Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:
13 hours ago, xls said:

The Real Real: Damn I know I have zero fashion sense & I'm not into status shite, but I  wouldn't pay 2cents for some of these get-ups. A couple are okay but most of them are clownish AF!

Read more  

Hideous "fashions".

and terrible dancers, they don't even do "roll 'em up, roll 'em up, throw 'em in the pan" well. I guess they need a toddler playing patty cake. Most toddlers love to do "roll 'em up, roll 'em up, throw 'em in the pan." It's their favorite part.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

What I want to know is if my kid becomes an INDEPENDENT CHILD, how will that affect my taxes? Is she still a dependent? Does she need to file a 1040A? Should we kick her out or make her pay rent? What about her SSN? Should she be starting a 401K?

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What I want to know is if my kid becomes an INDEPENDENT CHILD, how will that affect my taxes? Is she still a dependent? Does she need to file a 1040A? Should we kick her out or make her pay rent? What about her SSN? Should she be starting a 401K?

OMG.  I run for the remote for the SHOUTING/SINGING at the end!  Come ON, advertisers!  This makes me vow never to use your product!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

The Whiskas Temptations commercial with the guy throwing treats off the balcony and the poor cat..... I know it's faked, but still....

Hah! My cat would sit and watch it being thrown, and depending on her mood either mosey over to where it landed and eat it, or turn her nose up and walk away.

• LOL 9
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Hah! My cat would sit and watch it being thrown, and depending on her mood either mosey over to where it landed and eat it, or turn her nose up and walk away.

As do my girlies. Sometimes they'll snarf what I put down and beg for more. Other times they'll sniff the treats --- same treats, same time of day --- and walk away. Cats....who can figure them out?

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Colleenna said:

The Whiskas Temptations commercial with the guy throwing treats off the balcony and the poor cat..... I know it's faked, but still....

That commercial doesn't even make any sense, because from where the cat is, it can't see the guy so there's no way either of them would be able to time it right for the cat to catch the treats.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, janie jones said:

That commercial doesn't even make any sense, because from where the cat is, it can't see the guy so there's no way either of them would be able to time it right for the cat to catch the treats.

That's always bugged me about that commercial!  Maybe the cat is psychic? 

• LOL 3

The Real Real: Damn I know I have zero fashion sense & I'm not into status shite, but I  wouldn't pay 2cents for some of these get-ups. A couple are okay but most of them are clownish AF!

They look like they robbed a Goodwill.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

i upgraded from a Dodge Dakota to a Ram and it’s taken me a while to get used to not using the term Dodge

Woopwoopkitty, don't feel bad. I visited the competitive analysis department of a very large competing automaker last year...they had a section with all the parts of a new Ram pickup they'd torn down. The parts were labelled "Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup"

• Love 1

Speaking of commercials with cats in them, I hate the Subaru commercial with the cat on top of the car.  The scream when it falls off the hood is a stock "unhappy cat" noise (like a Wilhelm Scream for cats) but it sounds like the cat is in pain.  Subaru should stick to dogs. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

That's always bugged me about that commercial!  Maybe the cat is psychic? 

All cats are psychic.  Also telepathic.  And most have a cloak of invisibility, which they're not loath to use whenever a human wants to do something to the cat for the cat's own good.

• LOL 13
13 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

If any of you haven't decided you hate anything with Zendaya in the commercial.....trust me, you will. 

IMO.... she's not a good actress. Pretty? Yes. Talented? No. Sick of seeing her ? Yes.

Is she the one in the pen commercial?

16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Is she the one in the pen commercial?

Not sure. She's in an HBO series called Euphoria and in a Lancome perfume commercial where she's riding a white horse down an old brick (?) street. She's got long frizzy dark hair (Zendaya. Not the horse)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Not sure. She's in an HBO series called Euphoria and in a Lancome perfume commercial where she's riding a white horse down an old brick (?) street. She's got long frizzy dark hair (Zendaya. Not the horse)

The woman I'm thinking has long dark non-frizzy hair.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

The woman I'm thinking has long dark non-frizzy hair.

Zendaya is in the white horse commercial for Idole perfume by Lancome. She was a Disney kid. She still is a kid 19-ish. I think she's being groomed to become the next Beyonce. Beyonce is getting old (30's) by industry standards. (Insert laughing smiley face here)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, Colleenna said:

Other times they'll sniff the treats --- same treats, same time of day --- and walk away.

Unlike dogs, cats generally will eat when they are hungry and stop when they feel full.  If a big bag of cat food fell on the floor a cat might peck at it. If a bag of dog food fell on the floor, the dog would sit there and eat the whole thing. If you throw something to a cat, it will let fall on the floor, sniff it and maybe deign to eat it.  If you throw something to a dog it will catch it, swallow it, then wonder what the hell it just ate.  At least that's my experience. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 7

Current Commercial Annoyances:

- Oil of Olay featuring a young model who in no way looks old enough to drive, let alone need their cream yet - the way she pronounces the word "Beaten" as "BEE - EN" drives me up a wall. There's a T in there for a reason you twit! Stop it or you're going to get your way too youthful face bee-en!

- Perpetual hate for every Liberty Mutual ad for ever and ever and ever, amen.

- The background music on the Taltz commercial is driving me insane because I swear they are not singing real words, just some semblance of them. No matter how hard I strain I can almost catch something like words but not...it's maddening! It sounds like..."Su-me-gi-to-glo-malon..." Arrrgggh!

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Kelloggirl said:

- Oil of Olay featuring a young model who in no way looks old enough to drive, let alone need their cream yet - the way she pronounces the word "Beaten" as "BEE - EN" drives me up a wall. There's a T in there for a reason you twit! Stop it or you're going to get your way too youthful face bee-en!

Thank you for bringing this up.  This is my TOP pet peeve; all the local newscasters are doing this now and it just grates!  They do it in PROPER NAMES, too! Like the name of a town; Lawton.  I'm sure the Lawton family doesn't like hearing their noble name pronounced Law-ENN!

• Love 4

Re. quirky pronunciations: this wouldn't annoy me a bit if I only saw or heard it once or twice, but several of the ads soliciting people who've been 'harmed' by some drug or other start with a man bellowing: AW TENTION!!! If you or your loved ones have...blah, blah, blah.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Thank you for bringing this up.  This is my TOP pet peeve; all the local newscasters are doing this now and it just grates!  They do it in PROPER NAMES, too! Like the name of a town; Lawton.  I'm sure the Lawton family doesn't like hearing their noble name pronounced Law-ENN!

All of those missing Ts have been transferred into the word "often", whose T is supposed to be silent, but apparently not no more....

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 8/24/2019 at 8:29 PM, friendperidot said:

there was a discussion earlier about the So Klean, CPAP machine and I have a question about the ad, is that William Shatner? It sort of looks like him, it sort of sounds like him.

At least I believe William Shatner may wear a CPAP. I have a difficult time believing Tom Selleck is in need of a reverse mortgage or Joe Namath is excited to find out he has free rides to health care providers through Medicare! 

7 hours ago, Kelloggirl said:

-

Ohhhhh, this drives me crazy!  Why has the letter 't' become obsolete? "Buuu-in" instead of "button".

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

I have a difficult time believing Tom Selleck is in need of a reverse mortgage or Joe Namath is excited to find out he has free rides to health care providers through Medicare! 

I know, right?  I keep thinking, “Come on, Joe, the NFL’s retiree benefits can’t be *that* bad...”

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

And Tom Selleck pushing reverse mortgages makes me see red. The only people that can really benefit from one are those who's homes are paid off, have at least $350,000 in equity and may need minor repairs. In the neighborhoods I've lived in, that's an automatic bank repossess when the home owner dies. Even if the house is paid off, they are not worth an amount of money that would be worth their children losing it, if the children don't move into the parents' home on their deaths, they can still sell them for a little something. And in this day and age when young people can't afford to buy a home, the prospect of being able to move into mom's house is a nice idea. And I loved Tom Selleck as Magnum, liked him ok for a while in Blue Bloods, but this ad just sets my teeth on edge. Homeownership is the only wealth building for lower income people and too often the retirees with only SS retirement are the ones these reverse mortgages appeal to. 

• Love 11

Although, if you have no kids and you KNOW your nephew wouldn't be caught dead in a condo in Georgia, it's not a bad idea. After I'm gone, I don't care if the bank gets the condo...it'll be less hassle for the nephew to deal with.  I just hate Selleck saying "I know what you're thinking..."  No, you don't, Tom...because if you did, you'd be embarrassed by the jet black hair. STOP dyeing your hair. Get old gracefully.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And Tom Selleck pushing reverse mortgages makes me see red. The only people that can really benefit from one are those who's homes are paid off, have at least $350,000 in equity and may need minor repairs. In the neighborhoods I've lived in, that's an automatic bank repossess when the home owner dies. Even if the house is paid off, they are not worth an amount of money that would be worth their children losing it, if the children don't move into the parents' home on their deaths, they can still sell them for a little something. And in this day and age when young people can't afford to buy a home, the prospect of being able to move into mom's house is a nice idea. And I loved Tom Selleck as Magnum, liked him ok for a while in Blue Bloods, but this ad just sets my teeth on edge. Homeownership is the only wealth building for lower income people and too often the retirees with only SS retirement are the ones these reverse mortgages appeal to. 

But if you have no money and your kids won't help you out, why should you worry about them over your present needs?  Reverse mortgages are something that you have to look into carefully, weigh the pros and cons and make your own decision.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dirtybubble said:

As someone who loves their personal space this commercial just gets under my skin. BACK.THE.FUCK.UP.PSYCHO!!  What is he trying to accomplish by standing 2 cm behind him? 

What annoys me most is that part where the host turns around and the guy pretends he's just hanging on the porch.  Um, you took one from him a minute ago.  Just man up and say "That's really good.  I'd like some more."

On 9/4/2019 at 10:15 AM, Kelloggirl said:

- The background music on the Taltz commercial is driving me insane because I swear they are not singing real words, just some semblance of them. No matter how hard I strain I can almost catch something like words but not...it's maddening! It sounds like..."Su-me-gi-to-glo-malon..." Arrrgggh!

They actually are - it is a real song.  When the commercial first came out, I listened very carefully and googled what words I could understand, because it bothered me too.  It's a song about ships (kind-of as a metaphor for lost love), and I have no clue what ships passing or coming in (even as a metaphor for people/lost love) has to do with psoriasis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtp72RnFaRU

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

And WHY did they change the name?  Carnation Instant Breakfast was a great name!

And a great song! 

🎵 Carnation Instant Breakfaaaaasssssst...
You're gonna love it in an instant! 🎵

• Love 7

I have a difficult time believing Tom Selleck is in need of a reverse mortgage or Joe Namath is excited to find out he has free rides to health care providers through Medicare! 

To be fair, as far as I can recall, neither Tom nor Joe is claiming to be the beneficiaries of reverse mortgages or Medicare. They were just chosen to tell us about those things because the ad agency pegs them as trustworthy mouthpieces older folks will listen to.

(Agreed about the black hair dye Tom Selleck is using, though. Yikes.)

And WHY did they change the name?  Carnation Instant Breakfast was a great name!

Because the word "instant" has negative connotations in this day and age, suggesting cheap and unhealthy. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Maybe because they thought if had Essential in its name people would believe it was essential to a good breakfast.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

My whole family had Instant Breakfast every day.  Quick and easy and delicious, too.  It performed as advertised. I think it was the equivalent of Boost.

Just now, Brattinella said:

My whole family had Instant Breakfast every day.  Quick and easy and delicious, too.  It performed as advertised. I think it was the equivalent of Boost.

But when I think on it, the added "Essentials" seemed to mean as ADDED to the rest of your meal.   It was meant to be a replacement breakfast, not as a beverage.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

This "dropped T" thing is nothing new (or wrong); doesn't bug me but I've heard it my whole life.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/pronouncing-T

Editing to add that this is not the article I was looking for on this; I read something in an old etymology-type book at some point and I just cannot recall its name!

My Dad took some sort of speaking/grammar course. I remember one urged the speaker to use "explosive T's".

• Love 2

Sounds messy, haha!

I was listening to a podcast a while back and the host lady would sometimes pronounce Ts like Ds in words like "written" or "button." But then she would go crazy with the Ts in other words!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 1

Apparently it's supposed to be a spoof of something, but the OreIda commercial that shows a brat being rewarded with a French fry because she won't eat vegetables just incenses me.  At the end of the day it's still just shilling fries as vegetables.

• Love 5

It has only been playing a few days as far as I know, but the Amazon one day delivery ad with Ave Maria playing is getting on my last nerve. It seems to be playing every hour a couple of times. I love the song, but soon I won't any more at this rate!

• Love 7
On 9/4/2019 at 7:56 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Unlike dogs, cats generally will eat when they are hungry and stop when they feel full.  If a big bag of cat food fell on the floor a cat might peck at it. If a bag of dog food fell on the floor, the dog would sit there and eat the whole thing. If you throw something to a cat, it will let fall on the floor, sniff it and maybe deign to eat it.  If you throw something to a dog it will catch it, swallow it, then wonder what the hell it just ate.  At least that's my experience. 

Yep.  I've seen that look on a dog's face.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4