Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 1/31/2020 at 4:42 PM, Moose135 said:

In my prior life in a newspaper advertising department, I was in the group that handled the inserts that go into the paper. We received a complaint once from a reader because an insert from a pool place included a photo (maybe 3" square) of a hot tub, with a man and woman in the tub. He complained that they weren't wearing wedding rings, and we were promoting promiscuous behavior. Even with a magnifying glass, it was hard to see their hands clearly enough to tell, but he wrote to us complaining about it. Those were some of the things I had to deal with back then.

I first read this as "insects" instead of "inserts." So puzzled.

To quote the late, great, Marvin Zindler from Houston, it's hell to get old!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/13/2020 at 5:01 PM, spiderpig said:

Apologies to Matthew McConnehey fans, but I can't stand him.  Now he's all over the place in Lincoln ads (like he'd propel me to buy a Lincoln).  But the latest with him in the arctic like an escaped serial killer whistling the Andy Griffith theme makes my skin crawl.

It's on all the time.

I never thought anything could make me hate the Andy Griffith theme, but this commercial come very dang close.  It's on nearly every commercial break during some college basketball games, and I mute it every time.  

I had heard about his lack of personal hygiene before as well.  One of his co-start, years ago and I think it was Kate Hudson (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was a blond!) begged him on set to use deodorant, and even brought some "natural" deodorants for him to try.  If I recall, nada.  He just smelled throughout. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I never thought anything could make me hate the Andy Griffith theme, but this commercial come very dang close.  It's on nearly every commercial break during some college basketball games, and I mute it every time.  

I had heard about his lack of personal hygiene before as well.  One of his co-start, years ago and I think it was Kate Hudson (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was a blond!) begged him on set to use deodorant, and even brought some "natural" deodorants for him to try.  If I recall, nada.  He just smelled throughout. 

He is just so icky.  And when he first appeared on the scene they were touting him as the next Paul Newman.  As if.

I really expect him to be hauling body parts in black trash bags out of that Lincoln.  It is CREEPY!!!

• LOL 5
On 1/31/2020 at 2:42 PM, Moose135 said:

In my prior life in a newspaper advertising department, I was in the group that handled the inserts that go into the paper. We received a complaint once from a reader because an insert from a pool place included a photo (maybe 3" square) of a hot tub, with a man and woman in the tub. He complained that they weren't wearing wedding rings, and we were promoting promiscuous behavior. Even with a magnifying glass, it was hard to see their hands clearly enough to tell, but he wrote to us complaining about it. Those were some of the things I had to deal with back then.

I like how he put so much thought into it but it didn't occur to him that they might have taken off their rings to go in the water.

• Love 4

My current pet hate as far as commercials go is the Trivago one with the smug woman guest gloating about her 5% discount (with free wifi)  until she hears how much less Trivago guy is paying for his room (with free wifi).  Aside from all else that I hate in what world are all rooms in any given hotel ever going to always be the exact same price no matter how you book?  You get a suite, or a top floor or whatever you're going to pay more.  In this commercial neither of the two ninnies at the check-in desk know what kind of room the other one got.  I don't think I'd overthink this one so much if it wasn't on constantly!

• Love 6

The Trivago ad with the different room rates is stupid, but the Trivago guy can do no wrong in my book because I think he's HOT!

It amused me when we were in Italy several years ago, and they had a Trivago guy who was not nearly as good looking.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

My current pet hate as far as commercials go is the Trivago one with the smug woman guest gloating about her 5% discount (with free wifi)  until she hears how much less Trivago guy is paying for his room (with free wifi).  Aside from all else that I hate in what world are all rooms in any given hotel ever going to always be the exact same price no matter how you book?  You get a suite, or a top floor or whatever you're going to pay more.  In this commercial neither of the two ninnies at the check-in desk know what kind of room the other one got.  I don't think I'd overthink this one so much if it wasn't on constantly!

I also hate that one.  The price of a hotel room is every changing based on so many different factors that no two people ever pay the same rate per night for identical rooms  (rooms blocked for weddings, etc excepted).  Which website the room is listed on is at the bottom of the list.  When you booked is a huge factor in the price, but that is left out in all of the Trivago commercials.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I'm not quite sure why she gets SO VERY ANGRY over about a $25 difference. Like, reel it in, lady, you're gonna bust a vein.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I'm not quite sure why she gets SO VERY ANGRY over about a $25 difference. Like, reel it in, lady, you're gonna bust a vein.

Agreed, also not sure what's so wonderful about a 5% discount.  Wow.  So a room that costs normally $125 is now about 6 bucks cheaper?  Nice to pay less of course but that's not such a big savings that it justifies the gloating!

• Love 4

Is the actress in the above mentioned Trivago ad the same as the one in the new Limu Emu ad where the guy is telling for her to take his hand he can save her (money)?  Her hair is dark but she seems to have the same shocked expressions.  iSpot.tv did not list the name of the actress in either ad.

4 hours ago, elle said:

Is the actress in the above mentioned Trivago ad the same as the one in the new Limu Emu ad where the guy is telling for her to take his hand he can save her (money)?  Her hair is dark but she seems to have the same shocked expressions.  iSpot.tv did not list the name of the actress in either ad.

As far as I can tell, it's not the same woman, though I do enjoy that she rolls the window up at the end of the ad, because her expression is saying, Who is this lunatic and why is he riding around town with an emu?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

(In the voice of Ricky Ricardo):  Someone needs to "splain" to me the Princess Cruise commercial where they play "White Rabbit" and the female passenger seems to be on a magic mushroom trip.  What is the cruise line trying to say?  I've never been on a cruise, but I hear a lot of stories about mass foodborne illnesses, people disappearing off of ships, people "falling" off of ships, and other disasters.  I can go to the mall for similar experiences for less money.

AAz1s9R.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

(In the voice of Ricky Ricardo):  Someone needs to "splain" to me the Princess Cruise commercial where they play "White Rabbit" and the female passenger seems to be on a magic mushroom trip.  What is the cruise line trying to say?  I've never been on a cruise, but I hear a lot of stories about mass foodborne illnesses, people disappearing off of ships, people "falling" off of ships, and other disasters.  I can go to the mall for similar experiences for less money.

AAz1s9R.jpg

I believe that ad is for Celebrity Cruises, not Princess. It stands out to me because Celebrity Cruises is also "the proud sponsor" of 2 PBS cooking shows I watch - Simply Ming and A Moveable Feast. From their short ads at the beginning or end of the shows, you'd never know it was the same company. They are very subdued, no music. In one ad, they have the head of their food service talking about getting culinary inspiration from all over the world where they travel. The only thing in common with the other ad on commercial tv is an aerial shot of the ship cruising at sea.

• Useful 1

She certainly didn't get cast because she's conventionally attractive but for me it's not her physical appearance that's offputting it's the expressions on her face.  As my grandmother would say, "a face just begging to be slapped".

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
On 1/30/2020 at 3:05 PM, proserpina65 said:

I haven't seen that one.  I have seen the one where a woman gets to her car in the parking lot to find that some asshole in a monster truck has parked so close to it that she can't get in the car.  She uses the parking assist thing to get her car out of the parking space.  Now THAT could be very useful.

Wait, you can do it without being inside the vehicle? What sort of sorcery is this?

4 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

AAz1s9R.jpg

So I wasn't imagining her running thru a giant garden a la Carrie's special adventure on LHotP?

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The woman in that Trivago commercial needs to fix those bags under her eyes instead of worrying about room rates.

Perhaps worrying about room rates caused those bags under her eyes? 

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

AAz1s9R.jpg

The voiceover at the end does talk about everything being included.  I guess that means the acid, too, right?

• LOL 5
39 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The voiceover at the end does talk about everything being included.  I guess that means the acid, too, right?

But don't take the brown acid, man. It's not poisoned, it's just bad acid.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

My problem with this commercial is that they dissect “White Rabbit” into segments, which destroys the integrity of the song. Maybe it is a copyright fair use thing. I also do not understand the connection between the song and the cruise line.

• Love 1

The Purple Bricks commercials where one spouse 'confesses' to the other that they were wrong about Purple Bricks and they could have saved thousands in commission.  So the other person is mad and the confesser looks like they are about to burst into tears.  Yeah.  Right.

Edited by PennyPlain
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

"I'm a kid, so if I like it..."

Yes, because kids have such sophisticated and nuanced palates.

They may not be sophisticated, but they are (or at least can be) pretty darn picky.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

They may not be sophisticated, but they are (or at least can be) pretty darn picky.

Yes but they're picky about things like raw vegetables, fish, cooked vegetables and anything vaguely healthy. The things they do like are things like pink slime (chicken nuggets) pizza and, apparently buttered noodles. Bland, flavorless foods and sweets. I'm not going to take culinary advice from someone who thinks salmon is vomit inducing.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I'm with all of those that can't stand Matthew McConnehey.  Every time he comes on my TV I yell, "Damn he's a greasy MFer!" It always cracks my husband up.  I'm a Texan with the drawwwlll, but MM's "S" sounds drive me batty.  He just plain squicks me out.

One little tidbit about MM's mom.  My parents live in a retirement community near Austin and MM's mom lives there, too.  My mom has played bridge with her a few times and she brags about how her husband died of a HA while they were having sex and she loves to show off her 70 something bikini bod(props to anyone that has the guts to show their bod at any age but the old folks down there think she needs to cover up! LOL) so MM doesn't fall far from the tree when it comes to strangeness. 

Also, he has just been appointed the "Minister of something" at U. of Texas, my rival school, which seems quite hilarious.  Too lazy to look up the actual title.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Raiderred said:

'm with all of those that can't stand Matthew McConnehey.

I'm kind of neutral on him (hated him in Contact, thought he was good in Dallas Buyer's Club). But every time one of those Lincoln ads comes on, with him being spacey and useless, my husband says "Get a REAL JOB!"

• LOL 7
26 minutes ago, Raiderred said:

I'm with all of those that can't stand Matthew McConnehey.  Every time he comes on my TV I yell, "Damn he's a greasy MFer!" It always cracks my husband up.  I'm a Texan with the drawwwlll, but MM's "S" sounds drive me batty.  He just plain squicks me out.

One little tidbit about MM's mom.  My parents live in a retirement community near Austin and MM's mom lives there, too.  My mom has played bridge with her a few times and she brags about how her husband died of a HA while they were having sex and she loves to show off her 70 something bikini bod(props to anyone that has the guts to show their bod at any age but the old folks down there think she needs to cover up! LOL) so MM doesn't fall far from the tree when it comes to strangeness. 

Also, he has just been appointed the "Minister of something" at U. of Texas, my rival school, which seems quite hilarious.  Too lazy to look up the actual title.

Sounds like the boy didn't have any raising.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/4/2020 at 2:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

The realtime PSA of its day! I grew up hearing about Woodstock and not understanding what the significance of a bunch of hippies at a concert was. When I watched some documentaries as an adult, I got it, but the announcement about the brown acid was hilarious to me in a way that I still question. Don't take the brown acid, man. Why is that so funny?

For the record, I am not on acid.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Sounds like the boy didn't have any raising.

That sounds like something out of the series of Greater Tuna plays. 😊

Topic? I have a hot, hot hate for the AT&T Internet commercials with the mild mannered nerd serial killer screaming at his Alexis-type device to play smooth jazz playlist while it replies that there is no internet connection. Is this the low to which AT&T has sunk? "Hey out there, we will make sure that you have the right mood music while you commit a crime worthy of an episode of Criminal Minds!"

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

The commercial for the new HIV prep drug, Descovy, annoy the hell out of me.  Specifically the bit where one of the actors says that it hasn't been tested on people who were assigned "female" at birth.  No, you mean people born female.  The actual biological sex they were born as.  Because all but small percentage of people were born either male or female.  It's not like gender, which is cultural and something you can be assigned, it's a biological fact.

So basically this drug hasn't been tested for anyone who was born female, regardless of how they might identify now.  Just say that.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes but they're picky about things like raw vegetables, fish, cooked vegetables and anything vaguely healthy. The things they do like are things like pink slime (chicken nuggets) pizza and, apparently buttered noodles. Bland, flavorless foods and sweets. I'm not going to take culinary advice from someone who thinks salmon is vomit inducing.

I think salmon is vomit inducing.  And all other seafood as well.  But I do eat most other foods, so I'm okay, right?

But yeah, kids are known to be picky about eating anything remotely sophisticated, exotic or healthy, and thus I'm not taking culinary advice from them.  Hell, I wouldn't take culinary advice from the me I was when I was a child 'cuz I used to eat peanut butter sandwiches with individually wrapped American cheese slices on them.  (If I could do the emoji for vomiting, it would be appropriate as heck here.)

• LOL 5
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think salmon is vomit inducing.  And all other seafood as well.  But I do eat most other foods, so I'm okay, right?

But yeah, kids are known to be picky about eating anything remotely sophisticated, exotic or healthy, and thus I'm not taking culinary advice from them.  Hell, I wouldn't take culinary advice from the me I was when I was a child 'cuz I used to eat peanut butter sandwiches with individually wrapped American cheese slices on them.  (If I could do the emoji for vomiting, it would be appropriate as heck here.)

I was definitely NOT  a picky eater. I would  eat almost anything  put in front of me, with the exception of  turnips (although  I  *loved* turnip GREENS), okra, stewed tomatoes,  and black eyed peas.  But I thought  canned spinach and  canned  asparagus were  wonderful,  so yeah, I had the tastebuds of a raccoon.  (When I discovered  fresh asparagus and  spinach as an adult, I fell in love). 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Hell, I wouldn't take culinary advice from the me I was when I was a child 'cuz I used to eat peanut butter sandwiches with individually wrapped American cheese slices on them.  (If I could do the emoji for vomiting, it would be appropriate as heck here.)

I hardly ever use emojis, and only recently realized there was a button for inserting them, but let me help you, because ewww: 🤢🤮

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2020 at 12:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

And don't forget to ask the cruise ship chef if those mushrooms in the salad are psilocybin.

ETA: Phuck off Domino's Pizza with your stupid new ad that gets aired twice (or more)during each commercial break. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 2/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, proserpina65 said:

The commercial for the new HIV prep drug, Descovy, annoy the hell out of me.  Specifically the bit where one of the actors says that it hasn't been tested on people who were assigned "female" at birth.  No, you mean people born female.  The actual biological sex they were born as.  Because all but small percentage of people were born either male or female.  It's not like gender, which is cultural and something you can be assigned, it's a biological fact.

So basically this drug hasn't been tested for anyone who was born female, regardless of how they might identify now.  Just say that.

There is a discussion about this commercial over at the Stirring the Pot: Controversial Commercials thread starting on page four.

1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Phuck off Domino's Pizza with your stupid new ad that gets aired twice (or more)during each commercial break. 

Yeah, I was noticing that. Domino's is really, really proud of that ad, I can tell.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, InDueTime said:

This Sheba ad. I have a feeling that even if you took the cat out of the equation, this woman still wouldn't receive any parenting awards. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZpfQ/sheba-the-fall

This ad has bugged me for a while. What mother wold tell a kid that fell to just get a bandage out of the cupboard??? While her cat purred on her shoulder?  When he said he was bleeding she said get two?? Please mother of the year not going to be awarded here.  Her cat might nominate her for a "Sheba"  feeding award though...

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

What mother wold tell a kid that fell to just get a bandage out of the cupboard???

He sounded fine and not like he was 5.  I doubt he was gushing blood out of an artery.  My mom probably would have yelled the same thing.

• Love 7

The one that is popping up on my hate list is the Nissan "Modern Boss" ad. It shows the boss lady leaving work with half the employees chasing her to sign or look over this or that. So is this what a "Modern Boss" does now, leaves work without doing their forking job? And if "Modern Boss" means woman then it's giving all of us a bad rap, plus she can't drive she almost got taken out by a truck.

I agree about Matthew McConaughey, can't stand him.

The post on the last page talking about when couples on tv first started sharing a bed, I remember hearing an interview (can't remember by who) that said when tv couples first started sharing a bed one of them had to have a foot on the floor, so even though they were in the same bed they couldn't look like they were about to do something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Wow this Coventry Direct commercial is pretty bad.

The acting is so bad, that couple should probably leave a trail of bread crumbs just so they can find their way back home.   It seems like they are really talking down to their audience. 

Ah, the conflicting  messages.  Coventry  says "Sell your life insurance--- you don't need it!" 

Alex Trebek and  Colonial  Penn say "Buy life insurance--- you  need it!"

• LOL 8

I saw a new one for K Jeweler last night featuring this hideously-dressed man making his way thru a crowd of people holding heart balloons to give a ring to an equally poorly-dressed woman. I don't know why this commercial annoys me so much, but it does!

• Love 3