Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

23 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

God bless Harry Reid for having the biggest balls in Washington! Our newscast up here was showing a snippet of him just now spelling it out loud that hate is on the rise because of Trump. Thank you sir! 

It was glorious! it shows that decency still exists in the world. Love will trump hate, we just have to continue to fight and not tolerate the way, that the right is trying, to silence us, from voicing our discontent, with the new administration.

• Love 16

I'm allowing myself one more day of mourning (tonight I'm going to stuff my face with some Chinese food) and then tomorrow I'm going to pick myself up by my bra straps and try to figure out what I can due to support liberal, progressive and feminist causes in the wake of the election.

I write book reviews at a blog and for a while I would sometimes read and review books by those on the extreme right. Well, no more. Why should I give these people more publicity for their horrific views. Instead, I'm going to seek out books by people with more liberal, progressive and feminist views. They deserve the publicity. And besides, it's my blog; I can do what I want.

Furthermore, I'd love to donate money to causes I believe in, but I'm not awash in cash. I am a mad crafter and I'm swimming in beads. I would love to make jewelry, sell them and donate the proceeds to various causes like Planned Parenthood or my local food bank. Does anyone have ideas how to do this in a way that doesn't look like a scam? You can always PM me.

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, windsprints said:

I wish every governor in the country would be taking the increase in hate crimes seriously.  He has his detractors but I've always really liked him. He immediately spoke about NY not agreeing with Trump after the election. So, when we go I'm formally asking if we can take him, lol

I'm thinking Cuomo's positioning himself for 2020.  

• Love 2

Isn't Andrew on shaky ground for reelection in 2018? And I saw a post on Facebook suggesting Jon Stewart run in 2020, seeing how he has the same political experience as YKW. In my head, Jon would be Luke Skywalker, who would go hermit on us for years.

Saw an ad for orange Tic-Tacs. Too soon, guys.

• Love 4
On 2016-11-12 at 2:31 PM, sistermagpie said:

Don’t underestimate the ability for people to brush off overtly racist language either, though. Many people will say that if somebody uses a slur just because they’re angry or whatever, that doesn’t mean they’re “really” racist. They were just angry in that moment or it was a slip of the tongue or whatever.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is. I don't understand if you are criticising the Trump camp (which I would find perfectly understandable) or whether you are trying to explain their behavior. If you feel like qualifying your post, I'd sure like to see what you felt your point was.

When I was in middle school, I had a friend who asked me if I'd like to hear a joke. I said, "Sure. I'd like to hear a joke." He said, "I've just heard that Jews are really not bad people as long as they stay in their place. Do you know where that place is?" I told him I didn't know and he told me, "The ovens."

When I made it clear to him that I didn't find that funny, he said to me, "Oh Come On! It's just a joke". I took a good lesson away from that exchange.  IMHO, he is clearly a racist. I never wanted anything more to do with him after that. Perhaps that's because I am Jewish. But I think it goes deeper than that.

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 8

Isn't Andrew on shaky ground for reelection in 2018

I'm not sure. I know there are people who dislike but as I said, I really like him. IMO, many of the people who don't like him are the ones that voted for Trump (I have no proof of that, just my feeling). YMMV

3 hours ago, Padma said:

I might not have hated Christie's people that much (as much as Bannon's or Pence's, let's say).  But it still made me laugh to hear that there's been a "Stalinesque purge" of Chris and everyone he had been planning to transition in (inc. Mike Rogers).  Not sure who he ticked off and why--I'm sure its about more than Bridgegate--but he's gone, gone, gone.

Giuliani is so bubbly and happy now, it makes me wonder if he's the guy behind the purge. "Knives were out".

Christie put Jared Kushner's daddy, Charles, in prison.

'In 2004, Christie as U.S. attorney for New Jersey prosecuted the government's case against Kushner's father, Charles Kushner, the real estate executive, philanthropist and political donor. The elder Kushner pleaded guilty in federal court to 18 felonies, including making illegal campaign contributions and evading taxes.'

From NJ.com.

I especially like what Ivanka's daddy-in-law did here:

'The elder Kushner was also convicted of witness tampering after he hired a prostitute to seduce his sister's husband, who was cooperating the the federal government's case against him, and sent a videotape of the encounter to her.'

It's, almost, comic except...

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Christie put Jared Kushner's daddy, Charles, in prison

Jared's revenge game against Christie has actually been pretty impressive. I remember reading that story over the summer when people kept thinking Christie might be VP, and hearing that maybe it was Jared that stopped that out of revenge for his father.

You would imagine that they would then cut Christie out of everything. But, no, they put him in charge of the transition. They gave him power. And then once he thought things were going his way, they yanked the entire thing out from him, taking away all of his hopes and dreams. It's kind of an evil genius type of revenge plot.

I'd enjoy it a lot more if it weren't also putting the country in dire straits. Christie, for all his corruption and his faults, doesn't terrify me the way some of these others do.

Of course, the news is saying it's all because of Bridgegate and how he had to go, but Bridgegate's been around for a long time and it's never mattered before. I also can't imagine this bunch getting all worked up over some sort of corruption like that. But, "He wronged me and my family!" Yeah, that I can believe.

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, crayon78 said:

Jared's revenge game against Christie has actually been pretty impressive. I remember reading that story over the summer when people kept thinking Christie might be VP, and hearing that maybe it was Jared that stopped that out of revenge for his father.

You would imagine that they would then cut Christie out of everything. But, no, they put him in charge of the transition. They gave him power. And then once he thought things were going his way, they yanked the entire thing out from him, taking away all of his hopes and dreams. It's kind of an evil genius type of revenge plot.

I'd enjoy it a lot more if it weren't also putting the country in dire straits. Christie, for all his corruption and his faults, doesn't terrify me the way some of these others do.

Of course, the news is saying it's all because of Bridgegate and how he had to go, but Bridgegate's been around for a long time and it's never mattered before. I also can't imagine this bunch getting all worked up over some sort of corruption like that. But, "He wronged me and my family!" Yeah, that I can believe.

So Jared Drumpf's father breaks the law, gets caught and ends up in jail but it's Christie's fault because he did his job? M'kay,got it........What a bunch of tweens they are! 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, onthebrink03 said:

Hmmm, the FBI doing a background check on The Orange Stain and his motley crew?  Now why am I thinking that nothing will come of this?  Why am I thinking we won't see James Comey calling a press conference to talk about finding any irregularities or possible illegal shenanigans?  Why am I so cynical about this?  Why? Why Why?

Seriously LOD, like the FBI matters. Maddow reported yesterday right before his show came on that the Trump team isn't even returning the phone calls of our top security agencies. Why? Because they don't intend to use them, at least not with the current staffing in place.  He is going to clean house and become a dictator. Why on earth would anyone believe that there would be background checks on any grand dragon's appointees? Why? I don't get that thinking, some of us are still not fully grasping just how dead our form of government truly is. Poor Obama, trying to assist in a smooth transition, what a joke, he's wasting his time.  Bannon is his right hand klansman and Bannon doesn't like our government, so why would his klansman boss need to take any counsel on how things work in our government from the outgoing president when he plans to change it?

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 9
Just now, PatsyandEddie said:

So Jared Drumpf's father breaks the law, gets caught and ends up in jail but it's Christie's fault because he did his job? M'kay,got it........What a bunch of tweens they are! 

Not only that but it appears they went out of their way to not only vanquish Cristie but to also provide a total humiliation.

As @crayon78 pointed out, they kept him around! Elevated him with teases of perhaps higher elevations? Christie was pwned.

That's worth a small chuckle.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Padma said:

I'd feel a lot better if there were 49 Democratic senators rather than 48. A difference of one, but puts it closer. I don't know why no one is talking about helping this Dem in a runoff in Louisiana:

http://www.nola.com/elections/index.ssf/2016/11/kennedy_campbell_louisiana_sen.html

I've been talking about Louisiana for days but I think it gets lost sometimes in all the posts. It's one of the things we can do in the near term to try to make things better. I would phone bank but I'm not sure how receptive people would be to someone clearly not from the state calling them. I do wish more people were talking about it but am also not sure if it would make things worse if more prominent Republicans got involved too. 

• Love 3

Here's a legit petition to sign

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/provide-electoral-college-vote-mr-trumps-tax-returns-do-due-diligence-potential-conflicts-interest

We request that the Vice President, as President of the Senate and presiding officer during the Joint Session of Congress, January 6, 2017, require or refer to appropriate governmental entities and direct that they require, on behalf of State Electors, that Mr. Trump provide to Electors his federal income tax returns and supporting documents for 2006-2015 by December 12, 2016, to enable Electors, before they vote, to 1) assess his qualifications to serve as President without impeachable conflicts of interest or the appearance of impropriety given his adult children’s continuing association with his companies and Transition and his failure to release tax returns; or 2) switch their vote unless he places his assets in a true blind trust or otherwise properly divests them by December 19, 2016

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

We need George Carlin. Even the ultra-cranky old guy he morphed into before he left us.

The only video anyone needs to watch to have America explained: 

For those who'd rather read:

"There's a reason education SUCKS, and it's the same reason that it will never, ever, ever be fixed. It's never going to get any better, don't look for it, be happy with what you've got. Because the owners of this country don't want that. I'm talking about the REAL owners, now. The REAL owners, the BIG WEALTHY business interests that control things and make all the important decisions -- forget the politicians. The politicians are put there to give you the idea that you have freedom of choice. YOU DON'T. You have no choice. You have OWNERS. They OWN YOU. They own EVERYTHING. They own all the important land, they own and control the corporations; they've long since bought and paid for the Senate, the Congress, the State houses, the City Halls; they've got the judges in their back pockets, and they own all the big media companies so they control just about all the news and information you get to hear. They gotcha by the BALLS. They spend billions of dollars every year lobbying -- lobbying to get what they want. Well, we know what they want -- they want MORE for themselves and less for everybody else. But I'll tell you what they don't want. They DON'T want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well-informed, well-educated people capable of critical thinking. They're not interested in that, that doesn't help them. That's against their interests. That's right. They don't want people who are smart enough to sit around the kitchen table and figure out how badly they're getting FUCKED by system that threw them overboard 30 fuckin' years ago. They don't want that. You know what they want? They want OBEDIENT WORKERS. OBEDIENT WORKERS. People who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork, and just dumb enough to passably accept all these increasingly shittier jobs with the lower pay, the longer hours, the reduced benefits, the end of overtime, and the vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it. And now they're comin' for your SOCIAL SECURITY MONEY. They want your fuckin' retirement money. They want it BACK. So they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street. And you know something? They'll get it. They'll get it ALL from you sooner or later -- 'cuz they OWN this fuckin' place. It's a big CLUB. And YOU AIN'T IN IT. You and I are NOT IN the big club. By the way, it's the same big club they use to beat you over the head with all day long when they tell you what to believe. All day long, beating you over the in their media telling you what to believe -- what to think -- and what to buy. The table is tilted, folks. The game is rigged. And nobody seems to notice. Nobody seems to care. Good honest hard-workin people -- white collar, blue collar -- doesn't matter what color shirt you have on. Good honest hard-workin people CONTINUE -- these are people of modest means -- continue to elect these RICH COCKSUCKERS who don't GIVE a fuck about them. They don't give a fuck about you, they don't GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU. T HEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU -- AT ALL. AT ALL. AT ALL. You know? And nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care ... that's what the owners count on, the fact that Americans will probably remain willfully ignorant of the big red, white and blue dick that's being jammed up their assholes every day. Because the owners of this country know the truth -- it's called the American Dream ... 'cuz you have to be asleep to believe it."

@lordonia - all the signatures in the world won't force Trump do to renounce anything. The best we can try for now is to put enough pressure on the current Administration to not allow the transition to happen. I realize this is exactaly what we're afraid of Trump doing; but I'm willing to be a hyprocrit in the name of keeping a White Supremacist and a demagogue & his family out of the White House.

Here's contact info for the White House https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/write-or-call

Remember: express your concerns and fears but be respectful!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, random chance said:

If I were writing this apocalypse sci-fi, I'd have Cruz do this just so he can stick it to Trump by making all Liberal decisions.

Hahahaha, that thought does make me laugh....  Then again, Earl Warren was appointed w/ the expectation that he'd be conservative, and students of history know what he meant to SCOTUS.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

I'm not sure exactly what your point is. I don't understand if you are criticising the Trump camp (which I would find perfectly understandable) or whether you are trying to explain their behavior. If you feel like qualifying your post, I'd sure like to see what you felt your point was.

I guess both--explaining and criticizing. I've been seriously amazed at how hard it is to get some people to identify anything as racist. Even yelling an actual racial slur. It's like the only thing that's really racism is a person whose intentions are purely and entirely about an irrational hatred of someone from another race etc.  24/7.

Btw, what a horrid joke that guy told. I wouldn't even call it a joke. Yipes.

• Love 4

Episode 52 of Keepin' It 1600 is interesting for how it sums up possible appointments. But I don't recommend it if you're still feeling panicky because it's not the most reassuring. Around the 18:30 mark they tell you to call the district office of your senators and going to their town halls to voice your concerns about the staff positions that require Senate confirmation.

Am so thankful for this support thread. Happy that so many care so deeply for our country and it's people! Your passion is to be admired and fills me with hope.

I am a music person. Always wake up with a song in my head. Last Wednesday morning I couldn't get REM's song "It's the End of the World As We Know It" out of my mind. Now it's Lennon's "Instant Karma". 

Hope that means I am dealing with my shock in a healthy way, ha ha. 

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Apparently 1.1 million people were denied the ability to vote. Of course no one cares and the media is barely reporting on it, because we all know by now that the Constitution does not matter. http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/uncategorised/donald-trump-was-right-the-election-was-rigged-in-his-favour/15/11/

Wow.  I knew it was bad with the Voting Rights Act change, but this article is very sobering...off to research this further.  The hits just keep coming, don't they?

Wow.  I knew it was bad with the Voting Rights Act change, but this article is very sobering...off to research this further.

Greg Palast knows his stuff, and has uncovered all sorts of voter suppression in previous elections (I first read about him when he uncovered the more than 55,000 black voters in FL who were incorrectly identified as felons and thus improperly denied their right to vote/have their vote counted in 2000, but that's just one example from his career of investigative reporting; he's been sounding the alarm for a long time).  I've set the article aside to digest properly tomorrow, but it's a must-read.

• Love 1

Do not post the same thing in multiple topics. This topic is for people who are anxious over the election results. Cute bunnies, Joe Biden memes, conversation about the election results in general, suggestions for organizations to support, those are all good here.

lhZ1mvq.gif

• Love 9

Folks if you’re looking for an environmental group to support, please don’t forget the Sierra Club

Founded by legendary conservationist John Muir in 1892, the Sierra Club is now the nation's largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization -- with more than two million members and supporters. Our successes range from protecting millions of acres of wilderness to helping pass the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and Endangered Species Act. More recently, we've made history by leading the charge to move away from the dirty fossil fuels that cause climate disruption and toward a clean energy economy.

All of these things are under threat by a Trump administration.

Current donations will be matched one-for-one up to $1 million.

http://www.sierraclub.org/

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I personally have found Neil Diamond's "Red Red Wine" to be very soothing the past week. 

Mine (don't laugh) is Barry Manilow's Let Freedom Ring. Anyone unfamiliar with it, who cares, should be able to find a video on YouTube. I can also provide the names of CDs on which it can be found, if anyone's interested. It should also be on iTunes &/or Amazon Music Downloads.

• Love 3