Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

We're never able to get to the Rifftrax live events - they're always too far away - but our local theaters do them live via satellite.

I'll mention here that ZLiving channel appears to be running a couple of MST3K episodes on Sat. nights.

• Useful 1
On ‎08‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:23 AM, janie jones said:

I think she was saying he's a bad singer.

Yep, that was my point, he's not a very good singer.  He's not awful, but he's what the Brits would call bog-standard.  And the song's pretty bad, actually.

• Love 1
On ‎08‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, iMonrey said:

Yes! What in the world?? They have officially run out of ideas. What on earth made this ad agency think weird, zombie-fied Progressive agents emerging from the corn field would make people want to buy Progressive insurance? This is sort of like the old Cave Men ads for Geico. They have become so enamored of their own ad campaign they don't even think they need to sell the product anymore, it's all about the running gag and it's just getting weirder and weirder. Like they think Flo has become so popular they could launch a theatrical film about her ongoing adventures.

Awww, I actually like that one.  Specifically because it is creepy.  Although you're right, it wouldn't make me run out and get their insurance.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Sorry, I haven't been back there since I was a kid. My parents always called it Pennsyltuckey.

No need to apologize.  PA is a deceivingly good-sized state.  I always used to chuckle when I lived in Ohio, and someone would find out where I was from, and says "Oh, I know someone who lives in PA.  Do you know (insert name here)?".  🤣

Not trying to go off-topic, but just a quick note for the MST3K/Rifftrax fans.  They'll be re-playing "Giant Spider Invasion" in theaters next Tuesday (8/20).  GO!  Seriously.  Just do it.  I haven't laughed that hard in eons.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

No need to apologize.  PA is a deceivingly good-sized state.  I always used to chuckle when I lived in Ohio, and someone would find out where I was from, and says "Oh, I know someone who lives in PA.  Do you know (insert name here)?".  🤣

Not trying to go off-topic, but just a quick note for the MST3K/Rifftrax fans.  They'll be re-playing "Giant Spider Invasion" in theaters next Tuesday (8/20).  GO!  Seriously.  Just do it.  I haven't laughed that hard in eons.

I'm from Vermont.  A much much smaller state than PA, but I still don't know everybody that lives in the state.  I don't even know everybody that lives is my probably-much-smaller-than-yours town.  So, I think it's a silly question regardless.

• Love 5
On 8/14/2019 at 3:57 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought it was less Field of Dreams and more Children of the Corn.

I thought Flo was trying to do a Field of Dreams thing, totally unaware that it comes across as Children of the Corn.

I noticed they're continuing the Jaime 's secret exciting life thing.

• Love 4

This is going to sound mean as hell but that Alert The Cul De Sac woman puts me into chew my own foot off style rage. Her hideous children look like future serial killers and she is so fugly I can see her husband cheating on her from outer space.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

The radio ads where the announcer intones, "You used to go all night without having to use the bathroom. Now you're getting up every few minutes to pee" also irritate me. I think part of it has to do with the fact that I was driving home from the doctor after being diagnosed with a UTI and the ad came on. GRRRRR!!!

• LOL 5

I know it's probably been mentioned on here before but I hate the skittles ad where the guy is milking a giraffe and skittle are coming out. It actually looks like he's jerking off the giraffe. Someone got paid to come up with, produce and put that ad on air never realizing that it makes people not want to eat skittles. That seems like a bad ad if it makes people not want your product.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14

I've been watching Mysteries at the Museum on the Travel Channel today, so I finally got to see the Progressive ad with Flo and the gang coming out of the corn. I thought it was kind of funny, but I know it will get on my nerves after a while. I didn't quite get all of the dialogue so the second time it came on, I turned up the volume and I still didn't quite catch what Flo says about that being how to make a customer feel comfortable. But Jamie's asking if anyone else heard voices while they were in the corn and the end the voices whisper "Jamie". 

But the ads on the Travel Channel are several steps up from the old people ads on H&I, Escape and Buzzr.

• LOL 4
12 hours ago, catlover79 said:

The radio ads where the announcer intones, "You used to go all night without having to use the bathroom. Now you're getting up every few minutes to pee" also irritate me. I think part of it has to do with the fact that I was driving home from the doctor after being diagnosed with a UTI and the ad came on. GRRRRR!!!

Three words: Super beta prostate.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I hate the Captain Morgan Rum ads that feature mobs of people charging toward a bartender or a store clerk demanding "Morgan and ginger" or "more Captain Morgan." It's terrifying. What will they do if they don't get what they want? Add an assault weapon and there you go.

What ad agency thought this was a good idea, and what company executive approved it?

Not to mention that the beautiful song they bastardize has nothing to do with demanding cheap spiced rum. https://lyricstranslate.com/en/guantanamera-guantanamera.html-16

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Three words: Super beta prostate.

Nope, I'm a female...but just hearing about getting up multiple times to pee when I had a UTI and was driving home in my car didn't help. 😠😳😂

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Someone got paid to come up with, produce and put that ad on air never realizing that it makes people not want to eat skittles. That seems like a bad ad if it makes people not want your product.

In fairness, they already had the "skittlespox" ad, so I think they are doing it on purpose. 

• Love 11

I don't like the Liberty Mutual Insurance ads with "Mr. Landry". He says he has "very specific needs that I can't tell you about". This comes off like a sex offender who needs insurance. Are sex offenders their demographic? I know it's a guy in witness protection but that's not what I thought the first few times I saw it.

PLUS, their jingle is so uninspired! "Liberty Liberty.. Liiiberty.... Liiiberty"

• Love 4

I dislike the Mr. Landry commercials too, but I lived in DC during 70s and early 80s, I had to listen to a lot of Redskins crap, I turned into an absolutely, no effing way am I a football fan in those years, but as an ornery little woman, I cheered for the Cowboys when I had to choose and didn't they have a Coach Landry? That's a convoluted way of me connecting up that ad to the subject.

• Love 3

I just have a couple of things I need to unload:

I used to like Enya and her calming, spiritual sounding music. Not anymore.

Next, I would like to thank Courtney from Match.com for going away for awhile. I know she'll be back but for now, I'm at peace.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, eyelash said:

The FemiClear Joie de Hooha commercial where the lady's yeast-free vagina breaks out into song several times at yoga class.  No. Just no.

😁😁 I haven't seen that one yet but will put out a BOLO! Sounds disgustingly funny!

What next? A limp penis (ED) ad with Josh Groban in the background singing "You Lift Me Up"?

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

didn't they have a Coach Landry?

Yes. Coach Tom Landry. I wish "Liberty" had chosen a different name. Maybe Lombardi.

While I'm thinking about it, there's also Limu Emu... and Doug. The film footage looks kind of dark and grainy as if it's supposed to be ads shot in the 70's. Doug's haircut, the mustache, the store windows on the street. I was hoping to see Starsky & Hutch's red and white Torino parked by the curb with a fender bender and Doug assessing the damage.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

This commercial's been bugging me awhile. Why did Kitt Katt replace the music in the commercial with the CGI product spinning and rotating with their original  jingle, and why does it sound like a 3rd generation tape cassette recording? 

On 8/16/2019 at 4:47 PM, peacheslatour said:

This is going to sound mean as hell but that Alert The Cul De Sac woman puts me into chew my own foot off style rage. Her hideous children look like future serial killers and she is so fugly I can see her husband cheating on her from outer space.

That Dairy Queen commercial drives me crazy!  The shrillness of the girl saying "Peanut butter pie Blizzard!" makes me cringe harder than the dog when sirens go off.

• Love 3

Does anyone else despise that Eggo commercial where the husband tries it, thinks it's amazing (sure, Jan), and has to have his wife try it by shoving it in her mouth while she's sleeping?  If someone did that to me, the slapping would be immediate and intense.

Also, who can see some kid doing something like that to one of their sleeping parents, thinking the parents too will smile and exclaim over the item like that milquetoast wife?  

• Love 10

The thing that annoys me the most about the Jeremy Renner/Jeep ads are the concert scenes.

He looks like a bad actor putting on a bad performance of what he thinks is a great musical act.

• Love 8
On 8/17/2019 at 5:47 PM, eyelash said:

The FemiClear Joie de Hooha commercial where the lady's yeast-free vagina breaks out into song several times at yoga class.  No. Just no.

OMG I hate that one too. Are we si king lower that now we have to have singing pussy commercials? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

So thanks to a fellow poster, I discovered that IMDB has a streaming service where I can watch shows from my childhood and beyond. It's free if I watch it with the ads. Which aren't so bad, as there are only two between each break, and they last under a minute.

But.  There is one commercial--by Amazon--just makes me🙄🙄. It's for Pill Pack. You have this woman who shoves her purse with what looks to be at least 15 bottles (her medication, she says), and says she doesn't want to go around with a purse stuffed with bottles and empties the purse and then cheerfully talks about Pill Pack. This amaaaaaazing service provides her with all her tablets in one small pack! When she tears one open and dumps the pills in her palm, I was expecting to see 10 pills at least, one to go with each bottle that she showed us that she stuffed in her purse. But nope. Just three pills.

And it's "FREEEE." All she has to pay for is her copay. Does YOUR Pharmacy do that?

PUHLEAZE.

If each pack contains ALL her medication, then there should have been 10 pills inside and that should have been revealed in her palm. But then again, I've never seen so many bottles for someone who looks relatively healthy.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

There's this weird ad for Jif Peanut Butter with a woman sitting on a park bench, and she has a jar of Jif with her, and she spreads it on a piece of bread. Then an army of squirrels amasses around her all demanding peanut butter. Then a guy with a squirrel head tries to get some peanut butter. 

First of all, who in the hell just walks around with an entire jar of Jif Peanut Butter? I mean, if you plan to have a snack at the park, wouldn't you put the peanut butter on the bread before you left the house? Instead of taking the jar with you, and a knife? 

Second of all, when hundreds of squirrels start swarming around you, it's time to get the hell out. You don't wait for the weirdo guy with the squirrel head before you beat a path to safety.

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There's this weird ad for Jif Peanut Butter with a woman sitting on a park bench, and she has a jar of Jif with her, and she spreads it on a piece of bread. Then an army of squirrels amasses around her all demanding peanut butter. Then a guy with a squirrel head tries to get some peanut butter. 

First of all, who in the hell just walks around with an entire jar of Jif Peanut Butter? I mean, if you plan to have a snack at the park, wouldn't you put the peanut butter on the bread before you left the house? Instead of taking the jar with you, and a knife? 

Second of all, when hundreds of squirrels start swarming around you, it's time to get the hell out. You don't wait for the weirdo guy with the squirrel head before you beat a path to safety.

I once saw a woman on a bus eating out of a gallon jar of mayonnaise.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So thanks to a fellow poster, I discovered that IMDB has a streaming service where I can watch shows from my childhood and beyond. It's free if I watch it with the ads. Which aren't so bad, as there are only two between each break, and they last under a minute.

But.  There is one commercial--by Amazon--just makes me🙄🙄. It's for Pill Pak. You have this woman who shoves her purse with what looks to be at least 15 bottles (her medication, she says), and says she doesn't want to go around with a purse stuffed with bottles and empties the purse and then cheerfully talks about Pill Pak. This amaaaaaazing service provides her with all her tablets in one small pack! When she tears one open and dumps the pills in her palm, I was expecting to see 10 pills at least, one to go with each bottle that she showed us that she stuffed in her purse. But nope. Just three pills.

And it's "FREEEE." All she has to pay for is her copay. Does YOUR Pharmacy do that?

PUHLEAZE.

If each pack contains ALL her medication, then there should have been 10 pills inside and that should have been revealed in her palm. But then again, I've never seen so many bottles for someone who looks relatively healthy.

I looked in to PillPak before Amazon bought them out (that makes me less likely to want to deal with them now).  They break the meds down by time, so if you have morning meds, evening meds, etc, there would be separate packs broken down by time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I looked in to PillPak before Amazon bought them out (that makes me less likely to want to deal with them now).  They break the meds down by time, so if you have morning meds, evening meds, etc, there would be separate packs broken down by time.

Buuuuut--the way the woman stuffed her purse, one would think she took ALL those pills throughout the day! If some were for evening, then logically, those bottles didn't need to be tried to forced into her purse! 

Still, though. 10-12 bottles?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But.  There is one commercial--by Amazon--just makes me🙄🙄. It's for Pill Pak. You have this woman who shoves her purse with what looks to be at least 15 bottles (her medication, she says), and says she doesn't want to go around with a purse stuffed with bottles and empties the purse and then cheerfully talks about Pill Pak. This amaaaaaazing service provides her with all her tablets in one small pack! When she tears one open and dumps the pills in her palm, I was expecting to see 10 pills at least, one to go with each bottle that she showed us that she stuffed in her purse. But nope. Just three pills.

PUHLEAZE.

Yeah, if you take 10 pills a day, you probably just do what my husband did, you have one of those pill trays with compartments for each day and time and you fill those once a week.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 8/14/2019 at 6:24 PM, Annber03 said:

Lucky you! Hope you have a good time!

Ugh, I hate it when people do that. One's intelligence level isn't determined by the type of TV shows they watch. 

@DrNowsWeightScale, yikes, I'm sorry you've had to deal with that. You're better off without somebody that rude and snotty in your life. There's shows/music/movies that aren't my thing, either, for whatever reason, but if other people like 'em and have fun with them, more power to ya, I say. 

True. My FIL is an actual Mensa member, and he used to really like (wait for it.......) "Hee Haw."  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

THIS has got to be one of the most disgusting visuals today. 

It was the grossest thing I've ever seen. I hate mayonnaise with the blinding heat of a thousand suns too. She must have weighed four hundred pounds, huge mountain of fat lady.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe she's watching her carbs and wasn't sure until she got there if she was going to eat the bread, or just snack out of the jar.

• Love 2

The commercial for Downy Wrinkle Release Guard fabric softener with the teenagers coming home from a date (which I've seen at least twice tonight). The boy says that the seatbelt got him all wrinkled. I'm sorry, but no seatbelt gets your clothes that wrinkled.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:37 PM, cinsays said:

Yeah, if you take 10 pills a day, you probably just do what my husband did, you have one of those pill trays with compartments for each day and time and you fill those once a week.

I remember whenever my grandparents visited they each had a shoebox with all their meds, which they sorted into pill organizers (but they brought all the bottles just in case). They kept them on top of the fridge, even long after we were old enough not to get into them. (Side note, my grandmother died 18 years ago today...how time flies.)

On 8/19/2019 at 6:22 PM, peacheslatour said:

It was the grossest thing I've ever seen. I hate mayonnaise with the blinding heat of a thousand suns too. She must have weighed four hundred pounds, huge mountain of fat lady.

Ick. Mayo has an extremely limited place in my life...egg salad, tuna (which I rarely eat), my mom's potato salad...and only enough to keep things together. If I can actually taste the mayo it's too much. I will not get any kind of mayo-based salad at a deli or restaurant because they always look so gross. The smallest jar of mayo is too big for me to get through before it goes bad. (And properly-stored mayo takes a while to go bad.)

Edited by ams1001
just realized wrong product name
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I was just about to say the same thing. I have medicines I take once a day in the morning, once a day at night and some I take twice a day.