Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Tashalynn29 said:

Nothing against the charity but this particular one starts out with yet another acapella  version of Amazing Grace, a song I have now come to despise especially in acapella form , usually sung by someone who makes alley cats throwing up sound like Grammy material. I can't hit the mute button in time usually before they trill the second syllable in "Amazing " which every ass clown who sings that tries to do, much like people who can't sing the Star Spangled Banner attempt. 

Amay        zing grace.  If you have to take a breath in the middle of the word, you have no business singing that song.  And if you pronounce perilous as per-ull-iss you have no business singing that song either.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, blackwing said:

I do.  Which is why I'm puzzled by this commercial.  I don't know if she's supposed to be playing a caricature of herself (one that apparently confuses "tax attorney" and "taxidermy") that purposely sounds bad, or what.  If I'm her agent, why would I put her into a commercial in which she seems dumb for mixing up words, looks bad, and sounds bad?  Does she need the money that badly?

I seriously  hate that  commercial.  I'd  honestly  rather grate my knuckles on a microplane and then apply lemon juice than hear her sing. 

• Love 6

You have to apply for Medicare a certain time before your 65th birthday, or else you pay a penalty for applying late.  Better look into your options now, whether you're working or not.

5 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

July 1955 and yes. sooo much Medicare sales pitching. They can suck it for a while as I'm still a working stiff for another year. 

See my post above.  For some reason the quote didn't take.

• Useful 1

It used to be two months prior to your 65th birthday. And keep in mind, if you don't get Plan D (RX coverage), when you finally do apply for it, they calculate back to when you first got medicare and add a surcharge to your Plan D premium at so much % per month, based on how many months you went without - in perpetuity or until they change the rule.  There is a loophole for low-income, but that's it. There's a penalty for not signing up for Plan D right away.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It used to be two months prior to your 65th birthday. And keep in mind, if you don't get Plan D (RX coverage), when you finally do apply for it, they calculate back to when you first got medicare and add a surcharge to your Plan D premium at so much % per month, based on how many months you went without - in perpetuity or until they change the rule.  There is a loophole for low-income, but that's it. There's a penalty for not signing up for Plan D right away.

It is three months.  As annoying as the commercials are, if you're in this age group, it's really a PSA.  There might even be real PSAs from Medicare on the radio.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2020 at 4:48 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate this commercial mainly because it's the worst version of I will survive I could possible imagine.  

hey I've got an idea, let's take a hugely powerful upbeat empowering song and turn it into a depressing slow moving soft melody that invokes sadness and pity. 

I have never heard of Coogan's, and I spent my first viewing of that commercial trying to figure out if it was a real place or something they made up for the commercial, so I didn't even know what the ad was for.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, janie jones said:

I have never heard of Coogan's, and I spent my first viewing of that commercial trying to figure out if it was a real place or something they made up for the commercial, so I didn't even know what the ad was for.

I still don't know what it is and I'm not too impressed to try to find out.  I wonder what Ms. Gloria Gaynor thinks of this rendition of her iconic hit.  She made a video with her washing her hands while singing "I Will Survive" for the Covid-19 pandemic!

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, tres bien said:

The spokesman. a former burglar, is so offensive to me.

He's not a former burglar - Robbert (yes, 2 bs) is a "full time burglar, part time con man". 😅 Other than his handle bar mustache, which I think is icky, I find it mildly amusing. But then I'm easily entertained.

• Love 4
On 9/8/2020 at 4:48 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate this commercial mainly because it's the worst version of I will survive I could possible imagine.  

hey I've got an idea, let's take a hugely powerful upbeat empowering song and turn it into a depressing slow moving soft melody that invokes sadness and pity. 

I was ready to post my first post in the commercials thread about this one. To me, it's not even that it's slow, but it sounds like someone stepped on a cat's tail and it's meowing in agony. Or several cats at once. I mute it when I can since it airs a lot when I watch through Roku.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Steph Sometimes said:

I was ready to post my first post in the commercials thread about this one. To me, it's not even that it's slow, but it sounds like someone stepped on a cat's tail and it's meowing in agony. Or several cats at once. I mute it when I can since it airs a lot when I watch through Roku.

That is true as well. 

There are so many thing wrong with that version of the song its hard to say where to begin. 

As I said before, for all these reasons, its a disgrace to one of the great rock songs and performances by Gloria Gaynor.  I am baffled as to what whoever made that commercial was thinking in using and making that version of the song. 

• Love 6

This one has me scratching my head. Kentucky Fried Chicken changed to KFC because people were becoming wary of eating fried food. So now the Colonel is touting the fact that he has fried literally everything, except French fries, so now he is frying French fries. So why bother with the name change?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That is true as well. 

There are so many thing wrong with that version of the song its hard to say where to begin. 

As I said before, for all these reasons, its a disgrace to one of the great rock songs and performances by Gloria Gaynor.  I am baffled as to what whoever made that commercial was thinking in using and making that version of the song. 

I hate it when someone re-does an uplifting, hopeful song into something that makes you want to slit your wrists.

• Love 7

I hate the Zillow one with the song that I can't even figure out the words to the song, and what it has to do with buying a home.     

I also dislike the Culligan commercials for reverse osmosis systems.   That is such a wasteful way to purify water, just search it, and unless they've changed how it works, you'll be shocked at how much water is wasted, compared to what you actually use.  

My guess is the advertising companies, and the companies they work for think we're all stupid, and don't realize that KFC is all fried food.    They're wrong, but that's the way they think. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate the Zillow one with the song that I can't even figure out the words to the song, and what it has to do with buying a home.     

"Everybody has a place to be, some like living by the sea, I'm at the bottom of the bay". All while showing different types of properties. Doesn't bother me. Maybe because I've found Zillow incredibly helpful when looking up info on properties.

• Love 1
On 9/9/2020 at 1:58 PM, Red Bridey said:

Why in the Rice Crispie Treats ad does the dad read his note aloud, ending with "Love comma Dad"? A pause is the way you verbalize the comma when reading aloud...but in any case, it's a head scratcher. 

That grates me roo.  Ruins an otherwise cute commercial. 

On 9/10/2020 at 9:59 AM, crowsworks said:

the Downey commercial where the woman sings "Howsh Howsh Baby"  I can't stand people deliberatly mis-pronouncing words - like New-cue-lahr. 

That's when Yale or harvard educated Pols try to sound folksy.

I mentioned this one prior too.  The horrible warbling.....

• Love 3
On 9/12/2020 at 7:43 PM, Steph Sometimes said:

It sounds like the version they'd use for a movie about ghosts.

• Love 2
On 9/8/2020 at 4:31 PM, peacheslatour said:

They have people pouring milk over their heads, filling up wading pool with milk and sitting in it, making fountains and all sorts of wasteful crap and then they want us to send them our own little videos of ourselves wasting milk in the most disgusting ways possible. I hate to be a downer but damn, there are children starving to death in this world.

I'm hoping they using milky-tinted water rather than the real thing.  That would be an absolute senseless waste

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ctlady said:

I'm hoping they using milky-tinted water rather than the real thing.  That would be an absolute senseless waste

I agree, but on the other hand, right now, farmers are just dumping the milk directly after milking anyway.

27 minutes ago, dleighg said:

There's Shingles Vaccine

"WHHAAAAAAAAAAAT?" in a totally I-am-an-actor-who-gets-very-few-gigs voice

Then she tells her husband "there's a shingles vaccine"

"WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" and he's just as bad

I wonder how many times the actors didn't say it stupidly enough & the director kept coaching them how to utter that nonsense.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

I haven't surveyed every woman in the western world, but I'm pretty sure 99% of us are aware that tampons come in multiple absorbency. The surprise! of the women in the washroom that they can change which tampon they use! is so insulting.

I mean - how long have they shopped for tampons in their lifetime?  And.....they've never wondered what the boxes marked R(egular), S(uper) P(Superplus I think) or the variety box?

24 minutes ago, dleighg said:

There's Shingles Vaccine

"WHHAAAAAAAAAAAT?" in a totally I-am-an-actor-who-gets-very-few-gigs voice

Then she tells her husband "there's a shingles vaccine"

"WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" and he's just as bad

I just heard this one a few days ago.  Nails on a chalkboard!  I'm 58 and have never had the chickenpox as a kid, but my luck the vaccine would have a reverse effect on me and bring on the shingles.  NO thanks - I'll take my chances.

Okay, so....the Bounty commercial where something gets spilled which is followed by the slo-mo "noooooooooooo".  The one where the little boy is trying to pick up a wanton with chopsticks, drops it, it tips off the bowl which, until my most recent viewing, showed that it was empty save for some liquid.  They gave the kid only 1 wanton in that bowl?  Although I generally like this commercial because of the twist with the bulldog thinking "yessssssss" when the wanton slides off the table and into it's mouth, what irks me is that after the kid clearly couldn't master the sticks and dropped his food, not only did the parents continue to let him use the sticks but another wanton magically showed up in his bowl to eat!  I know, practice makes perfect, but that kid could go hungry while the dog won't!

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I just heard this one a few days ago.  Nails on a chalkboard!  I'm 58 and have never had the chickenpox as a kid, but my luck the vaccine would have a reverse effect on me and bring on the shingles.  NO thanks - I'll take my chances.

If you’ve never had the chickenpox, you won’t get shingles, it’s impossible. My dad is 73 and also never had chickenpox, he’s always having the shingles vaccine offered to him until he tells them so.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

If you’ve never had the chickenpox, you won’t get shingles, it’s impossible. My dad is 73 and also never had chickenpox, he’s always having the shingles vaccine offered to him until he tells them so.

Has he gotten the chickenpox vaccine?  He's not likely to get it at this point, but he still could.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Has he gotten the chickenpox vaccine?  He's not likely to get it at this point, but he still could.

I got it from my kid when I was thirty eight and was told not to expose any other adults. I had to miss my dad's 60th birthday party.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got chicken pox at 22-23 from my kids. It was miserable but I am still hesitant at 71 to get the vaccine. Also I haven't gotten a flu vaccine since 1994, never have had the flu in all that time, yet my dr is pushing it. I am taking far more serious defensive tactics than before Covid and I just don't feel comfortable getting one. My choice and I will live, maybe die from it.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 4

I was scared into getting a shingles vax by reading about what shingles can do to you. It can get into your eyes and make you go blind, among other very unpleasant things. So I got them (you need 2) about a year ago when the supply finally became available. 

The Shingrix ad is insultingly stupid. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I got chicken pox at 22-23 from my kids. It was miserable but I am still hesitant at 71 to get the vaccine. Also I haven't gotten a flu vaccine since 1994, never have had the flu in all that time, yet my dr is pushing it. I am taking far more serious defensive tactics than before Covid and I just don't feel comfortable getting one. My choice and I will live, maybe die from it.

My mother had the shingles.  Trust me, you don't want to get it.

• Love 11

I know this is a little regional, but here in NJ, there's a commercial for a store called Wayne Tile. It starts with one lady, dressed like she just came from the office, at a tile store, looking around confusedly, then texting apparently a group of FIVE OTHER WOMEN asking where they are. Hahahah, as it turns out, these women went to the other five Wayne Tile locations! 

THis makes me mad because what the fuck are five women (or five PEOPLE) ever going to do together a tile store? Like what the fuck are they going there to accomplish? It sure isn't pick out tile. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2