Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

How did she not know this before?  It's not like her Italian ancestors came over on the Mayflower or crossed the ice bridge at the Bering Strait.  I don't get how any of these people are so unaware of their ethnic background.  How do they think they're German when they're actually Scottish?  Maybe they should spend more time talking to their grandparents and other relatives rather than on DNA tests.

31 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

A recent news story has highlighted that you can't always believe your relatives on this.

Very true. My last name was originally spelled with lots of extra silent consonants and we were told by my grandfather it was altered at Ellis Island when the ancestors emigrated. Only to find out after he died that he himself had it changed, which was rich, considering he threw a big fit when my dad wanted to change his last name to something plain and ordinary.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

My mother was adopted as an infant almost 90 years ago

Adoption is a different issue.  I don't think Ripa was adopted.

53 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

A recent news story has highlighted that you can't always believe your relatives on this.

As for accuracy of relatives, here's a story on DNA tests.

https://www.insideedition.com/investigative/21784-how-reliable-are-home-dna-ancestry-tests-investigation-uses-triplets-to-find-out

• Love 1

I'm a Food Network addict this time of year.  But they are killing me with the endless commercials with 

Marcela Valladolid screeching about a holiday surprise.  Ugh.  And Lorraine's "yes yes yes" seems to play on a continuous loop.

Advertise something I don't know about already, but stop beating me over the head with commercials for shows I'm already watching!!

This commercial airs several times an hour on all the channels I watch! No, Duff, it's not "super cool!" It's super annoying!

• Love 3
On 12/10/2018 at 5:27 PM, jcbrown said:

I totally agree about the "yes yes yes" from Lorraine. The way it is shot makes her look like she could be in some sort of horror film. So... many...teeth.

She has even more teeth than Giada.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

That camera angle showing her big fish lips over the ball-like piece of chocolate is, um, odd.

I think it's a way to make her look like she's taken a bite of it, without ACTUALLY having to. It all looks so very contrived. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Something making me increasingly stabby is the woman in the ProNamel ads. "It's pro enamel, it's good for your enamel, it's a positive thing." Really? Are you sure? Oh, and could you be more condescending?

I can't stand her vocal fry, either. "Your enamel is verrrrrrry prrrrrecious."

• Love 6
16 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Those commercials about teeth enamel usually start out by saying we destroy our enamel by eating acidic fruits and drinking coffee, and "once gone, it can't be replaced."  Then they tell us about this special toothpaste that helps restore and protect enamel.  I thought it couldn't be replaced; I'm so confused.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, trudysmom said:

Marcela Valladolid screeching about a holiday surprise. 

Every time I hear that screechy voice I wonder what Paul Hollywood saw in her.

20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Exspresso.

Yous.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Yous.

When my (late) mother moved to western North Carolina, we learned another one: "Yuns". (Slurring of You Ones.) I thought we had "Y'all" to cover that. It can be confusing with "you" being both singular and plural, but "Yuns"?

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yuns seems to be very particular to a small area of western NC and east TN.  I've never heard it anywhere else.

Yuns (and yens) are also spoken in southwestern PA.   I used to say it. ; )   

I haven't been on this thread in a while so I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but Andy Roddick and his ditsy wife Brooklyn Decker annoy me to no end in those Dietz and Watson commercials.  They are not "cute."  Just stupid.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I hate hate hate vocal fry. And it seems to be everywhere.

I was listening to someone do powerpoint presentation a few weeks back and she would start each sentence normally but by the end of the sentence she was in serious vocal fry. Every sentence.

• Love 4

I'm seeing commercials for something called the Huggle. It's like a full body version of the Snuggie, for those of you who remember those. 

I could sort of see the attraction with the Snuggie, since it was something you basically slipped into but this Huggle thing is something you have to pull over your head like a full body poncho. Why not just wear a bathrobe?

• Love 5

Here in our area of Southwestern Pa, it’s called Yinze.  People like to call us Yinzers, even though I never use that word. 

I despise the commercial for one of those emergency call button companies.  It’s the one where they post the warning that the commercial could be offensive?  Then you hear moaning in pain and see a poor woman lying at the bottom of the stairs.  The reason I HATE this commercial is because this is what happened to my mom right before she passed away, right before the Holidays.  The actress even sounded like my mom as she was crying in pain.  While mom didn’t fall down stairs, she fell in her closet and broke her neck, it’s just too realistic and brings me to tears when I see it.  

• Love 8

K, I'm so sorry about your mom. My mom died in early Jan 2009, but from around Thanksgiving to the day before she died she was in the hospital. Then she was moved to a hospice home. But it's so hard to lose any family around the holidays. I still miss her, but I was thankful that Mom was helped with her pain and she didn't suffer long. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

K, I'm so sorry about your mom. My mom died in early Jan 2009, but from around Thanksgiving to the day before she died she was in the hospital. Then she was moved to a hospice home. But it's so hard to lose any family around the holidays. I still miss her, but I was thankful that Mom was helped with her pain and she didn't suffer long. 

I'm so sorry about your mom, too. Mine was in intensive care for 12 days before she died in late 2008.  

I know that these alert companies have a right to advertise, but they really don't have to make them so realistic to the point that they have to run a warning before showing the ad. 

The ad that I think is strange is the one for Michael's, the craft store.  The music is really bad and I swear that the guy is singing "Spread Yourself".  I finally realized he might be singing "Express Yourself". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The ad that I think is strange is the one for Michael's, the craft store.  The music is really bad and I swear that the guy is singing "Spread Yourself".  I finally realized he might be singing "Express Yourself". 

It's really an odd choice for a craft store.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 2:00 AM, zillabreeze said:

I HATE Walmart with the heat of a thousand suns.  Won't darken the door for any reason.  Will always be a Target girl .

But Target is killin' me.  I don't know where the " round round" crap started.  Don't care. Just STOP.  please stop!  

The Target commercials have usually been fun.  But damn this year, the "round, round" is brutal!  Did they EVEN ask a focus group???   

I've detested Target holiday commercials for years - I've never seen one which isn't annoying.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, Silver Raven said:

Maybe if Sia would stop being twee, and turned around to face the audience, we might be able to understand her.

In her defense, apparently she has issues with stage fright and other anxiety issues, and the whole wig thing is what allows her to perform in front of people.  But that song is annoying as hell.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

How did she not know this before?  It's not like her Italian ancestors came over on the Mayflower or crossed the ice bridge at the Bering Strait.  I don't get how any of these people are so unaware of their ethnic background.  How do they think they're German when they're actually Scottish?  Maybe they should spend more time talking to their grandparents and other relatives rather than on DNA tests.

Not every family documents their history all that well, and family history can get pretty mangled.  Some people are adopted. 

Of course, some of the results are not what they expected because their ancestors at some point lived somewhere and then moved to somewhere else.  People whose families come from areas with a lot of immigration (like the British Isles) or where the area was constantly invaded (pretty much anywhere in Eastern Europe) can get dna results they did not expect.

As for the Scottish guy who thought he was German, some Scottish ancestors may have moved to Germany at some point, so the family may have a German name, German traditions and have actually come here from Germany, but the dna from the Scottish ancestor is still showing up.  That commercial is still stupid, though, because there's nothing to keep him from participating in German cultural activities if he enjoys them.  After all, lots of people with no German ancestry go to Oktoberfest.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

As for the Scottish guy who thought he was German, some Scottish ancestors may have moved to Germany at some point, so the family may have a German name, German traditions and have actually come here from Germany, but the dna from the Scottish ancestor is still showing up. 

Now you mention this, it has me wondering if that'd the case with my family to some degree. From what I've been told, we're pretty heavily German, especially on my mom's side (can't say we've gotten into any German traditions, though), but if some of my ancestors moved around and whatnot, it wouldn't surprise me to learn there's more to our history beyond that. Might be interesting to look into that further someday, when I've got the money to do so. 

@KLovestoShop, also sending my condolences to you on your loss. That commercial is very unsettling. 

• Love 1

I know this is about TV commercials and I'm broadening the topic a little with this post so I don't know if it fits here or it should have its own thread.

I know YouTube is free because of the ads but when the ad is longer than the video you're trying to watch, that's just excessive and annoying. And I hate when I go to imdb and an ad expands to take up anywhere from a quarter to half the screen. And every time I go to a new page on there it does it again. Having to click out of your ad a thousand times doesn't make me want to see your movie or watch your show. It makes me want to avoid it at all costs.

• Love 13

The Roomba commercial with the kids intentionally making a mess to demonstrate how well a Roomba cleans would have angered my Depression-era grandparents so much, I feel their rage come through me whenever I see it. Why not just throw dirt on the floor? It's literally dirt cheap!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

It's really an odd choice for a craft store.

That's the hip hop version of the song, which I'd never heard before.  The version in the commercial is the one I'm familiar with, the original done by Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band (yeah, what a title). 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

The Roomba commercial with the kids intentionally making a mess to demonstrate how well a Roomba cleans would have angered my Depression-era grandparents so much, I feel their rage come through me whenever I see it. Why not just throw dirt on the floor? It's literally dirt cheap!

I don't own a roomba but I can't see that they would be able to pick up or hold very much since they are so small.

• Love 8

I have lurked and laughed for a bit, but I made an account to post about a commercial that I’ve not seen mentioned yet: the Christmas market commercial from Verizon. The little girl is cute and all, but I cringe in spite of myself when she says the very forced “how dare you” after the guy takes a piece of popcorn 

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, hammerhead said:

I have lurked and laughed for a bit, but I made an account to post about a commercial that I’ve not seen mentioned yet: the Christmas market commercial from Verizon. The little girl is cute and all, but I cringe in spite of myself when she says the very forced “how dare you” after the guy takes a piece of popcorn 

The guy (Michael?) in the Verizon ads has started to wear on me big time so that might be why the little girl snarling at him doesn't bother me so much :)

And by the way, welcome @hammerhead !

Edited by SoSueMe
welcome aboard!
  • Love 4

Nice message, but the animation in the new Apple commercial is pretty off-putting.  The girl’s head, hair, and sweater looked huge.  I thought she was a giant until I saw everyone else in the ad.  They’re just wearing really big sweaters, I guess.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I agree re that commercial.

However; take heart: It's likely Roomba would have totally fled for the hills at the approach of the Dust Bowl's worst dust storms which had former topsoil blow into folks' houses  via doorcracks and even floor joints so your grandparents (and my parents who grew up during that time) would have gotten satisfaction of seeing that thing get overwhelmed! 

Edited by Blergh
too many evens
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I hate the Nationwide commercials, but especially the ones with the country singer and the retired football player, who keeps trying to sing. 

Peyton Manning is creepy as fuck in that ad. Of course, I always find him creepy now in light of his alleged sexual assault of a trainer when he was in college. https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395

MARKED AS SPOILER BECAUSE OF POTENTIAL TRIGGERING CONTENT

Spoiler

On Feb. 29 of that year, Naughright, at that point the university's director of health and wellness, was in a training room, examining what she thought might be a possible stress fracture in Manning's foot. At 6 feet, 5 inches, his feet dangled off the edge of the table. Manning allegedly then proceeded to scoot down the training table while Naughright examined his foot. At that point, she said, he forcefully maneuvered his naked testicles and rectum directly on her face with his penis on top of her head. Shocked, disgusted, and offended, Naughright pushed Manning away, removing her head out from under him (see pages 14-15). Within hours, she reported the incident to the Sexual Assault Crisis Center in Knoxville (see page 18).

• Love 10

More on the Target commercial.  I think this is probably the worst Christmas commercial to air ever.  Or at least in the Top 5.  It is so bad that I hope whatever executive hired the advertising firm, whoever approved the commercial, whoever was involved, in any way, lose their jobs.  Actually, I didn't mean that literally; I don't want anyone to lose their job.  Proper punishment would be to put all of them in a room with that commercial running 24/7.

Why is is that the usual suspects of my hatred (WalMart, Hobby Lobby, the sappy ones, stupid ones, etc.) can come up with such cute holiday commercials and Row Row is the best that Target can do?  I would not be surprised if the commercial actually maybe hurt their sales.  Nails on a chalkboard would be an understatement.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Peyton Manning is creepy as fuck in that ad. Of course, I always find him creepy now in light of his alleged sexual assault of a trainer when he was in college. https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395

MARKED AS SPOILER BECAUSE OF POTENTIAL TRIGGERING CONTENT

Reveal hidden contents

On Feb. 29 of that year, Naughright, at that point the university's director of health and wellness, was in a training room, examining what she thought might be a possible stress fracture in Manning's foot. At 6 feet, 5 inches, his feet dangled off the edge of the table. Manning allegedly then proceeded to scoot down the training table while Naughright examined his foot. At that point, she said, he forcefully maneuvered his naked testicles and rectum directly on her face with his penis on top of her head. Shocked, disgusted, and offended, Naughright pushed Manning away, removing her head out from under him (see pages 14-15). Within hours, she reported the incident to the Sexual Assault Crisis Center in Knoxville (see page 18).

I always believed it 100% and my skin crawls whenever I see him on TV. 

• Love 8

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but in one of the Xmas car gift commercials, the first thing the wife says to her husband is "Why are there so many miles on it?". For starters, what does that even mean? Secondly, we know he took it for a drive, but how much could he have driven it?

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but in one of the Xmas car gift commercials, the first thing the wife says to her husband is "Why are there so many miles on it?". For starters, what does that even mean? Secondly, we know he took it for a drive, but how much could he have driven it?

You would expect a new car to have very low mileage. IIRC, they show the odometer and it's like over 500 or 900 miles. That's hours of driving!

ETA: I think the ad is funny.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3

While reading through some of these comments, I saw the Kelly Ripa Ancestry ad five times.  That was in about a 20 minute time frame too.  ENOUGH!  On the other hand, wouldn't that be a great Christmas present for a family member you don't like?  "Merry Christmas!  We find it very hard to believe that you're one of us". 

As for the commerical with the pilot sitting on the toilet all I can think of is how he's probably flushed his budding acting career down the toilet with that one.  

• Love 16

I will be so glad when the season of impossibly gorgeous people with impossibly gorgeous cheekbones and abs highlighted by impossibly gorgeous lighting shot in impossibly gorgeous exotic settings trying to sell me perfume or cologne is over.

(Except for Charlize Theron. She really is impossibly gorgeous.)

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

It had over 900 miles on it, much more than you would expect to see on a new car.  For example, when I got my Durango 4 years ago, it came right off the truck at the dealer, and had 10 miles on it, half of that from the salesman taking it up to fill the tank.  The Stratus I had before that had been sitting on the dealer lot for a while, and had 25 miles on it, including my test drive.  You see him taking quite a ride in it - up through the mountains, on winding roads, and such - he probably took it out a number of times for joy rides before Christmas.

5 hours ago, Brookside said:

There's an ad with an airline pilot sitting on the toilet doing his business.  The ad is for some product you spray in the toilet before you sit down so there's no resultant smell of crap.  It's horrifying.

It is. I saw it a couple of months ago, and commented on it in one of these threads.  I haven't seen it in a while, I hope it hasn't returned to regular rotation.

• Love 3