Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

We are definitely a "Rainbow" family......relatives of all faiths, colors, religions, ethnic backgrounds & lifestyles, if Trump becomes  president......I'm afraid his hateful supporters will try harming our children, since they consider mixed-race people (of all ages) sub-human & believe they deserve to be exterminated. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

What are you afraid of if Trump wins?  There are many fears about this situation, I am curious to hear specific reasons from everyone.  

• Elimination or privatization(which is the same thing) of social security.  I'm still too young but my mom gets it and I want to get it some day
  • Elimination of medicare
  • Elimination of Obamacare (my employer health insurance is way too expensive and crappy but I know that's the insurance company's and my hr department's faults, not Obamacare's)
  • Supreme Court nominees
  • tax cuts for the rich, tax increases for everyone else
  • Love 21
39 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

Bless Obama he's giving the stem-winder of his life.

::sniffle::

I watched on C Span. He is and always has been a great speaker. Then they cut to Trump in Florida saying the same tired crap. One extreme to another!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

What are you afraid of if Trump wins?  There are many fears about this situation, I am curious to hear specific reasons from everyone.  

7 minutes ago, partofme said:
  • Supreme Court nominees

BINGO!!!!

I'm also worried about how a Trump win will legitimize all the awful things he's said.  Which is why I want HRC to win in a landslide.  To show that we're really not a hateful, hatefilled country.

On the flip side (& I'm going to put this poorly): I know that we didn't all of a sudden become a racist country when President Obama was elected, I know that racism existed before that.  It just seems that white men (& some women) suddenly realized they were no longer the top of the pecking order and that anger made the racism seem so much more pointed and angry (as opposed to it being just based upon stupidity & ignorance).  So, my fear, should HRC be elected: I see a similar thing happening with sexism and how it'll manifest.  White (& other) men will see their grip on power lessening.

Edit: @rcc - here's another 'from one extreme to another' - VP Biden drafted VAWA (Violence Against Women Act); now we've got a serial groper and his sidekick the guy who wants to bring us back to pre-Roe days.

Edited by fastiller
To answer RCC.
  • Love 18

What are you afraid of if Trump wins?  There are many fears about this situation, I am curious to hear specific reasons from everyone

Trump doesn't have policies, he has agendas.  I fear not just him, but the gang of thugs he will have around him to make all the decisions he doesn't want to deal with.

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, partofme said:
  • Elimination or privatization(which is the same thing) of social security.  I'm still too young but my mom gets it and I want to get it some day
  • Elimination of medicare
  • Elimination of Obamacare (my employer health insurance is way too expensive and crappy but I know that's the insurance company's and my hr department's faults, not Obamacare's)
  • Supreme Court nominees
  • tax cuts for the rich, tax increases for everyone else

war. torture. killing families of suspected terrorists (why stop abroad?)  Abuse of power of the FBI and CIA and IRS.

SC going hard right for generations and using it to relax gun laws, repeal Roe v. Wade and reduce Frist Amendment rights esp. free press and free speech.  He says he'll promote Christianity and "make dept stores say "Merry Christmas" so apparently freedom of religion could also be threatened.  He clearly doesn't understand the Bill of Rights. And has no concept of "innocent until proven guilty" -- note, promising that Hillary will be "locked up".

• Love 12

giphy.gif

Our cat's favorite toy is a fish-on-a-string-on-a-stick.  The first time he caught it he stuffed it into his mouth and tried to walk away. Didn't get very far. This little guy reminds me of that.

• Love 16

I just saw for the first time a commercial from the Clinton campaign showing children watching Trump on television mimicking handicapped people, etc. That is one effective commercial.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, starri said:

I feel bad that he can't eat the fish. 

The kitty is fine!! He's getting exercise with a little mental agility. I'm sure he will be rewarded for his efforts. 

Don't make me get the bats!!!

lol

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 4

This is my favorite quote from the movie The American President, spoken by Michael Douglas' President Andrew Shephard.   It always seems to ring true:

We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things, and two things only : Making you afraid of it, and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle age, middle class, middle income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family and American values and character and you wave an old photo of the president's girlfriend and you scream about patriotism. You tell them she's to blame for their lot in life. And you go on television and you call her a whore

• Love 20
1 minute ago, rcc said:

I just saw for the first time a commercial from the Clinton campaign showing children watching Trump on television mimicking handicapped people, etc. That is one effective commercial.

What state are you in, and what network did you see it on?  This played huge here in MN on MSNBC before the DNC and for weeks after.  For me, the new heart breaker is the Captain Kahn ad.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

What state are you in, and what network did you see it on?  This played huge here in MN on MSNBC before the DNC and for weeks after.  For me, the new heart breaker is the Captain Kahn ad.

Wow, I have not seen this new one. Very powerful. The one with the kids runs frequently and has for awhile. Good, as well. 

• Love 3

If Hillary wins, Mr and Mrs Kahn need to be at her inauguration.   In my opinion, they've been her most effective supporters (with the Obamas).

That commercial breaks my heart every time.

Right now I love the commercial she has playing here about children and families being the heart of her Presidency if she wins.  I wish people could see more of that side of her--I love the way she is with the kids.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, NewDigs said:

giphy.gif

Our cat's favorite toy is a fish-on-a-string-on-a-stick.  The first time he caught it he stuffed it into his mouth and tried to walk away. Didn't get very far. This little guy reminds me of that.

Awwwww so cute.  I love kittens.

• Love 4

I feel badly I  haven't contributed to the cute kitties, etc., theme.  Here are some squirrels I found when I was looking for a Halloween desktop wallpaper (from the wallpaperswide.com website):

halloween_squirrels-t2.jpg

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, starri said:

Bodega Cats is my go-to Internet therapy.  I'd actually like to be a bodega cat in my next life.

Oh my god, how did I live in NYC for 6 years and never see this?!? That is all kinds of awesome and hilarious. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Menrva said:

Oh my god, how did I live in NYC for 6 years and never see this?!? That is all kinds of awesome and hilarious. 

This was posted by a Latino thus the word Bodega for shop,  but look carefully at the signs.   I don't recognize the letters specifically but this was taken in the middle east. 

I think the board of health in NYC would have a problem with this.  LOL! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I think the board of health in NYC would have a problem with this.  LOL! 

You will take cats out of our bodegas over a lot of people's dead bodies.  They're technically against health codes, but people would riot.

• Love 6

I love a shop cat or dog. There is a little scraggly Poodle (I think) named Charlie that hangs out in a gift shop/cafe.  He is not allowed to go in the cafe part but he does.  He skulks in very low to the ground with his ears back.  Then his owner says, "I see you, Charlie," and he bounds out with a 'who me' attitude.  I was just looking.  Such a precious little guy.  

• Love 9

I don't know if this will help my anxiety, and I do wonder if Drumpf saying what he did--the ridiculous comparison that this email "scandal" of Hillary's is her "Watergate," had HBO add All The President's Men to their movie line up. Because it was just added and I'm watching it, because one: it's a fantastic movie; two: it's sad and makes me bitter/angry that today's journalists aren't even a tenth as good as Woodward and Bernstein were (the fact that Woodward has turned into a total asshole and hack is even more depressing); three: it soothes me to know some justice was done, and makes me hope history will repeat itself. And four: I am a masochist.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 9

I watched that on TCM the other night, @GHScorpiosRule, they had several old political movies on. It is a terrific movie, and yes, there aren't enough good journalists - who are allowed to be journalists - around these days.  I attribute part of the problem to the day news went from being a public service to one more line item on a corporate balance sheet.

• Love 5

I keep checking the poll numbers on 538 , and I'm anxious about Hillary's lead slipping.

At the same time I'm watching the Cubs blow their lead, going into extra innings.

The anxiety is too much.  I think I might have to drink that bottle of wine in the fridge.  

Staying drunk until the election is over may be my only option

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, backformore said:

I keep checking the poll numbers on 538 , and I'm anxious about Hillary's lead slipping.

At the same time I'm watching the Cubs blow their lead, going into extra innings.

The anxiety is too much.  I think I might have to drink that bottle of wine in the fridge.  

Staying drunk until the election is over may be my only option

Never a bad option!

• Love 2

The Chicago Cubs just won the World Series, y'all. After 108 fucking years. I'm a Cardinals fan, their biggest rival, but I have so much joy right now. 

Anything can happen.

Even my asteroid.

#FlyTheW #NoMoreNextYear

• Love 6

Ok - my anxiety is better now.   I'm a Chicagoan, Cubs fan from way back, but I don't watch games very often.   This game took FOREVER, what a nail-biting, anxiety- provoking last couple of hours.   Nobody around here is sleeping, there are fireworks going off all over the place.  

Now I need Hillary to win, and the universe will be in order. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Looking at election maps updated today I have a sick feeling in my stomach that we may have another election come down to FLORIDA.

I think we all know why that's scary.

She actually doesn't need Florida.  If she holds Colorado, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Minnesota,, Michigan, Illinois, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, all solidly behind the blue wall, then she snags any one of Nevada, Iowa, Ohio, North Carolina, or Florida, the official swing states, it is over.  He will have no path.  

Playing with this map is addicting.  

http://www.270towin.com/

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, 33kaitykaity said:

She actually doesn't need Florida.  If she holds Colorado, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Minnesota,, Michigan, Illinois, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, all solidly behind the blue wall, then she snags any one of Nevada, Iowa, Ohio, North Carolina, or Florida, the official swing states, it is over.  He will have no path.  

Playing with this map is addicting.  

http://www.270towin.com/

Why does 270towin have Wisconsin as gray?  It's the only map I've seen that as now.

But if it's really at risk? This end result would be scary.

OX5LoF.jpg

Edited by Kromm
13 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Why does 270towin have Wisconsin as gray?  It's the only map I've seen that as now.

OX5LoF.jpg

See what I mean?  It is so easy to play what-if with each scenario.  The poll that came out today by the Marquette University Law School for Wisconsin was referred to as the "gold standard" by Chris Hayes, so it sounds pretty straight-up to me.  It had HRC up by 6%, 46% to 40%.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

OX5LoF.jpg

Is Evan McMullin not still in the lead in Utah? That's the only state that seems to have an alternative conservative candidate that appeals to a lot of people  (Gary Johnson is a clown). So even in this bleak scenario, Trump still wouldn't have enough to win.

But the state polls still look just about good enough. And I think Hillary will win in Florida. It's just the fear of any more revelations between now and election day that scares me. With Trump, there are so many scandals that it's become white noise, and the media won't focus on any of them  for long enough. With Clinton it's the same big scandal, revisited.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Is Evan McMullin not still in the lead in Utah? That's the only state that seems to have an alternative conservative candidate that appeals to a lot of people  (Gary Johnson is a clown). So even in this bleak scenario, Trump still wouldn't have enough to win.

But the state polls still look just about good enough. And I think Hillary will win in Florida. It's just the fear of any more revelations between now and election day that scares me. With Trump, there are so many scandals that it's become white noise, and the media won't focus on any of them  for long enough. With Clinton it's the same big scandal, revisited.

One thing that will be interesting is the GOTV effort which Obama's ship was tight and right in 2008 but there was still a solid GOTV by Republicans in both 2008 and 2012.  Hillary has a good GOTV in most states and Trump and the RNC are basically not even close to any GOTV campaigns for the Presidential ticket. Tightening polls help Clinton because there are actually people urging voters to vote in a targeted (not rigged way) helping make sure their voters have everything they need get to the polls including dropping off absentee ballots to rides to the polls versus Trump who seems more interested in having his voters go to districts they don't even vote in to harass people.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

That's very true. I'm far from an educated voice on this, but I've seen people say that successful GOTV campaigns can add up to a 2-3% bump, on top of polling. And if you also factor in the likely rise in Hispanic first time voters who haven't been factored in to polling, it seems even healthier.

Also something to ponder, Princeton Election Consortium posted this electoral map that looks only at students in primary and secondary education:

CwN0BjQWAAAAy5B.jpg

A sign of things to come for the GOP if they don't modernise, cut away the toxic parts of their party, and embrace younger, more tolerant voters and minorities.

• Love 6