Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It would be schools, plural, if they sent Sammy to Kinder this year. The Siloam Springs schools are grouped in two grade increments, starting with PK/K. 

Maybe a district request?  I have no idea but I could see that happening.   I just really, really hope that at least Iz is in school.  I'm wondering if they would opt for a private Christian school, who really would not like the publicity.  (Nothing at all against private schools.  We have some great ones around here.). I have thought in the past that Jill posted way, way too much private business about her kids.  J and D actually do not owe the public any information about them or their kids.  (I know---Happy Mail.  But I live in hope for the privacy of the kids.)

• Like 3

Telling a parent they can't put their child on non-school related social media these days is the best way for that school to get a call from the local ACLU.  

Schools have some rules about who can post what, but it's generally restricted to teachers, employees and students themselves. 

Parents?  Anybody REALLY think a lawyer is going to let the school tell him what he can or can't post about his kids, when his taxes pay for for the schools in their district? 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

We don't have any confirmation about where Izzy is in school. Jill has been dodging queries.

The fact she’s dodging queries is concerning. If there’s nothing to hide a simple yes he’s attending school will suffice.

• Love 17

whether the boys are going to school or being home schooled, it was opportunity missed to not show a pic of them with the chalkboards blocking their faces saying "First Day of Second Grade" and "First Day of Kindergarten"

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

My gut feeling is that they aren't in school. Jill is pretty responsive on Insta regarding things. If she's dodging questions re: school then I don't think they're currently enrolled and that's depressing, because Israel was obviously an intelligent child who thrived in a real school environment.

• Sad 16
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My gut feeling is that they aren't in school. Jill is pretty responsive on Insta regarding things. If she's dodging questions re: school then I don't think they're currently enrolled and that's depressing, because Israel was obviously an intelligent child who thrived in a real school environment.

I tend to agree. Her silence speaks volumes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
  • Love 1

I don’t blame them for not saying one way or the other. Even if they said yes he’s in school, it would be easy to narrow down where he’s at public or private.

I don’t like these people, but would never interfere IRL. However there’s some over zealous haters on Reddit who make it their mission to dox, and even take it further. Most of the people on the Reddit sub are lovely people, but there are a few that have take up the mantle to interfere IRL at every opportunity. I absolutely would not say where my kids were at if I was her.

• Like 7
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5

The Dillards announced they were moving, Derick updated his LinkedIn profile and they show the kids at swimming lessons. They also show celebratory pics of their kids. These aren't even bread crumbs, they're signs saying go this way, turn here and X marks the spot.

I'm not saying its easy for them to navigate, but they choose to be "public figures" and they choose to post about their kids. This one foot face in and one foot face out, obviously isn't the solution.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

If I had to guess, maybe Jill found the move and the newborn baby incredibly isolating and wanted to keep Izzy and Sam home to keep her company. I really hope I'm wrong because Izzy was so obviously loving school. I remember how much pride he took in doing math problems.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

I'm not sure why this idea is getting so much traction.

Jill just had a baby and two surgeries. She has a newborn at home, and historically has had a rough time with caring for a newborn.

They just moved and Derick has a new job and is out of the house all day, every day. That's going to be an adjustment for her -- maybe not as big an adjustment as when he was at WalMart, but an adjustment.

I just don't see this as the time that Jill decides to start homeschooling. If she had been homeschooling, then it would probably be easier for her to just sit Izzy and Sam in front of some DVDs and toss them some workbooks, but Izzy is used to school and it would be another big adjustment for him. Sam has probably been looking forward to going to school like his big brother, and is probably feeling some jealousy over the new baby, and it would be difficult to settle him into a homeschooling routine.

If they were homeschooling, it would probably be something they had talked about and planned and Jill would have posted stuff about different curriculums, etc. She's posted tons of stuff about the move, the new house, etc. I don't think she'd suddenly go silent about this.

I don't even think that Jill has finally gotten a clue that plastering her kids and their schedule all over social media is a bad idea, I think she's just overwhelmed and doesn't have time for all of the posts she's done in the past. Plus, Derick is getting a paycheck now, and they may not need that extra click-cash to get by.

Edited by cmr2014
  • Like 11
  • Applause 6
  • Love 3

I assume Izzy likes school because most kids that age do, but I only remember maybe a half dozen posts and pictures about Izzy and school over the last two school years. I also remember Izzy missed the last week of school last year when they moved. Maybe he liked school, maybe he hated it, or maybe school was just school.

I totally (lol) agree Jill not posting a headless first day of school pic and not answering posters doesn't bode well, but I think there's an equal chance this is Jill's skewed way of being internet safe.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I assume Izzy likes school because most kids that age do, but I only remember maybe a half dozen posts and pictures about Izzy and school over the last two school years. I also remember Izzy missed the last week of school last year when they moved. Maybe he liked school, maybe he hated it, or maybe school was just school.

I totally (lol) agree Jill not posting a headless first day of school pic and not answering posters doesn't bode well, but I think there's an equal chance this is Jill's skewed way of being internet safe.

There were more IG stories about Izzy and school. He really seemed to love it. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

There were more IG stories about Izzy and school. He really seemed to love it. 

I wouldn't claim to see all of Jill's posts, but I think I catch most of them. I'm sure she wasn't posting about Izzy and his school weekly, or even monthly. I'll also add that a kid standing for a picture doesn't necessarily show their feelings. I think there were at least a couple of posts of the boys smiling at the dentist, but that doesn't mean they beg to go back. There have been pictures of the boys watching sermons on the laptop, again I'm not going to assume they beg to sit around and watch a sermon on Sunday morning. And even though Jill actually said her boys like rap, I'm going to guess they have no idea what it is.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Jill must be feeling better, her stories have her shopping at Pottershouse with Amy and Deanna who is pictured holding a sleeping Freddy. Today she added a story of her and Derick running errands and says that the older boys are with Amy.  Amy had in her stories the boys playing at her house and seeing a blimp. One thing good thing you can say about Amy is she really wants Dax to have lots of play fun. Now Jills boys will want stair slide and a million toys. Oh and they are watching a giant TV. Wonder if the Dillards have gotten a real TV yet.  About the school thing, who knows. I really cannot imagine her wanting to homeschool and Derick is pro education.  Given his job they need to keep details about their lives private. That has to be hard for Jill.  She has posted about some places they have been but it is after the fact.  Unlike Jinger and Jana, Jill always seemed to like being on the show and in public life.  So being less public has to have been a big adjustment for her even though it is the best for her and their family. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

What is it about Derrick's job that requires extra privacy? 

He's a prosecutor.  Presumably, some of those he prosecutes might decide to bother him or his family if they could find them.  It's become pretty common for people working in the criminal justice system, especially in prosecution, to try to minimize their family's social media presence, presumably because some have been targeted with threats or worse.

• Like 15
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Yes, Derick needs to keep a low profile, personally. He is part of a local district attorneys' office. My former husband prosecuted 25 of 30 years of his career. We had protections in place in the community in which we lived to protect him, our children and myself. Jill needs to make some changes to accommodate Derick and his office. I hope she adjusts well to all that has happened lately. I hope her boys are attending school, public OR private. Israel seemed to love it. I think Sammy would love it too.

• Like 6
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, Notabug said:

He's a prosecutor.  Presumably, some of those he prosecutes might decide to bother him or his family if they could find them.  It's become pretty common for people working in the criminal justice system, especially in prosecution, to try to minimize their family's social media presence, presumably because some have been targeted with threats or worse.

Oh. I had know idea he was actually doing cases. I figured he was clerking.

It’s good that Israel and Sam get to play with kids that are not part of the Duggar 19 ignorance bubble. Jill will eventually mingle with the other spouses in Derick’s office. Baby steps.

Jill had a story while shopping with Amy and Deanna. I honestly thought I heard Israel say to Amy “my mom wants to show you something.”  The IG story was still up and Amy answers him. Maybe it was after school. 

Edited by SMama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I know I’m repeating myself……It is so easy to find out so many things about people online. If they truly think going with not posting the boys faces makes them “safe”,  they’re nuts. As I said previously they posted them on their blog when the baby was born. 

They obviously can’t go back in time, but the internet sure does. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh. I had know idea he was actually doing cases. I figured he was clerking.

I was reading too fast and saw this as Derrick twerking. Stopped me in my tracks to imagine the horror and hilarity that would ensue from that.

My uncle was a DA back in the 70s but gave it up when he got tired of the threats aimed at him and his family.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 4
57 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I know I’m repeating myself……It is so easy to find out so many things about people online. If they truly think going with not posting the boys faces makes them “safe”,  they’re nuts. As I said previously they posted them on their blog when the baby was born. 

They obviously can’t go back in time, but the internet sure does. 

Right, look at all the people who post about JillRod's address, Nurie's house for sale, etc and they have *addresses*.  Not just Reddit, either, it's on their sub here.  "I can't post their exact address but you can search for...."  ---- isn't that basically posting the address?  It's a wild time out on the innerwebz. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

There's internet safety and there's respecting your kids' privacy. I'm not sure which one Jill is trying to achieve, but she's failing on both fronts. 

Internet safety is about not posting about your vacation, when you're on vacation, not posting identifiers like your address, where you work, daily habits, local outings, not posting pictures of your kids' school(s) and sports teams and activities like dance schools and swimming lessons or library visits.

Respecting your kids' privacy is about not posting their pictures, not posting their daily activities, not posting funny stories about them, not posting medical issues, basically not leaving an electronic baby book/scrap book, including a family blog.

So really for privacy and safety, a parent's electronic footprint should be about them and not about their kids. Easier said than done for a mom with young kids. Easier said than done for a family who is already plastered over the internet. But its not too late to start. And if it is that important to the Dillards then they can go private. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I think Jill is really stuck here.  I suspect a LOT of their income in the past has come from her social media postings, most (nearly all) of which involve the kids.  However, now she's suddenly in a position where Derwood is (hopefully) making enough money to support them, and where she really needs to NOT let people know pretty much anything like what she's been posting to support the family all these years.  She's be smarter to just go completely radio silent (except for whatever family is still talking to her), but I don't think she can do that mentally.  So she's suddenly cutting off heads and not saying if the kids are in school and such, which isn't really satisfying anyone, including (I suspect) herself.  

• Like 1
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Fosca said:

I think Jill is really stuck here.  I suspect a LOT of their income in the past has come from her social media postings, most (nearly all) of which involve the kids.  However, now she's suddenly in a position where Derwood is (hopefully) making enough money to support them, and where she really needs to NOT let people know pretty much anything like what she's been posting to support the family all these years.  She's be smarter to just go completely radio silent (except for whatever family is still talking to her), but I don't think she can do that mentally.  So she's suddenly cutting off heads and not saying if the kids are in school and such, which isn't really satisfying anyone, including (I suspect) herself.  

Totally agree with this post, except I think they were living off Jill's pay-out from JB.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/25/2022 at 8:54 AM, Fosca said:

I think Jill is really stuck here.  I suspect a LOT of their income in the past has come from her social media postings, most (nearly all) of which involve the kids.  

Yeah - after they left the show, I think their only income was from her social media postings until Derrick started doing Doordash.  

I'm also guessing that he's not making all that much money now, given that he's working for the state and they have three kids. So Jill might still feel that she needs to do the social media thing, if only to give them more of a financial cushion.

12 hours ago, awaken said:

Maybe it was actually taken on the weekend.

I thought she’d get a lot of comments about feet on the counter. 

You mean like "It's disgusting" and "They allow their children to behave like animals"?

Done.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Jill giving Jinger a shout out for the kids charcuterie they are having a picnic with soup. https://www.instagram.com/p/CjJWFPEBcg6/  She also has story of the family at the HS homecoming parade. They seem to be making an effort to be involved in their new town. Wait, it is in Stilwell, that is where Derick works not where they live, right. They went to a HS football game earlier this season. They also went to a festival there right before they moved.  Wonder why they are more being more involved in the town he works rather than the one they live in. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
22 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

Wonder why they are more being more involved in the town he works rather than the one they live in. 

Maybe Derick wants to be noticed by his new bosses and hopes to stand out when promotion time rolls around. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

Jill giving Jinger a shout out for the kids charcuterie they are having a picnic with soup. https://www.instagram.com/p/CjJWFPEBcg6/  She also has story of the family at the HS homecoming parade. They seem to be making an effort to be involved in their new town. Wait, it is in Stilwell, that is where Derick works not where they live, right. They went to a HS football game earlier this season. They also went to a festival there right before they moved.  Wonder why they are more being more involved in the town he works rather than the one they live in. 

Maybe the work town has more festivals/activities than their home town.

• Like 5
  • Love 8

It wouldn't surprise me if Derick was advised it was advantageous to try to be active in the community in his new role. That's certainly true with the lawyers in my small town--they are very much joiners for for nonprofit and civic organization boards. (I am not being dismissive toward them. I really appreciate all the local lawyers I know who spend time helping with these things.) I'd think with Derick living in Siloam Springs, which is hardly next door, he might have fewer opportunities to mingle with people than if he lived in town and was out and about as a resident. He might also reason the more fun events, like games and festivals, that can double as family time are more efficient for him than staying late for a board meeting. (You probably network better with other professionals when you all trauma bond through board meetings, though. LOL) 

As for the library, Stilwell is apparently part of a regional library consortium in Eastern Oklahoma, so even if the library itself is small, it may have a wider pool of resources to pull from and varied enough for it to have different resources, collection items, and programs from the Siloam library. Where I live a lot of people have cards from multiple systems.

Edited by Zella
  • Like 4
  • Useful 7

Well I guess we can rule out keeping a low profile due to Derick's job. Not only did they look to be at the courthouse, but at one point they were sitting in the trunk of their van/suv.

I get maybe wanting a broader selection of library books as an adult, but I wouldn't think kids Izzy and Sam's age could read themselves through the kid section. At Sam's age my kids still had favorite books they would choose to read over and over.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

get maybe wanting a broader selection of library books as an adult, but I wouldn't think kids Izzy and Sam's age could read themselves through the kid section. At Sam's age my kids still had favorite books they would choose to read over and over.

Yeah to be honest, most of the parents I see who do this are often very proactive in finding lots of books themselves, usually for homeschooling, rather than doing it because the kids request that or are bored with the selection. But I have a hard time seeing any Duggar kid being that diligent in their research as a parent or reading to their children that much, homeschooling or not.

They may just be attending programs. I did see the Stilwell library has a maker program, which kind of surprised me. But I did wonder if, despite being small, they are punching above their weight programming wise with that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2