Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, mousegirl said:

Anyone here have certain commercials you hate but still watch anyway - sort of a love-to-revel-in-how bad-they-are kinda thing?  Obviously we Primetimers do this with shows - otherwise this website would hardly exist.  But what about the ads? 

I do this with a couple of them.  The first one is the Sensodyne toothpaste commercial with the woman who keeps saying "in THREE DAYS" over and over again.  Blah, blah blah in THREE DAYS, In THREE DAYS maybe over a weekend (which is NOT three days, by the way), blah, blah, blah in THREE DAYS.  It just kills me every time.

Another one is the California Psychics commercial.  It's seriously stupid, but I still get a kind of twisted kick out of watching and re-watching it, especially the woman who says "the reading was.....unexpectedly WARM", throwing her head back like she's about to break out into some kind of corny musical-movie song.  

I'm sure I'll think of more....what say you?

The part that gets me is where the one chick goes "Talking to a psychic over the phone seems a bit...impersonal?" Yeah, that's what's wrong with it.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

She passed away a few years ago.

(I wonder if she saw that coming.)

That shouldn't stop her from giving advice.  Now she can talk more directly with the spirits in the spirit world.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1

During the football games on Sunday and Monday, they kept playing a commercial for some video game (as they do) that used a cover of The Chain by Fleetwood Mac as the music.  But the singer is so off key that it drove me crazy.  This is not a hard song - it has a range of about 4 notes.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

During the football games on Sunday and Monday, they kept playing a commercial for some video game (as they do) that used a cover of The Chain by Fleetwood Mac as the music.  But the singer is so off key that it drove me crazy.  This is not a hard song - it has a range of about 4 notes.

That annoys me as much as the commercial for the University that plays "The Times They Are A-Changin'", sung with someone who can't hold a tune, and has a very shaky voice.  And before anyone wants to slam me because Dylan isn't much of a singer, I still think he sounds better than the person on the commercial.  Not just that, they messed with the chorus.  That song was just meant to be sung by a person, and an accoustic guitar/harmonica.  That's it.  Doesn't require orchestration or heavy instrumentation.  It kills the mood and feel of the song.  And to me, the message of the song doesn't fit with the commercial.

• Love 8

That annoys me as much as the commercial for the University that plays "The Times They Are A-Changin'", sung with someone who can't hold a tune, and has a very shaky voice. 

Still, an improvement over that insipid rendition of "If I Only Had A Brain."

Another one is the California Psychics commercial.  It's seriously stupid, but I still get a kind of twisted kick out of watching and re-watching it, especially the woman who says "the reading was.....unexpectedly WARM", throwing her head back like she's about to break out into some kind of corny musical-movie song. 

Then there's the guy who's all excited because he's always been into fitness and the telephone operator psychic saw him owning his own yoga studio. Dude, you are paying money for someone to tell you what you want to hear.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Then there's the guy who's all excited because he's always been into fitness and the telephone operator psychic saw him owning his own yoga studio. Dude, you are paying money for someone to tell you what you want to hear.

OMG!  Yes, on the "If I Only Had A Brain".  To make it worse, they changed the words and it sounded so stupid.

I too laugh at the Yoga Studio guy.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

"How did she know this stuff?" I'm guessing she went to your Facebook page, you dolt.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

Since I don't see the weight loss sub-forum anymore, I wasn't sure where to post this.  So, since it irritates and annoys me - the Weight Watchers.....er…..WW commercials.  Is there now something politically uncorrect with saying 'weight watchers' or do they think associating it with call letters makes it more relatable or cool?

The one where Mizz O has a bunch of people over to her ranch to eat and shows her and two other ladies powerwalking while throwing arm punches - gag

• Love 9

Sheetz.

Their spot is on at least 3/4 times an hour after midnight.  And I don't like to relax pre-slumber hearing one of the "inventors" talk about sweating in her sleep in regular sheets.  "Sweating" and "sleep" do not belong in the same sentence.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Sheetz.

Their spot is on at least 3/4 times an hour after midnight. 

Oh no!  I don't think I've ever seen a Sheetz ad.  There aren't any near us, and we thought they were some kind of undiscovered gem when we traveled.  On trips, we'd plan our gas/food/bathroom stops around them.  "Do you want to go by the regular Sheetz, or take the bypass and stop at the new Sheetz?"  Please don't tell me I have to be annoyed with them now 😞

Is it like the annoying Sonic guys?  Please tell me it's not worse than that!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh no!  I don't think I've ever seen a Sheetz ad.  There aren't any near us, and we thought they were some kind of undiscovered gem when we traveled.  On trips, we'd plan our gas/food/bathroom stops around them.  "Do you want to go by the regular Sheetz, or take the bypass and stop at the new Sheetz?"  Please don't tell me I have to be annoyed with them now 😞

It's worse than that. When the spot pops up (about every 4-5 minutes), Mr pig pulls the covers (non-Sheetz) over his head and accuses me of spousal abuse for not hitting mute on the remote.

• LOL 3
11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

We used to like Sheetz.  Now we're inundated with them, they're expanding extremely rapidly, and we just don't like them as much anymore.  I prefer WaWa when we can find them.  Rutter's is starting to expand, and that makes me happy.  But if we're in our home area, I hit Turkey Hill more often than Sheetz anymore.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

It's worse than that. When the spot pops up (about every 4-5 minutes), Mr pig pulls the covers (non-Sheetz) over his head and accuses me of spousal abuse for not hitting mute on the remote.

la-la-la-la touching screen to order and enjoying my 3-cent gas dicount.

19 hours ago, mousegirl said:

I do this with a couple of them.  The first one is the Sensodyne toothpaste commercial with the woman who keeps saying "in THREE DAYS" over and over again.  Blah, blah blah in THREE DAYS, In THREE DAYS maybe over a weekend (which is NOT three days, by the way), blah, blah, blah in THREE DAYS.  It just kills me every time.

Ugh, I've mentioned that one before. Drives me crazy! Sometimes I mute it but usually I don't bother. (And I use Sensodyne, too, though not the specific one that ad is for.) Was just at the dentist last week and mentioned cold sensitivity. They did not suggest three-day Sensodyne.

3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Since I don't see the weight loss sub-forum anymore, I wasn't sure where to post this.  So, since it irritates and annoys me - the Weight Watchers.....er…..WW commercials.  Is there now something politically uncorrect with saying 'weight watchers' or do they think associating it with call letters makes it more relatable or cool?

According to CNN Money (just the first thing I clicked on because I believe in in-depth research): "Weight Watchers really wants to let you know that it's not just a diet company -- so much so that it's changing its name to WW. The company announced Monday that the new WW (WTW) name reflects its focus on overall health and wellness, and not just shedding pounds." (That article is from September 2018.) Okay...so what the hell does it stand for, then?

I think what bugs me most is that WW is twice as many syllables as Weight Watchers.

2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

We used to like Sheetz.  Now we're inundated with them, they're expanding extremely rapidly, and we just don't like them as much anymore.  I prefer WaWa when we can find them.  Rutter's is starting to expand, and that makes me happy.  But if we're in our home area, I hit Turkey Hill more often than Sheetz anymore.

I'm firmly in Wawa country here in Jersey but I went to school in Lancaster County and there are at least three Turkey Hill stores in my tiny college town (two of them on the same road). I stopped at a Sheetz once on my way home from seeing some friends out that way a few years ago...it didn't make any particular impression. 

And now I want ice cream (TH All Natural Mint Chocolate Chip is waiting in my freezer, coincidentally enough).

• LOL 1

There's a Google commercial with a home video (or supposed to look like one, at least) of someone chastising her dog (who's hiding in the corner with his head down like he knows he did something wrong) for eating all his treats. Then they google dog trainers. The girls voice gets on my nerves. And I've seen it twice in the same commercial break tonight. Please make it stop.

Edited by ams1001

The Amazon commercial where they play Ave Maria with the band practice gets on my nerves. She does sing it beautifully and the piano is pretty but it's just too intense and they play it every 5 minutes. A lot of people are also complaining cuz it was a religious song. But to me it is mostly just annoying it's too intense and they play it every 5 minutes.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think what bugs me most is that WW is twice as many syllables as Weight Watchers.

Just say dubya dubya. 

19 minutes ago, mrbreezeet1 said:

The Amazon commercial where they play Ave Maria with the band practice gets on my nerves. She does sing it beautifully and the piano is pretty but it's just too intense and they play it every 5 minutes. A lot of people are also complaining cuz it was a religious song. But to me it is mostly just annoying it's too intense and they play it every 5 minutes.

I hate that the dad didn't get the mom noise cancelling headphones.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

@spiderpig, do you mean Sheex?  As opposed to Sheetz, the convenience store?  This conversation has me confused!  Also, if you are female and at a certain time of life, there are no sheets in the world that will keep you from sweating at night.

I stand corrected, O Great Browncoat!  I hate that commercial so much I can't bring myself to mention it by its ridiculous name - like Candyman, I fear it will loom behind me in the bathroom mirror.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I stopped at a Sheetz in Maryland once. After selecting "pay at the pump" and doing all that you're supposed to, it told me to go inside for my receipt. I gave my pump number and the cashier gave me a receipt for somebody's sandwich. If they want to lure me into their stores to buy stuff, they'll have to do better than that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I stopped at a Sheetz in Maryland once. After selecting "pay at the pump" and doing all that you're supposed to, it told me to go inside for my receipt. I gave my pump number and the cashier gave me a receipt for somebody's sandwich. If they want to lure me into their stores to buy stuff, they'll have to do better than that.

I fail to see the point of pay at the pump if you still have to go inside for your receipt (unless it was just out of paper or something). Isn't the point of PATP so you don't have to talk to anyone? (I have pumped gas exactly once in my life; I could be wrong.)

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I fail to see the point of pay at the pump if you still have to go inside for your receipt (unless it was just out of paper or something). Isn't the point of PATP so you don't have to talk to anyone? (I have pumped gas exactly once in my life; I could be wrong.)

You don't normally have to go inside - must have been broken equipment or something.  I do buy gas there because the one local grocery store has partnered with them for fuel rewards.

• Love 2

There's a new ad for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital about a little boy named Corbin who was diagnosed with cancer 12 years ago. I thought at first it was going to be a commercial about St. Jude's success rate treating childhood cancers. But then Marlo Thomas informs us that Corbin's cancer came back when he was 15 and he will probably have recurring cancer all his life.

This is just not fair. No child should have to be worried about mortality that young. Cancer has been putting people in the ground too early for too long. I am grateful for the treatments that allow patients to live longer lives, but I hope one day that a place like St. Jude's won't be necessary. Let us all hope that in our lifetime someone will find a cure for this horrible disease.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

There's a new ad for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital about a little boy named Corbin who was diagnosed with cancer 12 years ago. I thought at first it was going to be a commercial about St. Jude's success rate treating childhood cancers. But then Marlo Thomas informs us that Corbin's cancer came back when he was 15 and he will probably have recurring cancer all his life.

This is just not fair. No child should have to be worried about mortality that young. Cancer has been putting people in the ground too early for too long. I am grateful for the treatments that allow patients to live longer lives, but I hope one day that a place like St. Jude's won't be necessary. Let us all hope that in our lifetime someone will find a cure for this horrible disease.

Fuck cancer.

• Love 14

There are so many different cancers that effectively treating or even "curing" one kind of cancer doesn't mean it will work on another type of cancer. I found out when I had breast cancer, there is more than 1 type of breast cancer.

Thank goodness for those working on treatments and hopefully cures.

• Love 12
On 9/10/2019 at 1:24 PM, funky-rat said:

That annoys me as much as the commercial for the University that plays "The Times They Are A-Changin'", sung with someone who can't hold a tune, and has a very shaky voice.  

GRRRRR...I can't agree more. It's so overplayed!!!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It's supposed to work like that, but I truly believe some places never refill the receipt paper so that you have to go inside and, on impulse, buy other stuff besides gas. I do not fall for that. I get my receipt and go.

As for cancer, a cure would be nice, but in the meantime, can they work on making it non-lethal? Create something that leaves cancer just annoying - like a cold or an ingrown toenail. Same thing with HIV...render it innocuous first, THEN work on a complete cure.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's supposed to work like that, but I truly believe some places never refill the receipt paper so that you have to go inside and, on impulse, buy other stuff besides gas. 

Now that I'd believe!

• Love 3

Two:

Outlast antiperspirant- 'all strength, no sweat'; scenes include a 'new job'(which is a young woman addressing a boardroom), a photoshoot, and a workout session. New job is far more likely to be some poor soul staring at a computer in a cubicle. A photoshoot? Exactly how many people in the audience are models?  And a workout? Isn't the point supposed to be that you work up a sweat?

Keeps hair treatment for men- the one with a young, possibly Hispanic man in a green cap, talking about covering up his balding head. This guy has the most deviated septum I've ever seen on a commercial actor. And when he takes off the cap, his supposed 'restored' hair looks pathetic. Who would cast this poor fellow in an ad about looking good? keeps nose guy

Edited by sempervivum
duplicate paragraphs
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Most recent annoyances:

The battery "EXTRA LIFE!!!" beachcomber dude.  I just want to beat the crap out of him.

Nickelodeon is still incessantly running the "Yabba Dabba Dabba Doo, MAN" commercial.

They also were incessantly running a promo for an episode of Henry Danger where everyone sings about 50 times a night.  Now they're re-running the show.  Yippee....

Pretty much every single promo that FXX runs.  Every. Single. One.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Keeps hair treatment for men- the one with a young, possibly Hispanic man in a green cap, talking about covering up his balding head. This guy has the most deviated septum I've ever seen on a commercial actor. And when he takes off the cap, his supposed 'restored' hair looks pathetic. Who would cast this poor fellow in an ad about looking good? keeps nose guy

I've never seen that one but man that is distracting...

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've never seen that one but man that is distracting...

I see it frequently, and I always find myself wondering what kind of accident he got in to, or what the person who punched him looked like....

• Love 5

Fanduel has a bizarre commercial. A young office worker or real important person in the company, looking at his phone, enters the dark breakroom, he turns on the lights, his co-workers yell surprise (it's his birthday and I count 22 candles on the cake), and the hired goofy looking DJ starts playing music. Birthday boy looks at them with joy, says "IIIIII knew it! I knew Pittsburgh would cover the spread and that's why I betted on Fanduel...." and goes on to explain Fanduel's quick payment method. Next, one worker (who probably organized the whole event is in total disbelief this man missed the real reason for the surprise) says: "we hired you a DJ!". He responds with "Why?" (Still oblivious it's a birthday party).

This commercial is so weird.
1. If he's just a regular employee, why is the office spending money on a DJ (during office hours) or doing anything for him?
2. If he's a real important person in the company and can't recognize a birthday surprise, they shouldn't look to this man for leadership or make decisions. The entire office should start to look for new jobs or try to get this man out of his position.
3. Fanduel should be embarrassed this is their target customer they want to buy their gambling service.

4. I wonder how long the workers were willing to wait in the dark room if the guy decided to go somewhere else.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Fanduel has a bizarre commercial. A young office worker or real important person in the company, looking at his phone, enters the dark breakroom, he turns on the lights, his co-workers yell surprise (it's his birthday and I count 22 candles on the cake), and the hired goofy looking DJ starts playing music. Birthday boy looks at them with joy, says "IIIIII knew it! I knew Pittsburgh would cover the spread and that's why I betted on Fanduel...." and goes on to explain Fanduel's quick payment method. Next, one worker (who probably organized the whole event is in total disbelief this man missed the real reason for the surprise) says: "we hired you a DJ!". He responds with "Why?" (Still oblivious it's a birthday party).

This commercial is so weird.
1. If he's just a regular employee, why is the office spending money on a DJ (during office hours) or doing anything for him?
2. If he's a real important person in the company and can't recognize a birthday surprise, they shouldn't look to this man for leadership or make decisions. The entire office should start to look for new jobs or try to get this man out of his position.
3. Fanduel should be embarrassed this is their target customer they want to buy their gambling service.

4. I wonder how long the workers were willing to wait in the dark room if the guy decided to go somewhere else.

I hate those. There's another version where the guy comes home to his wife in bed with another guy (he passes their clothes and a pair of handcuffs strewn across the floor on his way to the bedroom) and he just turns on the TV and babbles about the app. At the end he half notices there's a naked guy in his bed and just says "hey" and goes back to his phone. The other one I've seen is the guys in a locker room and the one is talking about the app while the other is trying to keep his toupee on while the hand dryer is blowing air at him. Just dumb.

• LOL 3

Anyone else see the Bounty Pirate ad? This kid is running through the house in a pirate costume and then uses her sword [!] to jab her dad right in the backside! Well, the 'horror' of the commercial is that the dad and mom both cry 'NO!' in slo-mo while the dad spills his drink which threatens to ruin the desktop 'puter on the counter but the Bounty paper towel manages to avert disaster at the last possible second! Oh, and to top off the whole thing, the parents seem to have instantly forgiven their pirate daughter with the dad also in costume and chasing her ! UGH! Sorry, but no way should a kid  running around the house carrying a sharp object then jabbing said object into another person's backside should be just shrugged off like that!  Perhaps they should have shown the pirate costume under a sign saying 'Garage Sale' THEN shown the daughter in her room having written 'I Will Never Again Run  In The House Carrying Sharp Objects and Stab Parents With Sharp Objects' for the 500th Time on an oversized chalkboard. But those parents are going to have FAR more serious problems than spills threatening desktops if they do nothing but egg her on doing that! 

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Anyone else see the Bounty Pirate ad? This kid is running through the house in a pirate costume and then uses her sword [!] to jab her dad right in the backside! Well, the 'horror' of the commercial is that the dad and mom both cry 'NO!' in slo-mo while the dad spills his drink which threatens to ruin the desktop 'puter on the counter but the Bounty paper towel manages to avert disaster at the last possible second! Oh, and to top off the whole thing, the parents seem to have instantly forgiven their pirate daughter with the dad also in costume and chasing her ! UGH! Sorry, but no way should a kid  running around the house carrying a sharp object then jabbing said object into another person's backside should be just shrugged off like that!  Perhaps they should have shown the pirate costume under a sign saying 'Garage Sale' THEN shown the daughter in her room having written 'I Will Never Again Run  In The House Carrying Sharp Objects and Stab Parents With Sharp Objects' for the 500th Time on an oversized chalkboard. But those parents are going to have FAR more serious problems than spills threatening desktops if they do nothing but egg her on doing that! 

This one?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/du9u/bounty-pirate

It's an older kid with the laptop on the counter, but yeah. (How sharp is that sword that it made him react like that?) My problem with that one is this: You know what's quicker than grabbing paper towels (which are apparently still in their plastic wrapper) to clean up a spill that's heading toward your laptop (which doesn't even appear to have a cord attached to it)? Picking up the laptop and moving it out of the path of the spill! 

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 3
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Anyone else see the Bounty Pirate ad? This kid is running through the house in a pirate costume and then uses her sword [!] to jab her dad right in the backside!

Ugh, is that one back in rotation?  I haven't seen it in some time.  I hate all those slo-mo "Nooooo" Bounty ads because the idiots should always just yank out of the way whatever is in the path of the spill rather than relying on their paper towel's absorbency.  At least they don't actually show someone leaping in with a Bounty towel to stop the spill while the threatened object remains, but the mere implication that's the solution is stupid enough to annoy me.

I don't specifically have a problem with the kid goosing her dad with the plastic sword, though (and I say this as someone who can't stand kids); he's surprised, not injured, and it's the kind of thoughtless thing that can inadvertently result in a spilled drink.  My only potential issue is if she's too old not to realize involving him in a game he doesn't know he's playing may be a problem, but my deliberately-limited exposure to kids (see above "can't stand 'em") means I am pitiful at estimating ages.

• Love 4

Bastet,

Note that I didn't say what the sword's actual composition was  since I didn't personally feel the sword. However;whether it was extra stiff cardboard, wood,plastic or metal, the kid poking her father with it still  STILL made enough of an impression on the kid's father to throw his drink down! Seriously, the kid needed consequences for running around the house with a sharp object AND,especially,  deliberately poking another person  with said object rather than what was depicted! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4

Eh, that one doesn't bother me.  The kid's having fun, no one was hurt.  Dad was surprised by the poke and spilled his drink.  The "noooooo" Bounty commercial that still makes me laugh though is the one with the dog thinking, "YEEEEESSSSS!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Anyone else see the Bounty Pirate ad? This kid is running through the house in a pirate costume and then uses her sword [!] to jab her dad right in the backside... Oh, and to top off the whole thing, the parents seem to have instantly forgiven their pirate daughter with the dad also in costume and chasing her ! 

I don't recall seeing the version of the Bounty ad that has the dad in pirate costume, but it just screams one thing: time for a play date with Migraine Mom!!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

There's an ad for some drug where the disclaimer at the bottom starts "If you are a post-menopausal woman or man."  I expect it goes on to make  sense, but I didn't read any more because I was busy enjoying a good laugh.

I suspect "man" was added to cover transgender, but who but the lawyers know.

• Love 7