming presidency, because (speaking for myself) since we are facing this I really want to feel okay about it. So don't leave, give me something to be happy about :)

• Love 3

I looked up which Senators are up for re-election in 2018. There are five Democrats in red states who are going to have a tough re-election campaign. I will be living in Missouri again in just a couple weeks, which is where Claire McCaskill is going to be fighting for her seat. You can be damn sure I'll be volunteering for that campaign. You can find a full list of those up for re-election here. All this to say, once the sting wears off a little bit, start prepping for 2018 and let's fight like hell.

• Love 13

I also feel so disheartened.  I just try to tell myself that no one stays on top forever and no one stays on the bottom forever. The wheel will turn - maybe slowly, but it will turn...

From HRC's concession speech yesterday:

She appeared to choke up as she addressed women, in particular, nodding to the historic nature of her candidacy.

“I want you to know that nothing has made me prouder than to be your champion,” she said. “And to all the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.”

Why HRC wore purple for her concession speech:

Purple -- along with white and gold -- are the colors of the National Women's Party according to the New York Times. An early statement by the party stated that purple symbolizes "loyalty, constancy to purpose, unswerving steadfastness to a cause."

From Paul Ryan's 'sucking-up' press conference yesterday: 

"Look, it’s not just the health care law that we can replace, because we now have shown the willingness and the ability to do it. There are so many more things that I am excited about. Think about the laid-off coal workers now who see relief coming. Think about the farmers here in Wisconsin who are being harassed by the EPA in the waters of the USA. Think about the ranchers in the west who are getting harassed by the Interior Department or the laid-off timber workers."

From Bernie Sanders' statement yesterday:

“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 15
6 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Wow, so yeah- it's going to be pretty difficult for them to just toss away the ACA altogether. Huh. And it seems to me like they really can't do it with no plan to replace it, or it's a full on catastrophe. Which means if they really want to do this they HAVE to come up with their own health care plan. And not only that, but it will take at least two years to get all that together- but McConnell says they'll do it in the first week? How? Hmmm. It actually looks to me like their easier bet would be to just stop defending it in the courts and chip away at it that way. Any drastic action is going to cause a massive disruption, that would be far more disruptive than implementing it was.

I don't know if they do it. I assume they're going to figure out how hard it is, if they think it's just going to be easy.

Just remember, Trump's plan is to replace the ACA with "something terrific." Shouldn't we all be excited about that? That sounds really well thought out and like it will fix any glitches that the ACA was still in the process of working out, right? He also said he planned to privatize health care again and he would do "something to help the poor people." Doesn't that give you confidence that we'll have the best health care system in the world?

Clearly, I'm being completely sarcastic. The man has no clue what to do about healthcare - the ironic thing is, if he tears apart the ACA and replaces it with something shitty, it will impact a fair number of his supporters as well. How are they going to feel about either having no health care or about having to pay a ton for it? How are they going to feel about getting substandard coverage because a lot of doctors and medical facilities may not opt to accept whatever he comes up with? Are they finally going to start to wake up and realize their stupidity and ignorance in voting for this man? Once his "policies" or lack thereof, start to affect everyone in this country, including Trumpsters, they had better realize the mess they put us in and they should be ashamed.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 24
8 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I also feel so disheartened.  I just try to tell myself that no one stays on top forever and no one stays on the bottom forever. The wheel will turn - maybe slowly, but it will turn...

From HRC's concession speech yesterday:

Why HRC wore purple for her concession speech:

From Paul Ryan's 'sucking-up' press conference yesterday: 

From Bernie Sanders' statement yesterday:

They can oppose him all they want, it won't make a difference. They have no power. He has no reason to care about the continuances he offended because he won the presidency without them. He was rewarded. 

• Love 3

I'm actually feeling better today. Oh, I still don't like it, even from my bubble of white privilege, but we have no choice but to move on. There's another election in two years, another chance to get power back in Congress.  The fact that Sarah Palin may be in a cabinet position irks me to no end, but I've realized that except for election years, I don't hear much about those people anyway.

So, I won't be bitching much anymore.  I'll be dealing.  I'm bummed that I may have to take a hiatus from Samantha Bee and The Daily Show, because as much as I love them I just don't think I can take the constant reminders.  Time for happy bubble until it's time to vote again.

I will say this of my journey this election:  I wanted Bernie badly. I was unbelievably mad and disappointed when Hillary was the nom. And I do think there was chicanery surrounding that. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I do think manipulation happened there. In any case, I accepted her. Grudgingly at first, and then I found that the things to admire outweighed the things to hate about her.  And literally trumping all of that was the fact that the change candidate was Trump.  A misogynistic bigot.  I hate him so much it made her look worlds better than I normally would have given her credit for.  But after this, I like her better than I did when this all started.  I would have been ok with it.

We will survive and come out better and more determined than ever.

• Love 11

I'm still angry but my rage is starting to calm, although I don't think I'll ever come to terms with what happened and it's going to be a long time before I ever have faith in my country again.

The one thing I keep thinking about, though, is which is going to be worse: Trump implementing some of his racist ideas, or failing to do so which could lead to his deplorables taking matters into their own hands, like those single digit IQ militia members. This is what scares me because so many people just don't get it, he got as far as he did due to fear mongering and if he doesn't deliver, people are going to get angry. I just keep thinking about all those militias who were "training" in case HRC won and how they're probably thinking it's OK now because grand wizard Trump is in office, but when some time passes and he hasn't done anything he promised, that fear and anger is going to explode.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, maraleia said:

Here's my ideas for the future-

turn off CNN and MSNBC because they need to suffer for the horrible job they did in "covering" this election

turn to progressive radio instead (suggestion WCPT in Chicago which you can stream online or via the Tune In app)

find progressives in your community and organize and/or join the protests that will likely continue in the streets

do not give him or his administration your time or energy except to fight back and this includes holding the Dems in Congress accountable, don't let them capitulate

ignore everything about a Trump White House except to make sure Melania doesn't ruin what the amazing Michelle started like the garden et al

if you can, run for office or support those who want to with your time, talent and if you can treasure because we have to take back state houses and the governor's mansions across the country and Congress in the next three years

volunteer at places like Planned Parenthood, there are lists of progressive non-profits circulating on twitter and sites like Jezebel

keep amplifying your voice on social media and only pay attention to news sources you trust and this means ignoring your Facebook news feed entirely

if a media outlet or late-night host panders to him and his family boycott them- the first place to start is Jimmy Fallon and People Magazine

also New Balance has endorsed his presidency, do not buy their products and boycott others if they throw their support behind him

tell those who voted for him, a third party or didn't vote at all to unfriend you on Facebook if you have a page there

if you see people living it up in, especially the rich neighborhoods, in your area know they voted for him or didn't vote at all, if you feel comfortable call them out on it

if you are white (like I am) and see white people with smug looks on their faces know they hate you as much as they hate POC because they voted for him and that includes women who backed him with 53 percent of the vote, make sure they know you won't support them when their lives get worse under his administration, they need to suffer for their folly because remember white people will be a minority soon enough

listen to young people who voted for Hillary because they hated him but really only supported her because they didn't want this to happen, they are our future and remember there are more millennials than baby boomers, their voices matter (I'm a Gen X'er and there are way too few of us to matter and we have to live with this knowledge)

keep a watch on your water supply and what's happening with our food supply and the environment above all issues because if we get sick because these things aren't regulated we're all fucked

stock up on plan b and if you can get an IUD to prevent pregnancies because Mike Pence will be going after abortion rights

LGBTQ peeps and our allies stay vigilant about equality and find grassroots organizations to join, ignore the Human Rights Campaign because they suck

I could go on and on but these are the things that are on my mind since Tuesday night

Thank you!  This entire post is epic.  I have already banned CNN and MSNBC for the next several weeks.  I blame them for its round-the-clock coverage of Drumpf's rallies, even interrupting scheduled programming to do so.  Every fool thing that came out of that Coral Caligula's mouth was covered ad nauseum.  No wonder Secretary Clinton had such difficulty getting her message heard.

I have been listening to Progressive Voices through Tune-In during my lunch hour for two years now, which is how I became acquainted with Senator Sanders and his "Lunch With Bernie" every Friday.  For those who were disappointed, I would strongly recommend carrying on Bernie's mission, which is to get out there and do things on the local level.  He has repeatedly pointed out that less than half the voting population voted in the midterm elections and that needs to change.  He also raised the alarm about the harm the Koch brothers have done by pouring money into local races--that's everything from your local school boards to your governors' races.  Don't sit by and let it happen.  

And, thanks for reminding us of people like Jimmy Fallon and publications that normalized Drumfp and his family's abhorrent behavior and views.  There's nothing lovable about ruffling that dead animal on his head.  I don't want to see Ivanka or Melania's "beauty secrets" in any magazine I read or how they should be admired.  They're as duplicitous as Drumpf is.  Nor, do I want to lessons from him or his loutish sons on how to invest.

I will always be mindful that the president-elect was proudly endorsed by the KKK; I know full well what that means.  It means that they wholeheartedly approve of his views on racial purity, religious bigotry and White supremacy.  I'm sorry, Jimmy Fallon, et al.  There are no acceptable levels of racism.  There just aren't.  There are certain lines of morality that one should never cross or refuse to cross.  Those views should be considered abnormal and outside the norm.  That's why I can't get down with folks all over FB now, who tell me we should join hands in unity and work with the new president.  Sorry, I'm not doing it especially when I know good and well they had no such goodwill in their hearts for the difficulties newly elected President Obama would face in 2008.  As I said to one, the man you support is a bigot who is evil and vile to his core, and I refuse to enable that by quietly accepting it, praying for him and pretending that everything will be okay. 

• Love 17

I agree I think a lot of Trump's supporters fell into one or more of the "deplorable" categories: racist, sexist, xenophobic, etc.  But the rest?  They're just as bad.  Selfishness and greed built this country and I always believe its whats going to bring it down. 

The whole GOP Establishment should be ashamed of themselves.  The last 2 people they've nominated were George Bush and Donald Trump.  THESE two jokers are the best you could do?   Not surprisingly, neither won the popular vote. 

And Ive never been one who believes that just because you have a college degree means you're automatically smarter than someone who doesnt (Bush graduated from Yale afterall) but I think its very telling that Trump won such a huge number of the non college educated population.  I would actually like to know what the percentage is of non educated people who identify as Republican vs Democrat.  The GOP IMO have found a way to get people to vote against their own well being.  Nobody in the GOP really gives a damn about factory workers, or healthcare for the uninsured.  Its only a big deal because its one of the things Obama tried to put his stamp on and since the day he stepped foot into Office they've tried to obstruct any and everything he's tried to do.  Its been one of the worst displays of partisanship in history...which I believe has a tinge of racism to it.

Lowering taxes (or if you're Trump not paying any taxes at all) and whatever lobbyists can pay them the most (NRA, Big Pharma, etc) are whats important to them.  

I think one of the things besides doing away with the EC is doing away with unlimited terms for those in Congress.  

• Love 12
17 hours ago, HumblePi said:

And you know what? I actually hope he does. I hope he goes full on tyrant with the republicans that wouldn't support him. I hope he goes on a litigation tirade after the women that came out claiming he touched them inappropriately. I hope he tries to do even half of what he has threatened to do even if it includes trying to send Hillary Clinton to jail. That will be a wake up call for everyone that he's actually as insane as we know he is.

I do too.  It won't amount to anything beyond making him look bad, and will keep him from acting on other, more dire parts of his agenda.

• Love 4

The one thing I keep thinking about, though, is which is going to be worse: Trump implementing some of his racist ideas, or failing to do so which could lead to his deplorables taking matters into their own hands, like those single digit IQ militia members. This is what scares me because so many people just don't get it, he got as far as he did due to fear mongering and if he doesn't deliver, people are going to get angry.

This is the glaringly obvious, inherently self-destructive problem with a campaign rooted entirely in fear-mongering and demagoguery. Fear is inextricably tied to anger. (Don't make me start quoting Star Wars up in here.) When people are led by the nose out of fear and the road ends up leading nowhere do you think they just stop being afraid? That they just let it go? No. They get angry. He stirred up a hornet's nest and we're all going to get stung.

That might be the most metaphor-heavy post I've ever written in my life. Sorry!

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

Thank you!  This entire post is epic.  I have already banned CNN and MSNBC for the next several weeks.  I blame them for its round-the-clock coverage of Drumpf's rallies, even interrupting scheduled programming to do so.  Every fool thing that came out of that Coral Caligula's mouth was covered ad nauseum.  No wonder Secretary Clinton had such difficulty getting her message heard.

No boycott them forever or until they jettison the pundits and most of their on air staff in favor of progressives not just now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

Glad that Trump won. 

But why? What, other than defeating HRC, do you think he's going to do to improve your life, the country, the world? 

I don't think we're going to make progress in this country or as humanity unless we can dial back our insistence on our right to spew hate and focus on "opinion equality." You're upset at a liberal agenda. I'm beyond terrified and horrified at the agenda I imagine will unfold as long as there's complete neocon power in Washington. We still have to share a planet and live and work and create our lives. Please tell me how DT is supposed to help us do that. 

• Love 23

I'm trying to steel myself for the coming United States of Jesus. The loving evangelical christians are now in full control and will have the weight of the federal government behind them. They've shown how anxious they are to direct hate and harassment to anyone who isn't a straight, white, male christian, and since I'm only one of those things, I'm afraid it's going to be a long, tough, four years.

• Love 8

So I'm not American but I think like a lot of people around the globe I am still reeling from this result. I'm thankful I don't have to deal with the immediate repercussions but I know that this regime will have an impact on a global scale.

I need this thread because I cannot deal with all the social media gloating and lies. The comment sections on the social media accounts of celebrities that supported Hillary are just gross right now.

How can his supporters have the nerve to call for coming together after the most divisive campaign in recent memory? And all of the back tracking and outright lies about things that were said and done. That he is not against minorities....that BLM and other organizations made that up. That because he held a rainbow flag at one press event he is the most pro LGBT president ever?!? With no comment on the political history of his VP and his feelings about LGBT issues....

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, maraleia said:

No boycott them forever or until they jettison the pundits and most of their on air staff in favor of progressives not just now.

Yeah I'm done with them. I don't alternatively want an echo chamber though, because that lulls you into a false sense of security. But I don't really care what they do, because I know I won't be able to stomach TV news for at least the next four years. They can go Full Trump Fanboy for all I will know or care.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Here's what I've done to help.  I have a friend who is a teacher in a city school with kids from all different backgrounds, economic status, religions, etc....and they trust her enough to open up to her.  Over 30+ years she's heard everything from abuse to incest to attempted suicides (and some students who succeeded) over the fear of "coming out", etc.  As early as yesterday, one of her students told her that a Muslim friend of theirs is so worried about walking into the mosque, he asked permission to come to their house, with an enclosed back yard, to do his daily prayers.  So, I told her that if she hears of anyone who is afraid to go to their mosque, or go shopping with their head scarf on, or afraid to walk into Planned Parenthood, or if there is a kid who simply needs someone to talk to, she can text me and I'll do what I can to work with that person's schedule and go with them or be the person they can sit and talk to.  As a stay at home mom with kids old enough to take care of themselves, I should be able to do that from time to time.

THIS POST NEEDS TO GO GREEN IMMEDIATELY!!!

I've been dealing so hard with my own fears and anxiety, I was thinking I'd accomplished a little something this morning when I finally managed to pause the political television/internet discussions and tried to watch stupid Survivor, even though it took me four false starts because "AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  SO not important!"

You are awesome, Shannon L.  And I think this is exactly what Hillary was talking about in her concession speech--WE have to watch out for/protect each other and people who are being threatened (because the gov't sure won't be.)

I'm printing out your post to stick on the fridge.

Good job.  Thanks.

• Love 19

One reason  for my anxiety , in addition to other posts previously is this. The proud way I feel about the flag, I was shocked at myself yesterday. My bf showed me a video on his phone of people protesting, screaming, "Trump is not my president" and burning the American flag. I took one look and said, "GOOD." I was shocked, but I meant it.

I also dread with anxiety and other bad feelings, Jan 20. I hope his inauguration is full of boos and a sea of protest signs waving.

I have always hated the electoral college, not just bc my person lost on Tuesday. I am an educated woman, but I guess I don't know too much about government bc I don't see how our individual (popular) votes matter. HRC received more votes, yet Rump is president-elect. I know that shows my ignorance on the subject. Maybe the EC served its purpose two hundred plus years ago. How do we get rid of it? That's my other point of anxiety. I don't know what to do.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

My anxiety comes from wanting to have Camille Paglia's columns printed off and handed out to people.

I've been familiar with Camille for decades; we're the same age.  I admire her for sticking with her own views no matter

how unpopular or in my opinion misguided.  She can't stand Hillary. She can't find one positive thing to say about her, but does find

good things to say about Trump.  That is not and never will be my kind of "feminism".

My beliefs are far more in line with Bernie's than with Hillary's.  But, he is too far to the left to have had any chance.  No true liberal is going to

get elected in this country.  I found that out when much to my shock that wonderful man with the great ideas, George McGovern lost.

• Love 9

I'm feeling better today.  I got into it with a couple of pro-Trump family members yesterday, in person and on Facebook.  I felt drained.  I read an interesting article about why Trump won.  Basically, the people in the rural, rust-belt states are angry because they are no longer a part of the middle class and they are angry at the "elites." They want to be able to earn a good living with a high school education.  They are not happy with same-sex marriage, abortion, etc.  I am no authority whatsoever, but it sounds like they want to turn back the clock.  

In some ways I feel free today. No pressure. I REALLY wanted Hillary to win.  But I know that if she had won, she would have faced a roadblock for everything she wanted to do (just like President Obama). Trump has made some HUGE vague promises and now he will have to come through.  Now we can just sit back and wait for him to fail.  I know that makes me sound bitter and small, but it's how I feel.  Already I heard someone on one of the morning news shows (Today? CNN?) say that, well, you can't take his promises literally.  Really?  I think his supporters do!

Sorry for the stream of consciousness.  I am so glad this thread is here.  I hope it continues in some way so we can continue the conversation. The live chat on election night was great!

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I'm trying to steel myself for the coming United States of Jesus. The loving evangelical christians are now in full control and will have the weight of the federal government behind them. They've shown how anxious they are to direct hate and harassment to anyone who isn't a straight, white, male christian, and since I'm only one of those things, I'm afraid it's going to be a long, tough, four years.

They've become the thing that they purport to hate - a radicalized religious group. I've heard their hatred first hand, from people I grew up with, one of whom is a pastor in a church.

• Love 6

I read an interesting article about why Trump won.  Basically, the people in the rural, rust-belt states are angry because they are no longer a part of the middle class and they are angry at the "elites." They want to be able to earn a good living with a high school education.  They are not happy with same-sex marriage, abortion, etc.  I am no authority whatsoever, but it sounds like they want to turn back the clock.  

Exit polls did say that 7 in 10 Trump supporters feel society was better in the 1950s than it is today. I'm sure they're just talking about jobs and the economy, though. Yeah, that's it.

But it's true that being a non-college-educated working class citizen is not the secure life that it was decades ago, and many of those jobs and even industries are becoming increasingly marginalized and automated and obsolete. But that's progress. It's improvement and innovation, not stagnation. Times change. You have to change with them or risk being left behind. That's just life. Always has been. You can't just "go back" to what worked back then and make it be enough for the now. Life doesn't work that way. Don't get me wrong, more needs to be done to improve and enrich the lives of the blue-collar and working class folks who are still struggling in the recovering economy, who may not know where they fit in the changing economy, whose blue collar roots are all they've ever known. They need help, and that needs to be a priority no matter who's in charge. But the notion of making America "great again" by turning back the clock is not only not feasible, it's not going to help anyone.

• Love 20
20 minutes ago, candall said:

THIS POST NEEDS TO GO GREEN IMMEDIATELY!!!

I've been dealing so hard with my own fears and anxiety, I was thinking I'd accomplished a little something this morning when I finally managed to pause the political television/internet discussions and tried to watch stupid Survivor, even though it took me four false starts because "AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  SO not important!"

You are awesome, Shannon L.  And I think this is exactly what Hillary was talking about in her concession speech--WE have to watch out for/protect each other and people who are being threatened (because the gov't sure won't be.)

I'm printing out your post to stick on the fridge.

Good job.  Thanks.

Your first step is to turn off TV news because they need to suffer ratings wise. Listen to Stephanie Miller and the gang on WCPT like I suggested.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, ari333 said:

[...]

I have always hated the electoral college, not just bc my person lost on Tuesday. I am an educated woman, but I guess I don't know too much about government bc I don't see how our individual (popular) votes matter. HRC received more votes, yet Rump is president-elect. I know that shows my ignorance on the subject. Maybe the EC served its purpose two hundred plus years ago. How do we get rid of it? That's my other point of anxiety. I don't know what to do.

I think there may be some helpful instruction on this shortly.  I either read--or heard him say--that Obama's post-presidential project was going to be addressing all that shameful gerrymandering that tortures the voting districts into ridiculous pretzel shapes for the sake of giving advantage to whichever party is in charge and has the authority to re-district.

It seems obvious the EC is just a larger, national version of the same situation.

How ABOUT everyone gets an equal vote and they all count?  Including, just to go crazy over the top with fairness, the residents of DC?  And the citizens of US Samoa, etc?

I think Obama has the currency to make it happen.

• Love 11

If you want to read something truly frightening, read Christian Nation by Frederic Rich - it's on Amazon.  It is an alternative history that has as its premise that McCain narrowly defeated Obama in 2008.  Then shortly after his inauguration, he has a heart attack and dies, leaving Sara Palin in charge.  Then there is a huge terrorist attack, bigger that 9-11, and the people are ready to go along with her on anything.  The author is a lawyer, and it can read sort of like a scholarly article at times, but what makes is truly terrifying is that all of the things that are enacted into law are things that have been proposed but didn't go through, and all of the people she taps for various positions are real, and quoted verbatim.  And now it all seems far more real.  Think Judge Roy Moore as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Your first step is to turn off TV news because they need to suffer ratings wise. Listen to Stephanie Miller and the gang on WCPT like I suggested.

No streaming available. Barely "page loading."

4 minutes ago, candall said:

Obama's post-presidential project

In all my grieving and fear, these words were such a tonic. Thank you. I hadn't even thought of Obama as a resource in fighting this disaster. But, duh, of course he's not the sort of person (nor is Michelle) to go quietly golfing as his country that he helped progress so much is derailed. Suck it, neocons, you can blame him all you want, but he's not going anywhere. Sort of having an Obi Wan moment: "if you destroy me, I will become more powerful than you can imagine." 

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, maraleia said:

I haven't watched any news channel since the election was called for the orange menace.  Part of the reason being for my physical and mental well-being, but also because CNN and MSNBC supported Trump by giving him all this free airtime and weren't critical enough of him when it counted.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Maybe the EC served its purpose two hundred plus years ago. How do we get rid of it? That's my other point of anxiety. I don't know what to do.

The electoral college, after all, is enshrined in our Constitution, which means getting rid of it requires a constitutional amendment. That's a two-thirds vote in both the House and the Senate and the ratification of three-fourths (38) of the 50 states.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/09/getting-rid-of-the-electoral-college-dream-on-democrats/

• Love 4

So let's fucking do it. Start to movement to get rid of it now. It's NOT democracy. Hillary won the vote, period. Other countries are appalled by us. A modern society does not give the election to the person who lost the vote. There is no reason to say only certain people's votes count. I'm furious about this.

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Yes. CNN gave Trump all that free publicity early on because Jeff Zucker thinks like an entertainment producer, and saw ratings. No responsibility to the electorate, just money to be made.

But people do have to be careful to not be too partisan in their information gathering. Because that's part of the reason why the world is becoming so polarised. You read a right wing article online, you share it on facebook, you like someone else's right wing article. Then facebook realises you like right wing articles, so suggests more. And more. And before you know it, you don't even see left wing articles any more. You don't even see moderate articles. And away from facebook, we all tend to read things that confirm our viewpoint, and try to ignore things that challenge it. I'm guilty of that, I think it's the natural way the mind works. But that's how we end up asking questions like "how could this happen?" after Brexit and this election.

If the news was actually impartial and factual like it used to be, then this wouldn't be such a problem. Sadly, none of it is.

• Love 11

We're people marching in the streets like this after Gore/Bush? I only ask because like I said, even then I watched the inauguration ceremony. I watched even then when I thought that the republicans and the Supreme Court stole the election. But this time it's different because that thing that just won the presidency has been so personally offensive. I never felt like Bush was offensive so by the time his Inauguration Day came around I was ready to watch to culminating celebration of our democracy in action.  Trump has done nothing to acknowledge his family's connection to the klan, even ex-klansman Robert Bryd apologized. And the likes of journalist like Chris Matthews inability to acknowledge how offensive this thing that has just won the presidency has been doesn't make him look much better. Meanwhile, Maddow is keeping it real.  This country has yet to issue an apology for its greatest sin, slavery. Even the South African gov't has issued an on the record apology to the victims who suffered under apartheid. It's in their recorded history. Same with Germany,the German gov't has officially apologized for the Holocaust.  This country will never heal until it validates the pain it caused in the trading/enslavement of human beings. Slavery built this country's economy, that horror is at the base/foundation of this country and foundation is everything especially if it's rotten. We will always slide backward because there will always be a door left ajar for the likes of a Trump. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Yes, California can be our Canada on the  West Coast. That way we can keep a safer distance from the bible thumpers, gun crazies and neo-fascists who voted for Trump.

I picture California cracking off under the weight and all of us surfing back in to Boulder.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, ari333 said:

The electoral college is horribly dated. It was established 100s of years ago when white males who owned land were the only people allowed to vote. Clearly, that is not the case today. Now, in order to vote, you just have to be 18 years of age or older, an American Citizen, and not have been convicted of a felony.

Had we done away with the EC ages ago and only went by the popular vote, just like most other countries do, Al Gore would have been elected in 2000 and Hillary would be our President today.

The EC just fucks up everything, especially because not every vote matters under that system. The only way you can truly say every vote matters is by going to the popular vote. This country needs to wake up and we need to modernize the system and do what is right and ensure that every vote really does count and that everyone really does have a voice.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 14