Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

He really does seem to be losing it...I don't do twitter, so don't follow him other than the things posted here, but he's got to know that there are not only virtually no positive comments but a whole lot of people actively having no idea WTF he is even going on about. And to answer all the comments on his needing to get a job with this latest...words fail me. Is he really...really, honestly trying to say that there is no need to work when Jesus will provide? I mean, sure, there is still at least some sort of TLC money coming in at the moment, and he may feel secure for the immediate future, but can someone with a degree in economics really lay their entire life's plan on God's providence when it is clear to anyone who looks around them that some of the most sincere Christians out there are so often in dire financial straits? Or is he simply willing to let his family suffer if he thinks it is Jesus' will for them, and somehow instrumental in a better afterlife? 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Mya said:

The layout of the kitchen and dining room look like  a possible apartment layout to me.  Do we know where they actually moved to?

It's also the layout of my kitchen/dining room, and I have a house. It's a common layout where you have a galley kitchen, which is frequently true of apartments but also of smaller homes.

If this is an apartment it's a relatively nice one. That carpet looks new, and those are solid-surface countertops in the kitchen.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

Wow! That is one sexy song. I need a refreshing, frosty drink! 

Yes, Despacito is one sexy song.  I also found Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee to be "Hubba-hubba".  It's quite naughty.   Not sure how it was "approved" music for an evangelical gathering. 

The video was filmed in the barrio of LaPerla, most of which was destroyed by Maria. You can see from YouTube that there's no seawall protection.  It's not a place anyone should go on their own, but they were doing guided tours there due to the popularity of the song and video. Almost 4 billion views. Derick's interpretive dancing skills wouldn't draw 4 people to YouTube.

Perhaps the sensual nature of Puerto Rican music stirred Derelict's loins up and he just couldn't handle it.

• Love 8

I'm wondering if Derick really understands how he comes off on Twitter. Does he think he comes off as a deep believer of Christianity? Because from my perspective he comes of as a guy who is having trouble making life work for him and the only comfort he can find is throwing judgement at others. Misery loves company.

KJV has a verse to counter Derick's last post: 

In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury. Proverbs 14:23 

• Love 20
7 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I think Derick is losing his mind because he hates his life.

I mean, the guy thought he was getting a wife who shared his heart for missions and was capable of being a relatively equal partner. Instead he got Jill. Jill, who can't go an entire 8-hour workday without seeing him. Jill, who couldn't even dream of meeting the educational requirements for an actual missionary position. Jill, who was so afraid of Danger America that curtain rods made her cry. Jill, who seemingly can't watch two kids (or one kid!) without help from her family/friends/Spanish teacher.  

When you think about it, Derick's new job smacks of being an attempt to relive his college years vicariously through actual college students. He's never going to get what he really wants, which is an actual position as a missionary in a foreign country, because Jill can't hack it. So instead, he takes a job that reminds him of the fun he could have pre-Jill. He attends conferences with girls in short shorts. He goes to parties with dancing to pop music and probably even an adult beverage or two being served. Meanwhile, he knows Jill is at home fuming because he's doing all these things that she was taught were ungodly, and because she's insecure and is probably actually worried about losing him to some sophomore Jezebel who doesn't have stretch marks and a 21-member family who is always there like a millstone around Derick's neck. He's escaping his life and passive-aggressively sticking it to his wife, who he resents deeply, at the same time. Perfect!

This all sounds very harsh toward Jill. Honestly, though, I feel sorry for her. She's not to blame for the deficits in her education or coping skills. That's all due to Jim Bob and Michelle's terrible, terrible parenting. And when you look at it from her point of view, her situation must seem so unfair. She's done everything expected of her, followed all the rules, and probably expected to be rewarded by a happy life. Instead she gets scary births, ongoing dependence (financial and otherwise) on her family, and a husband who resents her for being herself. That's gotta suck. 

I agree with everything you've said. I cannot imagine how stage 5 clinger Jill feels when Derrick goes off and hangs out with college kids. He's having a midlife crisis and he's not even 30!

Derrick is probably having tons of fun at his new "job" and it reminds him the choices he could've made had he not chosen to court Jill. Jill knows this as well. Unlike Jinger who knows Jeremy had sex with other women but is like "whatever he married me", Jill is drought with jealousy that Derrick is relieving his heathen days where he kissed women that weren't her. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, ginger90 said:

That's insulting to people who manage to be both faithful and hold down a job to provide for their family. 

Derick doesn't want to accept that to do what he wants to do - missionary, minister to college kids, whatever - it takes hard work, perhaps even real sacrifice (and by that I don't mean not being glued to your family 24/7) to achieve his goal. Stop being a lazy jerk, buckle down and get it done, or STFU. (My preference is the latter, obviously). 

• Love 17
7 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I mean, the guy thought he was getting a wife who shared his heart for missions and was capable of being a relatively equal partner. Instead he got Jill. Jill, who can't go an entire 8-hour workday without seeing him. Jill, who couldn't even dream of meeting the educational requirements for an actual missionary position. Jill, who was so afraid of Danger America that curtain rods made her cry. Jill, who seemingly can't watch two kids (or one kid!) without help from her family/friends/Spanish teacher.  

When you think about it, Derick's new job smacks of being an attempt to relive his college years vicariously through actual college students. He's never going to get what he really wants, which is an actual position as a missionary in a foreign country, because Jill can't hack it. So instead, he takes a job that reminds him of the fun he could have pre-Jill. He attends conferences with girls in short shorts. He goes to parties with dancing to pop music and probably even an adult beverage or two being served. Meanwhile, he knows Jill is at home fuming because he's doing all these things that she was taught were ungodly, and because she's insecure and is probably actually worried about losing him to some sophomore Jezebel who doesn't have stretch marks and a 21-member family who is always there like a millstone around Derick's neck. He's escaping his life and passive-aggressively sticking it to his wife, who he resents deeply, at the same time. Perfect!

This all sounds very harsh toward Jill. Honestly, though, I feel sorry for her. She's not to blame for the deficits in her education or coping skills. That's all due to Jim Bob and Michelle's terrible, terrible parenting. And when you look at it from her point of view, her situation must seem so unfair. She's done everything expected of her, followed all the rules, and probably expected to be rewarded by a happy life. Instead she gets scary births, ongoing dependence (financial and otherwise) on her family, and a husband who resents her for being herself. That's gotta suck. 

I agree that Derick is unhappy with his life and his wife, and is running back to happier times. But his lack of maturity astounds me. If Jill pulled the plug on his aspirations as a foreign missionary, why not become one here in the good old USA? There are plenty of underprivileged areas in the US, some that are right in Arkansas.  As I've said before, Derick does not have the initiative nor coping skills of his own. For a guy to take off for what amounts to nothing more than summer camp and leave his wife and children at home speaks volumes. Oh, and isn't there a saying that God helps those who help themselves? I guess he never read that one.

• Love 18

I wonder if Jill even realizes that she may be unhappy or depressed. Her whole childhood was spent repressing every emotion, hell she wasn't even allowed to be upset about being molested. Now her adult life is turning out to be a carbon copy of Michelle's life, except I think Jim Bob is more in love with Michelle than Derrick is in love with Jill. She doesn't seem to get any enjoyment out of any aspect of her life, but I'm not sure any of the Duggar children or kidults do.

• Love 13

For Derick:  Partying with college students and doing this rather fake "ministry program" is not work.  Thess 3:10 ESV:

For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Beth64 said:

Maybe he actually means Job and not job? lol 

That's what I thought. The Book of Job really irritates me because here you have God hanging out with His favorite fallen angel, the one He truly loved but who got away, making bets against some poor guy's life. God really comes off looking like a real jerk. So does Derick.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20171008-205050.jpg

I think he means a job. Since he's replying to someone who keeps telling him to get one.  I also think everyone here should use this to get out of whatever we don't want to do.  Eat junk food, healthy eating cannot save you, only Jesus, etc.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I think he means a job. Since he's replying to someone who keeps telling him to get one.  I also think everyone here should use this to get out of whatever we don't want to do.  Eat junk food, healthy eating cannot save you, only Jesus, etc.

A job might not be able to save him, but it sure comes in handy for food, clothing and shelter here on earth.  Derick seems to feel that having a job will get in the way of his salvation.  I don't think Jesus is going too look to favorably on a guy who doesn't make any effort to support his wife and kids and that is far more likely to get in the way of his salvation than actual employment.

• Love 18
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm wondering if Derick really understands how he comes off on Twitter. Does he think he comes off as a deep believer of Christianity? Because from my perspective he comes of as a guy who is having trouble making life work for him and the only comfort he can find is throwing judgement at others. Misery loves company.

I have a feeling that Derick, as well as every other Duggar and Duggar adjacent, thinks he/she's coming across as a deep believer in all their social-media (and other media -- such as TV) comments. I can't see any other reason why there'd be the endless decade-plus-long flood of ostentatiously Christian pronouncements of all kinds coming out of them so consistently, including in children's birthday wishes. I'd bet that because they make up a crowd who does this, that allows them all to see themselves as part of some active ministry. And that the fact that they have "fans" reinforces their feeling that they're "ministering." 

It's an effective way of allowing the ones who feel shaky -- looking at you, Derick -- to deny their insecurities and confusions, I suppose. I expect when you have all that aggressive "faith," insecurities and confusions are even more frightening to you than they are to the rest of us. So just keep the feeling going that you're part of some great ministry that speaks the truth to crowds and you can ignore your fears.

I see how something like that worked out for JB and M, since they've made it to middle age still reaping some financial rewards and positive fame (in some circles, anyway) for doing this. But if the TLC gravy train ever does end, a lot of the younger generation is going to hit a wall when the truth of their situations overcomes the self-delusion they engage in with all the preaching.

Derick looks likely to be the first real crash of that nature, but if TLC ever pulls the plug I'm sure others will have crashes of their own. At this point, I expect they're pretty much all in denial about how much they depend on that very chancy TLC money, fame and sense that they're really somebody in the crusade to bring the world back to true Christianity -- and what it would actually take to replace all that stuff, tangible and intangible, that they get from being on the TeeVee. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Not originally but now that she is on her own any deficits are truly her own.  She COULD have been using these last few years actually learning something.  God doesn't slap a book out of your hand or blind you if you are trying to learn math.  Its that ole not intellectually curious thing.  So if she is a dumbshit forever, its because she chooses to be a dumbshit (or anyone who is learning averse, not just Jill).  Can't blame her parents forever.

• Love 16
12 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Yes, Despacito is one sexy song.  I also found Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee to be "Hubba-hubba".  It's quite naughty.   Not sure how it was "approved" music for an evangelical gathering. 

The video was filmed in the barrio of LaPerla, most of which was destroyed by Maria. You can see from YouTube that there's no seawall protection.  It's not a place anyone should go on their own, but they were doing guided tours there due to the popularity of the song and video. Almost 4 billion views. Derick's interpretive dancing skills wouldn't draw 4 people to YouTube.

Perhaps the sensual nature of Puerto Rican music stirred Derelict's loins up and he just couldn't handle it.

Isn’t there some sort of depressing (for lyricists anyway) statistic about how few people actually listen to the words of songs?  And those are songs in English, generally.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Nysha said:

I wonder if Jill even realizes that she may be unhappy or depressed. Her whole childhood was spent repressing every emotion, hell she wasn't even allowed to be upset about being molested. Now her adult life is turning out to be a carbon copy of Michelle's life, except I think Jim Bob is more in love with Michelle than Derrick is in love with Jill. She doesn't seem to get any enjoyment out of any aspect of her life, but I'm not sure any of the Duggar children or kidults do.

I've obviously put WAY too much thought into this (I'm at home stressing about a potentially career-ending injury) but I think of the married Duggars, Josh and Jill are the only two who are really unhappy. I think Joe and Jinger are actually happy, at least for now, and that Joy and Jessa are content. 

The unmarried adults are a mix. I think JD is content, and for all the talk of slavery and Cinderella Jana seems to be reasonably content as well. Josiah strikes me as deeply unhappy and even a bit angry, which might explain the breakup of his courtship with Marjorie and his failure to enter into another one. The rest of the older boys all kind of blend together for me, TBH. As to the younger kids, I think it's a bit early to tell how their temperaments will turn out.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

He's escaping his life and passive-aggressively sticking it to his wife, who he resents deeply, at the same time. Perfect!

I used to think that Jessa and Ben would be the first Duggar couple to divorce (I could see her kicking him to the curb, but not until after the TV cameras went away, the TLC paychecks dried up and she had no more use for him). But they seem to have created a workable relationship with each other and they appear to jog through their days together amiably enough that they might end up going the distance.  Now I think it might well be Jill and Derrick who break up and that it will be Derrick who ends it (Jill will cling like a barnacle until he finally scrapes her off). But, again, it won't happen as long as they have the safety net of the TV show (both the money and the adulation of their fans) to cushion them from reality. Or, possibly, they will work out some kind of arrangement where they stay married and Derrick goes off to Nepal or Danger America to be a missionary and Jill remains in Arkansas with the kids, with Derrick returning for a short visit once or twice a year for the sake of appearances. Jill wouldn't like that, but she might accept it if the only alternative would be the scandal of a divorce. She could spin it as a big sacrifice she was making for Jesus; the leghumpers would swallow that hook, line and sinker. And she could go back to being Daddy's little girl again while her sisters raise her kids for her.

• Love 12

I agree Jill would be more than happy to send Derick packing on a permanent mission trip so she could move back into the girls' dorm and dump the boys on Jana. It's pretty obvious Jill can't function outside the comfort zone of the TTH. JB and Michelle wouldn't mind either, since it would bring a J'Slave back into the fold to pick up the slack. Jill is much better at being a Daughter Slave than she ever was at being a wife and mother.

• Love 16
7 hours ago, bythelake said:

I agree that Derick is unhappy with his life and his wife, and is running back to happier times. But his lack of maturity astounds me. If Jill pulled the plug on his aspirations as a foreign missionary, why not become one here in the good old USA? There are plenty of underprivileged areas in the US, some that are right in Arkansas.  As I've said before, Derick does not have the initiative nor coping skills of his own. For a guy to take off for what amounts to nothing more than summer camp and leave his wife and children at home speaks volumes. Oh, and isn't there a saying that God helps those who help themselves? I guess he never read that one.

Sure. My comment wasn't meant to excuse his behavior. He married Jill and chose to have kids with her. And to be fair to Jill, I don't think she ever pretended to be anything she wasn't during their courtship. The problem, of course, is that a Duggar-style courtship doesn't allow a couple to get to know each other at all. In many ways, someone who has "courted" his or her spouse marrying a complete stranger. If they had more interaction, I think Derrick would have figured out that Jill's idea of mission work was the vacations she grew up with, not an actual long-term stint as a missionary. He would also have figured out that her personality wasn't consistent with long-term mission work either.

• Love 7

I'm on the fence with the theory that Jill & Derick aren't happy in their marriage. I know that I wouldn't be happy in their marriage but I think they might actually enjoy the exact things that drive most of us crazy.

I think Derick feels strong and important with Jill's clinginess and Jill admires Derick's loud and proud devotion to their beliefs. I think the fact that DA didn't work out disappointed them both but I'm not sure they have any real insight into why it didn't work.

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Jill pretended she truly had plans to work as a midwife, when in reality she has no useful skills at all.

I think at the time, she really did think she'd be able to act as a midwife during the yearly 10-day "missions" she thought they were going to go on. She did finish her training, after all. I can't imagine she would have bothered with that once she was married and knocked up unless she thought she would need it someday.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm on the fence with the theory that Jill & Derick aren't happy in their marriage. I know that I wouldn't be happy in their marriage but I think they might actually enjoy the exact things that drive most of us crazy.

I think Derick feels strong and important with Jill's clinginess and Jill admires Derick's loud and proud devotion to their beliefs. I think the fact that DA didn't work out disappointed them both but I'm not sure they have any real insight into why it didn't work.

I lean towards this as well. I think they're unhappy people but are happy together, if that makes sense. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

Isn’t there some sort of depressing (for lyricists anyway) statistic about how few people actually listen to the words of songs?  And those are songs in English, generally.

Not that long ago, this hit song titled "Mi Niña" was THE father/daughter dance at weddings and quinceñeras. The chorus of the song sounds like it could be a man singing about his daughter and his hopes for her future daughter, but when you listen to the whole song it's actually some lecherous old coot mourning the fact that he's too old for the girl he desires. A piece of my soul would die every time I had to witness a f/d dance to that song. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Jill pretended she truly had plans to work as a midwife, when in reality she has no useful skills at all.

A few years ago I took a 1 semester medical assistance course at my local community college, for fun. I received a certificate so I think Jill and I have the same amount of medical knowledge. I used to have medical thingies too but never pretended to be a nurse and use them on sick people.

• Love 8

I was watching a program about the Depression the other day.  There were lines around the block at the soup kitchens and people desperate for work.  I didn't see anyone openly waiting for Jesus to hand them a cup of coffee and a bowl of soup.

So is Dwerp going to move in with Miss Kathy when the TLC money dries up and sit outside and wait for Jesus to hand him a couple twenties? 

Dwerp is a privileged, entitled lazy little shit.  If he hadn't sucked up to JB and found a Duggar girl, he would be filling out forms for food stamps and living in a slum somewhere because he is too good to work like the rest of us.  And probably dragging a wife and a couple of kids with him.  And why did he go to college in the first place if he had no intention of working a J. O B.?

Missionary didn't work out?  Married someone you hardly knew and are surprised it's not working out?  Stuck with two kids?  Waiting for Jesus to fix it for you?  Well aren't you just the most special little snowflake that ever lived.   

He reminds me of Linus in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin.  Linus believed if he had the most sincere pumpkin patch then he would see the Great Pumpkin.  If Dwerp just picks the very bestest Bible versus and points out the errors of our ways to the rest of us sinners, Jesus will surely visit his little pumpkin patch.  That seems to be his life plan.  Spoiler alert:  It didn't work out very well for Linus.  

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Nooooooooooo!!! Please do not compare Dwerp to my beloved Linus. Yes, there was no Great Pumpkin, but Linus has a sweet dream and is a lot smarter than all the Duggars put together. Linus for the win!!!

I didn't mean to diss Linus.  Linus for the win with me too.  

5 minutes ago, Triple P said:

Someone made their Twitter handle "Get a job Derick"

https://twitter.com/derick4Him/status/917042689148899328

I'm not sure I know what this particular tweet is supposed to mean, BUT the comments are wonderful.  

• Love 3

@toodles  I was teasing! I love the Peanuts cartoon/characters, and Snoopy is my favorite cartoon dog of all times. Even Garfield with all of his lazy ways works harder than Dwerp, and is more funny and a lot more clever than any of the Duggars. Yes, I do chuckle at some of the comments being made about Dwerp also.

6 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

@toodles  I was teasing! I love the Peanuts cartoon/characters, and Snoopy is my favorite cartoon dog of all times. Even Garfield with all of his lazy ways works harder than Dwerp, and is more funny and a lot more clever than any of the Duggars. Yes, I do chuckle at some of the comments being made about Dwerp also.

I know you were.  

It's a slow day at work and I'm spending more time than usual on these forums.  Unlike Dwerp, I have a J.OB.  Jesus didn't visit me today and tell me to go home and put my feet up, the bills were covered this month.  Sucks to be me, I guess.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 4

I am waiting for the phone company tech to come in the next hour *crossing fingers* I guess us rural heathens have to wait for service help. I should have just pray for the land line phone and internet service to correct themselves. I guess the devil is trying to tell me something.

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Derick enjoys the clinginess.  He feels like a big man.

Jill is nuts enough to not see how nuts Derick looks to everyone else; she sees a Twitter warrior for God!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think that this is an interesting perspective. I still think that there are significant problems in the marriage, but I think you're right about a couple of things:

I didn't grow up in a cult, and I simply don't have the perspective to look at their relationship from the same vantage that they do. What I see as unhappiness could simply be my projection of what I would feel in their situation.

I can easily see Derick (at least sometimes) enjoying Jill's dependence on him and Jill admiring his over-the-top nonsensicle Jesus ranting.

I do, though, see things that make me think there's trouble. Jill goes through periods where she posts overly-positive, Jesus-related things about Derick. These are straight out of Gothard marrige-counseling. "I'm so lucky to have a Godly husband!" "All you women out there who are married to Godly men shouldn't complain about the small stuff." Their actual, physical life makes me think that there is an underlying tension between Derick's desire to be a missionary and Jill's desire to hand around the TTH. The change from taking classes to get and advanced degree to become a missionary to becoming an SOS "missionary" and the constant flitting back and forth between DA and Arkansas makes me think that there is simply a disconnect between them in what they want out of life.

• Love 8

I think the already crazy amped up when Cathy survived cancer. Yay, whooo, whatever. Do you know how many people I’ve seen NOT survive terminal illnesses? It pisses me the fuck off when these people claim to have some inside track to god and a cure. Religious/saved people die everyday. 

I’m sorry, but it’s arrogant and selfish. Cathy retweets the likes of huckabee and company daily. “God” forbid one of you actually dies. 

• Love 20
8 hours ago, queenanne said:

I remember seeing an interview with Barry Manilow once, where he expressed surprise at how many couples chose "Looks Like We Made It" as their wedding song.  IIRC, the song is actually about two people who broke up and then found love with others.

• Love 14