Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

Here's something concrete we can do, but it has to be done tomorrow before the House Oversight Committee goes on break for Thanksgiving week.

TAtbjfh.jpg

That image is a little small and blurred, but the phone number is (202) 225-5074. Tell them you support the call for a bipartisan review of Trump's finances and apparent conflicts of interest. If you get a "mailbox is full" message, that means the line is busy, so try back in a few minutes.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Here's something concrete we can do, but it has to be done tomorrow before the House Oversight Committee goes on break for Thanksgiving week.

TAtbjfh.jpg

That image is a little small and blurred, but the phone number is (202) 225-5074. Tell them you support the call for a bipartisan review of Trump's finances and apparent conflicts of interest. If you get a "mailbox is full" message, that means the line is busy, so try back in a few minutes.

I saw that, too. It has to be during the workday, right? We shouldn't just leave voicemails after hours? I want to be calling all these places but have been swamped at work and come home to see all of these new people to call....

• Love 1
1 minute ago, VMepicgrl said:

It has to be during the workday, right? We shouldn't just leave voicemails after hours?

I think you have to reach a person, but I don't know for sure. I guess just try to call tomorrow if you can, but if you can't, leave a voicemail and hope. If you have social media you can also share it there, so that even if you can't get through, someone who sees it might be able to.

1 hour ago, Grommet said:

Now I'm wondering if peeps should buy New Balance so the nazis can't appropriate them. (Assuming the pro trump stance is truly anti TTP.) Why let those assholes have a way to identify each other? Make them wear the white robes.

Bless, I hunted around because the lad needs new sneakers for his paddles - and it's gonna have to be New Balance.  I did warn him about the garbage though.

5 hours ago, backformore said:

Someone I know had said politics is boring, she didn't even register to vote "because then you get called for jury duty".  Oh, and who cares, really, Trump, Clinton, they're both corrupt."     She also thinks "Obamacare"  should be abolished because it's so expensive - she can't believe she pays $200/ month!  

So now, she's worried, because Trump is going to take away her health care plan.   I can't sympathize - she didn't vote!  

As  far as I'm concerned, people who didn't vote - voted for Trump.  People who wrote in candidates, or voted for third party candidates - voted for Trump.  They let this happen, and they are responsible.

I have a friend like this. Two weeks ago she didn't care because they were both just politicians and Hillary was a crook.

This week she's suddenly informed enough to make statements like "the vice-president is a fucking nightmare". 

Hey, thanks for joining us. Bit late. 

I'm glad to find this thread. I've been mostly going through it alone because I'm in the bluest part of NC and I have a trans loved one and everyone is too devastated to even talk about it. I can't even make myself find out what's happening with the governor race here, because every time I look at the news it's like "RIP CIVILIZATION" so I had to stop. I changed my Amazon "Smile" donation to the LGBTQ task force. I haven't been able to figure out what else to do besides not allow myself to fall into major depression for the whole winter, and that's hit or miss on a day by day basis. 

I've been losing myself in television when I can, mostly comedies. I've noticed a trend in the last two weeks; three separate comedies have shown major female characters getting abortions without making it a huge shameful "very special episode". They did a little soul searching, made the choice, did it. I watch a lot of television and this was an unusual little cluster of critically acclaimed shows all communicating the same message. 

I make note of this because it shows progress, and because I greatly fear the loss of that progress. 

Spoiler-tagging the show names but not mentioning which characters.

Spoiler

Jane The Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (these two shows are very pro-feminist with very diverse casting), and You're the Worst.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

TAtbjfh.jpg

I just called, at 1856 CA time. "mailbox is full" message. No way to leave a message. I'll call on my way to work tomorrow.

@VMepicgrl - I've been calling on my way to work (thanks, voice-activated redial) and on my lunch hour.

• Love 2

So, tonight wasn't as intimate of a gathering as I thought it would be; just a mini-signing; and the "Girls Night Out" is that all the businesses in the area were open for this; and mainly locals come. And since Nora's final story in her latest trilogy was being touted as being released early (it's not due out until December 3), and only fifty copies, it was busier than it usually is. But she was there, and I'm just loving her hair color! She darkened it to look like The Black Widow from Avengers. And she looked freakinFANTASTIC. But she always does. And dammit, I forgot to ask her if the heroine from one of her books rubbed in the hero's face, that the Cubs won the World Series; Because back in 1992, when she wrote Private Scandals, the hero told her they would never win...and then qualified, sarcastically to her "they will one day!" with "Yeah right. Maybe in the next Millennium.". Why did I forget? Well, I discovered another lump in my breast yesterday, after my mammo had cleared me back in August. So I have an ultrasound tomorrow. And that's been on my mind all day today. 

I've pretty much stayed away from all forums and threads, because I can't deal with it all. Tonight was the first night I'd left my home since the Election.  And I read, that there was some protesting as close as a mile away from me yesterday, and that a Drumpf protestor was attacked. I didn't read any further, though it was a credible source reporting it. WTOP, for those that live in the DC/MD/VA area.

And it was...I'm not sure what the word is, but Boonsboro, MD is a little redneckish. So I didn't expect to hear any political talk at the mini signing, which is what it turned out to be, because it's well known FACT what Nora's political leanings are. And color me surprised that I was able to have a conversation and vent-in person-with like-minded women, who feel the same way I do. Another woman, who lived through the Holocaust, the Civil Rights Movement, came up to me and rubbed my arm in comfort. I guess the fear came out in my voice. It was...nice. And one poor soul actually though Pestilence wasn't too bad, and we all let her know what the truth about him was. She wasn't offended, but appreciative that we let her know his true self.

So. I'll be reading the final book in Nora's trilogy tonight and the next two days. Yeah, I pretty much can't put her books down when I sit down to read her. I've been reading her since I was 12.

But right now, I'm focused on the ultrasound tomorrow, and then seeing my breast surgeon on Monday, to see what's what. May have to move up the surgery, but I was going to lop off the healthy breast anyway to avoid this from happening. I don't give two fucks if it turns out to be benign. I don't want it inside me.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 19
4 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I just called, at 1856 CA time. "mailbox is full" message. No way to leave a message. I'll call on my way to work tomorrow.

@VMepicgrl - I've been calling on my way to work (thanks, voice-activated redial) and on my lunch hour.

My guess is they won't be open yet when I'm on my way to work. It starts a little earlier than other jobs. Will try to call at lunch. I'll put some numbers in my phone tonight. 

Hey, GHScorpiosRule, I'm sorry you have to deal with so much more crap on top of the turd sundae that's been dumped on the American people. I hope that you get good news and a plan of action. I imagine peace of mind seems out of reach right now, but I hope everything goes as well as it can. I'll be thinking about you.

• Love 7

Thanks guys. I've been watching Psych this past week and am up to Season Three. And it's just what I needed to make me laugh, when I didn't think I could.  I haven't watched any of my other comedy/satirist shows, like Samantha Bee, Trevor Noah, Seth

And oh boy. I just read part of the interview Jon Stewart did with Charlie Rose this morning. Calling out hypocrisy of the liberals for labeling al who voted the Orange Turd as "racist." I can't find the link that Face Book posted, but here is another one by indiewire.com

Jon Stewart Interview.

I haven't watched it yet.

• Love 3

Guys, please, please, please, please, PLEASE read David’s top-pinned note about linking to Twitter vs. embedding the tweet in your post.  It’s a goofy thing but a serious problem for us IE users.  It is making this thread unreadable for me at the moment, and God knows I need this thread.

Thanks for your consideration.

• Love 6

Good luck to you, GHScorpio. 

I love Jon Stewart, but sometimes he doesn't get it. It's like when he threw that big political rally that turned into a mushy, middle of the road, kumbaya platitude party. Still, I will always love him for his Glenn Beck conspiracy skit on TDS. I laughed so hard it literally hurt.

• Love 2

I got together today with a friend I haven't seen in two years.  We were both working from home, both wrapped up for the day, and there's a nice little place with pub grub and 3:00 happy hour halfway between us, so we met up.  Two years since we last got together, and we spent five minutes on "how's work/how's the family" and the remaining three hours on the election and its implications for our futures (and the futures of her Filipino/black children).  It's somewhat communal seating in this place, and by the end we'd been joined by a few other patrons who'd overheard us and wanted to join in the conversation.  It was a nice little impromptu salon.

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Guys, please, please, please, please, PLEASE read David’s top-pinned note about linking to Twitter vs. embedding the tweet in your post.  It’s a goofy thing but a serious problem for us IE users.  It is making this thread unreadable for me at the moment, and God knows I need this thread.

Thanks for your consideration.

I'm guilty, I'm sorry. I wasn't having any issues so I didn't read it. Sorry for anyone I caused a problem for!

• Love 1

Jon Stewart disappoints me again. I'm sorry, but his response reeks of privilege. People are terrified, this man is incapable of doing the job and the country is in grave danger. He can opine about the voters all he wants, but to not acknowledge the gravity of this situation is to be in deep denial. It's unprecedented to have someone so entirely unfit for the office in that position, and people's lives are literally in danger not just from Trump but all that he unleashed. On top of that, yes, the country itself is in danger because of his ignorance and inability to do the job. And due to his authoritarianism now getting free reign and a party that won't stand up to it, our democratic norms and institutions are all in danger as well.

So I'm glad Jon's taking this so well, but I feel like that's because his own life isn't going to be any different, so it's easy for him to just step back and be so understanding of it all.

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Jon Stewart disappoints me again. I'm sorry, but his response reeks of privilege. People are terrified, this man is incapable of doing the job and the country is in grave danger. He can opine about the voters all he wants, but to not acknowledge the gravity of this situation is to be in deep denial. It's unprecedented to have someone so entirely unfit for the office in that position, and people's lives are literally in danger not just from Trump but all that he unleashed. On top of that, yes, the country itself is in danger because of his ignorance and inability to do the job. And due to his authoritarianism now getting free reign and a party that won't stand up to it, our democratic norms and institutions are all in danger as well.

So I'm glad Jon's taking this so well, but I feel like that's because his own life isn't going to be any different, so it's easy for him to just step back and be so understanding of it all.

Agree. I really expected him to unleash his fury, and he didn't. Has retirement made him soft? I didn't think it did, after his appearances on Stephen's show during the Republican convention and again the night before Election.

Sigh...

• Love 2

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/trump-supporter-punches-woman-argument-brooklyn-restaurant-article-1.2873086

Brazen assholes like the attacker in this article worry me just as much as Trump. Those people who attack Trump voters minding their own business are awful as well. Living in a very red state, I'm thinking about carrying my taser in my purse. It's a concealed carry state, but I hope that it won't have to go that far where I'd need a gun. Be safe everyone!

Now, for thread-related content:

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So, tonight wasn't as intimate of a gathering as I thought it would be; just a mini-signing; and the "Girls Night Out" is that all the businesses in the area were open for this; and mainly locals come. And since Nora's final story in her latest trilogy was being touted as being released early (it's not due out until December 3), and only fifty copies, it was busier than it usually is. But she was there, and I'm just loving her hair color! She darkened it to look like The Black Widow from Avengers. And she looked freakinFANTASTIC. But she always does. And dammit, I forgot to ask her if the heroine from one of her books rubbed in the hero's face, that the Cubs won the World Series; Because back in 1992, when she wrote Private Scandals, the hero told her they would never win...and then qualified, sarcastically to her "they will one day!" with "Yeah right. Maybe in the next Millennium.". Why did I forget? Well, I discovered another lump in my breast yesterday, after my mammo had cleared me back in August. So I have an ultrasound tomorrow. And that's been on my mind all day today. 

I'm really glad you got a copy of Nora's latest book, GHScorpiosRule. I also work in that industry. ;-) She's tremendous and goes out of her way to encourage the newbies.

I hope the ultrasound will go perfectly and you'll be just fine.

I had a book due November 1st. Suffice to say I'm not done yet. Even making myself sit at my desk to write is almost impossible right now.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, windsprints said:

I saw this request on twitter, people are saying the staff is hanging up on them:

I am an Ohioan and I will be calling. It's a shame that so many people here from both sides voted for him in the primary to send a message to Trump and Ohio still went to Trump in the General. 

5 hours ago, windsprints said:

When Trump first starting running I at first thought maybe I was so against him just because I've always found him obnoxious. Oh, what I would give for that to have been the case. :(

I'm really starting to wonder if this election just boiled down to what we thought of the candidates 30 years ago. So many people in the 90s thought Hillary was a scheming witch, while others thought Trump was a loud-mouthed joke. My opinion of the latter has only gotten worse with time and this election.  

• Love 1

Still thinking about the potential demise of The Amazing Race. What sucks is that three "fan favorite" teams would be vilified in the upcoming status quo. Oswald & Danny were Cuban-American, gay and best friends. Far and away, they were the class of TAR2 and TAR11, finishing fourth both times. Charla & Mirna were cousins born in Syria. Charla stood out in TAR5 because she was a dwarf, often carrying her cousin. Mirna was 98 percent pill. They came back to TAR11 and improbably finished third, winning two legs. Leo & Jamil were the self-styled "Afghanimals" of TAR23-24 that finished fourth. While those teams aren't really my all-time faves (John Vito & Jill, Kris & Jon, Chip & Kim, etc), but when I think about it hard enough, my head and heart ache a bit.

To make up for that bummer, here are Butler & Paddington.

• Love 2

Forgive me, everybody. I'm not usually a self-indulgent person.  I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin.  

Today was such a bad day. I work (mainly) within two communities that Trump has demonized.  It's been scary and hurtful for my clients since November 9,  but today was WILDLY off the charts. I'm always professional, but stopped by my parents' before heading home to NJ,  and unexpectedly cried and cried. Jeez, I lost control. I think I absorbed all the fear.

My husband and I were going to try for a baby in 2017. I can't do it.  I feel an obligation to others now that's so strong. It's too scary. I'm so sad, a kind of mourning.

You know, my family owns a small company whose name some people might recognize.  They trekked over from Europe 19th century, and most continued on to heartland America.   But a small core planted themselves in NYC and refused to budge. Now here we are, liberal, activist, humanitarian, philanthropic, social Democrats with a decent reputation. Dad and both granddads not happy I haven't joined up, but they understand my stubborn streak and they're biding their time.

So I'm stereotypical Scandinavian in appearance, and wondering if I should go Mata Hari within Trumpland? My husband says NO!  I'm not so sure.

This is a terrible, terrible time for America and for all of us. And I include Trump supporters, too. They.just.don't.realize...what has been unleashed.

Fingers crossed I can sleep three hours tonight. Nighty everyone.  God bless us, everyone.

• Love 19

I posted earlier about my elderly dad, the progressive historian, who was uncharacteristically brought low by the events of the week. So many of you liked my comment and/or responded kindly that I wanted to update you. We Skyped at length last night and he's feeling a bit better. He even wrote a piece online encouraging lefties to go man the barricades, although he confided to me that he wasn't feeling quite as resolute as he sounded. It was definitely helpful to both of us to talk, though. I encourage all of you to reach out, or continue to reach out, to loved ones for mutual support. 

Courage.

@sleekandchic, I hope you can sleep. Goodnight. (You are far from self indulgent, thank you for the work you do.) <3 

Edited by bref
  • Love 18

So.much.this. Unfortunately, I think it's been a thing for a while and the Republicans have played on it by decrying intellectualism as elitist. I don't know about other people, but I'd really prefer my doctor to be smart. Education is a good thing, unless you need your voters to be ill-informed and easily misled,

I have a natural distrust for people who seem to be dissuading you from thinking for yourself... or people who are trying to sell you something. My brain goes into overdrive trying to figure out what the con is.

My post-election anxiety reduction project of learning to make French macarons has failed miserably. And I still have a pound of overpriced almond flour!

Oh no! I've wanted to attempt macarons for a while. I bought a mixer for the egg whites but I haven't broken it out of the box yet because I don't have a reliable scale. I do have a collection of recipe webpages and video guides if you'd like some links.

If people want to be distracted for a little while from our political woes I can recommend this new TNT series GOOD BEHAVIOR with Michelle Dockery - I watched the first two hours  and was so compelled  that I did not think of the election result and Trump  at all for these two hours. A first for me since last week - thank you, Lady Mary!

Oh good. I was thinking about checking that one out. I'm not sure if I can take something intense right now (Divorce has been sitting on the DVR) but I'll give it a shot. Too bad Agent Carter was cancelled. Maybe I'll watch some old Xena or Charmed. I need to see some ladies kicking ass right now.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, kieyra said:

I've been losing myself in television when I can, mostly comedies. I've noticed a trend in the last two weeks; three separate comedies have shown major female characters getting abortions without making it a huge shameful "very special episode". They did a little soul searching, made the choice, did it. I watch a lot of television and this was an unusual little cluster of critically acclaimed shows all communicating the same message. 

I make note of this because it shows progress, and because I greatly fear the loss of that progress. 

Spoiler-tagging the show names but not mentioning which characters.

Reveal hidden contents

Jane The Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (these two shows are very pro-feminist with very diverse casting), and You're the Worst.

Wow, thanks for mentioning that. I don't watch any of those shows, but I'm still surprised I hadn't heard about it. Have you seen the movie "Obvious Child"?

I like to think that there’s an American spirit, an independent streak.  We are the people and the descendants of people who were not satisfied with the life they had in the old country, who wanted something better.  It’s in our DNA.  We believe in democracy and fair play and free speech and we stand up for those beliefs. 

Dipping into negativity for a moment, I resist narratives about the greatness of the Founding Fathers, etc. because it's easy to be selective about your information. You could also say this country was founded by slave owners and people who thought only landowning white men were qualified to vote. Sure, that was the time period but progress is not a straight line. There have been people throughout history who actually believed in extending education, rights, etc. to more than a select few. They wrote and debated prettily but they were very much driven by greed, self-interest, etc. in addition to ideals and freedom. And while there are many branches of Protestantism planted in American soil, most of them left England/Europe because they thought the Catholics were too soft and corrupt so the freedom of religion stuff is on shaky ground with me. This might appall strict Constitutionalists but I think we should take away the valuable lessons from the past while remaining adaptable and listening to our own judgment and the judgment of those we respect who spend a lot more time thinking about these individual issues.

California legalized pot which is something I support but the fun, positive thing (if you're me) is that every morning when I walk my dogs now, it is hilarious how much pot smoke is in the air in the neighborhoods.

I'm also pro or neutral on pot legalization. I'm not that well-informed on it but I don't buy the "gateway drug" argument or a lot of the stated dangers so the benefit in cutting down on the number of low-level offenders filtered into the prison system and cutting into the profits of the illegal drug trade seems like more of a net positive. However, this is my problem with smoking in general. Other "vices" might indirectly affect me like if you drink and then get behind the wheel of a car. But they don't take away my choice to make decisions about what toxic or compromising substances I might want to come into contact with. I'm commenting because I think we need to get to a point where we can actual debate the finer points of laws and policies and how they affect everyone instead of extreme "yes" or "no" and a bunch of useless angry yelling. We're losing the nuance. Not "they want to take away our guns" but maybe we should have some stricter regulations. 

Back to positive energy tomorrow.

• Love 10

You took the words right out of my mouth about Amazon. Dang it. I use them whenever I have to get something I can't get locally. For example: Had to buy a Y cable through them as stores in my area didn't carry them. Needed it for the external hard drive that I use with my Wii U.

Personally, I'm not buying into the whole boycott. But I respect that the spreadsheet explains why each company is on the list. It lets you make an informed decision instead of blindly following a list someone compiled. Again, this is a personal decision but I will probably still shop at Amazon and Macy's. But I've never bought any Ivanka Trump merchandise and I don't plan to. Way before this election, I considered her stuff to be poorer quality knockoffs of better designers (and not even the beautiful, creative stuff either... just the basic stuff) and I still think that. I hope she doesn't reopen her store here in NY. It closed a while ago. I wish the list of companies and CEOs who have actually come out and supported (verbally or financially) Trump were longer because that's the part I really care about. 

• Love 4

Of course, there will still be those voters who snarl, “She didn’t earn my vote,” as if somehow their narcissism should override all other considerations in the election. That, however, is not what an election is about. Voters are charged with choosing the best person to lead the country, not the one who appeals the most to their egos.

Thanks @Deanie87. I'm not as aggressive as the writer and only come across Sanders/Stein/Johnson people in youtube comments but still... this.

• Love 3

A Muslim registry is terrifying. Seriously. This cannot happen here.. 

With trump's hatred of fat people there will be a fat chick registry.. it does seem to be bigger women he hates.. hates with a passion.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, crosby777 said:

With trump's hatred of fat people there will be a fat chick registry.. it does seem to be bigger women he hates.. hates with a passion.

As a long time fat chick, I can tell you that hatred is pathological .  It's as if my existence is profoundly offensive. How dare I contravene their idea of what a woman should look like? Am I not aware that my only purpose is to be sexualized?

• Love 16

Grommet -- Evangelical Christian Males believe women were created to, faithfully attend church, keep house, cook, raise children, have no say in household/family matters, socialize only with "approved" Christians, forbidden to read newspapers, or watch "Anti"-Christian TV & willingly "submit" to their husbands, no matter what sick, perverted, disgusting acts they demand.  Trust me........we had one of these guys in our family. 

• Love 3

Sorry, I'll be reporting from the 'not losing one's mind'/shallow side, meaning entertainment stuff.

I was afraid this was going to ruin Hamilton for me (because anything even politics-adjacent was unbearable for me in the first week). Today the soundtrack is making me feel better.

In other mental-health news, there's a Drumpf-blocker extension for Chrome that'll clean up a lot of those 'advertorial'/clickbait articles that litter every single website now.

I'm not advocating burying one's head in the sand, because obviously that's going to solve exactly nothing. I'm speaking mostly to the people who are teetering on the edge of the kind of depression that renders one completely non-functional, which is what I'm flirting with at the moment (and getting close to looking for a therapist). We're no good to anyone if we don't take care of ourselves in the immediate aftermath.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 9

I've been listening to more NPR than other outlets. The news can be just as dire but it's delivered in a less emotional manner and once in a while they drop in something vaguely hopeful. And offer new, to me, information.

Yesterday they had John Koza explain the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

From DemocracyNow.

'Now, under the National Popular Vote proposal, which is now law in 11 states, those states, when we have enough states that have a majority of the electors—that is, 270—those laws go into effect. And they will award all of those electors to the candidate who gets the most popular votes in all 50 states. And that’s what would guarantee the White House to the candidate who gets the most popular votes in all 50 states. Now, this legislation is already law in 11 states, having 165 electoral votes. It needs states with 105 more electoral votes to become law in time for the 2020 election.'

It was interesting. And I had no idea such progress had been made!

• Love 9
6 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

So I'm stereotypical Scandinavian in appearance, and wondering if I should go Mata Hari within Trumpland? My husband says NO!  I'm not so sure.

I think using your Scandinavian genes and standing in opposition of Trump would be my play if I were in your shoes.  Clearly you have the characteristics which make it reasonable to think they would accept you as one of "them".  But follow your conscious and oppose them in your deeds and actions, show "them" that just because you look that way, doesn't mean you think nor feel that way.  Embody for the "others" that a set of genes does not predetermine who and what you are.

I can understand why expanding your family is something you may not want to do right now because this seems so big.  But I wouldn't finalize that decision now - you are still too raw and living in a lot of forecasted fear.  Never the best time to make important decisions when we are feeling so overwhelmed.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

I've been listening to more NPR than other outlets. The news can be just as dire but it's delivered in a less emotional manner and once in a while they drop in something vaguely hopeful. And offer new, to me, information.

Yesterday they had John Koza explain the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

From DemocracyNow.

'Now, under the National Popular Vote proposal, which is now law in 11 states, those states, when we have enough states that have a majority of the electors—that is, 270—those laws go into effect. And they will award all of those electors to the candidate who gets the most popular votes in all 50 states. And that’s what would guarantee the White House to the candidate who gets the most popular votes in all 50 states. Now, this legislation is already law in 11 states, having 165 electoral votes. It needs states with 105 more electoral votes to become law in time for the 2020 election.'

What? That is amazing. I had no idea.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

From DemocracyNow.

My BF told me about this on Nov 9 in an attempt to cheer me up, but it sounded too good to be true, and I can't imagine the current power structure will allow it to happen. But it's interesting. Fingers crossed.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2

The problem is that I can't see any of the crucial swing states signing on for that, because that would take power away from them. And of course, no way in hell are any of the rural red states going to agree to it. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, galax-arena said:

The problem is that I can't see any of the crucial swing states signing on for that, because that would take power away from them. And of course, no way in hell are any of the rural red states going to agree to it. 

Yeah, the main reason changing the electoral college is likely to never pass is simply that the smaller and/or traditionally red states will never go along with it and as such it will never pass ratification. They like the system the way it is because it gives them more weight in the process than a vote based on the actual population would.

Wyoming is the least populous state in the country with about 586K people. Their three electoral votes amount to about 1 vote per 195K people. California, the most populous state, has over 39 million people, and its 55 electoral votes equal about 1 vote per 711K people. But if their electoral vote to population ratio were weighed by the same proportion as Wyoming, then California should actually have about 200 electoral votes. Their population is worth almost four times more electoral votes than they actually have. And 200:3 is way more consequential to the overall total than 55:3. Keeping it the way it is now gives small population areas like Wyoming more teeth in the game, otherwise those people would get drowned out.

• Love 6
On 11/15/2016 at 0:55 PM, lordonia said:

He also said he doesn't "know" Bannon personally and therefore ... has no concerns. This is the same Bannon who has said he wants to "destroy all of today's establishments" including the GOP.

That's discouraging but expected. I don't like to use call or letter templates because it becomes "partisan" noise to politicians who aren't prepared to listen in the first place.

I'm still thinking about the red/blue voting map by counties and remain dispirited. What bothers me is not the total amount of each color, which we know is about equal due to population density, but I'm sad for blue people who live in all those saturated red zones and entire states. I'm one of them and it takes a toll.

I mentioned before I'm in the deep blue dot in Iowa, the county where the university of Iowa is at. One of six counties that went blue,  the only county who voted for Chuck Grassleys opponent. And somehow there are still too many Supreme leader Orangina voters around me for comfort. 

• Love 1

Extremely offended to see Jeff Sessions tweet insinuating when he becomes attorney general "Watch Out Jews!" Anyway to let Twitter know the hate this guy is sending out?  If any people are un-American......it's these bible-thumping, hate-spewing, christian gop members of congress!

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Hang onto your hats for this juicy life-changing newsflash, folks. Kanye says he would have voted for Trump *IF* he would have voted.

Oh Christ. There goes his 2020 presidential bid! (THANK GOD.)

• Love 4