Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: There IS Crying in Fashion

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Back when I still watched every episode in its entirety,  it wasn't hard to get a sense of the editing as to who was going and even in snatches I knew who was being eliminated.  I even knew that both Erin and Dexter were not going to be in the top.

But kudos show.  Kudos indeed.  Because I was shocked as hell that the set up with Erin and Jenny was not both being in the bottom for those monstrosities.  And that to me, the judges basically still try to circumvent the nature of a blind judging as it seemed their marks were based in part on who they thought made Jenny's scarf she made into a dress that clearly said dry clean only and she still insisted on throwing in the washer.  At hot.  With all her dirty sneakers in the same load.

I loved the Butcher apron dress and would have had no problem it winning.  But Laurence winning would still be only other option for me.  Even if Erin had made it, it still looked like a bunch of kindergarten kids tried to make a dress for their teacher, all wiped their runny noses on it and then tried to hide their sins with a rushed job of glued on pipe cleaners.

• Love 1
On 2016-10-20 at 7:51 PM, Ketzel said:

I am tired Tired TIRED of these non-stop one-day challenges. Why can't Project Runway just be a show about talented people happily tackling interesting challenges and having a reasonable amount of time and space to do some creative thinking and some finished, satisfying work? That's what I want to see -- not stressed out, frustrated people, barely able to keep themselves together, let alone their work,  throwing last minute crap onto a model and then having to stand on the runway listening to Zac Posen lecture them on how unfinished and uninspired their work looks.  Kudos to those who manage to produce under the circumstances, but no one should have to work under those circumstances. This isn't Survivor - or at least, it shouldn't be.

I totally agree!  I would rather see quality clothing than designs that are slapped together in a hurry.

On 2016-10-20 at 7:38 PM, Adeejay said:

Laurence was robbed.  I found it interesting that the judges thought Jenni's design was Erin's.  Tasha deserved to be aufed.   

I was floored by the judges decision.  One judge called Laurence's dress "The Bentley of cocktail dresses".  So why didn't she win?  It was clearly the best dress on that runway.

• Love 1

"Best dress" is subjective.  I didn't like it best, apparently the judges didn't.  Maybe Nina or whoever called it a Bentley did, or maybe she just thought it was a really good LBD, but really how creative and fashion forward is a LBD?  No color, no pattern, no drape... just a simple leather sheath with some stitching embellishments.  And pointy shoulders like we've seen a hundred times on that runway.  

On 10/22/2016 at 4:58 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm one of the few who didn't like Laurence's dress.  [...]  And all the beautiful, unique things in that lounge and you pick a black leather couch that's in virtually every lounge and office?  

I actually loved her dress, but I completely agree about the "inspiration". I had the feeling that she would walk into any location, look for something made of leather, and declare it her inspiration. That said, I did see the inspiration in the buttons she had on the top. 

Despite thinking her inspiration was a cop-out, I still thought she should have won. I honestly felt that Jenni's was as bad as Nathalia's and Tasha's dresses in both conception and execution. Of those three, I felt Nathalia's had the best possibilities. I would have had a bottom two of Jenni and Tasha. 

• Love 2

Wow, I've gone through the whole thread and apparently I'm the only one who agreed with the winner this week?  I thought in fact that this was one of the better dresses I've seen on the show, ever.  Not because it was incredibly complex, obviously; but it was just so damn cool.  And this is after all a cocktail dress competition, so it shouldn't be too avant-garde or anything.

But then last week, and in many other weeks, I've thought the judging was way off.  So it's not like I am totally tuned in to their aesthetic or something.  I dunno...just happens that I loved the same one they did this time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SlackerInc said:

Wow, I've gone through the whole thread and apparently I'm the only one who agreed with the winner this week?  I thought in fact that this was one of the better dresses I've seen on the show, ever.  Not because it was incredibly complex, obviously; but it was just so damn cool.  And this is after all a cocktail dress competition, so it shouldn't be too avant-garde or anything.

But then last week, and in many other weeks, I've thought the judging was way off.  So it's not like I am totally tuned in to their aesthetic or something.  I dunno...just happens that I loved the same one they did this time.

I liked it, too.  I figured it was going to win.  

On 10/20/2016 at 10:49 PM, njbchlover said:

Zac was also right about the zipper cheapening it just a bit.  I'm so over the exposed oversized zipper thing.  

I'm also over Mah-Jing always having a zipper around his neck like a necklace everywhere he goes. You're a designer, I get it. And stop blubbering constantly, even Tim is giving you grief about it.

Brik was really bringing it in this episode with his comments:  "Shiny is a color, right?" also "It has kind of a retro future vibe" Then he called Dexter's look "Like fringe with benefits." Now, only one of those did he mean to be funny... but that's just part of what made it so great.

• Love 3

Brik: One of the nicer things I've seen him make on the show. He achieved that slimming look Laurence failed in the swimsuit episode.

Cornelius: It emphasized a flat chest & wide hips. The pattern was not cocktail appropriate.

Dexter: I don't see the "hoochie mama" Heidi was claiming, I thought she'd go more for a "bearded lady." Not a bad design, would have looked better in white, black, blue or red, or yellow.

Erin: This was my favorite, so of course Heidi & Nina hated it. I absolutely loved the fit & the copper.

Jenni: Really surprised it won. It was very aquarium costumy & the fit was baggy. All I could see was corals & starfish.

Laurence: One of the better things she's made, but I think that dress would make you blend in with the room instead of stand out in it. Excellent sewing detail though.

Mah-Jing is my favorite personality, but not my favorite designer. When I saw the way the material pouched, pocketed, & wrinkled all over the dress, I was afraid he'd be in the bottom 3.

Nethalia: Honestly, I liked the little pink prom dress she was working on before Tim butted in & accused it of looking like a skate dress. The finished product looked unflattering from every angle.

Rik: Looks like an apron you'd find in a sexy lingerie shop & not something that should be worn outdoors. I can't believe this was in the top 3.

Roberi: Absolutely the wrong material for a cocktail dress, but it was a cute & flattering dress nonetheless.

Tasha: Looked like an off-the-rack dress you'd find at Macey's, but still somehow less gaudy than Rik's apron or Jenni's corals.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, wings707 said:

AND it was a fucking cocktail dress!  

Things changed and now it isn't as appealing to new highly skilled designers as it used to be.  It has probably run its course.  Ashley winning last season was a huge nail in the coffin.  It seems they are not taking things as seriously.  

1. Change of network (leaves NYC) 

2. Less time to complete garment and smaller budget, in general. 

3. The loss of Michael Kors (big name) 

4. Guest judges we have never heard of

5. Heidi is spread too thinly.  It is not her prize baby anymore and that shows. 

Those 5 things make this show less that it was.  

Christian Siriano won the last season (5) on Bravo.  NYC is the fashion hub in this country.  When it moved to LA some of its soul was lost.  

Christian Siriano won season 4. Leanne Marshall won season 5, the last season on Bravo.

• Love 3