Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

I can't help but laugh at that Trump cake. It looks every bit as haggard and tired as the man himself... but noticeably thinner and less orange. I imagine that's a compromise between the integrity of the cake maker and Trump's ego. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Melania quickly takes out the makeup kit for some cosmetic adjustments before her darling husband sees it.

Okay, I'm not sure where to post this, but I just turned on MSNBC, and this crawl I've seen, well two of them...seem to contradict each other. Either that, or this election has fried some important critical thinking brain cells.

1. I'm seeing "34% of people under 30 are voting for Trump."

2. "51% of college grads voting for Clinton."

Now, aren't most college grads under 30?

Me: need to wait to make the hot toddy because now I'm feeling nauseous.

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, I'm not sure where to post this, but I just turned on MSNBC, and this crawl I've seen, well two of them...seem to contradict each other. Either that, or this election has fried some important critical thinking brain cells.

1. I'm seeing "34% of people under 30 are voting for Trump."

2. "51% of college grads voting for Clinton."

Now, aren't most college grads under 30?

Me: need to wait to make the hot toddy because now I'm feeling nauseous.

"Recent" college grads will be under 30.  All college grads could be any age. 

1 hour ago, fastiller said:

Thank you @random chance - you've given me the name of the first track on the new album (Weaponized Email) from my imaginary band (Alcoholic Overeaters).  Now to come up with some lyrics.

Who needs Plum Island when you have Samsung note 7.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

At 4 PM I made myself another coffee.  I normally stop around 10:30 - 11 AM at the latest.

Coffee? I was almost sorry I had some this morning. I are revved up on anxiety.

Ran errands that didn't need running. Got a 12-pack, a Publix sub, chips, Twizzlers, a box of Kleenex and I am settled in. Hoping for a landslide. I can't take much more of this. Oh, and a bottle of Prosecco. And 2 splits. And I think I have some Barbancourt rum. For my coffee! Or a hot toddy. 

This is, finally, IT!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

"Recent" college grads will be under 30.  All college grads could be any age. 

Right!

Okay, wait. NOW it's saying "54% of voters under 30 are going for Clinton" so that makes a plus or minus of 16% that we don't know? I hate Math.

• Love 1
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, wait. NOW it's saying "54% of voters under 30 are going for Clinton" so that makes a plus or minus of 16% that we don't know? I hate Math.

Nate Cohn was on Twitter saying that people should keep in mind that early exit polling is usually bad.

And late exit polling is usually also bad.

• Love 2

I've turned off MSNBC because Steve Kornacki is freaking me out.

On the bright side, the Weather Channel is running a special all evening until 11pm.  It's called "Escape the Election" and it's scenes of wildlife, clouds, rainbows, and fall beauty set to light classic and soft jazz.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, film noire said:

But it doesn't open until 8 east coast time!  I won't make it to then! And if I do, I'll have used up all my likes and be left staring at the computer screen crying  "YOU GLORIOUS PTV LEFTY BASTARDS I LOVE YOU ALL AND NOBODY KNOWS IT!

Wait...you can use up your likes? Aw, crap!

Well, in the event that that happens, I'll just say now I pretty much like every post in here! 

• Love 7

When I posted above all the photos of the Laurel Parade at Mt Holyoke, I didn't realize that today was their Founders Day (1837)!  The second women's college Founders Day may be part of Herstory!  They are all tweeting and happy that one of their "sisters" (The Seven Sisters schools include Wellesley and MoHo) will probably be the first female president!

• Love 1
Just now, Quilt Fairy said:

I've turned off MSNBC because Steve Kornacki is freaking me out.

Nate Cohn was on Twitter telling people that these kinds of exit polls usually aren't that good.

3 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

Wait...you can use up your likes? Aw, crap!

Well, in the event that that happens, I'll just say now I pretty much like every post in here! 

No. There is unlimited likes. But you can only like one poster's comment...ONCE.

• Love 1

Watching CNN. They seem to be concerned about the early exit poll.  I am dying here.  My stomach is in knots.  I know it is way early (I am in California).  I may start drinking earlier than I had planned.  I should stop watching but I can't look away.

• Love 2

I'm over here doing laundry, making short ribs, watching 10 Things I Hate About You on Netflix and generally trying to distract myself but we're getting closer to east coast polls closing and I'm starting to fidget...a lot.  It's a sunny cloudless day in Seattle (in NOVEMBER) after two straight weeks of clouds and rain.  I am taking this as a good omen.

• Love 1

Not sure if this is the right thread but DirectTv has "enhanced" election coverage.

If you push the red button underneath and to the left of the "Select" button you have the option of up to 6 channels within one screen.

Of course it's aggravating figuring it out but could be a new toy or a useful tool.

giphy.gif

• Love 5

If you haven't watched it yet - go find the Samantha Bee episode from last night.  It's soothing.

Samantha Bee has been killing it this entire election, and I've re-watched the "Let Hillary Be Hillary" segment from last night's episode twice already today.  The first line is appropriate to this thread; she asks how everyone is doing and says, "Don't lie to me, I know you're a wreck -- you can't sleep, you're shitting blood, and you're telegraphing your anxiety to your pets."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

So I voted early today, them treated myself to a nice lunch feeling pretty good. Then as I'm driving home I see some fool on the side of the road with a Trump sign and he's sitting in the bed of his truck waving at people. and I wanted something bad to be driving on that side of the road so I could have yelled out my window "I'm with her!"

Then I was dealt another blow when I found out that Southside with You isn't going to be released on DVD or Netflix until December . I really wanted to watch that tonight or calm myself down. 

Still looking forward to the live chat with all you lovely people and drinking, lots of drinking.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I can't wait until the news machines start calling states when 1% of the precincts from like three counties are reporting.  Oh Election Day we live for thee.

It's already started. And even though I know the numbers mean nothing, it still scares me. These are states that Trump is already expected to win. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, topanga said:

It's already started. And even though I know the numbers mean nothing, it still scares me. These are states that Trump is already expected to win. 

For whatever it's worth, Twitter is making it sound like things look good for Hillary in Florida.  

Keep going.

7 hours ago, honeydo7 said:

I'm more nervous than ever after reading Trump supporters have said today, they can't wait to celebrate Trump's win so they can "start building ovens," for all those Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, Asians, Muslims, Catholics.......

A Bernie supporter, no doubt.

7 hours ago, honeydo7 said:

I'm more nervous than ever after reading Trump supporters have said today, they can't wait to celebrate Trump's win so they can "start building ovens," for all those Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, Asians, Muslims, Catholics....

Holy shit-- are you kidding? I have been keeping to myself and what I consider "safe zones" today-- where did you see that?

For a sore throat, I like to gargle with warm salt water. After that, tea with a little honey in it (or coconut oil if you're off carbs like me).

6 hours ago, fastiller said:

@Shannon L. - copy the link to the Tweet and paste it into the response window; it'll show up just like @starri's funny link did above.

Was this the picture you mentioned?

That's it!  Thanks!

6 hours ago, millennium said:

There is a live feed on Facebook.  This article can get you there

Thanks!

Ok.  I have been reading this thread, but haven't posted.  But today I have reached my limit (which I guess is pretty good, all things considered) and made my one and only political post on FB.  It was in response to a relatively mild post from one of my acquaintances from college.  The poor thing was simply lamenting that she wasn't excited to vote and she was sad that she had to vote for the lesser of two evils.  I mean, compared to some of the stuff that I have read, that was downright bi-partisan.  But for whatever, reason, it was what sent me over the edge.  I responded that for many, many people in this country, voting for Hillary wasn't the lesser of two evils, it was voting for the right to not feel fear in their own country and that if she could maybe pull her head out of her ass and talk to people that don't have her white, straight, Christian, upper middle class experience, that she would realize that plenty of Americans have a lot more at stake in this election than we do. (We, because I am also a white, straight, Chrisitan-ish, upper middle class white woman, so I KNOW these people).   I am SO tired of the majority of people I know pretending that Trump and Hillary are equally abhorrent.  I'm so tired of it.  I have a very large family and it is very racially mixed, and I admit that I have benefitted from talking to people who are not necessarily like me, and maybe many of my acquaintances haven't had that experience, but for god sake, its not like we live in Amish country and they have no awareness of the society around them.  Ugh.

So after that, I met another politically compatible friend for a bit of a drinking lunch at the local chain restaurant up the street.  An off-duty employee of said restaurant proceeds to show up in a MAGA hat and a "Hillary for Prison" tee shirt.  I swear to god, three other women, also apparently there for a drinking lunch, TOOK A SELFIE WITH HIM!!  Our poor non-white waitress was seriously almost near tears and I am appalled that she has to work under those conditions, which of course, I relayed to the manager.  Even though the guy (who was probably all of stupid 18), was off duty, the manager (who was probably all of stupid 23) asked him to leave.  This election can't be over soon enough, but I really, really am sad and fearful of what Donald Trump's candidacy (and all that goes with it) has unleashed in this country.  I truly am. 

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

To lessen my dread, I'm watching Continental Divide. Smart, feel-good rom com. John Belushi makes everything better.

Oh, I love that movie. One of my favorite bits is when they get to the city and he tells her how to deal with all the people, warning her not to make eye contact or someone will kill her.

I've switched to Guy's Grocery Games on my DVR. I'll tune in at 8 PM.

• Love 2

Two ladies in cube farm are complete morons. But not for the reasons you think (no clue who they're voting for):

Person A: Are you going to vote tonight?
Person B: Only if there are no  lines. I heard about people waiting 2 hours
Person A: Are you going to Norwalk?
Person B: They're doing it [voting] at my church
Person C: You have to go to where it says on your sample ballot, you can't just go vote anywhere.
Person A: ooo, really?
Person B: Oh, well I have to go get my oil changed.

It's taken every ounce of self control to not read them the riot act for being so misinformed and uninvested.

• Love 6

What I shared on FB tonight:

Before the world goes crazy tonight, I just want to say... the Ship of State has sailed rough waters before and survived. To the "losers" - stay calm, ships turn slowly.  To the "winners" - you can't steer it alone.  And to everyone - we are all on this boat together.  We all have to do our part to stay on course.

There's been so much talk about how divided the nation is today.  Politicians, the media, our government leaders... none of them can fix it.  Only WE can unite our country again.  We need to get to know people who are different from us.  Open our hearts and minds to other perspectives.  Focus on what we have in common instead of what sets us apart.  Educate ourselves on the issues from multiple media sources.

And above all, we need to GET INVOLVED.  In our communities, our schools, our local charities.  And yes, in politics.  As much as I have lamented the horrible choice between the two nominees from the major parties, I must take my share of the blame. By doing nothing and allowing others to make those choices, I have been complicit in this farce.  No more.  No more "lesser of two evils".  No more "holding my nose".  No more.

We deserve better.  America deserves better.  Let's do better.

• Love 7

OK, I'm back. Voted this morning. I managed to cobble together an outfit of purple and white with gold jewelry and green nail polish. The last thing just happened to be what was on my nails. It was really simple. My parents have a house in a fairly affluent suburban community and I'm very conscious of the privilege of my experience when you compare it to the people waiting in huge lines for hours. There were paper ballots. It felt like school. But yeah, really quick and easy. There weren't really a lot of people running for office/much choice between candidates in my area this election so mostly it was a matter of filling in bubbles since I wasn't going to risk invalidating the votes that mattered with some random write-ins. 

The rest of the day has been pretty painless. We're thinking of selling the house so I was mostly just cleaning and staying out of the way of the realtors taking photos. I did get into a tiny debate with my parents but as usual I let it drop when I realized their pro-Trump argument was mainly imagined Clinton scandals and negative "feelings" about Hillary. 

A local Mexican restaurant is having a "Bad Hombre" election special today, wear your "I Voted" sticker and get a free margarita and sombrero. So that's where I'll be should anyone need me.

Oh, that reminds me. I didn't get a sticker this morning. They didn't seem to be giving them to anyone. Do all official voting places have them? Anyway, I'll let it go if we get through this election unscathed. I can always get one next time. :)

I have one rule with the crazy lady who emails me. I mean, her knowing I don't care about all her conspiracies would be nice but my ONE RULE is no breitbart. Throughout this election she has repeatedly ignored me and continued the breitbart emails. I have tried various strategies of getting through to her. The Live Election Night chat was starting to stress me out so I went into my email and saw 40+ emails from her. There were around 5 breitbart emails in the bunch. I cursed her out. I'm not proud of it but it pushed down my anxiety for the moment.

• Love 1