Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I guess I’m too accustomed to southern prices.  There are plenty of expensive homes here, but most aren’t that high.  I did see a home for about 3.5 million earlier in my city, but it was 9 bedrooms and 13,000 sq. ft. 300K can buy you a nice home here, and 200K can build you brand new home in the suburbs.  Throw in $75,000 in homestead exemptions and it’s even better.  

I don’t know how or really care how they’re paying for this new lifestyle. I just hope they don’t get so caught up in all the middle class trappings that they cause harm in their relationship.  Knowing RFP he probably thinks he’s immune.

• Love 6

I don't know about the Vuolo family but my opinion is that Jeremy and Jinger are living pay check to paycheck with credit cards.  Plus any TLC money. 

Another thought:  Maybe Jeremy and Jinger have negotiated a little spin off series? Maybe a 3 episode special? "Jinger Does LA" type of thing?   

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Someone somewhere in one of their clans has a great big nest egg and it's helping sustain them all. 

I’ve known many, many, families like the Vuolo who can’t spare a dime and put it all into the outward appeance if easy wealth, when they’re really struggling.  They’re the same type of people that have made fun of my older, but well maintained car, or my skipping of elaborate lunches. Meanwhile I’m totally debt free, own my home, and will be able to retire, while they’re silently sweating in their designer outfits.  The one thing we can all agree on is that Jeremy is a poser who doesn’t have it where it counts. Why should the rest of his family be any different? 

• Love 22
16 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I’ve known many, many, families like the Vuolo who can’t spare a dime and put it all into the outward appeance if easy wealth, when they’re really struggling.  They’re the same type of people that have made fun of my older, but well maintained car, or my skipping of elaborate lunches. Meanwhile I’m totally debt free, own my home, and will be able to retire, while they’re silently sweating in their designer outfits.  The one thing we can all agree on is that Jeremy is a poser who doesn’t have it where it counts. Why should the rest of his family be any different? 

Yeah, I know people like that, too! 

I know both kinds, though. 

And in the families who, as my elderly relatives would say, "don't have two nickels to rub against one another" but refuse to act like it, usually I've known at least one person who's spooked about it and works three jobs, squeezes the nickels till they yell, kills herself to get a masters degree in something that earns significant cash and looks for a partner with money, too!

What I find striking about the Vuolos is that it seems that they have no such person (although of course they may. I don't know much about the other two kids -- except that they seem to have jobs that seldom pay much to anyone....)

Plus, except for Jer,, I don't get the impression that they're all that interested in putting on appearances. I don't see a bunch of shallow people when I look at them.

What I'm seeing -- except for Jer -- is four people who for some reason dont' seem to be afraid to pursue careers that are essentially passion projects. His brother makes thoughtful indie movies, his sister pursues music, his mother starts a musical charity, and his father pursues theology and pastoring of people who are not well off. I'm not saying they're mega-wealthy. But when many people in a family feel that free to pursue things like that, in my experience there is often some money backing them up -- and if there isn't you tend to see the struggle.....people going back and forth between their passions and backup jobs....and a really super-modest lifestyle and so on. 

But you're certainly right that there are plenty of people out there who are acting like they're better off than they are. As I mentioned above, I do think that that's pretty much true of Jer personally at this point, even though he may (on my theory) have some family money to help him out.'

And even if there is some family money, who knows how long it would last, of course. When money has to be spread among a growing number of people .....  things change. As we often say about the Duggars' stash. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
22 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I don't know about the Vuolo family but my opinion is that Jeremy and Jinger are living pay check to paycheck with credit cards.  Plus any TLC money. 

Another thought:  Maybe Jeremy and Jinger have negotiated a little spin off series? Maybe a 3 episode special? "Jinger Does LA" type of thing?   

I agree. Jeremy upgraded his lifestyle significantly after he scored Jinger. His Laredo apartment was shabby, and it's not like that's an area where you have to sell your firstborn child to get into a decent place. I also remember him getting Jinger crappy floral arrangements that looked like they were 90% dandelion, so he definitely wasn't balling pre-TLC. 

I don't know how much they're grifting and how much they're spending, but they clearly don't deny themselves anything. That could spell trouble once the gravy train ends.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

I agree. Jeremy upgraded his lifestyle significantly after he scored Jinger. His Laredo apartment was shabby, and it's not like that's an area where you have to sell your firstborn child to get into a decent place. I also remember him getting Jinger crappy floral arrangements that looked like they were 90% dandelion, so he definitely wasn't balling pre-TLC. 

I don't know how much they're grifting and how much they're spending, but they clearly don't deny themselves anything. That could spell trouble once the gravy train ends.

The change in life style did change after he married Jinger. He wore freaking sneakers when he proposed.

• LOL 6
  • Love 11

I could see RFP being the type to just ASSUME things will fall his way and is spending the money now because he’ll be a big money TV preacher soon.

Although being a failed semi-pro athlete should have taught him something. Plenty of ex-NFL players go broke after their playing careers suddenly end and it’s not like he ever earned a fraction of that kind of money.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The change in life style did change after he married Jinger. He wore freaking sneakers when he proposed.

Yeah....but were they cheap sneakers? Maybe he was  already a devotee of that "pastors with sneakers" website? 😀

What I find odd about the sneakers is that he seemed to dress like a youngish jock originally and then all of a sudden he started dressing like a trendy 75-year-old man!  (although now that I think about it, that may just be MacArthur rubbing off on him some more....) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

Pre-marriage photo

duggar-36120.PNG

2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah....but were they cheap sneakers? Maybe he was  already a devotee of that "pastors with sneakers" website? 😀

What I find odd about the sneakers is that he seemed to dress like a youngish jock originally and then all of a sudden he started dressing like a trendy 75-year-old man! 

Maybe Jeremy subscribes to; dress for the job you want?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Pre-marriage photo

duggar-36120.PNG

Maybe Jeremy subscribes to; dress for the job you want?

I'm sure he does! 

The one real talent he seems to me to demonstrate -- repeatedly -- is getting himself into the situations he wants to get into ..... 

I don't know if he's very good at remaining and succeeding in those situations. But when he wants something from someone, at least initially he seems to get it. ... And they always tell you to look the part! 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Puffin said:

Uh this guy couldn’t have put on one pair of nice shoes for HIS engagement, that HE planned! 🙄

Wasn't there something that went on with the weather and they had to refilm the proposal or postpone it or something?  That might explain the shoes.  Either that or TLC was playing up the "sports star" angle at that time and encouraged him to wear them.

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

And even if there is some family money, who knows how long it would last, of course. When money has to be spread among a growing number of people .....  things change. As we often say about the Duggars' stash. 

I respect your well thought out opinion. It will be interesting to see just who is right about just what happens to the family.  I will maintain that the Lord of flies scenario is virtually inevitable for all of these families. Whoever wises up and gets a real adult job first will be the true winner.

47 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Perhaps I should give Pastor Volo $40 to preach a sermon about saving the seven years of good times for the seven years of hard times? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

The one thing we can all agree on is that Jeremy is a poser who doesn’t have it where it counts. 

That's actually not correct.  

Some of us can appreciate certain aspects of this young family and their "adventures" without condoning or following their beliefs.  

Especially the last few days, seeing a cute baby & a happy couple on social media is a nice break from the unrelenting sorrow.  YMMV. 

• Love 19
46 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Some of us can appreciate certain aspects of this young family and their "adventures" without condoning or following their beliefs.  

Especially the last few days, seeing a cute baby & a happy couple on social media is a nice break from the unrelenting sorrow.  YMMV. 

Everyone in this family is a smiler - and you’re seeing curated parenting and romance.  What has Jeremy ever done he has been truly good at, or able to stick with, or able to parlay into a decent paycheck, other than exploiting his wife?  I mean yeah he’s not miserable like Derreck, but that doesn’t make him an awesome father or husband.  I’d be much more impressed with him once Felicity starts grade school, And gets the same opportunity as a boy has in their world. 

On another note I forgot about the New York City rooftop proposal. Not bad for a girl that grew up next to the dump in Arkansas. 

Edit: has this NSFW Pic of shirtless Jer been posted yet?

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

I can't.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Everyone in this family is a smiler - and you’re seeing curated parenting and romance.  What has Jeremy ever done he has been truly good at, or able to stick with, or able to parlay into a decent paycheck, other than exploiting his wife?  I mean yeah he’s not miserable like Derreck, but that doesn’t make him an awesome father or husband.  I’d be much more impressed with him once Felicity starts grade school, And gets the same opportunity as a boy has in their world. 

On another note I forgot about the New York City rooftop proposal. Not bad for a girl that grew up next to the dump in Arkansas. 

Here's Google Translate's terrible but somewhat comprehensible rendition (well, except for the headline...What?) from the Finnish. 

CREDIBLE FIGHTERS

This time the man has his upper body bare. AC Oulu goalkeeper Jeremy Vuolo enjoys the warmth of Nallikari. In matches, to the disappointment of female viewers, Vuolo has two shirts to protect his body. Underneath the jersey, the American has a short shirt with the text that is relevant to Vuolo. I Belong to Jesus, I belong to Jesus.

For example, Brazilian superstar Kaká has tore a matching shirt after a match or an important goal. Vuolo, however, did not manage to score for the goal.

In his university team, he managed to hold zero against the elite team in the country, and then the jersey was picked up immediately after the referee's final whistle. "I hope I have the opportunity to do the same here," says Vuolo, who has become a credit watchdog on the Oulu team.

The attitude of Finns towards their faith has always been cooler than in many other countries. So it's no wonder that very few athletes proclaim their beliefs as naturally as Vuolo. Read more about Sunday's Kaleva!

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Puffin said:

Uh this guy couldn’t have put on one pair of nice shoes for HIS engagement, that HE planned! 🙄

Contrarian here, I think he looks fine.

2 hours ago, leighdear said:

Quote from Tasya that I accidentally wiped out: "What I find super interesting is that everyone wanted Jinger to "escape" Duggarland. She's obviously done that, but it's still not good enough because she didn't do it the way that others wanted her to."

I find Jeremy's views odious - extremely odious.  I don't understand how he can hold such views; it is inexplicable to me.  The difference I see between Jeremy and Derrick is something that would take more than I care to write (or likely more than anyone would care to read), to fully explain.  There is a point where I just go with my instincts about people;  I think their positions on the issues come from a different place.  I believe that Derrick is toxic and filled with hate and anger.  I don't see that in Jeremy, instead I see a need for attention and desire for nice things and ego boosters.

I don't know anything about J & J's finances or what their futures hold.  I can only comment on now and what I see is Jinger having a very nice life that may very well be what she dreamed of.  She seems to be making the most of it.  I wish her well.

I was going to lay off posting here for a while...oh, well.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

It's new to me! (The only one I've seen is of a shirtless Jer with ... Mardi Gras beads?, though I can't seem to find that one now.) But Reddit would like a word with you if that's NSFW. 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I suspect that someone is subsidizing the rent for the Vuolos.  It could be TLC or Jeremy's family or the owner is a parishioner at MacArthur's church.   The house seems big for a family of 3.

Right - how many young couples with one in school and the other not working have/need a 4-bedroom house?

• Love 11

Jeremy did an Instagram about the shootings. Of course he brought it all back to biblical stuff, but he said we should entertain the conversation about guns. More than the GOP can say. 

The house looks lovely. I’m assuming he’s getting a generous housing allowance for being in the program. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And that unforgettable drab olive and brown ensemble she wore for the engagement!  

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

$675,000 for 1800 sq.ft?  That’s why it’s the dirty, dirty south for me!  That amount will get you at least 3,500-4,000 sq. ft. here.  Granted, it’s hot as the devil’s balls and we get hurricanes, but your money goes a heck of a lot further.  

I lived close to where they live years ago and it’s HOT from April to October. Low humidity, but uncomfortable nevertheless. We had a big earthquake while I was there, too. Homes are quite a bit less expensive in the “valley” than on the “other side” of the foothills, near the ocean, where the climate is much more moderate.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Right - how many young couples with one in school and the other not working have/need a 4-bedroom house?

At least one - Jill & Derek 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

The house looks lovely. I’m assuming he’s getting a generous housing allowance for being in the program. 

Help me to understand what a housing allowance is for a student who, I thought, was paying to go to school, rather than being paid. Is it like a grant to help cover expenses? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Tasya said:

Those sneakers are Nike Air Max's and I believe the version he has on would have been about $200+ back when he proposed to Jinger. 

Yes, they probably are $200 dollar sneakers, but Jeremy's taste and style have dramatically changed since marrying Jinger.

I don't even have a problem with Jeremy wearing sneakers to propose. My husband and I discussed marriage over a period of time and I'm guessing we were probably in pajamas during some of those discussions.

A jock owning $200 dollar sneakers is a little different to me than a seemingly unemployed preacher owning multiple pairs of expensive dress shoes. Also a commenter on one of his Dapper Dan pics said he may want to dress a little more casual now that he's moved. Jeremy actually responded and politely said something to the effect of, nope I'm not going casual.

I'm curious how a couple with no obvious employment, other than TLC, can afford the lifestyle they display. 

• Love 21
8 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

? ... He's not a veteran, or a serving pastor at present or a member of the military or the reserves.... Do other people get housing allowances when they're in school? I've never heard of that outside the categories I just mentioned. Who pays for it? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14

Is it possible, as in other professions, that Jeremy has signed on with a church that is funding him along with an employment agreement?

I attended school for free, minus books, having signed an agreement to work at that particular job for 2 years, post school. They didn’t pay for housing, though.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
43 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Is it possible, as in other professions, that Jeremy has signed on with a church that is funding him along with an employment agreement?

I attended school for free, minus books, having signed an agreement to work at that particular job for 2 years, post school. They didn’t pay for housing, though.

I suppose anything's possible. But usually a person is sponsored/supported to get education or training, due to some kind of supply/demand dynamic. The student's acquiring the specific set of skills/knowledge is worth the investment to the sponsor - and usually that means there aren't plenty of other people with those skills/qualifications already available to be hired.

I don't know the current status but remember that nurses were in high demand - and short supply - a few years ago. OTOH, our law schools are churning out way more people with JD degrees than there are lawyer jobs for.

I'be surprised if there's a such a shortage of men who've graduated from seminary after studying expository preaching and aren't already employed as such, that someone would need to invest in the seminary education of Jeremy, who is anything but a gifted and riveting preacher.

So if someone's underwriting him, it can't be on the basis of a decision that it's a good bottom line investment. But some rich person with the same religious beliefs, may think he's doing the Lord's work by supporting Jeremy and his family. Crazier things happen every day. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

It's possible. But something tells me we would have heard about that! ....Because,  wow, that'd be a big compliment, seems to me. I'd think Jer would want that known by others. 

Plus, I do think it's kind of unlikely when it comes to churches. Very few churches have a lot of money to tie up in the education of somebody they haven't even worked with yet -- or the luxury to hire somebody and then wait two years for them to come on board. .... Pastors tend to get hired when the need is pressing, as far as I've seen.

And would a church where Jer has never even worked really be so impressed with his pastoral abilities that they'd hire him before he even has his seminary education? Sinking money into him because you trust that, two years from now, he'll still be a better bet than some other young pastor who's come along in the meantime? On what evidence would anybody base such a judgment? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

Help me to understand what a housing allowance is for a student who, I thought, was paying to go to school, rather than being paid. Is it like a grant to help cover expenses? 

I would think a school that, if I remember correctly, had to lay off staff because they lost accreditation would not have it in their budget to pay for housing allowance.  My guess is financial aid, a generous donor, TLC $, credit cards, or all of the above are paying for it.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Yes, they probably are $200 dollar sneakers, but Jeremy's taste and style have dramatically changed since marrying Jinger.

I don't even have a problem with Jeremy wearing sneakers to propose. My husband and I discussed marriage over a period of time and I'm guessing we were probably in pajamas during some of those discussions.

A jock owning $200 dollar sneakers is a little different to me than a seemingly unemployed preacher owning multiple pairs of expensive dress shoes. Also a commenter on one of his Dapper Dan pics said he may want to dress a little more casual now that he's moved. Jeremy actually responded and politely said something to the effect of, nope I'm not going casual.

I'm curious how a couple with no obvious employment, other than TLC, can afford the lifestyle they display. 

Maybe she is encouraging him? 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I would think a school that, if I remember correctly, had to lay off staff because they lost accreditation would not have it in their budget to pay for housing allowance.  My guess is financial aid, a generous donor, TLC $, credit cards, or all of the above are paying for it.

I'd add -- and some help from Mom and Dad Vuolo. (because I don't see why it's impossible for them to have a small-to-medium stash of well-invested family money somewhere that they devote to helping their kids out when they need it! 😀)

I do have some doubts about whether financial aid will pay for any of their living expenses. I'm sure Jer's getting the full-ride financial-aid package that a big donor provides to 10 percent of the seminary's students (according to the website). But there's no mention at all of additional financial aid being provided beyond that one full-tuition scholarship. 

So my bet would be that that's all the financial aid he gets (officially). But the generous donor may be somebody (or even the guy who gives out those scholarships) that MacArthur's recruited specifically to help Jer out. (In return for his ability to get them some positive media and social media images and a much wider social-media reach than they're getting on their own.)

That makes four sources for living-expenses cash even if there is no financial aid, as such, for it. And if each provides an average of $1000 bucks a month, then that's the rent. 

That's certainly doable, although it could leave you with a major credit-card bill if any of the other three aren't meeting the $1000-a-month standard. (although TLC will certainly give them well over that in the course of a year, wouldn't it? Even minus the taxes?)

Even if they are running up that much cc debt, though, I'm sure they tell themselves that it's only for two years and that at the end of that period he'll already have a great job in hand that'll quickly bail them out of it. And it's possible they'll be absolutely right about that.....Or not.....

They won't have any education debt, as such, so in some ways they'd still be ahead of the game -- or at least no further behind than the rest of the grads, probably. 90 percent of the seminarians there don't get any financial aid and have to do it all on their own dime plus government loans (again, according to the website). 

Looking at this financial-aid thing makes me sure MacArthur HAS to play ball with the accreditors, though. With 90 percent of the students on their own to pay for the school (according to the website), seems to me they'd be utterly screwed without access to government loans. Make me wonder what he's doing to change his ways since the still-scathing Western Association of Schools and Colleges interim report from earlier this year. Or whether WASC will just cave after some kind of conservative-Christian outcry. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Just saw some other pics of Jinger's hair on Radar.  I am going to sound like a huge BEC, but this comes from someone who knows how to highlight hair.  Her colorist was not very good.  When you see her head with her hair down you can see it wasn't a great job.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

It's possible. But something tells me we would have heard about that! ....Because,  wow, that'd be a big compliment, seems to me. I'd think Jer would want that known by others. 

Plus, I do think it's kind of unlikely when it comes to churches. Very few churches have a lot of money to tie up in the education of somebody they haven't even worked with yet -- or the luxury to hire somebody and then wait two years for them to come on board. .... Pastors tend to get hired when the need is pressing, as far as I've seen.

And would a church where Jer has never even worked really be so impressed with his pastoral abilities that they'd hire him before he even has his seminary education? Sinking money into him because you trust that, two years from now, he'll still be a better bet than some other young pastor who's come along in the meantime? On what evidence would anybody base such a judgment? 

I agree. I think they're paying the rent with TLC and vuolo family money. To me, there's just no other explanation for the vuolos except for having a nest egg somewhere. Viewed through that lense, their entire lifestyle makes sense. Taken at face value, nothing in their lifestyle makes sense. 

I mean...if there's a seminary that will pay you twice what a beginning teacher makes *in their whole salary* JUST for housing...damn, I need to get out of dodge and head out there! Oh crap, I can't, since I'm a woman. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Christina87 said:

I mean...if there's a seminary that will pay you twice what a beginning teacher makes *in their whole salary* JUST for housing...damn, I need to get out of dodge and head out there! Oh crap, I can't, since I'm a woman. 

It would make my world if some woman went all Yentl on their sexist asses and joined their seminary classes.

• LOL 14
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

When one has descended to buying accessories for one’s accessories, it is time to re-evaluate one’s life priorities. 

It's not as though he doesn't already have some priorities he'd be wise to take a look at...the accessories are just icing on the cake.

• Love 3