Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I suspect "man" was added to cover transgender, but who but the lawyers know.

Definitely not the Jenner Formerly Known as Bruce But Now Known as Caitlyn despite actually becoming  that age! 

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Bastet,

Note that I didn't say what the sword's actual composition was  since I didn't personally feel the sword. However;whether it was extra stiff cardboard, wood,plastic or metal, the kid poking her father with it still  STILL made enough of an impression on the kid's father to throw his drink down! Seriously, the kid needed consequences for running around the house with a sharp object AND,especially,  deliberately poking another person  with said object rather than what was depicted! 

That kid would have an intimate encounter with the back of my hand. I tend to lash out when startled. Kids running in the house like maniacs is not my idea of fun.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This is an older ad but football season means that I can’t fast forward commercials. I hate the Overstock.com ad where the woman is like “people think we sell overstocked goods but we don’t,” people think that because of your name and that’s what you used to do so either rename/rebrand or shut it!

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 9/10/2019 at 9:40 PM, mrbreezeet1 said:

The Amazon commercial where they play Ave Maria with the band practice gets on my nerves. She does sing it beautifully and the piano is pretty but it's just too intense and they play it every 5 minutes. A lot of people are also complaining cuz it was a religious song. But to me it is mostly just annoying it's too intense and they play it every 5 minutes.

Just saw this for the first time today.  I don't think I would have given it a second thought if it didn't trigger a memory of this post.  But I can see how it would be annoying (as would practically anything!) if it was played every 5 minutes!

• Love 2
On 9/9/2019 at 10:39 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

The only exception to this was the cat we had that, literally, would go insane for muskmelon.  It would cry and howl for us to give it muskmelon if we were eating it. If you gave it a piece of muskmelon, it would wrap it's front legs around it and roll around on the floor in pure ecstasy  before eating it. It wouldn't do that for any other kind of food.

My one cat goes crazy for carrots. He knows when I take them out of the refrigerator and cries until I cut a small chunk for him. He doesn't eat it but he carries and bats it around and rolls around and rubs his face on it. He doesn't react to catnip this way (but his brother does--but doesn't care about carrots), only carrots.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My one cat goes crazy for carrots. He knows when I take them out of the refrigerator and cries until I cut a small chunk for him. He doesn't eat it but he carries and bats it around and rolls around and rubs his face on it. He doesn't react to catnip this way (but his brother does--but doesn't care about carrots), only carrots.

Mine liked to play with peas when they were little. We'd put them on the edge of the table and they'd swat them off then bat them around the floor. We called it pea soccer. I thought they ate them eventually, but one day my mom moved a wicker box in the corner so she could vacuum and found at least a dozen dried out peas underneath, so...I guess not.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

I just looked at another forum where they talked about commercials they love.  The majority loved Flo and Jamie, the Sling TV ads, the Liberty Mutual Emu, and a couple of others that have been discussed here.  I had to rush back to this forum to make sure all of you were still here!  My people!  Group hug anyone?

• LOL 4
  • Love 16

Has anyone else noticed Tony the Tiger got an extreme make-over? Just saw him in a TV commercial last night for the first time in years I guess. No longer is he the kindly, oversized plush toy I grew up with. Now he's all jacked up six ways 'til Sunday and roided out like some kind of action hero. WTF.

• LOL 16
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

We had one that did the same thing with Olives.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

I just looked at another forum where they talked about commercials they love.  The majority loved Flo and Jamie, the Sling TV ads, the Liberty Mutual Emu, and a couple of others that have been discussed here.  I had to rush back to this forum to make sure all of you were still here!  My people!  Group hug anyone?

Welcome back among the sane. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Bowflex can f the f off.  Their ad repeatedly saying "If I can you can".  How the f do you know if I can?  What if I'm paralyzed?  What if I have exercise induced asthma?  What if you just f off?

You know, we're allowed to swear here. 😎

• LOL 8
  • Love 10
34 minutes ago, materialgirl101 said:

Olives are supposedly like catnip to cats - but neither of mine could care less.

That's interesting.  I had a cat who went nutsos for olives. But, only that one cat, and I had never heard of it before.  We would only have olives at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and he just went absolutely bonkers.  The first time we thought he was after the turkey and were pretty surprised it was the olives.  We had to put him in the basement.  (that wasn't cruel and unusual punishment.  It was where his litter box was and there was a rec room type thing which a couch in it).

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Ozempic

The commercials that uses covers of Go Your Own Way

The TRELEGY commercial that uses a cover of ABC by The Jackson 5

The first one actually doesn't bother me too much. The other two - UGGGGH!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

My cats will have to pry my Kalamatas from my cold, dead mouth.... 😉

Apparently, as I understand it, they will.

just to add, my one cat is the sweetest thing ever, but he keeps trying to nibble on my fingers. I'm not done with those yet!

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, chessiegal said:

There are so many different cancers that effectively treating or even "curing" one kind of cancer doesn't mean it will work on another type of cancer. I found out when I had breast cancer, there is more than 1 type of breast cancer.

Thank goodness for those working on treatments and hopefully cures.

I hope and pray one day we'll have cures. I lost my beautiful niece to breast cancer a year ago.

If you don't mind me asking, is your cancer in remission?

12 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I hate the commercials where people are standing on a pier with the Statue of Liberty in the background, I can't remember the name of the insurance company it's for but I hate them.

Liberty Mutual.  Thus the Statue of Liberty.

And, yes, they're all awful.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Apparently, as I understand it, they will.

just to add, my one cat is the sweetest thing ever, but he keeps trying to nibble on my fingers. I'm not done with those yet!

"A billion years of tiger DNA ready to pounce."

8 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Thank you Bastet 🙂 I thought that was the company but then had second thoughts about it so I didn't name them.

Oh, I thought you were joking about not knowing the name.  LOL

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol. Actually when I told our vet he about had a heart attack. Apparently avocados are toxic to cats.

So are onions, and I had a cat that would eat onions my mom would pull off of her hoagie (if the put them on by mistake).  He lived to age 17.  No, that doesn't mean I give them to my cats I've had since I found out about it, but it makes me wonder sometimes.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Actually when I told our vet he about had a heart attack. Apparently avocados are toxic to cats.

"I'm not a vet, but I play one on the internet."  According to the internet: cats shouldn't eat the seed or skin of an avocado, but avocado (in moderation) will only give a healthy cat a possible upset stomach.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

"I'm not a vet, but I play one on the internet."  According to the internet: cats shouldn't eat the seed or skin of an avocado, but avocado (in moderation) will only give a healthy cat a possible upset stomach.

Alas, I've stopped letting him have any. He is 14 years old and in great shape and I'd like to keep it that way. Poor guy doesn't understand why he can't have it any more. I still let him have a little cheese occasionally.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Poor guy doesn't understand why he can't have it any more.

Try muskmelon. (there's actually cats going crazy for muskmelon/cantaloupe videos on Youtube.  So I guess it's a thing.)

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 2
On 9/15/2019 at 1:48 PM, biakbiak said:

This is an older ad but football season means that I can’t fast forward commercials. I hate the Overstock.com ad where the woman is like “people think we sell overstocked goods but we don’t,” people think that because of your name and that’s what you used to do so either rename/rebrand or shut it!

Well and the other thing is that they're like "people think we sell overstocked goods, but we actually sell super awesome fashionable stuff."  Well, the two aren't mutually exclusive.  There can be overstocked super awesome fashionable stuff.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, mmecorday said:

I'm afraid that if I had one, I'd spend the entire ride shouting at the instructor on the computer screen, "My name is not Peloton! Stop calling me that!"

Oh, it's the instructor yelling Peloton?  I don't really pay attention to the TV commercials, but I keep hearing one on Pandora where this guy is like, "Let's go, Peloton!  You got this, Peloton!"  I thought he was talking to his bike and didn't understand why he was yelling encouragement to an inanimate object.

• Love 5

I keep seeing one for Google where people use their Alexa/Google devices to order their other appliances to do things.  Like "Google tell Delta to refill the dog's water dish"  I don't want to live in a world where all my kitchen fixtures have names.  I also don't think it's really hard to go turn on the faucet myself.

• LOL 8
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Is that the same daughter in every Raisin Bran commercial? She's awful. She's been a nasty child camping and fishing as well. Shut up, brat, before all dad gives you to eat is Raisin Bran.

No.  At least it's not the same one from the fishing commercial (that girl was REALLY obnoxious and would have gotten some consequences if she spoke to my parents that way).

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Why are so many children in commercials obnoxious these days? The one that really makes me cringe is the new Raisin Bran commercial.  Loving Dad is watching his tween daughter ride off on her bike.  He tells her to be careful and make good choices. She snottily replies "you make good choices." If that's my daughter, the good choice I make is to take the bike away for about a week or so until she figures out how to speak to an adult respectfully.

Ugh. That one drives me up a wall. There was absolutely no reason for Future Yogurt Bitch to take that tone with her dad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Why are so many children in commercials obnoxious these days? The one that really makes me cringe is the new Raisin Bran commercial.  Loving Dad is watching his tween daughter ride off on her bike.  He tells her to be careful and make good choices. She snottily replies "you make good choices." If that's my daughter, the good choice I make is to take the bike away for about a week or so until she figures out how to speak to an adult respectfully.

What bugs me is that ads like this one send a message to children that this sort of disrespect is OK. And their wussy parents allow them to get away with it. 

• Love 14

A fugitive emu led California Highway Patrol officers on a brief pursuit in Madera County before being taken into custody Friday.

The southbound runaway was apprehended after a 30-minute chase along California 99 and taken to the Madera County Animal Services for processing.

“No you weren’t watching a live action Liberty Mutual commercial,” CHP wrote on Facebook, referencing the “LiMu” emu featured in Liberty Mutual insurance advertisements. “This afternoon we were graced by the presence of an emu.”

🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 13