Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I agree. I do think JB loves his kids and makes some effort to get to know them as individuals (within the limited spectrum of personality traits / interests that are acceptable in their world). I think he believes he is doing right by them, or believed it at the time of the first specials. I wonder if he looks at them now and thinks, "oh crap!" but is in too deep to admit failure now, since he's built this successful brand, and a lot of leghumpers still give him positive reinforcement. If he realized Michelle's awful homeschooling sucked, none of his kids but JD have job skills, his daughters are awful housewives, and at least two of their marriages are terrible, what good would come to him by admitting it publicly? That's more than I can say for Michelle, btw. She doesn't make any effort to know them individually past infancy, except for Josh, Jessa, and Josie. She also lacks any kind of self reflection skills or wherewithal to realize that her homeschooling skills are horrible. 

JB said on one of the episode of the original show he controls his children before they get married. He did not protect his own daughters from their brother. He was more upset over the fact the dirty family secrets came out than the fact his own son molested four of his daughters more than once. He quickly married off Smuggs and the four molested daughters in order to protect the family name. He is out for number one aka himself. Deredick in some ways is a younger version of JB.

Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe

May 28, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

This makes a “Duggar sized” batch of the soup. Mama would make this growing up and usually serve it with either saltine crackers or homemade whole wheat bread.

7 lbs. frozen broccoli

2 lbs. easy melt cheese (Velveeta or equivalent)

1 quart sweet whipping cream

enough water to cook broccoli

1 C cornstarch with cold water to thicken after other ingredients are hot.

Cook broccoli first and drain water. Add velveeta and whipping cream and heat over medium low heat until melted (stirring frequently to prevent scorching!). Once heated, add cornstarch to thicken.

She doesn’t mention eating it in a car, as pictured. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

What don't they use whipping cream in? Good lort all their arteries should be slamming shut at any moment.

I was thinking the exact same thing, all her meals must taste pretty much the same, salty, fatty, and maybe cheesy

• Love 13

And in what universe does a recipe say to "dump whole stalks" of broccoli into the soup, nobody will notice? Idiots, guessing Michelle can't read because she obviously never heard of cookbooks.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Michelle serving "homemade whole wheat bread?" I'd bet my *ss that never happened. Unless someone else baked it.

And, besides the gloppy recipe, there's a photo of the obligatory Sytrofoam™ dish it's served in. In the car. In the. bloody. car. With someone's (I suppose Derick's) hairy knee in the background. That's some seriously appetite-killing food photography there.

I bet someone is following Jill and compiling the ultimate "how not to be a food blogger" article. Because good Lort, is she ever providing a wealth of material.

Who the hell eats soup in the car put of a styrofoam bowl??

also, I am imagining the smell of the broccoli and velvetta and have renamed it “cheesy fart soup”

• Love 24
15 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

2 lbs. easy melt cheese (Velveeta or equivalent)

Velveeta is not cheese.  It contains zero cheese. Each serving of Velveeta includes 6 grams of fat (4 grams are saturated fat), 3 grams of carbs ( 2 are from sugars), and 410 milligrams of sodium.

• Love 20

Velveeta is plastic with a low melting point. But damn it's good for a quick queso and that's all I can say it's good for. Not that I eat it.

I've been told this. Honest.

• Love 14
(edited)
11 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I guess in a culture where you have David Waller testifying to his hell-meriting sinfulness and need for Christ's blood redemption at age 3 and Jingle likewise at age 5 and so on, this is one of the  subliminal beliefs that many of them hold. ........

There are probably some whose personalities make this less congenial so they just unconsciously act differently...... But I'm afraid if we're waiting for a reflective bent, education and actual intelligence to bat it down in the others we'll be waiting a long long time. 

There's a whole idea here that kids are supposed to be fully baked at a VERY young age -- but still remain completely subservient to their patriarchs FOREVER, nonetheless. Yet another completely messed-up idea permeating Duggardom.  Fun for the patriarchs, though. They get to blame kids, even tiny ones, for everything. AND get to run everybody's lives in minute detail for as long as their little Scroogey hearts desire. 

I don't think that's wholly correct, that they think the kids are "fully baked".  They think, "Man is born to evil as the sparks fly upwards" - which is to say, that given a choice between good and bad outcomes, kids are just as likely to choose the bad outcome, as they are to choose the good.  It is the parents' responsibility to drum into their little heads what the "good" choices are, over and over ad nauseam, so that they don't choose the bad, without which wholesale shoving your kid could just as easily turn out to be a psychopath. 

What they are convinced of, is that after a certain age, the child who doesn't "accept Christ into his or her heart" is going to burn in the flames of hellfire eternal when they die.  Even the strictest current fundie theologian doesn't really think God sends babies to hell ("Suffer the little children not, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"); but nobody knows, really, what the cutoff is; so if you dare to take leave of your senses and let your kid experience a normal teenage adolescence where they wind up being, say, killed by (or as) a drunk driver, that kid is going to hell and that's on you as a parent; but it won't stop your kid going to hell. 

Thus the parents' insistence that kids start having this dunned into them so they can "make a profession of faith" (though I suppose, really should be "make a profession of terror", which I shouldn't think is much to brag about but then again, clearly I'm not a proper fundie), as soon as they can lisp the words a la David Waller.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, scriggle said:

That is not soup. That is broccoli in creamy cheese sauce.

That's frozen broccoli in creamy sauce.  There is no cheese in it!  

• Love 15

I love broccoli cheese soup, but that concoction that Jill has put together looks nasty. In the grand scheme of things the Styrofoam bowl is the least of my concerns, but really, why in the hell do they always eat food in the parking lot? Including apparently their own food?

I looked for a better recipe and this one caught my eye and I think I'd like to try it. (Also, now I have a hankering for Panera broccoli cheese soup.) Also, I found the bold pretty funny all things considered.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/my-favorite-broccoli-cheese-soup/

I just stocked up on more cheddar because this easy broccoli cheese soup is a regular at my house when it starts to get cold. I like it better than what I’ve had at any cafe and I love that it’s made with real ingredients – none of that weird processed cheese. You’ll love it so much you might even want to double up the recipe so you can have some left for lunch the next day.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, toodles said:

I can take or leave the act of cooking.  I'm not a foodie on my best day.  But I watch a lot of cooking shows.  These shows weren't around when I was a young wife like Jill is, so I learned the old fashioned way.  I'm an old bag now and I still learn from cooking shows.  But she needs to start watching some of the good cooking shows.  PBS has a bunch on Saturday.  Barefoot Contessa is pretty good.  Pioneer Woman does not count.

Jill probably watches Sandra Lee and thinks those recipes are gourmet.  Sandra Lee is right up Jill's alley when it comes to "recipes."

• Love 4

I thought that at least the  water used to cook the broccoli was still in there until I re-read the recipe? Why drain it? There's not nearly enough liquid in there to make it "soup". And what's with the measurement on the cornstarch? Is it supposed to be a few teaspoons on cornstarch in a cup of water (in which case, again, why drain off the original cooking water which would at least have some flavor and nutrients)? Because a cup of cornstarch would  congeal that into a virtual solid. And if you are adding cornstarch to water, you make a slurry of it first, then add remaining amount of water. This recipe, the way it is written, is almost impossible to follow, in addition to being pretty much disgusting.

• Love 21

1 C cornstarch with cold water to thicken after other ingredients are hot.

That cannot be correct.  1 CUP cornstarch??? Also, although it pains me to say this, this is one occasion where one of their cans of Cream of Slop Soup would actually be preferable as a base  for this recipe.

• Love 20

I wonder if Jill really even reads articles, books, comments, etc. about nutrition.  It seems like she might not realize what foods might be healthy. but, get ruined by the way they are prepared.  She and Derick sure don't seem to have a weight problem, but, still, eating food with lots of chemicals and little nutritional value, isn't good for anyone, even slim people and children.  I would think that with Derick's health problems, they might explore nutrition in order to help his body become stronger.   

I come from the south too and a lot of families have a culture of serving food that is high in carbs, fat, chemicals and calories. And they do it with a smile like hey, look at this big dish (not real food) of fat, chemicals, carbs and unnecessary calories.  Plus, it's sort of wasted calories on things that could be healthful.  I know of some people who LOVE to serve FRIED cabbage.  I mean.....cabbage is very tasty and could be a low calorie side dish, but, when you fry it???? Not sure what they are trying to accomplish when you serve that to your family? Maybe, I'm too focused on healthy food.  

• Love 4
(edited)

How often does she post with food while in her car? 

Also, ref. her comment upthread about her mom making that dish when she was growing up....I'm trying to recall if Michelle cooked that much.  It seems to me that the girls did.  Maybe, she means before they went on tv. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Y’all, seriously what the fuck is happening in that house that makes her think any of this is okay?

Bizarre “soup”

Eaten on the go 

In the CAR

Captured “on film”

Posted on a lifestyle blog

This is SO WEIRD!!!!! It has to be an unconscious cry for help. Seriously. Why can’t she eat her “soup” at home?

Jill is trying to churn out as many posts as she can. Something is up with that family and money.

Remember how something always seemed off about the Duggars and then everything made sense once we learned of Josh’s molesting? I think there is going to be some sort of revelation and looking back all this Dillard weirdness will make sense.

Is it really any weirder than the diaper mountain on the dresser, though? ....

The TTH has always seemed like the free-range junk-food-eating capital of the world to me, so everything you've described is a matter of course there. This recipe came from the TTH, and of course they ALWAYS eat on disposable dishes ...

I really think that, for the most part anyway, these lackadaisical housekeeping things we see are just in the style of what the Duggarlings got used to from childhood and therefore accept as the norm...........

Here and there a kid may have been born who was slightly more fastidious or imaginative and those few may live differently. Jingle, probably. But it strikes me that even the most repugnant things we've seen with this generation are really just rehashes of the way things have always been in their household of origin. So why would they think to question them or do them differently? After all, Mama and Daddy are the creme de la creme, aren't they? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Michelle serving "homemade whole wheat bread?" I'd bet my *ss that never happened. Unless someone else baked it.

I'd bet the broccoli never happened either. The only vegetable they seem to know is green beans from a can. And I think one of the older girls has always done the bread-making.

In any case, Jill continues to set the "mediocre" bar lower and lower.

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Also, ref. her comment upthread about her mom making that dish when she was growing up....I'm trying to recall if Michelle cooked that much.  It seems to me that the girls did.  Maybe, she means before they went on tv. 

I think she's been "trained" well enough from her years on TV to substitute "mom" for "sister mom" to make their statements socially acceptable that by now it's become second nature.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Y’all, seriously what the fuck is happening in that house that makes her think any of this is okay?

Bizarre “soup”

Eaten on the go 

In the CAR

Captured “on film”

Posted on a lifestyle blog

This is SO WEIRD!!!!! It has to be an unconscious cry for help. Seriously. Why can’t she eat her “soup” at home?

Jill is trying to churn out as many posts as she can. Something is up with that family and money.

Remember how something always seemed off about the Duggars and then everything made sense once we learned of Josh’s molesting? I think there is going to be some sort of revelation and looking back all this Dillard weirdness will make sense.

I think Jill has become MEchelle Jr.

• Love 8

Someone PLEASE find a photo of appetizing-looking, attractively plated broccoli soup and do one of those funny side-by-side Pinterest Fail thingies. For that matter, someone could create an entire gallery and add to it every time Jill decides to share a "recipe" and a gross styrofoam "food" pic.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, graefin said:

I'd bet the broccoli never happened either. The only vegetable they seem to know is green beans from a can. 

Agreed. I think this recipe was an attempt at a humble brag. “Oh we all love to eat our broccoli! We eat our vegetables ALL OF THE TIME!” 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Agreed. I think this recipe was an attempt at a humble brag. “Oh we all love to eat our broccoli! We eat our vegetables ALL OF THE TIME!” 

Frozen broccoli barely qualifies as a vegetable, anyway--it just tastes like rubber to me.  It's probably cheaper than fresh broccoli, but the Duggars' beloved Sam's Club has excellent fresh produce prices. And if they'd just chop the broccoli a bit more finely, no one would have to know if they used all the stems and stalks.

• Love 3
(edited)

These recipes seem old to me, like thirty-forty years ago this was hip. These days almost everyone seems obsessed with healthy eating.

Of course back in the day, when they were still in long skirts all the time and none of the girls were married or courting, the Duggars toured the country selling their books. The Duggars would get invited to dinner at fans' houses and eat with them. Their fans were so excited to have these wonderful people over for dinner, and of course to celebrate they would make Tater Tot Casserole for dinner. Almost all of their devoted fans made TTC for dinner. No wonder Jill thinks everyone wants to try her mother's old recipes. 

Edited by Temperance
grammar
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Portia said:

Someone PLEASE find a photo of appetizing-looking, attractively plated broccoli soup and do one of those funny side-by-side Pinterest Fail thingies. For that matter, someone could create an entire gallery and add to it every time Jill decides to share a "recipe" and a gross styrofoam "food" pic.

Damn, I almost want to do this.  Of course my 400 projects all going at once brain is like, Oh, make an entire blog about how to turn the disgusting, sodium filled recipes of the Duggarlings into healthy, yummy and appetizing food - complete with their recipe and styrofoam pics next to my pretty presentation.  

• Love 10
On 5/27/2018 at 6:45 PM, doodlebug said:

My parents' generation believed that all major decisions were up to the parents and kids were not part of the decision making team.

Each of my parents remarried without telling us kids beforehand. Mother did this 3 different times.

Where is Jilly going that shes in the car so much? Is it inability to be apart from Dill still? It would do her so much good to get out on her own and take some cooking classes through an Extension Homemakers Club or some like entity.

• Love 5
(edited)

It would do her so much good to get out on her own and take some cooking classes through an Extension Homemakers Club or some like entity.

Umm,, you're working a bit above Jill's capacity here.  I was thinking more in terms of her picking up her cell and signing up for Blue Apron....

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Umm,, you're working a bit above Jill's capacity here.  I was thinking more in terms of her picking up her cell and signing up for Blue Apron....

Even that is WAY above her capacity ... we're talking following actual directions here. Her "cooking terminology" consists of "dump" and "throw" and "toss"...

• Love 15
23 minutes ago, TresGatos said:

Each of my parents remarried without telling us kids beforehand. Mother did this 3 different times.

My dad did this to me when I was a teen.  He went to "visit family" up north and came home with a new wife and step daughter who he moved into my family home. Not a word, no discussion, just strangers moving into my home.  Surprisingly, it didn't work out all Brady Bunch!!  Imagine that!!!??  So sorry you had to endure it more than once.  I feel your pain. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, DragonFaerie said:

I wonder if Derelick in on Twitter today raging against CBS for canceling the Roseanne reboot after her Twitter rant yesterday?

As someone once said on another reality television show Facebook is not your friend. I will say with certain people like Roseanne and Deredick, twitter is not your friend either. They are entitled to their opinions like the rest of us, but they both need to learn how to keep their opinions to themselves instead of sharing them with the rest of the world because sooner or later it can come back to bite you in the behind or in their case their wallet.

5 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

As someone once said on another reality television show Facebook is not your friend. I will say with certain people like Roseanne and Deredick, twitter is not your friend either. They are entitled to their opinions like the rest of us, but they both need to learn how to keep their opinions to themselves instead of sharing them with the rest of the world because sooner or later it can come back to bite you in the behind or in their case their wallet.

I want them to share their opinions. I don't agree with either of them, but I prefer that they are upfront with it so that I can make the decision to support them or not. Also, karma. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Is she really so lazy she can't use a real bowl? Even for a food blog? It's not like she's washing dishes for twenty these days. Laziest people on earth.

This disposable shit they use and consider normal, is just so damn wasteful.  It's like these entitled out-of-control breeders consider it their right to create the largest carbon footprint imaginable.  That just pisses my recycling ass off royally.

Even if I liked them (which I don't), I'd hate them for that alone.  If Ma & Pa Kettle want 200 grandkids, for fuck's sake, don't they give a rat's ass about what kind of world they are leaving for them?  Beyond selfish, shameful, and fucked up.  

• Love 21