Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I watch TV on my ipad while using my exercise machine. When a show goes to a break, I get 5 or 6 commercials. And each break at least two of them are for some car, where the guy gets a text, then drives to his friend's house. Guy answers the door. The driver says "Not much. How 'bout you?"   "Are you answering my text in person?" I could recite the thing word for word. I must see it 6 or 8 times in 45 minutes.

Edited by dleighg
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Has anyone brought up the commercial for some loan company, where at the end, this little girl picks up a phone I guess, and in a sing-songy voice calls out "Daaadddyyy! It's for yooouuu!" It's super annoying to me for some reason. So of course, I hear it twenty times a day.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

Has anyone brought up the commercial for some loan company, where at the end, this little girl picks up a phone I guess, and in a sing-songy voice calls out "Daaadddyyy! It's for yooouuu!" It's super annoying to me for some reason. So of course, I hear it twenty times a day.

Drives me nuts. It's not cute, it's irritating as hell.

• Love 4

I hate that loan commercial.     There's one of the personal injury/auto accident attorneys who's advertising all during the two hours of Judge Judy I get on weekdays.    They usually have the middle segment of commercials where they show at least five or more commercials in a row, and they showed his same commercial three times in that one commercial break, and it's on at least 10 times in the two hours.    

• Love 1
On 11/15/2020 at 3:54 PM, icemiser69 said:

I would rather "go with the flow".

Or the gush? yipes. 

On 11/15/2020 at 7:19 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

Warning if you haven't seen them yet, but two stupid holiday-themed car commercials are back: the Buick ads where people surprise themselves with a new car (complete with a bow on it) and the (Ford?) ad where the guy gets his wife a red SUV for Christmas and she picks the black truck instead.

(This is reminding me that I haven't seen the "Real People, Not Actors" Chevy commercials lately thanks to the pandemic, which maybe I should be thankful for.)

Yeah cause them yuppies in thier Nightmare Modern house NEED those huge-humongous gas guzzlers to haul hay in from the south 40.

The older model in super high heels is probably because after wearing them for decades her calf muscles have shrunk and she can't wear flats. (It happened to my spike heel loving aunt - she had a terrible time her last few years.) 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

he is REALLY rough looking, isn't he?

At first I was embarrassed for him, now I am just annoyed.  They run it on CNN and MSNBC almost continuously. I hate when he says, "It's free!" They must be paying him a lot of money to do this.  Maybe he needs it.

Also Tom Sellick with the reverse mortgage commercials.  I used to like him, now I can't stand him.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

At first I was embarrassed for him, now I am just annoyed.  They run it on CNN and MSNBC almost continuously. I hate when he says, "It's free!" They must be paying him a lot of money to do this.  Maybe he needs it.

Also Tom Sellick with the reverse mortgage commercials.  I used to like him, now I can't stand him.

The problem with those commercials is they run ALL THE TIME.

I don't have a problem with them doing commercials though.  There used to be this website (I think it was called JapanEnder or something like that) where they showed videos of commercials Hollywood stars do in Japan.  At the time (late 90's early 00's) Hollywood stars didn't do commercials in the US.  

My feeling is that these people have a short shelf life, why not milk it for every cent?  

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

The problem with those commercials is they run ALL THE TIME.

I don't have a problem with them doing commercials though.  There used to be this website (I think it was called JapanEnder or something like that) where they showed videos of commercials Hollywood stars do in Japan.  At the time (late 90's early 00's) Hollywood stars didn't do commercials in the US.  

My feeling is that these people have a short shelf life, why not milk it for every cent?  

And they're approximately twenty seven hours long. Especially the ones with the red, white and blue graphic.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

With all the health experts imploring us, begging us, to forego holiday gatherings this year, this JC Penney commercial annoys me, especially the gathering at the end.  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/tna1/jcpenney-holidays-joy-to-everyone#

The problem with the commercial is the end.  

At first they show families.  Fine, they might all live together anyway.

But the ending made no sense.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I will cut JC Penney some slack, that commercial was most likely made long ago when perhaps many thought what was going on earlier in the year would be resolved by now.   There are things that offend me, this commercial isn't one of them.   No company is going to go out of their way and try and offend their customers.

It might very well have been made long ago, but it was stupid and insensitive of them to air it NOW.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I will cut JC Penney some slack, that commercial was most likely made long ago when perhaps many thought what was going on earlier in the year would be resolved by now.   There are things that offend me, this commercial isn't one of them.   No company is going to go out of their way and try and offend their customers.

It might very well have been made long ago, but it was stupid and insensitive of them to air it NOW.

I'm not offended one bit.  In fact - I welcome a bit of 'regular normal'.  I'm sick and tired of seeing masked up people in commercials.  I know...I understand....I'm living it. Can I please have my commercials (and tv shows) without constantly reminding us what a depressing and frustrating time this is?  I'm not going to go and play social distancing/mask police because I don't know anyone's circumstances.  How do we know family members aren't getting tested prior to gathering?  I want to see normal-normal - not this new-normal I'm being controlled by.  I don't need anymore anxiety as it is and find a bit of 'how it's supposed to be' in my commercials welcoming and refreshing

• Love 17
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Unless you're Giant Foods on the East Coast, which put out a print ad telling you to have a "super spread" for Thanksgiving.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Unless you're Giant Foods on the East Coast, which put out a print ad telling you to have a "super spread" for Thanksgiving.

who on earth is running these promotions? Are they idiots?

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

The problem with the commercial is the end.  

At first they show families.  Fine, they might all live together anyway.

But the ending made no sense.  

I agree; for most of the commercial, everyone shown readily appeared to be individual families celebrating within their own household, so I wouldn't have thought a thing of it had it ended with the last one of those.  But the fan fiction one would have to write to explain how that one gathering at the end was responsible despite the lack of any distancing or mask wearing ruined the whole thing.

3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Especially since it's only that one scene that is problematic; they could have easily edited that one out.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, debbie311 said:

There's a commercial for some type of COPD drug.  The woman is sitting on her couch, takes the scissors and cuts off her hospital ID band (which indicates she is a COPD patient), then gets up and collects an ash try and coffee mug, takes them to a flea market and sells the coffee mug.

I don't get it.  Why get rid of a coffee mug if you have COPD? Is it because people who smoke also drink coffee, and they can't drink coffee without smoking?

Moving this quote over here because this commercial has me scrambling for the remote.  Shame on the person who decided to use Nina Simone’s Feeling Good.  I don’t think it’s even Nina Simone singing.

• Love 2

And now we have Kartrashians hitting the commercial trail.  Khloe is touting migraine medicine all with her millions in plastic surgery and badly over lined lips to give her a fake enormous trout pout.  Maybe if she didn’t go under the knife so much, she wouldn’t get migraines.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

With all the health experts imploring us, begging us, to forego holiday gatherings this year, this JC Penney commercial annoys me, especially the gathering at the end.  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/tna1/jcpenney-holidays-joy-to-everyone#

Jesus Christ, now JCP has assigned themselves as meaning Joy Comfort Peace!  I hate this commercial.  Awful singing.  Nothing about the realities of no mass holiday traveling and gathering this year.  Totally tone deaf.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 9
30 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

A sense of normalcy is what the JC Penney commercial brings.  I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

That's very fair, and it makes sense to you.  For some people, being reminded of what they'll be missing out on this holiday can also make them depressed.  There must be other ways they could have gotten that message across without crossing either line.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, cynicat said:

That's very fair, and it makes sense to you.  For some people, being reminded of what they'll be missing out on this holiday can also make them depressed.  There must be other ways they could have gotten that message across without crossing either line.  

This is what is happening to me.  😕

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:
4 hours ago, cynicat said:

This is what is happening to me.  😕

I completely understand how the door can swing both ways here.  My sister and her hub won't be driving up from SC for Thanksgiving at her son's house (which Mr. Ctlady and I also attend).  But......even before all this, I'm pretty much a homebody (I'm at work almost 9 hours a day 5 days a week so I rather stay home when I have a day off)  So hubs and I are going to get a turkey and all the fixings and celebrate all we are truly thankful for.  I know it's cliche, but it may not be the same, but it's what you make of what you have. 

The JC Penney ad could very well have been trying to give viewers respite from all the commercials featuring actors in masks and shields, zoom meetings, video chats, etc. and wanted to convey a sense of human contact (which we can still have with those we are constantly around and know are safe).  The cure cannot be worse than the cause.  My neighbor is a counselor and her caseload has tripled since April with depression/anxiety cases, not to mention the number of houses I walk by in my neighborhood that have empty beer and liquor bottles in their trash.  And I don't even want to think of those who are now forced to be in the house all day with an abusive spouse.  The commercials that don't push the fear narrative are calming and give me hope

Back to commercials that annoy - the Bowflex bike.  Ala Peloton - what is the deal with these people working out in front of wide, uncovered windows?  Trying to impress the neighbors?  Voyeurism? 

Edited by ctlady
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

I will cut JC Penney some slack, that commercial was most likely made long ago when perhaps many thought what was going on earlier in the year would be resolved by now. 

I don't know if anyone remembers, but Smirnoff had a "stay home -- for America" Fourth of July ad campaign for Red, White, and Berry that they made from stuff they had shot earlier in the year that they reworked, and I believe they had to do some minor reshoots. I recently saw a holiday version. I was curious whether they had had the foresight to do holiday stuff when they did their summer reshoots, or if they did another set. If Smirnoff can figure it out, I don't know why JC Penney couldn't. Like, at least shoot something that could go either way.

I haven't seen the JC Penney commercial everyone has been talking about, but it sounds like if they had left off the scene at the end with the big gathering, it would have still seemed "normal," and I doubt anyone would be complaining about it not depicting big enough gatherings, so I don't know why they included it.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

The JC Penney ad could very well have been trying to give viewers respite from all the commercials featuring actors in masks and shields, zoom meetings, video chats, etc. and wanted to convey a sense of human contact (which we can still have with those we are constantly around and know are safe). 

Which it could easily have done by removing the final scene, which is a big gathering, since all the others seemed to be of individual families celebrating in their own homes/yards and thus would have no reason to be masked or distanced.  It would have looked like a holiday commercial from any other year, yet also been completely appropriate for this year. 

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Which it could easily have done by removing the final scene, which is a big gathering, since all the others seemed to be of individual families celebrating in their own homes/yards and thus would have no reason to be masked or distanced.  It would have looked like a holiday commercial from any other year, yet also been completely appropriate for this year. 

It's still a crappy commercial with the amateur-hour singing (so folksy!) and the Joy Comfort Peace crap.  YMMV.  Oy vey.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I hate the way she says "whut whuuuuut?" and the stupid fist pumping at the end.

Vocal fry bitch.  So, is she pretending to be a Valley Girl or is she a real VG?  What's worse than real Valley Girls?  Put on Valley Girls for real people paid participant commercials!  Ya, I'm from SoCal and do a mean impersonation!

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Vocal fry bitch.  So, is she pretending to be a Valley Girl or is she a real VG?  What's worse than real Valley Girls?  Put on Valley Girls for real people paid participant commercials!  Ya, I'm from SoCal and do a mean impersonation!

She's a real Aldi fan. I guess they're telling us people who like Aldi are all vapid idiots.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Khloe is touting migraine medicine all with her millions in plastic surgery and badly over lined lips to give her a fake enormous trout pout.  Maybe if she didn’t go under the knife so much, she wouldn’t get migraines.  

I'm no fan of hers, but this doesn't make sense. The cause of migraines is not completely known, but there's nothing indicating plastic surgery could cause them. If anything, it's the other way around as Botox is an approved drug for treatment of migraines.

• Love 7
On 11/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, icemiser69 said:

I liked him as Magnum.  After that, not so much.   He sounds constipated in that commercial.  No, I am not saying he is full of shit. 

I'll say it! Tom Selleck is full of shit! I remember when he was the hot guy as Magnum. Now he's just a self-important asshole shilling for a company that takes advantage of and makes money off of worried senior citizens.

PSA: If you have to say that it isn't a scam in your ad, it's a scam.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:57 AM, icemiser69 said:

I can poke fun, I am finding more hair in the drain than on my head, though if I comb my back hair forward no one would notice the bald spot.  I know, TMI.

Aw, honey, they notice. Don't do the combover.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, ctlady said:

Back to commercials that annoy - the Bowflex bike.  Ala Peloton - what is the deal with these people working out in front of wide, uncovered windows?  Trying to impress the neighbors?  Voyeurism? 

If memory serves, there are commercials with exactly that. 

3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I hate the way she says "whut whuuuuut?" and the stupid fist pumping at the end.

At least it's not the "whut whuuut?" In the shingles vaccination commercials. 

• Love 5
On 11/18/2020 at 4:00 PM, ctlady said:

I'm not offended one bit.  In fact - I welcome a bit of 'regular normal'.  I'm sick and tired of seeing masked up people in commercials.  I know...I understand....I'm living it. Can I please have my commercials (and tv shows) without constantly reminding us what a depressing and frustrating time this is?  I'm not going to go and play social distancing/mask police because I don't know anyone's circumstances.  How do we know family members aren't getting tested prior to gathering?  I want to see normal-normal - not this new-normal I'm being controlled by.  I don't need anymore anxiety as it is and find a bit of 'how it's supposed to be' in my commercials welcoming and refreshing

I think ads that show people being responsible by wearing masks and avoiding group gatherings are valuable. This IS our normal for now. 

22 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Jesus Christ, now JCP has assigned themselves as meaning Joy Comfort Peace!  I hate this commercial.  Awful singing.  Nothing about the realities of no mass holiday traveling and gathering this year.  Totally tone deaf.

Agreed.

15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Absolutely.   Bad things happen, I don't see any point in wallowing in it and being engulfed by it 24/7.   That solves nothing.  Wallowing in it can lead to depression and worse things beyond that.  It can cause people to uncontrollably spiral.

I don't need to see anymore  commercials that can scare the shit out of people, all in an effort to sell products.  Those products maybe good, but their selling tactics are horrible when they are used to play on the emotions and fears of their viewers.

Of course that last sentence could also apply to some talk shows as well.

A sense of normalcy is what the JC Penney commercial brings.  I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Showing people behaving responsibly isn't "wallowing in it" in my opinion. It promotes what is normalcy for the next few months to a year. Maybe people won't have the shit scared out of them until they have family members die from Covid-19. But wouldn't it be nice if the commercials they see model the right way to do things right now? Before their family members get sick and/or die?

• Love 16
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I'm no fan of hers, but this doesn't make sense. The cause of migraines is not completely known, but there's nothing indicating plastic surgery could cause them. If anything, it's the other way around as Botox is an approved drug for treatment of migraines.

I know it’s impossible to read intent on these sites, but my comment was made tongue-in-cheek and not meant as reality. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

I'll say it! Tom Selleck is full of shit! I remember when he was the hot guy as Magnum. Now he's just a self-important asshole shilling for a company that takes advantage of and makes money off of worried senior citizens.

PSA: If you have to say that it isn't a scam in your ad, it's a scam.

Aw, honey, they notice. Don't do the combover.

I know quite a few people who have gone the way of doing a reverse mortgage, and it has really worked well for them.  One couple owed 6 figures in medical bills and the reverse mortgage got them out of that debt.  When they moved to their retirement community, they sold their house, paid the reverse mortgage and had money back in their pocket. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I know quite a few people who have gone the way of doing a reverse mortgage, and it has really worked well for them.  One couple owed 6 figures in medical bills and the reverse mortgage got them out of that debt.  When they moved to their retirement community, they sold their house, paid the reverse mortgage and had money back in their pocket. 

I'm glad it worked out for the people you know, and it may be a good product. In the ads with Tom Selleck, to me he seems angry and defensive and frankly, if you have to say that it isn't a scheme to take people's homes, it makes it sound like it's a scheme to take people's homes. Mileage varies! I know that others may not feel the way I do about these ads.

• Love 11
On 11/18/2020 at 10:15 AM, debbie311 said:

It reminds me of when Tom Bosley pitched some kind of yard sale rejects sellers club to shut-ins, invalids and stay-at-home caregivers.I'm STILL mad that he agreed to do that instead of telling this deal that virtually guaranteed that these folks desperate for income would become broker-than-broke in no time flat! 

Yeah, take away seniors' last bit of security for quick cash and have them spend their last days worrying about having to pay faceless institutions just  to stay in their own longtime abodes! BOO to Mr. Selleck and all others who do this! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6

I hate the cheese ones where the parent throws an entire huge pack of shredded cheese, on top of the food the kids refuse to eat, and then they're happily eating what they hated before.   And mac & cheese commercials that show parents bargaining with kids to eat one more bite, and that morphs into giving the kid a giant bowl of powdered cheese, and macaroni.  

Then the Lincoln commercials that are reworked from last year, where the woman comes into the home, and everyone is trashing it, so she goes back to her SUV, and locks herself in, and plays music, and suddenly she's fine. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

I find the new Xfinity commercial with the bike riders to be totally irresponsible.  The bikers are speeding out of control, through traffic, coming close to hitting pedestrians, all so the one guy, without a helmet, comes screeching to a halt in front of his apartment and opened a new gadget.  Where I live, we continue to have disagreements between bicyclists, and car drivers and pedestrians because quite a few of the bikers tend to not follow the rules of the road.  

• Love 11

This may fit better in the “scratch your head” section, and I forget what it’s for, but the lady says something is as easy as putting a fitness tracker on her dog. But for what reason would someone need to do that—and why does it matter how easy it is? Is someone forcing her to achieve a specific step count?

10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This may fit better in the “scratch your head” section, and I forget what it’s for, but the lady says something is as easy as putting a fitness tracker on her dog. But for what reason would someone need to do that—and why does it matter how easy it is? Is someone forcing her to achieve a specific step count?

Yeah, I don't know what the ad is for...great job guys! My take away is she is too lazy to do her own steps so put the tracker on her dog then draped herself over the park bench and bragged to anyone that passed by that she had already got her 40,000 steps in today. Lazy biatch!

• Love 2