Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Oh, yeah, she does seem to take it more seriously than the SOTDRT. But .000000000001 is bigger than zero, too. That doesn't make it a particularly significant number, though. 

And -- homeschooling only takes an hour or two a day? .... That may be true per kid  -- - but the parent who's teaching multiple children needs considerably more time than that, unless they're just sticking the kids in front of computers and walking away.

Every age of kid needs something different and as the "teacher' of all these kids, you can't provide all those different things during the same hour.

And you need time to plan the stuff too, and study up on some things, yourself, if you're going to actually teach them anything and not still be doing subtraction flash cards when they're 14. I defy any adult to automatically know how to successfully explain division or the water cycle or he/she/they vs. him/her/them without brushing up on at least some of it.  

If she's spending just an hour or two a day on her homeschool -- and now that you mention it, I suppose she probably is -- then she's doing her kids a hideous disservice. Of course, she's a Duggar. So why wouldn't she be? 

Well then, I guess she sucks and the kids are doomed.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

She wants to be on TeeVee. Shit, why'd she join up with this TeeVee family if she wasn't going to get fame and visibility out of it?!

I don’t know, I took it a little differently. Obviously she normally is included in whatever’s going on, and she’s not happy being pushed out of the way when there’s filming. She hasn’t done anything wrong, and neither have her kids. If JB &M get to be on all the time, why shouldn’t she? This is a pretty passive-aggressive approach to asking, but I’m not sure anything more direct would be possible for her. She’s deeply steeped in modesty and patriarchy. 

On the other hand, referring to them as “Josh’s family” is a bit odd. @Churchhoney seems to understand them on a pretty deep level, so she’s probably right.

• Love 7

I was curious and headed on over to the Gram, and the comments on Anna's post are limited.  Bitch knows why her family is not on the show, but wants to drum up support from the leghumpers.  I highly doubt TLC will take the bait though.  Josh is still radioactive and will be for a long time.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Well then, I guess she sucks and the kids are doomed.

Well, she may suck and the kids may well be doomed to be very badly educated.  (or not, of course -- but the chance that the outcome won't be great is pretty strong...) 

I know some homeschoolers fairly well, and I've talked a length to quite a few more and read a large amount on this subject.  And I've talked to multiple scholars who study this -- most of them evangelical Protestants who actually believe in good homeschooling -- and to kids who'v'e been homeschooled in situations like Anna's.

And a lot of them paint a picture of schooling that's basically non-existent past a certain point and that isn't able to cope at all if any kids come along who have learning differences that require more attention and doing things in a different way, so those kids just don't get educated, period.

There's an idea out there that homeschooled kids are just as well educated as kids who go school and that standardized tests and studies prove that.

But that's not the case. First off, all the standardized testing and all the studies that have been done look only at homeschooled kids whose parents agree to have their kids participate. Homeschooling parents who reject governments and academia and the like and homeschooling parents who may suspect that their kids aren't doing so well just don't have their kids tested and don't allow them in the studies. So the actual educational status of a large segment of the homeschooled population is simply not known at all. 

When you look at the results of the tests and studies, what repeatedly shows up is that, on average, the homeschool kids do about the same as schooled kids in reading-related things and occasionally a hair better. but in virtually every study they do worse in math-related things. .....

That sounds perfectly acceptable, except that the schooled kids in studies usually do represent a random sample of schooled students, while the homeschooled kids represent only the part of the population for which the parents have volunteered to have their kids tested. And we know that that's far from the whole population.....and that it's very very likely to skew heavily toward the better-educated homeschoolers. And the better-educated homeschoolers are in homes where the parents really really value education and work hard at their homeschooling. So their kids do great. 

But there's a whole mass of homeschoolers who aren't part of the stats. And there's every reason to think -- from a whole lot of anecdotal information -- that most of the families who won't participate in testing or studies are mostly the ones who aren't doing a very good job. So if they were included in the stats, the average performance of homeschooled kids would be significantly lower than that of schooled kids. 

I know that's a fact. And I think it's a problem. And given the lackadaisical attitude toward schooling that Anna has all around her, even though she herself does seem a little more motivated, I don't think we should have much confidence in the hope that she's raising the bar a whole lot higher. 

And while Jim Bob will certainly support the Josh clan as long as he can, he's not likely to be around when Anna's kids are grown up. So if they end up poorly educated once they get past the pre-school level that she's trained to teach at, and if they end up thinking that school's something a teacher of multiple classes only needs to spend an hour or two a day doing, to me that's a problem for those kids.

Her kids won't be done with school at the second- or third-grade level, which is probably about as far as she's qualified to teach at this point....Soon -- very soon as time flies -- her kids will be spanning grades four through twelve ....and, unlike many homeschoolers who stick to the lower grades, she'll most likely still be teaching them. It's always seemed to me -- and still does -- that the Duggar "teachers" owe it to their children to spend effort learning stuff that might help them help the kids get something out of those higher grades.....But I don't get the impression that they do .... and if Anna does do it, it would and should, in my opinion, expand her hour or two a day of teaching duties a bit. .........And if she doesn't, I think that might harm their futures.

Will she bring in a tutor to help with middle-school and high-school stuff? How will she afford that? Meeechelle got some for free, I suppose, but poor Anna can't get on TeeVee, so her tutors might ask to be paid!  And will the kids' under-educated uncles manage to pull together businesses that will gainfully employ all of Josh's kids, too, if they turn out to be part of a second, even-larger under-educated Duggar generation? Wonder how likely that is.

Now it's perfectly possible that Anna is actually a respecter of education and that she does spend time on teaching and takes her teaching duties more seriously than she takes her pretty-hair duties and is brushing up on algebra and Spanish as we speak.......But I don't watch the show. I wasn't the one who observed that it's hard to see how she gets all the hair fancy-braided while also raising and teaching all those kids. Other people said that and i think it's a good question, just given what I know about homeschooling in general. 

I'm not saying she's hopeless or could never do a good job with her kids. I'm just hoping she takes it seriously. Because to do it well, you can not just treat it as a minor activity akin to hair braiding. And that will become more true with every year older that those kids get. 

3 hours ago, Genevrier said:

On the other hand, referring to them as “Josh’s family” is a bit odd. @Churchhoney seems to understand them on a pretty deep level, so she’s probably right.

Oh, I wouldn't bet on this part! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

so if the theme was tacky sweater party - I am seriously confused on how dithy's dress is considered tacky to them. considering those hideous dresses the girls have been shown in lately

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

so if the theme was tacky sweater party - I am seriously confused on how dithy's dress is considered tacky to them. considering those hideous dresses the girls have been shown in lately

I suppose that it was only the sweaters which were in competition. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I think some of the kids didn't want to do the tacky-sweater thing. And they may not have had that many tacky sweaters lying around the house either. Those things tend to be bulky and take up a lot of room. .....I see two kids who are definitely outside the theme and possibly three.

13 minutes ago, not you again said:

Do you suppose it's become awkward explaining to her kids why they are shoved out of the way when TLC cameras show up?

I assume that the camera crew is professional enough that the M kids don't know they are being excluded.  It is far easier to film them and leave that footage on the cutting room floor.  And hey, the Duggars don't watch the show, so how would the kids even know that they didn't make the cut. /s

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I was homeschooled 5th-12th, went to college with a bunch of homeschoolers, and then worked with homeschool families at a former job (an experience that convinced me most people shouldn't homeschool). In my experience, I don't think it is common at all for homeschoolers to only do 1-2 hours of school a day. I don't know that their days are always occupied with the most educational material or the best use of time, but most homeschoolers I know of do school for a few hours a day. 

That being said, from what I have observed, 4 kids seem to be the max that can be handled before things go to shit. (And it can go to shit with just 1 kid if either the kid and/or the homeschooling parent are temperamentally unsuited to homeschooling.) I was friends with a brother and sister duo who were homeschooled with their 2 siblings, and from what I can tell their mom did a great job with all 4 of them. She also had a college degree herself, her kids were all a good 2.5-3 years apart in age, and as far as I can tell, she never required her kids to teach other, though they did use a co-op for some classes. I can't offhand think of anyone I know with a bigger family who seemed to educate all the kids equally. 

It seems like after 4, it becomes more likely for siblings to start being required to teach younger kids in the family (which I personally don't think is fair to either kid--I say this from the experience of being required to teach my older brother who was severely dyslexic. That was extremely unfair to both of us) or for people to just check out and not care. I do think Anna put more effort into homeschooling in the beginning, but I think as she continues adding children to the brood, the less sustainable good homeschooling is. 

1 hour ago, not you again said:

Do you suppose it's become awkward explaining to her kids why they are shoved out of the way when TLC cameras show up?

I'm envisioning this regular awkward phone call where they're like, "Hey, Anna, you can't come to the TTH today because we're filming a not special episode without you."

"But I want to be on TV again!"

"I know. . . . Mom and Dad are on it."

"They're trying to get me back on TV?"

"No. They don't give a shit about you being on TV. But they will be on this episode." 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, she may suck and the kids may well be doomed to be very badly educated.  (or not, of course -- but the chance that the outcome won't be great is pretty strong...) 

I know some homeschoolers fairly well, and I've talked a length to quite a few more and read a large amount on this subject.  And I've talked to multiple scholars who study this -- most of them evangelical Protestants who actually believe in good homeschooling -- and to kids who'v'e been homeschooled in situations like Anna's.

And a lot of them paint a picture of schooling that's basically non-existent past a certain point and that isn't able to cope at all if any kids come along who have learning differences that require more attention and doing things in a different way, so those kids just don't get educated, period.

There's an idea out there that homeschooled kids are just as well educated as kids who go school and that standardized tests and studies prove that.

But that's not the case. First off, all the standardized testing and all the studies that have been done look only at homeschooled kids whose parents agree to have their kids participate. Homeschooling parents who reject governments and academia and the like and homeschooling parents who may suspect that their kids aren't doing so well just don't have their kids tested and don't allow them in the studies. So the actual educational status of a large segment of the homeschooled population is simply not known at all. 

When you look at the results of the tests and studies, what repeatedly shows up is that, on average, the homeschool kids do about the same as schooled kids in reading-related things and occasionally a hair better. but in virtually every study they do worse in math-related things. .....

That sounds perfectly acceptable, except that the schooled kids in studies usually do represent a random sample of schooled students, while the homeschooled kids represent only the part of the population for which the parents have volunteered to have their kids tested. And we know that that's far from the whole population.....and that it's very very likely to skew heavily toward the better-educated homeschoolers. And the better-educated homeschoolers are in homes where the parents really really value education and work hard at their homeschooling. So their kids do great. 

But there's a whole mass of homeschoolers who aren't part of the stats. And there's every reason to think -- from a whole lot of anecdotal information -- that most of the families who won't participate in testing or studies are mostly the ones who aren't doing a very good job. So if they were included in the stats, the average performance of homeschooled kids would be significantly lower than that of schooled kids. 

I know that's a fact. And I think it's a problem. And given the lackadaisical attitude toward schooling that Anna has all around her, even though she herself does seem a little more motivated, I don't think we should have much confidence in the hope that she's raising the bar a whole lot higher. 

And while Jim Bob will certainly support the Josh clan as long as he can, he's not likely to be around when Anna's kids are grown up. So if they end up poorly educated once they get past the pre-school level that she's trained to teach at, and if they end up thinking that school's something a teacher of multiple classes only needs to spend an hour or two a day doing, Her kids won't be done with school at the second- or third-grade level, which is probably about as far as she's qualified to teach at this point....

And soon -- very soon as time flies -- her kids will be spanning grades four through twelve ....and, unlike many homeschoolers who stick to the lower grades, she'll most likely still be teaching them. It's always seemed to me -- and still does -- that the Duggar "teachers" owe it to their children to spend effort learning stuff that might help them help the kids get something out of those higher grades.....But I don't get the impression that they do .... and if Anna does do it, it would and should, in my opinion, expand her hour or two a day of teaching duties a bit. .........And if she doesn't, I think that might harm their futures.

Will she bring in a tutor to help with middle-school and high-school stuff? How will she afford that? Meeechelle got some for free, I suppose, but poor Anna can't get on TeeVee, so her tutors might ask to be paid!  And will the kids' under-educated uncles manage to pull together businesses that will gainfully employ all of Josh's kids, too, if they turn out to be part of a second, even-larger under-educated Duggar generation? Wonder how likely that is.

Now it's perfectly possible that Anna is actually a respecter of education and that she does spend time on teaching and takes her teaching duties more seriously than she takes her pretty-hair duties and is brushing up on algebra and Spanish as we speak.......But I don't watch the show. I wasn't the one who observed that it's hard to see how she gets all the hair fancy-braided while also raising and teaching all those kids. Other people said that and i think it's a good question, just given what I know about homeschooling in general. 

I'm not saying she's hopeless or could never do a good job with her kids. I'm just hoping she takes it seriously. Because to do it well, you can not just treat it as a minor activity akin to hair braiding. And that will become more true with every year older that those kids get. 

Oh, I wouldn't bet on this part! 

Thank you for so very eloquently summarizing the issue.  Drives me crazy when so many homeschoolers pretend that their kids are just as well educated as children attending conventional classes.

In addition, many, if not most, homeschoolers do not take advantage of opportunities for their kids to attend classes with a group of diverse peers; kids of different ethnicities, religious beliefs, family composition.  Their kids are isolated in a bubble and have virtually no coping skills when faced with others who are not exactly like them.

There is also the point that many of us took a lot of varied courses in middle school and high school and it is impossible for a single homeschool teacher or even a small group of teachers to offer an equivalent experience.  When I was in high school, I took 4 years of language, 4 years of math up to calculus, and electives in biology as well as chemistry and physics classes specifically geared to kids who were college bound with an interest in science.  My parents were articulate, intelligent people who believed in education; but neither of them could've offered any of that to me in a homeschool curriculum.

Maybe most kids don't need calculus or 4 years of Mandarin or to learn to write computer code; but there is value in the learning process outside of the knowledge and it needs to be acknowledged and respected.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Thank you for so very eloquently summarizing the issue.  Drives me crazy when so many homeschoolers pretend that their kids are just as well educated as children attending conventional classes.

In addition, many, if not most, homeschoolers do not take advantage of opportunities for their kids to attend classes with a group of diverse peers; kids of different ethnicities, religious beliefs, family composition.  Their kids are isolated in a bubble and have virtually no coping skills when faced with others who are not exactly like them.

we are in an area big on home schooling. some parents do it well and some do not. we know many who do co-ops for the higher levels of math and science and their kids can opt in to local schools for sports and music and they do. also many do dual enrollment for homeschool/high school and free college classes. they, for the most part, are all anti public school/keep our kids safe from public school evil or temptation. but some actually want their kids to have an education.

makes me sad for the kids who are being cheated out of so many things

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 7

Well. I peeked on the Bringing Up Bates forum, and now know what Joshley must be doing in his free time. All the grown Bates girls are sex kittens, but Carlin (I even remembered her name) is the Kitty Queen. She posts pix of herself twirling her hair, spinning in dresses, posing in bed, wearing tight jeans, etc. I'm sure Joshley is having a blast following her on his phone....and can excuse it away that he's keeping up with his buddies, the Bates. That Joshley is sly. (tm Jessa)  And he's probably pissed at JB for not waiting a few years to add Carlin to his Fundy Bride shopping cart.

on Anna and the homeschooling - maybe she only does a few hours a day because after that they are at the TTH and Jana gives them an art lesson for TeeVee or Bin teaches them.

While Anna parks her butt on a couch with the howlers and does no work

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm guessing she was raised in a more structured atmosphere and I believe she took some online college courses in Early Ed.

Four years of it.  She managed to get an online degree, but from some fundie source so there is that.

• Useful 4
16 minutes ago, SMama said:

Was Anna pregnant with Meredith when Joshgate 2 happened? Maybe Anna clung to that pregnancy and birth to anchor her tumultuous life. 

Yep. Gave birth the day 19K&C was canceled. Josh was in Jesus Jail while Meredith was an infant. 

I've had similar thoughts as well. Meredith is the most photogenic of the 6 (so far) so that may be why she's on the 'gram the most, but give it a few years when there's a dozen M&Ms and we'll know for sure. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Was Anna pregnant with Meredith when Joshgate 2 happened? Maybe Anna clung to that pregnancy and birth to anchor her tumultuous life. 

Joshgate 1 came out in May 2015 and Joshgate 2 came out in July 2015. Anna was third trimester pregnant with Meredith when both Joshgates went public. She gave birth the day the original show was canceled. Then Meredith was a baby while Josh was in Jesus Jail. 

I think Meredith is just young and cute and that's why we get photos of her. I doubt she's the favorite. When Maryella is Meredith's age, we'll probably get more photos of Maryella. Also Meredith is happy and photogenic. 

• Love 5

When Meredith is older, and in college, she'll write a book. Not a book with spite and malice, but a book describing how cults like that of her family can happen, the impact of them and how she left.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

To be fair to Anna, she actually takes the kids' education a little more seriously than the School of the Dining Room Table. I'm guessing she was raised in a more structured atmosphere and I believe she took some online college courses in Early Ed.

From what I understand, homeschooling is not an all day event. Its one or two hours a day. That leaves an unemployed parent plenty of time to do other stuff, or nothing at all.

How could one or two hours a day possibly be enough?

• Love 7
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

There is also the point that many of us took a lot of varied courses in middle school and high school and it is impossible for a single homeschool teacher or even a small group of teachers to offer an equivalent experience.  When I was in high school, I took 4 years of language, 4 years of math up to calculus, and electives in biology as well as chemistry and physics classes specifically geared to kids who were college bound with an interest in science.  My parents were articulate, intelligent people who believed in education; but neither of them could've offered any of that to me in a homeschool curriculum.

Maybe most kids don't need calculus or 4 years of Mandarin or to learn to write computer code; but there is value in the learning process outside of the knowledge and it needs to be acknowledged and respected.

Exactly. In high school I took AP French, physics, psychology, honors English, calculus, etc. no way Anna or the other will be able to handle that.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Exactly. In high school I took AP French, physics, psychology, honors English, calculus, etc. no way Anna or the other will be able to handle that.

It is not even that these homeschool teachers such as Anna couldn't handle high school level college prep courses; it's that their kids are not going to get strong enough basic education in math or science or language that they'd ever be able to take a college prep level high school course.  A kid without a strong foundation in math including pre-algebra is never going to be able to get to the point where they'd be able to do high school level algebra or geometry or analysis, let alone calculus.  A kid who doesn't have a good understanding of English vocabulary and grammar isn't going to be able to successfully tackle a foreign language.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9

At this point what would make the most sense is to open up an actual Duggar Academy for all the kids and grandkids to go to...I’m sure other nearby lunatics would also be happy to sign their kids up.

I don’t know if I’m happy they haven’t tried to run some “charter school” scam or sad that the current generation of kidults probably doesn’t have the education to even play at a scam like that.

But yeah, there is absolutely no way I could have gotten the education that I got at home — and my mother is (literally) a teacher! Different strokes for different folks but I think the local public school is the best place for the vaaaaast majority of kids.

• Love 16
40 minutes ago, not you again said:

Regardless of the family, oh LAWD I am such a sucker for bubble sunsuits for babies, and smocking too. Hopefully it's comfy cotton. 💗

I agree.  That’s the cutest little outfit that Anna has ever put on one of the girls.

• Love 7
On 8/3/2020 at 5:00 PM, doodlebug said:

Well, that's some beige decor and clothing.  I am obviously a crabby old lady, but I am sick of all these photos kids wearing neutral clothing in a bland room.  While I personally love brown/beige as a neutral, there's is such as thing as too much of a good thing.  These rooms look sterile and dull.  Not the kind of environment I'd want for my children, if I had any.

But--they ARE wearing pajamas, not street clothes, and they DO have sheets on the beds.  That is a step up, at least.

• Love 7

I know we joke about it a lot here, but seriously, how do two basically unemployed people afford all those kids (with more likely on the way)? Is Dim Blob paying all their bills? Even after all the damage Josh has done to the family brand?

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, skatelady said:

What on earth is the point of the hashtag in the PHOTO??

Thank you! Someone needs to explain this to me, too. It’s been driving me crazy.

4 hours ago, ouinason said:

Emphasis on Maryella's name.  Face it, these days hashtags are ubiquitous and people use them everywhere, even when speaking.

That’s not how they work, though.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

This picture is probably from whatever wedding they attended prior to Nurie's. That's the outfit Mere was wearing when she posted about it. Apple don't fall too far from the Duggar/Fundy tree - matchy-matchy.

• Love 2

What on earth is wrong with Anna's face?? I still can't reconcile it with the way her face used to look. What has she done?

And Joshly has fans? Who on earth would that be. They are trolling, nobody likes him.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 16
5 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Maybe it's an imposter. Maybe the real Anna came to her senses, climbed down the rain pipe and took off in the dead of night. Then, Jim Bob and Josh replaced her with a new "Anna", figuring that as long as she keeps popping out babies and gazing adoringly at Josh, the fans will never notice the difference.

This sounds like the start of a good mini series made for TV.  "The Invisible Imposter Wife".  

• LOL 12