Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I blame everyone here. I made macaroni and cheese for lunch today. The family size. Between me and the twins, we ate the whole thing.  It was delicious. To make up for it, I'm making chicken tacos for dinner. From scratch. With real chicken breasts. And other real ingredients. Take a lesson, Jilly. 

Mmmmmmmm can I come over to your house? ?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

I blame everyone here. I made macaroni and cheese for lunch today. The family size. Between me and the twins, we ate the whole thing.  It was delicious. To make up for it, I'm making chicken tacos for dinner. From scratch. With real chicken breasts. And other real ingredients. Take a lesson, Jilly. 

Lol..I had Mac and cheese for lunch too, but I cheated. I did the Lean Cuisine one.  

• Love 4
On 10/10/2018 at 2:29 PM, graefin said:

Ahem, so Jill claims that the picture she posted is of the actual recipe but that low-sodium soups account for the noncreamy appearance. Does this make any sense? "Cream of" soup is still "cream of," no?

so.JPG

I am impressed that this person is enough of a Duggar sycophant to say that this recipe was "okay." If she followed the recipe "to a tee" it must have been more than a little greasy and more than a "bit on the salty side." I'm also curious to know whether it made the promised "6-8 servings."

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I am impressed that this person is enough of a Duggar sycophant to say that this recipe was "okay." If she followed the recipe "to a tee" it must have been more than a little greasy and more than a "bit on the salty side." I'm also curious to know whether it made the promised "6-8 servings."

I believe the poster has come forward as a PTV troll from this forum.  She said she never actually made the dish!

• Love 13

Speaking of the horrendous food train, I just spent yesterday eating little but Pringle's potato chips...Ugh! I never buy them because I know I find them ridiculously  addictive even though they are about the fakest foodstuff out there. But I had cousins from England visiting over the past week, and they had bought a couple of the large economy size containers of them to take home (we did a run at BJ's for a few such treats), then ended up leaving them behind. So I had a few...then a few more...another nibble here and a handful there...and eventually felt too queasy to even think of real food to counteract them...No bueno. 

I think I had enough junk food to last for the rest of the year...Even the thought of mac'n'cheese doesn't sound too tempting...

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Speaking of the horrendous food train, I just spent yesterday eating little but Pringle's potato chips...Ugh! I never buy them because I know I find them ridiculously  addictive even though they are about the fakest foodstuff out there. But I had cousins from England visiting over the past week, and they had bought a couple of the large economy size containers of them to take home (we did a run at BJ's for a few such treats), then ended up leaving them behind. So I had a few...then a few more...another nibble here and a handful there...and eventually felt too queasy to even think of real food to counteract them...No bueno. 

I think I had enough junk food to last for the rest of the year...Even the thought of mac'n'cheese doesn't sound too tempting...

Funny how we have a taste for some junk food items but not others. I have always HATED Pringle's, but liked a lot of other nasty stuff. I find white cheddar popcorn to be totally addictive, though objectively it's kind of gross. I ask myself, "if I were a corpse come back to life from 1700, and I had never had processed food, would I find this disgusting?" The answer is always YES, but I find it SOOOOO GOOD!!! Objectively, though, how is it "better" than Pringles? I guess we all have our own taste, and that applies to junk food too. 

• Love 8

Let's think about Jill's logic on the soup. Salt is white. If a can of soup has a lot of salt in it, the salt must make the soup look white. Cream soup is white, so salt makes the soup whiter and creamier. See? That's in Michelle's homeschool lesson on critical thinking. 

If somebody really followed that recipe and ate the result, that person is in the hospital as we speak. If someone actually served that slop to friends, the host is in hiding, fearing an angry mob.  

• Love 24

I made a batch of spaghetti for dinner tonight (it's always better second day). Made the Ravi from scratch, aside from canned tomatoes. I can't stand blanching, peeling, and seeding when there's a healthy shortcut available. If it's okay with Lidia, it's fine by me. At any rate, the only salt added was to the pasta water and maybe a half teaspoon to the sauce. Our BP is okay for now, and I want it to stay that way. I'm also lucky that even though both of my mothers were pretty basic cooks, I was never exposed to cream of anything soups. I can't imagine how shitty they taste. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm completely addicted to Pringles. Its absolutely crazy how many cans I go through. But I can't help it. They are so good. Besides since I can't have regular potato chips, Doritos, Cheetos, pretzels and popcorn on the market (my specific diet doesn't allow based on oils or ingredients,  Dorito's being made out of corn, and popcorn also corn) I'm just happy there's still a chip I can binge on. I can have Lays Baked Chips but their always ridiculously expensive around here so Pringles it is. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm also lucky that even though both of my mothers were pretty basic cooks, I was never exposed to cream of anything soups. I can't imagine how shitty they taste. 

I grew up eating casseroles with cream of whatever soup & made them for my kids because all the cookbooks I used were filled with recipes that used them. I think they taste great. I don't cook with them now because I make healthier choices, not because those foods tasted bad.

• Love 24
5 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I grew up eating casseroles with cream of whatever soup & made them for my kids because all the cookbooks I used were filled with recipes that used them. I think they taste great. I don't cook with them now because I make healthier choices, not because those foods tasted bad.

Yes there’s a big difference between not caring for a type of dish (like cream based soups) and being an awful cook like Jill. I do not care for cream based soups either, but there are many that are executed very well- high fat content of course, but culinarily valuable. Many of the recipes from our grandparents and great grandparents generation are high in fat in calories but actual culinary treasures (that’s why you eat it just at holidays etc).

Jill is just a bad cook who doesn’t know it or care to learn. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm completely addicted to Pringles. Its absolutely crazy how many cans I go through. But I can't help it. They are so good. Besides since I can't have regular potato chips, Doritos, Cheetos, pretzels and popcorn on the market (my specific diet doesn't allow based on oils or ingredients,  Dorito's being made out of corn, and popcorn also corn) I'm just happy there's still a chip I can binge on. I can have Lays Baked Chips but their always ridiculously expensive around here so Pringles it is. 

Aldi has a version of Baked Lays that are really good and like half, if not less than half, the price. I can't say there's not something in them you can't have, but if you have an Aldi near you, they might be worth a try. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I’m not sure if this helps, but Costco has these amazing organic “Doritos” type chips. They are made with brown rice, quinoa and some other organic ingredients. They have the cheese powder like Doritos but I think it is made with real cheese. I think they are Costco’s generic brand. (I’m blanking on the name.) I am not the healthiest eater, and chips and salty/crunchy snacks are my weakness, but I love these much more than actual Doritos. 

Regarding Jill, I wish someone would call her out on her lie about her photo looking different because she used low sodium soup.

Edited by EVS
Correcting autocorrect mistake
  • Love 3
On 10/11/2018 at 9:22 PM, Westiepeach said:

I make my own spaghetti sauce from the tomatoes we grow in our garden. Heck, I make my own KETCHUP from our tomatoes. That said, I will be going to the store tomorrow to buy a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese. Because I am seriously craving it!

On 10/11/2018 at 9:32 PM, DragonFaerie said:

I just put up another 6 or 7 jars of tomato mixtures from our garden last week.  I do spaghetti sauce, plain tomato sauce, tomato paste, pizza sauce for our homemade pizza and calzones and bruschetta.  2 nights ago I insisted of Kraft Mac and Cheese for dinner because of this board.  LOL

Don't give Jill any ideas about canning.  I can't imagine her tackling that even though she should have learned all about canning growing  up (instead of taking care of her younger buddies.)

We had a patient bring us homemade salsa from things in her garden when I worked at the doctor's office.  Mild & hot & she made plenty - a jar for each of us (close to 25) & some extras to stay at the office complete with a bag of chips. She was older with a lot of health problems so we really appreciated her taking the time to make it for us. We tried to pay her for it but she wouldn't take a cent.  She was like the grandmother of the office even though she had her own family.

Regarding Mac & Cheese - The pediatrician I worked for said the boxed mac & cheese was about the only thing his daughters  would eat when they were little.  They would turn their noses up when his wife tried to substitute the homemade kind. 

• Love 3

I can't tell where they are, but it doesn't look like a kitchen, restaurant, home etc. Why does it look like they're in an office building? My first thought was some kind of medical building, but I think that's just a weird light.  

That's a nice picture of Jill and her friends.  She looks good there. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I can't tell where they are, but it doesn't look like a kitchen, restaurant, home etc. Why does it look like they're in an office building? My first thought was some kind of medical building, but I think that's just a weird light.  

That's a nice picture of Jill and her Derelict's friends.  She looks good there. 

FTFY. ?

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Temperance said:

That's a nice picture of Jill and her friends.  She looks good there. 

It's looks like that montrous of a building that Lauren and Josiah are housesitting.  It's probably just those sliding glass doors though.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Aldi has a version of Baked Lays that are really good and like half, if not less than half, the price. I can't say there's not something in them you can't have, but if you have an Aldi near you, they might be worth a try. 

2 hours ago, EVS said:

I’m not sure if this helps, but Costco has these amazing organic “Doritos” type chips. They are made with brown rice, quinoa and some other organic ingredients. They have the cheese powder like Doritos but I think it is made with real cheese. I think they are Costco’s generic brand. (I’m blanking on the name.) I am not the healthiest eater, and chips and salty/crunchy snacks are my weakness, but I love these much more than actual Doritos. 

Regarding Jill, I wish someone would call her out on her lie about her photo looking different because she used low sodium soup.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them and check the ingredients. I would be really great to have more then one chip brand to eat. 

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes there’s a big difference between not caring for a type of dish (like cream based soups) and being an awful cook like Jill. I do not care for cream based soups either, but there are many that are executed very well- high fat content of course, but culinarily valuable. Many of the recipes from our grandparents and great grandparents generation are high in fat in calories but actual culinary treasures (that’s why you eat it just at holidays etc).

Jill is just a bad cook who doesn’t know it or care to learn. 

Exactly, my family has a some of really bad for you but taste really good comfort food or casseroles but we only eat maybe once or twice a year because they are really not good for you. Then again when Mom would give out the recipes she always did so with 'this is a really good but really bad for you dish' 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, toodles said:

I believe it.  I understand your hesitation to post though.  

I can actually see it. The sexual themes...duh. This family talks about sexual themes more than any other family in the world!!! I could see him also thinking it was appropriate to say something like, "Jill and I never have sex anymore," since the sessions are supposed to be private. The guy loves to talk about himself! I could at least see him steering people against birth control with stuff like, "Jill and I are being celibate for now because we aren't having any kids for X years." The touching is a little harder to imagine, but I can buy it, and the sex part is a no-brainer!

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I figure that it's Derelict's study buddies, and that's the law school cafeteria.

I thought it might be a conference room bookable at the library (law or other UofA library).  It looks like one of the group study rooms at university libraries I have known.

On the bright side, Jill is getting exposure to some more non-Gothardites!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Don't give Jill any ideas about canning.  I can't imagine her tackling that even though she should have learned all about canning growing  up (instead of taking care of her younger buddies.)

We had a patient bring us homemade salsa from things in her garden when I worked at the doctor's office.  Mild & hot & she made plenty - a jar for each of us (close to 25) & some extras to stay at the office complete with a bag of chips. She was older with a lot of health problems so we really appreciated her taking the time to make it for us. We tried to pay her for it but she wouldn't take a cent.  She was like the grandmother of the office even though she had her own family.

Regarding Mac & Cheese - The pediatrician I worked for said the boxed mac & cheese was about the only thing his daughters  would eat when they were little.  They would turn their noses up when his wife tried to substitute the homemade kind. 

I need a lady like this in my life.  There is no such thing as too much salsa in my opinion.

• Love 6

It's a store front, with the address number right on the glass.  4803?  But what the hell is on his shirt?

Back in the day when all the mom's made casseroles with cream of whatever soup, they weren't feeding them to a generation of video game playing, couch potato kids that get little exercise and mainline crap food.  The recipes weren't considered unhealthy because the portions were normal, and were usually part of a decently balanced meal. 

No, not everybody ate that way, but things were different back then and most of us survived and thrived. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 15
22 hours ago, MonicaM said:

I can't think of 6-8 people that I hate enough to inflict with this recipe.  

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, Jill and David R., Tabby Paine's rapist husband, and Bill Gothard. Now there's a dinner party!

• Love 24
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

It's a store front, with the address number right on the glass.  4803?  But what the hell is on his shirt?

That's what I wondered. He looks like he lost a mustard fight. And I nearly didn't recognize Jill without her trademark bug eyes and open mouth. She looks normal in this pic, which made me realize that she generally does not.

• Love 4