Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

Okay, I still haven't gotten through to the House Oversight Committee. I started getting a different message, which may be the original one that has been mentioned: that they are not answering and the mailbox is full.

I did call my Senator (also a Democrat), as someone else did above, to speak out against Trump's nominees (all of them). I reached someone there who only asked what area of the state I am from and said he would pass on the information. He wasn't as chatty as some others have reached, in terms of telling me they are getting a lot of calls or whatever. I hope that is just his personality and not that people aren't calling.

As a long time fat chick, I can tell you that hatred is pathological .  It's as if my existence is profoundly offensive. How dare I contravene their idea of what a woman should look like? Am I not aware that my only purpose is to be sexualized?

If you haven't read it, I recommend Lindy West's book Shrill. You don't have to read the whole thing if you're not interested in her life but she does some very good writing on this subject. Of course, like a lot of bloggers, journalists, etc. who get offered book deals some of it is rehashed if you've already read her stuff. 

I checked my email today in disbelief. Crazy lady has started emailing me again. I CAN'T.

• Love 2

Here's a short video that summarizes the two major candidates general election campaigns along with the result

Spoiler

Note that, the winning claimant's brain is deprived of oxygen to demonstrate that he is the "true king".  That's considered more important than rational decision making.  Sound familiar?

We are all Iron Islanders now.

It's in spoiler tags because it's a scene from Game of Thrones (Season 6 Episode 5).

I'd put it in the humor thread, but it's not funny.

• Love 2

Panda taking a bath: https://twitter.com/SoVeryAwkward/status/799689688160366592

Regarding Hillary as a candidate and Biden...in this election, it's definitely possible he would have done better due to likeability. He has a tendency to stick his foot in his mouth, but against Trump that probably wouldn't have mattered. However, I feel like repeating what some others are trying to say elsewhere. Hillary wasn't really a bad candidate. Ultimately, she will have won more  popular votes than any other candidate in recent history besides Obama. Unfortunately, as others have said, the problem is that she did not have enough supporters in the areas that needed them and too many were clustered together in areas that lean way blue anyway. Plus all the voter suppression stuff. Plus who knows what Russia did with votes.

Speaking of, call and email the DOJ requesting that they audit the vote: https://twitter.com/GarnerMeg/status/799716502232514560   It's gaining attention. USAToday is even calling for it: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/11/18/election-audit-paper-machines-column/93803752/

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 13

I'm tired of trying to help people who do not want to be helped it's like trying to hold back the tide with a spoon.  What we could do is just have a trial separation New York, California, and other blue states can sit out this administration we can keep our tax dollars and manage our own economies the rest of "real America" can do with our input and money and see how that works out.  We are not considered the "real America" anyhow.  

• Love 5

Okay, something cute to try and take the edge off before I ask for this:  Can someone link me to the article that suggests we boycott Amazon?  I'm here to tell you: that's not happening for me.   Unless Jeff Bezos gave Trump a handy recently, he's still the guy who gave over a million to help get marriage equality passed in Washington State.  He's still the guy who has committed to giving away 90% of his fortune.   He'd have to really screw up on a monumental level before I'd consider boycotting Amazon.  So, did he?  

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, stillshimpy said:

Okay, something cute to try and take the edge off before I ask for this:  Can someone link me to the article that suggests we boycott Amazon?  I'm here to tell you: that's not happening for me.   Unless Jeff Bezos gave Trump a handy recently, he's still the guy who gave over a million to help get marriage equality passed in Washington State.  He's still the guy who has committed to giving away 90% of his fortune.   He'd have to really screw up on a monumental level before I'd consider boycotting Amazon.  So, did he?  

No, he didn't, but Amazon carries Trump brand items.  I'll make my displeasure known about that, and certainly won't buy any of those, but I won't boycott Amazon entirely.

• Love 8

10 things to know about Sen. Jeff Sessions, Donald Trump’s pick for attorney general

Also, of the creepy bent over squad of rickity looking white guys in the Trump Squad, this is one of the creepiest looking. He's kind of lizardy looking.

I don't like to generalize but "from Alabama" + "Trump picked him" the fact that "Accusations of racism have dogged Sessions's career" seemed inevitable. Also, I don't think he looks lizardy. He looks like a bleached Dennis Kucinich.

The vaguely positive "worked with Dems before" section isn't very uplifting. It basically just says "oh, people said he was nice." You can be a Southern gentleman or a nice Midwesterner or any of the other stereotypes and still screw people over with policy. It's not like I expected stories of him walking around curbstomping other legislators. Lord.

Basically, the woman who started the boycott wants you not to shop at Amazon because they carry Ivanka Trump merch. I agree, Bezos doesn't seem like someone we need to be lashing out against (though I've heard some rumblings about the amazon warehouse but that's beside the point in this conversation). She acknowledges somewhere on the spreadsheet that Bezos is involved with The Washington Post but it's still cool. Again, use your judgment. You don't have to go along with everything someone advocates because they are nominally on "your side."

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Unfortunately, as others have said, the problem is that she did not have enough supporters in the areas that needed them and too many were clustered together in areas that lean way blue anyway. Plus all the voter suppression stuff. Plus who knows what Russia did with votes.

Plus she's not a man. Most of the "why this happened" recriminatory think pieces fail to mention it. Isn't it just as reasonable as economic anxiety to explain why former rust-belt Obama supporters changed their votes this time? Perhaps even unconsciously? The widespread hate and rape threats against female Ghostbusters and female gamers are only two well-known examples. Never underestimate misogyny.

• Love 19

Thank you, Moose, I appreciate the information and I won't be boycotting Amazon.   I know that is sort of akin to "Oh, so since you like it, there went your moral high ground?"  Nope, that's not it.  On the list of offenses at this point in time? That  does not take it into boycott level for me.  The difference between New Balance and Jeff Bezos for me is New Balance supported Trump for president.      

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Okay, I still haven't gotten through to the House Oversight Committee. I started getting a different message, which may be the original one that has been mentioned: that they are not answering and the mailbox is full.

I got the same thing this afternoon unfortunately. Does anyone know if there is an alternate number?

2 minutes ago, crayon78 said:

I got the same thing this afternoon unfortunately. Does anyone know if there is an alternate number?

Just saw this on twitter: Last day to support the call for a bipartisan review of Trump’s financials. If the inbox is full, call the committee chair: 801-851-2500

It's 5:37 PM here. Think we can still call?

Thank you, lordinia.  I was already aware of the "Amazon business culture would probably scare the hair right off your head" stuff.  It was just outweighed for me, in the balance, by the fact that Jeff Bezos does a LOT for charity.  A lot, a lot, a lot.  He is one of the chief reasons that billionaires have committed to giving away 90% of their fortunes and there has to be some truly disheartening piece of new information before I'm going to turn my back on someone who stuck up for gay rights in a time where it did lead to a boycott.  He took a risk for other people, people who have fewer rights.  

Again, I shudder to think what he could do that would get me to boycott Amazon, but it would have to be pretty freaking bad.  "I hunt endangered species and stick their heads on my wall" type of bad.  

I'll happily, happily, oh so merrily boycott lining the pockets of the Trumpsters but "sells Ivanka's stuff" isn't going to cut it for me or Trump merchandise either because that's part and parcel of what goes on with the whole Marketplace thing.  

Hey, remember when Fiorina fell off the damned stage and disappeared from view introducing Cruz?  I swear to God, for no reason that popped into my head because it was the funniest moment out of the campaign for me.    I need to cherish that memory.  It's really the only thing funny left from this shit show.  

ETA:  Oh goody, my ignore list hadn't had an add in a while. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 11
28 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Plus she's not a man. Most of the "why this happened" recriminatory think pieces fail to mention it. Isn't it just as reasonable as economic anxiety to explain why former rust-belt Obama supporters changed their votes this time? Perhaps even unconsciously? The widespread hate and rape threats against female Ghostbusters and female gamers are only two well-known examples. Never underestimate misogyny.

Definitely. I used to think that racism would be a harder barrier than sexism to overcome in electing a historic president, but I have completely changed my mind. I think many of these white Obama voters were willing to give him a chance and the benefit of the doubt in a way they simply will not with a woman. Maybe it's Hillary herself, she has too much baggage from the old days with people who've always hated her, but that hatred is attributed mostly to sexism in the first place. They hated her back then because of her perceived ambition and they still do.

The other thing with sexism is that it comes from other women as well, which makes it an even bigger obstacle.

But also, she did receive more votes than any other candidate in history besides Obama, and she will win the popular vote by 2 million, and that in itself is a total malfunction of democracy, so this system is the real problem.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 8

And now this with more on the voter suppression and how North Carolina and Ohio won't release lists of voters they removed because they claim all of them are part of criminal investigations still being investigated. Nice excuse for a cover up. http://america.aljazeera.com/blogs/scrutineer/2014/11/14/voter-purges-alteruspoliticalmap.html

This was the article I meant. Not sure how I linked that other one: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/don-c-reed/voter-suppression-steals-_b_13069770.html

If the lists of removed voters cannot be examined, how can we know if there is a crime being committed?

I am extremely frustrated and confused about why the Democratic politicians aren't making more of a stink about these things that we have hard data on that could be fought. Hopefully a lot of us "regular" people are calling for these various investigations, but in this case I feel like it shouldn't be necessary. Maybe I'm just naive.

Edited by VMepicgrl
wrong article link
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, Ms.Moon said:

I'm tired of trying to help people who do not want to be helped it's like trying to hold back the tide with a spoon.  What we could do is just have a trial separation New York, California, and other blue states can sit out this administration we can keep our tax dollars and manage our own economies the rest of "real America" can do with our input and money and see how that works out.  We are not considered the "real America" anyhow.  

Well that kind of screws over any dems living/stuck in red states. 

• Love 2

I got the same article from Change. While I believe that petitions are for straw-graspers . . . fucking hell, what do we have to lose? They're 45,000 signatures from the goal. Tell your friends!

"Suck a log of shit like it's a dick" might be my new go-to insult. Thanks, Gabe!

Last week, Not Safe with Nikki Glaser was canceled. One of my favorite segments was "Tindr Tapout," where she would chat up guys under the name "PartyBitchKayla" and act crazy until they'd bail out. Turns out "Kayla" has a Twitter feed. This is what she posted last week: "WAIT THE GUY ON MY DIPLOMA IS THE FUCKING PRESIDENT NOW/??? WTF???"

• Love 2

^^^  FWIW, I agree that such things are for "straw-graspers" (love that term, btw).  I also have to admit I kinda agree w/ the Drumph clowns to the extent they say that Liberals "crying on social media" is a waste of time.  I don't agree it's hilarious, but I will say that I hope those who express such things online are spending more time doing something about it (e.g., donating to groups like ACLU who will be needed to fight for all of us...even Drumph supporters who are too stupid to realize their rights are also in jeopardy to a police state; donating time to local causes).

I know this viewpoint won't be entirely popular, because it marginalizes the need to vent/grieve.  I'm just saying, fine, grieve...but get over it & do something about it.

• Love 4

Would the repeal of the Affordable Care Act put you or a loved one in danger?

Just a reminder on where political power lies in any health finance debate.

• Groups with lots of money have more power than groups with no money.
  • Groups that routinely vote have more power than groups that don’t vote.
  • Groups that are trusted have more power than groups that are not trusted.
  • Groups that are liked have more power than groups that are not liked.

Call Congress!

House of Representatives Directory

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jordan27 said:

Hey, did you all see the gang beat up the guy for voting Trump?

More tolerance from the left. 

Maybe some crayons, playdoh and dog therapy will help.

Hey did you hear about the many many more incidents of abusive Trump supporters?

• Love 21

Pretty sure that's our plan, guys.  I like that someone else picked up the banner!! 

I know this viewpoint won't be entirely popular, because it marginalizes the need to vent/grieve.  I'm just saying, fine, grieve...but get over it & do something about it.

Or grieve as much as you need to, cry, moan, throw shit if that's what is going to make you feel better.  I'd suggest soft stuff, at no one.  And also spend time actually doing things that might help.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

***With the announcement of Jeff Sessions as Trump's pick for Attorney General***, please, if you are able & care about equal rights, please donate to various groups.  Speak with friends & family members & try to get them to donate as well, again, if they are able.

Groups such as: ACLU, Southern Poverty Law Center and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, among others.

I told someone the other day that I was considering which "in danger" group to send a donation to when it occurred to me that there are so many now. 

1 hour ago, Jordan27 said:

Saw it, was outraged by it and think they should be punished to the full extent of the law, as should the protesters who turn to violence and rioting.  Shall we list the number of incidents from Trump supporters?  I have a friend who works as a chaplain at the University of Michigan and she alone could provide a long list of incidents (with pictures) of white supremacist garbage and hateful chanting ("build that wall!) etc. that she's had to help deal with on just their campus. 

• Love 22

Saw it, was outraged by it and think they should be punished to the full extent of the law, as should the protesters who turn to violence and rioting.

Not to mention the fact that, just imagine how bad it would be if our presidential candidate had encouraged such behavior.  The number of incidents would be shocking, I tell you. 

Shall we list the number of incidents from Trump supporters?

Oh wait, I don't need to imagine it.  It's being lived out.  

For whatever it is, or isn't worth: clearly and obviously no one deserves to be beaten up for voting for someone, no matter who they voted for and I mean that sincerely.   It's no secret that I am pisssed right the fuck off and I am not trying to hide it, but I'd also protect a Trump supporter from harm if it came down to that.  I might be lecturing them as I did, but yeah, not on my watch.  Period. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 14

I have made more calls to my senators & Rep this week than I have in all my years prior. I'm in MA so I'm basically preaching to the choir though I did call the governor's office and let it be known that I was disappointed with his "pre-judging" bullshit.

• Love 3

Autocracy: Rules For Survival

"I have lived in autocracies most of my life, and have spent much of my career writing about Vladimir Putin’s Russia. I have learned a few rules for surviving in an autocracy and salvaging your sanity and self-respect. It might be worth considering them now:

Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says….

Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.…

Rule #3: Institutions will not save you….

Rule #4: Be outraged…

Rule #5: Don’t make compromises…

Rule #6: Remember the future…."

Many people have been telling me that we will lose a lot of battles, and to that I say, "Fuck that noise!" 

Sure we're going to lose some, but we’re going to win a bunch.  Not everything, and people will get hurt, badly. But Republicans are already over reaching.  They’re greedy fuck-ups and we’ll be able to take advantage of the openings they provide.  Which is why I keep coming back to Masha Gessen's conclusion (Read the damned linked article!) — Say no, and keep on saying it!

Don't let the Republican's or the Democrat's get away with normalizing Hair Gropenführer's actions, lies or behavior. And if they knuckle under to save their own skin, make them pay a higher price than the one you're going to bilked out of.

• Love 14
45 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I told someone the other day that I was considering which "in danger" group to send a donation to when it occurred to me that there are so many now.

I saw a list someone put together - may have been on the PantSuitNation FB group - of 12 organizations, ACLU, SPLC, PP, etc., with the suggestion to make a donation (whatever you can, $5, $10) to a different one on the list each month.

Also, this is happening:

20,000 People Have Donated to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's 'Honor'

Planned Parenthood has received 20,000 donations made in the name of Vice President-elect Mike Pence, and thousands of dollars in donations to the group's Indiana organization were made in his "honor" since last week's election, the groups said. At least 20,000 of more than 128,000 donations received by Planned Parenthood since the election made reference to Pence, Indiana's governor and a former congressman who has been criticized by some for restrictions on abortion, Planned Parenthood's president, Cecile Richards, said Tuesday.

Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky said it has received "thousands in donations" in the governor's name. It got nearly 1,400 donations totaling more than $25,000 since Nov. 8, the state group said. The idea was helped by social media posts encouraging the donations, it said. "Hoosiers have recognized how bad Pence is for women for a really long time and now the nation is joining us in the fight against him," Betty Cockrum, president and CEO of PPINK, said in a statement Tuesday.

"Pence will receive notifications of the donations that are made to PPINK in his honor at his office in the Indiana Statehouse," the statement said.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

Yeah, the thing is neither of those words are a synonym for approval, you know?  I think I understand.  There were points I hadn't considered.  I do know I live in something of an ivory tower.   Forgiveness is not actually on the table at present.  It might not ever truly be. 

Every time I read a new headline about whatever creature Trump has dredged up from the marshlands of hell and then put forth as an appointee, it helps to have something closer to honest pity for the people who voted him in.

Really good points. Thank you.

I met my first Trump supporter in my life. She's a white woman, older, lives on a hobby farm and volunteers with me at a wildlife center. She's been a volunteer for thirty years. She's our shift lead. She teaches special ed part-time. She supports NPR. She came to my wedding. We were talking about the election today and she said, "well, I wanted change in Washington." And she said it defensively and nervously, knowing the rest of us were devastated at the results. Someone pointed out the latest names for his appointments and she said, "oh, he won't do that. He's not that extreme." 

And you know, you're right - pity is what I felt. Because she honestly thought she would feel safer and see the country improve. She was vulnerable to a con and she may or may not ever see that. And that makes me very sad for her as a person. Because if she was truly happy with her decision, she wouldn't have been so uncomfortable with the rest of us or defensive. We didn't attack her at all. We didn't say a word. She knew, somehow, that this election wasn't normal. If it were a matter of "change," she wouldn't be acting so differently. She doesn't seem happy - she seems defensive. 

We'll be in the fight against fascism together soon enough. I hope. 

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

Really good points. Thank you.

I met my first Trump supporter in my life. She's a white woman, older, lives on a hobby farm and volunteers with me at a wildlife center. She's been a volunteer for thirty years. She's our shift lead. She teaches special ed part-time. She supports NPR. She came to my wedding. We were talking about the election today and she said, "well, I wanted change in Washington." And she said it defensively and nervously, knowing the rest of us were devastated at the results. Someone pointed out the latest names for his appointments and she said, "oh, he won't do that. He's not that extreme." 

And you know, you're right - pity is what I felt. Because she honestly thought she would feel safer and see the country improve. She was vulnerable to a con and she may or may not ever see that. And that makes me very sad for her as a person. Because if she was truly happy with her decision, she wouldn't have been so uncomfortable with the rest of us or defensive. We didn't attack her at all. We didn't say a word. She knew, somehow, that this election wasn't normal. If it were a matter of "change," she wouldn't be acting so differently. She doesn't seem happy - she seems defensive. 

We'll be in the fight against fascism together soon enough. I hope. 

This is what I was pondering today. Some people never looked past Thing 1 or Thing 2 to what could really happen with the change they were looking for. They hand waved away all the horrible shit that was said and done , hated Hillary and the establishment ,  liked what Pence had to offer, and even the Supreme Court  but never thought of all the other positions that needed to be filled and who would fill them. They still trusted the normal institutions, like all of us, and wouldnt think crazy people would be put in powerful positions of power, they still naively believe the already established Republican like Ryan were looking out and would do the best for them. They are just as SOL like the rest of us. We just have a head start in that we can see what's happening and how were going to deal with it.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

As a life long New Yorker it always gets me when Midwesterners say this.  Do they not realize that New York is one of the original 13 colonies and their state isn't?   

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Jordan27 said:

More tolerance from the left. 

Maybe some crayons, playdoh and dog therapy will help.

Are you talking about this beating in Philadelphia?

http://www.snopes.com/protesters-beat-homeless-veteran/

Happened back in 2015 and is totally unrelated to the election.  Snopes.com should be the first place you check the veracity of stories like this BTW.

• Love 17

Regarding the Amazon issue, if you are still shopping at Amazon, don't forget to set your Smile donation to the charity of your choice and remember to shop via smile.amazon.com, especially during those big holiday purchases. I have mine set to the LGBTQ Task Force. I'm open to alternate suggestions.

ETA: In case folks aren't aware, those donations come out of Amazon charity foundations, not your wallet. It's small but I'm sure it adds up with the bazillion things many of us buy from Amazon.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 11

It's become clear that there are different needs and that means this topic has reached the end of it's usefulness. As such, we have two new topics for you to take yourself to, to post at will.

First, "OK...What's Next?" - this is to discuss the election results, the transition, and calls to action (Please note - discussion of potential appointees goes in a different topic).

Second, "Soft Kitty" - this is the spot for your happy gifs, memes, pictures of sloths, pictures of sloths watching gifs, and happy stuff.

This topic is now locked. Please remember - be civil to your fellow posters. Only post something once (changing a couple words does not make it a completely different post).

• Love 8