Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Possibly...But Someone will be onboard who turns water into wine....

But but my evangelical sister in law tells me that Jesus  REALLY  was only drinking grape juice. And that wedding in Cana was really only serving grape juice so he didn't do much except it was a miracle. So evidently the bible is wrong, except it's the TRUTH.

Color me confused by those people.

• LOL 14
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I actually like Jinger's suit with the red shoes, but I think it's because I need a new suit for work so it caught my eye. It's a little too formal and staid for someone her age, but I'm impressed she wore pants to this thing (unless this conference doesn't care about women in pants?).

I'm pretty sure that most of the high-end evangelical churches are now okay with women in pants. They probably don't want close-fitting and/or ripped jeans. But relatively conservative pantsuits and such have moved pretty permanently into that crowd, I believe. 

Just as long as the woman doesn't think that wearing the pants means she's in charge of anything, it's okay. And they've brought on board some female speakers to explain why that attitude's the only one that God approves of, so it's all good. 

22 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

But but my evangelical sister in law tells me that Jesus  REALLY  was only drinking grape juice. And that wedding in Cana was really only serving grape juice so he didn't do much except it was a miracle. So evidently the bible is wrong, except it's the TRUTH.

The confused can be quite confusing, I guess! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Who is the G3 audience? Apparently it's not going to be folks with modest incomes in 2021.

Well, it's Calvinist. And (as I frequently harp on!) a lot of people (not all, of course) in the American Calvinist tradition, including the evangelical part of it, see themselves as a kind of American aristocracy because they follow the religious path of the Puritans. The original band. The real founding fathers. The Plymouth Rockers. 

Many see themselves as direct heirs of Jonathan Edwards (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God!), the Mather boys, John Winthrop (Mr. City on the Hill), John Harvard, etc. So a lot of Calvinist churches have long attracted and still attract people who consider themselves top of the heap......That's the reason that in a lot of American towns throughout the 20th century, the local First Presbyterian church was an old, very fancy one downtown full of industrialist bigwigs and the heirs of same. 

G3 has MacArthur-related people (who we know are like this) and also some Doug Phillips-related people (who also went for this whole "American aristocracy" thing with Vision Forum -- before his secret bag of evil sleaze exploded all over it...). They also see themselves, of course, as the intellectuals of evangelicalism.

They're into being aristocrats and into being aggressively Calvinist....with some tasteful grifting thrown in. So I'm sure they've worked to attract whatever evangelicals they can find to whom they can sell their brand of Calvin-derived thinking. And who are as high up in our social and financial piles as possible. 

Not clear how successful they've been at attracting these folks. Not even clear how many of their target audience exist. But I'm sure that's what they're aiming at. 

They're trying to assemble a country club bonded by a love of predestination, expensive suits, and a determination to keep women in their place.

You can see why this is the segment of evangelicalism and Calvinism that Jeremy strives to cozy up to. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 11
  • Love 7

I'm sure that they will be chartering the entire ship for the G3 2021.  That ship carries 3,114 passengers, so if the attendance was over 5000 in 2020, I'm sure they'll get enough to nearly fill the ship.  I was once on a Christian music cruise with a friend several years ago and while they did have alcohol, the crew were told NOT to sell it.  (I tried to buy a beer and was refused)  When a company charters a ship, they can dictate a lot of things.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

Pfff.  Amateurs. 

No explanation of Cana is complete without an extra assertion that God "let" the water be turned into alcoholic wine just because the audience expected it; and that sometimes in the commission of Biblical miracles it's OK to "use evil for good".  

Or that half the wineskins were set aside for the "kiddy tables" and did contain unfermented wine.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'm sure that they will be chartering the entire ship for the G3 2021.  That ship carries 3,114 passengers, so if the attendance was over 5000 in 2020, I'm sure they'll get enough to nearly fill the ship.  I was once on a Christian music cruise with a friend several years ago and while they did have alcohol, the crew were told NOT to sell it.  (I tried to buy a beer and was refused)  When a company charters a ship, they can dictate a lot of things.

Yeah, I hope they charter the entire ship for their alcohol-free adventure. Can you imagine the buzz-kill for other travellers if they can’t buy a drink or have to endure large prayer sessions in the dining room?

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

What is the cost of attending this conference?  What is the cost of the cruise?

I'd guess the difference is considerable, which may diminish the number of attendees.  I would guess this cruise is not a substitute for the conference but something new and different.

Though,  I have been very wrong before.  

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

What is the cost of attending this conference?  What is the cost of the cruise?

I'd guess the difference is considerable, which may diminish the number of attendees.  I would guess this cruise is not a substitute for the conference but something new and different.

Though,  I have been very wrong before.  

Hard to tell. It is scheduled for January, though, which is the same month in which the conference seems always to have been held....

Maybe some regular attendees have suggested they're getting bored with hanging out in that Atlanta hotel year after year? 

• Love 6

It appears to be a 5 night cruise which depending on the cabin selected could work out to actually be less than hotel + food in Atlanta for several days.  Of course the attendees need to get to Miami.  I suppose some people won't go because it's a cruise yet many others will go because it's a cruise.  They're just trying to mix things up.

I can't wait to see if we get a glimpse of Jin in her modesty swimwear on the pool deck!?! Jermy will be in a speedo for sure.

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, LilJen said:

Put a straw boater hat on him and he'll be ready to sing in a barbershop quartet.

And we all know there’s nothing hipster cooler than that!

6 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Jermy will be in a speedo for sure.

Annnd now I can’t eat my toast. 🤮

• LOL 13

Well the cost of the cruise might be less as they don't have to staff the numerous bars on the ship, so less crew= less $. And if they book the entire ship they probably get a lower cost.

It sounds like the 6th circle of hell. The 7th circle is being stuck with my religious family for a day.

• LOL 10
  • Love 6

The actual tickets to attend the conference have been pretty cheap. -- Here's the price list for this year. Highest-dollar ticket seems to be $239. Plus an extra $89 if you want to go to the expository-preaching sessions. And an early-bird ticket was just $119.  Very cheap for a three-day conference. ... But they pulled quite a crowd. 

Don't know how many went to breakout star Jer's breakout session. Probably not that many....They hold those right after lunch....But...plenty of schmoozing possibilities. And that's one of his top talents. 

He likes schmoozing with Allie Beth Stuckey, who's a Fox News commentator and thus may be one of the more widely known people at the conference...Like Jer and Jingle, she's on TeeVee regularly...

The photos she chooses of herself are quite different from the way she looks in candid shots, too -- 

image.png.9ff861cf9d8b929dd63af79543cf008f.png

G3 CONFERENCE 2020

DetailsPriceQty

"Pay It Forward" Scholarship$10.00 (USD)  Sold Out

"Pay It Forward" Scholarship (Gold)$50.00 (USD)  Sold Out

Early Bird Registration$119.00 (USD)  Sold Out

General Registration$239.00 (USD)  Sold Out

Free Children (under 17) *Limited$0.00 (USD)  Sold Out

G3 Expository Workshop (January)$89.00 (USD)  Sold Out

Student Registration$199.00 (USD)  Sold Out

Group Registration$209.00 (USD)  Sold Out

Missionary$189.00 (USD)  Sold Out

Skip the Line (Receive G3 Badge by Mail) - *US Only$12.00 (USD)  / bundle Sold Out

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 5

I really wonder how Jin (or any Duggar really) handles themselves at these sorts of conferences. These conferences tend to have faux-intellectual academia tone. For people who have never had any sort of schooling about anything I can imagine it being a lot of "blah blah blah ..."

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I really wonder how Jin (or any Duggar really) handles themselves at these sorts of conferences. These conferences tend to have faux-intellectual academia tone. For people who have never had any sort of schooling about anything I can imagine it being a lot of "blah blah blah ..."

She's a woman. She's not expected to "know things" or "have opinions." She's expected to be attractive and submissive, and express admiration for the men around her. I imagine she does just fine.

• Love 2

I think they both look great.  I don't see any extra weight on Jeremy that others seem to see.  His pants are well fitted without being the ridiculous skinny, too-short pants so many guys wear.  And I like the non-matching jacket, as an actual matched suit is a bit more stuffy. 

Jinger wears that suit well.  And she looks damn happy. 

I love cruises, so If I had to listen to fundie blabber, I'd definitely want to do it onboard.  And I think Royal Caribbean has the best food.  I actually bought their cookbook to recreate some of their amazing dishes.    

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2

Bold of them to assume Jeremy will actually still be a “celebrity” and desired commodity in 2021. The second the show goes he goes, I would imagine.

Have the Duggars ever taken a cruise?  Should be a nice experience for Jingle.

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Bold of them to assume Jeremy will actually still be a “celebrity” and desired commodity in 2021. The second the show goes he goes, I would imagine.

Have the Duggars ever taken a cruise?  Should be a nice experience for Jingle.

Too bad she won’t get to eat much of the cruise food.

I fee sorry for all the poor suckers that have to sit and listen to Jeremy drone on.

• Love 12

Royal Caribbean is selling cabins to the public for that cruise.  It's going to Nassau and Labadee (which is Royal Caribbean's private compound on the north shore of Haiti).  Interior cabins start at $385/person, Outside view $478/person, Balcony $554/person, and Suite $1028/person.  And no mention on the website that this conference will also be there.  I would be so freaking pissed if I went on that cruise without knowing this.  It's probably worse than the LuLaRoe one.

• Useful 8
  • Love 12

FYI there’s a post on Reddit by waitstaff that had to wait on Jeremy and Jingle a few months ago. Apparently Felicity isn’t the only prop, Jingle seems like a prop wife, and they seem disconnected from each other. Nothing really shocking or surprising, other than a tip to 25%. 

• Useful 16
4 minutes ago, Fallacy said:

To me, complmentarianism is inherently misogynistic. I definitely would have pitched a fit on the cruise you described. I don’t know why women like Jinger go along with this stuff. 

She knows nothing else. 

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, Fallacy said:

To me, complmentarianism is inherently misogynistic. I definitely would have pitched a fit on the cruise you described. I don’t know why women like Jinger go along with this stuff. 

I'm not Jocelyncavanaugh, but she didn't describe a cruise she went on, but regular conferences.  You may want to read her post again.  

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Fallacy said:

As Leighdear noted, I never went on a cruise like this. Not nitpicking, just want to be clear that I wasn’t claiming to have done that particular event. 

This isn’t the thread for getting into theology, so I’ll just say that complememtariansim is a matter of perspective. People who live by it don’t see it as “unequal,” and women at these conferences generally did not present themselves as inferior or out of place. I’m sure some men thought that, since there are pigs in every facet of society (see above re: academia. I have stories...), but it wasn’t stated or implied in any official capacity. There is nothing curious to me about a woman like Jinger finding fellowship and interest in events like these. I guess you “just have to be there,” as the saying goes. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I read the thread on reddit. The waitress also said Jeremy ordered for both of them and Felicitywas very fussy. Jinger was on her phone the whole time while RFP droned on. 

I also noticed the waitress said they didn't order anything for Felicity off the kids' menu and she kept grabbing for stuff on Jinger's plate, but she wasn't allowed to have any of it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Fallacy said:

I agree with this.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

Ok, I'm just going to say it.

*DEEP BREATH*

Good for Jeremy. Because y'all KNOW that generosity isn't coming from a Duggar. 

Yes I second this. In fact i wonder if TTH ever tips for the swaths of pizza they order.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

FYI there’s a post on Reddit by waitstaff that had to wait on Jeremy and Jingle a few months ago. Apparently Felicity isn’t the only prop, Jingle seems like a prop wife, and they seem disconnected from each other. Nothing really shocking or surprising, other than a tip to 25%. 

The tip is the only thing that surprises me. I would have guessed a crappy tip if even that from Jeremy. Good for him. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Fallacy said:

Thanks, I was about to write the same thing!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I also noticed the waitress said they didn't order anything for Felicity off the kids' menu and she kept grabbing for stuff on Jinger's plate, but she wasn't allowed to have any of it. 

I wonder if Jinger was allowed to eat all of it.

• Love 4
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

I wonder if Jinger was allowed to eat all of it.

Waitress claimed Jeremy was eating off Jinger's plate. It's an unconfirmed Reddit poster, so I do take with a grain of salt, but on the other hand, nothing she said really shocked me. Except for the 25% tip. I can't stand Jeremy, but if he's a good tipper, I will give him credit for that. 

• Love 12