Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

Okay, so last night I had a nightmare that I was going for a walk with into the beach areas, with someone who I didn't know nor recognize, I guess a neighbor.  Anyway, we got a little lost and ended up on a block where there was a huge house with Nazi flags and folks standing around wearing Nazi-esque.  I was apoplectic and frightened. Never in my *coughty* years on this planet, even with watching TV shows or movie sabout Nazis or with Nazi symbolism before going to sleep,  have I EVER dreamed about anything Nazi related.  I hope it's the one and only time I have that fucking nightmare. 

Anyway, I was terrified and  I was trying to NOPE out of there ASAP and the person I was with was not troubled at all, didn't think it meant anything, didn't understand why I was upset. "Their idiots but I don't take them seriously".

And maybe that's just the bottom line to how Trump got elected. Those that saw the racism and the ties to the white nationalist movement just didn't care or they don't think they really meant it, treated it as a joke, 'It's campaign rhetoric". "Who cares about this Bannon guy? He won't be in the White House".  

Fucking Hell.

• Love 17
17 hours ago, potatoradio said:
1 minute ago, windsprints said:

I don't live in MD. I also know that twitter, etc. isn't the preferred method. But, I think it should be shared on twitter, facebook, etc. how Mr. Harris' office is treating his constituents. People should be sharing the names who don't care what Americans have to say. There's only 2 years until the midterm elections.

Potatoradio, sorry I didn't mean to quote you and I cant get it off

Windsprints, that is an excellent idea to make sure the word does get out.

So I made my donation to Planned Parenthood in honor of Mike Pence.  Do we have contact information for other appointees?  Can we make donations to, say, The Nature Conservancy or The Sierra Club in honor of Sarah Palin?  To the Southern Poverty Law Center or Jewish Defense League in honor of Steve Bannon?  What would be appropriate for Newt?  For Corpus Christie?  For Ghouliani?  Any ideas?

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

In fact, that looks like a great idea. Washington, Oregon, California, New England and the Eastern Seaboard down to Baltimore all secede and join Canada. Instantly, Canada becomes the most powerful country in the world and the USA becomes an irrelevant dustbowl of ignorance and intolerance.

Illinois too, I think.  Oh how I wish.

• Love 6

Just seeing on Twitter a few minutes ago that two Electors have decided to dump Rump and they're urging others to follow suit. Think there need to be 37 of these defections for it to overturn EC. Is there any prayer whatsoever that this might happen, especially if things continue as they have been with more appointments being announced that make one think they're watching something from The Walking Dead. It's apparent that Rump will never run this administration with a lick of sense. Is there anything in the universe that can change where this is headed short of a direct meteor hit?

• Love 8

BAB, makes me sick, blabbing how offended she is by "those people" still protesting the election results, then defending that monster Bannon when's he's called an anti-semite.  I'm sure it won't take long until she insists all these incidents of assaults, harassment, intimidation, White Supremacist/Klan inspired Vandalism, being unleashed against Minorities, Women, Gays, Hispanics, Asians, Jews, Muslims, Children, throughout the country (everyone her supposed "Christian" community considers "Un-American") have all been proven to be false, lies & are being blown out of proportion by that liberal (J-USA) media. My guess is Barbie will continue ignoring these hateful acts.......until they personally affect her "Good Christian Family of Ruskies."

• Love 6

Pamela Ramsay Taylor's remarks made me literally sick to my stomach. I mean, it is physically hurtful to hear such vile hatred.

I thought cockroaches ran away when you turned on the light? Trump's light is actually bringing the cockroaches out. Out and about and damn proud of themselves, too. I am terrified for every POC. (With all due respect to actual cockroaches. I know you are an ancient species and remarkable critters in your own ways.)

Okay. Coping. Here is a cute video (oldie but goodie):

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

Just seeing on Twitter a few minutes ago that two Electors have decided to dump Rump and they're urging others to follow suit. Think there need to be 37 of these defections for it to overturn EC. Is there any prayer whatsoever that this might happen, especially if things continue as they have been with more appointments being announced that make one think they're watching something from The Walking Dead. It's apparent that Rump will never run this administration with a lick of sense. Is there anything in the universe that can change where this is headed short of a direct meteor hit?

BBM (Bold By Me)

WHAT? REALLY? Can we be sure it' true? Bc if so , YAY> It is two steps in the right direction and all it takes is for some to do it others may follow. I'm not giving up yet.

• Love 6

Day two home from my trip - still heartbroken.  I managed to keep it together Wednesday packing and preparing, Thursday traveling - Friday through Sunday alone in a hotel room and swearing I would not over-drink or do anything stupid, since I was out-of-state, so now I'm safe at home (not responsible for a rental car or hotel room) and am on day two of drinking before noon in my meltdown.  I've been busily researching countries to live in on the cheap.  I'm terrified.  

The zombie hamster wheel election from hell has turned into a living hell.  I simply don't understand how this happened.  Bannon in the Oval Office?  Seriously?

I didn't read all the entries since I left for my trip but I offer this:

Dear ‘Brogressives’ — Please Let Women Mourn Hillary Clinton

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

So I made my donation to Planned Parenthood in honor of Mike Pence.  Do we have contact information for other appointees?  Can we make donations to, say, The Nature Conservancy or The Sierra Club in honor of Sarah Palin?  To the Southern Poverty Law Center or Jewish Defense League in honor of Steve Bannon?  What would be appropriate for Newt?  For Corpus Christie?  For Ghouliani?  Any ideas?

David Sheldrick Wildlife for Trump's sons. They're an amazing group that work against poachers and to save orphaned baby elephants, raise them and release them back into the wild years later. His son's trophy hunt and have posted pictures with dead lions, holding the tails of elephants they cut off after killing them, etc.

dump Rump

There you have it - 2020 slogan Dump Rump!

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, ari333 said:

BBM (Bold By Me)

WHAT? REALLY? Can we be sure it' true? Bc if so , YAY> It is two steps in the right direction and all it takes is for some to do it others may follow. I'm not giving up yet.

The version I read implied that they were Democrat electors, who were trying to convince Republicans to dump him. So it's not surprising that they'd try, but unless the GOP at large signed off on it, I don't think many would have the principles to do it.

And as we know, Paul Ryan has no moral courage whatsoever, and would never endorse anything as bold as this.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The version I read implied that they were Democrat electors, who were trying to convince Republicans to dump him. So it's not surprising that they'd try, but unless the GOP at large signed off on it, I don't think many would have the principles to do it.

And as we know, Paul Ryan has no moral courage whatsoever, and would never endorse anything as bold as this.

I wonder if he'd go for it knowing the Republicans could just pick someone else.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I wonder if he'd go for it knowing the Republicans could just pick someone else.

I hoped he might, if it turned out he could pick whoever he wanted (hell, I said that in a post earlier today). But the more I think about Ryan and the way he showed no backbone whatsoever during the campaign, the way he capitulated to Trump, even after endless mocking, tells me that he's more scared of being voted out by Trumpists than he is of the country being ruined.

• Love 10

If anybody wants to help out this guy Foster Campbell in Louisiana, it's one last Senate race and could really be a big deal. If we have a 51-49 Senate, that's pretty significant and means we'd only need TWO decent Republicans to help prevent ruinous things like stripping millions of their healthcare, etc. And I think the votes will be there from people like Susan Collins, Murkowski, maybe even some other people. They know it's not symbolic anymore and they have to govern now, so it's possible they'll try to prevent the worst harm from taking place.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

It's just so weird to me that I find myself, a lifelong Democrat, thinking about how wonderful a Romney administration sounds right now.

I'm even at the point where I wish Romney had been elected in 2012, because it would have delayed or maybe even totally prevented Trump's rise. I say this as a staunch Obama supporter who firmly opposed Romney in 2012. Plus, Romney has really impressed me with his firm Never Trump stance. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

If anybody wants to help out this guy Foster Campbell in Louisiana, it's one last Senate race and could really be a big deal. If we have a 51-49 Senate, that's pretty significant and means we'd only need TWO decent Republicans to help prevent ruinous things like stripping millions of their healthcare, etc. And I think the votes will be there from people like Susan Collins, Murkowski, maybe even some other people. They know it's not symbolic anymore and they have to govern now, so it's possible they'll try to prevent the worst harm from taking place.

The Democrats have to put as much as they can into winning that. It might not make much of a difference now, but they have to see this as 'one seat at a time'. If they won this, then won the governorships and state legislatures of Virginia and North Carolina next year, they could build real momentum for 2018.

New Orleans is liberal (like any big city), and they should focus on getting the message across to the people that this vote could have a big impact on their lives. Get people actually care. If they don't now, they never will.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

It's just so weird to me that I find myself, a lifelong Democrat, thinking about how wonderful a Romney administration sounds right now.

It's the strangest thing, isn't it? You are not alone in that thinking!  

Just checking in to say I'm still with you guys, and I'm still terrified.  I can't believe that a week ago I was practically walking on air with excitement and now here we are.  

And I'm very angry that nobody seems to care about his business conflicts of interest.  And you know, everything else.

• Love 13

I'm at the library. Saw a car with two bumper stickers supporting him. If only I could go Carrie Underwood upon it.

And yeah, I'm willing to start collecting eggs in the Electoral College Revolt Basket. The "winner" has the potential of being a Russian stooge. He doesn't believe in anything higher than himself, and he probably doesn't believe in America. And, once again, while a reversal might trigger a civil war with no set borders, it would be the funniest event in American history. We'd have to call up Derek Waters to do an entire episode of Drunk History about it the week after it happens.

Thinking about it . . . before last week, I was thinking that Hillary would win, and all of the opposition supporters (just the ones that endorsed him at rallies) would have to wear a red "T" on their person for at least two years. I don't think I'm much better than the other side.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I need to address all the obtuse people appearing on TV and my Twitter telling us that we need to accept the results of the election. Turn on your listening ears and put on your reading eyes, because here's the scoop:

We accept the results of the election. We accept that Clinton lost. We accept that Orange won. That is why we're sickened, horrified, and heartbroken. Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Accepting the results doesn't mean knuckling under and praising your dear leader. Get it? We acknowledge the reality of what happened and that is why we mourn and fight.

Google search "remoaners" (that exact spelling) relating to Brexit and see how well the hard right accepts the other point of view once they've "won". 

It's not going to be any prettier this side of the Atlantic.

The fact that Trump is already spewing this toxic mix of backtracking, super-conservative appointments, oddball statements about how and where he's going to be spending his time, etc.?

At BEST it means we'll effectively have four years with no President. Just a bunch of conflicting impulses which go nowhere.

At WORST?  It means people like this Bannon turd will have so much influence that they're doing things as if they ARE the President. 

Honestly, I think we need to enjoy this time posting our fears, because sooner or later it's probably going to be illegal.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Well, you can't oppose Bannon and then speak ill (even if you're uninformed) and then get all butt-hurt about it.  "We said it long ago."So, it needs to stop now.  Especially now.  Only thing I got then was a hang up and hurt feelings, but I feel it's bigger than hurt feelings now.   Guess it shows that this will probably not be easy.   

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/opinion/turn-on-the-hate-steve-bannon-at-the-white-house.html

Other Republicans have praised him, like Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, whom Mr. Trump announced as his chief of staff on Sunday, and who saidMr. Bannon could not be such a bad guy because he served in the Navy and went to Harvard Business School. 

Ugh... what they fuck?

Nobody "bad" is allowed to be in the Navy or go to Harvard Business School?

Riiiiiight.

• Love 14

To paraphrase the late, great George Carlin.......when haters remove everyone they consider "inferior" from their communities/countries......the only people left for them to turn against..........are each other!

• Love 10

We need George Carlin. Even the ultra-cranky old guy he morphed into before he left us. "Live and let live. That's my motto, live and let live. Anybody disagrees, take him out back and shoot the motherfucker." And his plan to balance the budget by emptying out four states and fencing the dangerous people in? Genius. You-Know-Who could've been president over that shit.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

See, and I did forget those. I probably forgot a whole raft of other reasons that he's unfit to be president. Take just a couple of these, and people should be out protesting at the idea of him in office. All together? Well, those Californians talking about seceding from the Union might just have the right idea.

In fact, that looks like a great idea. Washington, Oregon, California, New England and the Eastern Seaboard down to Baltimore all secede and join Canada. Instantly, Canada becomes the most powerful country in the world and the USA becomes an irrelevant dustbowl of ignorance and intolerance.

But what about me here in Illinois and Minnesota???

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

We need George Carlin. Even the ultra-cranky old guy he morphed into before he left us. "Live and let live. That's my motto, live and let live. Anybody disagrees, take him out back and shoot the motherfucker." And his plan to balance the budget by emptying out four states and fencing the dangerous people in? Genius. You-Know-Who could've been president over that shit.

I miss him so much! He would have crushed it and made me laugh in all this hell. Wall off a few states and trap all the bad folks there and let the gate open a foot wide for 7 seconds every seven months. ... ehehehehe. Imay go watch some Carlin to relieve my anxiety now

Re: Bannon in the navy. 

Hitler was an army man and received the Iron Cross for bravery during WWI.

Paul Ryan's meeting/celebration with his caucus this morning was disgusting. He called it "the United Republican Party" and on every chair was a red MAGA hat. What a spineless weasel.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Padma said:

Paul Ryan's meeting/celebration with his caucus this morning was disgusting. He called it "the United Republican Party" and on every chair was a red MAGA hat. What a spineless weasel.

This just made me dry heave. And panic.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

Paul Ryan...PFFT!!  I feel like spitting every time I see that smarmy Eddie Munster face on my TV screen or elsewhere.  ...  For all his weight lifting, Ryan has always been a profile in cowardice and self-interest. 

He also said he doesn't "know" Bannon personally and therefore ... has no concerns. This is the same Bannon who has said he wants to "destroy all of today's establishments" including the GOP.

2 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

Now the office of the lone Republican, Andy Harris, was not quite as thrilled to hear from me. I started in on my spiel and the female staffer interrupted me and asked where I got the idea to call the office from. She asked me if I got it online off of some partisan website.

That's discouraging but expected. I don't like to use call or letter templates because it becomes "partisan" noise to politicians who aren't prepared to listen in the first place.

I'm still thinking about the red/blue voting map by counties and remain dispirited. What bothers me is not the total amount of each color, which we know is about equal due to population density, but I'm sad for blue people who live in all those saturated red zones and entire states. I'm one of them and it takes a toll.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Padma said:

Re: Bannon in the navy. 

Hitler was an army man and received the Iron Cross for bravery during WWI.

United Republican Party....SO 

URP it is!  

Seems apropos.

woRQGen.gif

• Love 7

It's up to three now, but they're all Democratic electors, one from Colorado and the other two are the ones from Washington state that I talked about upthread who are already on record as saying they won't be casting their votes for Hillary. Since the two Washington electors are subject to a $1000 fine for faithlessness, I think part of their motivation is to just to get so many electors to abdicate their duty that they can argue it's unfair to fine them in particular for voting their conscience more than it is to actually stop Trump, since if they cared about that, they wouldn't have sworn not to vote for Hillary even if it meant that it would cost her the election. As far as I know, no GOP electors have said they won't cast their votes for Trump.

1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

He knows, but he wants Trump in office so he can push his own policies like privatizing Medicare and Social Security. Ryan has literally never been this happy in his life.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, lordonia said:

I'm still thinking about the red/blue voting map by counties and remain dispirited. What bothers me is not the total amount of each color, which we know is about equal due to population density, but I'm sad for blue people who live in all those saturated red zones and entire states. I'm one of them and it takes a toll.

I feel for them, too.  Now my state (California) is the bluest state in the Union, but for a long time it was quite Republican--state government, county, city.  My congressman was a horrible Republican and was there for 20 years, until Obama won and it turned over to a Democrat (and a woman).  But it was a long time coming, and I remember those dark days well, especially as they coincided with two horrible Republican presidencies.

My only hopeful thought with Trump is that, maybe, possibly, he'll be so bad that Democrats can win the Congress at the mid-terms. Two  years isn't too bad, right?  Right?

• Love 5

I might not have hated Christie's people that much (as much as Bannon's or Pence's, let's say).  But it still made me laugh to hear that there's been a "Stalinesque purge" of Chris and everyone he had been planning to transition in (inc. Mike Rogers).  Not sure who he ticked off and why--I'm sure its about more than Bridgegate--but he's gone, gone, gone.

Giuliani is so bubbly and happy now, it makes me wonder if he's the guy behind the purge. "Knives were out".

• Love 1
13 hours ago, backformore said:

FYI - there is a rumor started online which cracked me up :  Does Mike Pence eat sticks of deodorant?

That was great for some anxiety relief!

6 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Winning the EC and losing the popular vote means the Democrats clustered together, in Callifornia, New York, few other states where the HRC votes far far far outweighed the DJT votes and the Republicans were more spread out, making states like Wisconsin and Michigan competitive (in addition to Florida, NC, PA, Ohio), where the votes were closer, but DJT eeked it out.

And that's why I think the Electoral College is never going away, so long as the Republicans are in power. And it may get worse if people with the means to do so move to more "blue" areas for their own safety.

This popular vote thing is *really* bothering DJT though: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/798519600413601792

Then again, he was so sure he was going to win Los Angeles at some point even without campaigning, if I remember correctly.

I can't believe all the petty ways he's been using his Twitter account since winning. I mean, I can, but I just can't believe half of this country was okay with putting that into the most powerful office in the land.

That was the plan I mentioned to one of my friends a couple of days after the election, although I took Nevada with us. If people hate the "coastal elites" so much, then maybe we should just leave. But the only way to keep these parts of the country together would be to join Canada.

But what about me here in Illinois and Minnesota???

Sorry... As someone who used to live in Chicago, and still has family and friends in Chicago and Minneapolis, I don't know how to bring you guys with us with Wisconsin in the way. Ugh, Paul Ryan. So freaking spineless.

As for Bannon...

So far we've got, "He can't be bad because he was in the Navy and went to Harvard Business School," and, "He can't be anti-Semitic because he worked for Goldman Sachs and Hollywood."

This is ridiculous. I'm off to call my representatives, although they're all Democrats.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, windsprints said:

I also heard that The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is hard to get a hold of now because it practically sold out everywhere over the last few days.  I had a paperback copy years ago, and it had gotten so dogeared that I ended up throwing it away.

I'm going to see if I can download it on my Kindle Fire to read on a warm winter's night.

• Love 5

I can't even watch ESPN without some dipshit on NFL Live solemnly reminding us that if there's one fact that can't be changed, it's that Orange will be president on January 20th. Thanks, sir, I have been edumacated. That's not why people are protesting, but keep tilting at those windmills. 

• Love 9

California has the 8th largest economy in the world- I would love to give it to Canada and along with the other named states get the fuck out of here. The red states think that everyone that lives here are a bunch of liberal hippies, so try surviving without our income you racist idiots. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 12

I was able to leave a message on Paul Ryan's voice-mail. I know he doesn't give two shits what I think but I used used my own words and said he's required by the Constitution to protect all of our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, not just the Christian extremists. I also said I appalled that a white supremacist was going to be in the White House and was terrified for my safety and my life.

I called 202-225-3031 option 6. There are other options if you want to express your opinion on Obamacare and the 2nd amendment.  

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

Hmmm, the FBI doing a background check on The Orange Stain and his motley crew?  Now why am I thinking that nothing will come of this?  Why am I thinking we won't see James Comey calling a press conference to talk about finding any irregularities or possible illegal shenanigans?  Why am I so cynical about this?  Why? Why Why?

• Love 22

I wish every governor in the country would be taking the increase in hate crimes seriously.  He has his detractors but I've always really liked him. He immediately spoke about NY not agreeing with Trump after the election. So, when we go I'm formally asking if we can take him, lol

• Love 15