Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

So was that photo taken as they were leaving or are Jessa and Ben back from their honeymoon? I will say that it is kind of weird that EVERY TIME one of Josh's siblings (or siblings in law) kisses publicly he has to too.

I think he secretly feels guilty about starting the whole save our first kiss until our wedding and realizing how horrible you end up looking on camera.

Josh has learned to flash some tongue in order to win the hearts & minds of the faithful Duggar-viewing audience.

After all, sucking face has worked for his parents for several years now.

• Love 1

Okay sure but did you frame "self-control" as "instant obedience"? I don't think obedience is harmful or a bad trait to have in children, but using it as the definition of self-control (when it's the exact opposite) is incorrect, and indicates there's something odd going on there. It was creepy what she said and how she said it, and I doubt it's the same as however you instilled or described obedience.

Not that I really care about your kids - on the internet you can find someone saying "my kids are some of the happiest and best kids in the world!!!!!111" and using it to justify everything from breastfeeding until age 10 to using starvation as a punishment.

I didn't frame anything as anything. Neither do I need to justify anything. I simply expected and received instant obedience from my children when they were children. It was a safety measure for them, not a control issue for me. 

Also, how you feel (or apparently don't feel) about my children is entirely beside the point. I'm a little unclear on why you felt the need to add that you don't care about them. We should be able to have an intelligent discussion without attacking one another. My point is and was that instant obedience isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Love 2

To be fair to Anna I don't think she understood that "self control" and "instant obedience" aren't really the same thing. I don't get the vibe that she and Josh are hard asses when it comes to discipline. Their kids seem healthy and normal, especially in comparison to the younger Duggar kids.

• Love 3

In general most "modest" people I know cover their knees, their elbows and their collar bones. That's the triangle they work with. Now, if something hits at one of those points, but is otherwise a modest cut and attractive in all other ways, that will likely get a heads up.

I have some family in Arkansas who were pretty devout Baptists.  They believed in modesty, but I would compare them more to Pentecostals than the Duggars.  Typically, the women wore short sleeve tops, denim skirts, and flip flops.  Their daughter, all on her own, decided at the age of four that God did not want her to show her elbows.  Her parents didn't interfere or make a big deal out of it, just looked at each other and asked - where did she get this?

I don't think Michelle started using blanket training until she had 6 or 7 - didn't she say it was with the twins? And specifically to stop babies from crawling off when you have other children and lots of chores. So it's not surprising if Anna doesn't use it with 3 - she doesn't have to yet. And hers are more spread out so she may not have to as there's no sign of #4 yet and Mackynzie is getting older by the day. It bugs me when people say Anna is a better mother than Michelle because it's not a fair comparison.

"She doesn't have to yet?"  There's absolutely no justification for blanket training, in my opinion.  If you have to terrorize your baby by hurting or frightening it to keep it on a blanket (babies that are naturally curious and whose brains develop by exploration and discovery) so it won't crawl off - you have too many children.  And you're probably an incompetent parent.  Why isn't the house child-proofed?  Why not use baby gates ($10 at Walmart)?  And if you absolutely insist on limiting your child's world and making sure it remains exactly where you left it - get a playpen for God's sake.  And by "you", I mean Michelle and those that follow that abusive method.  I can't even imagine how much that stunts a child's learning and development.  A study was done on German orphanages post WWII.  Although babies were fed properly and changed, they died in large numbers - because they were left in their cribs when not eating or changing or bathing.  That's really no different from leaving a baby glued to a blanket.  Except perhaps that the German babies weren't hit or frightened to keep them in the cribs.

Regarding who's a better mother, Anna or Michelle?  In my opinion, they're not even in the same ballpark.  But I'm not going to argue it.

• Love 9

Yeah, try raising baby boy twins who were "runners". A wise twin mom told me to contain them in public, so at the store I would put them in the cart or pushed them in the stroller with one hand while pulling a cart with the other. Once I stupidly let them walk & they took off running in different directions! At home I bought a big play yard, about 1/2 the size of the room. Blanket training just turns my stomach. It's probably as opposite a parenting style to mine as possible. And yes, they are well behaved, polite teens now, LOL!

• Love 7

I don't ever put my dogs in cages but keep them safe and happy and my house is not destroyed.  I think part of living with kids or dogs is attitude.  Being so uptight can be harmful to both.  And kids and dogs have taught me to be more patient and easy going.

• Love 3

And many of these women aren't dowdy at all - not only Fundy Christians, but wealthy Mormons and Orthodox Jews put a lot of effort and time into looking stylish and modest.

There is a question of taste and environment here as well.

I used to live in NYC, and the Orthodox Jewish women there wear beautiful clothes -- not stylish, but beautiful. Beautiful fabrics (a lot of merino wool), well cut, beautifully draped, and well tailored.

I also do a lot of genealogy research and am in contact with a lot of Mormons (genealogy is part of their faith which is why they maintain their extensive archives). Once again, the people I meet are well dressed. No one looks dowdy, or unattractive, they simply wear modestly cut clothing.

The Duggars, however, look like they dressed out of the rag bag, The layers and layers of mismatched clothing are not attractive. It just isn't necessary to wear multiple layers of clothing to be modest.

Also, it is not modest to wear sneakers to your daughter's wedding, it's just inappropriate. JimBob's sneakers and un-tailored suit were just wrong. Certainly, not everyone can afford a tailored suit, but most men who can afford it pay to have their suits fitted properly. It's not a huge expense for an article of clothing that will be worn for years to come.

And I don't even want to get started on the little kids. People in ultra-conservative cultures in the mid-east where women wear burkas don't obsess about the "modesty" of children the way the Duggars do. Obsessing about covering the shoulders and knees of toddlers is not normal.

• Love 7

Since TLC had to black out Michelle's knees during that waterskiing segment, why don't they have to black out her knees, thighs, upper arms and shoulders in that cheerleader "sitting under the tree" photo that they keep showing? Another example of how lopsided this family is and they write their own rules as they go to flatter themselves.

I still think that's ridiculous, when she can show giving birth on camera

• Love 3

With the way Anna was raised, "self-control" and "instant obedience" are probably synonymous. For example, if I thought about doing something wrong and my mom glanced at me sideways, I displayed some self-control and stopped before I even started. That glance and the conscious effort to control myself would be instant obedience. They're not exactly the same thing, but I can see where the lines would be blurred, depending on how you were raised.

I think Anna is actually very normal. She seems to be light years away from both Michelle and her own family. Her kids seem to be able to think for themselves and are able to communicate their thoughts better than a lot of kids their age. They're allowed to be bratty and voice their opinions when they decide they aren't going to eat their vegetables. Michael carries his own luggage through the airport. ;). She's doing a decent job for any young mother, but a pretty stand up job for a Gothard kid.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 10

I've wondered about playpens. I used one with my first child but not the other three. I didn't use it much even then, but it was surely handy when I did. It didn't seem that bad because it was filled with her favorite toys. It was usually when I was cooking or ran to the basement with a laundry load. I had a better house set-up with the younger three. But I do wonder whether we haven't gone too far from using a playpen while balancing with safety on the one hand and punishing babies on the other hand. Back when people used playpens it was usually in that period when babies were pretty fast crawlers and beginning to pull up. It mostly seemed a place for safe pull-ups. 

• Love 2

Mbutterfly, I absolutely agree w/you.

When my daughter was pregnant I asked if they were using a playpen. That's when I found out that they're obsolete.

Now they use these tiny portable cribs that are 1/4 the size of a traditional playpen.

I'm glad Anna's not doing the blanket training crap, but I can't help but think that a playpen would be beneficial for Marcus - esp if they have more.

• Love 2

That instagram picture of the two couples kissing cracks me up.  I picture Josh saying "Look at us. We're married so we can kiss whenever we want, and now you can too."  Then Jessa says "Yes, now watch us kiss."  And a kiss-off begins.  They're probably wishing Jana and Jinger were there so they could remind them that "we can do this and you can't", like JB and Michelle like to do.  That family's preoccupation with all things sexual blows my mind.

• Love 7

In Elizabeth Esther's memoir GIRL AT THE END OF THE WORLD she talks about growing up with the Pearl training. She was spanked every day for her misdeeds, and babies at her church were blanket trained so they could manage through a three or four hour meeting without being unmanageable. Like the Duggars the did a home based church where ages were not separated out.

• Love 1

That instagram picture of the two couples kissing cracks me up.  I picture Josh saying "Look at us. We're married so we can kiss whenever we want, and now you can too."  Then Jessa says "Yes, now watch us kiss."  And a kiss-off begins.  They're probably wishing Jana and Jinger were there so they could remind them that "we can do this and you can't", like JB and Michelle like to do.  That family's preoccupation with all things sexual blows my mind.

I feel so defrauded.

• Love 1
galax-arena, on 07 Oct 2014 - 5:07 PM, said:

I think maybe in the past, Josh might have stood a chance. He had potential. But he's been spoiled by years of 19 Kids and the perks that come with that. It's made him lazy. I really don't think he has the work ethic or mental discipline to put his nose to the grindstone and pass the bar. 

Then again, stranger things have happened. 

I think it's possible.  Some of the most dim-witted people I've ever met have been lawyers.  No offense intended to the actual competent lawyers out there.

I think maybe in the past, Josh might have stood a chance. He had potential. But he's been spoiled by years of 19 Kids and the perks that come with that. It's made him lazy. I really don't think he has the work ethic or mental discipline to put his nose to the grindstone and pass the bar. 

I think it's possible.  Some of the most dim-witted people I've ever met have been lawyers.  No offense intended to the actual competent lawyers out there.

I think it's possible.  Some of the most dim-witted people I've ever met have been lawyers.  No offense intended to the actual competent lawyers out there.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 2

Okay sure but did you frame "self-control" as "instant obedience"? I don't think obedience is harmful or a bad trait to have in children, but using it as the definition of self-control (when it's the exact opposite) is incorrect, and indicates there's something odd going on there. It was creepy what she said and how she said it, and I doubt it's the same as however you instilled or described obedience.

Not that I really care about your kids - on the internet you can find someone saying "my kids are some of the happiest and best kids in the world!!!!!111" and using it to justify everything from breastfeeding until age 10 to using starvation as a punishment.

For one thing, Anna was talking to a two year old, she was using words that he would understand. There's nothing creepy about needing your children to listen to you when you're out in public. For another thing, you may not have intended for it to sound that way, but if you did, it was extremely uncalled for to compare the other poster to someone using starvation as a punishment.

• Love 2

If you talk about Josh and Anna and not each other then you can't make personal comments to one another. Remember, it's ok to snark about the show; Josh and Anna in here, specifically. It's not ok to admonish, criticize or snark your fellow posters.

• Love 3
Some of the most dim-witted people I've ever met have been lawyers.

Oh, for sure, but I was talking purely about work ethic/discipline, which is a different kettle of fish. You can be a hard-working dim-witted idiot. My point was that the real hindrance to Josh's desire to become a lawyer might not be one of aptitude, but laziness. Mainly, there's a shit ton of reading involved. 

I read the Pearl book, and it suggests a thin, flexible piece of wood,

It's actually a PVC pipe, IIRC. I remember that because when I read the description, it sounded a lot like what my parents used on my brother and me. (My parents aren't fundies and I don't think they've ever heard of Pearl, for the record.)

Edited by galax-arena

Hmmm....my Pearl book say, on page 9, "The switch was a twelve-inch long, one eighth inch diameter sprig from a willow tree."

This is an 11th printing from 1999, and the original was published in 1994, so it's quite likely that they changed some things.

I think it was Jessa's engagement episode where this happened...Anna and Josh were being interviewed and Anna said something like, "a lot of babies isn't a bad thing" or something like that, and then elbowed Josh and looked at him like, "hint, hint."  So....Josh is putting the kibosh on more kids? That would be awesome.

• Love 2

I've heard others in the family do the aaaaand, even Derek.

And another thing: I'm tired of the "Aaaah" at the end of "I'm getting married, aaaah!", "The wedding's in five hours, aaaah!.", "I'm engaged, aaaah!"

Pleeze.

• Love 2

So...Josh is putting the kibosh on more kids? That would be awesome.

When Josh and Anna did their first solo Today show appearance, Josh made a remark that not everyone is cut out to have 18 kids (Josie wasn't born yet) and he remarked that he'd be fine with two or three. This was in an informal conversation with the host before they went on the air and spouted The Official Party Lines. 

I think Josh loves his kids, but has zero interest in producing a child army. Remember, he spent the majority of his formative years crammed into a tiny house with few creature comforts. He didn't have the cushy childhood that Josie through Jackson are experiencing.

• Love 6

I really believe that Josh and Anna have had an honest conversation or two in the past year or so. I think that when they were "courting" and first married, they were afraid to say anything "unGothard" to one another (and in all fairness, they would not be the first married couple who put off having important conversations -- plenty of couples end up in counseling or divorce court because they assumed that "he'd want to have kids eventually," or "of course I'll work and she'll stay home").

I think Josh may have blurted out "I don't want 18 kids!" and Anna replied "I love kids, but I don't want to have 18, either!" and then the floodgates opened and they started talking.

That's my take, anyway. They both seem sooo much happier, and while I hear Anna make "cousins soon!" remarks, I also think there's a little edge to what they're saying -- like she and Josh have a little joke between them.

It also occurred to me that Anna comes from a very modest background, and Josh grew up in that tiny rental. They have a nice house now, and Anna can wear pretty clothes, and she can decide what to serve her family for dinner -- not just what can she afford to make. They can also provide a nice place for the J'Slaves to come and visit and get away from the TTH. As someone who has been there, I can say that it is a wonderful feeling to be able to transition from being the person on the receiving end of kindness, to being the one who is able to offer it to others.

This applies to the Josh / law school thing, too. In the first special, Josh looked like one of the Romney kids: clean, neatly dressed, polite, well spoken. He looked like the son of a politician, and he wanted to be a lawyer or politician (I forget which). Then, as the years passed and JB and J'chelles lives became all about popping out "blessings," and plans he might have had for the future just kind of disappeared. Maybe Anna is encouraging him to live his dreams -- it's something that a wife should do (and, of course, something his parents should have done, but didn't have time for).

"I want to be a lawyer" is a better goal than "I want to knock up my wife as many times as humanly possible so that we can keep this dog and pony show going indefinitely."

• Love 9

I am the one who doesn't ever watch anything very closely or all the way through, but this weekend they had the Jill's wedding on and Anna was filmed at least 4 times that I saw gushing about Jill having babies soon, very soon, providing cousins, blah blah.  I am very aware that the production crew is asking questions and Anna is responding, but she was positively gushing, I tell you. It was really inappropriate IMO.  She also was filmed going nuts about how she loved having kids and wanted more, more, more not long after her last kid was born, at the house in DC.  I just can't get back on her side again.  I'd like to, but she keeps hitting the wrong cord for me.

I thought Anna looked cute in her little black dress and heels at Bin and Jessa's wedding. It seems like it has taken her a while to lose the baby weight after each pregnancy (not a criticism - everyone is different in that regard). Maybe she wants to enjoy looking and feeling good for a while before going through another cycle of pregnancy, breast feeding, and dieting. On the other hand, she could announce a pregnancy tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised.

• Love 1

She also was filmed going nuts about how she loved having kids and wanted more, more, more not long after her last kid was born, at the house in DC.  I just can't get back on her side again.  I'd like to, but she keeps hitting the wrong cord for me.

Yes, I saw that, too. I go back and forth on that, but I think that when Anna is in Arkansas in the TTH, she says what she thinks she is supposed to say. I should point out that I think Anna loves babies, and wants kids, I just think she is finally comfortable admitting (at least to herself, and to Josh) that she doesn't want the 18+ kids lifestyle.

I also saw the spot where she said she wanted more babies and that she had "baby fever," and Marcus was still a nursing infant. That was taped right after they moved to DC, and I think the change has occurred since the move.

I could, of course, be 100% wrong in my assessment, but they both seem to have matured so much since moving to DC. I found them both revolting when they were in Arkansas -- Josh was smug and lazy, and Anna was cloying. I didn't think that either of them was capable of speaking off-script or saying anything honest -- not to the camera, not to each other, and not to themselves. I may be too optimistic about the changes I've seen.

I also think a lot of the comments about babies are now an inside joke between them. When my husband and I left this world, we certainly kept a lot of the language, and we would deadpan using it, mostly because you still aren't used to saying it yet without it's power.

Maybe it's me, but I see a lot of that going on with Josh and Anna. They are sometimes saying the right thing, but with a slightly off time or facial expression that seems pretty familiar to me.

• Love 2

I think it was Jessa's engagement episode where this happened...Anna and Josh were being interviewed and Anna said something like, "a lot of babies isn't a bad thing" or something like that, and then elbowed Josh and looked at him like, "hint, hint."  So....Josh is putting the kibosh on more kids? That would be awesome.

I think that Smuggar having to work more than two hours a day, more than once a week, is putting the kibosh on their sex life. Back when he "worked" at the car lot, he came and went as he pleased; there was likely plenty of Afternoon Delight while the kiddos napped. They don't have that luxury anymore.

Thank heavens for small mercies.

• Love 1

I think that she may just be in that "in-between" sort of stage as far as wanting more kids and feeling as though she has enough. I would not be surprised to see her have one more, but would suspect that might be it.

I know that when I had three kids, fairly close together (just over 5 years between the oldest and youngest), my husband and I decided we were done, but it didn't stop me from gushing whenever I saw a baby. These days I'm waiting until one of them decides to produce grandchildren, as my own "season of life" is way past, but my husband still jokingly gives me that "no" look whenever I get that gleam in my eyes looking at a new baby :)

• Love 1

Reading the posts, I feel like I'm dreaming that I saw her say something about wanting another baby to Josh on the preview for the next show when they're walking around on their little trip.

Yes, I saw that too which was disconcerting. Anna said something to the effect of "having more kids/having another baby -- hint hint". So it made it seem like Josh was the one slowing things down in the baby making department and she's the one that is eager to rev up the engine and get started again.

Interesting, bc if they're trusting God to give them as many kids as He wills them to have, then why would this come up?

My theory is that somewhere along the way after moving to DC, they realized they didn't want 19 kids -- basically what CMR2014 said upthread, but this sound bite does throw me off a bit. Maybe Anna's just saying that for the cameras...?

• Love 1

I'm a first time poster. I just started watching 19 Kids and Counting. I've avidly been reading these forums and reading about the Quiverful movement.

I've read many posters question why women would agree to give birth and raise so many children. I wonder about the men. The women may have to give birth and assign their babies to "buddy teams," but the men have to financially support their wives and all of these children. I have plenty of female friends who wouldn't mind "just one more" baby. Their husbands are the ones who draw the line and say no. I wonder if Josh and the other Duggar boys worry about supporting so many children!

• Love 4

I wouldn't take anything said in their talking heads too seriously, what isn't obtained via extremely leading questions from the interviewer is probably edited into oblivion to go along with whatever storyline TLC is promoting at the moment.

At the very least, I think it's safe to say that Josh & Anna seem very happy with their lives as they are now, and they don't seem to be complete morons so are most likely cognizant of how their own reproductive choices may or may not protect the longevity of their current lives. As has been said upthread, Josh spent almost all of his childhood through teen years in a tiny rental. I don't foresee Anna's potential future pregnancies getting the interminable People coverage that Jill's is right now, so likely not quite the same cash cow for J&A.

I think a lot of the men worry about it.  And there's a lot of anger in many of these homes because men feel trapped by this situation the same as the women do.  Especially when you compound the issue of endless children with things like Gothard rules such as men not working for anyone or under anyone but only for themselves, that means owning a business or real estate or something else that likely requires capital.

Men who take the role of headship and provider seriously often end up feeling like total failures in this world.

• Love 7

GEML, thank you for sharing that mindset. Are the men not allowed to work for someone else? Derrick has an office job, right?

I can't wrap my around why men like Derrick and Ben are standing in line for this life when most guys their age would be running.

Jill is 23 and expecting her first child already. Conceivably (no pun intended), she could have more than 20 children before menopause. Most men would be overwhelmed at that prospect. Derrick looks unfazed.

Also, Josh has been married for six years. Why does he only have 3 kids? Don't they have the ovulation cycle figured out? Not trying to be snarky, just curious.

I wouldn't be surprised if Josh and Anna had found a way to beat the system, so to speak. They've already given in on a bunch of little things in their time together, it makes me wonder if somewhere along the way they decided not to push for "as many blessings as God allows." Even with that wording, they could say "as many blessings as God allows (after we decide we are ready for more and have sex while Anna is ovulating)."

I think that when you get married so young after being owned by your parents, you grow up a lot. And you do that growing with your partner, if you're lucky. I think Josh and Anna have faced some things that have made them question the 19 kids movement and have probably come to a mutual decision regarding children behind closed doors. Whether that means 5 or 19, they probably have a stopping point in their minds but they'll keep saying the company line for appearances.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 3

Josh is thanking veterans on his Instagram today. He'd better be thankful that there are men and women out there who are willing to make sacrifices for the freedoms he and his large family enjoy. The Duggars pay lip service to men and women in uniform by supporting candidates who love the idea of sending somebody else's kids off to fight wars, but not a single one of them has yet stepped up and put on a uniform. (Not that they are required to, but when you go around promoting faith, family, and freedom, it's hypocritical not to be willing to walk the walk.)

• Love 8

Until this past year, Josh and Anna were having children one every eighteen months, if you included the miscarriage between their first and second.  And you can already see the physical toll it's taking on Anna's body.  Most doctors will tell you that 18 months just isn't long enough for a body to recover between births for most women, and would prefer to see two to two and a half years, even if you plan to have a large family (which I have no problem with people doing.)

But I do think that they have figured out that life can be something more.  I think they will have more children -- I actually foresee quite a few more, given how young they are and Anna's personality as a natural nurturer.  But spread out over the course of 15 more years, three to five more children won't seem like such a huge undertaking.

I wouldn't be surprised if Josh and Anna had found a way to beat the system, so to speak. They've already given in on a bunch of little things in their time together, it makes me wonder if somewhere along the way they decided not to push for "as many blessings as God allows." Even with that wording, they could say "as many blessings as God allows (after we decide we are ready for more and have sex while Anna is ovulating)."

I think that when you get married so young after being owned by your parents, you grow up a lot. And you do that growing with your partner, if you're lucky. I think Josh and Anna have faced some things that have made them question the 19 kids movement and have probably come to a mutual decision regarding children behind closed doors. Whether that means 5 or 19, they probably have a stopping point in their minds but they'll keep saying the company line for appearances.

Is that allowed? It is like the Catholic-endorsed rhythm method?

TLC is rerunning the Josh and Anna "Courtship, Engagement and Wedding" episodes right now.  Gag.

Josh keeps saying, "Uohhh," like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, and Anna does some sort of bizarre cocking of her head.  She has certainly worked on, and improved, the image she presents on television.  I think she is as much of an attention seeker as Jill.

Is that allowed? It is like the Catholic-endorsed rhythm method?

I'm no Gothard expert, but in the early '90s my husband attended an ultraconservative seminary where a lot of the students and their families were Gothardites and/or Quiverfull types. We sort of flirted with the movement for a time, but we had a few close friends and a lot of acquaintances who were pretty gung-ho. Most of them had a conviction against using artificial birth control, but many used Natural Family Planning to some degree or another, if only to space out the pregnancies a bit so they weren't having a baby a year. A lot of them would also continue breastfeeding for as long as it continued to delay their periods. I think their viewpoint was that the pill would be closing the door on God's involvement, but if they were just avoiding sex during peak ovulation times, God could still intervene if he chose. We never met a single couple that was going out of their way to have as many babies as possible. In my experience, that's just a Mechelle thing. 

(P. S. We're believers, but we're not longer ultraconservative; in fact, that seminary experience was what set us on the road to liberalism. My husband always gives a disclaimer when he's asked where he went to seminary, and he jokes that they wouldn't want to claim him now, either.)

Edited by Portia
  • Love 5

How could Anna say that she and Smuggar were trying to get pregnant with Marcus? (She said this during the Duggars Do Asia Shitshow). I thought you didn't try to have a baby. God just chooses to in-pregnant you with one when he sees fit. 

I wonder if there is any concern from Josh and Anna that if they don't continue to "speak the speak' they may lose what little relevance they have in his job with FRC. If he starts talking about smaller families and other less "ultra-fundie' ideas, he will lose the one benefit he has which is a face in the fundie community. It's not like he has an education or training in lobbying or other really useful skills. So they may be changing their ideas behind closed doors but I'd be surprised to start hearing anything outward about that. It's not like anyone is going to say 'you only have 3 kids - why aren't you pregnant again' but if they say 'hey we don't want anymore and are making sure we don't have any' it won't sit well with the one group who might listen to his political advice.

How did I miss that one? You mean that Josh is "finger lickin' good"?

Eww... so glad I'm not having fried chicken for dinner :-)