Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Figured I'd join in (a little late) and share the best oatmeal recipe I know - This is Amish Baked Oatmeal......but in our house it's Oatmeal Crack because it's completely addictive and healthy enough to be a decent breakfast yet "bad" enough that it tastes like you're eating dessert.  In fact we sometimes have it for dessert, it keeps great in the fridge for up to 5 days (but rarely lasts that long) and it's just as good re-heated with a little scoop of ice cream or dollop of whipped cream on top as it is re-heated in the morning with a little milk added.  

BAKED OATMEAL

Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees

2/3 Cup Oil

1 Cup Sugar

2 Eggs Beaten

4 Cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal

3 Tsp Baking Powder

1 Tsp Salt

1 1/2 Cups Milk

2 Apples Chopped

1 Tsp Cinnamon (or slightly more to taste, 2 Tsp works well too)

Mix the first three ingredients well.  Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.  Pour into a greased 8 x 8 cake pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Cut into 8 pieces and serve or let cool and store in refrigerator for up to five days.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

@ Natalie68 we have Nothing Bundt Cakes!!! The lemon and the red velvet are to die for especially the mini bundtlettes.

Not a fan o the Nothing brand. They taste like cake mix and overly sugary buttercreme. Make your own it's not that hard! I'm an excellent baker all it takes is a good recipe.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Not a fan o the Nothing brand. They taste like cake mix and overly sugary buttercreme. Make your own it's not that hard! I'm an excellent baker all it takes is a good recipe.

I don’t care to bake most things, with the exception of gingerbread and tea cakes.  But I’ll stand over a stove any day of the week and cook anyone under the table.  I bet you’ll never hear those words from Jill or Jessa. 

Izzy looks like maybe that picture was taken mid-tantrum.  It was probably a very long day for him, and he may have been over it.  Or wanting more candy or cookies and they said no.  With all the sweets at that reception I could see a kid going overboard.

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Jill looks normal here and John looks like JimBlob. 

Ugh, I have to pay Jill a compliment; she looks really cute in this picture. John and Abbie are my new favorite couple. He looks so darn happy. It took a while, but he finally came to life!

• Love 16

Sammy does look like's he's too big for the infant car seat as his legs are dangling over.  He's 1?

We stopped using the infant car seat with my son when he was around 6/7 months old (he was around 20lbs) as it was getting too heavy lugging him around in that thing.  If we are out somewhere then we just use our stroller which has the option for him to lay down in it to take a nap or have him sit up a little more upright.

• Love 3
(edited)

Jilly...look over your right shoulder... did you ever think JD would ever been grinning ear to ear like a fool just having a king smoothie with any woman?

You used to make Dreck that happy until you two got married as strangers, before the wheels started falling off your marriage and because you constantly disappoint each other.....

JD and Abadaba are mirroring each other's facial expressions...am sure they are already engaged... just waiting for TLC to give them the okay to announce it....

Wonder if TLC will do a Very Special Felicity Birth Episode as a stand alone show maybe as the preview to the next season?

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 2
(edited)

I wonder if the picture of Jill with the ladies from Cross Church is a part of her clothing transformation.  Most of the women seem to be wearing pants or jeans.  Perhaps this helped Jill to step away from the ankle length crappy skirts.

I also wonder if one of the reasons that they don't seem to be spending money on equipment like long lasting, good strollers, etc that they would continue to use for the rest of the hoards of their kids, is that maybe something did go wrong with Sammy's birth and there may not be a hoard coming.

Edited by DragonFaerie
  • Love 4

JD looks happy and I like the facial hair on him, like I do on Jer.

Abbie is very cute.  Jill does look nice without the open mouth and forehead wrinkles she often has.

It's hard to believe that someone as tall as Dillweed still has on pants that are too long.  Poor Izzy.  It's a shame he probably won't reach his potential.  Of course, that could be said about most of the kids.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I wonder if the picture of Jill with the ladies from Cross Church is a part of her clothing transformation.  Most of the women seem to be wearing pants or jeans.  Perhaps this helped Jill to step away from the ankle length crappy skirts.

They all do look nicely dressed. Who'd a thunk that Jilly Frump Muffin and friends would out-fashion Jessa.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

They all do look nicely dressed. Who'd a thunk that Jilly Frump Muffin and friends would out-fashion Jessa.

Wonder why no pictures of Jessa and Ben from the wedding. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 3

Jill looks so old in this picture compared to Abbie. Aren't they roughly the same age? Abbie is so fresh-faced, and Jill looks like she's been through a war. Contrast that to someone like Jessa who looks tired, as the parent of two toddlers, but happy with life. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Sammy is long and lean so he may not have surpassed the weight limit of his current carrier. Izzy is also pretty tall and may end up not even needing a booster seat by the time he's 5/6, unless the laws in AR are super strict about booster seats and age. I just checked some recent guidelines in my own state and they have booster seats as a necessity until age 10-12! If my parents had done that with my brothers and I we would have been scraping the ceiling! 

Same!  I was nearly my full height (5’9”) at age 12. And all my height is in my torso so I “sit tall.”

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

It may just be safer I stay out of that joint!  I am such a cake person that this sounds seriously dangerous.  Its a slippery slope from getting 1 to well, I think I am going to need all of them.  

I picked up a carrot cake for dh’s Bday and ended up eating a lemon bundtlette and three samples while I waited. ZOMG. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Sammy is long and lean so he may not have surpassed the weight limit of his current carrier. Izzy is also pretty tall and may end up not even needing a booster seat by the time he's 5/6, unless the laws in AR are super strict about booster seats and age. I just checked some recent guidelines in my own state and they have booster seats as a necessity until age 10-12! If my parents had done that with my brothers and I we would have been scraping the ceiling! 

Exactly. It's not about height as much as it's about torso length. As long as he's within the weight requirement and his head is not breaching the shell, he fits. Would I use it this long? No. But it's perfectly safe too. And while they do recommend it to 10-12 the recommendation is anyone under 4'8". 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Izzy's expression: Perhaps Izzy just checked out mom and dad's shoes?  Or he's been up for hours and they didn't plan ahead so he's been ready for a nap for like an hour, but WEDDING!   I'm hoping Jill and family have just arrived and Sammy fell asleep in the car seat and they just carried him in asleep.  Although why they didn't put socks on his feet when the reception is probably got a/c - otherwise the cake and such would melt is beyond me, but then Duggars.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Although why they didn't put socks on his feet when the reception is probably got a/c - otherwise the cake and such would melt is beyond me, but then Duggars.

but hey - they are clean feet!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Jill looks so old in this picture compared to Abbie. Aren't they roughly the same age? Abbie is so fresh-faced, and Jill looks like she's been through a war. Contrast that to someone like Jessa who looks tired, as the parent of two toddlers, but happy with life. 

Abbie is happy with JD, and it shows on her face.  Jill is unhappy with Dreck, and it shows on her face.

I want to wipe those damn surprised eyebrows off of Jill's face.  She looks wackadoodle in the solo church pic, but she looks very nice in the group photo with the ladies.  Izzy doesn't look like himself at all.  We may have witnessed the poor kid realizing who is parents are.  

• Love 10

Technically the infant bucket seat is fine until his head is < 1" from the top and he doesn't exceed the weight limit (which is like 30# on most seats these days). He looks okay; a tight fit and heavier than I personally would want to carry around but probably still within the limits of the seat. 

• Love 3

Regarding Jill’s “recipes,” I was reading a back issue of hgtv or food network magazine at the dentist’s and it had a section where a “star” talked about their favorite family recipe. This one profiled Joanna Gaines and her recipe was shepherd’s pie. IIRC It basically said to brown some ground beef, dump in some frozen peas/carrots and a packet of gravy mix, unroll a can of biscuits over the top, throw on some shredded cheese and bake it. I’m a busy mom and i’m all for recipe shortcuts and quick cooking, but this was Joanna’s favorite family recipe? Huh. All the Duggars seem to idolize Joanna so maybe Jill figures if Joanna does it it must be okay. 

• Love 11

Hmm, Derelick is suppose to graduate on Sunday the 29th.  I wonder where they will be living on Monday the 30th?  The Crosschurch calendar for Derilick's class had move in day on Aug 17th.  Since they say that they have contracts with apartments and duplexes for the student housing, I'm sure they need to be out right after graduation so that the housing can be cleaned and any repairs done - like painting, replacing carpeting, changing out appliances or any of the many things that needs to be done between renters.  Meanwhile, I wonder if Jill got anything from the garden that she planted super late?

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Where are the mashed potatoes? If it's not topped with those, it's just a lazy man's ground beef pot pie. Which isn't even a thing to start with.

It said she serves it over mashed potatoes. I’ve always seen shepherd’s pie served with mashed potatoes on top, not canned biscuits, but maybe they do things differently in Texas. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Hmm, Derelick is suppose to graduate on Sunday the 29th.  I wonder where they will be living on Monday the 30th?  The Crosschurch calendar for Derilick's class had move in day on Aug 17th.  Since they say that they have contracts with apartments and duplexes for the student housing, I'm sure they need to be out right after graduation so that the housing can be cleaned and any repairs done - like painting, replacing carpeting, changing out appliances or any of the many things that needs to be done between renters.  Meanwhile, I wonder if Jill got anything from the garden that she planted super late?

On Monday the 30 th Jilly plus family will be back with daddy. YAY!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Hmm, Derelick is suppose to graduate on Sunday the 29th.  I wonder where they will be living on Monday the 30th?  The Crosschurch calendar for Derilick's class had move in day on Aug 17th.  Since they say that they have contracts with apartments and duplexes for the student housing, I'm sure they need to be out right after graduation so that the housing can be cleaned and any repairs done - like painting, replacing carpeting, changing out appliances or any of the many things that needs to be done between renters.  

If those photos Jilly's been posting on SM, show the interior of their rented place, I doubt it. Not much done between tenants as far as I could tell. Certainly not replacing carpeting or changing appliances. Tenants in that kind of cr*p housing are lucky if the landlord cleans the carpets between leases.

• Love 8

From a review I found:

Having logged forty years of marriage, mothered six children, and lived most of those years in the spotlight as a ministry wife, Barbara has earned the right to speak out against fairy tale theology in which God owes us a happy ending. She has learned the hard way that it is possible to offer helpful input to ones husband without becoming his mum. Ending every disagreement in their marriage with a restatement of their promise to stay together has been glue that has held them in love, along with the truth that the wife is NOT her husbands moral custodian. Husbands are responsible for their own hearts before God and we wives have plenty of our own junk to take care of, anyway. 

Having endured through some wintry years in her married life, Barbara offers the encouragement that spring can come again. Without syrup or sentimentality, and with sensitivity toward those who truly are in unhealthy (or even dangerous) relationships, Letters to My Daughters comes alongside young wives with encouragement to believe in their husbands, to exercise verbal self-restraint when tempted to criticize or bad-mouth, and to understand that as dark shadows anchor the objects in a painting, so our shadowed experiences of struggle, and sacrifice anchor us to the God who is solid and unchanging. He does not send difficult circumstances to see how much you can bear, but so that you can experience His sustaining strength holding you up. 

As I read this heartfelt exchange between a wise mum and her dear girls, I became even more thankful for the daughter-in-love who has become a precious part of our family. As daughters of Eve, each of us needs a daily recommitment to trust the Choreographer as we move in harmony with our partner, to embrace the glorious differences between men and women as we follow Gods recipe for reflecting His image so that our marriages can become a statement of wonder to the watching world statements of the goodness, the power and the beauty of God. 

Screenshot_20180726-184506_Instagram.jpg

• Love 2

It's understandable that Jill would find comfort in a book that reinforces staying with your husband no matter what. She's stuck with Derick for life even though he's getting crazier by the day. I don't think she's happy, but I also don't think she would ever leave him so reading that all things she's doing are holy probably makes her feel less trapped.

• Love 15
On 7/25/2018 at 5:17 PM, DragonFaerie said:

Hmm, Derelick is suppose to graduate on Sunday the 29th.  I wonder where they will be living on Monday the 30th?  The Crosschurch calendar for Derilick's class had

I’ve wondered for a while: how/why did you come up with the nickname Derelick/Derilick? 

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Lukeysboat said:

I’ve wondered for a while: how/why did you come up with the nickname Derelick/Derilick? 

der·e·lict

noun

lacking a sense of duty. a drifter.

adjective

in a very poor condition as a result of disuse and neglect.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 11
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

der·e·lict

noun

lacking a sense of duty. a drifter.

adjective

in a very poor condition as a result of disuse and neglect.

Yes, I know what a derelict is. So “Derelick/Derilick” is just a play on that—making it two plays away from Derick?

• Love 2

Jill's wine lace dress looks just like the dress I wore to every funeral I attended throughout the 1980s.

Whenever one of us wins at the cake wheel or cake walk during a Church picnic or other festival my spouse's 1st choice will always be lemon bundt. Then lemon anything, But I think Cross Church and the Gothards would not approve of gambling at Church picnics. 

• Love 2
On 7/25/2018 at 9:09 PM, mynextmistake said:

It said she serves it over mashed potatoes. I’ve always seen shepherd’s pie served with mashed potatoes on top, not canned biscuits, but maybe they do things differently in Texas. 

I make a lazy Shepherd's Pie, I buy the premade mashed potatoes. I cook the meat and onion, add broth/gravy, seasonings, peas & carrots, put in a dish, potatoes on top and bake. Its simple and not gourmet but there are rarely leftovers. I used 2 lbs of ground meat, beef and turkey breast. Its not as heavy and it still tasted beefy. 

• Love 5