Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Dbolt said:

I was just about to say the same thing. I have medicines I take once a day in the morning, once a day at night and some I take twice a day. 

Pre-Amazon PillPak would also put in things like vitamins and OTC stuff.  Not sure if Post-Amazon PillPak does too.  Some local pharmacies have started offering their version as well.

11 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Pre-Amazon PillPak would also put in things like vitamins and OTC stuff.  Not sure if Post-Amazon PillPak does too.  Some local pharmacies have started offering their version as well.

I know it is not a difficult task, but I really do hate counting out my medicine each week lol. It is just so tedious and depressing at the same time. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Dbolt said:

I know it is not a difficult task, but I really do hate counting out my medicine each week lol. It is just so tedious and depressing at the same time. 

I hate it too.  My husband has a teeny pill that is so easy to drop, and he REALLY hates it.  It's hard to find the teeny pill.  That's why I looked in to PillPak at one time.

In the past week in the Austin market an ad attacking legislation that would protect patients from getting high bills from out of network doctors has been in heavy rotation in the late afternoon/early evening-starts with a patient  having a heart attack in an ambulance, they rush through the doors of the hospital only to find it empty and close with the dire warning that if this legislation passes hospitals will close.

16 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Maybe she's watching her carbs and wasn't sure until she got there if she was going to eat the bread, or just snack out of the jar.

I feel like this decision is best made before one leaves the house.  It's not the end of the world either way.  And if it is, then...easy decision.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

The commercial for Downy Wrinkle Release fabric softener with the teenagers coming home from a date (which I've seen at least twice tonight). The boy says that the seatbelt got him all wrinkled. I'm sorry, but no seatbelt gets your clothes that wrinkled.

I don't get what the Mom thinks happened though. What am I missing? Does she think the kids were "fooling around" and that's why his clothes are all wrinkled? The stink-eye she gives him clearly signals her disapproval but I'm not clear on just what she thinks made his clothes so wrinkly. Her daughter's clothes aren't wrinkled. Is she just looking down her nose at the kid because he's sloppy?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Dbolt said:

I can also see the usefulness so that caretakers can see if their elderly relatives are actually taking their meds.

I hate Peloton commercials for many reasons, but the worst thing about them is the sweat-dripping-from-noses fetish they seem to be obsessed with. At least one person is doing it in every ad. Why do they think anyone wants to watch that?

Second place: the constant spinning of the red knobs throughout every commercial. I know it's supposed to change the machine's resistance or something, but it just seems random.

Third place: The way the video trainers are always yelling "Peloton!!" out of nowhere as if it were an inspirational call to excellence.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Rough Draft said:

I hate Peloton commercials for many reasons, but the worst thing about them is the sweat-dripping-from-noses fetish they seem to be obsessed with. At least one person is doing it in every ad. Why do they think anyone wants to watch that?

Second place: the constant spinning of the red knobs throughout every commercial. I know it's supposed to change the machine's resistance or something, but it just seems random.

Third place: The way the video trainers are always yelling "Peloton!!" out of nowhere as if it were an inspirational call to excellence.

I can't reach for the remote fast enough. Blergh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 8/19/2019 at 3:32 PM, iMonrey said:

First of all, who in the hell just walks around with an entire jar of Jif Peanut Butter

I don’t know about Jif, but remember the old Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup ads, with someone walking down the street with a jar of PB colliding with another person eating a chocolate bar?  I was like, who does that?(In the interest of full disclosure, I have been known to eat peanut butter straight out of the jar with a spoon, but not out in public...)

Edited by smittykins
  • LOL 5
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't mind mayo, but it took me a long time to get over what Mr. Moses, the English teacher in high school said, "Mayonnaise looks like somebody's had a heavy cold."

I transferred out of that class and into Miss Kranzler's, who wasn't so gross.

My high school had a Mr. Moses, too! He taught psychology and anthropology, though (and probably other stuff but that's what I had him for). He was also the soccer coach. If you got a detention in his class for not doing your homework or some minor misbehavior, you had to run the sidelines at a soccer game (chasing down balls that went out of bounds). After he ran out of games, you got 15 minutes of dusting his large collection of frogs (stuffed frogs, frog figurines, all kinds of frogs) and shadow boxes (made by former psych students; he'd stopped assigning them by the time I took the class) on the finals make-up day at the end of the year for each infraction. I had to go in at 8:30 on the morning of my graduation for one missed assignment (though I don't know what he could have done if I hadn't shown up). Took me that long to walk there...

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get what the Mom thinks happened though. What am I missing? Does she think the kids were "fooling around" and that's why his clothes are all wrinkled? The stink-eye she gives him clearly signals her disapproval but I'm not clear on just what she thinks made his clothes so wrinkly. Her daughter's clothes aren't wrinkled. Is she just looking down her nose at the kid because he's sloppy?

I go back and forth on which it is. I suspect it's supposed to be open to interpretation. Though there is the followup where he is perfectly pressed and mom approves and then as she closes the door and he turns to walk back to the car you see a lipstick print on his neck.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
On 8/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

In fairness, they already had the "skittlespox" ad, so I think they are doing it on purpose. 

I forgot about that one.

The weird thing about that one is that the boy starts shaking his head no before the girl asks if they are contagious. 

But yeah. Why would a company purposely want to drive people away from wanting to buy their product?

• Love 6
On 8/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So thanks to a fellow poster, I discovered that IMDB has a streaming service where I can watch shows from my childhood and beyond. It's free if I watch it with the ads. Which aren't so bad, as there are only two between each break, and they last under a minute.

But.  There is one commercial--by Amazon--just makes me🙄🙄. It's for Pill Pack. You have this woman who shoves her purse with what looks to be at least 15 bottles (her medication, she says), and says she doesn't want to go around with a purse stuffed with bottles and empties the purse and then cheerfully talks about Pill Pack. This amaaaaaazing service provides her with all her tablets in one small pack! When she tears one open and dumps the pills in her palm, I was expecting to see 10 pills at least, one to go with each bottle that she showed us that she stuffed in her purse. But nope. Just three pills.

And it's "FREEEE." All she has to pay for is her copay. Does YOUR Pharmacy do that?

PUHLEAZE.

If each pack contains ALL her medication, then there should have been 10 pills inside and that should have been revealed in her palm. But then again, I've never seen so many bottles for someone who looks relatively healthy.

I've been watching Franklin & Bash on IMDB and I've seen this commercial a few times too. I thought the same thing about the bottles in the purse. And I also wonder what's preventing her from using small ziplocks and doing that herself? And it would be reusable instead of putting a bunch of plastic bags in the trash everyday.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:06 PM, ams1001 said:

The commercial for Downy Wrinkle Release fabric softener with the teenagers coming home from a date (which I've seen at least twice tonight). The boy says that the seatbelt got him all wrinkled. I'm sorry, but no seatbelt gets your clothes that wrinkled.

Is that the one in which his date's mother started berating him and acts like a maniac that I saw recently? It annoyed me and there was something weird about the ending.

12 hours ago, Aryanna said:

But yeah. Why would a company purposely want to drive people away from wanting to buy their product?

They think they're being "edgy".

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Is that the one in which his date's mother started berating him and acts like a maniac that I saw recently? It annoyed me and there was something weird about the ending.

She doesn't berate him; she just takes in the wrinkled clothes, gets an angry look on her face, grabs the daughter's arm and pulls her inside, and slams the door.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:45 AM, friendperidot said:

But the ads on the Travel Channel are several steps up from the old people ads on H&I, Escape and Buzzr.

...and Retro TV, and FETV, and Antenna TV, and...yeah. 😝

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, Rough Draft said:

Close-ups, so ,many close-ups of sweating.  Disgusting commercials, I change the channel when they come on. 

• Love 6
On 8/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, peacheslatour said:

I once saw a woman on a bus eating out of a gallon jar of mayonnaise.

I am in the minority here...I love mayo!!! Even so, I wouldn't eat an entire jar at once...at least not in public. 😉😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

She acts like she's a genius because she'd figured out that excess moisture causes musty odors in homes. I think that's a well known fact.

I am in the minority here...I love mayo!!!

Me too! I keep my own jar of Duke's in the fridge here at work.

Close-ups, so ,many close-ups of sweating.  Disgusting commercials, I change the channel when they come on. 

I don't mind the latest one with the guy singing along to "Ready or Not" by the Fugees. I like that song. But I hate the fact that it's considered an oldie now.

• LOL 3

There is a long-held belief by many in the advertising industry that any publicity is good publicity, even if it's negative. The ad agency responsible for the Skittles commercials has clearly convinced the folks at Skittles that this ad campaign will get people talking about their product which is the end result they're looking for. I have never subscribed to this belief, but there you go.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I am in the minority here...I love mayo!!!

Me too! I keep my own jar of Duke's in the fridge here at work.

When I make my sandwich I purposely put too much on the knife so I can lick it off...but not in public. lol  I have standards. (says the woman who just licked her plate clean like a dog because the korean BBQ sauce was sooooo good). 

The skittlepox commercial disgusts me like few I have ever seen. As soon as I see it start I have to hit the remote before they show him, or get up and run out of the room if the remote is too far away. 

2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

She acts like she's a genius because she'd figured out that excess moisture causes musty odors in homes. I think that's a well known fact.

hahahha. She gets a participation trophy for trying. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I don't mind the latest one with the guy singing along to "Ready or Not" by the Fugees. I like that song. But I hate the fact that it's considered an oldie now.

I don't mind that particular ad, because the singing along is fairly realistic and bad, like I sing. But the music I used to listen to isn't even played on elevators any more.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She doesn't berate him; she just takes in the wrinkled clothes, gets an angry look on her face, grabs the daughter's arm and pulls her inside, and slams the door. 

But she was acting like a maniac.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There is a long-held belief by many in the advertising industry that any publicity is good publicity, even if it's negative. The ad agency responsible for the Skittles commercials has clearly convinced the folks at Skittles that this ad campaign will get people talking about their product which is the end result they're looking for. I have never subscribed to this belief, but there you go.

Not to mention that potty humor is the fashion nowadays.  I've seen an ad where a unicorn was pooping soft serve ice cream.  Yeah.  😕

On 8/19/2019 at 3:32 PM, iMonrey said:

First of all, who in the hell just walks around with an entire jar of Jif Peanut Butter? I mean, if you plan to have a snack at the park, wouldn't you put the peanut butter on the bread before you left the house? Instead of taking the jar with you, and a knife? 

Second of all, when hundreds of squirrels start swarming around you, it's time to get the hell out. You don't wait for the weirdo guy with the squirrel head before you beat a path to safety.

I saw this the other day and thought the same thing. 

The Liberty Mutual commercial with the emu, and the Chantix commercial with the Turkey who goes surfing or something and then drives home. 

What in holy hell is going on??!! 

20 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

he skittlepox commercial disgusts me like few I have ever seen.

ITA!!!! It went away for a while but now it's back. How can we make this candy more delectable? Portray it as a disease!!!!!

• LOL 5
4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I've seen an ad where a unicorn was pooping soft serve ice cream. 

That's for the Squatty Potty, you put your feet up on it when you're on the toilet it helps things move along.  That ad is insane. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The newest fashion for nails is some idiocy called Skittles Nails. You guessed it, all your nails different candy colors.

48 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

That's for the Squatty Potty, you put your feet up on it when you're on the toilet it helps things move along.  That ad is insane. 

That product is insane. Why would you pay money for something specifically for that purpose? I just use my trash can if I need to. It never dawned on me to have yet another thing cluttering up my bathroom just so I can put my feet up. lol

• LOL 1
Just now, Mabinogia said:

hat product is insane. Why would you pay money for something specifically for that purpose? I just use my trash can if I need to. It never dawned on me to have yet another thing cluttering up my bathroom just so I can put my feet up. lol

Squatting is actually better because then it's a straight line down, but since we can't poop on the ground, getting your knees up helps. 

• Love 2

There is this commercial I see on my phone, IDK if it's on TV or not, but it's for this wine, I think it's like Ruffino or something. This girl wants a glass of wine so the waiter comes over with a bottle. This other bitch who is dancing around takes the bottle and hands it to someone else who pours some and passes it along until there is none left for the girl who wanted it originally. 

Now, they do get another bottle, but whenever I see it all I can think is "oh, it's that wine for assholes". Because they really do come across like a bunch of arrogant twits who just don't give a shit about anyone but themselves and take whatever they want. 

• Love 2
Just now, teddysmom said:

Squatting is actually better because then it's a straight line down, but since we can't poop on the ground, getting your knees up helps. 

I do that, I just don't need to spend money on a special device just to do it. I use my little toilet trashcan to "squat" with. 

• Love 3
On 7/14/2019 at 10:23 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I know this has been posted at least a million billion times before, but I simply can't stand Liberty Mutual spots.  Not only are they on Comcast at least once every ten minutes, they have this smug "ain't we cute?" style that is completely off-putting.  From "do they expect you to drive 3/4 of a car?" to that creepy fortune teller in the booth, I can't hit the remote fast enough.

I understand LiMu (ick) has a reputable ad agency, but are they all on drugs?  Who would respond positively to this drek and put their hard-earned money into their grift?

• Love 10

I think the Buick ads are clever. 

I also like the new batch of Liberty Mutual ads. I think they are funny. The only bone to pick for me is they act like they are the only insurance company that let's you customize to your needs. We've been with State Farm for decades, and we always customize to our needs.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, peacheslatour said:

I once saw a woman on a bus eating out of a gallon jar of mayonnaise.

THat, my friend, is a perfectly compact picture of the culmination of MANY bad decisions made in that person's life. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I also like the new batch of Liberty Mutual ads. I think they are funny. The only bone to pick for me is they act like they are the only insurance company that let's you customize to your needs. We've been with State Farm for decades, and we always customize to our needs.

I loathe them, and you raise a good point about their disguising totally generic claims as unique. (Which is but one source of my loathing.) When you think about it, other insurance companies don't really do that. Allstate focuses on the superior protection they'll give you because of their huge size, State Farm leverages their unparalleled network of neighborhood offices, Geico talks about saving you money compared to your current insurance, Progressive talks about the ease of buying their insurance online, Esurance kind of owns the "we make it incredibly simple because you don't want to have to think about insurance" category, Farmers is all about their assurance that they'll cover you no matter how weird your claim, etc. They all at least offer something that they can legitimately claim to be better at. Liberty's total reliance on gimmickry (and thievery of other insurance companies' devices, like the a-cappella jingle from Farmers and the animal from Geico) at the expense of an actual marketing strategy just exposes their utter poverty of ideas.

• Love 18

@Uncle JUICE I laughed out loud, literally out loud here in my office, for minutes at your re-edited Buick commercial. 

My latest commercial pet-peeve is the Claritin spot where the dude is laying on the ground playing with his puppy. Sounds sweet, right? WRONG. He is way, way too all up on that poor puppy. It's uncomfortable how happy that puppy is making him. It reminds me of that line in "The Truth About Cats and Dogs": "People, you can love your pets, but don't LOVE your pets." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:
  • A couple comes out of a restaurant to a valet, who hands them the keys and says "Here's your Buick, sir," and the guy responds "actually, THAT's my Buick." They delete the part where the valet says "Did I just hand you a set of car keys with the same number on the key as on the ticket you fucking gave me? Do you understand how valet parking works? You give me a numbered tag. I take that tag, match the number to the key, go to the corresponding parking space, put those keys in your car, drive your car here, and you fucking tip. I don't really give a shit if it's a Buick, a Cadillac or the god damn Batmobile. Get your bougy ass IN the car, which YOU KNOW BY SIGHT, and drive your ass away. Plus get over it, it's just a Buick, it's nothing special."
  • "How are we going to get all our surfboards onto your Buick?" asks an extremely unlikely group of female surfers all holding surfboards next to a convertible Buick. "Actually, THAT's my Buick!" responds one, to an SUV with a roofrack for those pesky surfboards. Somehow no one says "Cindy, let's make sure we go to an ER before you take us home, because Sandra was very clearly concussed during that vicious wipeout earlier...we obviously all drove here in your SUV, and her confusion about which car it is means either her brain is telling her we all surfed from some unknown origin to this point and now have to figure out how to get back, OR she thinks we came in this convertible dragging our boards behind us."

OMG these are hysterical, and so true! Clearly they didn't think these through.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

There's a buick commercial where everyone is so surprised that the buick in question is actually the OTHER buick. I fucking hate this. It's like 15 seconds long.

• A couple comes out of a restaurant to a valet, who hands them the keys and says "Here's your Buick, sir," and the guy responds "actually, THAT's my Buick." They delete the part where the valet says "Did I just hand you a set of car keys with the same number on the key as on the ticket you fucking gave me? Do you understand how valet parking works? You give me a numbered tag. I take that tag, match the number to the key, go to the corresponding parking space, put those keys in your car, drive your car here, and you fucking tip. I don't really give a shit if it's a Buick, a Cadillac or the god damn Batmobile. Get your bougy ass IN the car, which YOU KNOW BY SIGHT, and drive your ass away. Plus get over it, it's just a Buick, it's nothing special."
  • Group of lacrosse players with all their gear asks one kid "How are we all going to fit in your mom's Buick?" Douchey LAX kid says "THAT's my mom's Buick," which is basically a crossover SUV. Not pictured is the kid going "Wow, guess your dad's lawyer did okay with the divorce settlement, because that's like a half step up from a Subaru, why are you so impressed with it? Get the fuck in the car, Cameron."
  • "How are we going to get all our surfboards onto your Buick?" asks an extremely unlikely group of female surfers all holding surfboards next to a convertible Buick. "Actually, THAT's my Buick!" responds one, to an SUV with a roofrack for those pesky surfboards. Somehow no one says "Cindy, let's make sure we go to an ER before you take us home, because Sandra was very clearly concussed during that vicious wipeout earlier...we obviously all drove here in your SUV, and her confusion about which car it is means either her brain is telling her we all surfed from some unknown origin to this point and now have to figure out how to get back, OR she thinks we came in this convertible dragging our boards behind us."
  • "I really love this new BUick," says a woman to her partner on the street as they walk by a car parked on the road. He says "Me too!" as he gazes lustily upon the car, not the woman. She says "Actually, I was talking about THAT Buick," and looks up to a billboard featuring a totally different car. "I knew that," he says. "Did you?" she retorts. Commercial cuts off before he says "WHAT THE FUCK, WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS SO GOD DAMN MEAN?? They're BOTH FUCKING BUICKS, what difference does it make which one you're talking about? Jesus FUCKING Christ I can't take being with you, you're insufferable, I mean SERIOUSLY who gives a shit? God I hate you, I can't believe I married you, I'm just happy we don't have children and I can't wait to get rid of you, you browbeating thundercunt, it's a passing remark ABOUT A STRANGER'S CAR! We already drive a nicer car than EITHER OF THESE!"

OMG!!!! These are my exact same thoughts every time I have the misfortune to watch this commercial!!!!!!

Greatest post ever!!!!

Edited by margol29
I can't spell.
  • Love 6

I think every car commercial running right now annoys me one way or another.

The Buick one where UNCLE JUICE so cleverly wrote down the unspoken thoughts.

The Chevy ones where some dimwit always shouts "Just look at it!"

The truck commercial where everyone's jaw drops open when it drives by because the tailgate has hinges so you can fold it different ways.

The truck commercial with the remote control tailgate. (That one should be on the hinged one.)

Toyota Jan doing her country/western imitation. and her fist bumping one.

I could go on and on but that is enough for now.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

The commercials for Sandals resorts drive me into a rage. My takeaway from ALL their ads is that only slim, pretty, young people are allowed at Sandals. 

My takeaway is that as long as you can afford to go there, once you arrive you can pretend you're young, slim, and pretty no matter what you look like. :-}

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

A couple comes out of a restaurant to a valet, who hands them the keys and says "Here's your Buick, sir," and the guy responds "actually, THAT's my Buick." They delete the part where the valet says "Did I just hand you a set of car keys with the same number on the key as on the ticket you fucking gave me? Do you understand how valet parking works? You give me a numbered tag. I take that tag, match the number to the key, go to the corresponding parking space, put those keys in your car, drive your car here, and you fucking tip. I don't really give a shit if it's a Buick, a Cadillac or the god damn Batmobile. Get your bougy ass IN the car, which YOU KNOW BY SIGHT, and drive your ass away. Plus get over it, it's just a Buick, it's nothing special."

My reaction to that one was "how disorganized is the valet stand that you're bringing back the wrong car when the owner would have given you the tag for his car?" 

Also, who refers to their cars that way? Especially kids. "How are we all going to fit in your mom's Buick?" No kid being picked up from soccer practice is gonna refer to their friend's mom's car by the make/model name. The only time I ever refer to my car as Hyundai and/or Elantra is if someone asks me what kind of car I have. If I have to point it out to someone I'm gonna start with "the blue one over there." Maybe add "the one with the duck on the dashboard."

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

It's an old commercial but the State Farm "she sher she shed"or what she says is annoying on TV and radio. I wish it would stop.

I am sure it was the husband that burned it down.

• Love 9