Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

There's an Amazon/Alexa commercial that's been playing incessantly on Pluto TV and it's killing me. It shows a fake weather reporter doing a fake weather report about an incoming fake blizzard, and the voiceover is some guy whining that it's so terrible there's going to be a storm. Then his girlfriend/wife-person v/os that it's great, because they can be snowed in watching their favorite shows. He responds to this like an actual human who's a) never had a snow day or other weather-related situation that makes him stay inside; and b) never imagined that one COULD stay in and binge shows when the weather's bad. He also assumes, without asking, that his partner will want to watch Jack Ryan and has Alexa put it on immediately. He ALSO thinks his significant other is some kind of atom-splitting genius for coming up with this radical concept of staying the hell inside and watching t.v. when the weather is shit. In short, he is a moronic character in a moronic commercial that assumes the rest of us are equally dumb and can't figure out what to do when we can't go outside. Oh, and the ad also makes it seem as if Alexa can walk on over and put popcorn in the popcorn popper before she turns it on for you--which the stupid guy in the commercial would probably actually think was possible.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 6
On 12/14/2018 at 9:05 PM, hammerhead said:

I have lurked and laughed for a bit, but I made an account to post about a commercial that I’ve not seen mentioned yet: the Christmas market commercial from Verizon. The little girl is cute and all, but I cringe in spite of myself when she says the very forced “how dare you” after the guy takes a piece of popcorn 

I thought she was trying for a non-serious, Gilmore Girls-type delivery of that line. She sounds like a miniature Rory Gilmore to me for some reason, and I barely even watched that show.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, Moose135 said:

It had over 900 miles on it, much more than you would expect to see on a new car.  For example, when I got my Durango 4 years ago, it came right off the truck at the dealer, and had 10 miles on it, half of that from the salesman taking it up to fill the tank.  The Stratus I had before that had been sitting on the dealer lot for a while, and had 25 miles on it, including my test drive.  You see him taking quite a ride in it - up through the mountains, on winding roads, and such - he probably took it out a number of times for joy rides before Christmas.

Someone drove mine from a couple hundred miles away to the where I bought my last newest card. I didn't realize the odometer has almost 1000 miles on it, but it still seems a little bitchy to me when she demands why the mileage is so high.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, smittykins said:

Does anyone else think that the “Lindt master chocolatier” looks skeevy?

Just me then?

I'm too busy wondering how one man is producing the world's supply of their chocolate.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, friendperidot said:

However, there is a cute ad for Macy's with a young woman who keeps trying to sneak up on her boyfriend but he catches her because of her scent. Then she runs out of it, but surprise, he's gone to the perfume counter at Macy's and bought her a new supply. He picks the scent with the help of a helpful counter assistant and she can't sneak up on him because he's blind and he picks up her scent every time. It's rather sweet and I must have been impressed because I remember it's Macy's. 

That sounds like how one puts a bell on a cat collar.

• Love 2

Chevrolet's current commercials offer customers the same discount that's available to their employees, who are all "part of the Chevy family" (which is nauseating enough right there).  Throughout, we're subjected to high-pitched, shrilly piercing children's voices telling us that their parents work for Chevy (as if that were something special to be proud of).  I certainly don't miss the bearded twerp with the clipboard who induces "real people, not actors" to squeal & otherwise over-react to unremarkable Chevrolet vehicles, but this new series is hardly an improvement. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

Chevrolet's current commercials offer customers the same discount that's available to their employees, who are all "part of the Chevy family" (which is nauseating enough right there).  Throughout, we're subjected to high-pitched, shrilly piercing children's voices telling us that their parents work for Chevy (as if that were something special to be proud of).  I certainly don't miss the bearded twerp with the clipboard who induces "real people, not actors" to squeal & otherwise over-react to unremarkable Chevrolet vehicles, but this new series is hardly an improvement. 

Especially since Chevrolet is closing their US plants and their parents will be out of a job.

• Love 12

Re Chevy employee discount ads- that's funny, because I was actually thinking of posting on the 'Commercials I Like' page about this one. I just love the little black girl in the yellow caped coat snuggling up to her (handsome) father.

OTOH, I grind my teeth at the truck ad that shows the other family members sleeping with their favorite gifts, then cuts to dopey daddy sleeping in the back of his brand new truck.

In general, though, it's amazing the number of car/truck ads that are running, which imply that they could be 'gifts'. I know the bow-on-the-car thing is hardly new, but it always makes me wonder how many vehicles are actually sold as presents.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Um... No. Just no. 

YUCK! Flushing Frenzy  would be more apt to give those de rigeur relatives one dislikes who have small kids and live in tiny apartments than even Billy Bass!  At SOME point, tastelessness has to bottom out and folks en masse will decide enough's too much and actually value manners and courtesy instead of deriding them. Right? I'm so thankful I've never seen the commercial  on my TV for such a rotten 'toy'!  A hearty BOO!!!!! for Mattel! 

• Love 6
On 12/23/2018 at 9:07 AM, mojoween said:

This is a commercial I actually, literally, for real, saw on TV today.

What.  The fuck.

As if kids don't treat the toilet as a toy too much already. "Ooh, look at the sock go swirling around!"

And from the link above: "But now, thanks in large part to the adorable nature of Apple’s poop emoji"

It's only the emoji-making part of Apple that likes the emojis. The rest of us are very very sorry.

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 3

oh wow, just wow. that was disgusting, but it did make me think of the scene in the pool in Caddy Shack with the Baby Ruth candy bar. Now, I have to give up Baby Ruth candy bars for a while until this is gone from my brain. and I really like Baby Ruth candy bars. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

oh wow, just wow. that was disgusting, but it did make me think of the scene in the pool in Caddy Shack with the Baby Ruth candy bar. Now, I have to give up Baby Ruth candy bars for a while until this is gone from my brain. and I really like Baby Ruth candy bars. 

Doody!

• Love 8
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, mojoween said:

What.  The fuck.

That's real? image.png.9d6d1a5731eba5a99b738b40750494b2.png

• Love 3

People often question where those bows come from.   I saw an entire rack of them at Michael's the other day.   They weren't just random large bows.  They literally said they were "car gift bows".  

• Love 11
18 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I thought you would all appreciate this, given all the new car commercials we've been talking about:

image.png.dcca49013b7b74851c2bd57c59a0396b.png

That'd be something I would do! Id rent a limo. Haha

• Love 6
On 12/23/2018 at 12:07 PM, mojoween said:

What.  The fuck.

I now have the urge to spend the next two hours washing my hands. 

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, chessiegal said:

No kidding about kids and toilets. My step-daughter said she noticed her kids had gotten really quiet, so went to see what they were up to. They were merrily flushing things down the toilet in the new bathroom they had added.

That reminds me of this ad that's been in circulation for awhile that bugs me. It features a couple in their living room wondering why it's so quiet and seeing their kid playing in the driveway on their security camera, followed by them rushing out to stop them. On the one hand, that kid is going to get hurt, but OTOH, I don't like "helicopter parents".

Can we talk about the commercial with the man who buys matching GMC SUVs, a red one and a black one, for him and his wife? And the wife runs outside and immediately grabs the black one for herself when clearly he meant for her to have the red one but she is adamant that she loves the black one so he gives in and says "I like red." I'm torn because on the one hand if your husband buys you a car you should take the one he meant for you. She obviously knows he meant for her to have the red one and won't let him get a word in edgewise when he tries to tell her. On the other hand a car is a hugely expensive gift to surprise someone with. Maybe check with them first.

Also? I can't believe Daniel di Tomasso is reduced to doing commercials for GMC's Black Friday Event. Not to be elitist, or anything, but this guy's career seems to be going downhill. First time I ever saw him in anything I figured he had a big future in TV and maybe even movies. 

47 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Can we talk about the commercial with the man who buys matching GMC SUVs, a red one and a black one, for him and his wife? And the wife runs outside and immediately grabs the black one for herself when clearly he meant for her to have the red one but she is adamant that she loves the black one so he gives in and says "I like red." I'm torn because on the one hand if your husband buys you a car you should take the one he meant for you. She obviously knows he meant for her to have the red one and won't let him get a word in edgewise when he tries to tell her. On the other hand a car is a hugely expensive gift to surprise someone with. Maybe check with them first.

Also? I can't believe Daniel di Tomasso is reduced to doing commercials for GMC's Black Friday Event. Not to be elitist, or anything, but this guy's career seems to be going downhill. First time I ever saw him in anything I figured he had a big future in TV and maybe even movies. 

I noticed today that at the start, the things she presents him with seem to be watches - a red one and a black one; she hands him the red one. Foreshadowing? Yes, I have too much time on my hands. And I don't mean a wrist watch.  LOL.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Can we talk about the commercial with the man who buys matching GMC SUVs, a red one and a black one, for him and his wife?

I'm not sure if it's this thread or the Holiday Commercials one, but we have - you are not alone is disliking it, just like most (all?) commercials in which someone surprises someone with a car for Christmas.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

And the wife runs outside and immediately grabs the black one for herself when clearly he meant for her to have the red one

But it's not clear to her at that point.  As he says, "One for you and one for me," he's gesturing to the red one as he says "for you" and to the black one as he says "for me," but she's not looking at him, so she doesn't see what we see.  She's standing next to him, with both facing forward, and as soon as they step outside, her eyes are - quite naturally - on the two gigantic vehicles in front of her, not him.

After he muttered, "Actually, that one was going to be for -" she could have opted to cut him off with an "Oh" and the ensuing awkward conversation instead of another "I love it," but I can't bring myself to care.  If he's going to do something as stupid as this purchase, and she's so drawn to the black one, then he can just content himself with the red one.  (Which, to give him his due, he does - his "And I love that you love it" and "I like red" are increasingly good natured; he's down with this twist within about five seconds.)  I'm sure he prefers her "I love it" reaction to what mine would have been, which is something along the lines of "What the ever-loving fuck were you thinking?"

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What pisses me off is that they are NOT matching SUVs. If you look closely, the black one is a Canyon Denali pick up truck and the red is a Yukon SUV. I didn't notice it until I saw the commercial a few times and then got more furious. The commercial drives me insane because it just shows another whipped husband and a bitch wife who says, "I love it" in a tone that really says, "Don't you dare try to take this from me." 

Edited by configdotsys
  • Love 6

I cried when I saw the RN and edible arrangement commercial. As an RN in the emergency room for 29 years, I was required to work either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day every year and could not travel to be with my parents for the holidays. They have both passed and I would have given anything to have had those holidays with them. 

Back OT, I don’t know what the ad is for but it it has a woman singing “so why don’t we go somewhere only we know” and when she sings the final word “know” it is so nasally and bizarre sounding that my stomach tightens up and it’s like nails on a chalk board to me. The remote is always out of reach or I can’t get to it fast enough so I just have to run out of the room screaming when it comes on.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, configdotsys said:

What pisses me off is that they are NOT matching SUVs. If you look closely, the black one is a Canyon Denali pick up truck and the red is a Yukon SUV. I didn't notice it until I saw the commercial a few times and then got more furious. The commercial drives me insane because it just shows another whipped husband and a bitch wife who says, "I love it" in a tone that really says, "Don't you dare try to take this from me." 

I get the impression that it's a new marriage, but that wife is clearly in charge & that husband is already groveling. 

• Love 2

If Reese Witherspoon is back next year as the face of Crate & Barrel, I hope to god she tones down the scarlet lipstick and offers me, her soon-to-be bestie, something a bit better than that so-called cute decanter.

I hope Kelly Ripa's New Year's resolution is to stop annoying the crap out of people.

• Love 22
5 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

If Reese Witherspoon is back next year as the face of Crate & Barrel, I hope to god she tones down the scarlet lipstick and offers me, her soon-to-be bestie, something a bit better than that so-called cute decanter.

I hope Kelly Ripa's New Year's resolution is to stop annoying the crap out of people.

I swear to god, the first time I heard that, I thought she said "cure for cancer".

• Love 10

If he's going to do something as stupid as this purchase, and she's so drawn to the black one, then he can just content himself with the red one. 

I suppose he could also trade it in for another black one, to be fair. The dealership probably doesn't care as long as it's the same money, or that he makes up the difference.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, Ashforth said:

Years ago one of the Charlize Theron perfume commercials used this song, which is simply a great effing song.

I used to think this was Dolly Parton singing.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, peacheslatour said:

"Order online and then pick up in store, usually within 2 hours." So basically they are turning sales staff into shipping clerks. Retail sales can be a decent career and some people really make a successful living out of it. Gregarious types really get off on making the sale and interacting with people who appreciate their products and services. I liked working the floor when I was in retail. I did not want to be a shipping clerk.

I was the exact opposite, but then, I hated the customers.

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, chessiegal said:

Especially since Chevrolet is closing their US plants and their parents will be out of a job.

They're not closing all their US plants, just the ones which make non-electric cars.  Bad enough, though.

20 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I don't see it as a whipped husband.  I see it as an asshole husband who assumes the wife automatically gets the suv while he gets the manly pickup truck.  I hate the commercial, but like that she keeps the truck and makes him take the suv.

• Love 10
53 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I suppose he could also trade it in for another black one, to be fair. The dealership probably doesn't care as long as it's the same money, or that he makes up the difference.

He'd have to make up the difference.  That baby started depreciating the moment it rolled off the lot.  Although that would make a great crossover to a Liberty Mutual commercial.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 12
23 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

They're not closing all their US plants, just the ones which make non-electric cars.  Bad enough, though.

I don't see it as a whipped husband.  I see it as an asshole husband who assumes the wife automatically gets the suv while he gets the manly pickup truck.  I hate the commercial, but like that she keeps the truck and makes him take the suv.

If he wanted to make clear which was his car and which was her present, he should've put a bigass ribbon on it. Otherwise it's pretty natural to think you get to pick the one you want.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Sometimes I am thick. I just saw the commercial funny because she wanted the pick up truck instead of the SUV. I would do the same thing, i love trucks. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, same here. I see it as someone who made a major purchase without knowing enough about what their partner would even want.  And I agree with @Jamoche.  If he didn't want to give her a choice, he should have made it clear which one was hers before she made a choice.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I figured the guy bought a pickup because he needed it for work. Do people really buy a pick up truck just to drive a pick up truck? I didn't realize that. 

I see middle aged housewives driving Humvies to the grocery store here in the wealthy suburb I live in. 

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I figured the guy bought a pickup because he needed it for work. Do people really buy a pick up truck just to drive a pick up truck? I didn't realize that. 

I use our current pickup truck to drive to the grocery store.  If I have an extra-large shopping list, all the bags get put in the bed of the truck.  And I do love having a truck; I can see over traffic.

• Love 3