Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

im no culinary expert here but this really just looks like barf in a dish. 

It looks something I had when I ran to the bathroom with a bad case of the stomach bug.

Edited by bigskygirl
4 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Disregard above post quote.

The cheesy enchiladas may not be too bad without the sauce. (Not saying I would eat them )  I just cant get over the total 4 cups of cheese plus all the stuff to make it gloppy (sour cream, milk, FOUR cans cream of chicken soup total, etc) 

5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Disregard above post quote.

The cheesy enchiladas may not be too bad without the sauce. (Not saying I would eat them )  I just cant get over the total 4 cups of cheese plus all the stuff to make it gloppy (sour cream, milk, FOUR cans cream of chicken soup total, etc) 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

These are soggy yellow enchiladas, green enchiladas are made with green chilies and are very delicious.

This actually looks like another monstrosity she has posted.

Screenshot_20180803-112604.thumb.jpg.d905d6a4b4b57c22984297b79152b9de.jpgScreenshot_20180803-112513-456x837.jpg.28305a197734fefdeb971a8518eeec65.jpg

On what planet is that nutritious? 

1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

Many of Jill’s culinary creations remind me of something extracted by Dr. Pimple Popper...

The male flight attendant? 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

When you’re in a pinch and have a bunch of mouths to feed

And just happen to have 5 cups of leftover rice hanging around.  So, only good "in a pinch" in very limited circumstances.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

I’ve never seen green enchiladas. 

That is all.

Having visited my family in a border town, where they cook actual Mexican food, I can guarantee you that those are not proper enchiladas. Green or otherwise. And now I want enchiladas. Real ones. 

• Love 8

Jill posted this, so I’m putting it here.

Video:

Duggar Grandkid/Grandparents Photoshoot Video

Aug 3, 2018 | Family Blog, Photos | 1 

Around the time of each wedding, when the whole family comes together, we try to get a group family photo. Before Josiah and Lauren’s wedding, we did the same thing, but some of the girls had the idea to also take a Duggar grandkid/grandparents photo since there are so many now! It turned out to be quite hilarious just trying to get them all set up!

36C99BC3-430F-4291-966B-2F6758F5536F.jpeg

469FFE64-513F-4A1C-945A-28C858EA3156.jpeg

2791D144-ED9F-4B4D-9EAC-3129377884A3.jpeg

• Love 3

Little coincidence.  I'm reading one of my cooking magazines & came across recipe for "Farmers Market Enchiladas" made with fresh veggies.  This is the type of enchilada recipe Jill should be posting in the Summer. The food was plated perfectly - 2 of the enchiladas by themselves with a slice of lime for garnish.  Not the big old casserole pan with the gloppy mess inside.

• Love 9

I read her recipes and am amazed that the have no health problems related to sodium ( that we know of.)  My sisters ankles would swell up like balloons with that much sodium. She quickly learned what she can and cannot eat and very rarely uses cream of ... for short cuts especially since making the real thing usually doesn't take that long.

Jill should get a good cookbook, either Joy of C ooking, Betty Crocker, or even a cooking school series. Heck, she could even google her mother's recipes and I bet she'd find a healthier version. I would say subscribe to Taste of Home, but I don't think she'd have the cognizance to recob=gnize comfort food with daily healthful food.

• Love 6

Well, those burritos will be exiting the poo holes the same consistency and color as it went down their pie holes.

You probably could reassemble them and put in a casserole dish.

Jeremy and Jinge do better burritos as seen in past episodes...Jinge sautees onion, bell pepper and meat for their burritos(don't forget to grate cheese from the 10 pound block of cheese Jeremy insisted on buying over a year ago) not those gut busting flour tortillas filled with fat with fat, covered in fat with melted fat on top.....

• Love 7
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Well, those burritos will be exiting the poo holes the same consistency and color as it went down their pie holes.

You probably could reassemble them and put in a casserole dish.

Jeremy and Jinge do better burritos as seen in past episodes...Jinge sautees onion, bell pepper and meat for their burritos(don't forget to grate cheese from the 10 pound block of cheese Jeremy insisted on buying over a year ago) not those gut busting flour tortillas filled with fat with fat, covered in fat with melted fat on top.....

Freshly grated cheese tastes SO much better.  I bet Jill uses the waxy, $2 a pound shredded crap from Walmart that barely melts. And I bet it’s only cheddar.

• Love 1

So I noticed in the grandparents/grandkids photo that Izzy's standing by himself off to the side.  Not very far off to the side, admittedly, but noticeably a couple of steps away from the bench where everyone else is sitting.  I just feel so bad for that little guy!

• Love 7
13 hours ago, bythelake said:

Back in the Stone Age, one of the best gifts I received at my bridal shower was a Betty Crocker cookbook. It not only had clear,easy instructions but hints on what cut of meat was best. I was only 20, but had a working brain that enabled me to comprehend what I was reading.

Now, with websites like Food network, there is no excuse for Jill’s horrible recipes. It wouldn’t take much time on one of these sites to plan a healthy menu for the whole week. 

I wonder If Cathy has suggested any of Derick’s childhood favorites, or did she feed her boys the same crap that Jill makes? 

The sad thing is, I think Jill is really proud of her cooking “skillls”. What’s even worse is that she’s arrogant. Why else would she put these nausea -inducing concoctions out there for everyone to see?

Josh,JD and Joe all look older than their years with their middle aged paunches. Joy and some of the younger girls are overweight. Jill and Jessa have kept on the baby weight. They sit around doing nothing, dont work, don’t exercise, and eat fast food or home recipes that are no better than fast food. The whole bunch needs their cholesterol and BP monitored. They’re going to have serious health problems in the future.

To be fair, Jill, Jessa, Jana and Jinger look to be at healthy weights. I’m guessing the only way they stayed thin over the years was enforced portion control due to food scarcity. Even unhealthy food won’t make you fat if you only get a small serving of it. The younger girls, who grew up during the tv years and presumably got more food, do seem to be plumper. 

It’s so easy to cook healthily that it’s just sad to see this slop they eat. Making soup? Use low-sodium broth and add fresh or frozen veggies rather than canned. Making cornbread? Halve the sugar, leave out the creamed corn and substitute applesauce for half of the oil. I have six or seven go-to recipes that take less than half an hour to prep, and they’re all healthy. 

I do think she knows her audience, though. Recipes like this are still popular with a certain demographic — middle-aged or older midwestern/southern women who make things like this for church suppers or big families. I’m pretty sure that’s the same demo that follows the Duggars, so there might be a method to her madness.  

Edited by mynextmistake
  • Love 6

My go-to cook book was the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book circa 1975.  The book with the red plaid cover.  I picked up a more recent edition when it was super cheap on Amazon a few years ago because it had updated recipes and new-fangled gadgets like microwaves.  But I find that I still go back to my old one when I want basic info like what temperature to roast that particular cut of meat, etc.  

The thing I don't understand about Jill's recipes (aside from what's already been mentioned here) is that she's almost always posting recipes that serve 20 when she's only cooking for 2 adults, a toddler and a baby.  They don't seem to be attending any potluck dinners where she needs to bring an industrial-sized pan of anything.  (And no, I wouldn't volunteer  to try her food if she did.) 

• Love 16
12 hours ago, Lunera said:

These are soggy yellow enchiladas, green enchiladas are made with green chilies and are very delicious.

Screenshot_20180803-112604.thumb.jpg.d905d6a4b4b57c22984297b79152b9de.jpgScreenshot_20180803-112513-456x837.jpg.28305a197734fefdeb971a8518eeec65.jpg

Puke ? . It looks all coagulated. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

The male flight attendant? 

I just had to see what you were talking about. That guy nearly filled up the kidney bowl!

Not a fan of beans now either. 

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Lunera said:

"ALMOST" all the food groups - ALMOST - Well technically he's right, if you go by the standard 5 they have three of them, grains, dairy and meat.  And the two that are missing?  Well that's not significant at all, just those pesky fruits and vegetables.  Actually just one food group missing if you want to stretch refried beans and the mushrooms from the soup into the "vegetable" category.  But even if they don't count it's not a big deal to leave out the fruit & veg; I mean those are the groups where you need the least servings per day right?  For pete's sake could she not have left at minimum a bagged salad dumped into a bowl and a side dish of grapes?  And Derick not only accepts it as a normal meal he praises it as sufficient and healthy and "almost" the whole food group chain.  Makes me wonder what Izzy and Sam will be taught about making a healthy meal (not that they'll be taught to cook it themselves, that's for the future wives or if Jill and Derrick go for it a future female "helper" daughter). I really feel bad for their futures.

• Love 3

Voeller Salad Dressing Recipe

Aug 4, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

The Voeller family visited my family many years ago and made many delicious, healthy dishes. The two eldest daughters created a cookbook several years ago (“From the Kitchen of Two Sisters”) with lots of their recipes. This is one we really love. It goes well on salads, potatoes, pasta and more!

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 C. light olive oil

3 T. Dijon mustard

2 T. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, tamari, or soy sauce

2 T. honey

2 T. lemon juice

1 T. thyme

1/2 t. pepper

Wisk or blend all ingredients and serve.

Note: Blending all ingredients in the blender helps them not separate quite as distinctly later, providing a better taste overall.

517C1082-68D1-4360-8592-B6F00A7FBE73.jpeg

• Love 2

Is it me or does a Tablespoon of thyme seem like an awful lot for a small jar of salad dressing? It's a pretty strong herb, even when you use the dried version. I'd think such a large quantity would completely overwhelm the other flavors. 

• Love 6

The pit rot on Derick's shirt is disgustingly gross. What's worse is that it's so normal they didn't even notice it before taking the photo or they did notice and didn't care. It's right up there with Mt Dirty Diapers.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The pit rot on Derick's shirt is disgustingly gross. What's worse is that it's so normal they didn't even notice it before taking the photo or they did notice and didn't care. It's right up there with Mt Dirty Diapers.

They don’t post quality pictures 9 times out of 10. They want to take a picture of X, and they see nothing else. It’s similar to the way they do life, now that I typed that.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Voeller Salad Dressing Recipe

Aug 4, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

The Voeller family visited my family many years ago and made many delicious, healthy dishes. The two eldest daughters created a cookbook several years ago (“From the Kitchen of Two Sisters”) with lots of their recipes. This is one we really love. It goes well on salads, potatoes, pasta and more!

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 C. light olive oil

3 T. Dijon mustard

2 T. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, tamari, or soy sauce

2 T. honey

2 T. lemon juice

1 T. thyme

1/2 t. pepper

Wisk or blend all ingredients and serve.

Note: Blending all ingredients in the blender helps them not separate quite as distinctly later, providing a better taste overall.

517C1082-68D1-4360-8592-B6F00A7FBE73.jpeg

Maybe if we add Wisk to it it will taste better. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

At least the diapers can be thrown in the trash.  Well, maybe Derick can be tossed in with it too. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I agree they eat horribly but I don’t think Joy or any of the younger girls are overweight at all. Joy’s baby isn’t even a year old, she’s petite, chesty and dresses horribly- she probably looks far bigger (on camera) than she is. And even from her on camera appearance she isn’t overweight.

The younger girls (besides Josie) are going through various stages of puberty and growth spurts- a tummy or pudge before a growth spirt doesn’t make a child overweight. Not all kids are sticks.  Jill and Jessa look relatively slim to me- yes I know the entire country is getting bigger but none of the girls are outside of normal weight limits to my eyes even if we look at what was “normal” 50yrs ago. 

The boys on the other hand look sickly- I think it’s a combination of balding, bad diet and unhappiness (happy people tend to look more attractive). 

Maybe they stay so slim cause the food is so disgusting?! If I had to eat that I’d be a size 4. 

I agree, I was shocked to read someone thought Joy was overweight.

• Love 10

Joy isn't overweight. She has to lose a little in her abdomen post c-section, but that's normal. She's also quite busty and doesn't know how to dress for them, aside from the ever-present infinity scarf to try and hide them. The scarf just makes her look bigger. 

Poor child had even less fashion sense than Jill, and that's saying something. 

• Love 21
48 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I agree, I was shocked to read someone thought Joy was overweight.

Speaking of weight and the sisters, am I the only one who remembers the episode when Boob, MEchelle and Jana all joined Weight Watchers?

I remember the episode in particular because Michelle was blabbing about how Jana wanted to lose weight, so she invited her to try WW, like MEchelle was a freakin meeting leader or something. Oh my God, can you even imagine?!?!

It was at the same time that Boob was trying to drop some major pounds via WW as well. I was shocked that Boob joined a program that does allow for flexibility, but portion size is key! The poster child for instant gratification, I think he lasted a few days before he gave up. 

Jana clearly steers far away from what’s served daily at the TTH. It looks like she’s lost even more weight as she’s gotten older, plus her non-stop GoGo Gadget projects probably keep her metabolism steady. I thought she looked fine to begin with, but if she’s happier weighing less, who am I to judge? (I can still judge her because she doesn’t know the word “dilute” though!) 

I swear it was in the same episode that I recall hearing MEchelle say that WW was her “go to plan” to lose weight after she delivered her *blessing(s). I kept hoping WW would sue the D-bags for bad publicity, but they didn’t. 

*The Sinner Twin, Jeremiah, is so handsome!

• Love 4
17 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Hey, Jill, there's a word called "emulsify." Look it up. It's one more syllable than "ba - che - lor's" but one less than "per - pen - di - cu - lar." You might want to learn these terms if you are going to be doing things like, you know, posting lots of recipes and asking your readers to view them.

Why am I wasting my time? She can't even spell "whisk."

Edited by graefin
  • Love 16
On 8/3/2018 at 10:09 PM, libgirl2 said:

I always read that post of Derrick's as a passive agressive dig at Jill's cooking as well as her intelligence. He's being sarky as hell IMO but he's assuming it'll fly straight over Jill's head. It fits right in with the tweeting pattern he's established over the years; smug and offensive but always phrased so he can weasel himself out of it if called out. I'm sure he thinks he's being very clever.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Vaysh said:

I always read that post of Derrick's as a passive agressive dig at Jill's cooking as well as her intelligence. He's being sarky as hell IMO but he's assuming it'll fly straight over Jill's head. It fits right in with the tweeting pattern he's established over the years; smug and offensive but always phrased so he can weasel himself out of it if called out. I'm sure he thinks he's being very clever.

I do feel for Jill that her husband is so mean to her. If he cared for her he would 1. Not want to have her embarrassed im public, 2. Keep his mouth shut if she made a fool of herself (defending her wouldn’t do her any favors) but MOCKING her?! That’s awful. 

• Love 5