Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Café standards?

CAFE standards are govt fuel efficiency standards that require auto makers to increase the overall fuel efficiency of their fleets overtime.  As the standards became tighter the car makers eliminated lower selling SUV models (and some sedans) in order to continue making pickups, which are their bread and butter, thus raising their fuel efficiency average for the whole fleet. 

"Edmunds reports the Xterra is leaving these shores for regulatory reasons, with Nissan finding no business case in bringing the SUV up to code for an audience that also adores the Jeep Wrangler. Updating the Xterra to meet regulatory and environmental requirements was deemed too costly for such a low volume product. CAFE regulations also don’t favor the Xterra’s small, body-on-frame SUV layout, making the updates a tougher sell."

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/02/nissan-xterra-leaving-us-market-2015-model-year/

3 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

CAFE standards are govt fuel efficiency standards that require auto makers to increase the overall fuel efficiency of their fleets overtime.  As the standards became tighter the car makers eliminated lower selling SUV models (and some sedans) in order to continue making pickups, which are their bread and butter, thus raising their fuel efficiency average for the whole fleet. 

"Edmunds reports the Xterra is leaving these shores for regulatory reasons, with Nissan finding no business case in bringing the SUV up to code for an audience that also adores the Jeep Wrangler. Updating the Xterra to meet regulatory and environmental requirements was deemed too costly for such a low volume product. CAFE regulations also don’t favor the Xterra’s small, body-on-frame SUV layout, making the updates a tougher sell."

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/02/nissan-xterra-leaving-us-market-2015-model-year/

Okay, that makes sense.  I'd just never seen it put like that before, not in writing anyway.  Sucks that Nissan couldn't make it work for the Xterra.

I did try typing CAFE standards, but autocorrect didn't like it the first time, apparently.  Maybe I didn't capitalize.  I kinda like café standards - makes me think of French people sipping coffee and eating croissants.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Sucks that Nissan couldn't make it work for the Xterra.

My backup plan was to buy the Toyota FJ Cruiser, but Toyota eliminated that for the same reason.  Now I have a Toyota Rav4, which gets good gas mileage, but I miss the tall stance of the Xterra, which I called the cheapest, tallest SUV.  (When I bought the Mustang, Ford just introduced the Expedition. I should have been wary when the top of Mustang's roof didn't reach the bottom of the windows of the Expedition.) The Xterra was great in snow storms and also saved me a few times driving through flooded streets. 

33 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I'm not interested in seeing this every day for the next 3 1/2 months.

But at least its...Free!

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Another stupid one: some little cube shaped spy camera described as "one square inch." It's a cube!

One squared inch is the volume of a cube one inch on each side. :-)

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, Brookside said:

And then there's one for Eggo where the husband wakes his wife up by force feeding her a piece of waffle.  Not a smart move on several levels.

Am I the only one who thinks his wife's reaction is that of someone whose husband initiates oral sex in that manner?

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:50 PM, Silver Raven said:

Oprah is a co-owner of the company.

Oh, I know Oprah is a co-owner, which makes it more annoying to see her in the ads pretending to be a "regular" customer, like people from "flyover country".

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Café standards?

That reminds me. There's an ad back in circulation with George Clooney, who I dislike, is a knight in a movie who leaves the film, accompanied by that overused Peter Gabriel song in search of Nescafe. Quit wasting your time on the garbage and get a real coffee beverage!

41 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

The NutriSystem ads are relentless right now! But at least they're keeping me from having to see that psoriasis Shreck looking dude brag about his sexy elbows twice an hour.

Is he the guy who gets dirty looks from people at the salad bar?

• Love 3

Updating the Xterra to meet regulatory and environmental requirements was deemed too costly for such a low volume product.

"Low volume" is the key phrase here. If they sold well, Nissan would be happy to update them. 

Glad to see the "buy a car for Xmas" commercial wave is largely over. Except for GMC...they keep running "I LOVE It" and that one does annoy me.

But apparently there is a significant number of people who do buy cars as presents. 10% of some luxury car brands' sales in December are gifts https://www.seattletimes.com/business/yes-those-giant-car-bows-are-real-and-theyre-key-to-making-a-holiday-sale/

22 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

That reminds me. There's an ad back in circulation with George Clooney, who I dislike, is a knight in a movie who leaves the film, accompanied by that overused Peter Gabriel song in search of Nescafe. Quit wasting your time on the garbage and get a real coffee beverage!

Awww, I love the full version of that commercial.  And it's for Nespresso, which is like a higher-end Keurig.  I don't think it's the same thing as Nescafe.   (That's the first time I've ever heard Solsbury Hill in a commercial, btw.  Maybe it's more commonly used in Europe?)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Just found this topic, so forgive me if these have been discussed in detail. There are 3 commercial campaigns right now that really bother me...

The Bud Light "For the many, not the few". Just because I don't drink your mass produced swill doesn't make me pretentious. And your caricature of them isn't funny either.

This season's Aaron Rodgers State Farm ads. I thought the ones last year with him sticking his tongue out while leaning out of  his truck were creepy, but the ones with his agent this year are so stupid. Especially the one where the agent lights a candle in the bathroom and makes up some story about never having been in a bathroom.

But the one that annoys me the most is the Dominos dinner bell. I've never had an ad campaign make me hit the mute button so fast. The "DOM!" is so grating.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, BTBAM310 said:

But the one that annoys me the most is the Dominos dinner bell. I've never had an ad campaign make me hit the mute button so fast. The "DOM!" is so grating.

It's actually "dong" because it's a bell, but I'm not sure how many people above the age of 12 want their phone to suddenly say that due to its slang meaning.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

Why is he ringing the bell when his wife is at work and his daughter is at practice?  Why does the daughter tumble home?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, janie jones said:

Why is he ringing the bell when his wife is at work and his daughter is at practice?  Why does the daughter tumble home?

That's what I want to know. Who orders dinner when everyone else is busy? Why didn't wait until his wife is getting off work and his daughter's finished with her practice? I know the other two weren't technically working or at a practice but its still crap they had to bail on boyfriend and friend because Dad decided right now without caring about what anyone else in his family was doing that it was dinner time. I hate him standing out there as they each arrive home.  

• Love 6
14 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

It's actually "dong" because it's a bell, but I'm not sure how many people above the age of 12 want their phone to suddenly say that due to its slang meaning.

It may be another Laurel/Yanni situation, but I hear DOM!, as in Domino's.  Stupid commercial either way.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, that makes sense.  I'd just never seen it put like that before, not in writing anyway.  Sucks that Nissan couldn't make it work for the Xterra.

I did try typing CAFE standards, but autocorrect didn't like it the first time, apparently.  Maybe I didn't capitalize.  I kinda like café standards - makes me think of French people sipping coffee and eating croissants.

"Have you ever been to that bakery?"

"I used to go there, but not anymore. Under the new ownership, their croissants are tough, their coffee is weak, and they've moved the outdoor seating to the side of the building where the peoplewatching is lousy. Plus, no umbrellas."

"Mon dieu--I don't blame you! They're clearly not meeting café standards."

• Love 12
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's what I want to know. Who orders dinner when everyone else is busy? Why didn't wait until his wife is getting off work and his daughter's finished with her practice? I know the other two weren't technically working or at a practice but its still crap they had to bail on boyfriend and friend because Dad decided right now without caring about what anyone else in his family was doing that it was dinner time. I hate him standing out there as they each arrive home.  

There are SOME people (I won't mention who) are fixated on having dinner at a certain hour, on the dot.  Maybe he is one of those. :)

• Love 1

I thought about posting this one in the "baffled" thread, but it's not that I'm confused by the commercial. I'm confused by the product, namely the Listerine Ready Tab that's supposed to clean your mouth. In the ad, the guy, an airplane passenger, puts this tab in his mouth while the voiceover raves about how you chew it and it turns to liquid in your mouth and you swish it around and it cleans in there like a mouthwash. And then the guy SWALLOWS. So he's swallowing the bacteria-and-food-particle-laden swill created by the Listerine Ready Tab? OMG THAT IS VILE. Because we all swallow mouthwash after we use it, right? Good grief.

ETA:

On second thought, I'm not confused by the product. I get the utility of a tab you can take on the plane (since you can't carry on bottles of liquid) like mouthwash. It might be nice to be able to use it in the bathroom, where you can spit it outBut why does Listerine, via this ad, appear to be instructing people to swallow this product?! Why would anyone want to do that?? Aargh!

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 4
On 12/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, BigBingerBro said:

Oooo I missed the Peleton-hate session!    I immediately change the channel with these vapid, obnoxious, pompous people come on the air.  It's almost laughable when the 60+ guy desperately trying to look 25 exclaims "I'm in the best shape of my life" - well good for you, don't forget to soak your teeth tonight.     Are these things interactive?   The trainers scream at you, but can they hear/see the people at home at all?  If I had one of those, I'd probably be banned from their network for screaming obscenities back to them.   I'd much rather watch the news or my favorite 1980's sitcom while exercising, rather than getting a travel monologue from Santorini or Bali. 

I am taking the opportunity to engage in some Peloton purchaser ridicule since I missed a lot of the Peloton hate posts myself. :) 

I notice that after Christmas when I was feeling such relief that the Peloton commercials were done, all of a sudden they are hawking their on-line training assistance. And the BEST part is that it works "anywhere, anytime with any equipment". Ha, joke's on you Peloton purchasers. You spent mega money on Peloton equipment when hey, my 10 year old treadmill will work with Peloton, as if I wanted to engage in the pretension that is Peloton.

• Love 5
On 1/2/2019 at 1:04 PM, mmecorday said:

The NutriSystem ads are relentless right now!

They're claiming a loss of over a half inch per pound. I don't know what they're measuring that would add up to that, but it kills their credibility.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Thanks for the clarification - I assumed it was DOM because it was Dominos.

I don't hear "dong" at all; I hear "dommmmm" (as in Domino's) -- and I don't hear it as a sound made by a thing but by the voices of people who are trying to sound like a bell.

Edited because I made a very bad sentence! This one's not that much better!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't hear "dong" at all; I hear "dommmmm" (as in Domino's) -- and I don't hear it as a sound made by a thing but by the voices of people who are trying to sound like a bell.

What I just googled definitely has a reverberating "g" sound, but they could have produced a new version if somebody complained. I doubt that it's entirely people. They probably processed the voice(s) electronically to get the bell effect.

5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

So "dad-uh" rewards the teenage daughter's bad behavior by building her a pool?

My husband said something similar when we first saw this commercial, too.  My interpretation was that he wouldn't have to take time out of his busy day driving her to Jessica's house if their house became the one that everyone hung out at.  Plus it's less lawn for him to mow, plus the sweaty rest of the family can enjoy the pool.  The minus of the bratty teenager getting a pool is outweighed by the pluses. 

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

What I just googled definitely has a reverberating "g" sound, but they could have produced a new version if somebody complained. I doubt that it's entirely people. They probably processed the voice(s) electronically to get the bell effect.

Oh, I figured it was somehow synthesized or whatever--but meant to sound like people? Oh, I don't know. But yeah, it is annoying in a way I cannot even really articulate. Seriously, why this commercial while others just blow right by me?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

So "dad-uh" rewards the teenage daughter's bad behavior by building her a pool?

Yeah, spend the next few months building a swimming pool instead of spending 10 minutes driving her to Jessica's house. 

She yells at him "Dad-uh. Can you take me to Jessica's house." All he does is sigh and then she growls at him. And on top of all that, they used a horrible song.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Yeah, spend the next few months building a swimming pool instead of spending 10 minutes driving her to Jessica's house. 

The ad spends a lot of time showing him pushing a mower, so I think not having to cut all that grass was intended to be a factor in his decision.

• Love 3
On 1/3/2019 at 9:47 PM, Aryanna said:

I think the idea is that he never has to drive her to Jessica or anyone else's house again. Or bring the younger kid to friends' houses.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You know when you put an in ground pool in, there is a very large hole in the ground that one could put a body into before the concrete is poured. Just sayin'.

Sometimes you scare me, Peaches.

• Love 5
On 1/2/2019 at 11:17 AM, janie jones said:

This entire series of commercials is so annoying.  "Freefreefree" When I hear it from the other room it sounds like a little piglet squealing, "squee squee squeee!"   Ugh.

The other one I've come to hate is the promo for I Am the Night.  They always do this.  A show is coming soon, the promo looks intriguing, but they beat it to death so much that by the time it airs I'm over it.

• Love 4
On 1/4/2019 at 10:36 AM, LoneHaranguer said:

The ad spends a lot of time showing him pushing a mower, so I think not having to cut all that grass was intended to be a factor in his decision.

I've got an idea! How about brat child mows the grass, and then rides her bike to Jessica's house. Spoiled brat. 

• Love 7
On 1/2/2019 at 12:17 PM, janie jones said:

I have no idea what the football story has to do with tax software.  I've used TurboTax for more than 15 years, and I don't get it.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:37 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I hate the Ray Liotta ads for Chantix.  Maybe it's because he has so much Botox, or maybe it's because it's on all the time, but it bugs the crap out of me. 

I'm pretty sure what is weird about Ray Liotta's appearance is that he has tattooed eyeliner.  that's what it looked like to me when he was on that cop show with Jennifer Lopez. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, peacheslatour said:

You know when you put an in ground pool in, there is a very large hole in the ground that one could put a body into before the concrete is poured. Just sayin'.

that was the plot of a move called "The Gazebo"  that I saw when I was young, and had never heard of a gazebo before. (we lived in the city).  Anyway, as an adult, any time I ever heard of someone putting a gazebo in their yard, I looked at them with suspicion.  

• Love 5

Ahhh, January, when the kill-me-right-now perfume and car commercials, which lately start well before Halloween,  have faded from my TV screen, to be supplanted by diet plans and tax services ads.  April 15 seems like a long, long time from now.  

• Love 8
19 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I've got an idea! How about brat child mows the grass, and then rides her bike to Jessica's house. Spoiled brat. 

Without knowing where the houses are, I'm willing to give her a pass on needing to be driven, but not her attitude about it.

• Love 3

Peaches, haven't I seen you profiled on "Deadly Women?" :D

• Love 8
On 1/4/2019 at 11:36 AM, LoneHaranguer said:

We had a pool when I was a kid and I remember it being a lot more work than mowing a lawn. I've also heard from people who have owned pools that the two best days of having a pool is the first day and the day you sell the house.  And I've been told that they don't really increase the value of the home.

• Love 4
On 1/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, janie jones said:

I think the idea is that he never has to drive her to Jessica or anyone else's house again. Or bring the younger kid to friends' houses.

Yes, the tag line is something about making the most of the house while the kids still live there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Aryanna said:

We had a pool when I was a kid and I remember it being a lot more work than mowing a lawn. I've also heard from people who have owned pools that the two best days of having a pool is the first day and the day you sell the house.  And I've been told that they don't really increase the value of the home.

We also had a pool when I was a kid and my dad hated it.  The saying also goes for motorhomes and boats, too.  "What are the happiest two days in an RVer's life? The day they buy the RV and the day they sell it." hehe My husband and I say it all the time about our motorhome because a house going down the road ALWAYS has something going wrong with it. Grrr!

• Love 1
Just now, raiderred1 said:

We also had a pool when I was a kid and my dad hated it.  The saying also goes for motorhomes and boats, too.  "What are the happiest two days in an RVer's life? The day they buy the RV and the day they sell it." hehe My husband and I say it all the time about our motorhome because a house going down the road ALWAYS has something going wrong with it. Grrr!

My parents always had a boats. They got progressively bigger as the years went on. And the bigger they got, the more expensive it got to maintain them. Plus moorage, fuel, insurance, etc. My mom used to call them "holes in the water that you throw money into."

• Love 7

Some folks enjoy their RVs, though. I met a couple in one when I was going down the Natchez Trace. She told me they sold their house & bought a new, smaller one now that they're empty-nesters. Before they formally moved in, her husband suggested they try RV'ing for, maybe, 6 weeks & see if they like it. TEN YEARS later, they're still driving their "house" around and having the time of their lives. She's got one of those walking sticks she collects medallions for & she's got more medallion than stick. We kept running into one another at the "overlooks" & historic sites. I found that one of the coolest things about driving the Trace - the people you meet more than once along the road. It was great fun.

• Love 6