Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

This irritates me so much. Bought a small Chevy 2 years ago - not all of us want some honking huge car.

The company is saying they want to focus on building more SUVs, trucks, and battery-electric vehicles, so it sounds like they're not giving up on small cars; it's just that the ones they'll be making won't have gasoline engines, so it made more sense to close down the plants making those than convert them.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

Yes, TattleTeeny, thank you!  I've only seen it once this season, but it is We Wish you a Merry Christmas!  

We sometimes find it on YouTube when we want to summon the cat from wherever it is he hides out!

• Love 6

I finally saw the Joe Namath commercial.  All I could think of is that he looked like a marionette and someone was standing over him with strings flipping his head and hands.  I shrieked and tried to grab the remote to change the channel; but Mr. Kemper said he just couldn't look away.  

• Love 9

There is an Alexa device commercial with a small boy and his pig. He takes the pig everywhere and reads to him. Then the pig gets too big and mom and dad relocate him some where else in the house. I can't figure out where but there looks to be a coffee pot on the counter next to the resting pig. I like Alexa but that boy should be cuddled up reading to his pig, not doing it over a screen in the same house. Move the damn furniture. You knew you were getting a pig.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Kemper said:

I finally saw the Joe Namath commercial.  All I could think of is that he looked like a marionette and someone was standing over him with strings flipping his head and hands.  I shrieked and tried to grab the remote to change the channel; but Mr. Kemper said he just couldn't look away.  

OMG I saw it today and nearly died because the marionette description is spot on! 

I was just waiting for him to say, "I wanna kiss you."

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ispot.tv has a description: "A giraffe takes a slurping bite out of the rainbow above before having the Skittles milked out of him. His milker retrieves some of the candy from the pail and eats it, sending him into a fit of laughter."

The giraffe being MILKED is MALE?  And these are the idiots that think it's a good idea: https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/sapientnitro#section-overview

Just the  thought of milking a giraffe is just nasty male or female. Ugh!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ispot.tv has a description: "A giraffe takes a slurping bite out of the rainbow above before having the Skittles milked out of him. His milker retrieves some of the candy from the pail and eats it, sending him into a fit of laughter."

The giraffe being MILKED is MALE?  And these are the idiots that think it's a good idea: https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/sapientnitro#section-overview

There is a giraffe, eating a rainbow, lactating skittles.  Does it really matter if they get the correct sex of the animal?

• Love 7
On 11/28/2018 at 12:07 PM, Rough Draft said:

Whoever does the voice-overs for Gain Detergent ads is just awful. He sounds like his sinuses have been stuffed with styrofoam. 

Norm McDonald, isn't it?

On 11/28/2018 at 6:52 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

The company is saying they want to focus on building more SUVs, trucks, and battery-electric vehicles, so it sounds like they're not giving up on small cars; it's just that the ones they'll be making won't have gasoline engines, so it made more sense to close down the plants making those than convert them.

Which doesn't help the 15,000 people being laid off.  Merry Christmas, y'all!

10 hours ago, xls said:

Just the  thought of milking a giraffe is just nasty male or female. Ugh!

This and the Skittles pox.  Who comes up with these ideas?  Eww.

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Which doesn't help the 15,000 people being laid off.  Merry Christmas, y'all!

Exactly.  I know one.  Starting over when you're pushing 50 is not easy.  And good luck finding a job that will pay you what one you worked at for 20+ years paid you.

My heart breaks for them.  I've been there.

• Love 19
29 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Grrrr, every time I see that commercial, my napolitano temper wants to put the toe of my sexy little boot through her teeth

And what's with the "translation" on the screen when she's speaking English? Was the intent for her to actually speak a little Italian, but a bad fake accent was the best she could do?

• Love 6
On 11/28/2018 at 7:41 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Do you mean "We Wish You a Merry Christmas"? Ever since one of our cats was a baby, he has come running into the room to stare at the TV when he hears that!

I have a memory foam and I don't sink into it. Actually, I was sort of dismayed when we got it; I had a vision of leaving a me-shape in there and that did not happen!

My friend has a funny story about Sleep Number beds. He was in a hotel for just one night for some work trip, and the hotel had that kind of bed. He says that he became so preoccupied with figuring the best number that he stayed up way too late and now he is very emphatic in his opinion that hotels should have Sleep Number beds only for guests staying longer than one night. 

The one time I stayed at a hotel with a Sleep Number bed, its battery was dead.

• Love 1

I hate the Facebook Portal commercials, since they seem to involve families being nasty to each other, but I especially loathe the one with the little bastard with head lice who then rubs his lousy head on the furniture. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

And what's with the "translation" on the screen when she's speaking English? Was the intent for her to actually speak a little Italian, but a bad fake accent was the best she could do?

She does say a few words in Italian during the commercial, and that's what they included in the subtitles.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I hate the Facebook Portal commercials, since they seem to involve families being nasty to each other, but I especially loathe the one with the little bastard with head lice who then rubs his lousy head on the furniture. 

I do laugh at the horrified expression on the woman's face when she realizes her parents are not going to an ugly sweater party.  

• Love 6

Has anyone seen the revolting Aspercream commercial with the two women in the grocery store?  The older woman tells the younger woman she smells “just like dear Harold” and tries nuzzling her around her neck. When the commercial ends the older woman is in hot pursuit of the younger woman.  Creepy-o-Rama. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Has anyone seen the revolting Aspercream commercial with the two women in the grocery store?  The older woman tells the younger woman she smells “just like dear Harold” and tries nuzzling her around her neck. When the commercial ends the older woman is in hot pursuit of the younger woman.  Creepy-o-Rama. 

Well,  it's likely Harold ran for the hills (covering his tracks with Vick's Vap-o-Rub) while the poor shopper could be on the verge of shouting 'ME TOO where are you?!' at the top of her lungs! 

• Love 1
On 11/28/2018 at 8:54 PM, Kemper said:

LIke Joe Namath has to worry about Medicare benefits or getting a ride to the VA.  Give me a break.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:20 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I feel that way about "snack" as a verb.

I feel that way about "impact" as a verb, to  me it is a noun but I gave up a long time ago.  Please no linking a dictionary blurb to my comment - I accept it is a verb, I just don't like it, lol!!

• Love 16
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, TeapotDiva said:

I think the wife in this commercial is the Daughter of Yogurt Bitch.  Hubby buys a red truck for her and a black one for himself; she gloms on to the black truck.  "Honey, I'm glad you like the black truck . . . ."  "I. Love. It."  "But actually the black one is for me . . . ."  "I.  LOVE.  IT!"

Not to mention, what the heck does she need a giant pick-up for?  I mean, that is one big-ass truck!

That's actually the only thing I like about the commercial.  He assumes the woman will want the red suv and he'll get the big black truck (I'm pretty sure they're different vehicles but I could be wrong); I like that she wants the manly vehicle instead.  But I hate the commercial in general.

• Love 7
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, Bastet said:

I don't have one - I'm a Sleep Number fan for life - but I happen to know this: You don't send it back, they arrange to have it picked up by a local charity or mattress recycling company.  What they do if there is no charity interested/with room or mattress recycling company in your general area, though, I do not know.

Oh, well that makes me think more of them.  Still not buying their mattress, but at least they're doing something good with the rejects.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, configdotsys said:

There is an Alexa device commercial with a small boy and his pig. He takes the pig everywhere and reads to him. Then the pig gets too big and mom and dad relocate him some where else in the house. I can't figure out where but there looks to be a coffee pot on the counter next to the resting pig. I like Alexa but that boy should be cuddled up reading to his pig, not doing it over a screen in the same house. Move the damn furniture. You knew you were getting a pig.

I thought the pig was somewhere else, not in the same house.  It looks like some girl leading the pig away in a previous scene.  That commercial annoys me because the parents shouldn't have bought their kid a pig if they weren't going to deal with it getting larger as pigs do.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, cynicat said:

There is a giraffe, eating a rainbow, lactating skittles.  Does it really matter if they get the correct sex of the animal?

One is definitely worse.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought the pig was somewhere else, not in the same house.  It looks like some girl leading the pig away in a previous scene.  That commercial annoys me because the parents shouldn't have bought their kid a pig if they weren't going to deal with it getting larger as pigs do.

It looked like they moved the pig out to the barn once it got too big to keep in the house. 

• Love 4
On 11/30/2018 at 8:06 AM, frenchtoast said:

I don't think the adults are related, she's taking her kids caroling through a neighborhood. In her minivan. With the good speakers. I think that's what the ad is trying to say. So they're just a random couple answering the door.

I hate that commercial b/c dancing poorly to the noise blaring forth from your Chevy is not caroling.

• Love 6
On 12/3/2018 at 3:55 PM, proserpina65 said:

That's actually the only thing I like about the commercial.  He assumes the woman will want the red suv and he'll get the big black truck (I'm pretty sure they're different vehicles but I could be wrong); I like that she wants the manly vehicle instead.  But I hate the commercial in general.

I agree.  Serves him right for buying the little lady a vehicle without her knowledge or preferences.

• Love 7

I don't like the Hershey's commercial where the tween girl is sulking in her room about being dumped/mean girls at school/having her ladytime/etc.  and Mom slides a Hershey's miniature under the door to her.  Then, everything is right with the world again! 

That's not how this is supposed to work!   The angsty tween is supposed to flick the crappy Hershey's back under the door and scream, "GODIVA!".

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Serves him right for buying the little lady a vehicle without her knowledge or preferences.

I'm sure the salesman promised him that they'd swap it for something else if she didn't like it, but for her to choose "his" pickup over the SUV says that he was so clueless he didn't even know something as basic as what type of vehicle to get.

• Love 2
On 11/26/2018 at 7:44 PM, Bastet said:

Also, it says "Gift like a pro," and gift as a verb drives me crazy.

That drives me crazy too. A week or so ago I saw an online headline about an ATM gifting 100 dollar bills. I thought, Oh, it must be a Christmas promotion by a bank. Nope. The software in the ATM was fouled up and was incorrectly spitting out 100s. But the headline writer made it confusing because everyone these days feels like they have to somehow shoehorn gift as a verb into everything. I hate gift as a verb. *angry face*

• Love 5

Dear stupid Liberty Mutual guy who throws his wallet away into the ocean. Please throw yourself away too.  "Depreciation.. 🙄" Yes, asshole. You want your insurance to pay full sticker price for your used car? Because it's "brand new"?? No.. No its not. It's used. Like you would buy a "brand new" used car and pay full sticker price. Idiot!!! 

• Love 16
29 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Dear stupid Liberty Mutual guy who throws his wallet away into the ocean. Please throw yourself away too.  "Depreciation.. 🙄" Yes, asshole. You want your insurance to pay full sticker price for your used car? Because it's "brand new"?? No.. No its not. It's used. Like you would buy a "brand new" used car and pay full sticker price. Idiot!!! 

Research has shown that a new car depreciates about 10% as soon as you drive it off the lot.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Aryanna said:

That drives me crazy too. A week or so ago I saw an online headline about an ATM gifting 100 dollar bills. I thought, Oh, it must be a Christmas promotion by a bank. Nope. The software in the ATM was fouled up and was incorrectly spitting out 100s. But the headline writer made it confusing because everyone these days feels like they have to somehow shoehorn gift as a verb into everything. I hate gift as a verb. *angry face*

dictionary.com recognizes "gift" as a verb

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/gift

2 hours ago, Aryanna said:

A week or so ago I saw an online headline about an ATM gifting 100 dollar bills. I thought, Oh, it must be a Christmas promotion by a bank. Nope. The software in the ATM was fouled up and was incorrectly spitting out 100s.

That kind of thing used to happen because clerks would load the wrong bills into a canister (e.g. put 20's into one set as containing 5's). The banks "solved" that problem by having their ATM's only give 20's. I suspect those 100's weren't really the result of an issue with the software.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

Please tell me, sane people, that I'm not the only one annoyed by the endless KFC commercials.  They just get more and more stupid. 

That one where they are caroling makes me want to stab the lot of them. Airs approximately every five minutes. You are definitely not the only one.

• Love 8