Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I could see Izzy looking like Anthony Michael Hall when he becomes a teenager.

It is a little strange that the idea of using Derick's name in the child's name didn't come to matriculation until the third son. You'd think that would have happened with Israel. But they were probably more fanatic about their religion then than they seem to be now.

• Love 6
(edited)

Really cute pics, the boys look like they're pretty happy being big brothers.  

The baby looked to have oxygen via nasal cannula and perhaps a feeding tube  when he was in the hospital.  NC is one of the lesser ways of giving oxygen to a baby, so he wasn't needing very much at the time the photo was taken. He had a tube in his mouth which is usually used to feed babies who aren't taking enough orally although they can also be used to suction fluids out of kids who have liquid in their airways.  At the time we saw it, the tube wasn't hooked up to any sort of nourishment, so we can't really say if it was used for feeding, but, it likely was.  He probably had a poor suck and maybe was a little jaundiced, both common with premature babies and they were giving him intermittent feedings to keep him hydrated until he got better at nursing.

Looking back at the photos of Sam's birth, I think he required much more support than Frederick did.

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 7
  • Love 4

Using the father’s name for a third child does not surprise me. My uncle has an unique name I’ve never encountered. For some reason they did not have a junior until their third son.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, SMama said:

Using the father’s name for a third child does not surprise me. My uncle has an unique name I’ve never encountered. For some reason they did not have a junior until their third son.  

My dad was a junior, he was the third son. I guess back then it was custom to name the first and second son after the grandfathers because the oldest was named after his paternal grandfather and the second son after his maternal grandfather. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

My dad was a junior, he was the third son. I guess back then it was custom to name the first and second son after the grandfathers because the oldest was named after his paternal grandfather and the second son after his maternal grandfather. 

Yes in many naming cultures, it's not unusual to follow this pattern, so the third son is the one who gets named after the dad.

Of course, Jill and Derick aren't following a traditional naming scheme and I doubt they'll ever have a little Jim Bob, but I think a lot of times people don't always have the most logical of decisions on this, especially when it coming to honor names.

One of my grandpa's brother's decided to give both of his sons my grandfather's middle name as their middle name. So, both boys have the middle name Dean, like my grandpa. My grandfather and my grandmother still find it privately bewildering his brother did that twice. LOL 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

My dad was a first son, and was named for his father--first and middle names.  Unfortunately, my grandfather did not like his first name (but named his son that same name) and went by his middle name.  My dad was known by his initials in the family his whole life, but used his middle name regularly (luckily this middle name was a good one!). My dad's brother was named for both of his grandfathers.  Unfortunately for him, they were both terrible names.  He was called by his first name in the family (sadly, the worst of the two bad names), and made a shortened version to use in public.  I doubt that anyone outside of the family and the Navy ever knew him by his real name as an adult--and certainly not his first and middle names.  My dad getting his father's first and middle name worked out for him, but I always felt kind of sad for my uncle.  And he was such  a nice--and funny--man.  I miss them both.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

When it comes to names there is no pleasing everyone. I named my older son after my grandpa. A normal name. I got such negative comments about not a name for a baby. He is a man now. Loves his name.  I like to think how schools and work will deal with an unusual name. My cousin’s grandson is “Dizzy”. Not a nickname. He will most likely get teased.  I wonder if Israel will get teased about his name. I doubt Sam or Freddy will.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

I think we obsess over the name they chose because we're getting so little info about the Dillards. I don't blame them for keeping things more private, but I'm curious as to how it's going day to day with the little one, the new house, signing the kids up for their new school, etc. I know we won't hear details about Derick's new job, but it would be nice to hear about the hours, how the baby is sleeping, etc. 

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I think we obsess over the name they chose because we're getting so little info about the Dillards. I don't blame them for keeping things more private, but I'm curious as to how it's going day to day with the little one, the new house, signing the kids up for their new school, etc. I know we won't hear details about Derick's new job, but it would be nice to hear about the hours, how the baby is sleeping, etc. 

They just got their access back to IG. I suspect we'll get more updates now.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
43 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

When it comes to names there is no pleasing everyone. I named my older son after my grandpa. A normal name. I got such negative comments about not a name for a baby. He is a man now. Loves his name.  I like to think how schools and work will deal with an unusual name. My cousin’s grandson is “Dizzy”. Not a nickname. He will most likely get teased.  I wonder if Israel will get teased about his name. I doubt Sam or Freddy will.  

I think most kids get teased about their name. I know I did. Most of the time I just wished they were have been more creative. I mean really, you think asking a Bonnie where Clyde is or singing " My Bonnie lies over the ocean " is unique?

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I think most kids get teased about their name. I know I did. Most of the time I just wished they were have been more creative. I mean really, you think asking a Bonnie where Clyde is or singing " My Bonnie lies over the ocean " is unique?

My sister was horribly bullied abt her name.  She was Denise, but kids in elementary school called her “Diseases”.  But when my brother changed his name legally at 11 (he was adopted by our step-father), and went from “Eddie” to “Keith”, none of his friends batted an eye.

If Izzy’s going to be bullied abt his name, I would think it would be now.  But he lives in the South.  People will get more accepting of names w/religious undertones.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

My sister was horribly bullied abt her name.  She was Denise, but kids in elementary school called her “Diseases”.  But when my brother changed his name legally at 11 (he was adopted by our step-father), and went from “Eddie” to “Keith”, none of his friends batted an eye.

If Izzy’s going to be bullied abt his name, I would think it would be now.  But he lives in the South.  People will get more accepting of names w/religious undertones.

I don't think second graders would even understand the implications behind Izzy's name. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Do folks still name shame? We've come a long way from everyone being named John, James, Michael, Mary, Linda and Susan, so 'different' names stood out.

I would think Israel and Sam be going to school with Braydens, Liams Caydens, Bellas, Avas and, yup, Madisons. It seems to me all names are 'different' in this day and age and I'm not counting the Apples and Psalms.

• Love 10
(edited)
On 7/23/2022 at 11:59 AM, Zella said:

One of my grandpa's brother's decided to give both of his sons my grandfather's middle name as their middle name. So, both boys have the middle name Dean, like my grandpa. My grandfather and my grandmother still find it privately bewildering his brother did that twice. LOL 

I did this as well.  My first and second born were both sons.   They both have my husband's middle name, which is a family name, as their middle name.  I wanted them both to have it.  If my extended family disliked this, they kept it to themselves.  My sons are now both over 30 and it never caused a problem.  

Edited by ranchgirl
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, ranchgirl said:

I did this as well.  My first and second born were both sons.   They both have my husband's middle name, which is a family name, as their middle name.  I wanted them both to have it.  If my extended family disliked this, they kept it to themselves.  My sons are now both over 30 and it never caused a problem.  

I think it's less weird when it's the husband's name rather than the uncle. My dad ended up with my grandpa's first name as a middle name. He was spared Dean. LOL (No offense to the Deans of the world, but my grandfather has never liked his middle name, which I think also made it weird to him that his brother used it twice on his kids.) 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
31 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Do folks still name shame? We've come a long way from everyone being named John, James, Michael, Mary, Linda and Susan, so 'different' names stood out.

I would think Israel and Sam be going to school with Braydens, Liams Caydens, Bellas, Avas and, yup, Madisons. It seems to me all names are 'different' in this day and age and I'm not counting the Apples and Psalms.

Lots of different names and creative spellings.  Jill's kids would have pretty boring names in our local schools.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

kids made fun of my name right up through high school.  I always hated my name (still don't like it, but I'm 40 now and don't have the energy to fuss about it anymore) and there is a whole level of guilt involved with resenting your name when you are named after your dead grandmother.

Do we know WHY the Dillards got blocked by Instagram?  It's so weird.  

Edited by ouinason
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, ranchgirl said:

My nephew did this as well.  We are now on the 5th generation of using this as a middle name.

The SF Giants have a player named Wilmer Flores.  His father was Wilmer, and ALL the sons have the first name Wilmer.  They all go by nicknames.  Apparently, the youngest goes by the Spanish term for "little one".    He is 6'4" and weights 240.

George Foreman named all his sons George.

I had a child in school who was from Viet Nam.  Her name was Lahn.  Her sisters were Lanh and Lan.  I know they all sound different in Vietnamese,  and are all different names, but to my ear they all sounded the same.  Very confusing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, beagletime said:

Israel is quite common as a first name in Latin America.  Where we live I know several men and boys named Israel.  

Our maintenance guy at work is Israel. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, beagletime said:

Lots of different names and creative spellings.  Jill's kids would have pretty boring names in our local schools.  

Yeah, in a world full of Jackson, Jaxon, Jaxyn, Jackxon, Jaxson, Jaxxon, Jaxsen(all spellings I've encountered over the years), Jill's kids will be fine. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There's nothing like a newborn to make young kids look all grown up. The pics with Izzy holding Fred are priceless.

Yes that’s true. It is very cute. They grow so quickly and it’s a big “aww” moment to see them when they are that little. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
On 7/23/2022 at 9:59 AM, Zella said:

My dad did this and it still kind of hurts my feelings, 52 years later. I was given his mom's nickname (Lynne) as a middle name. 7 years later he had a new wife and a new daughter and gave her my middle name because "You weren't in my life much and I wanted my daughter to have my favorite name." Nice thing to say to a 7 yo who had to go live with her dad when her mom had a nervous breakdown. 

On 7/24/2022 at 8:15 AM, roamyn said:

My sister was horribly bullied abt her name.  She was Denise, but kids in elementary school called her “Diseases”.

My brothers and their friends called me Denise the Beast all through grade school. 

I don't think Israel's name is going to stand out in school. Although his name is #240 for 2015, the top 100 has everything from John to Xavier to Jayden to Angel. 

• Hugs 23
On 7/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, beagletime said:

Israel is quite common as a first name in Latin America.  Where we live I know several men and boys named Israel.  

Same here. I'm in the Southwest and nobody would bat an eye at "Israel." Geographical names are pretty common these days, so I don't see Izzy having a particularly rough time at school.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

656AF98F-E984-4390-9BD4-9E373EFB9419.jpeg

261ABEB6-B8DC-43D4-9AC1-267B0A03CB1D.jpeg

Jill looks tired (not a judgment, any parent with a newborn would be tired!) but so happy. The boys seem very interested in their little brother. These are sweet memories.

• Like 1
  • Love 22
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jill looks tired (not a judgment, any parent with a newborn would be tired!) but so happy. The boys seem very interested in their little brother. These are sweet memories.

I agree that she looks very happy, and that makes me sad. I had really hoped that Jill had found some peace with her little family and wasn't going to go back to her earlier plans for a mega-brood. I hope that I'm overreacting . . .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I agree that she looks very happy, and that makes me sad. I had really hoped that Jill had found some peace with her little family and wasn't going to go back to her earlier plans for a mega-brood. I hope that I'm overreacting . . .

There is a five year gap between Sam and Freddy, that does not look like they are pursuing a mega-brood. 

• Like 10
  • Love 11
30 minutes ago, SMama said:

There is a five year gap between Sam and Freddy, that does not look like they are pursuing a mega-brood. 

She took a break while Derek was in law school. She was pregnant immediately after he graduated and had a miscarriage. I wish that I could believe that she doesn't plan to spend the next 10-15 years pregnant, but I can't.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Didn't Jill and Derick admit to using birth control a couple of years ago? Some form of natural family planning and possibly condoms.  I remember us discussing Jill's erroneous views on The Pill--it works by preventing implantation.  I think we also might have joked about Derick being Spongeworthy.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I think that Derick graduating at around the same time that Sam is set to start school made them think that this would be a good time to have another child.  And I don't think that they are wrong about that.  Jill has seemed to be in a better place since Israel started school, so I'm happy for her to make this choice for herself if that's what happened.  Though Derick doesn't seem the sort to demand she have another child.

• Like 3
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I agree Jill looks tired here but I also think she looks beautiful. She looks better here, I think, partly because she is not trying too hard, as she often is in her more "influencer" posts. She looks like she is in exactly the space she wants to be in at this moment.

48 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Just because Jill looks very happy with her new son (and I agree, she does); I don't think we can make the leap that she now has decided to rev up the birthing machine and have a herd of kids.  It seems to me that she has found a lot of satisfaction in being mom to her first two and that she wants the opportunity to be a hands-on mom to Freddie and any others that might come along which is not possible if she has a passel of kids.  I don't think Jill would be satisfied handing her kids off to the older ones like her mother did and I think that will affect the number of kids she plans to have.  I think the last few years have taught Jill to step back and take a look at the way she was raised and decide what she wants to keep and what she doesn't and she seems very happy to be a big presence in their lives.

It also doesn't hurt that she married a guy who was one of 2 kids and whose parents seem to have been pretty hands on and involved in their upbringing.  I don't think Derick wants a bunch more either.

I agree, based on what I have read and seen of Jill and Derick's discussions of their feelings on kids. I think Jill has actually done some work to think about who she is and how she was raised and how she wants to raise her kids.

• Like 6
  • Love 11
39 minutes ago, jcbrown said:
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I agree Jill looks tired here but I also think she looks beautiful. She looks better here, I think, partly because she is not trying too hard, as she often is in her more "influencer" posts. She looks like she is in exactly the space she wants to be in at this moment.

It also helps that her hair is pulled back. That blonde hair overpowers her and washes her color out. The dark roots give some color to her face. 

• Like 2
  • Love 9