Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I also hate the car commercials using Holiday Road from National Lampoon's Vacation, especially the one where the woman brings an absolute disaster of a snowman cake to a friend's gathering because (as the idiotic lyrics say) she can't cook.  Then why the hell didn't she just pick up something at a bakery?

That commercial is apparently on heavy rotation on Hulu. I've been stuck in bed and binge watching Kitchen Nightmares. That ad comes up every single break. I want to shove q tips through my eardrums just so I don't have to hear that god awful muzak massacre of Holiday Road ever again! That shit is more irritating than Kidz Bop!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I used to, many years ago. Now I live in Scottsdale, Arizona.

How do you not drive in Scottsdale?   I learned how to parallel park just enough to get my license. I refuse to try and do it again. I'll park where I can and walk. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Wow, I hate, hate, hate this ad.  In the first pace, I detest the homophobic Salvation Army but this ad is just pretentious and ridiculous.

Honestly, Chloe should have just given the girl her coat... ugh.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

How do you not drive in Scottsdale?   I learned how to parallel park just enough to get my license. I refuse to try and do it again. I'll park where I can and walk. 

I had to parallel park one day on my Road Trip in June.  As I was walking back to my car, I had to take a picture. I couldn't believe how perfectly I had parked. And I didn't have to do any back-and-forth crap to get into the space. I think that's the first time in 50 years of driving I've parked so beautifully. It'll never happen again. It looked like I was driving one of those self-parking cars.  I stunned myself.

And I thank my brother for teaching me how to park after failing the driving test the first time due to my poor parallel parking skills. Thanks, Joe!

• Love 9

There's a milk commercial where they say that 9/10 athletes on the US Olympic team grew up drinking milk.  The implication seems specious.  9/10 of them probably also grew up eating waffles.  I have drunk milk every single day of my entire life, and I'm no Olympian.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, janie jones said:

There's a milk commercial where they say that 9/10 athletes on the US Olympic team grew up drinking milk.  The implication seems specious.  9/10 of them probably also grew up eating waffles.  I have drunk milk every single day of my entire life, and I'm no Olympian.

Clearly you are number 10.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And I thank my brother for teaching me how to park after failing the driving test the first time due to my poor parallel parking skills. Thanks, Joe!

I bypassed the parallel park part of the test by showing up in a 17' long Grand Prix with no AC in the middle of August in Texas.

On 11/20/2017 at 7:42 PM, ebk57 said:

Honestly, Chloe should have just given the girl her coat... ugh.

So much this. The fact that she goes to donate something somewhere else isn't going to change the way the other kid feels when she walks off.

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 8

Ugh! That commercial with Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood chatting up the book that Brooks "wrote." I have never liked Garth Brooks, but this commercial is making me even less of a fan than I already am. And it's part one of a five-part series? We're talking about Garth Brooks here, not the history of Western Civilization, right? And Yearwood chirps, "I am going to give one to everyone I know for Christmas." So glad I am not your friend, Trish. I'd rather have a Mr. Microphone (which did NOT make a great gift).

Edited by mmecorday
  • Love 10
On 11/19/2017 at 2:26 PM, xaxat said:

A whole category of commercial that annoys me are the ads that universities run during broadcast of their sport teams. They are so paint by the number that they feel identical.

• Aerial view of campus
  • Shot of distinguished professor teaching in a lecture hall. Said person is probably very important in their field but you have no idea who they are.
  • Fresh faced students walking through the quad or the new Frank Gehry designed library.
  • A ballet class (just to remind you it's not all about the boys)
  • Exciting football/basketball footage (because it really is all about the boys)
  • Students in a lab inventing the future
  • Aerial view of campus

One thing about the routine college commercials is that they show all of the cool places and awesome facilities that you, as a regular peon student, are not possibly allowed access to.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Rachel81 said:

Can't even understand the ONE word they're supposed to be singing.

Pan.

Oops; now I think you know what they're saying, it just doesn't sound clear, not that you need to know the word.  In that case, sorry.

But, yeah, rather annoying "song."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Pan.

Oops; now I think you know what they're saying, it just doesn't sound clear, not that you need to know the word.  In that case, sorry.

But, yeah, rather annoying "song."

Pan = bread in Spanish.

Not that that has anything to do with this commercial necessarily. :)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1

The Unwrap a Jaguar Sales Event commercial. Wifey is receiving the gift of a Jaguar from Hubby. Not a real grateful recipient, the car has too many miles. UGH ! Talk about snooty rich people commercials !

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

The Unwrap a Jaguar Sales Event commercial. Wifey is receiving the gift of a Jaguar from Hubby. Not a real grateful recipient, the car has too many miles. UGH ! Talk about snooty rich people commercials !

I hate all the Christmas car commercials, but setting my general annoyance aside, I don't have a problem with her asking about the mileage.  There are about 900 miles on it; if it was a used car, I'd definitely want to know why someone was selling it after so few miles, and if it was a new car, I'd want to know just how the hell many test drives it went on or how many dealerships it was transferred between to have that many miles -- of course, it turns out that's because Hubby decided to take it for quite a few joy rides before giving it to her.

These "surprising someone with a new car for Christmas" commercials in general bring up all sorts of mine/yours/ours financial considerations, and are just overall weird to me.  If you're sharing money with a spouse, that's a big purchase for one half of the pair to make without consulting the other.  If you're not, that's an uncomfortably large gift.  Even if you're not uncomfortable with that aspect, don't you want to have have some serious input (make/model, but also features and even color) on something you're going to drive for the next 15-20 years?  My parents bought my first car when I was a teenager, and even under those circumstances it wasn't a surprise -- I'd researched, taken test drives, and zeroed in on what I wanted after they'd offered a car as a reward for my grades.

I don't care how much of an ingrate it makes me seem, I believe you surprise someone with a sweater they can exchange or donate if it's not to their tastes, not with a new car.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

This commercial with the lost teddy bear....

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wli3/tile-mate-lost-panda-together-we-find-song-by-stephan-altman

It starts off kind of cute, but at the end, the Dad gives his daughter the Plague Bear that's sitting in a dirty gutter turning her into Patient Zero in some weird apocalyptic scenario that no scientist could have predicted.

The thing that throws me off with that commercial when I see it is that every time the "Girl..." part of the song starts up, for some reason, I keep expecting them to launch into, "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon". 

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wli3/tile-mate-lost-panda-together-we-find-song-by-stephan-altman

It starts off kind of cute, but at the end, the Dad gives his daughter the Plague Bear that's sitting in a dirty gutter turning her into Patient Zero in some weird apocalyptic scenario that no scientist could have predicted.

This might be unpopular, but what I don't understand about the teddy bear commercial is the need to put a GPS tag in/on everything you own, including a stuffed animal. I get that people lose things. I'm not one of those people, so maybe that's my disconnect. Is there really a market for putting these tags on everything? I've seen several different brands/types. Do I just not get it?

43 minutes ago, Bastet said:

These "surprising someone with a new car for Christmas" commercials in general bring up all sorts of mine/yours/ours financial considerations, and are just overall weird to me.  If you're sharing money with a spouse, that's a big purchase for one half of the pair to make without consulting the other.  If you're not, that's an uncomfortably large gift.  Even if you're not uncomfortable with that aspect, don't you want to have have some serious input (make/model, but also features and even color) on something you're going to drive for the next 15-20 years?  My parents bought my first car when I was a teenager, and even under those circumstances it wasn't a surprise -- I'd researched, taken test drives, and zeroed in on what I wanted after they'd offered a car as a reward for my grades.

I don't care how much of an ingrate it makes me seem, I believe you surprise someone with a sweater they can exchange or donate if it's not to their tastes, not with a new car.

Yes, yes, yes. At 17, I researched and found my second used car and had my stepdad check it out. I was paying for it, so I was responsible for all $1400 of it. I bought my first used car ($750) from my cousin. (I wrecked it.) Considering that I drove that second car seven years and my current car 13 so far, I cannot imagine buying one's significant other A CAR without consulting them. It baffles me. But then, I am not a rich person.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

This might be unpopular, but what I don't understand about the teddy bear commercial is the need to put a GPS tag in/on everything you own, including a stuffed animal. I get that people lose things. I'm not one of those people, so maybe that's my disconnect. Is there really a market for putting these tags on everything? I've seen several different brands/types. Do I just not get it?

Maybe not everything, but That One Special Toy - I could see that.

I've only seen one Tile tag in the wild - it was on the collar of someone's guide dog. And I seriously considered getting one to put on my phone when I was travelling and using it for GPS in a strange town, because I'm not used to it being in the cupholder instead of in my pocket.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hate all the Christmas car commercials, but setting my general annoyance aside, I don't have a problem with her asking about the mileage.  There are about 900 miles on it; if it was a used car, I'd definitely want to know why someone was selling it after so few miles, and if it was a new car, I'd want to know just how the hell many test drives it went on or how many dealerships it was transferred between to have that many miles -- of course, it turns out that's because Hubby decided to take it for quite a few joy rides before giving it to her.

I agree about the miles, and I also don't think it's okay for the husband to have taken the car out.  You can't use someone's gift before giving it to them.

And I agree about the surprise.  A car is too big a commitment to not get their input on, even if you can afford it easily.  And if these people did get the other person's input on the car, then why is the recipient so surprised?

• Love 3
On 11/22/2017 at 10:26 PM, WritinMan said:

This.  Dad couldn’t run the toy under the wash before gifting it to his daughter?  That thing has been schlepped all over and it’s covered in grime.  I cringe when the little girl clutches that bear to her chest. 

• Love 6

In order to preserve my sanity I’m going to think that the people who have been gifted with cars have had discussions with their SO like “Man if I could get a new car, it would be blah blah blah, but I can’t right now for (whatever reason).”  So they’re surprised that the car was able to be purchased, not specifically the kind of car.

JC Penney has an ad where the music break goes something like “ahh ahh ahhh” in the middle and I kinda liked it the first time I heard it, but not the subsequent nine million times during every ad break on TNT while watching several Bones episodes. 

• Love 2

OK gang - you asked for it.  Hands down the most disgusting, nauseating commercial currently on TV.

California Charcoal - a peel-off facial mask.

The spot runs late at night on, of all places, MSNBC.  

You get to see (in massive close-up on your high-def screen):

Spoiler

fingers squeezing a blackhead, along with a detailed image of all the gunk the mask pulls out of pores.

Say hello again to your midnight snack!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

In order to preserve my sanity I’m going to think that the people who have been gifted with cars have had discussions with their SO like “Man if I could get a new car, it would be blah blah blah, but I can’t right now for (whatever reason).”  So they’re surprised that the car was able to be purchased, not specifically the kind of car.

I just found out yesterday that several years ago, my niece-in-law bought my nephew a Jeep he'd been coveting & put a big bow on it for Xmas.  It wasn't a red bow, however...it was maroon & orange, as they're both graduates of Virginia Tech.  But, yes, Alex had talked incessantly about this Jeep, so Alicia knew which one to buy.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

OK gang - you asked for it.  Hands down the most disgusting, nauseating commercial currently on TV.

California Charcoal - a peel-off facial mask.

The spot runs late at night on, of all places, MSNBC.  

You get to see (in massive close-up on your high-def screen):

Reveal hidden contents

fingers squeezing a blackhead, along with a detailed image of all the gunk the mask pulls out of pores.

Say hello again to your midnight snack!

Late night everywhere, and I've developed a recent fondness for retro TV  :(

• Love 1
On 11/20/2017 at 2:39 PM, Silver Raven said:

Wow, I hate, hate, hate this ad.  In the first pace, I detest the homophobic Salvation Army but this ad is just pretentious and ridiculous.

This is a TERRIBLE ad!  WTF?  I would never give to any charitable organization much less this homophobic mess.  Look at what has happened with some cancer charities.  Ugh.  

You take the girl home to your mother.  She feeds her, gives her some hand me downs and calls CPS immediately.  

• Love 5

I could not believe my ears at the new Target ad. It's aimed at pre-teens, possibly young teenagers, and the teen showcased says, "I flove sweaters!"

Who on this planet doesn't know that's a contraction for "fucking love"?

Totally inappropriate! I don't care if actual teens talk that way. It's vulgar, and running a commercial with it is just wrong.

• Love 14

I know this is not a new rant but fuck OFF Special K.  You know what women do?  Eat real fucking food that may not be good for us but I am not going to feel one bit bad about it.  I’m not going to get excited about eating fucking QUINOA and think I’m some sort of rebel badass.  I had a Philly steak yesterday.  And it was damn good.

15 hours ago, configdotsys said:

BOGO Bro

The Sprint (I think) commercial with two "bros" buying phones: "it's a BOGO bro" or something makes me want to break my TV. 

It’s for Boost Mobile, whatever that is, and I want to set each person in this ad on fire individually and as a group.

I know it’s a different company but bring back Lily.  Come to think of it, I haven’t seen an AT&T ad in awhile.  Not that I care, I use Verizon, but it’s still kinda weird.

Oh speaking of phones, I like my iPhone very much, Samsung, and why does that guy keep upgrading his phone but keeping the one he no longer uses?  Do people do that?  I’ve never saved a phone, I either donate it, sell it or when I upgrade next I think Verizon will take mine back for some credit.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Oh speaking of phones, I like my iPhone very much, Samsung, and why does that guy keep upgrading his phone but keeping the one he no longer uses?  Do people do that?  I’ve never saved a phone, I either donate it, sell it or when I upgrade next I think Verizon will take mine back for some credit.

We run ours til they die. Then get a new one. Fortunately, ours die after we're eligible for an upgrade.  So we keep the old ones. They're not worth anything. 

• Love 6

Quinn, just in case you have a lot of old telephones sitting around, women's shelters and domestic violence groups will take them. Even if there is no account attached to the phone, 911 can still be called and it's a life line for some women. Or, so I've been told. I only use a cheap flip phone, and all of my old phones were replaced because 1) puppy chewed up the phone, 2) nephew had it, had an argument with a friend, one friend threw the phone across the room, he did pay for a replacement, and the other time the friend smashed it with a hammer. Nephew no longer gets to use my phone.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 14

I generally hate the Sprint commercials with the former Verizon "Can you hear me now?" guy, but the Christmas one has really ratcheted that hatred up. Paul the d-bag asks another character why he doesn't have the "iPhone season spirit."

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wDJS/sprint-iphone-season-iphone-forever

On the other hand, I do admire that a retailer finally admitted the holiday season is all about buying things and conspicuous consumption and not any of those annoying religious/goodwill toward others reasons .

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

One of the big jewelers has a fall commercial that says it's "engagement season". Say what, now?

The funny one I heard of (don't know which jewelry store)-- if you buy an engagement ring you get a free Xbox.  Something for everyone!  Now there's an incentive to pop the question!  

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

The funny one I heard of (don't know which jewelry store)-- if you buy an engagement ring you get a free Xbox.  Something for everyone!  Now there's an incentive to pop the question!  

He can play his Xbox in his man cave while the little lady admires her blood diamond and eats her fake cheesecake in her she shed.

• Love 22
31 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

He can play his Xbox in his man cave while the little lady admires her blood diamond and eats her fake cheesecake in her she shed.

While Junior shaves his sister's head and the dog pants in misery in his lion head hat.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Oh my god...this stupid MasterPass commercial:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wM2Q/mastercard-masterpass-pass-feat-kat-dennings-joe-montana

I want to bang my head against the wall whenever it comes on.

Thank you. Why they wanted to turn Joe Montana into a mouth-breathing clod who can’t understand the concept of a masterpass—and then is driven to *throw a vase across the room* at the mere mention of the word “pass”—is beyond me. Is there a meta statement embedded in this ad related to the dangers of football-related head trauma? 

Why, Joe? Why?

Not to mention that Kat Dennings drives me up a wall, anyway.

• Love 13