Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I have been hating on this commercial for a long, long time now. First of all, it was probably really expensive to make. Actors had to be hired to play the band and extras were needed to play the band's fans. Then a bus had to be rented for the pretend band. Then a real roadie probably had to set up all that stage equipment. But most of all, the band sucks! I sit there and I cannot fathom how this band would even have fans when all they ever sing is "Ahhhhhhhhh." And at the end of the ad they have a supposedly "sold out" show at 10 p.m. Yeah, right.

It would be funny if the band's name was Attack of the Crohns, though.

The fluffy haired kid on the guitar is on The Young and the Restless. He plays Victor Newman's grandson. He is actually a pretty decent guitar player/singer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Tashalynn29 said:

Yea that little brat needs to eat what is put in front of them or do without 

Ha! My mom and dad took that approach with me once and got a plateful of vomit for their stance. I repeatedly told them I didn't like it, so I feel neither remorse nor embarrassment. Sometimes the kid is not being a "little brat," man.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

THe one where all those assholes are like "we switched from ford, we switched from dodge, we switched from whatever" reminds me of the cult the Simpsons joined twenty years ago, when they spoofed scientology.

Actually, they say "We switched from Dodge.  We switched from Ford.  We switched from Ram." Um, Ram is Dodge.

5 hours ago, Dbolt said:

Notice the commercials only say it does not contain beef. It does not say no meat. 

Joking aside, my wife had one and said it tasted just like a regular whopper but costs more. Also, I think I read where just because it has no meat does nit mean it is any better for you. 

I read that they're really high in sodium.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ha! My mom and dad took that approach with me once and got a plateful of vomit for their stance. I repeatedly told them I didn't like it, so I feel neither remorse nor embarrassment. Sometimes the kid is not being a "little brat," man.

Same thing happened when I was a kid. Children have so little control over what happens in their lives. If my kid didn't want what we were having for dinner he was free to go make himself a peanut butter sandwich and clean up after himself. No big deal.

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I think they are. But it's not like non-meat eaters are going to BK for "healthy" food; we're going because we like fast food too.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
51 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Actually, they say "We switched from Dodge.  We switched from Ford.  We switched from Ram." Um, Ram is Dodge.

Only slightly more than a regular whopper. Both are ridiculously high in sodium, over 35% of the RDA. I'll try one, but I somehow doubt that it can beat the Impossible Burger™ that Burgatory sells. 

1 minute ago, Colleenna said:

Only slightly more than a regular whopper. Both are ridiculously high in sodium, over 35% of the RDA. I'll try one, but I somehow doubt that it can beat the Impossible Burger™ that Burgatory sells. 

Isn't it the same burger? 

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

When I was 4, my father refused to pull over and stop the car despite my leaning over from the backseat and telling him, several times right in his ear, that I was carsick and felt like throwing up.  Turned out I knew what I was talking about, right in his ear.

• LOL 19
On 8/26/2019 at 1:45 PM, Bastet said:

I may very well be a party of one with this, but I think the actors play the dynamic between She Shed Cheryl and her husband perfectly.

I like this ad. I don't turn the channel when it comes on. How she delivers her line and how he reacts make me like them. Good casting of these 2 actors. 

• Love 4
On 8/26/2019 at 2:31 PM, Stella Rose said:
On 3/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, Browncoat said:

I don't own a dishwasher.  I am the dishwasher in my house.  LOL

I don't either - with only two of us, the amount of water it wastes to me seems disgusting.

I own one. Just used it as a drying rack for my water shoes. I think in the 5 years I was in my previous apartment I used the dishwasher maybe five times. I live alone. It is completely wasted on me. But I did figure out that I can use it to dry my dishes, if I just put them in there and leave the door cracked open overnight, rather than having a counter hogging drying rack (I hate towel drying!)

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I own one. Just used it as a drying rack for my water shoes. I think in the 5 years I was in my previous apartment I used the dishwasher maybe five times. I live alone. It is completely wasted on me. But I did figure out that I can use it to dry my dishes, if I just put them in there and leave the door cracked open overnight, rather than having a counter hogging drying rack (I hate towel drying!)

Though I sure would like to borrow one once a year for all my glassware.  To have that perfectly clean, shiny, no smudgy glassware....  hell yeah.  "Ello'  Mobile Dishwasher...."

• Love 1

1. The back to school Walmart commercial. No kid is going to bed with their clothes, shoes ,fall jacket and book bag to get up and ready for school. It's just so stupid.

2. The Bounce commercial where the spokesperson tells the audience you can put not only 1 but 2 sheets in the dryer if you want your clothes to come out wrinkle free.  Uhhh no. You just need to take the clothes out when the are still warm and fold them.

3. The CIBC penguins.  Penguins do not do that.

4. And I may get some flack for this but the commercial that shows those poor animals in terrible conditions and if you give they can stop the torture of animals. It just plays over and over and over again.  It's so freaking depressing that I just can't anymore.  It's worse than the commercial years ago with Sarah McLaughlin's song and the poor dogs.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, greekmom said:

2. The Bounce commercial where the spokesperson tells the audience you can put not only 1 but 2 sheets in the dryer if you want your clothes to come out wrinkle free.  Uhhh no. You just need to take the clothes out when the are still warm and fold them.

I'm not about to judge anyone for not retrieving the clothes immediately (except maybe in shared laundry rooms with far fewer dryers than washers, like in apartment complexes!), but why does Bounce assume someone needs "permission" to use more than one?! Further, isn't just one supposed to do the job in the first place?

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, greekmom said:

4. And I may get some flack for this but the commercial that shows those poor animals in terrible conditions and if you give they can stop the torture of animals. It just plays over and over and over again.  It's so freaking depressing that I just can't anymore.  It's worse than the commercial years ago with Sarah McLaughlin's song and the poor dogs.

You won't get flak from me!  I hate those ads.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

My dishwasher died a year or so ago. I live alone and it really was a waste using it anyway. Now I use it as a drying rack and it is perfect!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

They're really high in people, too (I'm pushing this until it becomes a meme!). In fact, their ads should say "Impossible Burgers, now with more people."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I like this ad. I don't turn the channel when it comes on. How she delivers her line and how he reacts make me like them. Good casting of these 2 actors. 

His deadpan "That's wonderful news" is classic. In fact, just yesterday a co-worker and I were telling our boss about this ad and I realized that while I could pretty much quote every line, I didn't know which insurance company it was for. Ha! A win and a fail all at once for State Farm.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am lactose intolerant with straight milk (can't drink it - I do better when it's cooked in to things).  I've been that way since before there was really a term for it.  My mom is the same way, so I know where I got it.  My mom wrote a note when I was in elementary school (late 70's/early 80's), and I never took a milk with my lunch - the lunch lady would give me something else to drink.  Usually tea (unsweetened - my preference).  The gym teacher was subbing as lunch monitor once and he kept on me about not taking milk.  He made me sit there until I drank it.  I was there well past lunch time.  Finally, he made me take some sips.  I then turned around and horked all over him.  My mom was NOT happy, and he never tried to force me to drink it again.

22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Same thing happened when I was a kid. Children have so little control over what happens in their lives. If my kid didn't want what we were having for dinner he was free to go make himself a peanut butter sandwich and clean up after himself. No big deal.

My mom's rule was that you had to taste something, and if you genuinely didn't like it, then you didn't have to eat it, but she wasn't making 2 dinners.  You could make a PB&J, or grilled cheese, or a bowl of cereal, or similar, for yourself.  I wasn't a fussy eater - there wasn't a whole lot I couldn't touch.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

The whole Carl's Jr / Hardees "Save The Veggies" campaign. It's clearly a dig at vegetarians / vegans. 

I guess we're easy targets for ridicule. Sigh. 

Oh, I don't see that as a dig against vegetarians/vegans. I see it as a poor attempt at humor.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

but why does Bounce assume someone needs "permission" to use more than one?! Further, isn't just one supposed to do the job in the first place?

Exactly. Bounce is all "you can use two!" but, why would I WANT to use two? So I can spend twice as much money on dryer sheets? I want to be able to use one and have it work. Weird. Sadly, people will probably fall for it. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I am lactose intolerant with straight milk (can't drink it - I do better when it's cooked in to things).  I've been that way since before there was really a term for it.  My mom is the same way, so I know where I got it.  My mom wrote a note when I was in elementary school (late 70's/early 80's), and I never took a milk with my lunch - the lunch lady would give me something else to drink.  Usually tea (unsweetened - my preference).  The gym teacher was subbing as lunch monitor once and he kept on me about not taking milk.  He made me sit there until I drank it.  I was there well past lunch time.  Finally, he made me take some sips.  I then turned around and horked all over him.  My mom was NOT happy, and he never tried to force me to drink it again.

My mom's rule was that you had to taste something, and if you genuinely didn't like it, then you didn't have to eat it, but she wasn't making 2 dinners.  You could make a PB&J, or grilled cheese, or a bowl of cereal, or similar, for yourself.  I wasn't a fussy eater - there wasn't a whole lot I couldn't touch.

The only time my mom would make two dinners was when she wanted oysters. She would have her oysters, my dad would have liver and onions (yuk) and she would make me a pork chop. We would all have the same side dishes.

Back when my husband had his own business, I would make our son dinner at six and a whole different dinner for my hubby and me at eight.

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:30 AM, Dbolt said:

Notice the commercials only say it does not contain beef. It does not say no meat. 

Joking aside, my wife had one and said it tasted just like a regular whopper but costs more. Also, I think I read where just because it has no meat does nit mean it is any better for you. 

I've had it several times and like it, but yeah, I noticed the nutritional labels for both were practically the same.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:53 AM, Dbolt said:

Wasn't there an ep of Bob's Burgers about this?

17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The only time my mom would make two dinners was when she wanted oysters. She would have her oysters, my dad would have liver and onions (yuk) and she would make me a pork chop. We would all have the same side dishes.

Back when my husband had his own business, I would make our son dinner at six and a whole different dinner for my hubby and me at eight.

That's a little different.  When you're making food that you know no one else likes, then I feel it's fair to make something else for the rest.  Personally, I love liver and onions, but it has to be prepared correctly, or I'm not eating it.  The other situation you reference was also a little different - it's a matter of timing.  I would do the same in either position.

We had friends who had kids who were incredibly fussy eaters, and they would give in to these kids (the grandparents would as well) by making sometimes 3 separate entrees because the kids wouldn't eat otherwise.  To do that on a nightly basis is ludicrous.  We'd go to pot luck dinners, and these kids would have their own food.  It was insane.  And this was in the 70's/80's, before stuff like chicken nuggets, and in a time where this was even more ludicrous than it would be considered now.  My parents dreaded when they'd come to our house because they'd bellyache about whatever my parents made (which was usually stuff like cheeseburgers, or similar - they'd refuse to eat the burgers unless my parents got them the same place their parents did).  My mom would end up giving them sandwiches, and they'd complain to their parents, so eventually they'd come to our house with their own food too.

I have no clue what they did when they got to college, and their mom/grandparents weren't making special stuff for them evey day.  They're married and have their own kids, and I sometimes wonder if they would bend over that far backwards for their kids.  Kind-of doubt it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

We'd go to pot luck dinners, and these kids would have their own food. 

At least they brought their own food.  I read a story on the internet (so true or not is anyone's guess) about a child who only had about 7 different foods he would eat.  The only 2 I remember were apples (the only healthy item on the list so it stuck out) and Velveeta Shells and Cheese.  He went to a bday party where they served, gasp, Kraft Mac and Cheese.  The mother was irate that the birthday mom didn't fix him Velveeta Shells and Cheese separately and how her child was so hungry because he had nothing to eat. 

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

At least they brought their own food.  I read a story on the internet (so true or not is anyone's guess) about a child who only had about 7 different foods he would eat.  The only 2 I remember were apples (the only healthy item on the list so it stuck out) and Velveeta Shells and Cheese.  He went to a bday party where they served, gasp, Kraft Mac and Cheese.  The mother was irate that the birthday mom didn't fix him Velveeta Shells and Cheese separately and how her child was so hungry because he had nothing to eat. 

I'll take the rest to small talk so as not to de-rail the thread, but that sounds like something this family would gripe about.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:52 PM, mmecorday said:

First of all, it was probably really expensive to make. Actors had to be hired to play the band and extras were needed to play the band's fans. Then a bus had to be rented for the pretend band. Then a real roadie probably had to set up all that stage equipment.

It's commercials like this that baffle me how much expense are put into it to make it seem real.  If I were still a kid, you'd have a really hard time convincing me that wasn't a real band.

I wonder if a lot of these "performance"  shots are just good editing.  I remember there was a TV series where one of the main characters was on a football team and they would show clips of the games with packed bleachers and it was really only 5 minutes of the show.  Then when I watched it again in re-run, you could sort of see how they just edited it to look like it was a larger event than it truly was.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Katy M said:

At least they brought their own food.  I read a story on the internet (so true or not is anyone's guess) about a child who only had about 7 different foods he would eat

When I had my tonsils out as a little kid, one of the kids I shared a room with was in because he basically wouldn't eat anything.  I was amazed that he wouldn't even eat mashed potatoes.  The only thing I remember him eating on his own was ice cream. My family always accused me of being picky, but after meeting that kid I felt a lot better.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 4
On 8/29/2019 at 10:14 AM, Ubiquitous said:

I've had it several times and like it, but yeah, I noticed the nutritional labels for both were practically the same.

Wasn't there an ep of Bob's Burgers about this?

Yes!  Louise spread the rumor that the hamburger meat came from the undertaker next door, and then the health inspectors got involved.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think this commercial is for a bank. It shows a little girl who looks about 10 years old (old enough to know better) drawing on the walls with crayons. The spokes-person is so happy about it. The parents should save their money to send her to art school.

First of all, if she has crayons, she has paper to draw her wonderful pictures on and second I would have been punished for drawing on the walls. She does a curtsy and smiles like am I not the cutest for drawing on your walls with crayons.

I bet a lot of kids get in to trouble for following her example.

https://ispot.tv/a/Iexl

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, margol29 said:

It shows a little girl who looks about 10 years old (old enough to know better) drawing on the walls with crayons.

The kid's cute, but no real kid in that situation would react like that.  It's lazy writing. I blame the ad company.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I don't know if this fits here but right now there is a promo for Criminal Minds that attempts to use Nietzsche's famous quote "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." And they botch it or they're trying to dumb it down and it gets my teeth to gnashing.

• Love 9
On 8/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

There's a buick commercial where everyone is so surprised that the buick in question is actually the OTHER buick. I fucking hate this. It's like 15 seconds long.

• A couple comes out of a restaurant to a valet, who hands them the keys and says "Here's your Buick, sir," and the guy responds "actually, THAT's my Buick." They delete the part where the valet says "Did I just hand you a set of car keys with the same number on the key as on the ticket you fucking gave me? Do you understand how valet parking works? You give me a numbered tag. I take that tag, match the number to the key, go to the corresponding parking space, put those keys in your car, drive your car here, and you fucking tip. I don't really give a shit if it's a Buick, a Cadillac or the god damn Batmobile. Get your bougy ass IN the car, which YOU KNOW BY SIGHT, and drive your ass away. Plus get over it, it's just a Buick, it's nothing special."
  • Group of lacrosse players with all their gear asks one kid "How are we all going to fit in your mom's Buick?" Douchey LAX kid says "THAT's my mom's Buick," which is basically a crossover SUV. Not pictured is the kid going "Wow, guess your dad's lawyer did okay with the divorce settlement, because that's like a half step up from a Subaru, why are you so impressed with it? Get the fuck in the car, Cameron."
  • "How are we going to get all our surfboards onto your Buick?" asks an extremely unlikely group of female surfers all holding surfboards next to a convertible Buick. "Actually, THAT's my Buick!" responds one, to an SUV with a roofrack for those pesky surfboards. Somehow no one says "Cindy, let's make sure we go to an ER before you take us home, because Sandra was very clearly concussed during that vicious wipeout earlier...we obviously all drove here in your SUV, and her confusion about which car it is means either her brain is telling her we all surfed from some unknown origin to this point and now have to figure out how to get back, OR she thinks we came in this convertible dragging our boards behind us."
  • "I really love this new BUick," says a woman to her partner on the street as they walk by a car parked on the road. He says "Me too!" as he gazes lustily upon the car, not the woman. She says "Actually, I was talking about THAT Buick," and looks up to a billboard featuring a totally different car. "I knew that," he says. "Did you?" she retorts. Commercial cuts off before he says "WHAT THE FUCK, WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS SO GOD DAMN MEAN?? They're BOTH FUCKING BUICKS, what difference does it make which one you're talking about? Jesus FUCKING Christ I can't take being with you, you're insufferable, I mean SERIOUSLY who gives a shit? God I hate you, I can't believe I married you, I'm just happy we don't have children and I can't wait to get rid of you, you browbeating thundercunt, it's a passing remark ABOUT A STRANGER'S CAR! We already drive a nicer car than EITHER OF THESE!"

It's the last one that gets me. What a senseless exchange between the two of them. Why does he need to pretend he know she meant the billboard? How would he know that unless she gestured? Why is she so snarky in her rely? It's dumb and annoying.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

The Real Real: Damn I know I have zero fashion sense & I'm not into status shite, but I  wouldn't pay 2cents for some of these get-ups. A couple are okay but most of them are clownish AF!

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
On 8/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, margol29 said:

I think this commercial is for a bank. It shows a little girl who looks about 10 years old (old enough to know better) drawing on the walls with crayons. The spokes-person is so happy about it. The parents should save their money to send her to art school.

First of all, if she has crayons, she has paper to draw her wonderful pictures on and second I would have been punished for drawing on the walls. She does a curtsy and smiles like am I not the cutest for drawing on your walls with crayons.

I bet a lot of kids get in to trouble for following her example.

https://ispot.tv/a/Iexl

I guess the world is lucky that those commercial writers didn't see me decorating the bedroom walls with my mom's lipstick when I was about three. 😳😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 8/27/2019 at 1:28 PM, Silver Raven said:

Actually, no, Ram is not Dodge.  They re-branded as a separate entity about 10 years ago.  If you go to Dodge.com there are no trucks on their website.  You have to go to RamTrucks.com instead.

i upgraded from a Dodge Dakota to a Ram and it’s taken me a while to get used to not using the term Dodge. The dealer was kind of rude when I slipped up and called it a Dodge.

they are both brands under the Fiat Chrysler umbrella though.

• Love 4

I love insomnia so very much, I get to see more Frank Thomas, I really want to slug him when he says, "and she'll like it too!" and gives a sly wink, to which they've added a twinkle. I'd like to punch him in that winkie twinkie eye! But now there's another one, Super Force, no, it's not at all phallic when a gas pump nozzle being put into a car's gas tank and it fills the screen. But I do laugh when they zero in on and draw a bull's eye on the male private parts, makes it about as cringe worthy as showing young women trimming their bushes.

I think in the middle of the night, the only commercials are lawsuits over drugs, medical devices and male enhancement/supplements, 4 ads in a row on one commercial break. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

The latest Chevrolet ad with "real people, not actors" includes a female voice gushing "I can't stop staring at it!".  We don't see the ecstatic woman, and the particular Chevrolet she's fixated upon isn't specified, but none of them seem worth a second glance, let alone a stare.  I recently saw a meticulously restored 1955 Studebaker at a local charity event, so I realize that it is possible to be awestruck by a car, but Chevrolet must be aiming at a different audience.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

The Twizzlers' commercial where the guy is in the passenger seat, chewing a Twizzler, staring out the window, and worrying if he is too old for skateboarding. This commercial is stupid, skateboarding is the least of his concerns, and I hope the girl is driving him to a mental institution (under the appearance they are driving to a nice vacation spot). 

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 11