Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

1 hour ago, lordonia said:

I set up a recurring donation to the ACLU today, for whatever tiny bit that may be worth for them to continue the good fight

Thank you for this suggestion.  I was going to send them and Planned Parenthood and...others...money, but never thought of a monthly donation (I do that with the local food bank).  

And I think it was waaaaaaay earlier in this thread that we were talking about champagne... well, I decided I'd get the really old, cheap bottle that had been sitting in the fridge door out of the way so I could put the bottle I was planning to open on Tuesday there (and make more room on the shelf).  So I opened the old bottle (13 years old - there was a sticker on the label about it being a gift for my sister's work anniversary in 2003!) and it was ...  fine!  So we'll be drinking old champagne tonight.  I'm shocked.  And hopeful that this is a good sign.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.  L'Chaim everyone!!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, glowlights said:

Over in the Donald Trump thread, stewedsquash made a very eloquent post about finding common ground. I don't know how to import so here is a permalink:

Anyway, I'm replying here because I'm trying to stay on topic, and this has more to do with me and my post-election coping than Trump's policies. So:

One of the things that has most shaken me, is that I now have to question my life-long belief in looking for the common ground and trying to look past differences to see what is basic and good about someone, regardless of surface appearances. But what this election taught me is that of the few people I know who voted Trump Pence, every single one took this election cycle as opportunity to make racist and homophobic slurs, and/or post anti-Semitic remarks on social media, and/or denigrate women, and/or make horrible "jokes" about refugees, etc. etc. etc.  Every. Single. One. And I'm sorry, but if they were emboldened by Trump's hate rhetoric to spew their own hate, there really is nothing more for me to know about them. All along I thought I was being inclusive, but all along I was really hosting and enabling the dregs of society. And I'm stopping. Right now.

Of course I still believe in civility. I am not going to stop being polite to strangers in public (and on message boards). But in terms of personal relationships, this Pollyanna kumbaya dream of mine is dead. And that makes me very, very sad. Because I really did want to believe in everyone's best. But it turns out I was just consorting with trash.

"If someone tells you who they are, believe them."

Well, I've heard some people loud and clear.

That's where I am with it, too.  I will be traveling to Cary, North Carolina to spend the holiday with my brother-in-law, his lovely Lebanese wife, and their child.  Unfortunately, her mother is a racist who had a problem with my brother-in-law courting her daughter.  She claimed it was her husband; but we learned it was actually her and in the most painful way possible.  All her husband cared about was that my brother-in-law was a good provider and loved his daughter.

Oh, and she voted for Drumpf.  Because of the holiday, she will be there.  I was civil to her at the wedding, but this shit here?  I am struggling with how to even greet her, much less dine at the same table.  Even my gorgeous little 8-year-old nephew questioned his "Teita" for voting for Drumpf.  "Teita, how could you do that?"  He asked.  I have no idea what her justifications are; frankly, I don't want to hear it.

She showed me who she was and I believed her the first time.  Just like I believed Drumpf the first time he showed me who he was.

• Love 16

Yeah, I'm not having faith in the Constitution protecting us. The "normal" GOP has already ignored the Constitution in not hearing President Obama's supreme court nomination. There were no consequences there. Some article I read made a good point - forget which one it was. It gave examples of how we have good general laws in the Constitution but we don't actually have more specific laws backing those up for protection. We've just always had good faith and assumed the good will of our leaders. The example she (I think she) gave was the First Amendment and freedom of the press. How technically we can't get rid of all of the press. Yet there's nothing to stop Trump from blocking access to the White House and certain other situations where press is normally allowed. 

And yes, @Danny Franks, I have seen things written that picked up on Trump's global conspiracy crap as being the usual anti-semitic verbiage. 

I'm feeling worse and worse. Which in some ways, I think is good. I want to continue to be horrified. We can't allow ourselves to normalize this like the media wants and has in history with others. 

And more fun - "Trump White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon refers to women as "Dykes" in radio interview." 

And https://twitter.com/yashar/status/797941364637855745/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, fastiller said:

@MulletorHater - good luck with you BIL's MIL.  (I think I got the relationships right there.)

Thanks for that.  In theory, I know people like this exist, but it's daunting to be face to face with one.

I love my sister-in-law and would never dream of disrespecting her in her own home.  I've already asked my husband to make sure that I'm not the one who starts discussing politics this year. My poor brother-in-law desperately wants us to relocate and at one time we considered it.  The state is beautiful and seemed to be quite progressive especially in the Research Triangle area.  However, as I explained to him that until they get rid of their crazy governor and the tea party influence in their government, as well as those crazy laws, I can't.  Nor, can I live in a state where the legislature actively works to suppress my right to vote and they're damn proud of it.  That's a deal breaker for me.  Now, I hear the KKK is planning a victory celebration there.  

I'll keep my happy tail right here in D.C.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Yeah, I'm not having faith in the Constitution protecting us. The "normal" GOP has already ignored the Constitution in not hearing President Obama's supreme court nomination.  

Yes, I hope Judge Garland got some satisfaction out of his nomination so long ago, and getting a spot in history for being a (the longest-waiting?) nominee for the Supreme Court.  I wonder if President Obama will withdraw it, or just let it fade on January 20. 

I am not a 1%er, but know many, and was talking to one of them, in his 80s, two days ago.  You know the first concern he mentioned?  That the estate tax would be abolished, and that this was a terrible step backward -- and he is someone who has a substantial estate to be taxed someday.  His level of concern for so many issues that he thinks are keeping the nation solvent made me even more concerned.  I don't mind paying more taxes -- but I hate the idea of making up for the taxes that will be going back to the heirs of the wealthiest 1%. 

• Love 5

If anyone wants another TV show to watch right now, ION also runs marathons of Leverage on Sundays. Sorry I forgot to post about it earlier, although there are still a few more eps tonight. The show is about a team of men and women who used to be criminals (hacker, thief, grifter, etc.) who now use their skills to help screw over evil people/companies/groups and help innocent people. We need a group like that right now. The writers actually used real life events that they researched as storylines, which is a little scary. But at least on the show they always get it in the end.

• Love 6

I travel to DC fairly regularly. I live in NYC, but still have friends and family there.  My 5 year old godson lives there and asked his mom if the bad man (thats what he calls Trump) winning means she cant go to work anymore. 

I had planned to go to the inauguration not necessarily to see Hillary be confirmed but just to be in town and soak up the atmosphere.  But now?  No way.  Its going to make me physically ill even to watch it on tv.

• Love 6

I don't even blame FBI Comey -- although I understand why anyone would. 

I blame Weiner.  Idiot, idiot, who brought this upon the country because he had to tweet his junk with his toddler son at his side.  There would have been no additional FBI scrutiny and no sudden "wait, what?" without the new Weiner investigation.  I cannot imagine how Huma Abedin must feel about all this. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

I was civil to her at the wedding, but this shit here?  I am struggling with how to even greet her, much less dine at the same table.

I'm holding everyone who voted for Trump complicit in the destruction of America and its ideals. Every time I start to think it will be bad, but maybe not so bad, there's some new story and my anxiety level ratchets up again. Sinclair Lewis wrote "It Can't Happen Here" in 1935 about the descent of America into fascism after the 1936 election. I truly believe that's what we're going to be seeing.

I was thinking of buying a condo, but now I don't know if I want to tie up funds like that for the coming economic disaster.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

I travel to DC fairly regularly. I live in NYC, but still have friends and family there.  My 5 year old godson lives there and asked his mom if the bad man (thats what he calls Trump) winning means she cant go to work anymore. 

I had planned to go to the inauguration not necessarily to see Hillary be confirmed but just to be in town and soak up the atmosphere.  But now?  No way.  Its going to make me physically ill even to watch it on tv.

There's the Million Women March. January 21, 2017.

I am seriously considering. I marched on DC in the late 60s and I can/will march again.

eta @VMepicgrl beat me to it. Great minds think alike!

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 11
17 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm holding everyone who voted for Trump complicit in the destruction of America and its ideals. Every time I start to think it will be bad, but maybe not so bad, there's some new story and my anxiety level ratchets up again. Sinclair Lewis wrote "It Can't Happen Here" in 1935 about the descent of America into fascism after the 1936 election. I truly believe that's what we're going to be seeing.

I was thinking of buying a condo, but now I don't know if I want to tie up funds like that for the coming economic disaster.

That's just how I feel. On Election Night, as the reality was becoming more and more apparent I was practically hyperventilating in disbelief and horror, and was in a half-dead funk for much of the next day. I feel like at some point my Five Stages of Grief will pass and I'll resign myself to just pushing it out of mind and letting it go, and every time I feel like I'm about to do that a new wave of realization terrifies me all over again.

And I too have home-buying aspirations, hoped to be Miss First Time Buyer next year, but I now I feel like the future is too certain. I don't believe Trump's economic "plans" will do anything but make the overall status worse over time, and in the short-term along with long-term, but really, neither I nor anyone else knows any of that for sure. We just don't know. But we don't know anything.  That's the problem. There is so much uncertainty, so many question marks surrounding what Trump may or may not do, what will or will not happen, it feels like I can't move a single inch. What was once a reasonably well-laid out and understandable future suddenly looks like a great big black hole and we're all just holding out breaths hoping we don't get swallowed up in it but knowing that we don't know we won't.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, jjj said:

I don't even blame FBI Comey -- although I understand why anyone would. 

I blame Weiner.  Idiot, idiot, who brought this upon the country because he had to tweet his junk with his toddler son at his side.  There would have been no additional FBI scrutiny and no sudden "wait, what?" without the new Weiner investigation.  I cannot imagine how Huma Abedin must feel about all this. 

I don't blame Weiner, nor Comey, I blame the media and they've lost my viewership considerable because I blame them. I'm not even tempted to watch because what's the point? I still give Maddow , Hayes and Reid some minutes because I don't want the ones who truly made an effort to do their jobs to best of their ability to suffer, but the rest, forget it. But it's not just the media it's sexism from both male and female voters. Sorry, but I don't care who the woman was, she wasn't going to be elected, I firmly believe that. This is the greatest power to have in the world to be president of this country and the free world, and this country is not ready to grant that power to a woman no matter how qualified and transparent and for the people she may be. Angela Merkel power is  not the same as the woman who would hold the power of the American presidency. Since the question is always posed as to why so many other countries who are behind us is so many ways have elected female leaders before us, well to me that is the reason, it's not the same kind of power and the world knows it.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

You may or may not recall the huge backlash the Dixie Chicks suffered after saying in 2003 they were "ashamed" that GWB is from Texas. There were boycotts, CD burnings, and death threats. This was the first single from their next studio album after that (2006). I've been listening to it/having it go through my head a lot. And of course they recently ruffled feathers by appearing with Beyonce at the CMA Awards. Anyway, this song makes me feel a little bit stronger.

I love the Dixie Chicks and I love that video. I think the biggest issue with what they said was where they said it. You can talk shit about your country on domestic land but once you set foot on foreign soil you must present a united front.

Well until now. Now? The gloves are off. I hope, I really, really hope the rest of our allies realize that the majority are as equally horrified as they are and take pity on us.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Keepitmoving said:

I don't blame Weiner, nor Comey, I blame the media and they've lost my viewership considerable because I blame them. I'm not even tempted to watch because what's the point? I still give Maddow , Hayes and Reid some minutes because I don't want the ones who truly made an effort to do their jobs to best of their ability to suffer, but the rest, forget it. But it's not just the media it's sexism from both male and female voters. Sorry, but I don't care who the woman was, she wasn't going to be elected, I firmly believe that. This is the greatest power to have in the world to be president of this country and the free world, and this country is not read to grant that power to a woman no matter how qualified and transparent and for the people she may be. Angela Merkel power is the not he same as the woman who would hold the power of the American presidency. Since the question is always posed as to why so many other countries who are behind us is so many ways have elected female leaders before us, well to me that is the reason, it's not the same kind of power and the world knows it.

Completely agree, and I don't fully blame Comey. The media is very much to blame. Including how they handled the Comey letter. But between Comey and Weiner, Comey is the one who created the problem. And it was a combination of Comey and the media that I blame for flipping the group of voters who voted for Obama that voted for Trump this time (which The Atlantic reported happened). They created the reason for these people to find Hillary the greater evil between her and Trump. 

• Love 2

Donald Trump is Buzz Windrip. Unfortunately, his veep is Elmer Gantry.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

We just don't know. But we don't know anything.  That's the problem. There is so much uncertainty, so many question marks surrounding what Trump may or may not do, what will or will not happen, it feels like I can't move a single inch. What was once a reasonably well-laid out and understandable future suddenly looks like a great big black hole and we're all just holding out breaths hoping we don't get swallowed up in it but knowing that we don't know we won't.

Thank you for putting this feeling into words. This is exactly what I've been feeling since Tuesday night. It's hard to plan for something or figure out what you're going to do next if you have no idea what the world is going to look like tomorrow.

I keep trying to find ways to keep stress lower, since it's not healthy in the long run, but I also want to stay vigilant and aware about what's going on. I don't know how to do both at the same time, since every time I think I'm doing better, something else comes up that sends my anxiety and stress through the roof. (Hello, woman-hating, anti-Semitic, white nationalist right-hand man!) Cute animals help, until I keep scrolling on Twitter and find the next alarming bit of news. I've cut so many TV shows this weekend that are just not cutting it for escapism. I guess this is just the new normal.

21 minutes ago, dcalley said:

This 60 Minutes interview is not making me feel good.

I can't bear to watch it. Do you mind sharing any highlights (or I guess, lowlights)?

Edited by crayon78
60 Minutes
  • Love 3

Not watching the interview. I'll read the summaries on ABC and CNN later. I'm going to try to go about my life ignoring Washington as much as possible. I'm in fly over country in Illinois where ' our governors make the license plates', and our Republican- never held a elected office - Governor won't negotiate a budget until his non Budget demands are agreed to. I'm hopeful Trump doesn't get anything done either because he won't follow the rules and regulations. I'm betting impeachment by 2018. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, dcalley said:

This 60 Minutes interview is not making me feel good.

I will just take your word on that, because I have no intention of watching.  (My rudeness is not directed toward *you*, dcalley!) 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

We just don't know. But we don't know anything.  That's the problem.

Yep - that's a play right out of Putin's book. Keep them confused, keep them in the dark, give them well-crafted BS propaganda appearances and, next thing you know, no civil rights left, no country left, nothing. 

Even the ghouls in the cabinet know that our future depends on a madman and trying to manipulate him. He thinks he's powerful, but everyone is simply trying to make a deal with a sociopath who thinks he's the smartest, best dealmaker ever. I mean, it's like trying to reason with Pennywise the Clown. 

This is what so many people see as winning? 

• Love 4

@crayon78.....I've been flipping back and forth between the 60 minutes interview and football.  

Nothing new from what I've seen.  Im sure you guys all saw the clip of him saying Hillary and Bill were nice when they called to congratulate him.  He said he doesnt want to "hurt" them when pressed about whether he'd make good on his promise to have her locked up for the email scandal.  Ummm he patted himself on the back for winning the presidency and maintaining both parts of Congress...when according to him people were "abusing" him 4-5 weeks ago saying he'd lose all 3 parts.

Melania spoke about how we need to be nicer to each other and communicate with each other....blah blah blah.  Normally I find a foreign accent very sexy and appealing...but hearing Melania talk is like nails on a chalkboard for me. 

Back to Trump.....he said he'll release his tax returns at the appropriate time...but he's still under audit.  Said it seems nobody really cared about the tax returns anyway.

He actually still agrees that the system is rigged....some parts of it.  Said just because he won doesnt mean he's gonna change his mind about it.  But likes that the EC brings all the states into play.  NOW he says he respects the system.  Ugg..

He wont take any vacations.  Says he wont accept the salary.  He says he thinks by law he must accept something...so he'll probably just take $1.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 2

Here's how I feel about the primaries.  More people voted for Hillary in the primaries.  More people voted for Donald in the primaries.  People, in a vague general sense, bitch about the choices.  The other primary candidates just didn't get the votes.  If it's anybody's fault, it's the people who voted for candidates they didn't like, and the opposition candidates who didn't do their research.

It didn't have to be a Clinton/Trump showdown.

Maybe next time, voters will take primaries more seriously.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

He wont take any vacations.  Says he wont accept the salary.  He says he thinks by law he must accept something...so he'll probably just take $1.

Really?  I'm hearing short work weeks in DC, then long weekends in NYC or Florida.  Maybe he defines "no vacation" the same way the current Congress does:  "We're not on vacation, we are on a break, I mean, recess."  A months-long recess, with a few days in session.  They were gone for most of the summer, while collecting pay all year.  We are paying them to run for office in election season.  I'm sure Trump will decide it is not worth being there if Congress is not there. 

Oh, and when he runs out of children and campaign toadys to appoint to positions, he can start filling them with ex-wives:  http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/305804-ivana-to-trump-make-me-czech-republic-diplomat

Edited by jjj
  • Love 4

I'm an immigrant from Western Europe who now lives in that dark blue dot in Iowa. I'm old enough to remember the cold war and how scary it was to live that close to the East, I have close family who lived through the War. Despite that blue dot being that blue I work with a shocking amount of Orange voters. I'm whiter than they are so I'm sure I'm one of the 'good' immigrants in their eyes. None of them understand why I'm upset with them. They don't understand why I may be upset that they voted for someone endorsed by Nazi's, the KKK, and Russia.

I'm so happy I'll be at WDW on inauguration day so I hopefully can avoid most of it.

• Love 6
Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm an immigrant from Western Europe who now lives in that dark blue dot in Iowa. I'm old enough to remember the cold war and how scary it was to live that close to the East, I have close family who lived through the War. Despite that blue dot being that blue I work with a shocking amount of Orange voters. I'm whiter than they are so I'm sure I'm one of the 'good' immigrants in their eyes. None of them understand why I'm upset with them. They don't understand why I may be upset that they voted for someone endorsed by Nazi's, the KKK, and Russia.

I'm so happy I'll be at WDW on inauguration day so I hopefully can avoid most of it.

About inauguration day, I was imagining Kellyanne Conway's head popping up now and then during his speech just to correct any misstatement of his by interjecting "what he really mean is"

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, crayon78 said:

I can't bear to watch it. Do you mind sharing any highlights (or I guess, lowlights)?

I tried to respond while fitting into the topic of this thread and don't think I can. Watching it was hard, but I want to know my enemy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VMepicgrl said:

They created the reason for these people to find Hillary the greater evil between her and Trump. 

I still can't understand a world in which one candidate can freely talk about sexually assaulting women, plans on rounding up minorities, & thinks global warming doesn't exist, is considered a lesser evil than one who they believe lied about emails.

1 hour ago, VMepicgrl said:

“And I’m confident Donald Trump feels the same way.” Then why the hell isn't he saying so? If he's against it, he needs to make a public statement, not send his errand boy out to tell people that.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, GaT said:

I still can't understand a world in which one candidate can freely talk about sexually assaulting women, plans on rounding up minorities, & thinks global warming doesn't exist, is considered a lesser evil than one who they believe lied about emails.

“And I’m confident Donald Trump feels the same way.” Then why the hell isn't he saying so? If he's against it, he needs to make a public statement, not send his errand boy out to tell people that.

Regarding the first - cause they zipped right by each terrible thing Trump said or did but spent forever and ever on Hillary's emails. And/or the things he said or did were things people agreed with or saw as normal male behavior (despite the horror most of us felt) while "emails" were seen as something fitting a corrupt, elite politician above everyone else. 

Regarding the second - he isn't saying it because he doesn't feel that way. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, NewDigs said:

There's the Million Women March. January 21, 2017.

I am seriously considering. I marched on DC in the late 60s and I can/will march again.

eta @VMepicgrl beat me to it. Great minds think alike!

I am seriously considering attending this as well. Hoping to get with a group to bus there from WI. There are people trying to organize it on Facebook. Here is the national page, and then there is a page for each state for more specific organizing. 

• Love 7

I was watching a documentary on TCM the other night - the first episode in Capra's Why We Fight series from WWII.  They were showing footage of Mussolini in Italy, strutting around, sticking out his chin, and I thought OMG this is Trump!  A strutting jackass, a petty dictator.

Is Trump going to try to eliminate the EPA?  The Education Department?  Energy?  The Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department? 

I am really concerned about the economy.  I'm less than 10 years from retirement.  My retirement savings have taken huge hits following September 11 and the meltdown of 2008.  I cannot afford another such hit.  I don't want to work into my 70s.  In my adult life, whenever the Republicans have been in office, the economy has tanked, the federal deficit skyrockets, and the middle class takes it in the shorts. 

• Love 10

It may be because you don't feel the depths of hatred that men have for women, but even more, you could never grasp how much women hate one another, the latter is the key. Bill Maher said it on his show and that was about only thing that came out of his bullshit mouth that I said an Amen to. I mean look, it's on tape. There's enough tape of women being very frank about where they believe their fellow women should NOT be and they shouldn't be in the oval office.  They said this outside of all their loathing for Hillary. Then there are the  women who you would never catch on tape but we have the polling post election about the women who wouldn't be caught dead at at Trump rally but damn if they didn't still pull the lever for him on D-Day.

I was hoping I was wrong, hope is always good, it gets you up in the morning, but I'm not surprised at the outcome.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Despite feeling angry, sad, hopeless over this election, I held the smallest hope that at least I lived in a blue state, a diverse and inclusive county that maybe, just maybe, there weren't any neoNazi racists living near me.  Boy was I wrong. Today, near a diverse community and church- signs of "TRUMP NATION WHITES ONLY" are scrawled on posters, sidewalks and brick walls.??

I'm heartbroken and the fear has ratcheted up. I'm also pissed ? because people who voted for the ? ? are saying we don't know it was his supporters who did this. It was probably "sore Hillary losers" (direct quote) who did this to frame his supporters to "prove" that they're racists. The people saying this aren't racist because they voted for him because he, along with them, are "fiscally conservative" and he's a businessman who will "fix this country."

My hope is dead. Murdered. 

I joined to do whatever I can starting at the local level, by signing up. But can't donate any money as I'm out of work, but can and will donate my time.  They haven't updated their websites because the message is to get out to help Hillary win. 

So, though my hope and faith is gone, the rose colored glasses I wore smashed to smithereens, I'm going to fight. I wish the DC ACLU had job openings so I could work there or any similar groups and non-profits, but no luck yet.

I come from a peoples whose grandfather was a freedom fighter to gain India's Independence from England. A family of warriors.  I dealt with racism and prejudice against me and my family as a child. Was accused of being a nazi because that asshole Hitler usurped the Swastika-a symbol of hope and peace and FUCKING bastardized it for his own ideology. I never thought I'd have to go through it again as an adult. Yeah, I was naive.  But no more.

This megalomaniac is NOT my President.  He will never be my President.

Silver Spring, Maryland, right?

I live in the Cleveland Park section of D.C. and I reminded my husband the other night of the synagogue sitting on the corner near us and how heavy the police presence is on the High Holy Days.  I am also reminded that synagogues have been defaced in Rockville and Potomac.

As a person who has attended an A.M.E. church all my life, it's devastating on so many levels that we now have to have armed security guards at church in the sanctuary because of what happened at Emmanuel A.M.E. in Charleston.

It is also devastating that there is now a person who is going to be in authority over this country who is such a sociopath and empty vessel that he willingly adopts this white supremacist viewpoint and claims that these heinous acts are the media's fault.  He continually shows that he will never stand up for people like me.  So, fuck him.  #NotMyPresident

• Love 24

Putting horses back in barns and all that aside...

I think Twitter played a huge role in Trump's popularity. He is a man who cannot articulate deep or complex thoughts.  Twitter was made for him.

This is some interesting research I came across a while back.... about how technology is helping to facilitate hate crime -

"Broadband availability increased the incidence of racial hate crimes committed by lone-wolf perpetrators in the United States during the period 2001-2008, new research concludes. The addition of a single broadband provider led to as much as a 20 percent rise in racial hate crimes in areas where racial tensions were especially high."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/09/150928152445.htm

• Love 5

Welp. I found out my former boss, whom I adore and respect, voted for Trump. He's a multi-millionaire business owner but also a smart, kind-hearted, observant Jew. I didn't ask why and we didn't discuss it further. For me, it's progress that it doesn't affect my feelings about him. I am able to understand and forgive under some circumstances! Putting that in Orange-speak, I can now say I'm the least judgemental person you'll ever meet.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

Silver Spring, Maryland, right?

I live in the Cleveland Park section of D.C. and I reminded my husband the other night of the synagogue sitting on the corner near us and how heavy the police presence is on the High Holy Days.  I am also reminded that synagogues have been defaced in Rockville and Potomac.

As a person who has attended an A.M.E. church all my life, it's devastating on so many levels that we now have to have armed security guards at church in the sanctuary because of what happened at Emmanuel A.M.E. in Charleston.

It is also devastating that there is now a person who is going to be in authority over this country who is such a sociopath and empty vessel that he willingly adopts this white supremacist viewpoint and claims that these heinous acts are the media's fault.  He continually shows that he will never stand up for people like me.  So, fuck him.  #NotMyPresident

Yup.  And I live in Rockville.  It's like these racists were holed up in a bunker or something, just waiting for the call/signal to go full hog. It's not even isolated incidents-it's like the tommy gun effect or something.

My mind can't wrap itself around what's going on. 

• Love 7

I really think that the reaction to a Clinton win would have been much more vigorous and violent than the current protests around the country.  I have not seen much written about this, but there were many hints about this over the past few months.

One example:  on National Public Radio in early Autumn, the Morning Edition chose several citizens in a region prior to each debate to ask them their point of view, and then returned to those same people after the debate.  In Georgia, the pro-Trump interviewees (husband and wife) gave a normal pro-Trump set of reasons of why he and his wife were supporting Trump.  At the very end, when the NPR interviewer was thanking them, they said something about at least they would have their guns if Hillary won -- and NPR said, "what about your guns?"  The wife said, "for the war".  NPR?  "The *war*?"  Wife:  "Yes, the patriot war."  It was astonishing.  And when NPR returned to all the Georgia interviewees a day later for their reactions to the debate, they said this couple "was not available".  It was picked up a bit in the print media, but not much.  I was quite stunned by the exchange.   

• Love 17

Well, I finally looked at the election results for my county in OH.  HRC = 56.9%, Orange = 34%.  I am heartened by that.  Almost all county and local positions were won by Dems.  Still have my fantastic congresswoman.  

During church this morning, one of the intentions was for healing and coming together.  Yeah, I didn't respond with the "Lord hear our prayer".  Nope.  Sorry, it also says an eye for an eye in the Bible, and the Orange and his motley crew need to be scrutinized and criticized from the get go.  They spent 8 years of insisting the current President wasn't an American, was Muslim, wasn't as American as they were, didn't love America.  Then all of the insults at HRC, insults at women, at Mexicans, at Muslims, all minorities........nope, I'm not behind him and his cronies one iota.

• Love 22
5 minutes ago, jjj said:

I really think that the reaction to a Clinton win would have been much more vigorous and violent than the current protests around the country.  I have not seen much written about this, but there were many hints about this over the past few months.

One example:  on National Public Radio in early Autumn, the Morning Edition chose several citizens in a region prior to each debate to ask them their point of view, and then returned to those same people after the debate.  In Georgia, the pro-Trump interviewees (husband and wife) gave a normal pro-Trump set of reasons of why he and his wife were supporting Trump.  At the very end, when the NPR interviewer was thanking them, they said something about at least they would have their guns if Hillary won -- and NPR said, "what about your guns?"  The wife said, "for the war".  NPR?  "The *war*?"  Wife:  "Yes, the patriot war."  It was astonishing.  And when NPR returned to all the Georgia interviewees a day later for their reactions to the debate, they said this couple "was not available".  It was picked up a bit in the print media, but not much.  I was quite stunned by the exchange.   

I do wonder but ultimately don't agree. I think having Trump at their backs has made them bolder. They feel like he's on their side and they won't be penalized. I think it would've just been more of the same. (For all that Trump and people like him talk about BLM and Muslim-Americans being dangerous for cops, the reality is that white men who are nationalist have fairly shot to the top of the list of People Who Kill Cops. This has been going on much longer than the past week it's just that the media won't name the problem.) Now it's going to be worse.

You know how after you've cried your heart out you just feel emotionally numb? Like you have no feelings left, just this really intense void? I'm there. But without having cried my heart out 'cause I'll be damned if I'm gonna cry because of that orange shit stain on the soul of humanity.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

I live in dc and I certainly won't be here. At the very least I'll be at the Korean spa, and at the most I'll be in Canada

• Love 6