Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think it was just the lunches -- but I don't think they helped, either.

* Derick's mother was a VP at WalMart, so I think he got a job -- that a lot of other young people would have been thrilled to get -- without much effort on his part

* He took TONS of time off: the wedding and honeymoon, his mother's illness, and the birth of his son probably required more time off than a first year employee would receive, but I would imagine that he was cut a lot of slack on that.

* What I don't think they liked was all the time off for trips to NYC, and for filming.

* I doubt that it was a big deal that Jill showed up there EVERY DAY for lunch, but that also didn't do much to make him popular -- I doubt he developed any kind of friendships with co-workers.

* I also wouldn't be surprised if there were meetings or projects that another first year accountant would have stayed late or missed lunch to finish, that Derick bailed on for lunch or a ride home with his wife.

I don't know that any of that was fireable, and I don't know that he was fired, but if he worked for me, I'd have been glad to see him go.

I don't know if he was fired, but I would believe he was encouraged to quit. I worked retail for 20 years, I know spouses, kids, and friends show up and call, sometimes on a regular basis, but Jill took it to a whole new level. I'm guessing there were multiple calls a day to him too. Just got home safe, what ate you doing?, I'm leaving now, I'm home now, what are you doing?, and another I'm leaving now. He had no real work experience, so if he was basically told he could really think if he wanted to work there, he would have easily decided to leave. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

"It's okay for me to talk out of my head/ass when referring to things I neither know/understand.  You should always/sometimes/never follow someone just because he/she/they said so.  Do you like this tweet?  Yes/No/Sorta.  Also I just discovered this cool new key on my keyboard //////////////  Think"

That's how I read it.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

There's nothing wrong with the message, it's the hypocrite posting it that makes us roll our eyes...

The message is fine, but he goes on to say "We shouldn't trust our own minds and hearts".  Does that mean we shouldn't think for ourselves? We shouldn't let our heart lead us to love? No wonder he can't get a job and has the clinger as a wife. He's delusional, but the twitter comments are pure gold.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I think #2 is the main reason. Jilly wasn't used to being alone, ever. I remember I just about threw something at the tv when she said she commuted an hour or something like that to pick him up every day. 

Maybe i'm waaaaay off base about this...but isn't a HUGE advantage to having a stay-at-home partner the fact that they DON'T have to deal with working long hours and commuting, and can focus that time on getting dinner ready instead? I can't tell you how many times I walk in the door starving, wishing I could get started on dinner earlier. It sucks to work all day and then spend 30 minutes preparing something, while waiting an hour for it to cook. There aren't that many evening hours anyway, and now you've wasted a couple! Instead of wasting, say, 4-6 picking Derrick up, she could make and cook an entire healthy dinner at that time, and Derrick could walk in the house and eat right away. It must suck to have to wait that late to get started on dinner when one of you could literally stay home and make it! That has always made zero sense to me. 

And THIS is the reason I spend 2-3 hours cooking ALL of my meals for the week on Sunday. I work full time + (my graphic design business, in an office, not at home) and Husband works 50 hours a week as a mechanic. This way, we come home, dinner is made, in the fridge. I have been doing this little trick for years, best thing ever. I have breakfasts, lunches and dinners made.

• Love 21
5 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

And THIS is the reason I spend 2-3 hours cooking ALL of my meals for the week on Sunday. I work full time + (my graphic design business, in an office, not at home) and Husband works 50 hours a week as a mechanic. This way, we come home, dinner is made, in the fridge. I have been doing this little trick for years, best thing ever. I have breakfasts, lunches and dinners made.

I've been doing that for lunch, but I've been thinking about doing that for dinner as well.

• Love 3

At this point I think Derrick has one of those eight balls from the 1960's that when you turn it over, it gives you a message & he's posting it. Either that or he's reading fortune cookies on his & Jill's "date night" and posting that.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I think he fears blow jobs.

Wouldn't you if you were a dude and saw those big old horse teeth coming at your smalls?  Remembering the awkward wedding kiss and the interpretive dance routine in all their glorious awkwardness, I'm quite certain this experiment would not end well.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

I am beyond impressed that you're able to prepare a week's worth of meals, three meals a day, in only 2-3 hours!  You've got it down to a science!

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I am beyond impressed that you're able to prepare a week's worth of meals, three meals a day, in only 2-3 hours!  You've got it down to a science!

Yes, please be impressed. Proud of myself! I have it totally down to a science. Husband is not allowed in the kitchen. He is allowed to wash dishes ... After I am done cooking. We have it down pat. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

I've been doing that for lunch, but I've been thinking about doing that for dinner as well.

1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Best habit ever!

I wish I could do that!  I have tried it over the years, but my headship and I end up not feeling like whatever I prepared on Sunday.....  So it ends up as wasted food.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think there's anything especially wrong with this tweet. In fact, only in Duggar-world would this incredibly banal though be worth posting.

In fact, I can see this post being directed at Jill, or some other Duggar, who is upset with him for not toeing the party line.

I think that's giving him too much credit.

I really don't see anything "crazy" or "unhinged" about Derick's tweets.

He's a young man of, at best, modest intelligence with little, or no, experience outside of the fundy universe. Like Ben and Jeremy, he may read, but he reads nothing that is not religious in nature and fundie-approved. NW Arkansas, and the U of Oklahoma are overwhelmingly fundie. He exists in a self-perpetuating feedback loop.

He has no concept of the more secular world that most of us inhabit, and what little he knows about it comes from fundie sources. He's been trained to be fearful of the secular world -- maybe not as much as the Duggars, but much more than most of us.

He's blithering nonsense -- the sort of partially formed thoughts and "deep" platitudes that people bore each other with as college freshmen. The difference is that 1) He's a grown man and should have grown out of it and 2) he has a broader platform than most college freshmen.

I don't think there is anything mentally wrong with him, and it's really a disservice to those with actual illnesses to imply that there is. He's a simple-minded, incurious bigot, and he will never get far enough outside of the fundie universe to get any clue about how narrow-minded and bigoted he actually is.

• Love 17
20 minutes ago, Lunera said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/derick4Him/status/912052923017830400

Derick is applauding the 2 people from Oklahoma who stood for the anthem. It's like the point of the protest is over his head. He's on Twitter enough to know that trump basically attacked NFL players with with very unchristian-like language. 

Yeah, but anybody who approvingly quotes John Bolton as Der did the other day is probably going to go with Trumpian views or at least massively conservative politics, generally. I'm sure the Duggar hive is all in on that, anyway. And Der's seldom an independent thinker. Probably the vast majority of the Christian bigwigs he and the other Duggar adjacents keep sucking up to are all-in with DJT's unchristian language here. They usually have been, thoughout. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

Two words - Instant Pot, greatest kitchen invention ever. 

OMG me too!  I have 3 of them and it's just me and Mr lookeyloo. Son across town has one and we are planning to do one of those boot camp things. I'm in charge of gathering recipes. Do you belong to the Instant Pot Facebook group?   I guess the Dillards could use one but it would be too much work for them. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

That sounds like a great meal & life plan. 

Meanwhile, the lazy married Duggar girls prefer to wake up at noon, put on makeup, do their hair, do selfies, & go out on a dinner "date" with a gift card sent to them by one of the leghummpers & complain how hard life is.  Sometimes they will post about how persecuted they are.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

He's a young man of, at best, modest intelligence with little, or no, experience outside of the fundy universe. Like Ben and Jeremy, he may read, but he reads nothing that is not religious in nature and fundie-approved. NW Arkansas, and the U of Oklahoma are overwhelmingly fundie. He exists in a self-perpetuating feedback loop.

He has no concept of the more secular world that most of us inhabit, and what little he knows about it comes from fundie sources. He's been trained to be fearful of the secular world -- maybe not as much as the Duggars, but much more than most of us.

He's blithering nonsense -- the sort of partially formed thoughts and "deep" platitudes that people bore each other with as college freshmen. The difference is that 1) He's a grown man and should have grown out of it and 2) he has a broadeIn r platform than most college freshmen.

I don't think there is anything mentally wrong with him, and it's really a disservice to those with actual illnesses to imply that there is. He's a simple-minded, incurious bigot, and he will never get far enough outside of the fundie universe to get any clue about how narrow-minded and bigoted he actually is.

In and of themselves, and coming from within the circle you describe, I'd agree, but the thing is that as much as it might have been overwhelmingly fundie, Der HAS been to a regular University, and, as far as we know (?) was not exclusively homeschooled. He's GOT to have some other, at least somewhat secular influences in there somewhere. Look at his brother...he seems to have become a bit more "Christian" over the past couple of years than he was before, but is still reasonably mainstream. Der's just ditched them all, seemingly, in favor of the Gothard world. And it's really hard to fathom someone with a couple of functional brain cells and any inkling of an outside world opting for that...

• Love 7

I only ask this because the Duggars seem so insular that I'm not sure what news they actually read... is it possible that Derick genuinely doesn't know about the various shootings by police and what taking the knee is about? 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

He's blithering nonsense -- the sort of partially formed thoughts and "deep" platitudes that people bore each other with as college freshmen. The difference is that 1) He's a grown man and should have grown out of it and 2) he has a broader platform than most college freshmen.

I agree that Derick probably does not have a diagnosable mental illness. But as @Jynnan tonnix said, he has gone to college and lived there for four years. His dad was a cop and his mom works outside the home. Derick wasn't raised in a vacuum like the Duggars. He has had opportunities to develop critical thinking skills that the Duggars have not.

There definitely is some kind of party going on in Derick's head and maybe its in the context of Fundydom and martyrdom. He reads the negative responses to his Tweets. I'm guessing these aren't the same responses he gets when he evangelizes face to face. What I don't get is, if he really wanted to "show folks the way" why he doesn't do it in a more cohesive and kind way. His Tweets feel angry, judgmental, disorganized and as you said, narrow minded.

• Love 18

I don't know why, but this latest tweet spurred me to respond and I never tweet!  He's such a judgmental jerk.  I really do wish he was so busy with a job and two small children, that he didn't have time to scold everyone else.  That's not what I said, but I probably should have!

• Love 11

Derick attended Oklahoma State University, not University of Oklahoma, but either way, both schools are public universities and are not fundie, although there may be Christian groups. A "fundie" school would be something like Liberty University.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, monkeypox said:

He supports Trump and his attack on black athletes. Derick opposes a peaceful protest against unjustified police killings of African-Americans. Seems racist to me.

Yep. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I've never seen any indication that he or any of the other Duggars hate people because of the color of their skin.

I seem to recall Josh posting a racist "joke" picture of the White House disparaging President Obama. Josh also tweeted something to the effect that Obama only became our President because he was black, so I kind of doubt it's something the kids were disciplined for.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I only ask this because the Duggars seem so insular that I'm not sure what news they actually read... is it possible that Derick genuinely doesn't know about the various shootings by police and what taking the knee is about? 

I think deep down inside, Derrick has to be smart enough to know that he has white privelege, but I think it's also possible that Derrick and the Duggars only get their news from Fox News, Alex Jones, etc and therefore he thinks something completely crazy like by kneeling during the anthem, the players are supporting the Black Panthers (which he sees as a scary threat as white guy) and BLM activists who have gotten violent and out of control (according to how conservative media portrays them, I'm not saying BLM activists are like that at all...but that's probably the only way Derrick has seen them protrayed in the media he sees).  That's not an excuse - if Derrick (who has a college degree and even if he was an accounting major, should have taken a couple of social sciences and liberal arts classes that challenged him to look at his sources of info and look critically) but I can totally see Derrick only knowing right-wing talking points...add in a touch of crazy and lack of filter which Derrick suffers from...and bam...these tweets!

My answer to Derrick is this: If you are so upset by people not standing up for the anthem because you're soooo patriotic and you think this is offensive to the veterans you soooo love, then JOIN THE MILITARY. You're still young enough. Put your money where your twitter mouth is. Prove you are so patriotic. (Bonus: You'll likely get to live across the world for some period of time & you can be away from your crazy in-laws. PS Across the world may mean warzone, though, but I know you are so patritoic that you're cool with it.)   This goes for any of his in-laws, too. Use all that you learned at ALERT and go put it to good use in the military defending Jesus's beloved USA. 

(My dad is a retired military officer who served in Vietnam and I.just.cannot. with people who claim to be so patriotic and call others out for being disrespectful and non-patriotic yet none of them or their immediate family have served in the military.)  /rant over

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 24
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't know, I think "racist" is a pretty serious label to pin on somebody. Derick is shortsighted and judgmental, but I've never seen any indication that he or any of the other Duggars hate people because of the color of their skin.

Although Ben has a long way to go, I think we can agree that he approaches racial issues very differently from Derick.

• Love 16

@MyPeopleAreNordic, I want to like your post 100 times.  Mr. Xword is a Vietnam vet, and when he sees a soldier in uniform, he makes a point of telling her/him thank you for your service.  Please thank your dad.  

I'd love to hear one of these sanctimonious fundies' excuses for not enlisting.  I'd especially like to hear it from Derrick.  But, of course, he never will.

3 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Although Ben has a long way to go, I think we can agree that he approaches racial issues very differently from Derick.

I really hope so.  Derrick pisses me off to no end.  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

@MyPeopleAreNordic, I want to like your post 100 times.  Mr. Xword is a Vietnam vet, and when he sees a soldier in uniform, he makes a point of telling her/him thank you for your service.  Please thank your dad.  

I'd love to hear one of these sanctimonious fundies' excuses for not enlisting.  I'd especially like to hear it from Derrick.  But, of course, he never will.

I'd love to hear that from Derick. I'm THISCLOSE to signing up for my own Twitter account just so I can get that motherfucker to block me. I've spent the last few days reading through his tweets and I'm getting psychotic.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Derrick needs to be introduced to the phrase "check your privilege." 

He'd respond with some BS about how he couldn't be privileged because he didn't grow up rich or something. It's like they have a script.

4 hours ago, monkeypox said:

I wonder if Derick's racism is something Jim Bob overlooked, or was an asset when he chose him for Jill?

I think they're all on the same page. It's probably not something they even discuss in detail except for the buzzwords like "patriotism."  Ben has started to stray a tiny bit, but if his friendship with Flame ends/he decides he no longer likes rap, he'll slide right back.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I hashtagged my tweet with that phrase. I agree that he probably has no concept of white privilege. 

I think I found it. :D That's it, you inspired me, signing up for Twitter tonight for the express purpose of responding to Derick4him's tweets. Watch for me. I'll be Aja4her. *evil cackle*

• Love 22
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree that Derick probably does not have a diagnosable mental illness. But as @Jynnan tonnix said, he has gone to college and lived there for four years. His dad was a cop and his mom works outside the home. Derick wasn't raised in a vacuum like the Duggars. He has had opportunities to develop critical thinking skills that the Duggars have not.

There definitely is some kind of party going on in Derick's head and maybe its in the context of Fundydom and martyrdom. He reads the negative responses to his Tweets. I'm guessing these aren't the same responses he gets when he evangelizes face to face. What I don't get is, if he really wanted to "show folks the way" why he doesn't do it in a more cohesive and kind way. His Tweets feel angry, judgmental, disorganized and as you said, narrow minded.

It's not a kind religion he's preaching, though. It's sinners in the hands of an angry God. 

The preachers he and the rest of the Dugg adjacents  -- and, in fact, the preachers on which America was first built -- said nothing kind. Their efforts at conversion were only that, unless you're born again -- AND lucky enough to be chosen by God, in the case of some of them -- you're going down to hell and you deserve it. It was condemnation. That's the model they follow. These are the Pilgrim fathers of our nation. If this is who you follow -- and they all do -- it would never cross your mind to say anything kind to the unsaved, I don't think. That, in their view, would be doing the unsaved a grave disservice

Here's Mr. Jonathan Edwards himself, revered throughout our history by many as one of the founding moral fathers of our nation -- And if he were alive today, he'd probably be tweeting this! So when we say, Christianity is supposed to be kind! he and Der, Jer and Bin -- and Gothard and his followers -- say we're nuts. 

"The bow of God’s wrath is bent, and the arrow made ready on the string, and justice bends the arrow at your heart, and strains the bow, and it is nothing but the mere pleasure of God, and that of an angry God, without any promise or obligation at all, that keeps the arrow one moment from being made drunk with your blood. Thus all you that never passed under a great change of heart, by the mighty power of the Spirit of God upon your souls; all you that were never born again, and made new creatures, and raised from being dead in sin, to a state of new, and before altogether unexperienced light and life, are in the hands of an angry God. However you may have reformed your life in many things, and may have had religious affections, and may keep up a form of religion in your families and closets, and in the house of God, it is nothing but his mere pleasure that keeps you from being this moment swallowed up in everlasting destruction. However unconvinced you may now be of the truth of what you hear, by and by you will be fully convinced of it. Those that are gone from being in the like circumstances with you, see that it was so with them; for destruction came suddenly upon most of them; when they expected nothing of it, and while they were saying, Peace and safety: now they see, that those things on which they depended for peace and safety, were nothing but thin air and empty shadows.

"The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours. You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you were suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep."

2 hours ago, floridamom said:

So, Jill is a MINISTER'S wife now? I think DDD has a road ahead of him for that...heck, even Jeremy is ahead of him, Ben too, most likely. Jill lives in her happy, fantasy world.

It's what they all want, though .... And I expect they may think they have a fairly good shot because so many other young evangelicals are drifting away from this hard-line stuff. Whereas these guys are all about it (deliberately, for the sake of future jobs, I expect .. )

• Love 9