Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

2 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

Never normal. Never.

I don't buy the argument I read somewhere that says, "Well, he got elected, so he's already normalized." The ever-loving fuck?? This shit needs to stop. It is not normal. We have a radical regime ready and willing  to take down the country and declare open season on a lot of Americans. Enough of this gambling on "Oh, it'll all go back to business as usual once everything simmers down." Yo, America? This is NOT a winning hand we have, OK? 

I went to the GIve to the Max site today and funded about ten different causes - Planned Parenthood, environmental agencies, LGBTQ advocacies. I clicked submit and got an error and so I resubmitted and, oops, got charged twice and donated twice. I have never been so happy about a computer glitch in my life. In fact, I went back and donated to one additional group. 

That felt amazing.

This made me tear up .... in a good way. There are still good people out there.

• Love 7

I refuse to normalize it. I'm not shutting up. I may get annoyed and frustrated but I bounce back. I just posted this on facebook and stated that I have 8 years, 13 days (and counting) to complain about Trump since that's how long people have been complaining about Obama.

(Image was posted on twitter by https://twitter.com/Anthony)

lol.jpg

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 17

Sigh. So I just made the mistake of watching the Fine Brothers' React video on the election. And some people that seemed like nice, pleasant, fun people on the other videos showed themselves to have some really, really unpleasant views. Old guys suddenly foaming at the mouth about Clinton and about Bill's affairs, a young woman saying 'what's the big deal?' about Trump's sexual assaults, a Muslim guy who just seemed to think Trump was awesome, even though he later talked about how wrong he was about Muslims.

This is what happens, I guess. You think people are normal and you think you have common ground with them, and then something like this reveals the truth. How could you take a woman seriously who thinks it's fine for men to talk about assaulting women? How could you listen to an old man bleat on about "American values" while also saying that Obamacare has helped no one, and not think how selfish he is? Kind of ruined a lot of their videos for me, now. 

I also wonder why they picked the people they did for this particular video. Several old men, some older women, and a few college age kids (three of whom clearly come from very red states). And none of them seem like the more aware, politically engaged sort. Ah well, I guess this just serves as a cross section of American society.

Although it did have one little girl who said, "Be a good person, don't build the wall...And get a haircut." So there's that, at least.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

She's your friend, so you'd know better, but I read her response the opposite way you did.  To me, she's being sarcastic and agreeing with you: She's mocking the position that it's being offended that's wrong, not being offensive.  That it's despising hate and intolerance that's awful, not being hateful and intolerant. 

Agree, particularly with her last line. She's talking about "defending this evil" and I'm pretty sure she means Trump/voting for Trump.

I hope that's what she means. She's usually very eloquent and well-spoken, so I'm a bit perplexed here. I'm not sure how to approach this. I ended up deleting the post. I know I'm being overly sensitive lately. I'm the sort of person who hates conflict and usually just keeps my mouth shut but I'm just so tired of biting my tongue. I just can't anymore.

• Love 6

I called Susan Collins' ME office (207-780-3575) and left a comment with a human that the Senator's efforts to protect women and her voice speaking out against Trump have been noticed all the way in CA and that we appreciate any assistance she can provide protecting us as a country from the Trump Administration. The gentleman taking my message sounded really happy to hear from a California Democrat.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I called Susan Collins' ME office (207-780-3575) and left a comment with a human that the Senator's efforts to protect women and her voice speaking out against Trump have been noticed all the way in CA and that we appreciate any assistance she can provide protecting us as a country from the Trump Administration. The gentleman taking my message sounded really happy to hear from a California Democrat.

This cannot be said enough. People, we have to call.

Folks think, "I'm only one person." Well, that's all it takes. One and one and one and one and on and on .... everyone.... CALL  

• Love 9

I think the fact that so many of us (at least, it seems so) woke up with "not a normal" sense of loss after the election speaks to how abnormal this is. And how many people have said that if Rubio or Bush or Kasich had been elected, they would have been concerned, but not terrified. 

It's knowing that the Orange Menace is nothing but an empty psychopathic attention whore shitstain and now everyone hangs on his whims (that have revealed themselves to be, time and again, horrible for our country's values) that means shit ain't going to go on as usual. 

In fact, had Cruz or Rubio won, in some ways, it would be harder to resist a hard core move to a right wing theocracy because they are "normal." Had they won, the resistance would be much more muted. But we have a psychopath primed to step in and it's going to take all of us to keep remembering that this is not normal and not acceptable. 

• Love 15

I think the fact that so many of us (at least, it seems so) woke up with "not a normal" sense of loss after the election speaks to how abnormal this is. And how many people have said that if Rubio or Bush or Kasich had been elected, they would have been concerned, but not terrified. 

It's knowing that the Orange Menace is nothing but an empty psychopathic attention whore shitstain and now everyone hangs on his whims (that have revealed themselves to be, time and again, horrible for our country's values) that means shit ain't going to go on as usual. 

In fact, had Cruz or Rubio won, in some ways, it would be harder to resist a hard core move to a right wing theocracy because they are "normal." Had they won, the resistance would be much more muted. But we have a psychopath primed to step in and it's going to take all of us to keep remembering that this is not normal and not acceptable. 

I agree.  I don't like seeing people whitewash Bush or McCain or Romney.  They are all horrible.  Bush was horrible.  Bush passed the Patriot Act and threw people in jail without due process.  None of them would be okay.  Trump may be scarier because he's unpredictable, but none of them wouldn't destroy this country in their own ways.

• Love 6

Someone I know had said politics is boring, she didn't even register to vote "because then you get called for jury duty".  Oh, and who cares, really, Trump, Clinton, they're both corrupt."     She also thinks "Obamacare"  should be abolished because it's so expensive - she can't believe she pays $200/ month!  

So now, she's worried, because Trump is going to take away her health care plan.   I can't sympathize - she didn't vote!  

As  far as I'm concerned, people who didn't vote - voted for Trump.  People who wrote in candidates, or voted for third party candidates - voted for Trump.  They let this happen, and they are responsible.

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

THIS !! bears repeating again and again. (imo)

• Love 1

Gotta second the idea of calling representatives or Senators who are calling the Orange Menace out on his shit and refusing to call it normal. 

I called the office of Ruben Gallego (from Arizona) because the house thugs tried to keep him from saying what we all know is the truth

Two minutes to tell the person on the other end of the line, "hi, I'm a voter from Minnesota, and I just wanted to thank the Congressman for his words." And the man on the other end said, "Thank you. You can look forward to more of it." 

Rays of hope, folks. The sky ain't fucking green.

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, backformore said:

Someone I know had said politics is boring, she didn't even register to vote "because then you get called for jury duty".  Oh, and who cares, really, Trump, Clinton, they're both corrupt."     She also thinks "Obamacare"  should be abolished because it's so expensive - she can't believe she pays $200/ month!  

So now, she's worried, because Trump is going to take away her health care plan.   I can't sympathize - she didn't vote!  

As  far as I'm concerned, people who didn't vote - voted for Trump.  People who wrote in candidates, or voted for third party candidates - voted for Trump.  They let this happen, and they are responsible.

I agree and 200 sounds not too bad considering what I was paying awhile back (Years ago). Anyway, I heard some comedian say that someone wrote in his vote as "a bag of tarantulas" Again... wasted vote. so.... 

Gotta second the idea of calling representatives or Senators who are calling the Orange Menace out on his shit and refusing to call it normal. 

I called the office of Ruben Gallego (from Arizona) because the house thugs tried to keep him from saying what we all know is the truth

Two minutes to tell the person on the other end of the line, "hi, I'm a voter from Minnesota, and I just wanted to thank the Congressman for his words." And the man on the other end said, "Thank you. You can look forward to more of it." 

BBM

Ok this *is* my new motto!

10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I called Susan Collins' ME office (207-780-3575) and left a comment with a human that the Senator's efforts to protect women and her voice speaking out against Drumpf have been noticed all the way in CA and that we appreciate any assistance she can provide protecting us as a country from the Drumpf Administration. The gentleman taking my message sounded really happy to hear from a California Democrat.

He's just hoping you take him with you when you secede.

I have to say, reading and hearing about California's all-Democrat state government, and their avowedly liberal, progressive attitude, and their defiance of Trump and Trumpism, has really warmed my heart. I'm not an American, but to me, this attitude displayed by Californian politicians since the election is everything America should be. Open, inclusive, optimistic, tolerant and innovative.

I also like that they're a living example of what can happen if you get rid of Republican obstructionists and let smart, disciplined Democrats do their job. Budget surplus of $2.8billion next year, anyone?

• Love 11

So glad to read Senator Elizabeth Warren tweet out against Trump's proposed Muslim Registry.  Called her office in DC to let her know , I stand with  her on this issue.  Also contacted offices of many GOP Senators today & was surprised to hear staff members tell me their senators would never support legislation which took Constitutional Rights away from any Americans.  Keep making those phone calls.  The more people who call &  keep telling GOP Senate & House members how Dangerous & Un-American a Muslim Registry or Registries for Americans of any Ethnic Heritage would be......I think we have a chance to turn this around!

• Love 11

I have to say, reading and hearing about California's all-Democrat state government, and their avowedly liberal, progressive attitude, and their defiance of Trump and Trumpism, has really warmed my heart. I'm not an American, but to me, this attitude displayed by Californian politicians since the election is everything America should be. Open, inclusive, optimistic, tolerant and innovative.

I also like that they're a living example of what can happen if you get rid of Republican obstructionists and let smart, disciplined Democrats do their job. Budget surplus of $2.8billion next year, anyone?

Exactly.

This is the state that I wanted the Democrats to campaign on. I could not understand why they weren't giving voters concrete examples of what can happen in a state when you vote for democrats up and down the ballot. Like see look at all the progressive policies we've passed in this state,  list them specifically. Look at the economy in the state of CA compared to economies around the world because of these policies. Well, all of this was done via democratic leadership. I mean you have all these republican led states that suck, so wouldn't it make sense to point out at least one state where dems. have been able to push forward their policies and have now come out on the other side better for it?

But again, instead of focusing solely on their base, they were off trying to take FL and NC which they didn't need and they were trying to get republican moderate women, please. 

• Love 5

Another petition that I think is worth taking the minute to sign, just in case. And also, call representatives making the same request. If we have to deal with the aftermath of having this mess of a president, let's at least make sure it was a legitimate win (at least according to electoral college). I had read that it is better to call their local numbers and not the DC ones.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/810/285/388/

Also, click on each of these to automatically send this message to various organizations' twitter feeds. I know we've all heard phone/letter is best, but why not do everything and bombard them from many angles? ETA:  Send these SLOWLY, not all at once. That's triggering Twitter spam alerts for some people (I didn't read this in time...oops).

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 5

Potential good news for fans of subversive animation: Cartoon Network will be running new episode of Adventure Time on Saturday. But then I remember that the show is set in Ooo, which is basically Earth after the "Mushroom Wars," and I have to think, "Gee, how could that have happened?!?"

I read somewhere that a big Trump weakness (I mean, aside from everything about him) is his dislike of being unpopular. He can't stand it and he can't let go of it. The more he knows just how unpopular he is with a majority of Americans, the more GOP Congress will pull away from him, just like in the primaries. They have elections in 2018 to think about (some of them). They'll keep the obedient Trump ignoramus voters no matter what - they won't necessarily keep the ones who voted for "change" if the change is unpopular or associated with a giant mess in Washington.  

So, no letting up on how the majority of this country reviles this menace and how unpopular he already is. 

I've read that Facebook and Google are trying to tamp down on the fake news that gets blasted all over social media and becomes fact instead of fiction. 

And, a list of corporations (including Nike and Starbucks) that is petitioning DT to not pull out of the Paris Climate Treaty is in the works. How's he going to like being unpopular with those corporations?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, backformore said:

Someone I know had said politics is boring, she didn't even register to vote "because then you get called for jury duty".  O

OMG that myth drives me crazy! If she pays taxes or has a drivers license she's in the frelling jury pool!

1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

Thank you for another person to add to my call list!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

So, no letting up on how the majority of this country reviles this menace and how unpopular he already is. 

Word (and to your prior post as well). This is not the time to go back to our lives and hope for the best. Even if it's just pushing back on Facebook or putting post it notes in the Subway or not buying Nazi Balance sneakers, it's action and small actions can accumulate into something too big to ignore.

• Love 8

A little over a week after the election debacle, I am past most of my surface reactions. That is, no more debilitating grief, anger, etc. But any glimmer of hope I had that Trump's campaign rhetoric was just noise and he would become a more centrist, possibly reasonable POTUS disappeared with the appointment of Bannon. Appointing a known white supremacist to a critical position in his administration tells me everything I need to know about Trump's plans as POTUS. The discussion of a Muslim registry and references to the WW2 internment camps sicken me. I am afraid of exactly how far this country will sink. Trump isn't draining the swamp; on the contrary, he's pumping in hatred and bigotry on top of the corruption that was already there.

However, I refuse to give in without doing what I can to reverse this descent into the black hole of alt-right policies. So, I am contributing what I can to organizations such as Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, etc. I will call/write elected officials to protest or support as applicable. I will also call/write the various retailers who carry Ivanka's merchandise to let them know I will never buy anything from their stores again so long as they continue to carry her brand. (The one exception to this is Amazon, and that is strictly because apparently Trump hates Jeff Bezos, who also now owns the Washington Post, I believe. I do remember hearing Trump threatening to make life unpleasant for Bezos, so...if Trump hates him, I can let the Ivanka merchandise slide for a while. Although I will still request that they quit selling that crap.) Ditto for any companies who actively supported Trump.

The thing that is still up in the air for me is how to deal with a few friends who voted for Trump yet claim they are not racist, etc., and are calling for everybody to come together and be inclusive.  I would prefer not to burn any bridges, but it is taking every ounce of restraint I have not to scream at them, "You voted for someone who believes that both my daughter and I should have to go through conversion therapy to "pray the gay" out of us (or in our case, pray the pansexual out)."  I have written a "Why I'm Done with Trump Supporters" manifesto that I have not yet posted to my FB page; at least writing it helped me vent some anger even if I never go public with it. Right now, I'm compiling a long list of "don't come crying to me" scenarios to have on hand for later in this administration. Example: "You voted for someone who said he would essentially dismantle the EPA, so now that your town/city has turned into the next Flint, MI, don't come crying to me about your water quality. You got exactly what you voted for." Petty? Yes, but it is doing things like this, along with the larger gestures of donating to worthwhile causes, that is keeping me relatively sane.

Edited by BookWoman56
ETA info on Amazon
  • Love 14
6 minutes ago, Grommet said:

Word (and to your prior post as well). This is not the time to go back to our lives and hope for the best. Even if it's just pushing back on Facebook or putting post it notes in the Subway or not buying Nazi Balance sneakers, it's action and small actions can accumulate into something too big to ignore.

THIS!

That is all.

• Love 3

Thank you to the people who posted about the Grab Your Wallet boycott movement.  I've spent the afternoon using their wonderful interactive spreadsheet with links right to the customer service departments of 50 retailers, companies and publications who are in some way connected to the Trumps to tell them politely and succinctly that I will be boycotting them.  For some of us shy folks, it's a good warm-up for calls to our representatives!

Link to Grab Your Wallet boycott spreadsheet

• Love 4

And, a list of corporations (including Nike and Starbucks) that is petitioning DT to not pull out of the Paris Climate Treaty is in the works. How's he going to like being unpopular with those corporations?

Speaking of, I gotta get rid of my New Balance sneakers, it shouldn't surprise me that they supported that thing. If I remember correctly I think the company was founded in apartheid South Africa. Seems like old habits die hard, they clearly haven't changed. 

5 minutes ago, SuspiciousMind said:

Thank you to the people who posted about the Grab Your Wallet boycott movement.  I've spent the afternoon using their wonderful interactive spreadsheet with links right to the customer service departments of 50 retailers, companies and publications who are in some way connected to the Trumps to tell them politely and succinctly that I will be boycotting them.  For some of us shy folks, it's a good warm-up for calls to our representatives!

Link to Grab Your Wallet boycott spreadsheet

Oh great, Amazon is on the list, OK.

• Love 1

I agree with all of the above. I will no longer buy anything ANYTHING  from businesses that supported Agent Orange. There I said it.

It may not seem like  much at a glance; but if we do it by the thousands, people will feel it and I certainly hope so.

Sorry guys. I'm so damn mad and scared.  My person has lost an election before, but I have never felt this sense of impending dread and despair

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Speaking of, I gotta get rid of my New Balance sneakers, it shouldn't surprise me that they supported that thing. If I remember correctly I think the company was founded in apartheid South Africa. Seems like old habits die hard, they clearly haven't changed. 

Oh great, Amazon is on the list, OK.

You took the words right out of my mouth about Amazon. Dang it. I use them whenever I have to get something I can't get locally. For example: Had to buy a Y cable through them as stores in my area didn't carry them. Needed it for the external hard drive that I use with my Wii U.

35 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

I have written a "Why I'm Done with Trump Supporters" manifesto that I have not yet posted to my FB page; at least writing it helped me vent some anger even if I never go public with it.

I would totally read it if you posted it here. Trial balloon, if you will. 

37 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Interesting. And astute. I like the cut of your jib!

I may be a tad alarmist in all this, but I honestly believe that he's coming into office when things are at a fever pitch right now. It would be nearly impossible to deescalate this global situation if Gandhi and his running mate, Nelson Mandela just became our nation's new administration. We have the polar opposite of that dream team. Trump and his ilk look like a Denver airport art mural. I seriously am wondering if, in four years, we'll actually be in a position to elect a new president. Will we be here? Will they have overturned democracy? I don't generally go this far with conspiracies and paranoia, but I don't think it's terribly out in left field in this instance.

Thank you! And I'm normally not this close to tin-foil hats myself, but I agree with you - it seems far from off the table. I'm not in a position to quit my day job or change my career to "professional protester," but damn if I'm not going to incorporate every bit of resistance and education and awareness into my life now. Can't afford "business as usual", either. I'm not going to be soothed by people who tell me that, "no, no....he couldn't possibly do that."

Are they fucking kidding me? I'm sick and tired of watching that line get drawn again and again. He will do it. We have to try to survive at least until we have a chance in 2018 to try to fight the majority in Congress.

One more article I read that confirms the world is upside down. I agree with Orrin Hatch and Lindsey Graham. They actually say we won't vote to end the filibuster - it's too important for minority protection. The Repubs used the filibuster ad nauseum to protect themselves from evil old Obama. If the Dems and true blue never Trumpers can keep the filibuster, it keeps one more obstacle in place against a coup of Orange Thing.

My head. It spins. It spits green pea soup. It dreams of alien abduction, which sounds far more pleasant these days. 

Again, dang, I am so glad you guys are here. Thank you, thank you, mods for keeping this forum open! 

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, potatoradio said:

Thank you for doing that. What a great article, but my mood was ruined by reading all of those ridiculous comments from the warped readers. Talking about how he was a poor excuse for a person and Marine, and how Trump was going to make the US great. How are we surrounded by these loonies? I'm glad that I live in my social media free bubble because I would go to bed pissed off every night knowing I share the same oxygen as these idiots. 

• Love 1

I, too, will totally read your manifesto, BW56 !

Same.

Confession: I disliked Trump forever and was totally soured on him after seeing him in a restaurant. In the late 90s I worked for a small consulting company. The pay wasn't great but our bosses did things like take us to the best restaurants and pay for hours long happy hours. We worked across from a fantastic restaurant. We'd all bring clients there and groups would go there constantly for dinner. We knew all the people that worked there. LOL they liked us because our bosses gave huge tips (and we were nice!). I recall the night Trump was there because there was also an actor from General Hospital there. People were "oh its Trump" and I was like "who cares!".  After Trump left people asked how he was, etc. The waiter (extremely nice guy) said he was rude and left a really shitty tip.  OT: The bartender told the GH actor that I was a fan who didn't want to bother him and after his associate left he came over, bought drinks and hung out chatting with me and my friends for over an hour. I think I still have an autographed piece of paper somewhere. 

When Trump first starting running I at first thought maybe I was so against him just because I've always found him obnoxious. Oh, what I would give for that to have been the case. :(

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 5

The problem for New Balance isn't so much its VP's statement, which as I understand it was more about opposition to the TPP than about support for Donald. It's the fact that white supremacists have now proclaimed New Balance the official shoes of white people and want to turn them into a kind of modern day Klan robe, except you can wear them all the time, not just at cross-burnings and what-not, and say that they'll be able to identify like-minded people by the shoes they wear. New Balance has tried to denounce that, but since I'd prefer not to have some neo-Nazi try to cozy up to me based on my footwear, I'm not going to be buying their shoes any longer. And I love their shoes, but I love not being associated with hate groups more. It's too bad for New Balance that one ill-thought-out comment has turned into a PR nightmare for them, but the sooner that everyone -- corporations and individuals -- learn what a destructive mistake the election and normalization of Trump and his ilk are, the sooner we can get to correcting this mistake.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, fishcakes said:

The problem for New Balance isn't so much its VP's statement, which as I understand it was more about opposition to the TPP than about support for Donald. It's the fact that white supremacists have now proclaimed New Balance the official shoes of white people and want to turn them into a kind of modern day Klan robe, except you can wear them all the time, not just at cross-burnings and what-not, and say that they'll be able to identify like-minded people by the shoes they wear. New Balance has tried to denounce that, but since I'd prefer not to have some neo-Nazi try to cozy up to me based on my footwear, I'm not going to be buying their shoes any longer. And I love their shoes, but I love not being associated with hate groups more. It's too bad for New Balance that one ill-thought-out comment has turned into a PR nightmare for them, but the sooner that everyone -- corporations and individuals -- learn what a destructive mistake the election and normalization of Trump and his ilk are, the sooner we can get to correcting this mistake.

Argh, I didn't know that.   I'm not sure where else I'm going to find my son's 9 1/2 6E shoes.

44 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

New Balance started in Massachusetts, they still have manufacturing facilities in the U.S.

Endorsement Controversy

I know what it was, I think they sponsored sporting events in South Africa during Apartheid.  Oh wait it wasn't New Balance, it was Reebok, Reebok is the South African brand.

It's too bad for New Balance that one ill-thought-out comment has turned into a PR nightmare for them

Yeah, because they make a good sneaker. Damn, why can't people individually and as corporations just act right, LOL.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1

I don't have anything meaningful to add, I just wanted to say, I'm so sorry about your friend, ari333 but thank you for telling us that.  Every day there's a new wave of,  "Look, you'll just have to acc..." 

And then there are waves of reports of assaults, bullying, people being harassed and targeted.  I've never shed a bitter tear over an election before this  -- cried fucking grateful buckets both time Obama was elected and I felt so proud of my country both times -- and this time, I literally spent a day in bed crying.   This is not a normal reaction for me.  This has not been a normal election. 

Years ago, when my son was a toddler, I had a next door neighbor who was really kind of an awesome man.  He's long dead, I'm sure as he was well into his 70s when I met him.  He'd fought in WWII and Vietnam because he was career Air Force.  Good man.  He was with one of the companies in Berlin, after the fall of the Third Reich and he used to tell me stories about what it was like.  One day he was showing me his memorabilia and he handed me a small, oval bronze disk and told me what it was.  It was stamped with a Swastika.  It was carried by the SS and presented to people as a way of demanding their papers.  Extra intimidation, so they wouldn't even need to demand the papers verbally first.  That is the only time in my life I was ever almost sick just from the concept of touching something that had been used to terrorize frightened, hunted, persecuted people to their deaths. 

That's what comes with registries.   Demands for credentials from people but it's 2016 so you damned well know it isn't going to just be "register on this form with our current address" which is deplorable in and of itself they'll tell people they have to carry some gps enabled thing wherever they go. 

This is the kind of thing that's being mulled by Trump and his team of scared, primarily old, hateful men.  It was discussed before the damned election too, so the people for whom I have the least respect right now are the people who didn't even fucking bother to vote.  

Oh sure, the people who voted Trump in have none of my respect either for the particulars of their action but at least they were willing to damn well participate.  Would that they had not. 

Hatefulness can actually be changed.  People can learn and grow if they want to.  Apathy in the face of this kind of shit?  Yeah, I have a message for them:  You know that old "First they came for...." that has been misused and abused by the right for all manner of petty grievances?  I'm taking it back. 

First,  they came for the Muslims and we....bodily threw those apathetic, non-voting fools into their path because if they can't be of use at least they can be grist for the mill in slowing down machine.   

Cleary, I'm not being literal but their apathy will not outlast the first damned thing that is done to them and may their waking sensation be every bit as painful  as the week we've all endured in a condensed form.  Yeah, those people piss me off.   If you can't bestir yourself to try and have a voice in a coutnry trying to give you one, then may you be the very first to experience what it is like in having your voice taken from you. 

ETA:  And I threw the only two pairs of New Balance sneakers I owned into the trash two days ago.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 18

Does anyone have the actual whole  narrative (it's not too long) of the,  "first they came for...."

I've read it. It is moving and bears repeating. I haven't seen it here, but somewhere else. I'd post it, but I cant remember exactly how it goes.

Here you go:  

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out— 
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out— 
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 14

Now I'm wondering if peeps should buy New Balance so the nazis can't appropriate them. (Assuming the pro trump stance is truly anti TTP.) Why let those assholes have a way to identify each other? Make them wear the white robes.

• Love 1

Trump scares the crap out of me and I am a white and straight, I  have a question, Do you think  the Senators and Congress who are up for election  in 2 years would be more resistant to Trump and willing to go against him than those who are in for the next 4  years with him

• Love 4