Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

Just read a People article that said that the coroner's report states that Mary died of an accidental drowning. They say that she "slipped" but didn't elaborate. Sorry I don't have the link; I read it through Google News.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Just read a People article that said that the coroner's report states that Mary died of an accidental drowning. They say that she "slipped" but didn't elaborate. Sorry I don't have the link; I read it through Google News.

Oh no, how awful. I was praying Mary had a heart attack or aneurysm and was gone before she hit the water. I can't stand these people, but that's sad to lose a relative in such a tragic manner. It also makes Jill's enthusiastic "she was ready to get her new body in Heaven!" post wildly inappropriate. I'm hoping she wrote it before she had all the details.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 15
(edited)

That's terrible. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1

I gotchu

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2019 at 11:45 AM, truebluesmoky said:

Jessa’a tribute to her grandmother:

The cynic in me wants to say that hers is later and longer for optimal attention getting. But I choose to believe that she was truly heartbroken, especially with all the postpartum hormones flowing through her right now, and needed a few days to write something that she felt would truly do her grandma justice. There is some really sweet stuff in there.

I think they had Jessa craft something to counter the backlash of the Jill, Lauren, and Jana posts.

I found their tributes odd (to be polite) but then I remember that they're Duggars and the idea of emotion was blanket trained out of them at a young age. And if they found it, they were sent to camp to have it beat out of them again.

• Love 5
(edited)

Man, my parents have a pool at their house and this kind of drowning never occurred to me.

I will say Amy had a video posted of Grandma Mary from her birthday in late May and Grandma did not seem all there. Her voice reminded me a lot of my grandmother’s right before she passed.  It cracked a little more and was just slightly laced with confusion, like she didn’t quite trust what was going to come out next.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Grandma did have a stroke or heart attack but the coroner stopped at water in the lungs.  It’s still considered a drowning for reporting purposes and the death certificate.

Edited by Saylii
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

i was gonna come here and say that i have felt some heavy sadness over knowing she is gone. i can't explain it but it feels similar to losing a friend , i guess. maybe its just the 'grandma' title that is getting to me. i still have dreams about my grandmother and how she died (nothing unusual, just that i wasnt there and didnt see her). i wake up in tears sometimes. so i a transferring my sad feeling of losing my grandmother all that time ago onto what they must be feeling now.

and frankly, knowing about the pool makes it worse.

• Love 8
On 6/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, 3 is enough said:

I have to say that I am not pleased that Pickles chose to share the somewhat gruesome details of Mary's death.  I understand that she dislikes the family immensely, but I think that was totally unnecessary.

The family chose not to publicize the details of her death, and I think that should be respected.  I realize that a certain loss of privacy comes with the choice to be featured on reality tv, but they still have the right to choose which details of their lives they wish to be made public.

I  feel that Grandma was stripped of some dignity by having this info made public.

It isn't just famous people. The local newspaper published my brother's suicide note without even contacting any of the family, much less asking if they could. It was part of the evidence bagged & tagged, and they did what they wanted. It was not, uh, helpful to the situation or the humans going through it. 

1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

I mentioned this in Jill's thread too but now knowing how poor Gma Mary died, Lauren and Jill's posts seem just gross and inappropriate. 

Can you explain why/what they said? Just catching up now and had no idea this happened - so sad, she legit seemed like a nice woman who cared.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, cereality said:

Can you explain why/what they said? Just catching up now and had no idea this happened - so sad, she legit seemed like a nice woman who cared.

1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

I mentioned this in Jill's thread too but now knowing how poor Gma Mary died, Lauren and Jill's posts seem just gross and inappropriate. 

I'd say it was more Jill and Jana. Although Lauren's post wasn't in the greatest taste either, it was more because she couldn't resist inserting Baby Asa into the post. 

Jill said: "I know she was ready to check outta here and get her new body in heaven before the old one started giving her too much trouble! 😉" (Emoji included)

Jana: Said she drove Grandma to church that morning. Then, "later that afternoon, she got to meet Him face to face! I'd say that's probably how she would have chosen to finish out the day had she got to pick."

I mostly think their posts are not in the greatest form due to the circumstances surrounding Mary's death, especially if there are no medical issues found connected with the drowning. If Mary had been terminally ill for a number of years, then their posts would make more sense, as they would convey that Mary was in a better place in heaven, she was not experiencing any more pain, etc. But those are not the circumstances surrounding the nature of Mary's death, even if she had been experiencing some medical issues in the past few months.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 6/10/2019 at 12:21 PM, truebluesmoky said:

I am sure the 20 is counting Tyler, because any miscarriages would not be counted in a “survived by” total. Based on social media and the show itself, it seems to me that one of the only things JimBob and Michelle have done right in their lives is to fully embrace Tyler as another son, make him feel fully part of their family, and make him feel secure and loved. That doesn’t make up for all the harm they’ve done to many of their other children, but I do think they’re doing right by Tyler.

Si and Lauren posted this...

Oh no she fucking didn't. Lauren just had to go and make this all about herself and her heavy period instead of supporting her grieving husband.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:58 PM, Annb67 said:

Ooooh...pretend police badges...

615261649_awardsfromarmy.gif.4510e33dcedd22c5522e6fdb0cf01ce6.gif

• LOL 5
  • Love 15

What gets me is there's all this talk about getting her new body in heaven, and meeting her savior (or whatever), and seeing baby Asa, and not getting to meet all the new great-grandbabies on the way, but nothing about her being reunited with her husband. They really didn't like Grandpa Duggar did they? Sad. 

• Love 3
(edited)
31 minutes ago, christine falls said:

What gets me is there's all this talk about getting her new body in heaven, and meeting her savior (or whatever), and seeing baby Asa, and not getting to meet all the new great-grandbabies on the way, but nothing about her being reunited with her husband. They really didn't like Grandpa Duggar did they? Sad. 

With the way Jim Bob speaks about him, they probably don’t believe Grandpa Duggar is in heaven.  If he’s not in heaven, there’s reunion for grandma and grandpa. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, christine falls said:

Boob loathed him because he never approved of his lifestyle and constantly talks crap about him in his testimony. (You can find some videos on YouTube)

He calls him an absent father and blames all the bad stuff that happened in his childhood (no money, house foreclosure) on his Dad not having a connection with Christ. He has said Mary was practically a single mother because she supposedly raised them on her own. 

Boob probably believes his father is in hell that's why there is no mention from anyone about Mary and her husband finally resting together. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I'd say it was more Jill and Jana. Although Lauren's post wasn't in the greatest taste either, it was more because she couldn't resist inserting Baby Asa into the post. 

Jill said: "I know she was ready to check outta here and get her new body in heaven before the old one started giving her too much trouble! 😉" (Emoji included)

Jana: Said she drove Grandma to church that morning. Then, "later that afternoon, she got to meet Him face to face! I'd say that's probably how she would have chosen to finish out the day had she got to pick."

I mostly think their posts are not in the greatest form due to the circumstances surrounding Mary's death, especially if there are no medical issues found connected with the drowning. If Mary had been terminally ill for a number of years, then their posts would make more sense, as they would convey that Mary was in a better place in heaven, she was not experiencing any more pain, etc. But those are not the circumstances surrounding the nature of Mary's death, even if she had been experiencing some medical issues in the past few months.

"Check outta here"....Lord Give Me Strength!  I think someone needs to appoint a minder to oversee Miss Jill's Social Media activity.  98% of her posts seem to devolve into a steaming hot mess.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

"get her new body in heaven before the old one started giving her too much trouble"

Since when does one "get a new body" in Heaven? I was always taught that when someone dies, he leaves his temporal body behind and ascends to Heaven as a spirit. Do Fundies believe that people have actual, physical bodies in the next world?

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

Since when does one "get a new body" in Heaven? I was always taught that when someone dies, he leaves his temporal body behind and ascends to Heaven as a spirit. Do Fundies believe that people have actual, physical bodies in the next world?

Not just fundies. The resurrection of the dead has been a fundamental Christian belief from the beginning of Christianity and remains so officially today.

It's essential Christian doctrine, according to the Catholic church and others. Christ experienced a bodily resurrection -- essential to have happen in that case because his being a physical body in the first place was the ultimate, most important belief that set Christian faith apart from other beliefs about gods. And that established physical resurrection as the end for all. 

A lot of people don't know what their church states. And many people have personally morphed their own thinking into other beliefs that feel more rational in the modern world, such as going to heaven as a spirit or even reincarnation. But the official line is -- resurrection of the body. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, EmeraldGirl said:

From Amy on Twitter.  That funeral is going to be fun! 

“Sometimes it's ok to use emojis and then there are other times when. You. Just. Don't. 🙄😖😒

Is Amy calling out Jill on Twitter? While mourning Mary's death? This family is all kinds of effed up.

Not to defend Jill, but she's the emotional equivalent of an adolescent. Amy hasn't figured that out? And is Amy feeling like she has a win in her column for the most heartfelt post about Grandma?

Us snarking about all this is one thing, but Amy snarking on her cousin is another. 

• Love 12
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Why can't they show true emotion. If my grandmother passed by horrifically slipping and drowning while by herself I'd be pissed!. It would take some long conversations with God over that. Sorry but this "We're rejoicing! Yay God! I'm sure she was happy to check out of here" crap makes me angry. 

Because you're trying to make yourself feel better about what has happened to Grandma? In the way of an awkward, childlike person who's been blanket-trained to have and express no honest feelings -- from birth and to the present day as an Unreality-Reality-TeeVee Stah on A Show That's Not Reality But Lying PR For JB and M?

What they're saying is completely in line with the beliefs that have been hammered into them and that they cling to because what else have they got?

And I have no doubt that Mary's frequently said these very things to them lately about being weary in body and spirit and weary of illness and looking forward to the joyous day when she reclaims her young body with Jesus. It wouldn't even surprise me if she's said it in some down-homey-casual ways like Jill did. All they're awkwardly doing is saying they badly want Mary to be at home and well and happy now -- and they're holding onto that thought rather than expressing much sadness because Duggarlings aren't allowed to express negative emotions because Jesus Gothard and their phony parents. 

So, Amy's had her feelings hurt here. But while the others may be saying things that upset her, they aren't intending to hurt anyone. They're trying to make themselves and others feel better and express what their faith tells them is the good news for Mary, in lieu of things their emotional crippling keeps them from saying and even from realizing that they feel.

Meanwhile, Amy's intentionally been a bitch and a hypocrite and user plenty of times. All the while pretending that she's the "rebel Duggar" when she's never for one minute had to live under the rules of JB's and M's and Gothard's hellhole.  So she can just suck it up, as far as I'm concerned.  Their intent is clearly not to hurt her or anyone, awkward as they may be.

So if she's really responding with anger expressed through underhanded, plausibly deniable accusations that they've said the wrong thing, give me the argument for that being a virtuous thing to do. That's the mean-girl behavior, in my opinion. I'll take awkward tone-deaf "bad taste" over underhanded bitchiness that you can later sweetly lie and deny any day of the week. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 17
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Good for Amy for showing real emotion. Yeah, Jill and her damn emojis, Jana with her "I'm sure that's how she wanted to end her day" and Lauren with her baby Asa shit has been so inappropriate. Why can't they show true emotion. If my grandmother passed by horrifically slipping and drowning while by herself I'd be pissed!. It would take some long conversations with God over that. Sorry but this "We're rejoicing! Yay God! I'm sure she was happy to check out of here" crap makes me angry. 

Yeah, I can't blame Amy either. The majority of us thought some of the posts were in poor taste even before the details of Mary's death were revealed. Now it's like, what the hell were they thinking?! Mary fell into the pool and drowned. That's not an ideal way to meet Jesus, and I'm sure that's not how she wanted to go out, even if her health was failing. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 18
11 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

There are five million people in this family and somehow she was alone when this happened?

I have no idea whether Mary was an introvert, but if it were me with the five-million-person family, I’d definitely need some alone time. Not that I’d wish this kind of passing on anyone, but after a morning at church and probably a huge family lunch, I need a break!

4 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Not just “Fundies.” Lots of Christians believe this because it’s mentioned several times in the New Testament. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Annb67 said:

Good for Amy for showing real emotion. Yeah, Jill and her damn emojis, Jana with her "I'm sure that's how she wanted to end her day" and Lauren with her baby Asa shit has been so inappropriate. Why can't they show true emotion. If my grandmother passed by horrifically slipping and drowning while by herself I'd be pissed!. It would take some long conversations with God over that. Sorry but this "We're rejoicing! Yay God! I'm sure she was happy to check out of here" crap makes me angry. 

they are robots not human. The are told what emotion to portray but can never feel it.

• Love 8
(edited)

I think it is entirely possible that Jill ( and maybe others) did not know the complete circumstances of Mary’s death at the time of her( their) post. All she may have been told at that time was that Mary was found deceased at home.  Jill doesn’t live at the compound.  She probably got a phone call or text. 

Amy was much closer to Mary for several reasons- Mary split her time between the compound and Deanna’s home. When she was at Deanna’s home, Amy was the only child living there. Lots of quality time then.  Amy was single for several years as an adult - more time for grandma. Jb’s girls were busy at the compound being 1 of19, and being buddies, teachers and maids. Then as soon as they qualified as adults they were married and pregnant. Not a big amount of time to bond with Mary. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

My dad had brain cancer and was in Hospice when he died, and the doctor still asked if we wanted an autopsy.  No, we didn't.  But it makes sense there is going to be more of an investigation/inquest with Grandma Mary's death.

My dad also had brain cancer and died in hospice at a nursing home. I don't remember being asked about an autopsy, but at that moment, I was not even thinking properly. 

15 hours ago, Zella said:

That's terrible. 

This is sad and a horrible way to pass.  Do they have a fence around the pool?  Not that that would have necessarily helped but with all those kids I would be surprised if there were not.  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, mimionthebeach said:

I read that as anger from Amy, not snark. She doesn't seem to suffer the emotional retardation her cousins do and, all things considered, is probably hurting the most. I'm cutting her a lot of slack for not rationalizing Jill's stupid (and, to Amy, probably hurtful and offensive) post. Jill's post seemed glib before we knew the circumstances. Now we know, it's really inappropriate. Imagine how Amy felt reading that "Grams was good to go 😉👍" after she'd found Mary floating in the pool!

The trouble is, without emojis Jill doesn't know how to feel. It's like when Jim Bob had to talk Michelle through how she should feel about Miss Cathy's precarious health before the wedding. 

I did too.  My personal opinion:  I think to the Duggars Grandma was someone there to do laundry, babysit and whathaveyou (servant) and to Amy she was grandma, travel buddy, confidante, etc.  Much different relationships.  And many of the Duggar kids seems like assholes lacking compassion/having empathy for anyone.

• Love 22

I'll go back to the Duggarlings being emotionless robots who had the idea of appropriate emotions beat out of them from a young age.

However, JB would benefit greatly to hire a social media consultant who has to approve all their social media activity. Lauren Markle can compare everything to her miscarriage on a private account, Anna Smuggar can go on political tirades on a private account with emojis, the Dillards can post their dirty house selfies with inappropriate captions on a private account... You get where I'm going here. If being social media moguls is the back up plan when the show ends they are in an over-saturated market. They can't afford to make any missteps. Even if they are emotionally stunted. The internet is not all that forgiving. The Strange Planet guy lost followers and income for less because he didn't clean up his social media once his comics went viral.

They may have to head over to Chernobyl to take selfies. I hear that's the latest fad to get $$$ in the influencer market.

• Love 7

Do we know who found Mary in the pool?  That will probably haunt whoever found her forever. 

I worry about a friend of mine who has a new pool and who also has diabetes and has suffered at least two blackouts due to low blood sugar. If that should happen while she is in or near the pool the same thing could happen to her. Her daughter lives with her, but also travels for work. My friend could be in the pool for days if that should happen....

7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Here's the obituary. Not much different than the original DFO post, aside from EVERYONE being named and Mary's middle name. 

http://heritageofnwa.com/mary-leona-duggar/

I'm not going to lie, I would hate to be one of the funeral home's staff assisting with the arrangements.  That obituary has no flow to it, and parts are oddly worded.  I know this is a proudly informal family in both education and manners, but I do feel that obituaries are the time to use a person's legal name and not just nicknames--this is why parenthesis were invented.  For my father's obituary, my middle name is included and my mom's and little brother's legal names were used with their given names in quotes.  I made that choice because I was the only one of the kids named by our father and my middle name is my great-grandmother's name on his side.  

I do wonder if the Duggars are paying for this to appear in the local newspaper or if they are just going to go with the shorter mandatory death notice.  This is a long obit and would cost a pretty penny.   

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

if they are just going to go with the shorter mandatory death notice.

There are places with mandatory death notices?  How does that work?

14 minutes ago, Temperance said:

As for Jill, she's a 28 mother of two. Time to grow up sometime. 

Quote in our family is you have to quit making excuses for people at some point.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

There are places with mandatory death notices?  How does that work?

Most states in the US require a death notice be posted in some way that is searchable for creditors.  These are simple 1-2 sentence death notices giving the legal name and last legal residence of the deceased.  I believe this is a holdover from before the internet and databases when the only way to disseminate this information was in a newspaper   I can tell you from personal experience, large credit card companies have employees on the payroll who comb these notices.  There is no such thing as too soon for debt collectors.

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
(edited)

Really?  I looked it up after seeing that above and the article I found said that there was no mandatory requirement in any US state unless some particular instance in probate required it.  So far in settling the relatives' estates, we've avoided probate and I've never posted a death notice so I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.  Then I thought perhaps other countries are different.

My shock over a 78 year old woman dying by drowning in her pool continued today as I was talking to neighbors and it came up in conversation.  Most people thought she must have had another stroke.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Most states in the US require a death notice be posted in some way that is searchable for creditors.  These are simple 1-2 sentence death notices giving the legal name and last legal residence of the deceased.  I believe this is a holdover from before the internet and databases when the only way to disseminate this information was in a newspaper   I can tell you from personal experience, large credit card companies have employees on the payroll who comb these notices.  There is no such thing as too soon for debt collectors.

How do they expect to collect debts from the deceased?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, DangerousMinds said:

They take it away from the estate depending on the different local laws.  Some debts are discharged upon death like student loans and some medical bills.  I know in the case of my father the credit card company was willing to settle for a specific amount, but once my mother agreed it became legally binding.  My dad's estate was open for a specific period of time where the creditors had to come forward with a claim and then it is adjudicated by lawyers and the court.  Once the estate is closed, then they cannot approach the family.  My mom had to reopen the estate a couple of years later after finding out my dad had stocks sitting in an account we did not know about, but luckily no other creditor came forward.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

From the estate of the deceased. Any debts have to be paid before the estate is settled. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Do we know who found Mary in the pool?  That will probably haunt whoever found her forever. 

I worry about a friend of mine who has a new pool and who also has diabetes and has suffered at least two blackouts due to low blood sugar. If that should happen while she is in or near the pool the same thing could happen to her. Her daughter lives with her, but also travels for work. My friend could be in the pool for days if that should happen....

I personally think it was Jabbie or one of the howlers. My reasoning behind that is because every other married Duggar plus Jana has posted something except Joseph and Kendra and John David and Abbie. J&K aren’t really frequent Instagram users to begin with, plus it’s been confirmed where they live with baby Garrett; Mary’s old cabin behind the TTH. Jabbie, on the other hand posts every couple of weeks and hasn’t posted anything about the tragedy. As big as the house is that Grandma Mary was living, I wouldn’t be surprised if they lived together, with the added benefit of Abbie, LPN to watch over grandma after her strokes and all.  If it wasn’t Jabbie, then it was probably a howler who went to go pick her up to bring her back to the TTH for dinner or something. In any case, I highly doubt that whoever found her is going to get adequate therapy to reconcile what they witnessed; if the way they treated traumatic events in the past is any indication I’m sure they’re going to treat any resulting feelings with “prayer” or somewhere like that awful Reformers Unanimous place like they sent Smuggar.

In regards to the obit, I wonder what’s with the absence of the spouses? When I wrote my mom’s, my husband and my sister’s wife’s first names were put in parentheses after ours. It’s glaring to me that Michelle is not mentioned at all. 

Edited by ChaChaSlide
Edited for correction to JoKen house— thanks Temperance
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, ChaChaSlide said:

I personally think it was Jabbie or one of the howlers. My reasoning behind that is because every other married Duggar plus Jana has posted something except Joseph and Kendra and John David and Abbie. J&K aren’t really frequent Instagram users to begin with, plus it’s been confirmed where they live with baby Garrett; IIRC it’s not in Springdale/Tonitown. Jabbie, on the other hand posts every couple of weeks and hasn’t posted anything about the tragedy. As big as the house is that Grandma Mary was living, I wouldn’t be surprised if they lived together, with the added benefit of Abbie, LPN to watch over grandma after her strokes and all.  If it wasn’t Jabbie, then it was probably a howler who went to go pick her up to bring her back to the TTH for dinner or something. In any case, I highly doubt that whoever found her is going to get adequate therapy to reconcile what they witnessed; if the way they treated traumatic events in the past is any indication I’m sure they’re going to treat any resulting feelings with “prayer” or somewhere like that awful Reformers Unanimous place like they sent Smuggar.

In regards to the obit, I wonder what’s with the absence of the spouses? When I wrote my mom’s, my husband and my sister’s wife’s first names were put in parentheses after ours. It’s glaring to me that Michelle is not mentioned at all. 

Jabbie hasn't posted anything since Mother's Day. My guess is that they're trying to hide her "bump". 

Last I heard JoKen lived in a cabin behind the TTH. 

• Useful 3
11 minutes ago, ChaChaSlide said:

That is a pretty glaring omission leaving Michelle out. That was one more "Duggar" they could have stuffed into the obituary.  I can see listing out all of the great-grandkids names but they could have grouped them by family instead of listing each of them in chronological order and include the lastnames.  

• Love 6