Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Since 1998,  my husband has had a LLC,  during the times he was a self employed one person business owner.   Nothing to do with capitalism.  Everything to do with income as a sub contractor with many clients.

I have explained LLCs many times.  Never again!

Yes, I think there's definitely a distinction to be made between what the Duggars are doing and people who have legitimate LLCs. Some people are definitely shady with these types of business entities, but there are also perfectly legitimate reasons to have an LLC.

When I started my own part-time work-from-home business a couple of years ago, I chatted with my accountant about the pros and cons of sole proprietorship versus LLC. And in my particular case, we felt like sole proprietorship made more sense for me, but we also talked about various scenarios where that might change and an LLC might be more beneficial. She definitely recommended one if I started to make more money and it also offers asset protection in dealing with lawsuits or creditors that a sole proprietorship can't provide.

Not to that point yet of needing one for myself, but if the Duggars actually had a moderately successful business of their own, it would make good sense to have one. Of course, they don't, but it doesn't mean everyone who sets one up is doing so as a tax cheat. What to me is most suspicious about the Duggar LLCs isn't the fact they are LLCs but the fact most of these businesses seem to be in name only and the sheer quantity of them. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12

The LLCs are not a way of paying/giving money to the kids. They don't receive any money or any profit because the LLCs are not really businesses, they are property investments. Even the planes. The kids might receive a small tax return benefit by having something to claim.

I wonder how it works for Jeremy, because he lives in another state. I'm sure that must complicate things a wee bit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
21 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Since 1998,  my husband has had a LLC,  during the times he was a self employed one person business owner.   Nothing to do with capitalism.  Everything to do with income as a sub contractor with many clients.

Sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to imply everyone with an LLC is somehow skirting taxes. I was only speaking on how I think the Duggars are using the LLCs. As you say, there are legitimate uses for self employed people and small businesses. Mike Seewald has one for the auto glass business and the Forsyth's have one for Fort Rock.  Both legitimate businesses.

The Duggars have about 30, with a majority of them formed since the loophole was created by the tax reform. All but JD's 4 are registered to the TTH address, including Jeremy's.  the ones formed years ago are perhaps real businesses. Duggar Properties and Duggar Aviation etc. 

But Anna has 6 and none are a real business. JED!'s shows the schoolhouse/church reno, which is surrounded by JB owned property etc.  also not a business. So it seems a JB tax shift.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 1
  • Love 23
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

wonder how it works for Jeremy, because he lives in another state. I'm sure that must complicate things a wee bit.

He’s a student. I wonder if they claim residency in Arkansas, or Texas, since it’s not like they own property in California.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

A lot of people may have legitimate reasons to have LLC, but JB seems to create those in his kids names to avoid taxes. And that should be illegal. It's really annoying that the rich can find a ton of loopholes to avoid paying taxes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Does he just hand the paperwork to Anna and say sign on the line?  And she does without questioning I'm sure.  Well, I'm not sure but I am pretty sure.

I am sure that's what they all do

• Love 8
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

A lot of people may have legitimate reasons to have LLC, but JB seems to create those in his kids names to avoid taxes. And that should be illegal. It's really annoying that the rich can find a ton of loopholes to avoid paying taxes. 

Unfortunately, JB's current use of LLCs was only made legal in the 2018 federal tax law. That's why he's only now flooding the landscape with these.  Previously, the way he's using them now was  pretty much illegal or at least an invitation to get yourself audited. 

The ability to use them as this kind of free-n-easy tax shelter -- rather than for the numerous perfectly valid and valuable purposes they serve for small businesses and freelance workers, among others --  was something the wealthy have been demanding for years and years, and they finally got it. So Nelly, bar the door. And, uh, Jesus, about that "render unto Caesar" bullshit? JB don't-a need-a do it no more! Having a bazillion unemployed children turns out to be an extremely lucrative wealth strategy! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12
(edited)
Spoiler

I'm pretty sure Anna just signs anything JB tells her. The problem with that is if he is doing something illegal or shady, she goes down with him. 

Also, there's nothing in the spoiler it was in the text box when I opened it.

Edited by Nysha
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

it is a way for someone with a high income to move property to someone to pay less taxes.

say JB owns a property, JB has a high income and would be taxed accordingly. He moves a property into an LLC in say Jana's name. said property is now taxed in Jana's tax bracket. since Jana has no income, the tax is lower. Any rent paid by a business to rent Jana's tattoo parlor building would also be on Jana's taxes not JB's. is how I understand it. It is a pass through entity to lower the rich persons taxes.

Can Jim Bob still claim Jana as a dependent on his taxes? She lives in his house and her only jobs appear to be gardening and nanny to the younger kids.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Can Jim Bob still claim Jana as a dependent on his taxes? She lives in his house and her only jobs appear to be gardening and nanny to the younger kids.  

Based on what we know, yes he could claim her as a dependent. But if he is filtering income through her name or her LLC’s, then he probably isn’t claiming her.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Probably not.  Children can be claimed until the age of 19 if not in school or 24 if they are a full time student.  It probably works out better for JB to shift some assets to her LLC and then Jana can claim them as income and pay taxes at a much lower rate than JB since she doesn't have any other source of income.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3

Jana's Tattoo parlor building shows up in her actual name in a property search, not under her LLC. Interesting that property is one of few that the kids have that didn't filter first through Mary, the JB and Michelle trust or a Duggar LLC. Surely JB put up the money to buy it. but the tax bill is in her real name and she also has the one LLC, so I don't think JB could claim her as a dependent.

Travis Story and their acct Jimmy Burns might figure otherwise.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Any signs on social media of where Anna and her hubby are today?

They were with the Kellers at the Creation Museum earlier this week, so I assume they're in Ohio.

• Useful 10

I'm nearly thinking that she didn't show up at the wedding. At best, I'm firmly convinced that she's horrified that Jilly Pampa Mama is now a part of her family.  #I'mnotgloatingatall

No idea why she feels to superior, she's married to a disgusting piece of shit.

• Love 17
On 7/24/2020 at 10:26 AM, doodlebug said:

Probably not.  Children can be claimed until the age of 19 if not in school or 24 if they are a full time student.  It probably works out better for JB to shift some assets to her LLC and then Jana can claim them as income and pay taxes at a much lower rate than JB since she doesn't have any other source of income.

JB can claim Jana as a dependent if she isn’t earning and income and claiming herself. My Mom still claims my sister at 32 and when my grandfather was alive she claimed him because she financially supported him. Plenty of people claim adult relatives they are supporting financially- they just don’t get the child credit. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

Yeah and claiming a dependent doesn’t get you what it used to, so I’m sure Boob and his ace accountant have figured out moving income around is more profitable to Boob.

Edited by ozziemom
Finished a sentence
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, MunichNark said:

No idea why she feels to superior, she's married to a disgusting piece of shit.

I'd guess it  just feels better to her own ego to persist in the view of the Duggs and Princeling Joshley that she was sold at the time of her marriage and that got even more inflated when Joshley was elevated to high-super-fundie-muckety-muck-judgmentalist in DC -- right before Humpty Dumpty Duggar fell off the wall ....

So she just blots everything else she's experienced as a Duggar-in-love out of her consciousness and basks in the feeling of superiority she once claimed as her due. 

And her superior pose seems to be getting rewarded to at least some degree, since Gothard types now name her as a wonderful "mentor" to young women in their misogyny cult.  (which makes me pull my hair out)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

“Josh fell into the raptor pit.  The dinosaurs arteries are now severely clogged!”

I regret that I have but one laugh emoji to give to this comment. I've been laughing my ass off about it for the past few minutes. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, awaken said:

Yeah, which kid had the mask on in the cage picture?  

MacKynzie (the oldest)

Also not a big fan of the dresses the girls are wearing, which Anna probably picked. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

M5 could almost pass for Henry in the picture of them in the cage.

I can see Gideon in him, too.

Does anyone know who the guy in the red shirt is? We've got Josh, Anna, and family, Mrs. Keller, Nathan and the other younger brother, and...?

• Love 1

Jana's Tattoo parlor building shows up in her actual name in a property search, not under her LLC. Interesting that property is one of few that the kids have that didn't filter first through Mary, the JB and Michelle trust or a Duggar LLC. Surely JB put up the money to buy it. but the tax bill is in her real name and she also has the one LLC, so I don't think JB could claim her as a dependent.

I still wouldn't want to be Jana. Her life looks even more painful than Anna's. And I'm not saying that because she is single and childless (I am single and childless too). None of these young women are allowed to have a life until some guy comes along to marry them. The boys can be single and move out, but Jana is stuck in that house living in a dorm with her little sisters, even though she's 30 years old. Her "jobs" are really just hobbies. 

As for Anna and Josh, I'm betting pregnancy #7 will be along any day. I still remember the agonized look on Josh's face when they filmed Anna announcing her pregnancy with Meredith. I'm not sure who is more trapped in the situation: Anna or Josh. 

• Love 17
18 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Other than when Josh was at Jesus Jail, I think Nurie's wedding is the farthest and longest Josh has ever been from his parents since the Joshgates happened. 

Didn’t they go to LA to visit jingle? Or was that a supervised trip?

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Didn’t they go to LA to visit jingle? Or was that a supervised trip?

JB & M were there at least part of the time. But I doubt they spent the entire trip with them in the RV.

Came back to add: I think they've been to FL a couple of times since the second scandal.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I can see Gideon in him, too.

Does anyone know who the guy in the red shirt is? We've got Josh, Anna, and family, Mrs. Keller, Nathan and the other younger brother, and...?

Daniel? I remember reading that he was in an accident, but I thought that was two years ago or so. Is he still in a wheelchair?

Just now, madpsych78 said:

Daniel? I remember reading that he was in an accident, but I thought that was two years ago or so. Is he still in a wheelchair?

He wasn't in a wheelchair last time he showed up on the Wallers blog about 6 months ago. He was living with his second wife and not his parents. 

yes He appears in the Waller family blog in the post Exciting Adventure. Daniel, his wife Diana and David installed a floor together and he's not in a wheelchair. 

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Is he the one who bad-mouthed Josh and offered to take Anna in? Because that would be an awkward family outing...

43 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Other than when Josh was at Jesus Jail, I think Nurie's wedding is the farthest and longest Josh has ever been from his parents since the Joshgates happened. 

LOL. This is funny. I doubt it. Remember, Joshley is "sly" (tm Jessa) and they're all proud of him for that.

19 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

This is idiocy. Kentucky's numbers are going the wrong direction and they are scaling back. Stupid, stupid time to be travelling at all, let alone hanging out in flocks without masks.

• Love 14
(edited)
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

He wasn't in a wheelchair last time he showed up on the Wallers blog about 6 months ago. He was living with his second wife and not his parents. 

yes He appears in the Waller family blog in the post Exciting Adventure. Daniel, his wife Diana and David installed a floor together and he's not in a wheelchair. 

Maybe he used a chair because a museum can be a lot of walking for someone with an injury, even if they can walk most of the time. My mom could walk, but we had a wheelchair to make certain outings easier for both of us. It made her want to get out more actually, because she didn't have to worry about "how much can I do/see before I start to wear out? Maybe I just shouldn't go, I'll be too much trouble".

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Is he the one who bad-mouthed Josh and offered to take Anna in? Because that would be an awkward family outing...

One and the same. He was married to Candace then.

• Love 1

I wonder how many times those babies have had their hands spanked for playing in the potted plants.  It never dawned on me to decorate a nursery with plants.  Plus some are poisonous if eaten.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

“We do too live in a house with a window!”

This is what, month nine of unemployment ? Starting to sweat yet, Anna? 

Well, she looked like shit at the Nurthan nuptials. She's aging in dog years.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, she looked like shit at the Nurthan nuptials. She's aging in dog years.

Yeah, but that’s pretty much independent of her life situation.

• Love 1