Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: There IS Crying in Fashion

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

The designers excitedly attend a press event, but their festive mood sours when the party turns out to be a challenge; many designers have to start over after receiving criticism from Tim Gunn.

Well if I didn't already know that I have no fashion sense, tonight proved it because....I LOVED DEXTER'S HOOCIE MAMA DRESS!   I really did.

Slinks over to dark corner in my tie dye and shorts.

Oh and one more thing.  Bedazzling stuff does not belong to Erin.  I just could not believe that.  What, because Erin bedazzled first, no one else can?  Bleh.  

Honestly!  Have none of these fashionistas EVER seen anything Bob Mackie designed in the 70s?  Cher's outfits!  Carol Burnett!

Edited by dosodog
My Bob Mackie love did not shine through the first timr
  • Love 16

Well that was gawd awful! I swear it took me five minutes to pick my jaw off the floor when they gave the win to Jennie's over embellished flapper dress. Did the judges not see the uneven hem? Maybe they were all hung over from drinking too much vodka. Laurence was robbed, she had the only dress I really liked. 

Nathalia should have been auf'ed along with Tasha. I think I could have done better than that chandelier dress and I don't even know how to sew! Erin's was awful too, a couch with moulting feathers. And how was Mah-Jing safe? His dress looked cheap and hooker-ish. Did everyone have vodka hang overs? Worst episode so far, very disappointing. 

• Love 24

The right person went home. I knew it would be Tasha about halfway through,  even though she didn't get the obligatory sad phone call home. 

Woukd have preferred Laurence or rik to win but jenni's was "ok".  

Erin looks so much better with a side part. I really dislike when her hair is parted in the middle and stringy and unbrushed looking. 

I can't believe making a cocktail dress showing your own POV has been their most difficult challenge yet!  

• Love 7

I liked the idea of Jenni's dress because I usually like dropped waist/flapper style dresses, but that was not well made and the embellishments were hiddy.  Laurence totally should have won.  I hope it's not ominous that the judges are complaining about having seen her make the same shoulder already.  To me, Laurence is head and shoulders above the others.  I did like Rik's dress, except for the zipper, and Roberi's turned out to be pretty good. The others were bad and I was glad to see cocky Erin taken down a couple of pegs.

• Love 20
24 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

I am tired Tired TIRED of these non-stop one-day challenges. Why can't Project Runway just be a show about talented people happily tackling interesting challenges and having a reasonable amount of time and space to do some creative thinking and some finished, satisfying work? That's what I want to see -- not stressed out, frustrated people, barely able to keep themselves together, let alone their work,  throwing last minute crap onto a model and then having to stand on the runway listening to Zac Posen lecture them on how unfinished and uninspired their work looks.  Kudos to those who manage to produce under the circumstances, but no one should have to work under those circumstances. This isn't Survivor - or at least, it shouldn't be.

I completely agree.   Give them two full days and you will see beautiful and well-constructed designs.  I always tuned in for the style and the fun.  Not to watch meltdowns you could set your watch by.  

• Love 17

I haven't commented this early on a show in ages, since the last Face Off Finale, but this one really got me. I'll try to keep the expletives to a minimum. Oh, where to start? First off, where the **** are these people attending cocktail parties? Didn't there used to be rules about the length of dresses and such? Next week, I'm carrying a legal pad around to jot stuff down, cause man, I needed one. Laurence (and I don't even like her, maybe I'm still upset about the pantsuit win) was ROBBED. I almost fell out of my seat when they said Jenni. JENNI? I got the whole modern speakeasy thing, BUT. I don't think it was the sequins or whatever that was like Erin, it was the shape of them. And on J's dress looked like coral fingers. And yeah, the hem was uneven. The whole thing looked poorly fitted, sack like. Does anyone know what "luxurious" means? L. was the only close one, I actually loved those quilted shoulders (had a purse like that yonks ago I used to death), her fit and length were great. And if Jenni stole the bedazzle idea from Erin, then Erin poached Chris March, cause that was done, too. I hated Rik's from top to bottom. Really, an apron? That color was ghastly, didn't understand the praise. Tasha was a foregone conclusion, flying by the seat of her pants for too long, though I love her. Her model looked like Andrea Thompson from NYPD Blue. Jmag had the best fabric, but the remake was almost worse than the original. Dmitry won a whole season (or two) on skater outfits, so.... And Heidi, her outfit are worse every week. Not even bad on trend, more like very bad vintage. Also, when did it become ok for the judges to fill in the designers stories with big words of their own, so the designer just nods along? ACK. I'm done foaming at the mouth tonight. See ya'll tomorrow. I can't believe I'm this worked up.

• Love 14

The Good- Laurence was robbed.  That was chic and stunning and in Nina's word "impeccable". I didn't love Erin's this week, but I still think she is one of the more talented ones there.  I also liked Dexter's!

I don't get the love for Jenni's.  It wasn't new, fresh or inventive.  It was pretty, but I had a dress very similar to that in the '90's that I wore to a Roaring 20's themed New Year's Eve party. The color of my dress was more brown/gold than her's and mine had slight cap sleeves but slouchy.  And what with Jenni's "free at last" melodrama about?  How has her creativity been stifled until this week?  I know last week was a team challenge, but other than that?  Every other challenge was up to each designer to create and execute something from their own idea, no? 

The Bad- Nathalia.  And Nathalia again.  That was horrendous. Her first attempt was marginally better.  The back of whatever that was looked like I sewed it, blindfolded in a darkroom with only dental floss for thread and a needle made from a broken plastic fork. Also hated Cornelius' dress, but I hate that he said "voluMptuous" even more. 

Another week, another unrecognizable guest judge.  I am not familiar with this young woman, but I felt bad for her. It was obvious from her very sad demeanor and droopy body language that they pulled that poor girl away from a funeral of a beloved grandparent. Or maybe from an "Angsty Millennial Wednesday Adams" look a like contest. 

• Love 23

It was obvious from her very sad demeanor and droopy body language that they pulled that poor girl away from a funeral of a beloved grandparent. Or maybe from an "Angsty Millennial Wednesday Adams" look a like contest. 

Aw. Maybe she was just upset thinking of hanging out at a cocktail party with people dressed that bad.

• Love 23

How did Tasha even make it onto the show?  I was happy she won the first challenge (Miss Ruth has alreadly set me straight about this disrememberance), even though I disliked her look - dropped crotch, ugh - but everything she does looks like random crap she pulled out of her closet, cut up and sewed back together.  Plus her personal style is less than inspiring.  She looks like a wrinkled, sloppy, hobo mess every damn day.   And it has nothing to do with her weight or income.  A designer should represent their aesthetic and Tasha always looked like she just hit the snooze alarm again.  That is not street style, except for actual unemployed street people who have no home - like Tasha for a while.

Can't say I blame Erin, but yeah...not good sportsmanship.  Laurence should have won.

Oh, and two vocab words I learned tonight "tossels" and "volumptuous". I swear that's what I heard.

IKR?  I loved the "behind the scenes" bit where Tim corrected Erin et al about their pronunciation of "mauve" last week.  It's 'mow-ve' not 'maw-ve'.   Oh and PR - you can show that fugly yellow coat as often as you want but it's still hideous to me.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, dosodog said:

Well if I didn't already know that I have no fashion sense, tonight proved it because....I LOVED DEXTER'S HOOCIE MAMA DRESS!   I really did!

I did too, and I didn't think it was hoochie, either. The color was rich and warm, and I loved the way he used the fringe (and I never love fringe). 

And Laurence was absolutely robbed. Her dress was exquisite, and just in a completely different league from the others. Jenni's was okay, I liked the color and didn't dislike the embellishments as much as I disliked Erin's last week. But in no way did it deserve a win over Laurence's. 

I also haaaaaated Rick's...thing. Zack made a good point about the quality of the leather, which did have a nice burnished look. But it was a butcher's apron, not a sophisticated cocktail dress. Just awful.

Edited by mauras
  • Love 10
  39 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

I am tired Tired TIRED of these non-stop one-day challenges. Why can't Project Runway just be a show about talented people happily tackling interesting challenges and having a reasonable amount of time and space to do some creative thinking and some finished, satisfying work? That's what I want to see -- not stressed out, frustrated people, barely able to keep themselves together, let alone their work,  throwing last minute crap onto a model and then having to stand on the runway listening to Zac Posen lecture them on how unfinished and uninspired their work looks.  Kudos to those who manage to produce under the circumstances, but no one should have to work under those circumstances. This isn't Survivor - or at least, it shouldn't be.

I completely agree.   Give them two full days and you will see beautiful and well-constructed designs.  I always tuned in for the style and the fun.  Not to watch meltdowns you could set your watch by.  

Also agree, but as someone reminded me last week, it's not about finding the best designer, it's about the best reality show. Sad but true and proven tonight.

• Love 4

Weren't the embellishments that they kept saying Jenni ripped off ... on the coat Jenni designed with Erin? Jenni also did not deserve that - the hem was jacked up, you could see the white background on the gold pieces since she didn't trim them well enough.

I didn't hate the fringe dress either but I was smirking at him and Erin getting a slap back.

Didn't care for the leather dress - it seemed to fit really poorly despite what the judges said. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Porkchop said:

Heidi looked washed out, uncombed, and her outfit was beyond awful. I can't believe how many women are not combing their hair these days! 

Well now that her inspiration Tasha has been auffed, she should be fine.

It's funny - except for that stupid tie - I thought Heidi looked uncontrived, natural and beautiful. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, mauras said:

I did too, and I didn't think it was hoochie, either. The color was rich and warm, and I loved the way he used the fringe (and I never love fringe). 

And Laurence was absolutely robbed. Her dress was exquisite, and just in a completely different league from the others. Jenni's was okay, I liked the color and didn't dislike the embellishments as much as I disliked Erin's last week. But in no way did it deserve a win over Laurence's. 

I also haaaaaated Rick's...thing. Zack made a good point about the quality of the leather, which did have a nice burnished look. But it was a butcher's apron, not a sophisticated cocktail dress. Just awful.

Even thought I kind of liked it, I also, got too much "apron" from it, but I thought more like a blacksmith or welder, LOL!!  It was very well done, though.  And Zac was also right about the zipper cheapening it just a bit.  I'm so over the exposed oversized zipper thing.  

And, I agree that Laurence was robbed.  That dress was so well done, expertly tailored, and intricately sewn, it made all the other dresses look really, really bad.

2 minutes ago, Albino said:

Well now that her inspiration Tasha has been auffed, she should be fine.

It's funny - except for that stupid tie - I thought Heidi looked uncontrived, natural and beautiful

I agree, and it's actually refreshing to see Heidi wearing things that are super tight, super short or trashy-looking.  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, sourpickles said:

Also agree, but as someone reminded me last week, it's not about finding the best designer, it's about the best reality show. Sad but true and proven tonight.

You may be completely right, but I still resent it. Whose definition of "best reality show" is this, anyway? Do they have proof more people watch to see the designers melting down over the deadlines, than watch to see what the designers actually make? The Great British Baking Show has a fanatical following in Britain and here in the States, and they give the contestants a full week at home with the challenge to work out their recipe before they have to come and make it for the judges..  And people being people (and baking being baking) there's still plenty of drama as they do. But it's more about "Will Angelina get all the tiny rosettes she handmade out of peanut butter onto the top of her cake as her hands shake uncontrollably with nervous tension?" and less about "Will Angelina succeed in making the required  37 kinds of iced pastries in forty-five minutes, and or will she just collapse weeping into a pool of melted fondant?"

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 12

I had to wonder what the judges were huffing that they thought Jenni's dress looked like anything more than a high school home-ec project, and one that only got a B-, at best. And how in the world did Rik's dress qualify as cocktail wear? Especially with that clunky zipper down the back. I actually think Nathalia's fabric comb could have worked if she'd made a 1920s look, ala Downtown Abbey. What a waste of expensive fabric

• Love 8

Heidi looked washed out, uncombed, and her outfit was beyond awful. I can't believe how many women are not combing their hair these days! 

Heidi always looks amazing, but I did wonder why she didn't take a minute to run a comb through her hair.

• Love 1

I thought Nathalia could have saved her original dress by just not covering the whole thing with the beaded fabric (which I loved).  She could have cut some out and placed it over the hips or something. But I suppose if she just used part of the beaded fabric by placing it on the dress, she would have been accused of copying Erin, the only person to embellish fabric with gee-gaws.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

And, I agree that Laurence was robbed.  That dress was so well done, expertly tailored, and intricately sewn, it made all the other dresses look really, really bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Chanel "copy" that dress!

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Miss Ruth said:

Erin won the first challenge.  Tasha has been skating by, but hasn't won anything.

Oh you're right!  It's been what...a few weeks and I forgot already.  Thanks!

• Love 1

Laurence's dress won in my universe (but then I'm looking for a gorgeous dress, not some b.s. TV rhythm in which someone has to "peak" further along in the competition).

And not to sound like a broken record, but Heidi's wardrobe person is still on the hate train.

• Love 7

Dexter's made me laugh...it was reminiscent of Cousin It. 

I don't know what kind of cocktail parties those designers were imagining, but there was some wacky tacky on that runway!

I hated those embellishments on Jenni's dress.  I liked the shape of the dress, but wish it had been done in a rich fabric, maybe textured, instead.  And that it had been sewn better.  No way did that deserve the win.

Roberi's dress was interesting and turned out way better than I expected.  It looked very well tailored and the pattern and cut was very flattering, from the quick view we saw of it.

• Love 10

I have to agree that the problem with Jenni wasn't just the appliqué, but the shape of them. They did look exactly like something Erin would make. The addition of them last week was suggested and carried out by Erin, so Jenni doesn't even have that as an excuse. When three or four people are mentioning the similarity, it just might be a thing. 

Overall, a horrible episode with a shitty winner. 

• Love 14
47 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Overall, a horrible episode with a shitty winner. 

ICAM! I tuned in to see if Alex would get the Tim Gunn save, and stayed because I was intrigued by the challenge. While I realize a cocktail dress does not have to be the traditional LBD, most of these designs did not say cocktail party to me. Jenni may have been inspired by a 20s flapper dress, but her outfit was poorly constructed and the embellishments did not enhance the look. Laurence nailed the challenge for a cocktail dress that was unique and tailored well. What a farce.

• Love 8

Some episodes are made just for the buzz around them. Like this one. Everyone was suprised with the winner. Even the winner herself. It was obvious that she didn't deserve it. But here I am, looking for a forum to pour my frustration.  Their goal - to create drama and talk about the show- successful!

It's a reality show, not  a real designer competition. 

Sadly!

Have a good night all, go create some dreams tonight:)) 

• Love 3

I liked the shape of Jenni's dress but it looked like it was crawling with worms.  Yuck.

That said, Erin can have a seat.  She's not the first person to glue crap on clothes, nor is she the best.  Except for her outfit the first week, everything she's made has been cheap and awful.  I laughed and laughed at her smug commentary while they cut away to Nina and Zac's horrified faces.  

Laurence was robbed, that dress was miles above everyone else's.  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 12

Laurence was robbed and we were gaslighted. They tried so hard to make us believe that Jenni's garment was worth talking about as if we couldn't see that wavy hem and the seams that puckered on the sides. Laurence's look was not just a good garment, that was fashion week level good and not Project Runway Fashion Week  - Chanel Fashion Week (You know Lagerfeld would fan himself angrily thinking 'Why didn't we think of those sleeves?)'. Oh, those quilted sleeves and the gathered look to the collar that resembled a more fluid fabric were wonderful. That takes a level of creativity and skill that no one else there has. She, Rik (and, I must admit, Brik) had the only well constructed looks there. (Brik may not have any taste, but he can sew).

Tasha deserved to go home, her dress did look so sad. The only thing that could have saved her would have been if Nathalia's cobbled together piece had fallen off her model on the runway, but no dice. Nathalia and her well nourished hatred for Erin will be back to delight us for another week. I know Erin is full of herself, but still, Nathalia and Cornelius need to get over it because hating Erin isn't going to make her any less talented. Maybe they should take a closer look at what's working for her like Jenni did. I know they both worked on that coat together, but the embellishments were Erin's idea. In fact everything the judges liked about the winning team's collection last week (the color, the applique) were Erin's ideas.

Dmitry won a whole season (or two) on skater outfits

Thank you. It drove me crazy that he kept winning with those ice dancer looks, while someone more original like Uli, could never move past runner up.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 17

I was pounding the refresh button during the show because I couldn't get in here!  Locked!  But Heidi looks like The Colonel!  

Also frustrating was the fact that Jenni got the win just because the judges thought the dress was Erin's. Sorry, I thought Erin's Lion King costume was made better and a gorgeous color. Like Laurence, I thought their inspiration matched their dresses, which is what I thought this was about. I didn't like Jenni's at all because most girls haven't worn an A-line like that since they were 4, the color looked like a paper bag and the construction was awful. Memories of covering schoolbooks danced through my head.  

Laurence was most definitely robbed as many have said. How she managed to make the sleeves resemble a Chanel bag was impressive. She lost points because that pile of wet sand on the end pointed out that black was a too obvious choice for a cocktail dress?  Usually nitwit Nina is all over that. I'm not a fringe fan but Dexter's dress appeared to be well-made as well. The others, I guess, were cocktail dresses in some alternate universe. Thought they looked like they were hosting pool parties or something. I'm glad Tasha won $5000 before leaving this nut house.  

• Love 7

Speaking of Uli, I was thinking about her tonight...her and Laura Bennett and Jay and Kara Saun and the two Chris's ( March and Siriano) and all the others from the first years.  Is it just the lack of time that makes this season's designers seem so inept?

• Love 12

Upside to this week: Maybe being Bottom 3 will smack some of the smugness off Erin's face. I liked her first dress, but she's been running on her own complacency ever since.

I kept wondering if I'd have liked Rik's more in a dull matte red rather than the Trump Orange he chose. Same problem with Roberi—I didn't see cocktail in that fabric, just flashbacks to those Ocean Pacific shirts that were all the rage with boys in the '70s and early '80s.

• Love 5

I guess I have no fashion style. Laurence should have won - but Jenni's was the pits - sorry Natalia's, Erin's and Jennie's were the worst for me. Roberi and Cornelius did not look like cocktail dresses to me but more a professional working woman. I like Tasha and could see that dress although better constructed at a cocktail party. And I loved Dexter's.

I love Project Runway but really how many of these dresses walking the runway do we actually see on any woman - rich or not? Even Red Carpet and Gala events - the majority of women have pretty much the same dress styles on year after year. I never see some of the ridiculous lines that come down the runways - so who is their customer?

• Love 1

WAhxKY3.jpg   I can just picture Swatch lifting his leg and piddling on that awful bunch of disastrous "cocktail" ....cough, gag, cough... dresses !!  Agreeing with above posters that Laurence was the sure winner... style, fabric, construction... the whole package ! Shades of Laura Bennett. Soooooo many of them are drama queens, and now the copy-cat contestant appears.  In a competition, originality counts, and making it work doesn't involve another designers' embellishments being used in the next weeks challenge.             Sorry Swatch... we've got a bone to pick with the judges.

• Love 7

Tasha's dress would have been better if she kept her original bodice and swapped the washed denim for the darker.  That said, there would still have been no reference to that beautiful Absolut lounge.  Nine times out of ten designers come up with what I would call cocktail dresses--short, pretty, sleeveless-but they can't figure anything out for an actual cocktail dress challenge?

I was glad to see Erin taken down a notch, but not glad to see Dexter also acting like Miss Thing.  

• Love 4

Yuck - Erin and Dexter showed their true colors last night. What a couple of nasty, smug, obnoxious people. I wanted to knock those pink glasses off Erin's face, and that was before she spent an entire day telling herself, Dexter and anyone else within earshot how vastly superior her tight ugly 80's Dynasty dress was. 

• Love 5

I was kinda annoyed with a Zac's criticism of Laurence that she doesn't talk a lot on the runway and lets the garment speak for itself.  I was glad that Heidi (or was it Nina) who said that she respects that about Laurence.  If it is a good, quality, well made, beautiful garment like Laurence sent down this episode, she shouldn't have to talk it up.  Matter of factly saying what she did and what her inspiration was is all that she needed to say, or answer direct questions; she shouldn't have to sell the judges a story to win.  How the judges didn't pick that dress as a winner befuddles me.  Jenni's dress wasn't well made and it was greatly vintage looking (i.e., it's been in a thrift store for years and got all raggedy), not "fresh" or "modern".  (For the record, I love 20s vintage stuff, but don't try to tell me it's current and edgy when it's clearly apropos of a Louise Brooks movie,)

• Love 11